Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
John D

Re: Am I a murderer?

Post by John D »

Nec_V20 wrote:I leave it up to you to decide after giving you all the facts at my disposal.
<snip>
What I did caused her to die hours earlier (without pain) than she otherwise would have (in excruciating agony). When however does murder start? At cutting a life short by seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, years? Where is that boundary set?
<snip>
Where does one draw the line?
<snip
Although what I did would meet the criterion of premeditated murder I don't feel like I belong in that class of people alongside the likes of a Ted Bundy
<snip>
Just as I shortened my mother's life and hastened her death but would not consider myself to be a murderer.
Thanks for sharing your story. When black and white rules run into the real world they are not very useful. One of my goals in life is to die under my own terms like your mother. I think she was heroic... whatever that means. There is no question you both did the right thing.

My mother-in-law died while she was in the care of my wife and I. She had terrible heart disease, diabetes, and loss of some of her mental capacity (she could hardly create any new long term memories). Her death was a horrible strain on my wife who had some depression afterward. My mother-in-law was convinced that she had to try every possible medical intervention to save her life. To make a long story short, she was kept alive for weeks on a ventilator slowing sinking away in horrible pain. She was too weak to get off the respirator. Her body started to decay and the family could only visit her with masks on due to the dangerous bacteria. The family finally decided to follow the doctor's advice to "aggressively control her pain." This was basically code for giving her enough morphine to stop her breathing.

Most of us have not learned how to die. I hope I make good choices when my time comes.

Apples

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by Apples »

Lulz esp. if you're familiar with white trash Massachusetts culture - Matt C. I'm looking at you (from the go fuck yourself cuffy dude):

[youtube]sGlMeIfgREQ[/youtube]

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

CuntajusRationality wrote:
Yeah, sure. The idea of incentivizing behavior is just a made up social construct, kind of like gender, right? :roll:

As to the comparison with CrackerGate, as others have already pointed out, that's not really a fair comparison given the target in that case was merely an inanimate wafer whereas the target this time is an actual person. If you don't think the difference matters we should probably agree to disagree because I don't think there's enough common ground between us on this point.

As to your suggestion that contacting U. of M. is some kind of "middle school revenge fantasy" whereas your idea is presumably some noble call to action - I say that's complete and utter bullshit. What in the actual fuck do you think has been happening over the last several years, if not "fighting him socially" and people trying to "make him a pariah"? How has that worked out so far in terms of preventing him from being a menace to people IRL?

Look, I get that you don't think it's the right move. Fine with me, and I largely agree with you about it not being likely to be effective. I'm not even arguing that people should, in fact, contact U. of M. so much as I am just arguing that it should not be taken completely off the table for some kind of moral or ethical reasons.

But for the love of all that is holy, please stop with the shitty arguments trying to prove that it's "wrong" whereas your approach is "right". Your argument here is about as convincing as me saying your plan to make him a pariah is just some kind of middle-school mean-girls revenge fantasy that won't have any real impact, and besides you are just emulating PZ Myers himself (considering how much time he spends picking social fights and trying to make pariahs out of his ideological opponents). That would be a bullshit argument and I don't really see much difference between this and what you just said.
You understand incentive behavior is to appeal to an early, non-adult level of socialization right? Clean your room, get a cookie. Bilk a widow out of her savings, get a bonus. Create a financial crisis the plunges the world into an economic collapse, a bigger bonus.

So your baffle-garble doesn't work on me. And I'm sure it doesn't work on lots of adults who understand it and it certainly does not work in the long-run or to the health of the organization or society. And we've got a lot of behavioral, financial and economic models that show why all across multiple disciplines in economics, psychology and business.

Rather, it just serves a hole to be exploited by the dishonest and disingenuous starting with the child who must be bribed to do what he should be doing.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:I finally got around to reading about CrackerGate. PZ really is a coward with a pattern of getting others to do the dirty work.

There are plenty of Catholic churches near him. And, yet, he asks others to steal consecrated wafers to send to him so that he can desecrate them in the privacy and safety of his own home, while taking pictures and videos.

What an utter coward.

- - -

Also, I saw that he brushed off the anger aimed at him for CrackerGate by calling it "satire and protest" (http://web.archive.org/web/200902040016 ... 13139.html). But the same defense is not available to Matt and Skep?

That is correct. It's all-good when he does it. It's all bad when done to him or something he supports.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

TiBo wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I'm off to the mountains. Se you sunday evening.
Footage of Phil has arrived, showing him celebrate his new found health and freedom. :mrgreen:

http://i.imgur.com/X7dleqM.gif
lol. Thank you for that...

Rat Bastard

Post by Rat Bastard »

I think a full page ad peppered with quotes from PZ would be a good plan. Let his own words do the work and it would be tough for tentacle rape enthusiast PZ Myers to claim it is hate speech.
What it might do is inform the students and other on campus what kind of asshole he truly is and make it uncomfortable for him to show his face. If he really is the meek person in IRL that people say he is not only could it cause him discomfort but it would also inform his students, colleagues what he is really like when he isn't face to face.
That, and when he is sitting in class all those mermaids glaring back at the lecher that he really is would take some of the fun out of his fantasy life.[/quote]

Now this even I could get behind. It's the normal hijinx the Pit likes to indulge in. I really like the idea of using his own quotes. Something like, as has been said, "Slymepit, Exposing the lies and hypocrisy of the social justice warriors since 2012" at the top, with the PZ shoop (minus the words) of I pooped in my resume, or even use a regular pic that makes him look decent, and his quotes going throughout.....especially his mermaid dream.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Myers shouldn't be angry that people think he has an STD. After all, as Elyse points out, it's a compliment:

LurkerPerson

Post by LurkerPerson »

There's an interesting documentary starring Terry Pratchett dealing with assisted suicide. I'm a fan of Terry Pratchett, and tbh the last book I enjoyed from him was Nightwatch. I get the feeling his disease started to...affect his writing. He can't even type himself anymore, but has to use a proxy. He has alzeihmer's btw, and plans on ending it if no cure is found (probable) and he feels he is really losing his memory and personality.

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 »

John D wrote:
Nec_V20 wrote:I leave it up to you to decide after giving you all the facts at my disposal.
<snip>
What I did caused her to die hours earlier (without pain) than she otherwise would have (in excruciating agony). When however does murder start? At cutting a life short by seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, years? Where is that boundary set?
<snip>
<snip
Although what I did would meet the criterion of premeditated murder I don't feel like I belong in that class of people alongside the likes of a Ted Bundy
<snip>
Just as I shortened my mother's life and hastened her death but would not consider myself to be a murderer.
Thanks for sharing your story. When black and white rules run into the real world they are not very useful. One of my goals in life is to die under my own terms like your mother. I think she was heroic... whatever that means. There is no question you both did the right thing.

My mother-in-law died while she was in the care of my wife and I. She had terrible heart disease, diabetes, and loss of some of her mental capacity (she could hardly create any new long term memories). Her death was a horrible strain on my wife who had some depression afterward. My mother-in-law was convinced that she had to try every possible medical intervention to save her life. To make a long story short, she was kept alive for weeks on a ventilator slowing sinking away in horrible pain. She was too weak to get off the respirator. Her body started to decay and the family could only visit her with masks on due to the dangerous bacteria. The family finally decided to follow the doctor's advice to "aggressively control her pain." This was basically code for giving her enough morphine to stop her breathing.

Most of us have not learned how to die. I hope I make good choices when my time comes.
I'm sorry for the memories I dredged up for you with my post.

It's my autism thing. The posts on the thread reminded me of the situation back then but I did not take into account how my post might hurt someone like you.

On the other hand, would the thread have been better without my post?

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

John Greg wrote:
Jesus Brive, reel it in a bit would you? I mean, at least try for some semblance of sense and intelligence. I know you have it in you.

snip

And, to repeat what has already been said, why don't you ask Skep if she actually wants you to carry out this fucking jihad of yours, or not. Not a sympathy fucking note, you raging dissembler, but an actual "Are you comfortable with me carrying out this personal jihad on your behalf" kind of a note.
[youtube]DIlG9aSMCpg[/youtube]

DERKA DERKA MUHAMMAD JIHAD

http://beta.mytimewaster.com/lols/image ... -twins.jpg

Your post is absolutely haram, by the way.

TiBo

Post by TiBo »

Nec_V20 wrote:...Just as I shortened my mother's life and hastened her death but would not consider myself to be a murderer.
It's quite clear how hard it is to balance society's legitimate interest in keeping potentially abusive situations under control and people's rights to control their own destiny, which includes asking for help from those who are intimately connected to them.

I'm not even sure if the law should be considered the arbiter of these things. And in an absurd way, medicine is in part to blame for this problem, delaying death without raising the quality of life in the same way. There's not much an individual can do about it. Almost broke my heart when my own grandmother didn't recognise me anymore when I came to visit her one day. She was never diagnosed with Alzheimer or any other serious illness, but it became clearer and clearer that the person I used to know had already ceased to exist before her body gave in. :think:

John D

Post by John D »

Nec_V20 wrote:
I'm sorry for the memories I dredged up for you with my post.

It's my autism thing. The posts on the thread reminded me of the situation back then but I did not take into account how my post might hurt someone like you.

On the other hand, would the thread have been better without my post?
Hey - honestly.... I really liked your post. Please don't feel bad.

Just to lighten the mood, I will tell a story about my mom-in-law. As I said before, she couldn't make any long term memories. This is because of brain damage suffered during heart failure where she was sort of dead for a while. This made it REALLY hard for us.... but it was funny sometimes.

We were sitting watching TV and mom looks at an old antique shaving mug we had. She said, "Hey, that mug is from my father... you know... we should get a brush to put in there to make it look better." I replied in the affirmative. We watched TV for about 5 more minutes. Then she said "Hey, that mug is from my father..." and I interrupted her and said "Yeah! and we need to get a brush to put in there to make it look better!" Haha. And she looked at me like I just read her fucking mind! Haha. Same words and everything. I just kept a straight face and she thought some cosmic shit had just happened. Of course, she forgot the whole incident two minutes later.

I will not share the story of how she took too many stool softeners.... yikes!

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

James Caruthers wrote:[youtube]DIlG9aSMCpg[/youtube]

You're triggering my Mistress Miri, you racist scum!
What makes a criticism of Islam racialized? Some examples:

The “durka durka Muhammad jihad“-style gibberish favored by Trey Parker, Matt Stone, and other comedians who fancy themselves clever for basically saying “this language sounds weird to me because I don’t understand it” is racialized. It’s the adult version of the “haha, you sound / smell / look funny!” taunt familiar to many non-white people. It’s Othering in its most basic form.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

free thoughtpolice wrote:John D wrote:
Also, Bristol Palin was punchin some dood in the head and he slammed her to the ground. There was blood and cops... haha... Merica is great... You Europeans and Aussies are fucking boring.
I saw that in the news. :lol: Apparently Tod and Track got into the action too. If that makes it into the Alaskan Cops show I'll have to make a point of watching that episode.
The account by The Smoking Gun includes:
OCTOBER 9--Alaska prosecutors will not be filing charges in connection with last month’s drunken brawl involving members of the Palin family and other attendees at a booze-soaked birthday party.

In light of that decision, Anchorage Police Department officials released assorted--and highly entertaining--reports detailing the September 6 brawl that ignited after the Palins arrived at the bash in a white limousine.

The reports list Bristol Palin, 23, as a suspect, her brother Track, 26, as a victim, and Sarah Palin and her husband Todd as witnesses. A third Palin child, 20-year-old Willow, is identified as a “person interviewed.”

According to cops, Bristol appeared “heavily intoxicated” during questioning, and claimed that she had confronted a woman who had pushed her sister. Bristol claimed that the party’s host was “calling her a cunt and slut” and that she was pushed to the ground and pulled “around on the grass by her feet.”
Read the rest at the link above.

Cliché Guevara

Post by Cliché Guevara »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Cliché Guevara wrote:
Cavanaugh's post, to me, was a perfect encapsulation of the problem with any attempts to "broaden" our outreach: an incoherent mixture of serious criticisms and inside-joke trolling that looks stupid as hell to anyone not in on the joke (i.e., no one seriously thinks his dream of a classroom full of mermaids is a serious sign of sexual depravity, no one seriously thinks his clumsy attempt at risque onstage banter was serious sexual harassment of a woman, no one seriously thinks he got the clap, and presenting all these meta-ironic deconstructions of hypocrisy with the same straight-faced seriousness as the valid points just looks retarded to any casual reader).
I do consider his publishing of sex dreams about students unethical; his attempt at risque sexual banter to a stranger before a live audience in severely poor taste and, yes, sexist. I never seriously thought he caught the clap.

Most importantly, PZ thinks those sort of things are sexist, hence the hypocrisy. And, though PZ immediately declared the clap speculation preposterous and completely unbelievable - thus acknowledging it as a joke -- he was surely incensed by it, and felt justified in making a vicious attack against Skep tickle in retribution -- for a joke. Again, hypocrisy on PZ's part, for he has let fly a torrent of far more serious, and deadly earnest, insinuations, smears & accusations, without the slightest care how they might cause harm. He can dish it out but he can't take it.

I'm please that so many of you expressed your pleasure in reading my post. I don't mind others criticizing it. Tastes differ. I just want to emphasize that my purpose was not to indict PZ on a list of charges, rather to expose his hypocrisy -- hence the title, "PZ Myers' Glass House."

And honestly, if the broader opinion of whoever actually read my post, is that it's "incoherent","stupid", and filled with "inside jokes." then so much the better. Because then PZ's response to it appears all that much more out of proportion and indefensible. NB: I was writing for an audience of one.
As we all know, the FTBullies prefer, if at all possible, to only link to other members of the cult compound when discussing the latest heresy. So you find Peezus linking to Ophelia's post about Adam Lee's post about Rebecca Watson's tweet taking issue with something Dawkins said. If you want to read Dawkins' words in their original context for yourself, free of all the FTB telephone game additions, you'll have to go look for them yourself. Most of the horde, of course, won't bother with all that effort, and some of them are too terrified to even consider the idea.

My point being, Peezus reprinted your entire post on his blog. If you had said anything truly embarrassing about him, he would have likely ignored it, or, if he felt he had no choice but to acknowledge it, he would have probably selected the weakest parts to excerpt while saying something like, "I'm not going to directly link to his tripe, because I can't afford to buy you all the hazmat suits you would need to go visit such a vile cesspool of rapey slymepitter filth. Trust me, it's a paranoid, delusional mess." Instead, he felt confident that you would look ridiculous without his help. Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't be crowing about that.

CuntajusRationality

Post by CuntajusRationality »

Tribble wrote:
Yeah, sure. The idea of incentivizing behavior is just a made up social construct, kind of like gender, right? :roll:

As to the comparison with CrackerGate, as others have already pointed out, that's not really a fair comparison given the target in that case was merely an inanimate wafer whereas the target this time is an actual person. If you don't think the difference matters we should probably agree to disagree because I don't think there's enough common ground between us on this point.

As to your suggestion that contacting U. of M. is some kind of "middle school revenge fantasy" whereas your idea is presumably some noble call to action - I say that's complete and utter bullshit. What in the actual fuck do you think has been happening over the last several years, if not "fighting him socially" and people trying to "make him a pariah"? How has that worked out so far in terms of preventing him from being a menace to people IRL?

Look, I get that you don't think it's the right move. Fine with me, and I largely agree with you about it not being likely to be effective. I'm not even arguing that people should, in fact, contact U. of M. so much as I am just arguing that it should not be taken completely off the table for some kind of moral or ethical reasons.

But for the love of all that is holy, please stop with the shitty arguments trying to prove that it's "wrong" whereas your approach is "right". Your argument here is about as convincing as me saying your plan to make him a pariah is just some kind of middle-school mean-girls revenge fantasy that won't have any real impact, and besides you are just emulating PZ Myers himself (considering how much time he spends picking social fights and trying to make pariahs out of his ideological opponents). That would be a bullshit argument and I don't really see much difference between this and what you just said.
You understand incentive behavior is to appeal to an early, non-adult level of socialization right? Clean your room, get a cookie. Bilk a widow out of her savings, get a bonus. Create a financial crisis the plunges the world into an economic collapse, a bigger bonus.

So your baffle-garble doesn't work on me. And I'm sure it doesn't work on lots of adults who understand it and it certainly does not work in the long-run or to the health of the organization or society. And we've got a lot of behavioral, financial and economic models that show why all across multiple disciplines in economics, psychology and business.

Rather, it just serves a hole to be exploited by the dishonest and disingenuous starting with the child who must be bribed to do what he should be doing.
Sorry I don't know what the fuck you are talking about now. The idea that incentives "appeal to an early, non-adult level of socialization" seems so ludicrous that I assume I am misunderstanding you on this point. Are you saying that some adults don't respond to incentives, as in "carrots and sticks"? Which is what I'm talking about when I say incentives.

If that is what you're saying, I'm not even sure how to respond other than to ask what planet are you living on where some adults don't respond to incentives, who are these adults, and what motivates their behavior if not, at least in part, some kind of incentives? If that's not what you're saying, would you mind clarifying?

Keep in mind I'm not claiming that external incentives are the only way to influence behavior, or the most effective way, or even that they will likely be effective in this instance - but I don't see how anyone can argue that they do not work at all on some adults. Please tell me I have misunderstood your meaning.

Dave

Post by Dave »

John D wrote:
<snip>
<snip>
<snip
<snip>

My FIL spent the last several weeks of his life in a hospital. While I primarily played a supportive and advisory role to my wife and her family, I distinctly recall stepping in at the end when the doctors were reluctant to increase his pain medication. I ended up engaging in an odd verbal dance with his chief doctor, as we both knew the proper course of action but for the hospital's liability concerns, no one could request it directly. We had to feel our way around what we could request until we found some phraseology that doctors felt would protect their assess while still achieving the appropriate result.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

pajh wrote:Just on the apology - by that logic if I suggested that someone caught a STD at say burning man - I'd owe both that person *and* the burning man organisation an apology? Because there's no way anything in what Skep tickle actually posted that suggested he the STD came *from* a skepchick was there?
Somehow, the idea that any Skepchick would lower even their standards to have sex with PeeZuss just does not seem ... probable at all. Well to me anyway. Going through the list of the usual suspects I paused a bit at Surly Amy ... no ... not even her ... just not seeing it.

(less there was a whole heap of booze involved?)

CuntajusRationality

Post by CuntajusRationality »

Tribble wrote:Rather, it just serves a hole to be exploited by the dishonest and disingenuous starting with the child who must be bribed to do what he should be doing.
Also, have you forgotten who we are talking about? Dishonest, disingenuous and childlike sounds like a pretty apt description of little Paul, so what reason do you have for suspecting that he's not susceptible to "bribery" if you want to put it that way? This isn't someone with actual character and class that we're talking about here.

Cliché Guevara

Post by Cliché Guevara »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
Cliché Guevara wrote:Personally, I'm still waiting to get a sense of whether the hardliners here ultimately want to take an eye for an eye, win the hearts and minds of the wider community, or embody a distinctly better alternative.

You seem to assume that your retaliation will be the decisive blow that forces them to wise up and back off. They likely assume the same about you. It seems to be part of the tribal warfare template. Why should I believe you're not just likewise rationalizing your desire to get revenge?
I didn't reply to you yesterday, because I had no real response. I could not actually disagree with your depressing prognosis. But today, I'll try.

Assume that the goal is the removal of FTB nastiness and hypocrisy from the internet/conference A/S community. Trying to convert the masses seems unlikely to work, as they out-number the rational (at least in terms of who posts, etc) and you'd have to overcome too much dissonance to get through. Trying to work through organizers seems unlikely to work for pretty much the same reason. Trying to hurt or threaten them IRL is generally inappropriate and likely to backfire. So the only thing that I could come up with was trying to work through well-known "elites" (such as Dawkins, NdGT, Harris, and Nye). That would likely be a slow and difficult process, and require a calmness that is hard to maintain, but that's all I have.

If you have a criticism of this approach, I'd like to hear it now. If you have an alternative, I'd like to hear that, too. You've done the easy and fun part - as in: rag on what some people have suggested. Please do the harder part with us, now, too.
I've gotta be on the road most of the weekend, but I just wanted to acknowledge this. Will do. If I think of anything worthwhile, assuming the conversation hasn't moved much further along by then, I'll get back to you.

For the record, I appreciate Brive's efforts on behalf of Radford, and his attempts to formulate a coherent idea here, rather than just rush in demanding that we've all gotta go hard, go now, c'mon, move move move, he's getting away, you fucking cowards...! I'm not ragging on anything but hotheaded, knee-jerk reactions, and the attempts by a few to browbeat everyone else into lining up with them before we even know what it is they intend to do.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Tony Parsehole wrote:I Wake Up And Prepare My First Meal Of The Day.
By Michael Nugent.

Hello. I'm Michael Nugent, Chairman of Atheist Ireland.
This morning I woke up at 07:01 on Friday the 10th of October 2014 from a sleep of 8 hours 13 minutes.
After leaving my bed, left leg first, I performed my daily ablutions in the bathroom I own.
I then went down the stairs of my house, using the bannister for support, and made my way into the kitchen which is also in my house but downstairs.
After ascertaining there was sufficient water in the kettle with which to make a cup of tea I used the power switch to heat the liquid within to boiling point.
While waiting for the water to boil I removed two slices of Kingsmill Wholewheat bread which I had bought previously from a branch of Tesco near the house I live in. I also bought a number of other items that day along with the bread.
I placed these two slices of bread in the toaster. The toaster is an electric machine I used to turn bread into "toast". Due to numerous experimentation with the toaster I have established that works with both brown and white bread.
I then clicked a switch at the side of the toaster which engaged the bread and performed it's transformation into toast.

My kettle has a whistling function which alerts me when the water has reached a sufficient temperature with which to make tea or freeze dried coffee. This temperature of water (circa 100 degrees Celsius) can also be used to make powdered soups and possibly Horlicks malt drink but the latter has yet to be determined with sufficient experimentation.
Upon hearing the whistle (and whilst the bread was engaged in the toaster) I picked up a porcelain white cup with an enamel veneer. This would be the crucible in which I created my hot beverage.
I added a "tea bag" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_bag and one semi-heaped teaspoon of white granulated cane sugar to the cup. I bought the sugar along with the bread but the tea bags and the cup were purchased on a previous separate excursions from both Asda and Homebase respectively.
Once the ingredients were added to the cup I proceeded to use my right hand to pick up the kettle and pour sufficient liquid from it into the cup thus creating the drinkable infusion known as tea.

As I performed this my toaster's automatic expulsion mechanic audibly expelled the bread upwards alerting me to the fact that the bread had become toast.
I removed the "toasts" from the machine and laid them on a white porcelain plate (also purchased from Homebase but on a separate occasion from the purchase of the cup) and proceeded to apply Lurpak butter (Tesco) to them using a flat bladed stainless steel "butter knife" (Homebase) of roughly 7 inches in length.
I added roughly 2 scrapes of butter to the topside of each slice of toast and placed the used knife into a kitchen sink I own. This knife along with all other breakfast accoutrements would be washed some time in the future.

Thank you for reading. I'm Michael Nugent, Chairman of Atheist Ireland. Please read my blog's commenting policy carefully before leaving any written remarks or opinions.

Read more by Michael Nugent:

How I Assimilated The First Meal Of The Day

How I Digested The First Meal Of The Day

How I Excreted Egested The First Meal Of The Day
FTFY

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

TheMudbrooker wrote:
It's entirely possible that I missed the post where you stated what you hope to achieve by contacting PZ's employer and taking out ads in the local paper pointing out his bad conduct. Calls for such action certainly give the appearence of trying to cause him trouble at work, if that's not your intent, what exactly are you trying to do?
And now you have shifted from getting Peez fired to merely "causing trouble at work", whatever that means.

Could you move the goal post again? I don't feel like vacuuming around it.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Tribble wrote:
Thank you, Tribble. For myself, anyone who writes:
What in the actual fuck...
has already made me question their status as a consenting, competent (actually, the latest legal jargon concerning ability to make decisions (yes, this is of daily importance to me) is all about 'capacity' rather than competence, so I suppose I should write 'capacitance' - presumably measured in pF here) person.

BTW, does anyone here have any useful advice about the storage of cornmeal? I have spent half an hour sifting weevils, larvae and those nasty empty shells where a larva has grown out of my cornmeal so I can make some cornbread to go with tonight's supper. Do I really have to freeze it to keep it? Are the FDA's standards for 'insect parts' all wrong? My absolute neutrophil count was 900 today, so I suppose I ought to start being concerned about food contaminants. Get the pip-tazo ready, febrile neutropenia, here I come!

piero

Post by piero »

Sorry to interrupt. This is a public service announcement.

Nice article by Jerry Coyne demolishing John Gray's preposterous review of Dawkins's autobiography.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Kirbmarc wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:[youtube]DIlG9aSMCpg[/youtube]

You're triggering my Mistress Miri, you racist scum!

The “durka durka Muhammad jihad“-style gibberish favored by Trey Parker, Matt Stone, and other comedians who fancy themselves clever for basically saying “this language sounds weird to me because I don’t understand it” is racialized. It’s the adult version of the “haha, you sound / smell / look funny!” taunt familiar to many non-white people. It’s Othering in its most basic form.
When I watch a video of terrorists attacking some desert location, what I usually see is a bunch of clueless plebs walking around with guns, and one guy firing off into a pile of sand, and every 2 seconds his dumbshit buddy yells "allahu snackbar." :lol:

''Allahu ackbar'' is the real-world "derka derka muhammad jihad." :lol:

[youtube]FsF3HspQY6A[/youtube]

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Tribble wrote:

No, Mykeru. You're just stupid ass who thinks he's a warrior while you sit your desk and stroke your dick thinking you're doing the world a favor by acting like an asshole on the Internet and tattling to the UMM (which will accomplish NOTHING, not even get you a polite hand job).
I think the way you sexualized taking action, without really adding anything to the discussion, was absolutely masterful.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Cliché Guevara wrote:My point being, Peezus reprinted your entire post on his blog. If you had said anything truly embarrassing about him, he would have likely ignored it, or, if he felt he had no choice but to acknowledge it, he would have probably selected the weakest parts to excerpt while saying something like, "I'm not going to directly link to his tripe, because I can't afford to buy you all the hazmat suits you would need to go visit such a vile cesspool of rapey slymepitter filth. Trust me, it's a paranoid, delusional mess." Instead, he felt confident that you would look ridiculous without his help. Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't be crowing about that.
That's one interpretation. Here's another: he copy and pasted it so that people would see it in comic sans (one of his games), with bad formatting, and - most of all - without the links. He was actually afraid of the original, so he did something to try to prevent people from seeing the original.

decius

Post by decius »

LurkerPerson wrote:There's an interesting documentary starring Terry Pratchett dealing with assisted suicide. I'm a fan of Terry Pratchett, and tbh the last book I enjoyed from him was Nightwatch. I get the feeling his disease started to...affect his writing. He can't even type himself anymore, but has to use a proxy. He has alzeihmer's btw, and plans on ending it if no cure is found (probable) and he feels he is really losing his memory and personality.

LOL, I know exactly who "LurkerPerson" is.

I didn't think you would actually post here, mate.

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 »

Mykeru,
“Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”
― H.L. Mencken, Prejudices: First Series.
It is not quite so simple when one has been up close and personal with the "begin slitting throats" part of that quote as I have - for instance with my mother.

As far as I am aware he was never - as opposed to myself - involved in the business end of terminating a life.

It is thus very much in the Orphelia Benson or Rebecca Watson "rape" context that his talk is as cheap as theirs and his call to violence just as tawdry.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Dave wrote:My FIL spent the last several weeks of his life in a hospital. While I primarily played a supportive and advisory role to my wife and her family, I distinctly recall stepping in at the end when the doctors were reluctant to increase his pain medication. I ended up engaging in an odd verbal dance with his chief doctor, as we both knew the proper course of action but for the hospital's liability concerns, no one could request it directly. We had to feel our way around what we could request until we found some phraseology that doctors felt would protect their assess while still achieving the appropriate result.
My sympathies, Dave. Until a couple of months ago I did a lot of palliative/terminal care (yes, PZ, as a physician! You want to quote me, you prick?), and (no offense to anyone here) it seems to me that the US is way behind when it comes to caring for the mortally ill. All I read about it is about situations in which life is prolonged far beyond any reasonable calculation of quality:quantity, presumably out of fear of litigation. Thankfully, I live where a different ethic prevails. When my time comes, which will be in about five years by the Binet staging, I can expect my colleagues to helpfully ease my passing. Were I to live a few degrees south, I might expect to be kept alive a few days or weeks longer, but at the expense of destroying—financially—anything I might leave to my wife and child. No thanks. I'll go when I adjudge it to be my time. And when it is time, I shall let my medical license lapse, ask the fascist tit to let me use my real name, and indulge in whatever slanders against PZ seem to me to make my last days worthwhile, should he still be relevant, which I'm glad to say seems unlikely given our current progress. Meantime, I shall change my sig wherever I go on the internet to one I think you might all adopt: "I'm an atheist, and P.Z.Myers doesn't speak for me."

TheMudbrooker

Post by TheMudbrooker »

Mykeru wrote:
TheMudbrooker wrote:
It's entirely possible that I missed the post where you stated what you hope to achieve by contacting PZ's employer and taking out ads in the local paper pointing out his bad conduct. Calls for such action certainly give the appearence of trying to cause him trouble at work, if that's not your intent, what exactly are you trying to do?
And now you have shifted from getting Peez fired to merely "causing trouble at work", whatever that means.

Could you move the goal post again? I don't feel like vacuuming around it.
Right, because getting fired could in no way fall under the heading of "trouble at work". Quit playing semantic games, prove you have the balls you claim to have and answer the fucking question.

pajh

Post by pajh »

Ahh it makes sense seeing as there was no need to apologize to those sexist, abuser protecting skepchicks, she didn't. @skepchick has 2 followers!

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Spike13 wrote:Just spoke to the young man who runs the paper.
Full page ad for around 100.00
(For Phil that would be 5000.00 quatloos and three chickens)
A 'shoop with pz's mermaid text overlaid on top.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Dave2 wrote:What sort of angle do you think is most likely to appeal to conservative students?

Examples of him providing a bad education?

His comments of people like Robin Williams?

The squid fetish?
Forget the 'conservative' student angle. Think what would go like wildfire to the student population.

LurkerPerson

Post by LurkerPerson »

decius wrote:
LurkerPerson wrote:There's an interesting documentary starring Terry Pratchett dealing with assisted suicide. I'm a fan of Terry Pratchett, and tbh the last book I enjoyed from him was Nightwatch. I get the feeling his disease started to...affect his writing. He can't even type himself anymore, but has to use a proxy. He has alzeihmer's btw, and plans on ending it if no cure is found (probable) and he feels he is really losing his memory and personality.

LOL, I know exactly who "LurkerPerson" is.

I didn't think you would actually post here, mate.
OMG DOX. I doubt it though, unless you actually know me from rl. I don't have much of an internet footprint with my actual name.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Forget the 'conservative' student angle. Think what would go like wildfire to the student population.
http://www.manataka.org/images/Mermaid%203.jpg

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Give me Matt Cavanugh's style over Nugent's any day.
He's a nice bloke but his blog is as compelling as the ingredients list on a jar of honey
Ingredients
Honey

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Snapfingers wrote:Tentacle rape connoisseur Biology Professor Paul Myers
Tentacle rape enthusiast PZ Myers
Tentacle rape loving biology professor Paul Myers
Tentacle rape PZ Myers, Morris Minnesota
PZ "Tentacle Rape" Myers
You know who is obsessed with tentacle Rape Porn? PZ Myers.

SEO experts? pls advise how we can get this Project Santorum up and running.
In my little understanding, if you are trying to Googlebomb PZ Meyers, by associating his name with the confirmed fact that he enjoys tentacle rape hentai porn, it helps to highlight the words with non-standard formatting and have them close together, but in a genuine sentence. One example, for those chldish enough to indulge in this ( :liar: ) would be:

It is a matter of self-admitted fact that PZ Meyers, of UM Morris, enjoys the pornograpy style of hentai tentacle rape.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Fuck off (in the best possible way) Pitters! I'm off to the mountains. Se you sunday evening.
Va ton, homme des montagnes.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Mykeru wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
I never saw anything of interest in that movie. Come to think of it, I never saw anything of interest in any Coen Brothers movie. Not funny, not insightful, full of grandstanding. Oh, ok, that might be it.
Says the guy in a country where Jerry Lewis is considered a genius.
I enjoy "Great Balls of Fire", but am not aware of much else he has done.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

TheMudbrooker wrote:
Right, because getting fired could in no way fall under the heading of "trouble at work".
Uh, okay...
Quit playing semantic games.
I admire your shamelessness.

LurkerPerson

Post by LurkerPerson »

So many americans really seem to think France is stuck in some sort of late 19th century timeloop. Get some new stereotypes, brah. And stop cribbing shit from the english.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

bovarchist wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:Give me Matt Cavanugh's style over Nugent's any day.
He's a nice bloke but his blog is as compelling as the ingredients list on a jar of honey
Ingredients
Honey
http://imagemacros.wordpress.com/files/ ... _downs.jpg

windy

Post by windy »

James Caruthers wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
Tribble wrote: I don't do it by idiotic shit like counter-doxxing, trying to get people fired, etc.
Good thing that no one was "counter-doxxed" or that no one is trying to get anyone fired. Right?
I'd just like to reiterate this.

This idea that ANYONE on the Pit was planning to dox PZ is pure bullshit. It seems to have been fabricated by those who do not approve of the methods of people like Mykeru and others who support IRL action.

Doxxing PZ would be something like revealing his personal telephone or home address.

NOBODY has suggested doing this.

It would be incredibly dishonest to continue suggesting that anyone on the "Mykeru/Brive/Sinister/etc" side is advocating doxxing.
James, you ignorant slut. Please practice reading comprehension before accusing people of fabricating things. The "counter-doxxing" refers to Brive's proposal of threatening to release info on horde members as a way to prevent further doxxing over there:

viewtopic.php?p=225694#p225694
General outline -
we publish a manifesto decrying doxxing, committing to continuing our non-doxxing, but threatening swift proportional response to any future Skep tickle level infringement. We are publicly purposely vague, but we privately make it clear to PZ the specifics of what a response would be.

Detailed tasks -
General consensus agreed here (ok that's optimistic)
Matt word-smiths. Moderators edit and draft is PMed to all(?)
Manifesto is published via social media
Specific doxxing info on an especially loved horder is retained by no more than two moderators
Protocols developed for release - hopefully in theory only.
Limited doxxing info provided privately to PZ as "proof of life" - hopefully he will back channel it.
Collective punishment is a shitty idea however carefully you hedge it.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

I'm fully against doxxing or contacting employers or causing any real life issues at all. If something is illegal or actionable I would report it to the relevant authorities but that is as far as it goes. I would not publish it all over the internet. I would simply do it. I refuse to behave like Myers, Benson and Svan. They are nasty, immoral, loathsome people and I would hate to be anything like them.

What others do is their business and if I were Skeptickle I would be looking for a legal solution, if there was one.

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 »

LurkerPerson wrote:So many americans really seem to think France is stuck in some sort of late 19th century timeloop. Get some new stereotypes, brah. And stop cribbing shit from the english.
I am truly shocked and almost speechless!

There is something apart from shit that can be cribbed from the English?

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Nec_V20 wrote:*snip*, with apologies
Beautiful. Thank you very much for taking the time and spending the effort on producing this extremely classy piece of writing.

You should consider submitting this to somewhere like The Guardian, if there's no way you can possibly be prosecuted.

TheMudbrooker

Post by TheMudbrooker »

Mykeru wrote:
TheMudbrooker wrote:
Answer the fucking question.
Uh, okay...I admire your shamelessness.
Holy shit, responding to carefully mined quotes is fun! Now I see why you've been doing it!

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:This is for Pogsurf (on MN's blog):

This is the transcript of the phone-call (courtesy of Carrie Poppy) that PZ made to the AMA.
Brilliant! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Nec_V20 wrote:*snip*, with apologies
Beautiful. Thank you very much for taking the time and spending the effort on producing this extremely classy piece of writing.

You should consider submitting this to somewhere like The Guardian, if there's no way you can possibly be prosecuted.
I just feel sorry now that you have been so kind to me to have signed the petition to ban dihydrogen monoxide.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

LurkerPerson wrote:So many americans really seem to think France is stuck in some sort of late 19th century timeloop. Get some new stereotypes, brah. And stop cribbing shit from the english.
Hey I'm English and I think France is stuck in a 18th century time loop. You've erased my lived experiences...I can't...shaking right now....

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

I enjoy "Great Balls of Fire", but am not aware of much else he has done.
I am probably going to regret this, but, you are confusing Jerry Lee Lewis the musician, with Jerry Lewis the comedian/movie star/telethon king.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Cliché Guevara wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote:
Cliché Guevara wrote:Personally, I'm still waiting to get a sense of whether the hardliners here ultimately want to take an eye for an eye, win the hearts and minds of the wider community, or embody a distinctly better alternative.

You seem to assume that your retaliation will be the decisive blow that forces them to wise up and back off. They likely assume the same about you. It seems to be part of the tribal warfare template. Why should I believe you're not just likewise rationalizing your desire to get revenge?
I didn't reply to you yesterday, because I had no real response. I could not actually disagree with your depressing prognosis. But today, I'll try.

Assume that the goal is the removal of FTB nastiness and hypocrisy from the internet/conference A/S community. Trying to convert the masses seems unlikely to work, as they out-number the rational (at least in terms of who posts, etc) and you'd have to overcome too much dissonance to get through. Trying to work through organizers seems unlikely to work for pretty much the same reason. Trying to hurt or threaten them IRL is generally inappropriate and likely to backfire. So the only thing that I could come up with was trying to work through well-known "elites" (such as Dawkins, NdGT, Harris, and Nye). That would likely be a slow and difficult process, and require a calmness that is hard to maintain, but that's all I have.

If you have a criticism of this approach, I'd like to hear it now. If you have an alternative, I'd like to hear that, too. You've done the easy and fun part - as in: rag on what some people have suggested. Please do the harder part with us, now, too.
For the record, I appreciate Brive's efforts on behalf of Radford, and his attempts to formulate a coherent idea here, rather than just rush in demanding that we've all gotta go hard, go now, c'mon, move move move, he's getting away, you fucking cowards...! I'm not ragging on anything but hotheaded, knee-jerk reactions, and the attempts by a few to browbeat everyone else into lining up with them before we even know what it is they intend to do.
Thanks for that. I've taken a happy pill today. Which didn't survive the realisation Skep has had to follow the counter-libel 101 play book of apology and if practical the take down of material.

:x

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

People have already stated where they stand, no amount of argument is going to change anybody's mind. But, if it amuses you, have fun.

Regardless of where you stand on the issue, it would be nice if there was an easily accessible repository of all the various links, quotes and whatnot. Besides Strawkins....

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

deLurch wrote:
Spike13 wrote:Just spoke to the young man who runs the paper.
Full page ad for around 100.00
(For Phil that would be 5000.00 quatloos and three chickens)
A 'shoop with pz's mermaid text overlaid on top.
Seconded. And for the truly obtuse a line "what are the ethical boundaries for a Professor with duty of care over his students?"

I am happy to contribute $

PM me.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

The Pit is gay lately.

windy

Post by windy »

Kirbmarc wrote: You're triggering my Mistress Miri, you racist scum!

Börk, börk börk börk?

http://static02.mediaite.com/themarysue ... 50x309.png

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Tony Parsehole wrote:The Pit is gay lately.
Hard to be lulzy after what happened to Skeptickle. But I think soon the lulz will be fast and furious.

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 »

TheMudbrooker wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
TheMudbrooker wrote:
Answer the fucking question.
Uh, okay...I admire your shamelessness.
Holy shit, responding to carefully mined quotes is fun! Now I see why you've been doing it!
I would beg to disagree with your signature to a certain extent:
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts while the stupid ones are full of confidence
The stupid ones espouse knowledge whilst the ignorant ones effuse confidence.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

windy wrote:
James, you ignorant slut. Please practice reading comprehension before accusing people of fabricating things. The "counter-doxxing" refers to Brive's proposal of threatening to release info on horde members as a way to prevent further doxxing over there:

Collective punishment is a shitty idea however carefully you hedge it.
Let's be clear. No one is advocating an immediate unilateral doxxing in response to the skep atrocity.

Does that need to be a signature text?

It was proposed that FtB be given the lever to pull in response to future doxxing. And this be clearly communicated.

Amazing how phrasing shapes a concept.