Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
dogen

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by dogen »

JacquesCuze wrote:[youtube]-Njt5FsU5Xc[/youtube]

It's somewhat amusing to hear the Seattle Cop in this interview worry about virtual rape in modded games but never mention all the assault and murder. Seattle cops are apparently okay with that.

But I do wonder, what is the basic ehow of how modded games work?

How do modders mod games - why would any other user see their modded version of a game?
In a word, no. Unless you can hack the upstream repository from which a game is distributed (e.g., the Steam platform), you're only altering your own personal copy of the game, and the opportunities for impacting other copies of the game are very limited.

Now certainly, with clever scripting it's possible to make your avatar in a multi-player server do things that would be difficult to coordinate 'by hand' using a game controller -- e.g., perform rhythmic humping actions. And if you had the ability to upload your own skins for the avatar (which many servers allow), you could certainly make yourself look naked. But it would be wrong to label either of these as 'modding' -- both fit within the parameters of the normal game experience.

I'm highly skeptical, however, of the claims in the video clip that you can force another player to stand still while you hump them with your apparently naked avatar (unless the ability to paralyze other players already exists in the game mechanics). The events being portrayed in the video are, I think, either staged by multiple players (with the 'victim' being one of these), or occur when the 'victim' is standing still and unaware of their surroundings (e.g., because they've gone for a piss IRL).

The latter case is broadly equivalent to me dressing up in a skin-colored suit, and then getting a mate to videotape me air-humping when someone (the 'victim') is standing still in the background. By trick of perspective, we make it look like I'm naked and fucking them. OMG, RAEP!

The overall level of journalism demonstrated in the clip can't help remind me of this Brass Eye episode:

[youtube]RcU7FaEEzNU[/youtube]

(For those not from the UK: a lot of the people interviewed are well-known celebs who had no problem in repeating obvious bullshit -- because, hey, paedophilia is bad!)

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Woo hoo! YouTube gizmo worked! Thanks, SN.

Now all I have to do is learn to fix typos before hitting Submit.

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

Michael J wrote:One of the online magazines (Slate or Salon or something) was discussing the sexism in gaming and quoted the statistic that more women than men play games. Were they talking about all games or just the shooters that we are discussing here?
At the end of the day it is going to be the game buyers who determine the games. I guess that you can knock a lot of the rough edges from the games and still not affect gameplay. However, if the major franchises hurt the gameplay then it will allow a lot of new entrants who will produce what the punters want.
Considering the "45% of video game players are women" statistic I've heard most recently (it might be conflated to 54% by now) takes in numbers from social media games like Farmville & Candy Crush Saga, it's no shock to me that they'd use it as a crowbar to lever their way on to the scene, especially with the "lying with statistics" thing. If you looked at retail games, I wouldn't be terribly shocked to learn that 35% of gamers out there are women, but I would be surprised to learn just how many of them felt that "sexism in gaming" was oh so much more important than gameplay or story.

Full disclosure: I've run into maybe 30 retail-gamers that happened to be women in the 15 years and most of them were on MMOs. So I'm giving a large margin of error, and acknowledging that I have indeed pulled the 35% number out of my ass.

The "gamer-girl" rather than "girl-gamer" as I've mentioned in the past. It's all in what they put first, and the ones that put girl first tend to be the loudest and bitchiest.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Za-zen wrote:
Søren Lilholt wrote:
Old ones wrote:[Sarkeesian] is a lying sack of shit, and because a misrepresentation of the game was more helpful to her narrative than a fair representation would have been.
That Sarkeesian is a systematic liar has been proven beyond any rational doubt. This really is a line in the sand as far as I'm concerned - there is simply no defending someone with this level of mendacity.

If feminism as an intellectual movement is to maintain any credibility whatsoever, it MUST reject this nonsense. No self-respecting field would ever take Sarkeesian's dismal work seriously. It is so peppered with lies as to be the Feminist equivalent of a creationist tract.

For example, is PZ "Myers" Meyers really going to align himself with the output of a woman who rejects the science of biology? HE'S A FUCKING PROFESSIONAL BIOLOGIST!! Or does feminism trump science now?

This is all shades of fucked up.
I may be incorrect, but has he slammed theist scientists who choose to compartmentalise their ideology from their study?
He used to piss on Francis Collins for doing exactly that.
Reverend Peezus wrote:
Finally, my objections rest on an important word: integrity. Collins hasn’t got it.

I don’t mean integrity in the sense of being honest and having strong moral principles; I think Collins is entirely sincere, and he doesn’t seem to be the type to have ever crossed any lines of ethical behavior, except perhaps in his taste in music.

I mean integrity as in the condition of being unified, unimpaired, or sound in construction. He’s a jumble of intellectual contradictions, and when you read any of his interviews, he comes off as an amiable lightweight. I’d rather have someone who can think like a scientist in charge than yet another Jebusite with an evangelical agenda.
http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2009 ... lmost-eve/

Cliché Guevara

Post by Cliché Guevara »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Cabal wrote:
another lurker wrote:After watching "What the Bleep do We Know"

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0399877/

I learned that simply through the amazing power of quantum thought that I could simply will myself to be faster, better, stronger, have bigger bosoms, etc!
i initially misread that as "have bigger bosons"

but probably can have those too through quantum woo
Uggh. I went to see that on the advice of a friend who knew nothing about science. After about 30 minutes, I stood up, turned around, gave the audience a few words on real QM, pointed to the screen and said, "but, this -- this is total bullshit," and walked out.
I kid you not.
"...But that's nothing compared to the time a chick I was dating dragged me to see Shakespeare in Love. A quarter of the way through, I got so nauseated by it, I stood up and started laying some De Vereian truth upon the audience. I had them eating out of my hand, but just before I could cinch the deal by explaining the connection between The Tempest and De Vere's ownership of a ship named Tiger, a fucking Stratfordian drilled me right in the eye with a half-eaten Good & Plenty. Couldn't see it coming in the dim light. GF had to drive us home, we didn't speak the whole way. I dumped her a couple days later."

dogen

Post by dogen »

dogen wrote:

It's somewhat amusing to hear the Seattle Cop in this interview worry about virtual rape in modded games but never mention all the assault and murder. Seattle cops are apparently okay with that.

How do modders mod games - why would any other user see their modded version of a game?
In a word, no. Unless you can hack the upstream repository from which a game is distributed (e.g., the Steam platform), you're only altering your own personal copy of the game, and the opportunities for impacting other copies of the game are very limited.

Now certainly, with clever scripting it's possible to make your avatar in a multi-player server do things that would be difficult to coordinate 'by hand' using a game controller -- e.g., perform rhythmic humping actions. And if you had the ability to upload your own skins for the avatar (which many servers allow), you could certainly make yourself look naked. But it would be wrong to label either of these as 'modding' -- both fit within the parameters of the normal game experience.

I'm highly skeptical, however, of the claims in the video clip that you can force another player to stand still while you hump them with your apparently naked avatar (unless the ability to paralyze other players already exists in the game mechanics). The events being portrayed in the video are, I think, either staged by multiple players (with the 'victim' being one of these), or occur when the 'victim' is standing still and unaware of their surroundings (e.g., because they've gone for a piss IRL).

The latter case is broadly equivalent to me dressing up in a skin-colored suit, and then getting a mate to videotape me air-humping when someone (the 'victim') is standing still in the background. By trick of perspective, we make it look like I'm naked and fucking them. OMG, RAEP!

The overall level of journalism demonstrated in the clip can't help remind me of this Brass Eye episode:

(For those not from the UK: a lot of the people interviewed are well-known celebs who had no problem in repeating obvious bullshit -- because, hey, paedophilia is bad!)
See in particular the segment beginning 20:15 -- but it's all outstanding, and you should watch it all.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

I love the Brass Eye. The original fake news show. The Daily Show can thank Chris Morris for that!

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

dogen wrote:

Around 1999 I had a brief contract with SegaSoft to create a new version of heat.net that would give players the ability to upload small lispish programs to modify and script their characters. Oddly, IIRC, these small programs would not run solely on the heat.net servers, but would actually be downloaded to your pc. Was a fun idea. I think I worked there about three weeks before their whole r&d division I was working for was nuked. Oh well.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Meyers's morons are discussing the word "butthurt", which they believe is punching down on gay men, children and...PoC (honestly).

http://i.imgur.com/81imIxR.png

Doubleplus good idea, Comrade.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-842769

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Meyers's morons are discussing the word "butthurt", which they believe is punching down on gay men, children and...PoC (honestly).

http://i.imgur.com/81imIxR.png

Doubleplus good idea, Comrade.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-842769
If only there was an alternative explanation that didn't involve actually shoving things in the pooper.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/dr/hln/www/rel ... anking.jpg

But I can't think what that might be.

austin

Post by austin »

PZ is finally taking on someone his own size and level of mentality - Vox Day. Maybe they should have a debate, might be as fun as watching clowns get cream pied or mud wrestling.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

By the way, here's actual footage of ConcentratedH20 and I uniting against a common enemy.

[youtube]yrDXseJRJIk[/youtube]

Although, he seriously needs a haircut.

Mzone

Post by Mzone »

Maybe this video will have some intrinsic value to the pit, comparable to the Beyonce or Wrecking Ball videos.

[youtube]fv--npievoI[/youtube]

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

There was a huntard in WoW with the awesome character name "bumhurts".

Cool story, I no.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

I'm new to a lot of this and haven't seen one of those Thunderdome threads before, but I'm tempted to say, with regards to their bitching about Dawkins' apology for Dear Muslima, that apologies are especially difficult to make when you weren't wrong and you know it. But I'm not ready to be banned yet. I had an interesting time in one of PZ's threads a few days ago ad might want to go back.

Unless you tell me that posting there somehow gets him money. I have an ad-blocked, but that's it. (Not that I begrudge PZ the money; just that I'm saving up for a t-shirt.)

ConcentratedH2O, OM

BarnOwl wrote:Ophelia copypastes an article about a squabble over reclining seats and Knee Defenders on a flight (truly a first world problem if there ever was one), and much hilarity ensues in the comments. Everyone, it seems, has a major disability that somehow requires that they travel by air, and that they either a. absolutely must sit bolt upright with room for their legs OR b. absolutely must recline the seat to accommodate their warped anatomy.

:popcorn:
Absolutely fucking insane.

http://i.imgur.com/QvR8bVS.png
Will you, you fucking moron? Consider me in.

http://i.imgur.com/8WeWjaC.png
The move will leave you with $5,000 to live on for a year? I think someone is lying by omission here about their actual income.

http://i.imgur.com/e2GsuTN.png
Hipster prick. You deserve what you get.

http://i.imgur.com/YtG4pLc.png
You are just a straight up and down selfish cunt who k=makes shit up just to gain privilege with which to beat others over the head.

http://i.imgur.com/yk7WkbL.png
Woah, hang on!
You cannot just take away someone else's privilege because it inconveniences you.
I suspect the hand of a troll on this one. Surely.

austin

Post by austin »

Never liked the Hulk. Seems like a dumb idea about a superhero with overblown anger management issues like PZ Myers.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

austin wrote:Never liked the Hulk. Seems like a dumb idea about a superhero with overblown anger management issues like PZ Myers.
At least the Hulk worked as an actual scientist!

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Mykeru wrote:By the way, here's actual footage of ConcentratedH20 and I uniting against a common enemy.

[youtube]yrDXseJRJIk[/youtube]

Although, he seriously needs a haircut.
I always pictured it more like this:

http://i.imgur.com/j0MYMm2.jpg

You're the one with the tramp stamp.

austin

Post by austin »

another lurker wrote:
austin wrote:Never liked the Hulk. Seems like a dumb idea about a superhero with overblown anger management issues like PZ Myers.
At least the Hulk worked as an actual scientist!
BAM, you got me there baby! I saw The Happy Atheist on the bookshelf the other day, but avoided the temptation to read it lest I be converted to Christianity in response.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

dogen wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
another lurker wrote:
Like Southern, the only song that I really like from Dark Side is 'Time'.
The piano and sax in the Final Cut are a strangely effective combo. Us and Them on Dark Side is good, plus Clare Torry's wailing. Hearing George Hrab try to do that cracked me up. :lol:
Anyone listened to 'Dub Side of the Moon'? It's rather good...

[youtube]VJEZWsnIECo[/youtube]
They also did rather tasty verion of Sgt Pepper and Thriller.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Daily reminder: Please vote for me here, once a day until Sept 9. Thanks!

http://burnabynewsleader.upickem.net/en ... TORDER&#SD

DeepInsideYourMind

Post by DeepInsideYourMind »

So far today on twitter, in support of Sarkesian...

Joss Whedon
Boing Boing
Polygon
DJGrothe
Daring Fireball

I think this battle is near lost, disagreeing with the narrative now is dangerous to many peoples careers

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

windy wrote:Game over dudebros. Whedon puts his foot down.
Good thing we wouldn't find any bias toward sexual presentation of women if we were to cherry-pick his own work!

http://karlismyunkle.files.wordpress.co ... pr-011.jpg
Hmmm? I just tweeted that pic to them both.

DeepInsideYourMind

Oh and Sarkesian is now repositioning herself as a "woman in tech". .... I suspect as its a bigger potential market to exploit

Cabal

Post by Cabal »

DeepInsideYourMind wrote:So far today on twitter, in support of Sarkesian...

Joss Whedon
Boing Boing
Polygon
DJGrothe
Daring Fireball

I think this battle is near lost, disagreeing with the narrative now is dangerous to many peoples careers
Was Tim Schafer today or yesterday?

And DJ Grothe's supporting her?

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Joss Whedon
Boing Boing
Polygon
DJGrothe
Daring Fireball

IMO it depends on whether her crap has any effect on video games. If the worst thing that happens is a lot of lip-service and a few videogames where the protagonist is flat chested woman in a burqa, I don't really see it as a huge deal.

If people actually get sacked over disagreeing with her, that would also suck.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:I'm new to a lot of this and haven't seen one of those Thunderdome threads before, but I'm tempted to say, with regards to their bitching about Dawkins' apology for Dear Muslima, that apologies are especially difficult to make when you weren't wrong and you know it. But I'm not ready to be banned yet. I had an interesting time in one of PZ's threads a few days ago ad might want to go back.

Unless you tell me that posting there somehow gets him money. I have an ad-blocked, but that's it. (Not that I begrudge PZ the money; just that I'm saving up for a t-shirt.)

Rumor has it that posting here is grounds for being banned from Der PeeZuss Bunker.

Just saying.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

AndrewV69 wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote:I'm new to a lot of this and haven't seen one of those Thunderdome threads before, but I'm tempted to say, with regards to their bitching about Dawkins' apology for Dear Muslima, that apologies are especially difficult to make when you weren't wrong and you know it. But I'm not ready to be banned yet. I had an interesting time in one of PZ's threads a few days ago ad might want to go back.

Rumor has it that posting here is grounds for being banned from Der PeeZuss Bunker.

Just saying.
Its not just rumor...
Peezus wrote: The Lymepit
Lately, some people with a notorious history of repulsive behavior and an association with a place of ill-repute called the Slymepit have taken to blatantly trolling here to get recognition of their vile behavior. They are thrown into the dungeon all right, but I’m not going to grant them any notoriety by mentioning them — they just get namelessly blocked without acknowledgment.
http://web.archive.org/web/201305230350 ... a/dungeon/

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

AndrewV69 wrote:Rumor has it that posting here is grounds for being banned from Der PeeZuss Bunker.

Just saying.
I thought that I'd only be added to the silly Block_Bot (which is irrelevant as I abhor [and eschew] twitter). I'm still able to post on Atheism+ and FtB as of now.

austin

Post by austin »

Joss Whedon
Boing Boing
Polygon
DJGrothe
Daring Fireball

Maybe. I think the real battle is with game makers themselves. They are as likely to say FUCK YOU - this is a fucking game, it ain't reality for you braindead idiots who can't tell the difference - we'll make games which are as deliberately over the top as people want to play. Anita Sarkeesian is in reality no different than Anita Bryant. Censorship on the left is no less sickening than censorship on the right. If you don't like to see guys get their heads blown off or girls doing dances in strip clubs, don't play the fucking game, play the latest version of Barney the Dinosaur, if that is what you are into.

austin

Post by austin »

What I really wanna know is what Quentin Tarantino thinks of Sarkeesian. Maybe he'll make fun of her in his next flick, a remake of Kill Bill perhaps.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

I only scanned a ways down that list, but Noel Plum?!? I'm sure that there are other ridiculous bans, but that one was enough for me to stop looking. I don't have one-tenth the redeeming qualities of Noel Plum on the web. I'm fucking toast.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

austin wrote:What I really wanna know is what Quentin Tarantino thinks of Sarkeesian. Maybe he'll make fun of her in his next flick, a remake of Kill Bill perhaps.
Don't we have to wait for someone in Hong Kong to make the movie first, so that Tarantino can copy it?

DeepInsideYourMind

Old_ones wrote:

Joss Whedon
Boing Boing
Polygon
DJGrothe
Daring Fireball

IMO it depends on whether her crap has any effect on video games. If the worst thing that happens is a lot of lip-service and a few videogames where the protagonist is flat chested woman in a burqa, I don't really see it as a huge deal.

If people actually get sacked over disagreeing with her, that would also suck.
Video games ... Meh... Like movies they will continue much the same to reflect reality

She is basically a wedge to get political correctness into a lot of other spheres ... the tech world is already badly infected, despite research showing women just don't dig CS degrees, so she has fertile ground there

The slippery slope is into a very distopian future

dogen

Post by dogen »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
austin wrote:What I really wanna know is what Quentin Tarantino thinks of Sarkeesian. Maybe he'll make fun of her in his next flick, a remake of Kill Bill perhaps.
Don't we have to wait for someone in Hong Kong to make the movie first, so that Tarantino can copy it?
Ouch!

https://warosu.org/data/sci/img/0066/75 ... 753532.jpg

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

another lurker wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:Ophelia copypastes an article about a squabble over reclining seats and Knee Defenders on a flight (truly a first world problem if there ever was one), and much hilarity ensues in the comments. Everyone, it seems, has a major disability that somehow requires that they travel by air, and that they either a. absolutely must sit bolt upright with room for their legs OR b. absolutely must recline the seat to accommodate their warped anatomy.

I'm 6ft tall, like you, and if I can't stretch my legs out, I suffer from really bad sciatic pain. But I guess that doesn't matter, eh? <3 aisle seats.
Anyone want to repost the flying to WiSC pic with Vacula and the FC(n)?

DeepInsideYourMind

Cabal wrote:

Joss Whedon
Boing Boing
Polygon
DJGrothe
Daring Fireball

Was Tim Schafer today or yesterday?

Schafer yesterday ...

Oddly ... cant find the tweet by DJ any more - I swear it was him ... it was pointing to the "Sarkesian has had to leave her home and go into protective hiding to protect her life from death threats" article ...

But now ... no sign ... I may have been mistaken, but hmmmmmmm

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
I only scanned a ways down that list, but Noel Plum?!? I'm sure that there are other ridiculous bans, but that one was enough for me to stop looking. I don't have one-tenth the redeeming qualities of Noel Plum on the web. I'm fucking toast.
Here are a couple other interesting ones:
Phil Giordana Likewise, another MRA. Also so self-absorbed that he ignored all my warnings…do not piss off the blog owner.
Reap Paden He complained about the commenters. An easy step to improve the quality was to smack him with the banhammer. Also, he’s a ranting asshole.
Here is one that I took from a slightly earlier archive (the pharyngula dungeon was shrinking toward its end in 2013, I'm not sure why PZ was erasing his bans but he definitely was).
oolon Poseur who pretends to be neutral, while defending the indefensible. Warned not to put on his act in a thread, he promptly ignored me. Now I’ll ignore him.
http://web.archive.org/web/201301161028 ... a/dungeon/

You might recognize Oolon as one of the people who gets flack around here for being part of the block bot project.

From an even earlier edition:
Steersman I have a new criterion for banning: if you feel the need to make dishonest arguments about how “cunt” only means “obnoxious person”, then goodbye. Why do so many people do that? The intent is clearly to insult someone by comparing them to the most odious of anatomical features, a vulva.
AndrewV69 Sexist and proud of it. Also, really, really stupid. Standard slimepit denizen with an extra slather of unambiguous misogyny.
http://web.archive.org/web/201211220411 ... a/dungeon/

DeepInsideYourMind

DeepInsideYourMind wrote:
Cabal wrote: Was Tim Schafer today or yesterday?

Schafer yesterday ...

Oddly ... cant find the tweet by DJ any more - I swear it was him ... it was pointing to the "Sarkesian has had to leave her home and go into protective hiding to protect her life from death threats" article ...

But now ... no sign ... I may have been mistaken, but hmmmmmmm

Ahhh found it - he retweeted :

austin

Post by austin »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
Did they ban Noel Plum for being long winded, and struggling to get to the point. By that standard Richard Carrier should have been banned a thousand times over.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

austin wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote:
Did they ban Noel Plum for being long winded, and struggling to get to the point. By that standard Richard Carrier should have been banned a thousand times over.
That's not exactly it.
Peezus wrote: Jesus
noelplum99 wrote:Plainly your gripe is that a well established movement is not about your pet socio-political concerns: so why not move on?
That’s not the issue. It’s that skepticism, critical thinking, all that are extensible to a great many fields; that the movement is hidebound and refuses to acknowledge this is a great loss.

But you know what? You’ve done enough damage by hijacking a thread that was about regretting the loss of a valuable contributor, and turning it into your petty whine about how you didn’t like her. It is therefore incredibly ironic that you are complaining that we want to shift a movement to consider our ‘pet concerns’ when you seem to have no compunction about taking a thread and turning it into one all about your pet concern: you, you, you.

And that’s enough.

Banned.

And there was much rejoicing.
http://web.archive.org/web/201306032052 ... -each-one/

He was disagreeing with stuff that Natalie Reed said in a thread about her leaving, and he was one of those "dictionary atheists" to boot.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

The ban-hammer ... because sometimes a roll of quarters in your pocket isn't enough.

austin

Post by austin »

Peezus wrote: Jesus
noelplum99 wrote:Plainly your gripe is that a well established movement is not about your pet socio-political concerns: so why not move on?
Wow, "pet socio-political concerns." Pure fucking projection. What else is freethoughtblogs about if not that?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

In other news: This article titled Bill Nye and the Ark Park Nyre gets called out because apparently when debated Ham he revived Ham's Noah’s Ark theme park.
Well, what’s done is done. But I do resent Nye’s overweening penchant for the spotlight, which led him into this debate. Further, Nye apparently is trying to become a spokesperson for science in general and evolution in particular. From what I’ve seen, he’s not doing a particularly good job of it. I never watched “The Science Guy,” and so I can’t pass judgement on that, but Nye, who clearly misses the public attention he got on that show, is trying to sustain it with a post-t.v. life as a science popularizer. I hope he does good things, but, based on his performance during and after the debate, I just don’t think he has what it takes to keep it going as a science educator. He needs to let Nye take a back seat to the science itself.

Also, not news to more than a few here but some may want to read this. Dated 2013 the title claims that Mother Teresa Was No Saint Says Study
The study, which was released earlier this year, was published in the journal Religieuses. The researchers formed their conclusions after studying hundreds of official documents, some of which were written by medical doctors who had visited Mother Teresa’s facilities and witnessed the alleged barbaric and “unsanitary” conditions firsthand.
Standard disclaimer ... Read the linked articles because you know by now I quotemine.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Søren Lilholt wrote:
Old ones wrote:[Sarkeesian] is a lying sack of shit, and because a misrepresentation of the game was more helpful to her narrative than a fair representation would have been.
That Sarkeesian is a systematic liar has been proven beyond any rational doubt. This really is a line in the sand as far as I'm concerned - there is simply no defending someone with this level of mendacity.

If feminism as an intellectual movement is to maintain any credibility whatsoever, it MUST reject this nonsense. No self-respecting field would ever take Sarkeesian's dismal work seriously. It is so peppered with lies as to be the Feminist equivalent of a creationist tract.

For example, is PZ "Myers" Meyers really going to align himself with the output of a woman who rejects the science of biology? HE'S A FUCKING PROFESSIONAL BIOLOGIST!! Or does feminism trump science now?

This is all shades of fucked up.
I'm curious who you are referring to in the line I bolded. Is this a trans activist, or RW (with her denialism of evolutionary psychology) or something else?

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Hm. I just tried to post a comment in PZ's thread about a recent anti-vax paper. When I clicked Submit, I was taken to the top of the page and my post did not appear. Does that mean that I'm banned?

In case anyone cares about that issue, here's what I wrote:
+1 to #39

Like every inferential analysis, there are appropriate uses of subsets and this can be done after-the-fact, as long as the appropriate test is used (which is the test for an interaction, as stated in #39) and the appropriate tests for violations of assumption are run (which, in this case, would involve verifying equality of variance by Levene's or Box's Test) and the appropriate corrections are applied for the multiple tests (which would be by Dunn-Sidak).

Tarring every use of a form of analysis because it has been done wrong in some previous cases and/or you don't like the results is wrong. Criticizing a paper for the acts of the author's father is ridiculous.

Note that I have said nothing about whether I agree with the analysis that was done or anything else in the paper. I'm responding to what I see as invalid criticisms and a misunderstanding of statistical analysis.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

AndrewV69 wrote:Also, not news to more than a few here but some may want to read this. Dated 2013 the title claims that Mother Teresa Was No Saint Says Study
The study, which was released earlier this year, was published in the journal Religieuses. The researchers formed their conclusions after studying hundreds of official documents, some of which were written by medical doctors who had visited Mother Teresa’s facilities and witnessed the alleged barbaric and “unsanitary” conditions firsthand.
And they couldn't admit that while Hitchens was still alive because...?

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:Also, not news to more than a few here but some may want to read this. Dated 2013 the title claims that Mother Teresa Was No Saint Says Study
And they couldn't admit that while Hitchens was still alive because...?

The man wrote a whole book about it.

As well as narrated a movie

Hitch had the balls to do that while the twisted Albanian dwarf was still kicking and shilling

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:Hm. I just tried to post a comment in PZ's thread about a recent anti-vax paper. When I clicked Submit, I was taken to the top of the page and my post did not appear. Does that mean that I'm banned?
Yeah, it probably does.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:Hm. I just tried to post a comment in PZ's thread about a recent anti-vax paper. When I clicked Submit, I was taken to the top of the page and my post did not appear. Does that mean that I'm banned?

+1 to #39

Like every inferential analysis, there are appropriate uses of subsets and this can be done after-the-fact, as long as the appropriate test is used (which is the test for an interaction, as stated in #39) and the appropriate tests for violations of assumption are run (which, in this case, would involve verifying equality of variance by Levene's or Box's Test) and the appropriate corrections are applied for the multiple tests (which would be by Dunn-Sidak).

Tarring every use of a form of analysis because it has been done wrong in some previous cases and/or you don't like the results is wrong. Criticizing a paper for the acts of the author's father is ridiculous.

Note that I have said nothing about whether I agree with the analysis that was done or anything else in the paper. I'm responding to what I see as invalid criticisms and a misunderstanding of statistical analysis.

Did you post it under the same nic.?

If so, well of course your banned! Some of the FTB folks spend more time here than they do there.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

*snip*
There's been weirdness on Meyers's blog recently, which I've pointed out previously. It seems that he is allowing comments from certain commenters through automatically (Cainaji, some others), but holding back everyone else's (including Nerd of Redhead, which amuses me gigantically).

Firstly, the discrepancy between what you see in his frontpage "Recent Comments" sidebar and the reality in any particular post indicates a laughably poor implementation by his "tech guy".

Secondly, I wonder if this has to do with the recent addition of a "These views don't necessarily match those of my employer" disclaimer, along with a new photo of Meyers looking all cleaned up and official.

I suspect that his number one employer has got sick of dealing with the fallout from Meyers's SJW campaigns.

Oddly, the University of Oxford seems less inclined to restrict the public pronouncements from Richard Dawkins, whose proud steed rides ahead of Meyers's wheezing pony as one of the 4,000,000 horsemen of atheism.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Lsuoma wrote:
another lurker wrote:

I'm 6ft tall, like you, and if I can't stretch my legs out, I suffer from really bad sciatic pain. But I guess that doesn't matter, eh? <3 aisle seats.
Anyone want to repost the flying to WiSC pic with Vacula and the FC(n)?
Nope. Enact the fucking labor yourself, you lazy tit.

Lazy. But oh so pert. So pert, and so bronzed. Dripping with seawater. A pert, bronzed tit, dripping with seawater.

And this is how the Clarence Bat Signal is lit. You're welcome.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:

*snip*
There's been weirdness on Meyers's blog recently, which I've pointed out previously. It seems that he is allowing comments from certain commenters through automatically (Cainaji, some others), but holding back everyone else's (including Nerd of Redhead, which amuses me gigantically).

Firstly, the discrepancy between what you see in his frontpage "Recent Comments" sidebar and the reality in any particular post indicates a laughably poor implementation by his "tech guy".

Secondly, I wonder if this has to do with the recent addition of a "These views don't necessarily match those of my employer" disclaimer, along with a new photo of Meyers looking all cleaned up and official.

I suspect that his number one employer has got sick of dealing with the fallout from Meyers's SJW campaigns.

Oddly, the University of Oxford seems less inclined to restrict the public pronouncements from Richard Dawkins, whose proud steed rides ahead of Meyers's wheezing pony as one of the 4,000,000 horsemen of atheism.
Please, Peez is sitting on one of those 25 cent horsie rides outside the local supermarket.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

If I am banned, then I'm semi-annoyed because I put some effort into following their rules and was honest in everything that I wrote. But I'll survive ... as long as someone sends me a free t-shirt to cry in.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:I suspect that his number one employer has got sick of dealing with the fallout from Meyers's SJW campaigns.
Is this the right time to make a snide comment about not being able to make full professor by his age at UMinn-fucking-Morris? I'm not above that.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Absolutely fucking insane.
Eh, I literally take the magazines & stuffers out of the seat pocket just so my knees are not pressed so hard against the back of the seat. I really need to keep an eye one which airline provides more legroom.

austin

Post by austin »

Old_ones wrote:
Yeah, it probably does.
You've been Stalinized. Your comment never actually existed because you never wrote it because you actually don't exist.

Once I watched a quote describing the severe robotic nature of Nerd accidentally get posted and get banned in real time moments later. Later commenters wondered what the comment was that other commenters were saying fuckwit about. It dissapeared. It was too offensive, to freakishly outside the SJW mindset to ever admit that it could possibly have existed.

austin

Post by austin »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:I suspect that his number one employer has got sick of dealing with the fallout from Meyers's SJW campaigns.
Is this the right time to make a snide comment about not being able to make full professor by his age at UMinn-fucking-Morris? I'm not above that.
Lake PZbegone, "where all the women are victims of the patriarchy, all the men are MRA misogynists, and all the children stay childish under the watchful eye of the horde."

Really?

Post by Really? »

Spike13 wrote:

*snip*

Please, Peez is sitting on one of those 25 cent horsie rides outside the local supermarket.
Done and done.

https://struckbyenlightning.files.wordp ... s-dino.jpg