Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
Satan

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by Satan »

Cliché Guevara wrote:As for my supposed hand-wringing, I'd settle for anyone advocating a version of "ends justify the means" managing to articulate a coherent notion of what the "ends" even are in this context.
I'd settle for feminism ("SJWs") becoming a target of atheist and skeptic communities.

Feminist claims are so far at odds with reality that skeptics should treat feminists exactly the way they treat cryptozoologists and other woo peddlers.

Similarly, feminism has become an extremist, albeit nontheistic, religion/cult and should be treated by atheists as a religiously-motivated threat to liberty on par with other extremist religious movements.

These people aren't skeptics or secularists. They don't belong inside the A/S tents in any way whatsoever.

Satan

Post by Satan »

TiBo wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:The Anti-Watson petition is up to 337. Not bad.
Indeed. I was surprised so many ppl are speaking out against a prominent victimhood feminist.
Even odds whether change.org will pull the petition.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

windy wrote: It was the commenters, not PZ, that reveled in the porcupine insults.
Peezus at one time had this in his commenting rules:
PZ Myers wrote:Don’t waste time whining at anyone that they’re not nice, because this gang will take pride in that and rhetorically hand you a rotting porcupine and tell you to stuff it up your nether orifice.
For a Peezus apologist you're not doing too well.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Ninja'd, but who cares.
windy wrote:
That's consistent with what I said. The Horde was handing out the rotting porcupines, Matt claims PZ was doing the urging personally.
This is the kind of dishonesty that always infuriates me when it comes from the baboons. By mentioning the rotting porcupine approvingly in his commenting rules, Peezus was clearly giving his stamp of approval.

Yes, a Peezus apologist is what you are. You're just not very good at it.

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

Sometimes the "innocence" of people can be downright hilarious: This back and forth has made my night, and likely the rest of the weekend as well. :lol: :lol:

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Fired from his job for offending feminists.

Here is the video which got him fired from his job.

I'll refrain from posting an opinion, since the Pit has been made painfully aware of my "side" in this little pitter civil war.

windy

Post by windy »

Jan Steen wrote:
windy wrote: It was the commenters, not PZ, that reveled in the porcupine insults.
Peezus at one time had this in his commenting rules:
PZ Myers wrote:Don’t waste time whining at anyone that they’re not nice, because this gang will take pride in that and rhetorically hand you a rotting porcupine and tell you to stuff it up your nether orifice.
For a Peezus apologist you're not doing too well.
Already addressed this above. Sorry for the misleading choice of words.

And give it a rest with the "Peezus apologist". My point is that such inaccurate criticisms make Matt's post much easier for outsiders to dismiss. Just like you dismissed me based on one inaccurate phrase. Thanks for the practical demonstration! ;)

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

As a first time poster I know it's presumptious, but I ask that people start using the term 'tentacle rape enthusiast Myers' instead of 'Myers'. I believe enough Google hits on the phrase will turn it into a Google bomb, but I would have to ask Santorum to be sure. And I would love to see the phrase come up when parents Google the names of the instructors of the classes their kids will be attending at Morris.

BTW, I am pretty middle of the road and I got run off that lunatic asylum Myers run in one night, on one thread, because I did not dot the 'i' politically correct enough for the collective hive mind. Fuck the hive mind. Long live individuals.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Long live the individuals indeed, MacGruberKnows. Now, the traditional "Fuck Off." Your basket of lynx may arrive shortly. Or not.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Dread Cthulhu damn it, where are the Lynx....
LynxKits.jpg
(3.52 KiB) Downloaded 159 times
Will have to do. The rest are in the wash...

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

They will do sir, thx.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

MacGruberKnows wrote:As a first time poster I know it's presumptious, but I ask that people start using the term 'tentacle rape enthusiast Myers' instead of 'Myers'. I believe enough Google hits on the phrase will turn it into a Google bomb, but I would have to ask Santorum to be sure. And I would love to see the phrase come up when parents Google the names of the instructors of the classes their kids will be attending at Morris.

BTW, I am pretty middle of the road and I got run off that lunatic asylum Myers run in one night, on one thread, because I did not dot the 'i' politically correct enough for the collective hive mind. Fuck the hive mind. Long live individuals.
I'm up for that. Make sure you add the 'PZ' though.
"tentacle rape enthusiast PZ Myers"
Also, welcome to our humble home.

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

Your basket of lynx:
http://i.imgur.com/Cho9d7K.jpg
and a general purpose "fuck off".

CaptainFluffyBunny

James Caruthers wrote:

I'll refrain from posting an opinion, since the Pit has been made painfully aware of my "side" in this little pitter civil war.
Call me optimistic, call me stupid..(I'm used to it) but I don't think there is a civil war. We have different ideas on how to deal with Skeptickle's doxxing. It's being worked out without an excess of stupid insults and nastiness. We go about our business, and harvest our lulz here on the pit. What we do outside of here is our own fucking business, yes?

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

James Caruthers wrote:

Shame he's not a resident of the U.K. as I'd love to see his case go in front of an employment tribunal.
If my boss said he was going to fire me for uploading a YouTube video of facts and statistics I'd already be spending the compensation in my head.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

With much thx, I will now fuck of with my basket full of lynx. Thx again.

CaptainFluffyBunny

I see Doc Strawkins is online. Will he share his wisdom?

Dan

Post by Dan »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
JacquesCuze wrote:Oops! My Bad!
But honestly ... it's a little sickening ...

http://i.imgur.com/SG8xxyv.jpg
https://archive.today/lmYfD
Okay, between the doxxing and this, I'm done.

Mykeru, or anyone else with a plan of action, let us know how best we can help with some net/IRL activities, and I am in. I don't know the most effective courses of action, so I am making this request out of ignorance, not a desire to blindly follow Myk Jung Un.
Peezus seems to have been a lifetime lazy cunt. It might be worth checking if he plagiarized he way through his doctoral thesis. I'm not sure how to get your hands on it but that's where I'd start

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

BaconNutellaFiend

Post by BaconNutellaFiend »

James Caruthers wrote:

That's the second person they've gotten fired - the first being the guy that started #NotYourShield (@j_millerworks). Interesting how so far only black men have been targeted like this by the Hugbox Brigade. One might think the anti-GG contingent has a race problem. :think:

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

BaconNutellaFiend wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:

That's the second person they've gotten fired - the first being the guy that started #NotYourShield (@j_millerworks). Interesting how so far only black men have been targeted like this by the Hugbox Brigade. One might think the anti-GG contingent has a race problem. :think:
One of the anti-GG contingent got fired for being part of the "GameJournosPro" group. He was, unsurprisingly, white. Was fired by PC Gamer iirc.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Satan wrote: They don't belong inside the A/S tents in any way whatsoever.
I keep hearing about tents. What fucking tents? Are we not good enough for houses?

[youtube]k3Zad39QXL4[/youtube]

But really fuck tents. They are shitty and hard to put up.

Oh and Benson. Horrible cunt.

Going back to bed.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Gosh, I knew the Pit wouldn't get the nuance of what I was saying, but et tu FtB?

http://i.imgur.com/Et0xayG.jpg

I wonder if the criticism will be seconded?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

http://i.imgur.com/kP3xLwE.jpg

:lol: :lol:

I thought they loved me back then. Oh wait. That's why I got banned.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Brive1987 wrote:Gosh, I knew the Pit wouldn't get the nuance of what I was saying, but et tu FtB?

http://i.imgur.com/Et0xayG.jpg

I wonder if the criticism will be seconded?

Can't quite figure out the logistics of a forum who generally don't know who or where each other is somehow organizing a kidnapping. Just illustrates something, ironically, that I believe Skep tickle emphasized a while ago, that if you don't read the 'Pit with implied <facetious> tags around each post, or at least the majority of them, you're bound to get very confused. This seems to be a general problem FtB has reading here. They're almost pathologically literal minded (provided it serves them, of course).

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Given you are watching FtB - metaphor how does that work. Oh and stop your doxx campaigns.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

FTB should really be quiet right now. They are in no position to make any moral judgment.

Cunt of Personality

Post by Cunt of Personality »

For the record, I really don't care what anyone does or doesn't do in relation to tentacle rape enthusiast PZ Myers or his entourage.

I'm perfectly satisfied that what I've done so far didn't require any lost sleep over whether it would be "OK if they did it", because as far as I'm concerned, it would. I've no interest in suggesting anyone do the same or even dropping hints as to what it was except to say that it had nothing to do with Skep's doxxing or contacting anyone's employer. I did something that I thought was warranted in my singular capacity as me, myself and I. If anyone else happens to think along the same lines as I did, they may well decide to do the same thing, but it won't be because I summoned a mob.

One thing that I would suggest for anyone who knows how, or knows someone who knows how, is that several people's biographical Wikipedia pages are surely in serious need of an update.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:I see Doc Strawkins is online. Will he share his wisdom?
I'm not sure about wisdom but I can make a recommendation to take it easy with the threats of retaliation. That is exactly the sort of thing they are looking for to deflect attention from their pathetic behavior.
Myers targeted Skep tickle to deflect from the Nugent situation, that much is obvious.
I am not saying that Myers and Benson should be allowed to get away without consequences. I am saying that people here should bide their time and think a little more clearly before rushing in and making things worse (hold Ogvorbis hostage? WTF!)
We know they are monitoring every word here and will quote mine it in an instant if they can, all the while telling you to die in a fire or get raped with a porcupine - which, as we all know, are simply rhetorical metaphors - when they do it.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Cunt of Personality: tu va finir avec un papillon tagué devant chez toi. Ce serait une première dans le Tarn.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Dick Strawkins wrote:(hold Ogvorbis hostage? WTF!)
Really, you took this seriously? I took it as "we know who child rapist Ogvorbis is IRL. Fuck with one of our own by doxxing them or contacting their job, and we WILL out him".

At this point, and with the shit we've seen lately, I see no problem with that.

Cunt of Personality

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Cunt of Personality: tu va finir avec un papillon tagué devant chez toi. Ce serait une première dans le Tarn.
Dans l'Hérault :cdc:

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Cunt of Personality wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Cunt of Personality: tu va finir avec un papillon tagué devant chez toi. Ce serait une première dans le Tarn.
Dans l'Hérault :cdc:
Oh, ok, sorry. I knew it was some shithole somewhere south. After all, south of France is where all the scumbags are.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Er... that was a joke. Sorry if it broke the Pit.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:(hold Ogvorbis hostage? WTF!)
Really, you took this seriously? I took it as "we know who child rapist Ogvorbis is IRL. Fuck with one of our own by doxxing them or contacting their job, and we WILL out him".

At this point, and with the shit we've seen lately, I see no problem with that.
It was even more measured than that, it was one of a number of proposals simply opened for group discussion.

FtB (and Dick) suddenly want civil?

Well let me point out:
+ only one side has outed someone who prefers to use a nymn,
+"one side has linked to professional information
+ and one side has sounded the trumpet to call forth legions to lodge employer complaints.

Over banter and a joke.

For all our anger, the pit has not doxxed anyone in this affair - even where the capacity existed.

Chew on that bone, Jackbooted Whoever You are, Zvan and associated FCns.

And then look up to the heights and contemplate the moral high ground you so sorely lack.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

And thanks Phil.

windy

Post by windy »

Brive1987 wrote: For all our anger, the pit has not doxxed anyone in this affair - even where the capacity existed.

And then look up to the heights and contemplate the moral high ground you so sorely lack.
And apparently some feel that this would be a great time to piss that away by threatening to doxx people in retaliation. :roll:

Cunt of Personality

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote: After all, south of France is where all the scumbags are.
Pope Innocent III would've tended to agree with you and he was fucking infallible.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

windy wrote:
Brive1987 wrote: For all our anger, the pit has not doxxed anyone in this affair - even where the capacity existed.

And apparently some feel that this would be a great time to piss that away by threatening to doxx people in retaliation. :roll:
Man, we've done this already. I get it. You have an opinion on my opinion.

It's just a pity you're wrong.

:mrgreen:

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

windy wrote:

Well, why not? What if I doxx one of them on, say, my FB page? To be frank, I will not doxx anyone. Internet privacy and anonymity are things I hold dear. But if someone else wants to do it at their own venue (hey Damion), I will not shed a tear. As they say, "you shat in your bed, now sleep in it" (who the fuck ever said that?).

Again, there is no moral high ground to be conquered anymore. The Pit can't be more defiled than it already has been, we're all harassers, misogynists and rapists in the mind of these fuckers.

I'm expecting my butterfly graffiti any day now...

Apples

Post by Apples »

Was just reading this New Yorker article about a kid stuck in Rikers and noticed this small gif in the corner of the screen. Nice.

http://www.newyorker.com/wp-content/upl ... 200pxw.gif

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Dick, would you change your mind if someone else copped it? How about a doxx a day? What if it was you?

When does this become an actionable affront?

Remembering my whole point here is the question "what exactly will it take to stop this behaviour?" - assuming of course we are not all like Windy and happy (on principle) to roll with the punches.

I cannot recall such an egregious cold blooded doxxing call to arms from FtB before. Ever.

:think:

Michael J

Post by Michael J »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:I see Doc Strawkins is online. Will he share his wisdom?
I'm not sure about wisdom but I can make a recommendation to take it easy with the threats of retaliation. That is exactly the sort of thing they are looking for to deflect attention from their pathetic behavior.
Myers targeted Skep tickle to deflect from the Nugent situation, that much is obvious.
I am not saying that Myers and Benson should be allowed to get away without consequences. I am saying that people here should bide their time and think a little more clearly before rushing in and making things worse (hold Ogvorbis hostage? WTF!)
We know they are monitoring every word here and will quote mine it in an instant if they can, all the while telling you to die in a fire or get raped with a porcupine - which, as we all know, are simply rhetorical metaphors - when they do it.
I agree. Personally I think that calling employers etc just feeds their martyr complex. The biggest positive we have is that more atheists of note are speaking out against FTB/Skepchick and any conference they organise is empty, The negative is (and this goes for gamergate too) these people have the ear of the larger outlets such as Slate or Salon which publishes anything they say without question and they still get invited to conferences.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
JacquesCuze wrote:Oops! My Bad!
But honestly ... it's a little sickening ...

http://i.imgur.com/SG8xxyv.jpg
https://archive.today/lmYfD
Okay, between the doxxing and this, I'm done.

Mykeru, or anyone else with a plan of action, let us know how best we can help with some net/IRL activities, and I am in. I don't know the most effective courses of action, so I am making this request out of ignorance, not a desire to blindly follow Myk Jung Un.
Wait. I've got to think. Exactly how does one wrap their brain around that level of bitter scumbaggery? I'm not even joking. Benson is an appalling fucker, but her talent for the uncharitable interpretation really exceeded whatever former metric for being a bitter shit-posting old pill she had previously established.

You know what? She "wins" this one. She's like the guy picking a bar fight that no one will take on. Not because of their superior skill or ability to intimidate, but because he's covered in shit and open sores.

No. Seriously. The fuck?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Some SJW woo (courtesy of a link tweeted by Miri):
There’s nothing intrinsically male about XY chromosomes, testosterone, body hair, muscle mass or penises. If an alien civilization found earth, they wouldn’t look at a person with a penis and say “Oh, that must be a male, sex based on genitalia is the One Universal Constant.” Sex, like gender, is indeed socially constructed and can be changed.
Yep, a penis, XY chromosomes, testosterone, body hair, breasts, they're all social constructs. Cocks go away if people stop believing in them. Tits disappear enough people don't like them.

Fortunately, other SJW seem to live in reality:
Do you know how biological sex is determined to exist as a concept, in species other than our own? Biologists take a huge swath of the population, indiscriminate of any factors other than their belonging to that species, and survey for three things: physical characteristics, chromosomes, and genes on those chromosomes.

If the statistics of that analysis bring about two populations, the species is said to be “sexually dimorphic.” This is the case with humans. If you look at the extant 7 billion humans, 99.8% of them would have XX or XY chromosomal identities at birth, and also at birth, those XX and XY chromosomal identities would correlate with physical characteristics like genital appearance, gene expression, and so on.

And then modern medicine uses those two groups, “Male” and “Female” to identify how humans of each class will more likely respond to certain medications, whether they can get pregnant, whether they should develop this way or that way physically over time. If they don’t develop as a typical member of their class does (physically) they might have a disease based on aberrant gene expression, that could lead to tumor growth, early death, mental illness, etc.

But what about the other 0.2%? They have XXY, or monosomy X, or XYY, or XXX, or possible gene expression disorders, or other conditions that cause their biological sex to be more difficult to determine.

Doctors will offer the parents of these children cosmetic surgery, hormone therapy, and other techniques to modify their physiology such that their bodies will resemble one or the other sex. This is offered because androgyny can come with health problems, including gonadal tumors and other issues. Refusing this care is fine, and its the parents choice, since the baby is not yet old enough to consent. It’s merely an attempt to create a better and more hospitable life for the child, due to our current societal shortcomings.

But the existence of this 0.2% doesn’t negate the fact that statistically significant dimorphic sexes exist in humans.

I don’t think YOU understand biology very well.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Sex, like gender, is indeed socially constructed and can be changed.
Ok. Then fuck feminism, it is meaningless.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Brive1987 wrote:Anyone seeing a pattern forming? From PZ North Star post.

http://i.imgur.com/Vg0DZWv.jpg
What on earth are they talking about?

I would pop on and look but

1. No clicks for assholes

2. I'm a lazy fucker

and most importantly

3. I just took a shower.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

MacGruberKnows wrote:As a first time poster
Here's the orientation film:

[youtube]QO2QL_x1wI0[/youtube]

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:Based on my experience, the best that you can hope for from lobbying UMinn Morris is that PZ will be asked to remove the mentions of the university from his twitter feed and blog and maybe prevented from using university equipment to post. I suppose that it's vaguely possible that they'll make it harder for him to attend conferences (e.g., by not allowing him to miss scheduled classes for such), but that's a long shot. But these aren't nothing, so I won't argue against this.

In terms of what would be best for the US A/S community - and at the risk of using a very bad word - I see widespread "shunning" as the goal. There are two ways to achieve this: widespread grassroots support for it and focused "elite" support for it. Exposing PZ's actions to as wide an audience as possible - thanks, NoelPlum! - is good. Trying to calmly reach out to folks like NdGT, Dawkins, Harris, Nye, etc, is also good. If some folks are doing one of these and some are doing the other, that's great, too.

If your goal is loss-of-tenure and/or the Horde turning on him or something like that, then please send me some of what you're smoking. (Yes, I just revealed that I don't live in two particular states; 47 to go, assholes.)

ps. I want to be Karen Straughan when I grow up
He had to remove his UMM employer references from Pharyngula. That was in the days of him being hosted by SEED (before it changed its name to SciBlogs). That's been the sole action UMM has taken over all these years on all the horseshit he's pulled.

This morning he's bagging on The Morris North Star again. The Morris North Star is a crappy little student paper that he encouraged people to take and throw away in order squelch free-speech and dissenting views on the UMM campus because it espouses 'conservative' (which he labels as racist) views.

The Freezepage is here (if I did it right): http://www.freezepage.com/1412940516ANZPGFNOCV

NOTHING HAPPENED.

So, all the "We gotta do something so let's harass him back through work" people really need to consider the evidence that their course of action ain't gonna do shit and he's gonna be right back where he was doing the same shit as ever AND GIVING HIM FUCKING VICTIM POINTS. I mean, beyond shooting him and making him a martyr, I don't think there is a (possibly) worse or least effective course of action as you play into his "I"m warrior, look at them try to get me for speaking truth to power" bullshit he does.

OTOH, if you just keep the pressure up in making him a pariah, maybe he goes the way of Joe McCarthy, Rush Limbaugh, Father Coughlin, etc., etc., etc. He'll never be gone. But he'll be marginalized and contained, kind of like a chronic, but non-fatal, disease.

Cliché Guevara

Post by Cliché Guevara »

For some reason, I keep having Lebowski flashbacks:
The Dude: Walter, what is the point? Look, we all know who is at fault here, what the fuck are you talking about?
Walter Sobchak: Huh? No, what the fuck are you... I'm not... We're talking about unchecked aggression here, dude.
Donny: What the fuck is he talking about?
The Dude: My rug.
Walter Sobchak: Forget it, Donny, you're out of your element!
The Dude: Walter, the chinaman who peed on my rug, I can't go give him a bill, so what the fuck are you talking about?
Walter Sobchak: What the fuck are you talking about? The chinaman is not the issue here, Dude. I'm talking about drawing a line in the sand, Dude. Across this line, you DO NOT... Also, Dude, chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature. Asian-American, please.

The Dude: They're gonna kill that poor woman!
Walter Sobchak: Nothing is fucked here, Dude. Come on, you're being very un-Dude. Really, Dude, you surprise me. They're not gonna kill shit, they're not gonna do shit. What can they do? They're a bunch of fuckin' amateurs...

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

Seems to me that Strawkins and Windy have the right of it, I also perceive the damage Michael Nugent has done to the FtB* crew over the last few weeks through being honest and analytical of their excesses is probably of significant consternation to them, because only the most zealous can deny that it is credible and fair.

And I do think calls to sink to their level will do no more than hand them extra ammunition.

I thought it was really ballsy and impressive of Mykeru to phone UMM. But again I think the reason his decision to do so might be useful is because he didn't delve into any hyperbole. So despite it being a bit an upfront reaction I'd support it because whether or not it has any effect it wasn't propagating bullshit with the weak excuse of "they do it too".

I think that the only reason they've been able to get away with their tactics thusfar is that they enjoyed a perception as sticking up for the oppressed, and I think they've blown that now with the wider a/s community - the only way they might get it back is they could claim to be subject to oppression in return. Doxxing them would certainly provide them that ammunition.

I'd suggest sticking with what works, which seems to be the promotion of measured critique of their actions - not creative twisting of PZs linking to tentacle sex as evidence of perversion. That stuff might keep people here amused - but it doesn't work as an attack.

I'd be willing to support any such considered critique. About a year ago I did consider making some YT vids about Myers/Laden/Zvan/Watson et al mangling psychology, but I got distracted from it. I'd be willing to have another go at that if people here would help promote the vids (which won't be monetised or anything).

* Not all of FtB, and other people asides.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

CuntajusRationality wrote:
Cliché Guevara wrote:As for my supposed hand-wringing, I'd settle for anyone advocating a version of "ends justify the means" managing to articulate a coherent notion of what the "ends" even are in this context.
How about just sending a clear message that there will in fact be a concerted effort to effect some kind of fucking consequences for despicable behavior that crosses well-established boundaries? How about just sending a clear message that future transgressions may be met with proportional or even escalating responses, the purpose of which is to provide a compelling reason for him to think twice before doing this kind of thing again.

I'm not interested in silencing him in any way. He can keep his shitty blog and continue to refer to himself as the fifth horseman for all I care. I just can't stand to see petty online bullshit be turned into real-life harassment and I think little Paul needs to be incentivized to not step over that line in the future.
All the talk of 'incentivizing' is nothing more than a load of mid-manager sales bafflegarble. Beyond pointing out he's an asshole for doing it and whipping up people to shun him, there is NOTHING you can do from a legal or employment or boycott standpoint.

This is a community problem and making him a pariah, to the greater community, is the only play that will reap dividends. Everything else simply makes his opponents look weak, childish, vindictive, over-wrought and gives him victim points as his opponents are 'no better' and might be considered 'even worse' than him.

One of the many lessons people should have taken from Crackergate. Bill Donohue was so over the top in Cracker Gate that he made Myers look good in response. Despite that it was a total dick move by Myers. One I, along with many others, didn't see the point in making.

But once Donohue tried to make it a national issue, people closed around Myers and gave him support. Including myself because his dick move was at least as bad, if not worse.

So think about the people, like Bill Donohue, you're emulating. Think about how they only ended up making it worse by all the screaming and yelling instead of better. Think about how the attacks via UMM actually swung people to Myer's side even though, at first, they thought it was a dick move.

It's a social problem. You have to fight him socially. You have to fight him in a way that doesn't rally support. You have to keep the pressure up. And you must remember THIS IS A LONG-GAME FIGHT. If you can't fight long game, don't fight at all because you can't win the short game.

OR you can continue on with this middle school revenge fantasy. Your choice.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Cliché Guevara wrote:For some reason, I keep having Lebowski flashbacks:
The Dude: Walter, what is the point? Look, we all know who is at fault here, what the fuck are you talking about?
Walter Sobchak: Huh? No, what the fuck are you... I'm not... We're talking about unchecked aggression here, dude.
Donny: What the fuck is he talking about?
The Dude: My rug.
Walter Sobchak: Forget it, Donny, you're out of your element!
The Dude: Walter, the chinaman who peed on my rug, I can't go give him a bill, so what the fuck are you talking about?
Walter Sobchak: What the fuck are you talking about? The chinaman is not the issue here, Dude. I'm talking about drawing a line in the sand, Dude. Across this line, you DO NOT... Also, Dude, chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature. Asian-American, please.

The Dude: They're gonna kill that poor woman!
Walter Sobchak: Nothing is fucked here, Dude. Come on, you're being very un-Dude. Really, Dude, you surprise me. They're not gonna kill shit, they're not gonna do shit. What can they do? They're a bunch of fuckin' amateurs...
I never saw anything of interest in that movie. Come to think of it, I never saw anything of interest in any Coen Brothers movie. Not funny, not insightful, full of grandstanding. Oh, ok, that might be it.

sinister

Post by sinister »

You guys are aware crackers aren't people right? You have freaking lost all sense of what has happened when you think blasphemy and hurting people are equivilant. My guess, you guys do know this, but hey, as long as you feel good about doing nothing, any rationale is a good one.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Dave2 wrote:
I'd suggest sticking with what works, which seems to be the promotion of measured critique of their actions - not creative twisting of PZs linking to tentacle sex as evidence of perversion. That stuff might keep people here amused - but it doesn't work as an attack.
No, I think you are wrong on that one. Just put it in parallel to his over-grandiose feminists stances, then see if it works. Hint: it will work.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

"Teach FtB not to Doxx."

Catchy slogan.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Brive1987 wrote:"Teach FtB not to Doxx."

Catchy slogan.
Worked with rape, yes?

piero

Post by piero »

bovarchist wrote:The reason moral high-ground matters is because in an argument over ideas, the battle does not take place between the arguers; it takes place in the minds of the observers. Myers has never understood this. He's always been his own worst enemy because he thinks nothing of expressing himself in the most childish, assholey way possible, so -- what a surprise -- people have started to think he's an asshole. That's why it's important to be better: because that's what people will see, and that will make a difference in who they side with.

Not that I'm against childish insults and photoshops either. After all, another difference between the Pharyngulards and us is that they completely lack any sense of humor at all. What's up with that, anyway? They literally seem to think that humor is just a way for racists to say awful things and get away with it.
(My emphasis) This is the essential point, I think. Slymepitters and FTBers initially had this in common: a desire for a truly secular society. That fight is still on, and is more important than scoring points against scumbags. Even if complaints against Myers had any effect, that would not help Skep Tickle, and slymepitters would be perceived by outside observers as the moral equivalent of the assorted Myers, Bensons and Watsons.

If all the energy is diverted to internal strife, the A/S movement risks becoming irrelevant to society at large. Tit for tat is immediately gratifying but, like children, we should learn to forgo immediate pleasure for the sake of a greater satisfaction in the long run. Our essential aims should always be associated with a rational, ethical and coherent conduct.

sinister

Post by sinister »

Don't know if they are going to learn anything. Today, I am making my case to any media outlet I think will tell this story. Right-wing, left-wing, christian, libertarian, maybe even small town news papers. You want people to know about PZ, now some people will. Oh, and your cries for no employee contacts are met! I bet this is bad somehow, I can't wait to hear why.

Also, thanks everyone for the freezepages, etc.