Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
deLurch

Re: STFU about Zimmerman. Nobody else gives a crap.

Post by deLurch »

jimthepleb wrote:Feministing weighs in on the UVA rape allegations.

http://feministing.com/2014/12/08/on-ro ... ournalism/
TL:DR It's all Rolling Stones fault. Poor Jackie.
"Jackie" told her rah-rah pump-them-up story at a take back the night rally. And low and behold, someone listened. But instead of backing off, and reeling back into a more realistic version of her original story, she kept at it, afraid of being exposed as a liar.

The only way I feel sorry for "Jackie," is if something violently non-consensual did occur to her, because that would not be her fault. But exaggerating a story? That is all on her.

Random Lurker

Post by Random Lurker »

Shatterface as Guest wrote:
We also need to change the culture of discourse around sexual assault on campuses. To stand up for the rights of the accused is not to attack victims or women. Our colleges, like the rest of our society, must be places where you are innocent until proven guilty. The day after graduation, young men and women will be thrown into a world where there is no Gender-Based Misconduct Office. They will have to live by the rules of society at large. Higher education should ready our students for this reality, not shield them from it.
I really wish they'd be 'thrown into a world where there is no Gender Based Misconduct Office' but I suspect, like the 'no platform' movement, what starts in universities gets dragged into the real world eventually.

Shatterface

Being from the USofA I didn't know what the 'no platform' movement was, so I just looked it up. Now I'm even more depressed. I'll have to play a misogyny inculcation machine video game when I get home to cheer up.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:

One day Steve Novella is going to get another hobby, SGU will cease and the gravy train will lurch to a stop. But I guess till then, chin chin.
I don't know about that. Do Novella's sons have jobs? I was always under the impression that SGU is how Steve keeps his kids from moving back in with him.
Don't know about sons, but your model may work for his school age daughter - future suitors face the prospect of becoming "guest rogues". That'd do it.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

katamari Damassi wrote:RE: Sarkeesian. It wouldn't surprise me if some game manufacturers used Gamergate as a marketing tool. They can advertise a game as being so raucous and outrageous that certain people(not naming names) wouldn't approve.
I think one was unemployed for a while and Bob and Jay lived together for a while but they have / had careers in software and systems.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

deLurch wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:I have the copypasta mummy to thank for this episode of the dipshit saying dipshit stuff. So, thanks Ophelia. You sick fuck.

https://archive.today/TbhRA

http://imgur.com/cJCjqrA.jpg
Speaking of assmilk, so I evidently caught the flu or cold or something like that. Low grade fervor, sneezing, stuffed nose, a little phlegm, mild headache, some diarrhea. Not too unusual. Kind of killed my weekend as I opted to stay in to try and rest and kick this cold sooner, instead of partying hard and possibly dragging this out. And with diarrhea, I decided to try and push my fluids down myself to prevent dehydration. But man, I can't recall bouts of diarrhea lasting this long or this frequent. Hell, might as well look it up.

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorder ... s-diarrhea
Doctors classify diarrhea as "osmotic," "secretory," or "exudative."
Osmotic diarrhea means that something in the bowel is drawing water from the body. A common example is sorbitol, a sugar substitute found in sugarless candy and gum that isn't absorbed by the body but draws water into the bowel, resulting in diarrhea.
Secretory diarrhea occurs when the body is releasing water into the bowel. Many infections, drugs, and other conditions cause secretory diarrhea.
Exudative diarrhea refers to the presence of blood and pus in the stool. This occurs with inflammatory bowel diseases such as Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis, and several infections.
Yeah, so the first one on the list, Osmotic diarrhea. I had been downing about a 2-litter of diet soda for liquids. Yes, I knew it wasn't the perfect hydration mix (sugar, salt, water or just about anything similar to a sugar based sports drink), but I figured I was eating sufficient foods to get in the other mix of salts etc.

I am not saying for sure that it was the diet soda, but until I kick this I think I'll be switching over to sugar based drinks.

I'll save a cup for pz, since that misogynist shitlord evidently refuses woman's assmilk for the assmilk of his preferred gender.
Do diet sodas contain sorbitol? I don't know, but that would do it. Decades ago in the US, there was a heavily advertised hard candy sweetened with only sorbitol. They tasted great, but would turn your body into a toilet expressway. I don't know if it's still done, but cocaine used to be cut with mannitol, which compounded the drug's already peristaltic action. It's a pity, because sugar alcohols taste way better than aspartame.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

You'd assume this was hyperbole unless they knew the man.

What a weird sad person he is.

http://i.imgur.com/OLzSn15.jpg

Michael J

Post by Michael J »

katamari Damassi wrote:
NoGodsEver wrote:
If you are referring to Jay and Bob, those are his brothers, not his sons.
Really? The dynamic on SGU is such that I thought they were his kids. My question stands though. Do hey have jobs? Otherwise, I don't see Steve abandoning the show.
At least one of them sounds like he has a decent job in IT. I get the sense that they are tiring of her and I think that they are more likely to try and ease RW out of the show but the sarcastic female sidekick makes a good dynamic and hard to replace.

Michael J

Post by Michael J »

katamari Damassi wrote:
NoGodsEver wrote:
If you are referring to Jay and Bob, those are his brothers, not his sons.
Really? The dynamic on SGU is such that I thought they were his kids. My question stands though. Do hey have jobs? Otherwise, I don't see Steve abandoning the show.
At least one of them sounds like he has a decent job in IT. I get the sense that they are tiring of her and I think that they are more likely to try and ease RW out of the show but the sarcastic female sidekick makes a good dynamic and hard to replace.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Wonder if they got permission to the the masthead so prominently, or whether they're using it under Surlyright?

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

katamari Damassi wrote:RE: Sarkeesian. It wouldn't surprise me if some game manufacturers used Gamergate as a marketing tool. They can advertise a game as being so raucous and outrageous that certain people(not naming names) wouldn't approve.
If movies (in the UK, I believe) can boast about passing the Bechdel Test, how long will it be before games come with Snarky's Seal of Approval. I actually look forward to such, so that I can calculate the point-biserial correlation between sales and having this seal. My prediction: negative about .35

windy

Post by windy »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:Wow. PZ really is a disingenuous little shitbird.

At his talk at Skepticon 7, he does some math (around the 16-minute point), to show that the expected number of TTAGGG motifs on Chr2 by chance should be about 58,000. Then he says that we've found about 45,000 of these motifs, so there's nothing to see here; it's all just chance and creationists don't know probability.

Pretty good show if that's all you watch or your memory only extends back about 2 minutes. But scroll the video back to 13:20 and you'll see - according to PZ, at least - that the TTAGGG motif was actually found more than 500,000 times, i.e., about 10 times the rate predicted by chance.
That's not what it says. They found 45,450 and 45,770 of each of the 6-base telomeric motifs, meaning the motifs covered 547,320 bases.

(and they only looked at the plus strand, so he's wrong about why the numbers for TTAGGG and CCCTAA are about equal.)

PZ's rebuttal about the number of repeats would be right, except that the creationists do address the entire repeat sequence, in the very next paragraph following his quote:
An important attribute associated with these internal telomere motifs is that they are largely monomeric. Of the 52 intact TTAGGG motifs on both sides of the fusion site, only three tandem occurrences were found, with the rest existing as independent monomers. Of the 154 intact CCCTAA motifs on both sides of the fusion site, eighteen tandem motifs were found, with the rest appearing as independent monomers. Although the density of motifs and dimeric repeats increases somewhat within the immediate vicinity of the putative fusion region, their positions in the reading frame from one 6-bp telomeric repeat to the next are erratic (not in frame).
Way to go PZ, you just quote-mined some creationists :doh:

They're still full of shit, but showing why would take more work than PZ was willing to do. It's not enough to say that it's highly improbable to get 158 consequential repeats of the telomeric sequence by chance, when the creationists are challenging the fact that the sequence consists of consequential repeats.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

According to the Feministing article "Jackie" asked the Rolling Stone reporter not to run the story but was overruled.
I wonder if they have either denied or confirmed this? If Rolling Stone denies this will the pro Jackie crowd call them liars or chalk it up to another "understandable" inconsistency in Jackie's story due to her PTSD and the fact that no one has perfect memory?

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
If movies (in the UK, I believe) can boast about passing the Bechdel Test,
Sweden

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Ape+lust wrote: PZ's spun out the same no-big-deal scenario for Shermer. Which of course, makes Peez look all the more sleazy for running like a scalded cat when he was accused. Also, most accused won't be guys with the connections and resources to ride out public opprobrium like Shermer and Cosby, guilty or not.

http://imgur.com/TVCpuhE.png
cf. Peez' "own private candy bowl" comment. Peez' true motivation? That Shermer can score and Peez can't.

Shatterface as Guest

Post by Shatterface as Guest »

Random Lurker wrote: Being from the USofA I didn't know what the 'no platform' movement was, so I just looked it up. Now I'm even more depressed. I'll have to play a misogyny inculcation machine video game when I get home to cheer up.
I wish student politics were just something you indulged in at university and then put safely behind you, like dying your hair a funny colour, or maths.

Shatterface

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Ape+lust wrote:Do diet sodas contain sorbitol? I don't know, but that would do it. Decades ago in the US, there was a heavily advertised hard candy sweetened with only sorbitol. They tasted great, but would turn your body into a toilet expressway. I don't know if it's still done, but cocaine used to be cut with mannitol, which compounded the drug's already peristaltic action. It's a pity, because sugar alcohols taste way better than aspartame.
Checked the label. Aspartame. You are right. Probably not it. In any case, I'm going to switch to beverages that have a better rehydration mix (sugar, salts) and drop the caffeine. The liquids are going straight through me.

If it's bacterial, perhaps a cup or two of yogurt wouldn't hurt.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

windy wrote:That's not what it says. They found 45,450 and 45,770 of each of the 6-base telomeric motifs, meaning the motifs covered 547,320 bases.
Agreed, which is why you must listen to what PZ said when discussing the 500,000+ number; he calls it the number of times that they found the motif, anywhere, across the whole of Chr2. If that had been a correct description of the number, then his chance analysis would have blown his own argument up.

Maybe he was just tongue-tied or confused or tier or jest sporting a boner because the prom was next, but after what that lazy-ass Twatson did to Evo Psych a few years ago, these jerks don't get the benefit of doubt. And, to keep with Michael Nugent's main point: would PZ have given any benefit of doubt to his creationist victims?

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

U2 released a music video today, featuring my friend-- Chinese street artist DALeast-- now a resident of South Africa, painting my van in NYC, this summer. The song is a tribute to Joe Strummer:

[youtube]eA3s3gtRoVM[/youtube]

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

bhoytony wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote:
If movies (in the UK, I believe) can boast about passing the Bechdel Test,
Sweden
Thanks.

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

dog puke wrote:
feathers wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:
Cannot unsee.
Udderly bizarre.
I imagine you'll just keep milking this for all it's worth.
COW.

amidoinitrite?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

comhcinc wrote:
Old_ones wrote: Fox news used to parade Sarah Palin around all the time and have her weigh in on a variety of policy questions, and this is a woman who once argued that she had foreign policy experience because she can see Russia from her house.
No. The only reason Palin isn't on Fox News anymore is she took the Glen Beck route and created her own channel where people have to pay to hear her opinions. She is not a stupid person. Ignorant of public policy and unfit to be in elective office? Yes. Stupid? No.
True. And the "I can see Russia from my house" quote is from Tina Fey's parody of Palin. Palin isn't that dumb: she said that you can see Russia from some parts of Alaska, which is true (although it doesn't mean much about her foreign policy experience).
Same thing with Sarkeesian. She might be completely off and wrong about video games; but she knows how to play to a crowd.
I've always said that Sarkeesian is much more clever and successful than many other SJWs. I date to say that she's actually smarter than PZ Myers, or at least more socially aware, since she's less likely to alienate people who support her.
Now I am going to say something that many people might have a problem with. Video games are art. Art can inspire people. Everyone agrees with that when we are talking about the positive effect. It seems to me that if art can inspire people in a positive way then art can inspire people in a negative way. So yeah I can see violent video games inspiring violence. The question to me is not if it does but how much. I have seen no proof that video games inspire enough people in one way or the other for me to worry about.
Violence is part of human nature. We're all potentially violent. Art is a mirror of human nature. It's only natural that it reflects the ugly, socially unacceptable parts as well as the good, socially rewarded ones.

Violent art (including video games and violent movies) in my humble opinion, does not inspire violence by itself, but it may shape the behavior of some individuals who are already prone to violence. A mentally ill person who already wants to kill random people may think of himself as a real life Joker or Niko Bellic. But the real problem is said person's mental illness, not the violent art.

Before video games and movies this kind of people tried to emulate different types of violent art: books, paintings, etc. There have been some loons who have copied the violent parts of the Bible and called themselves Satan or an avenger angel.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

deLurch wrote:

"Jackie" told her rah-rah pump-them-up story at a take back the night rally. And low and behold, someone listened. But instead of backing off, and reeling back into a more realistic version of her original story, she kept at it, afraid of being exposed as a liar.

The only way I feel sorry for "Jackie," is if something violently non-consensual did occur to her, because that would not be her fault. But exaggerating a story? That is all on her.
If one headkin enthusiastically consents to pulling a train at a frat party, can one of the other (non-consenting) headkins legally report a gang rape? And whether by the frat guys, or by the first headkin?

Shatterface as Guest

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
If movies (in the UK, I believe) can boast about passing the Bechdel Test, how long will it be before games come with Snarky's Seal of Approval. I actually look forward to such, so that I can calculate the point-biserial correlation between sales and having this seal. My prediction: negative about .35
The best thing to do is to keep posting the names of lesbian prison movies on Bechdel approval sites just to show how stupid it is.

Shatterface

Parody Accountant

Ape+lust wrote:I have the copypasta mummy to thank for this episode of the dipshit saying dipshit stuff. So, thanks Ophelia. You sick fuck.

https://archive.today/TbhRA

http://imgur.com/cJCjqrA.jpg
COW.

Also, LMAO.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

SkepticalCat wrote:
another lurker wrote:
I briefly watched wrestling with my mom when I was a pre teen. Not for the wrestling, but for the comedy. Who was that goateed wrestler who used to dress up as his mom? Classic stuff.
I watched wrestling for a short time when I was about ten years old. My favorite scene involved one wrestler (a 'bad guy') who had somehow acquired a voodoo doll of his arch-enemy, and slipped out of the ring to retrieve it during a match that he was losing. Surprisingly, it worked - each time he stabbed the doll with a pin, his enemy writhed in pain, eventually collapsing to the floor, where it was easy for the bad guy to defeat him. The audience was outraged by this display of poor sportsmanship.
My buddy & I hatched a plan to be WWF stars. He was about 350 lbs. and would do the wrestling. I was to dress up like a magician with a waxed mustache. He was to be a mild, Ferdinand-the-Bull type who I'd hypnotized into being a violent maniac. Every once in a while the spell would start to wear off and he'd come to attack me, spin me in the air, throw me into the crowd. But then I'd take out my pocket watch and re-hypnotize him to the boos & hisses of Com and his friends the audience.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Kirbmarc wrote:I've always said that Sarkeesian is much more clever and successful than many other SJWs. I date to say that she's actually smarter than PZ Myers, or at least more socially aware, since she's less likely to alienate people who support her.
I agree that she's way above average and way ahead of PZ in particular, but I ascribe this to a different reason. My belief is that she is smarter because she neither believes what she's saying nor is trying to believe it. Most SJWs actually the shit that they spew, which forces them to shut down most critical faculties to avoid the dissonance. PZ (and a few others like him) don't believe it, but are trying to believe it and this also forces them to stop thinking because thought is incompatible with the desired belief.

The one I'm not sure about is McIntosh. Does he believe this shit?

Parody Accountant

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
SkepticalCat wrote:
another lurker wrote:
I briefly watched wrestling with my mom when I was a pre teen. Not for the wrestling, but for the comedy. Who was that goateed wrestler who used to dress up as his mom? Classic stuff.
I watched wrestling for a short time when I was about ten years old. My favorite scene involved one wrestler (a 'bad guy') who had somehow acquired a voodoo doll of his arch-enemy, and slipped out of the ring to retrieve it during a match that he was losing. Surprisingly, it worked - each time he stabbed the doll with a pin, his enemy writhed in pain, eventually collapsing to the floor, where it was easy for the bad guy to defeat him. The audience was outraged by this display of poor sportsmanship.
My buddy & I hatched a plan to be WWF stars. He was about 350 lbs. and would do the wrestling. I was to dress up like a magician with a waxed mustache. He was to be a mild, Ferdinand-the-Bull type who I'd hypnotized into being a violent maniac. Every once in a while the spell would start to wear off and he'd come to attack me, spin me in the air, throw me into the crowd. But then I'd take out my pocket watch and re-hypnotize him to the boos & hisses of Com and his friends the audience.
[youtube]xIYVw3ZPJk[/youtube]

Highly relevant.

Shatterface as Guest

I might take the arguments about violent video games seriously if I hadn't heard exactly the same arguments about 'video nasties' in the Eighties or violent movies (A Clockwork Orange, Straw Dogs, Death Wish) in the Seventies.

You can follow the same arguments back through the campaigns against Action! comic in the Seventies, Mods and Rockers, EC horror comics, Rock'n'roll, Twenties Gangster Movies, Penny Dreadfuls in the 19th Century... all the way back to Plato proposing to ban Epic Poetry from The Republic.

In each case it has been The End of Civilisation as We Know It.

And society has less and less violent.

You know, if the censors could point to a moral panic from history that doesn't look laughable in retrospect they might have a fucking point.

Shatterface

Shatterface as Guest

I might take the arguments about violent video games seriously if I hadn't heard exactly the same arguments about 'video nasties' in the Eighties or violent movies (A Clockwork Orange, Straw Dogs, Death Wish) in the Seventies.

You can follow the same arguments back through the campaigns against Action! comic in the Seventies, Mods and Rockers, EC horror comics, Rock'n'roll, Twenties Gangster Movies, Penny Dreadfuls in the 19th Century... all the way back to Plato proposing to ban Epic Poetry from The Republic.

In each case it has been The End of Civilisation as We Know It.

And society has less and less violent.

You know, if the censors could point to a moral panic from history that doesn't look laughable in retrospect they might have a fucking point.

Shatterface

feathers

Post by feathers »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:I've always said that Sarkeesian is much more clever and successful than many other SJWs. I date to say that she's actually smarter than PZ Myers, or at least more socially aware, since she's less likely to alienate people who support her.
I agree that she's way above average and way ahead of PZ in particular, but I ascribe this to a different reason. My belief is that she is smarter because she neither believes what she's saying nor is trying to believe it. Most SJWs actually the shit that they spew, which forces them to shut down most critical faculties to avoid the dissonance. PZ (and a few others like him) don't believe it, but are trying to believe it and this also forces them to stop thinking because thought is incompatible with the desired belief.

I forgot the sources, but from what I read about him, he seems a highly manipulative bastard. Hence my suspicion that he's 'producing' Sarkeesian. I added the dumping bit because we're in a speculative mood tonight. My gut tells me he could just as well become spin doctor for the Republicans.

'Producing' doesn't mean that Sarkeesian is completely willess and stupid, but it's difficult to gauge which part of their success is whose brainwork.

Michael J

Post by Michael J »

Southern wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:Zerlina Maxwell believes that all accusations of rape should automatically be believed, evidence be damned.
Zerlina Maxwell wrote:IWe should believe, as a matter of default, what an accuser says. Ultimately, the costs of wrongly disbelieving a survivor far outweigh the costs of calling someone a rapist. Even if Jackie fabricated her account, U-Va. should have taken her word for it during the period while they endeavored to prove or disprove the accusation. This is not a legal argument about what standards we should use in the courts; it’s a moral one, about what happens outside the legal system.
Why is it so difficult for this people to understand that, yes, you should take seriously all accounts of rape and investigate them like we do with all other crimes? Why should rape be treat any differently than murder? Jeez. That would punish real rapists with the added benefit of not making you look like an imbecile if the accusation is false.
I think that these guys have shot off their own feet with these comments. Unfortunately for the Radfems this stuffup has gotten noticed by the public which is the wrong time to say stupid shit. I think most people just read the headlines and probably believe that colleges are a cesspool of rape and debauchery but when the headlines say its okay to treat accused people as guilty you are going to lose a lot of support.

Similarly with Anita, if she starts to become a regular on TV it wont be long until FOX starts airing the facts around her faking death threats.

Michael J

Post by Michael J »

Southern wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:Zerlina Maxwell believes that all accusations of rape should automatically be believed, evidence be damned.
Zerlina Maxwell wrote:IWe should believe, as a matter of default, what an accuser says. Ultimately, the costs of wrongly disbelieving a survivor far outweigh the costs of calling someone a rapist. Even if Jackie fabricated her account, U-Va. should have taken her word for it during the period while they endeavored to prove or disprove the accusation. This is not a legal argument about what standards we should use in the courts; it’s a moral one, about what happens outside the legal system.
Why is it so difficult for this people to understand that, yes, you should take seriously all accounts of rape and investigate them like we do with all other crimes? Why should rape be treat any differently than murder? Jeez. That would punish real rapists with the added benefit of not making you look like an imbecile if the accusation is false.
I think that these guys have shot off their own feet with these comments. Unfortunately for the Radfems this stuffup has gotten noticed by the public which is the wrong time to say stupid shit. I think most people just read the headlines and probably believe that colleges are a cesspool of rape and debauchery but when the headlines say its okay to treat accused people as guilty you are going to lose a lot of support.

Similarly with Anita, if she starts to become a regular on TV it wont be long until FOX starts airing the facts around her faking death threats.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Michael J wrote:Similarly with Anita, if she starts to become a regular on TV it wont be long until FOX starts airing the facts around her faking death threats.
Unless it's Fox that hires her for Shepard Smith's slot when they can't deal with him any more. Then they'll just hold the facts in reserve for when they grow tired of her.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Does Greta do the Macarena in all of her presentations?
regreta2.jpg
(11.87 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
regreta.jpg
(34.92 KiB) Downloaded 144 times

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Does Greta do the Macarena in all of her presentations?
regreta2.jpg
regreta.jpg
She's telling fish stories. I don't think the dildos were really that big.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
Michael J wrote:Similarly with Anita, if she starts to become a regular on TV it wont be long until FOX starts airing the facts around her faking death threats.
Unless it's Fox that hires her for Shepard Smith's slot when they can't deal with him any more. Then they'll just hold the facts in reserve for when they grow tired of her.
Fox won't hire her, she's not blond.

Parody Accountant

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
SkepticalCat wrote:
[youtube]-xIYVw3ZPJk[/youtube]

Highly relevant.

OOPS about earlier

windy

Post by windy »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
windy wrote:That's not what it says. They found 45,450 and 45,770 of each of the 6-base telomeric motifs, meaning the motifs covered 547,320 bases.
Agreed, which is why you must listen to what PZ said when discussing the 500,000+ number; he calls it the number of times that they found the motif, anywhere, across the whole of Chr2. If that had been a correct description of the number, then his chance analysis would have blown his own argument up.
He reads straight from the creationist paper, and then he says "you've got 547 thousand of those". It's a slip of the tongue- he says the correct numbers right before and they're up on the screen the whole time. Get your game on, I watched a minute of it and already found 2 better slip-ups than that ;)

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
SkepticalCat wrote:
another lurker wrote:

Hell yeah we would boo cause it's stupid gimmick. You would be getting straight up xpac heat.

Michael J

Post by Michael J »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
That's a possibility as FOX's viewers think computer games are a work of the devil and they might embrace her instead,

strayling

Post by strayling »

Service Dog wrote:U2 released a music video today, featuring my friend-- Chinese street artist DALeast-- now a resident of South Africa, painting my van in NYC, this summer. The song is a tribute to Joe Strummer:

Sweet ride. Pretty good song + video too.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

deLurch wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:Do diet sodas contain sorbitol? I don't know, but that would do it. Decades ago in the US, there was a heavily advertised hard candy sweetened with only sorbitol. They tasted great, but would turn your body into a toilet expressway. I don't know if it's still done, but cocaine used to be cut with mannitol, which compounded the drug's already peristaltic action. It's a pity, because sugar alcohols taste way better than aspartame.
Checked the label. Aspartame. You are right. Probably not it. In any case, I'm going to switch to beverages that have a better rehydration mix (sugar, salts) and drop the caffeine. The liquids are going straight through me.

If it's bacterial, perhaps a cup or two of yogurt wouldn't hurt.
When I am hardcore dieting I live on diet soda, jell-o and tuna. So far, no problems in the bum department, however, I did have periodic issues when I had a tiny tiny amount of kimchi with my tuna. OMFG. I didn't think that a teaspoon of kimchi could fuck me up so badly, but it did...

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Parody Accountant wrote:
[youtube]-xIYVw3ZPJk[/youtube]

Highly relevant.

OOPS about earlier
And people think this stuff is fake.

[youtube]N4O1sbKEIl8[/youtube]

dogen

Post by dogen »

Service Dog wrote:U2 released a music video today, featuring my friend-- Chinese street artist DALeast-- now a resident of South Africa, painting my van in NYC, this summer. The song is a tribute to Joe Strummer:

Once again, SD cements his reputation as The Most Interesting Slyme in the Pit. Bravo!

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
deLurch wrote:

If one headkin enthusiastically consents to pulling a train at a frat party, can one of the other (non-consenting) headkins legally report a gang rape? And whether by the frat guys, or by the first headkin?
You see, me and my homies like to play this game
We call it Amtrak but some call it the train
We all would line up in a single-file line
And take our turns at waxing girls' behinds

Read more: 2 Live Crew - We Want Some Pussy Lyrics | MetroLyrics

I love that song.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:Other fun parts of the video include PZ saying that humans "evolved from apes" (instead of having a common ancestor) and that most of the bases on our chromosomes are "just random junk" (instead of being relics of inactive genes). The guy is a total clown.
His wording is entirely correct. Our ancestor was an ape, hence we evolved from an ape. If you want to nitpick, we are still apes: a member of the dry-nosed primates (Haplorhini). To what degree a lot of DNA is noncoding “junk” is a matter of debate. There is perhaps more going on, but his “just random junk” remark doesn’t appear to be outrageously wrong for a lay audience.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Does Greta do the Macarena in all of her presentations?
regreta2.jpg
regreta.jpg
http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/i ... 18d31a.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zm5yHon.png

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

Aneris wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote:Other fun parts of the video include PZ saying that humans "evolved from apes" (instead of having a common ancestor) and that most of the bases on our chromosomes are "just random junk" (instead of being relics of inactive genes). The guy is a total clown.
His wording is entirely correct. Our ancestor was an ape, hence we evolved from an ape. If you want to nitpick, we are still apes: a member of the dry-nosed primates (Haplorhini). To what degree a lot of DNA is noncoding “junk” is a matter of debate. There is perhaps more going on, but his “just random junk” remark doesn’t appear to be outrageously wrong for a lay audience.
http://i.imgur.com/AaQBUXx.png

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Myth Hunters. Anyone seen it? Is it worth watching?

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

windy wrote:He reads straight from the creationist paper, and then he says "you've got 547 thousand of those". It's a slip of the tongue- he says the correct numbers right before and they're up on the screen the whole time. Get your game on, I watched a minute of it and already found 2 better slip-ups than that ;)
While I might not agree with you on this, I think that the entire YouTube community would benefit from your input. Please go ahead and post a comment on the video.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:

Sarkeesian is much more successful than other SJWs, I'll give you guys that. On the other hand, I think the much more clever part is inferred from the fact that she is successful, and I'm skeptical as to whether it is warranted.

I don't think most people would argue that Creed was a phenomenally clever musical act, but they did exactly what Anita did in my opinion; they managed to produce a product which appealed to a large audience for a period of time. It could be that Creed knew exactly what they were doing when they came up with the concept of their band and wrote their music, but I think it's at least equally plausible that they fell into success by accident rather than as a result of shrewd planning.

I think Anita is successful because she picked the right target at the right time. She hit gaming, a hobby of a relatively disrespected demographic when the social justice iron was hot and 3rd wave feminism was coming back into vogue. She knows how to come across as a semi-normal person, which makes her a cut above most of the SJWs out there who turn people off with their appearance and demeanor. Additionally, she knows how to wield a victim narrative, but I've seen no evidence that she does a better job at that than RW (for instance). It just happens on a larger stage because gaming is a bigger deal to more people than the a/s movement, and so more people are paying attention to Anita. So she ends up being eminent because she was the right person for the moment.

That doesn't suggest brilliance to me. It suggests someone who hit a bulls eye. If you hit a bulls eye once you don't qualify for any marksmanship awards; you have to be consistent for that. IMO we'll know if you guys are right about Anita's alleged cleverness when she manages to do something other than make the same youtube video over and over, or give the same conference talk, or write the same tweets about online harassment. If she can successfully feminize about something other than gaming without undermining her current standing, and if she is still around doing it in five or six years then I'll concede the point.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:Wow. PZ really is a disingenuous little shitbird.

At his talk at Skepticon 7, he does some math (around the 16-minute point), to show that the expected number of TTAGGG motifs on Chr2 by chance should be about 58,000. Then he says that we've found about 45,000 of these motifs, so there's nothing to see here; it's all just chance and creationists don't know probability.

Pretty good show if that's all you watch or your memory only extends back about 2 minutes. But scroll the video back to 13:20 and you'll see - according to PZ, at least - that the TTAGGG motif was actually found more than 500,000 times, i.e., about 10 times the rate predicted by chance. Given the huge N we have here, this would be off-the-scale significant if you did any inferential stats, supporting exactly the opposite point as PZ was making.

Fortunately for those who believe that Chr2 in humans is the fusion of two different chromosomes in other great apes, PZ's understanding of what the authors were saying when they said that the motif occurred more than 500,000 times is completely wrong. But given that the point of the talk was to teach people how to know more about genetics than a creationist, it's pretty fucking funny.

Other fun parts of the video include PZ saying that humans "evolved from apes" (instead of having a common ancestor) and that most of the bases on our chromosomes are "just random junk" (instead of being relics of inactive genes). The guy is a total clown.

Here's the video, if you want to check my story:
[youtube]-tCqtX4wriU[/youtube]
You are wrong.

"scroll the video back to 13:20 and you'll see - according to PZ, at least - that the TTAGGG motif was actually found more than 500,000 times, i.e., about 10 times the rate predicted by chance."

No, watch it again.
The 500,000 figure isn't the number of motifs. It refers to the total number of all the bases in the TTAGGG motif in both orientations, which can be calculated by adding up the sum of all the incidences of TTAGGG and CCCTAA on chromosome 2 and then multiplying that by six.

The 'evolved from an ape' and the 'junk DNA' points may not be totally accurate (and yes, I have no doubt that he's nitpick someone else for saying something that is not entirely scientifically exact), but it's meant for a non-scientific audience so I wouldn't worry too much that he's simplifying it for them.

It's easy to point out bad stuff that Myers has done or said without thrashing his knowledge of evolution - which is really not very controversial.
I happen to think he's OK when talking about evolution.
He's not particularly brilliant on that subject (even Aron Ra - a non biologist - is more entertaining) but he generally gets the facts correct.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

You guys are using your knowledge of what is true and what was probably in the paper, rather than listen to PZ.

Here are PZ's words: "...Widely distributed, intact, telomere motifs. What does that mean? That means, when you look at Chr2, you find this six nucleotide sequence scattered all over the place. Lots of places have a little TTAGGG scattered around in them. It's fairly common, it says. So, it says you've got 547,000 of them...."

And, yet, when PZ calculates what he believes is the chance frequency of TTAGGG to be 57,861 - and again uses the same phrasing as he did for the 547,000 (i.e., "widely scattered bits of DNA" at 15:20) - this is taken as chance occurrence.

Oh, and fuck you for making me listen to him again.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:You guys are using your knowledge of what is true and what was probably in the paper, rather than listen to PZ.

Here are PZ's words: "...Widely distributed, intact, telomere motifs. What does that mean? That means, when you look at Chr2, you find this six nucleotide sequence scattered all over the place. Lots of places have a little TTAGGG scattered around in them. It's fairly common, it says. So, it says you've got 547,000 of them...."

And, yet, when PZ calculates what he believes is the chance frequency of TTAGGG to be 57,861 - and again uses the same phrasing as he did for the 547,000 (i.e., "widely scattered bits of DNA" at 15:20) - this is taken as chance occurrence.

Oh, and fuck you for making me listen to him again.
I think he stumbles over the words a bit (he's not a great public speaker) but I think it's obvious that he doesn't mean that there is 547,000 telomeric repeats on chromosome 2 - since he has immediately prior to this given the much lower total for the motif in the forward and reverse orientations.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Dick Strawkins wrote:I think he stumbles over the words a bit (he's not a great public speaker) but I think it's obvious that he doesn't mean that there is 547,000 telomeric repeats on chromosome 2 - since he has immediately prior to this given the much lower total for the motif in the forward and reverse orientations.
Fine. I even said that that was a possibility in my first post on the matter. I also, then, said that I'm not willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on this, just as I'll never give Twatson the benefit of the doubt when she fucks up evo-psych. When you do nothing but sneer at something - as I am now, for example - you are much more likely to not read it carefully and, therefore, make an avoidable error that is not simply a case of stumbling over words. That's OK when you're just messing around. It's not OK when you are playing the role of Serious Scientist.

Southern

Post by Southern »

deLurch wrote:
Speaking of assmilk, so I evidently caught the flu or cold or something like that. Low grade fervor, sneezing, stuffed nose, a little phlegm, mild headache, some diarrhea. Not too unusual. Kind of killed my weekend as I opted to stay in to try and rest and kick this cold sooner, instead of partying hard and possibly dragging this out. And with diarrhea, I decided to try and push my fluids down myself to prevent dehydration. But man, I can't recall bouts of diarrhea lasting this long or this frequent. Hell, might as well look it up.

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorder ... s-diarrhea
Doctors classify diarrhea as "osmotic," "secretory," or "exudative."
Osmotic diarrhea means that something in the bowel is drawing water from the body. A common example is sorbitol, a sugar substitute found in sugarless candy and gum that isn't absorbed by the body but draws water into the bowel, resulting in diarrhea.
Secretory diarrhea occurs when the body is releasing water into the bowel. Many infections, drugs, and other conditions cause secretory diarrhea.
Exudative diarrhea refers to the presence of blood and pus in the stool. This occurs with inflammatory bowel diseases such as Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis, and several infections.
Yeah, so the first one on the list, Osmotic diarrhea. I had been downing about a 2-litter of diet soda for liquids. Yes, I knew it wasn't the perfect hydration mix (sugar, salt, water or just about anything similar to a sugar based sports drink), but I figured I was eating sufficient foods to get in the other mix of salts etc.

I am not saying for sure that it was the diet soda, but until I kick this I think I'll be switching over to sugar based drinks.

I'll save a cup for pz, since that misogynist shitlord evidently refuses woman's assmilk for the assmilk of his preferred gender.
You do realize your unethical misconduct of diagnosing yourself over the internet will end on doxxing, don't you? I'm paging Ofie, PZ and Nec_V20 this instant.

piero

Post by piero »

Good article at reason.com:

Rolling Stone and the Cult of Credulity
We now live in an increasingly Salem-like culture, in which people are called to suspend skepticism in relation to all allegations of rape, to say "I believe" the minute anyone claims to have been raped, and to be openly and proudly credulous in response to reports of rape. This cult of credulity, this constant chanting of "I believe!" has warped the public debate about rape and sexual assault. It has now reached its nadir in the shocking suspension of skepticism at Rolling Stone in response to a fabricated horror story.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Old_ones wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote:

Sarkeesian is much more successful than other SJWs, I'll give you guys that. On the other hand, I think the much more clever part is inferred from the fact that she is successful, and I'm skeptical as to whether it is warranted.

I don't think most people would argue that Creed was a phenomenally clever musical act, but they did exactly what Anita did in my opinion; they managed to produce a product which appealed to a large audience for a period of time. It could be that Creed knew exactly what they were doing when they came up with the concept of their band and wrote their music, but I think it's at least equally plausible that they fell into success by accident rather than as a result of shrewd planning.

I think Anita is successful because she picked the right target at the right time. She hit gaming, a hobby of a relatively disrespected demographic when the social justice iron was hot and 3rd wave feminism was coming back into vogue. She knows how to come across as a semi-normal person, which makes her a cut above most of the SJWs out there who turn people off with their appearance and demeanor. Additionally, she knows how to wield a victim narrative, but I've seen no evidence that she does a better job at that than RW (for instance). It just happens on a larger stage because gaming is a bigger deal to more people than the a/s movement, and so more people are paying attention to Anita. So she ends up being eminent because she was the right person for the moment.

That doesn't suggest brilliance to me. It suggests someone who hit a bulls eye. If you hit a bulls eye once you don't qualify for any marksmanship awards; you have to be consistent for that. IMO we'll know if you guys are right about Anita's alleged cleverness when she manages to do something other than make the same youtube video over and over, or give the same conference talk, or write the same tweets about online harassment. If she can successfully feminize about something other than gaming without undermining her current standing, and if she is still around doing it in five or six years then I'll concede the point.
I think Anita Sarkeesian is more of a representative of journalism these days. Or she could be seen as the saviour of journalism.

How about this. Journalists have a lot of pressure and competition from gamers themselves, who produce massive volumes of “let’s play” videos. Then the game creators makes it hard for them from the other end, with all the free to play games that don’t really need a special person giving advice.

So I guess that forces games journalism to suddenly “professionalize”. They can’t just give their armchair opinions about it, since that’s what social media and fans do better and in much greater volume.

That might create a kind of force on them that pushes them to try to become some sort of high art critic or social commentor. Someone like Anita Sarkeesian is relevant because journalists crave stories and she delivers them.

And here is the conflict. Gamers are mostly apolitical with their gaming hat on and gaming itself is not inherently political. They want to learn about whether some new game (or more often a franchise) is worth their emotional and time investment. The least they want is being lectured by wannabe intellectuals with the social justice warrior demeanor of bullshitting and talking down to their audience (which strangely transforms in the heads of SJWs as “I’m not meant, but someone else, and I agree!!11!”).

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

comhcinc wrote:
I think that many of you are reading that in the worst light possible. I happen to agree with her(?) statement because of the part that I put in bold.

When a person comes forward and claims to have been raped that person should be believe automaticly. That is not a crazy idea, nor is it different from any other crime. When my house was robbed the cop that showed up didn't questioned if it happened. He took the report.
Yes, it is a crazy idea. There's a wide gulf between taking accusations seriously and automatically believing them. Let's look at your analogy. You report a home robbery. When the police show up, they find evidence of breaking and entering, the house is in a huge state of disarray and many valuables appear to be missing. While not absolutely conclusive, it would be reasonable for cops to conclude that it's highly probable a robbery did occur and the huge majority of investigative resources involved should then be based on that working assumption.

But let's take a different scenario. The cops come to take your report, but there is no evidence of break-in, the house looks to be in order and many valuables are still in place. They basically only have your word. Of course, your accusation should still be taken seriously. But the question of whether a crime occurred is very much open, and if the cops were to pursue the case, significant investigative resources would have to be spent on this question.

Similarly with rape, the situation can be that a woman has injuries consistent with rape, or that it is only her word with little independent evidence. Maxwell claims that these should be treated the same: we should just assume she is telling the truth. And not just as a working assumption for investigation. According to her, punitive actions based on this assumption should take place, such as expelling the accused. It would be as if, in the second home robbery scenario, you identify who you believe did it and he is then fired as a result. It's not just crazy, but perniciously so. And, as I mentioned previously, her argument for doing so is transparently flawed, based on a false dichotomy where not automatically believing the accuser is tantamount to disbelieving her.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
deLurch wrote:

http://www.rottenecards.com/ecards/Rott ... yhqrwd.png