Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
Matt Cavanaugh

Re: STFU about Zimmerman. Nobody else gives a crap.

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Most importantly? That "ethical doc" writes exactly like Avi.

You so busted again, Avi.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Most importantly? That "ethical doc" writes exactly like Avi.

Oh my gosh, the sockpoppetry.

AVI. YOU REALLY NEED TO NEVER DO THIS AGAIN BECAUSE YOU'RE UNBELIEVABLY BAD AT IT.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

The Yeti wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:Less than 3 weeks to FTBCon3, if it's happening over January 23 - 25, 2015 (as rescheduled from August 2014).

Wonder what topics they'll cover. So far, the info sites don't have current information (or, maybe they do):

http://ftbcon.org/

http://lanyrd.com/2015/ftbcon-august/
At this point they should just make it into a big writing workshop with a special emphasis on proper rules for citation and attribution.
If they start by having each participant run through their preferred pronouns, that should eat up the bulk of each session, and they can as lib the remaining few minutes.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Guestus Aurelius wrote: Yes, it's plagiarism, and just to be clear, it would still be plagiarism even if he'd cited his source and even if this were the only example we'd discovered.

See here: http://writing.wisc.edu/Handbook/QPA_paraphrase.html (and note that Avi's "paraphrase" is of the "word-for-word" type, not the less-bad-but-still-plagiarism "patchwork" type)
Thanks for that link - that clears up a few things.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

I was transphobic. But then I had some transcocks shoved up my ass and I was cured.

I should write a poem or sonething about that.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

JacquesCuze wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:<snip> My comment was general information* about the condition he was describing, a microbiological twist that explains some cases but is little-known to the general public, and an as-it-turns-out quite ill-advised attempt at understated humor.

<snip>
Hey Shitlord, stop blaming the victim.
Dang, I thought that was required here. ;)

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:I was transphobic. But then I had some transcocks shoved up my ass and I was cured.

I should write a poem or sonething about that.
There once was a Slymepitter named Matt...

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Southern wrote:
bhoytony wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:Where's Bhoytony? he'd love this.
I've been stuck in a hotel in Bangkok by etihad while they sort out their flight schedule. Fuck knows when I'll get on a plane. At least Avi is providing some entertainment to pass the time.
Any chess tournaments and/or musicals in the city?
It looks like it might be more than One Night In Bangkok. I've been in this hotel for fourteen hours and still no info on when I'll get a flight. Can't even go out on the piss in case the airline gets in touch.

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

James Caruthers wrote:I'm bonerkin. I'm a man with a gigantic boner trapped in the body of a man with a tiny boner.

Stop oppressing me, you bonerkinphobic bigots!

Maybe someday science will advance to the point where a man with a tiny boner can get an operation to have a gigantic boner implant. Until then, I rely on all of you to treat me as if I have a massive, flagpole-sized erection at all times. Anyone who claims I have a tiny penis is oppressing me and is bigoted against bonerkins like myself.

(And yes, this particular post is about otherkins and not trans.)
I lolled.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Eskarina wrote:Avicenna is history:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/dispatches/ ... ght-blogs/
Holy fuck - is Brayton still stupid enough to believe this:
Here’s what I know about Avi. More than anyone else on this network, and more than almost anyone else I know, he really gives of himself to those who need it most. This is a guy who has spent the last few years living in rural India, working in a clinic treating the desperately poor people of the area while making very little money. He has been away from his family and his fiance and living in conditions that he did not need to live in to do put his talent and training as a doctor to help people. During that time, he has also been sent around the world to trouble spots where the need is more immediate and acute, treating refugees after violent attacks and natural disasters. During that time, he has contracted malaria and several other nasty ailments as a result of his work. He’s a good man. A very good man. And I consider him a personal friend, which I strongly hope will not end with this action.
He has been sent around the world....a fucking intern? Seriously? One who failed his test the first time? I could see maybe, maybe if he was some uber prodigy, but not some schlep who can't pass his exams. Why the hell would he be sent to help others if he can't do the job where he is, unless...they wanted to get rid of him. The same way CFI keeps Melody at home, maybe they did send him away so that they could have some peace and quiet. And living patients.

franc

Post by franc »

James Caruthers wrote:I'm bonerkin. I'm a man with a gigantic boner trapped in the body of a man with a tiny boner.

Stop oppressing me, you bonerkinphobic bigots!
http://i.imgur.com/RgSgmvY.jpg

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

rayshul wrote:
d4m10n wrote: ....
I hope they do a talk about ethics in journalism.
I hope it's about skepticism. A little of that from FtB might have nipped Avi's problem in the bud, and he'd have been able to stay as a blogger.
That actually would be a rather good idea: "Skepticism in theory and in practice" "In theory there's no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is".

But somewhat apropos and FWIW, a couple of comments of mine on Pharyngula starting here that – surprise, surprise – continue to see the light of day (or very early morning):
Steersman wrote:PZ (OP):
... all nonsense and known to us as completely bogus, pure dishonest attempts to harass him. Almost all of the accusations were lies.
I wonder whether you’re as certain of the former – “all completely bogus” – as you were in your “In defense of Avicenna” (1), notably this:
So to announce that because they found duplicate copies of some incoherent angry rage-mail means pretty much nothing. It definitely is not evidence that Avi is making stuff up.
You may wish to consider the implications of the aphorism, “once bit, twice shy”. Although I think the consequences are somewhat unfortunate as I at least thought there was some value in what Avicenna brought to the table, notably his perspectives on Islam.

But I think that that “rush to judgement” of yours, and by many of your commentariat, is a large part of the problem here, although while I’ll concede it’s rather too common in general, your general repudiation of skepticism is part and parcel of it. But another aspect of it is slinging bogus and quite egregious accusations about, and being unwilling or unable to provide any evidence to justify them – apropos of which, and considering Avicenna’s recent “apology”, any likelihood of you doing likewise, say in the next decade or so, for accusing Michael Nugent of providing a haven for rapists?

-----
1) “_http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2015/01/02/in-defense-of-avicenna/”;

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

rayshul wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Most importantly? That "ethical doc" writes exactly like Avi.

Oh my gosh, the sockpoppetry.

AVI. YOU REALLY NEED TO NEVER DO THIS AGAIN BECAUSE YOU'RE UNBELIEVABLY BAD AT IT.
I see now the phrase ending in a question ("Most importantly?") in that the comment by "Ethical Doc" - hadn't noticed that before, seems like a pretty unique habit.

I don't know the right terminology, but there's a gravatar.com link in the avatar at that comment; it links to an account w/ a name that suggests it was Avi's girlfriend...or at least that it was her account that was used to create the comment.

I learned about the gravatar.com thing over at FTB at Benson's or Zvan's about 1.5 yrs ago; it turns out it's one of the ways they learned info about me that I hadn't even known was there.

franc

Post by franc »

Skep tickle wrote:I learned about the gravatar.com thing over at FTB at Benson's or Zvan's about 1.5 yrs ago; it turns out it's one of the ways they learned info about me that I hadn't even known was there.
Don't feel alone or dumb. Gravatar has been a trap for numerous unwitting people. Whilst it is useful and has legitimate function, its privacy pitfalls are nowhere near advertised enough.

FWIW, and too late in your case, this doxxing bullshit - nobody has any obligation to confirm or deny anything. Especially in public. The onus is on the doxxer - and always, it's just circumstantial. Don't feed fires.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

I guess he was just trying to be like his hero, or he picked that name more carefully then we thought, giving away his secret and gloating that he admitted his crimes in public and no one caught him....until they did...bwahaha!

Still trying to catch up, but just in case nobody posted these:
[youtube]Qf63D4EQtV8[/youtube]
and Avi is saying:
[youtube]Wn9E5i7l-Eg[/youtube]
Others are replying:
[youtube]y7I5UaB7mx4[/youtube]
Social Justice Wankers and Whordelings are crying:
[youtube]dQw4w9WgXcQ[/youtube]
While this is playing while Brayton thinks back on the Life of Avi:
[youtube]Gf1WT8VEZxk[/youtube]

Enough with telling a story through videos. I could probably go on all night. Tip your wait-staff.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

franc wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:I learned about the gravatar.com thing over at FTB at Benson's or Zvan's about 1.5 yrs ago; it turns out it's one of the ways they learned info about me that I hadn't even known was there.
Don't feel alone or dumb. Gravatar has been a trap for numerous unwitting people. Whilst it is useful and has legitimate function, its privacy pitfalls are nowhere near advertised enough.

FWIW, and too late in your case, this doxxing bullshit - nobody has any obligation to confirm or deny anything. Especially in public. The onus is on the doxxer - and always, it's just circumstantial. Don't feed fires.
It's like the rest of life: learn from mistakes & move on - though it would be useful to have some "101" info readily available for casual internet users (like me).

Good to see you here, franc. *suppresses urge to add an emoticon*

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Don Quijote
4 January 2015 at 1:35 am
Fucking Steersman alert.
Somebody's fucking Steersman? Where? Where?

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

franc wrote:

I've had numerous go arounds with silicon valley tech folks who consider themselves privacy buffs over the issue where they defend gravatar as not being a privacy leak (though it clearly is). Sprinking links and md5s of email addresses, nope, not a privacy leak, not that is, if it was built and run by Silicon Valley fair haired boys, then it's just magical candy that makes the web go round. If Word Press uses it, it's got to be gravy!

It's also why, apart from this forum, I usually make up email addresses and change them often at most places I visit.

Ironic perhaps that Tom Preston-Werner, who built the thing in the first place, got into trouble / got fired from Github after his wife riled up the social justice warriors in Silicon Valley.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Aneris wrote:Gary Edwards has a good one that seems relevant.

[youtube]YoiG9T-9nRI[/youtube]

He's of course entirely correct. But he could have gone farther into the SJW mindset that actually also seeks to determine what people should like or not like aesthetically...
An awful lot of verbiage has been expended over Anita Sarkeesian that could be reduced to "she assumes her conclusions". She says "Gaming is riddled with misogyny. Contribute to my fundraiser so I can do the research to prove it". She has already determined what the outcome of her research will be before it starts. Very definition of confirmation bias.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Gefan wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:Paging Gefan! This is crying our for a Clownfall treatment!
Sometimes it's a challenge, but when The Fascist Tit calls, a true Slymepitter always answers:

[youtube]H-oNWWVN0ok[/youtube]

That, plus I had some time off today.
Oh, mate.
Best one yet.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

franc wrote:5 second nasal douche "how to". Take a big mouthful of salty water. Look at below image -

http://i.imgur.com/Spl1JCJ.png
HAHA! What a twat.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Sulman wrote:Thimbledick would say something but he can't be arsed.
Wait - he's saying that what happened at FtB isn't within their own tribe? Or that he only gets excited and wants to talk about things that happen within his tribe? I suppose he could be extending his "tribe" to a broader group that his small group is trying to control and eliminate undesirables from, in which case wouldn't that still be "internecine" and thus getting his hackles up?

wut? :teasing-knob:

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

I really shouldn't be surprised, but the lack of inquiry & skepticism over at FTB is stunning.

From one of the comments at Lousy Canuck's post on Avi: https://archive.today/LyOef

(Not that LC's blog post isn't almost entirely mendacious or at least uninformed & blinkered)
commenter at Lousy Canuck wrote:I am really disappointed. Of course I’m taking it on trust that the examples Hemant Mehta gives are real; I don’t consider him particularly reliable, based on past experience, and I consider the way he presented the PZ Myers entry in this article thoroughly dishonest. But assuming the charges hold up–and I’m guessing that’s the case from Avicenna’s lameass “apology” and from FtB’s reaction–then I am damn disappointed. ...
OMG. Mehta provided links, and quotes, and bolded the parts that were the same. You don't have to take it on trust.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
ROBOKiTTY wrote:People keep doing this, so I'm going to have to keep calling people out on this. Stop associating transgender with otherkin.
You do realize that they are related, yes?
They're related in the sense that "otherkin" are abusing the compassion shown to trans people. We don't know what causes gender dysphoria, but we recognise it exists, that people who suffer from it genuinely do believe they are in some essential sense the sex they identify as, and that gender identity is a powerful thing (see David Reimer), so medical treatment is available and we recognise people who transition as the gender they identify as. To me, that's reasonable.

"Otherkin" are just overgrown spoiled children who say "if you recognise trans people as the gender they identify as, then you have to acknowledge my imaginary friend Binky because I say he exists". They can fuck off.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

piero wrote:From Pharyngula's comment section:
Gen, Uppity Ingrate and Ilk

3 January 2015 at 3:20 pm

But “emboldening dangerous people” is another thing because he does not have to be my fucking model minority. The Slymepit needs no encouraging and they are fucking responsible for their own actions. They are not dogs who get stones thrown at them.

For me, it’s not about “my model minority”, it’s about the fact that because they were right about this one thing, the slymepit lies become harder to just dismiss out of hand, and more effort must now go into debunking each and every lie their twisted minds can come up with, with them repeating the lies, even the ones that were already debunked, until people who are not familiar with the conflict believes them because they happened to luck into being right this once. It gives them credibility they do not deserve, and more people will take their lies seriously without doing the extensive research necessary to find out the truth.

And that because of something so monumentally *stupid* and easily avoided by anyone with diligence.

I don’t think that’s “respectability politics”, I think that’s a legitimate concern.
Just out of curiosity, who was the fucker whose lies were "debunked" by the Phlock? It's a fucking disgrace, I tell you! Can't you even lie properly? Don't you realise you've a reputation to defend? Fucking hell...! If you can't lie, then don't try it, FFS. Look at what happened to Avicenna.

Also out of curiosity: what's with Phlockers nyms? SInce I'm not a native English speaker, I'm probably missing something: is there anything witty, or funny, or both, in "Nerd of Redhead, Dances OM Trolls," "Right Reverend Feminist FuckToy of Death & Her Handmaiden," "Caine, Fleur du Mal," "Jadehawk, cascadeuse féministe," "Gen, Uppity Ingrate and Ilk," etc.?
Fine. Cazzo Piero. Happy now?

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

smoothmedia wrote:Avicenna has posted a new apology that thanks FTB on his facebook.

[blockquote]I am finally off work so can craft a proper response. (Just came off a 24 hour shift)
I apologise for any problems I have caused. I was being foolish and thoughtless in the way I wrote, it was never my intention to do any harm.
The only thing I can do is hope to improve the way I write and prevent such errors in the future. Thank you for giving me a place to speak and tell my story and the places and people I work around.
I did learn a lot from everyone and it helped improve the way I deal with my patients. If not for Zinnia I would not have understood what my Hijra patients go through. If not for Ophelia and Miri I would not have learned a lot about feminism. Special thanks to PZ myers and JT for the silly hangout and the games suggestions. And Ed for keeping me sane when I had no work.
Had I a normal working week this would have come out a lot sooner.
Thanks for the Fun!
Avi
[/blockquote]

A 24 hour shift.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

:laughing-rollingyellow:

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

didymos wrote:I notice Avicenna still hasn't changed his twitter bio, where he proudly mentions being with FTB.
Jesus Christ, give him a chance! He's just done a 24 hour shift working as a doctor for free.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

ROBOKiTTY wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote:
ROBOKiTTY wrote:However, the Pit does suffer from a genuine problem with unchallenged transphobia and otherkinphobia.
Oh, please. Being skeptical about the claims of people who think their brain belongs in a different body is not a phobia.
I don't consider trans-skepticism in itself transphobic. However, there are Pitters who have made it clear they will never consider arguments from trans or otherkin people. That's what I'm referring to.
I believe the skeptic position on this is that you have a right to describe your subjective experience but your explanation carries no more weight than anyone else's. Perhaps these Pitters are approaching the issue in that spirit.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

James Caruthers wrote:So I heard Avicenna makes two quid a day? Is that even possible?
That was from his blogging. Now he earns nothing. Blogging was his sole source of income.
Even though he's a fully qualified doctor who chooses to work 24 hour shifts....For free.*

*All claims made by Avicenna

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
smoothmedia wrote:Avicenna has posted a new apology that thanks FTB on his facebook.

[blockquote]I am finally off work so can craft a proper response. (Just came off a 24 hour shift)
I apologise for any problems I have caused. I was being foolish and thoughtless in the way I wrote, it was never my intention to do any harm.
The only thing I can do is hope to improve the way I write and prevent such errors in the future. Thank you for giving me a place to speak and tell my story and the places and people I work around.
I did learn a lot from everyone and it helped improve the way I deal with my patients. If not for Zinnia I would not have understood what my Hijra patients go through. If not for Ophelia and Miri I would not have learned a lot about feminism. Special thanks to PZ myers and JT for the silly hangout and the games suggestions. And Ed for keeping me sane when I had no work.
Had I a normal working week this would have come out a lot sooner.
Thanks for the Fun!
Avi
[/blockquote]

A 24 hour shift.
Well, 24 hr shifts do exist (though are less common for physicians, at least in the US, than they used to be).

But if what he says is true, it's a shift that allowed him to spend time on twitter to the tune of ~30 tweets over the 9 hr period before that FB post, and a whole bunch more "1 d" ago.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

dogen wrote:
deLurch wrote:Of interest, Avi says that he is a full doctor now. If this is the case, assuming his credentials are worth anything, wouldn't it make sense to go work somewhere that paid more? He could finance a hell of a lot of doctors in india at $2 per day.
Yesterday, there were some insightful comments on the 'Pit (BarnOwl? Based Zebra? Screwtape?) considering whether Avi's MD qualification might be non-UK (most likely, Indian). If this is indeed true, then his options for going somewhere where the pay is better are somewhat limited.
Not true - look at how successful Deepak Chopra is. He's at least as fanciful as Avi (or he wishes he was) and probably a better doctor.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Gefan wrote:Sometimes it's a challenge, but when The Fascist Tit calls, a true Slymepitter always answers:

[youtube]H-oNWWVN0ok[/youtube]

That, plus I had some time off today.
HEEEEEEE! :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap:

But really, fuck the Bard. He was good, but could he do this?
And I get to float above all of it, buoyed by my wings of privilege.
Not in two lifetimes.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Parody Accountant wrote:http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-896963
Or even recognising their presence. Would that Pit itself could clean house – but then there’d only be spectators left.
We know this isn’t the first time time FtB has dealt with a bad apple either. Of course, the first such apple was PMS, aka Posterboy for Misogynist Stupidity, aka Phil Mason, aka Thunderwhatever. But (again, of course) he was a brave manly hero, a champion of free speech, a wasp against lions, and was unfairly turfed out via ghastly misandrist hate-crime because of mere dissent from FtB feminazi dogma – nothing at all to do with immediately behaving like an abusive arsehole toward his colleagues at the slightest hint of criticism or disagreement. Although, sarcasm aside, I’d’ve turfed him for his shitty writing eventually, even if he wasn’t a raging git.

Avicenna, on the other hand – according to Pit lore – was more than a plagiarist, he was also an origin-fabricating fraud and impostor and should have been ejected years ago.

I give full credit to this network for removing people from their rolls who behave unethically, even (especially) supporters of their SJ goals like Avicenna. This also includes the banning of repeat-offending trolls and tedious sea-lioning JAQ-offs. Hemant, Nugent & co, for all their accomplishments, could do far more to clean their own houses and probably would if they didn’t seem intent on pleasing everyone, to the detriment of a large chunk of their audience.
Forgot about the Laden?
Someone needs to take a long, long shit. He's full to the brim.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

She has that effect on people.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

rayshul wrote:Aw for fuck's sake, they're really throwing Avi under the bus.

They've shamed the shit out of him, it's done.

Just let the guy go and stfu about it.
I was surprised they didn't go for the traditional option of resign with honour.

Clearly they wanted a public beheading out of a defensive need to demonstrate contrition / purpose.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Skep tickle wrote: Well, 24 hr shifts do exist (though are less common for physicians, at least in the US, than they used to be).

But if what he says is true, it's a shift that allowed him to spend time on twitter to the tune of ~30 tweets over the 9 hr period before that FB post, and a whole bunch more "1 d" ago.
The funny thing is, when Avi was gainfully employed at FTB a few weeks ago, he was crowing about how he had to work 12 hour shifts, 6 days a week. Now that he needs people to feel sorry for him he's doubled that to working 24 hour shifts for free. Come his next attempt at a sympathy-harvest he'll probably be claiming he has to perform these shifts whilst riding a unicycle along a tightrope.
It's all rather chucklesome.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

dogen wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
rayshul wrote:Snippity
I don't think it's transphobic here. But people will shit on you here if you disagree with them and there is name calling and people being assholes and if you say X about your identity they'll shit on you for that. BEcause it's something that obvs pisses you off.

AT least that's what I think it is... but if anyone here is transphobic I'm sure they'll disagree with me here.
Transphobic implies a fear...I don't see that. There are questions, and some dismissive attitudes. I have come to question much of what I was taught as gospel...that gender could be modified, that transsexuals were ALL simply the mind in the wrong body. Some of the questioning came from the SJW online, some of it is interaction (in my case) with a transsexual wackjob IRL.

There is a dearth of evidence for the "wrong body for the mind," and I don't think it's at all transphobic to ask for evidence that this is the case, especially given the comorbidity of mental health issues and trans issues. It would be doing all trans folk a disservice to suspend actually scientific and medical investigation just to spare the feelings of a few, regardless of how passionately they hold their opinions.

As for otherkin...I thought that was a sort of running joke with you. I can imagine myself a chess grandmaster, a kung-fu Shaolin warrior or an unassuming hamster named Bertie...but that makes none of them true, nor does it follow that I am trapped in the wrong body. It means I have an imagination. Nothing more.
Fucking hell, you wankstains, not this trans/other shit again.

THIS WEEK IS AVI WEEK

Get back on message, or I'll shank you with a rusty pangolin.
I identify as Avikin, and am currently typing this on the back of an elephant crossing the alps to attack Moscow. My preferred pronoun (only one) is AVIM (all caps, please, none of that plebeian lower-case). Now, where did I put that snow-shark with the laser on its head? Damn thing ran off again.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Skep tickle wrote:Less than 3 weeks to FTBCon3, if it's happening over January 23 - 25, 2015 (as rescheduled from August 2014).

Wonder what topics they'll cover. So far, the info sites don't have current information (or, maybe they do):

http://ftbcon.org/

http://lanyrd.com/2015/ftbcon-august/
I think I heard they may do something about Ethics in Blogging, with Remedial Quotations. But I could be wrong. I think they invited some Indian Doctor to teach it? A-something.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

franc wrote:

Ninja'd on the ethics/writing class, of course. I had hoped I'd be better closer to the end of the thread, but I don't check times. Ah, well.

The Battelog forum I used to read/post on (dropped the shit game and haven't even wanted to play in around 7-8 months, so why waste time there) had a thing for gravitars. You had some morons going "You don't have a gravitar, you don't write anything worth reading, hut, hut". I tried to get "gravitards" going as the name for these idiots, but I doubt it caught on. My reasons for not using it were the same - it's just another place to put your info out over the web, and I have enough of that as it is. All I need is another way for morons to hack or steal my info, or use it like the baboons to try and attack me (or my friends or family). No thanks. I rarely look at avatars anyway. What a person says is more important than who says it or what picture they use.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
didymos wrote:I notice Avicenna still hasn't changed his twitter bio, where he proudly mentions being with FTB.
Jesus Christ, give him a chance! He's just done a 24 hour shift working as a doctor for free.
Hey, now, Avi works hard to get his paycheck:
[youtube]6z9Cg46Nktw[/youtube]

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Skep tickle wrote: Well, 24 hr shifts do exist (though are less common for physicians, at least in the US, than they used to be).

The funny thing is, when Avi was gainfully employed at FTB a few weeks ago, he was crowing about how he had to work 12 hour shifts, 6 days a week. Now that he needs people to feel sorry for him he's doubled that to working 24 hour shifts for free. Come his next attempt at a sympathy-harvest he'll probably be claiming he has to perform these shifts whilst riding a unicycle along a tightrope.
I think we're going to be enjoying Avi for a long time to come. He's as obstinate as Oolon. I think his sendoff from FtB would've been a lot nicer if he hadn't been on Twitter howling about magic laptops, lentils, and rice. He just doesn't know how to stop and will probably be still angling for the last word at the end of the decade.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Brive1987 wrote:She has that effect on people.
Do they (and these people) count as otherkin? If so, I may have to rethink things.... (paging Clarence - where is he anyway?)
[youtube]N7EBdaWorME[/youtube]

Satan

Post by Satan »

Stuff that's acceptable on Twitter: ISIS soliciting suggestions on how to kill a prisoner of war, in very likely a violation of international law.

Stuff that's not acceptable on Twitter: criticizing prominent upper-middle class first world feminists.

It's so refreshing to see that Twitter's executives have their priorities in order.

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

Ha! Steersman has managed to sneak a couple of posts in at Pharyngula on the "Farewell Avicenna" thread, wonder how long they will stay up?

Of course the horde are insulting and dismissing him,and a cursory harrassment accusation without any attempt to address any of his points, it's quite pitiful to watch them sometimes. I won't bother linking it, you know where to go, and it's been linked upthread anyway. Worth a try to get through somehow eh Steers?

And of course great video Gefan :clap:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Badger3k wrote:
Do they (and these people) count as otherkin? If so, I may have to rethink things.... (paging Clarence - where is he anyway?)
[youtube]N7EBdaWorME[/youtube]

A veritable clowder of pussy.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Completely unrelated (except for the writing style) - does Avi write the titles for some of the torrents on that Kickass site? When browsing porn I frequently see ones like this. I doubt even google translate could come up with something this bad. It's like someone just threw together some keywords and posted something. And no, I'm not going to download it to see what it could be. Probably naked pictures of Oolon or something....

CWM-226 AV Be Patient Three Weeks Masturbation Twice Beauty Ass Of Breasts E Cup Wife Every Day... (Size: 1.08 GB)

(to be honest, I've gotten quite a few emails with things written like this. It can be fun to stroll through the spam filter once a month or so)

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I see RW's boost in patreon income from her call-out to 150,000 SGU listeners is about $170 a month.

Oh how fickle her fans can be.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Apparently having to outsource your list of required reading is a thing now - I thought there were already lists made for this sort of thing (Party Approved Writers, I mean): archive of "No More White Men" by another melanin-challenged individual. It's all about who is approved to write:
Nah, this resolution is specifically about fiction. Books, to be precise. Cause there’s a hell of a lot of amazing books being written, right? Far, far more than anyone could ever hope to read. This year I want to make a deliberate effort to read things that aren’t all written from the perspectives that dominate our culture. Hence: no white men.

With one exception. Paul Anthony Shortt writes damn good books that are super feminist that I want to read, damnit. Also being an RL friend of mine who let me use his washing machine just last month when mine was broken and I was almost out of socks doesn’t hurt.
Seriously, there is nothing wrong with expanding your horizons, but if I read books for fun or entertainment, who the writer is isn't as important as how they write and what the story is. If it sounds interesting, I'll probably give it a try. I have no idea of the sex or color or most of the writers I have in my library. I might be able to guess a few based on the name, but I know many use pseudonyms so that isn't always good. On the bolded part alone, I am disinclined to read anything by that author, since if the blog author thinks they are "super feminist" I suspect they are more ideologically driven than reality based. Probably to the point of satire.

I saw a paraphrase on twitter (and probably elsewhere, or somewhere - don't really recall" - in regards to #gamergate, most gamers (and #gaters) don't really care who or what you are, just how you play (or how good is the game you designed). Except for a few big names (Kojima being one), I really have no idea who develops the games I like. If I look at the credits, I see a mix of names suggesting both biological sexes, and some that give absolutely no clue - is Stef male or female? who knows, and really, who cares except their friends - it's irrelevant to how the game plays out. However, when you base your life on Identity as opposed to talent, skill, merit, etc, then that becomes the go-to metric you judge everything by.

My niece is coauthor of a book, and they were working on the sequel last I knew, and she reads everything. She would probably completely perplexed by this attitude of Approved Authors. If the author is good, the race, sex, nationality...irrelevant. It shouldn't even be an issue, but it's sad that it is. Am I missing something?

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Brive1987 wrote:I see RW's boost in patreon income from her call-out to 150,000 SGU listeners is about $170 a month.

Give her time. Another video at the end of the month with more "hate mail" and she'll get an influx of suckers...I mean, socially aware caring people who just have to show their support for social justice by giving her their welfare checks...

so, basically Social Justice Patreon is just like a poor-man's (or woman's) 700 club? No wonder Watson was ragging on Randi - he exposed several scammers already.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Oglebart wrote:Ha! Steersman has managed to sneak a couple of posts in at Pharyngula on the "Farewell Avicenna" thread, wonder how long they will stay up?

Of course the horde are insulting and dismissing him,and a cursory harrassment accusation without any attempt to address any of his points, it's quite pitiful to watch them sometimes. I won't bother linking it, you know where to go, and it's been linked upthread anyway. Worth a try to get through somehow eh Steers?
:-) Nothing ventured, nothing gained; once more into the breach; I regret that I have but one (or a dozen) e-mail addresses to sacrifice for my country. And all that. :-)

Satan

Post by Satan »

Academic feminist gets upset that male student opposes affirmative action for women, goes to Stack Exchange for advice on how to damage his employment prospects.

In the next twenty years, we're going to find out what happens to a society whose youth reject political tolerance.

franc

Post by franc »

Because it's necessary -

http://i.imgur.com/Y4qdiux.jpg

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

I had to reinstall my Windows 7
See? That's where you went wrong.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Brive1987 wrote:I see RW's boost in patreon income from her call-out to 150,000 SGU listeners is about $170 a month.

I'll just drop this here, because who knows? If enough of these pop up, she'll get to enjoy the Shermer stigma of being a serial harasser/rapist :D

http://imgur.com/ELPPgG9.png

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

Ape+lust wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:

I think we're going to be enjoying Avi for a long time to come. He's as obstinate as Oolon. I think his sendoff from FtB would've been a lot nicer if he hadn't been on Twitter howling about magic laptops, lentils, and rice. He just doesn't know how to stop and will probably be still angling for the last word at the end of the decade.
How long until the AviPatron lurches into action to cure cancer n stuff in Inja?

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Well, I guess I couldn't be more wrong about Avi. He's bailed on Twitter and Facebook. Buh-bye.

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

Actually, Avi has enough chutzpah to ask for money for a course to improve his writing. He might get it too, such is the dumbheit of the Whored.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:How long until the AviPatron lurches into action to cure cancer n stuff in Inja?
Looks like he's hunkering down. It might've occurred to him that being a worldwide dumbass isn't the best way to hold onto a girlfriend, among other consequences more substantial than losing an FtB blog.

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

Ape+lust wrote:Well, I guess I couldn't be more wrong about Avi. He's bailed on Twitter and Facebook. Buh-bye.
Time for a name change then... Along with a change in writing style? We'll see.