Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
Eskarina

Re: STFU about Zimmerman. Nobody else gives a crap.

Post by Eskarina »

Pitchguest wrote:Kirbmarc: More! I don't know what it is, but seeing PZ's own commentariat tear apart his own words makes me giddy. :lol:
Seconded. I hope it will take a long time till the shoe drops.

TiBo

Post by TiBo »

SkepticalCat wrote:I thought this was a really good commentary about the cartoon controversy; it made me re-think my position on the publishing of the cartoons:

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015 ... -cartoons/

I'd be interested to hear what other Slymepitters think.
Reading this thing I wondered who this slimeball of an author was... on the end of the page: glenn.greenwald@theintercept.com .. ok, that clears things up.

Ahm, the problem with this article is its dishonesty.
Greenwald claims that anti-jewish caricatures are shunned because anti-judaism is shunned. Horseshit. Jews could have no religion at all, and they would still face prosecution, based on the heinous lies about them other religions have established as cultural memes. That hate may have originated in religious competition in ancient days, but it surely has developed during the centuries, and he Nazis surely didn't despise the jews because of their funny hats and their views about the origins of the universe. They hated them for their genetically inherited qualities which allegedly made them a destructive force for any society. And for quite a long time now, these memes have only served 1 purpose: To legitimise violence. This isn't blasphemy. It's a cowardly attempt to get people murdered.

And the proof that Greenwald isn't just dumb, but deliberately lying about this, is in this bit:
"In particular, the west has spent years bombing, invading and occupying Muslim countries and killing, torturing and lawlessly imprisoning innocent Muslims, and anti-Muslim speech has been a vital driver in sustaining support for those policies."
Really? For this to be a valid argument, anti-islamic blasphemy, maybe cartoons in particular, must have been used as a justification to bomb "muslim countries" ... well, I can't remember Bush or Cheney sporting their latest Charlie Hebdo issue in front of the press, claiming that muslims bake bread with the blood of little children, and that we must therefor wage war against the moosle world. That's because it never happened - but if Greenwald wants to sell his bullshit to his fellow leftist air heads, he has to at least try to make it look like there is a connection.

What a fucking little Scheister.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Dave

Post by Dave »

Oglebart wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote:Thanks for the reply. I want to explore this, as it's what has me confused:
Dave wrote:Go ahead if you want and walk down a back alley drunk off your ass at 3 in the morning with your tits hanging out, and if you get raped, its still your rapists fault and he/she/it deserves to get nailed to the wall, but you should realize what you are opening yourself up to.
When you write "opening yourself up to" (with which I completely agree), are you also saying "partially responsible"? That seems to be the key issue: how do you give advice (or state the obvious, as you said later) without shifting blame? Or does some blame actually get shifted?
Forgive me for jumping in Dave, but what I see the "opening yourself up to" is of course risk. You can offer sensible advice and state that you may be placing yourself at more risk by your actions. Then it has to be a personal decision if that risk is worth it. Clearly Charb thought that his messages and right to express them were worth the risk to his personal safety. Unfortunately it's the fact that offence is taken in such huge amounts by the SJW's that make this an impossible discussion to have with them.
Yeah, pretty much. Situational awareness is not about avoiding all risks, its about being aware of the ones you are taking. Im fond of the quote I read somewhere, the source now lost to time and space, even my skillz at teh goog are not sufficient to reveal: "Yes, I fear death. But there are things I fear more than death, so sometimes I do not avoid death."

Really?

Post by Really? »

Nothing good since...need more PZ werdz.

https://web.archive.org/web/20150109205 ... -violence/

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Dick Strawkins wrote:http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2010 ... -religion/

"islam is a weaklings religion"
Thanks!

Dave

Post by Dave »

Dave wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote:Thanks for the reply. I want to explore this, as it's what has me confused:
Dave wrote:Go ahead if you want and walk down a back alley drunk off your ass at 3 in the morning with your tits hanging out, and if you get raped, its still your rapists fault and he/she/it deserves to get nailed to the wall, but you should realize what you are opening yourself up to.
When you write "opening yourself up to" (with which I completely agree), are you also saying "partially responsible"? That seems to be the key issue: how do you give advice (or state the obvious, as you said later) without shifting blame? Or does some blame actually get shifted?
Only in a microscopic sense, certainly not in a legal sense. We are all responsible for our own actions. If you pass out drunk in front of me with a wad of $100 bills hanging half out of your pocket, its still my choice to rob you or not. On the otherhand, Im still entitled, and justified, in considering you a dumbshit. Your choices in behavior have certainly increased the odds that you will be robbed, so I suppose, if we were apportion out responsibility to the 15th decimal place, you are slighly more responsible for the robbery than had you made other choices, yet your total responsibility is still orders of magnitude less than that of the jackass who robbed you. Legally, we simply dont parse responsibility to that level.

When I write "opening yourself to" I mean "increasing the risk of."

More later, have a call I need to make.
I know I said more later, but reading it over, I think I said what I wanted to say. Perhaps I should add that its not just legally, but in normal ethics, we dont parse responsibilty that finely: It doenst really matter if you are 0.01% or 0.02% responsible for the robbery when the the robber is 99.9+% responsible.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2010 ... -religion/

"islam is a weaklings religion"
Thanks!
Here's a good resource.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Talk:PZ_Myers#Islam_2

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Dave wrote:I know I said more later, but reading it over, I think I said what I wanted to say.
That's fine. Plus, I wish to accede to deLurch's (reasonable) request for delay. cheers

Random Lurker

Post by Random Lurker »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote:Where is the line between victim-blaming and partial responsibility due to known avoidability?

When Thunderf00t argued that the extreme form of "no victim-blaming!" was preventing people from giving good advice on how to avoid being raped, I agreed with him and even went so far as to wonder if some people actually want undergrad women to be raped, just to help their cause. I could not explain their extreme rejection of giving good advice in any other way. We tell people to lock their doors, etc, but we aren't allowed to give anything like that advice for rape. It seems crazy.

If I were to say that one can reduce the odds of being killed from Muslim nut-jobs by not publishing certain cartoons, which side of the line would I be on? Or is this a case of the bodies not being cold enough to even ask this question?
There is a difference between recommending women (and men for that matter) to use caution when partying and telling them they shouldn't do it or they deserved to get raped.
Likewise, when satirizing Islamists there is a difference between warning the satirists about the danger of what they are doing and recommending security measures and telling them to not hurt people's feelings. The folks at CH did take security measures that unfortunately didn't protect them from these particular criminals.
Determined burglars can rob a house that has locked doors too, that doesn't mean you should make sure you never obtain possessions worth stealing or you are asking for it. However, you may want to think twice about leaving valuables in open sight in an unlocked car in the wrong part of town. At least until we can just tell thieves not to steal.

Another distinction I’d add is what freedoms are being given up or curtailed by taking risk-reducing advice. In a perfect world a cute college freshman could get heroically intoxicated at a frat party to the point of passing out yet wake up the next morning with all of his/her orifices the same size as before. In the real world, however, I wouldn't view suggesting people moderate their drinking under specific conditions so as to add to their personal safety level. I’d like to be able to leave my home wide open during summer days while I'm at work to keep from racking up large air conditioning bills, but I don’t feel put upon by securing my possessions from theft.

Compare that to asking people to refrain from criticizing or even poking fun at a major world religion. To suggesting satirists not ply their trade on certain topics, lest they offend. Don’t want to get killed? Don’t make a joke. That’s such a greater infringement of basic human liberties to obtain deserved safety that it’s not even on the same scale as 'don’t get pass out drunk around strangers' or 'don’t leave your car/house unlocked'.

The comparative advice would be : don’t want to get raped? Don’t go to college, don’t go out on dates, and for god’s sake never wear clothing that shows any skin. Or don’t buy that nice plasma TV if you want to make sure some Scary Black Man doesn't break in and steal it.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:There is a difference between recommending women (and men for that matter) to use caution when partying and telling them they shouldn't do it or they deserved to get raped.
I'm aware of this. Are you not aware that even suggesting to some women that they use caution when partying (without any of the rest of what you wrote) will often be met with screams of "misogyny!"?
FFS of course I'm aware of that! :lol: I guess you really didn't get the point I was making.
If I were to say that one can reduce the odds of being killed from Muslim nut-jobs by not publishing certain cartoons, which side of the line would I be on?
I'll try to make it clearer. Obviously it would be less risky to not do it, that is a simple statement of fact. If you warn someone to take some precautions when engaging in that behavior you are on the side of common sense, if you are on the side of not allowing cartoonists to satirize a bunch of violent thugs because that may give them some half assed excuse to commit a crime than you are on the wrong side.

Dave

Post by Dave »

Dave wrote:I know I said more later, but reading it over, I think I said what I wanted to say.
That's fine. Plus, I wish to accede to deLurch's (reasonable) request for delay. cheers
Fair enough. Hope Im around when you bring it up.

Although, I would note that the evidence so far suggests DeLurch is incorrect -- there appear to be several commentors willing to discuss in what appears to be a calm and reasonable tone. I would say this reflects well on the pit.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

More good stuff from Tony!, rq and the "lovely" Gilliel:

[quote="Tony!]kolnnauzer @338:
There has been a strange and nasty backlash against atheism lately, and it’s largely driven by ignorance and bias. There was a simply awful article in Salon, accusing atheists of being islamophobes — it was disgracefully dishonest, and Greenwald does himself no favors by linking favorably to it.
“Lately”?
Oh, and there are plenty of atheists with a heaping ton of anti-Muslim bigotry.[/quote]
rq wrote:kolnnauzer
Some christians fall apart over not being allowed public christmas displays. Your point?
Giliell, professional cynic -Ilk- wrote: kolnnauzer
There was a simply awful article in Salon, accusing atheists of being islamophobes
Somehow it’s bad when done to you..
Islam is a weakling’s religion. After all, some Muslims fall apart into frightened hysterics when someone draws a cartoon.
Although in your case it’s quite accurate…
BTW you really gotta choose one.
They’re either bloodthirsty savages or weakling cowards.

Shatterface as Guest

Post by Shatterface as Guest »

Giliell, professional cynic -Ilk-
9 January 2015 at 3:01 pm
kolnnauzer
There was a simply awful article in Salon, accusing atheists of being islamophobes

Somehow it’s bad when done to you..

Islam is a weakling’s religion. After all, some Muslims fall apart into frightened hysterics
when someone draws a cartoon.

Although in your case it’s quite accurate…
BTW you really gotta choose one.
They’re either bloodthirsty savages or weakling cowards.
Fuckin' A. You tell Peezus, Giliell!

Shatterface

Garlix

Post by Garlix »

SkepticalCat wrote:I thought this was a really good commentary about the cartoon controversy; it made me re-think my position on the publishing of the cartoons:

I think Gleen Greenwald never read Charlie Hebdo. The passage about them supposedly not criticizing Israel or Jews ( :roll: ) gives it away.

Yet he decided to pull stuff out of his arse to piss on the graves of people who aren't even buried yet.

I didn't change my mind about the cartoons, but I certainly made my mind about Greenwald.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Fuck it. I'm only posting interesting grabs and my wayback links

https://web.archive.org/web/20150109211 ... -violence/

piero

Post by piero »

deLurch wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote:If I were to say that one can reduce the odds of being killed from Muslim nut-jobs by not publishing certain cartoons, which side of the line would I be on? Or is this a case of the bodies not being cold enough to even ask this question?
Bodies are not even buried yet. More people died this morning during the man hunt. I am not saying that it isn't worthy of discussion. But I suspect the don't publish "certain" cartoon argument is going to go south extremely fast.
While it might be too soon, so maybe I should drop it, but I need to say that I was not headed towards telling anyone not to publish certain cartoons. At most, I was headed towards suggesting that, assuming that you know that publishing certain cartoons is risky, paralleling knowing that leaving your car unlocked is risky and getting drunk alone at a frat-party is risky, what is the correct label for the "responsibility" that this imposes on the actor? Maybe what I'm searching for is simply a new word.
There are, I think, important differences between exposing oneself to assault, robbery or rape and accepting the risks of defending a shared fundamental freedom. Someone walking at 3 am through some neighbourhoods is tempting fate in order to do whatt? Assert their personalfreedom to go anywhere they please? I doubt it. But even if that was their intention, if they get mugged or assaulted they will have been deprived of that freedom to the benefit of no-one. Criminality won't cease to exist because some people decide to defy it singlehandedly. Should criminality cease to exist? Of course, but contributing to bring about one more instance does not seem to be the best approach.

Freedom of speech, on the other hand, involves everyone. By publishing their cartoons, CH decided to accept the risks in order to make a statement: if society caves in to the demands of the lunatic du jour, what was the fucking point of the French revolution, the enlightenment, etc.?

Anoher difference: muggers and rapists are not defending a set of beliefs, and have no ideology; they act on their own behalf, trying to obtain what they want by illicit means. Nobody outside their families--perhaps--supports them. If they get caught, they land in jail. Religious fanatics, on the other hand, do have an ideology, a structure, an army and political leaders. Thus fighting against their fanaticism goes far beyond our personal freedom: at this time, we are indeed immersed in a war of cultures, and I don't want to lose it, for the sake of my descendants.

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

Tony! The Queer Shoop
9 January 2015 at 3:06 pm
David @344:
For the sake of argument, I prefer to think you’re just pretending not to see that Wahhabist Islam is more intolerant and violent than Unitarian-Universalist Christianity.
I didn’t know we were discussing specific strains of Christianity vs specific strains of Islam. Fuck.
I’ve had about enough for now. And I’ve got to go to work.
Ya’ll have fun dealing with the anti-Muslim bigots in this thread and those who think Islam is the Big Bad.
I've also run out of arguments.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Kirbmarc wrote:More from Tony! The Queer Shop:
Tony! The Queer Shop wrote:
“Religion of Peace,” my ass; Islam is the religion of ignorance and hate.
See, and this is where I start to wonder what biases and prejudices you have that lead you to think of Islam in this way. Islam is not the only religion with adherents who are hateful or ignorant. There are Christians who are hateful and ignorant. There are Christians who will use violence to achieve their goals. And just like Islam, there are those who condemn such horrible actions.
Islam has no unique claim to ignorance and hate. Stop trying to give it the World’s Worst Religion Award (or some warped version of Oppression Olympics), bc to do so, you have to ignore the harm done in the name of other religions
For any of the Pharyngulanas (in particular) floating about (so to speak) – speaking of which, great new fishie ’shop Jan – a quote from the Wikipedia article on Ayaan Hirsi Ali:
In a 2007 interview in the London Evening Standard,[16] Hirsi Ali characterized Islam as "the new fascism":

"Just like Nazism started with Hitler's vision, the Islamic vision is a caliphate — a society ruled by Sharia law – in which women who have sex before marriage are stoned to death, homosexuals are beaten, and apostates like me are killed. Sharia law is as inimical to liberal democracy as Nazism." In this interview, she said, "Violence is inherent in Islam – it's a destructive, nihilistic cult of death. It legitimates murder."

smoothmedia

Post by smoothmedia »

Ophelia Benson is one of the few at FTB who understands that Charlie Hebdo is NOT a racist/misogynist publication, and is valiantly trying to combat the ignorance of FTB commenters.

Credit where credit is due.

Cunt of Personality

Post by Cunt of Personality »

PZ Myers and his wackaloon commentariat understand, very profoundly, the history of French satire, comedy, politics and culture. This is an fact. QED.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

smoothmedia wrote:Ophelia Benson is one of the few at FTB who understands that Charlie Hebdo is NOT a racist/misogynist publication, and is valiantly trying to combat the ignorance of FTB commenters.

Credit where credit is due.
Yes, quite agree. A few of her recent posts which include several guest posts by a Pharyngula regular, Salty Current:

"FTB //freethoughtblogs.com/butterfliesandwheels/2015/01/anti-racism-and-a-passion-for-equality-among-all-people-are-and-continue-to-be-the-founding-principles-of-charlie-hebdo/"

"FTB freethoughtblogs.com/butterfliesandwheels/2015/01/je-ne-suis-pas-charlie/"

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Cunt of Personality wrote:PZ Myers and his wackaloon commentariat understand, very profoundly, the history of French satire, comedy, politics and culture. This is an fact. QED.
They don't even understand the hisdtory of pZ Myers. I've been posting direct quotes from Myers who have been called the work of an Islamophobic troll.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

NoGodsEver wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:There is a mild doxxing scandal over at the John Nyzell FtB thread. He's named Marilove. I don't know whether it counts as a dox, given Marilove guest posted on Skepchick linking the names and does so on FB as well.

Giliell has fired off a mod alert and no-one else has batted an eyelid so probable storm in a teacup.

But it was a weird escalation of sorts.
Um, her username links to her Facebook page, which has her (presumably) real name on it. In what universe is it doxing to refer to her with that name?
She obviously wants to operate in SJW mode via nym. Most of the time.

It gets confusing as at some point this is an argument that breaks down. I'm just not sure when. :doh:

piero

Post by piero »

[snip]

I think it was utter crap. Comparing a cartoon of Muhammad with a cartoon of a greedy Jew is unfair and stupid.

smoothmedia

Post by smoothmedia »

From Ophelia.

abbeycadabra says
It’s too bad he’s no longer available. I for one would be FASCINATED to hear from this middle-class white gentleman how the CH cover depicting Boko Haram’s sex slaves – victims – as toothless shrieking welfare queens was Not Racist.
This thread has an attempt to defend it: (Link)
I read a few such defenses, and every one of them takes the tack that CH mocks everyone and/or “actually has far-left pro-immigration policies”. “They aren’t ALWAYS racist” and “They support immigration!” are neither arguments against instances of racism, nor do they excuse things like that victim-mocking cover.
Ophelia Benson says
That cover was a riposte to the right-wing and racist depiction of refugees as “welfare-queens.”
And do not sneer at the murdered editor of CH as “this middle-class white gentleman.”
abbeycadabra says
Did he somehow retroactively become not a middle-class white gentleman because he was brutally and tragically murdered?
Ophelia Benson says
Of course he fucking didn’t, which has nothing to do with the fact that I don’t need you sneering at him for it on my blog.

Really?

Post by Really? »

http://i.imgur.com/b9jA7I9.jpg

Yeah, PZ, stop being such an asshole!

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

NoGodsEver

Post by NoGodsEver »

Kirbmarc wrote:Are there more relevant Peezus quotes? (Possibly from a different post?)
Bravo, you mad genius. LOLLAMF. :clap:

John D

Post by John D »

Well.... where do I start.

I agree that there is a more significant uproar over the Hebdo attack than other similar acts. For example, how many people marched in protest when Larry Flint, the publisher of Hustler magazine, was attacked and turned into a paraplegic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Flynt

But, there where many people and many journalists that did come out and say that, while they found Hustler to be offensive, they defended Flints right to publish. Some Christians thought "He had it coming", but in the end, the idea of free speech won the day.

Of course, there will not be a million people protesting to protect Flint's rights. The support of porn may always be tepid at best. The reason that so many people are supporting Hebdo is that millions of civilized people, who live if free democracies, understand the threat of totalitarian Islam. The threat from these barbarians is a real and significant threat to world peace. If you can't see this then I think you are blind in some strange way.

Indeed, Israel and the US and other countries can be vile, violent, and wrong in their actions. The big difference is that these countries accept they the can be openly criticized. It is through this criticism that things improve. Muslims do not accept they they can be criticized. It is a mortal sin punishable by death to criticize them. It is a truly vile and sinister situation.

and, while it may look like the Muslims are just complaining about "obscene" and "rude" criticism, this is not the case. Muslims complain about any criticism of them and they act like they deserve special exemption. Part of the reason things are so troublesome in Europe is that non-Muslim apologists have caved into some of Islams crude and barbaric demands. Demands for use of Sharia law in some cases. This is a real horror in my opinion.... and people are sick of it.

One unfortunate backlash from this is that it will give the extreme right more power... and their ideas are just as crazy as the Muslim ideas. It will be interesting to watch and there will be much more trouble ahead.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Fishies!

Also, it's good to see Ophelia Benson acknowledging the magicity of intent.

piero

Post by piero »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Cunt of Personality wrote:PZ Myers and his wackaloon commentariat understand, very profoundly, the history of French satire, comedy, politics and culture. This is an fact. QED.
They don't even understand the hisdtory of pZ Myers. I've been posting direct quotes from Myers who have been called the work of an Islamophobic troll.
(Just in case some of the FTB lurkers are heard of hearing).

Really?

Post by Really? »

I wonder what Peezus is going to say when he figures it out. He can't tell the Horde that the quotes are his...too many people have said unpleasant things about him.

https://web.archive.org/web/20150109213 ... -violence/

Aneris

Operation: Avicenna

Post by Aneris »

:laughing-rollingyellow:

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Shatterface as Guest wrote:Kenan Malik:
What nurtures the reactionaries, both within Muslim communities and outside it, is the pusillanimity of many so-called liberals, their unwillingness to stand up for basic liberal principles, their readiness to betray the progressives within minority communities. On the one hand, this allows Muslim extremists the room to operate. The more that society gives licence for people to be offended, the more that people will seize the opportunity to feel offended. And the more deadly they will become in expressing their outrage. There will always be extremists who respond as the Charlie Hebdo killers did. The real problem is that their actions are given a spurious moral legitimacy by liberals who proclaim it unacceptable to give offence.
Worth reading the rest.

//kenanmalik.wordpress.com/2015/01/08/je-suis-charlie-its-a-bit-late/
Indeed. Something from it that many SJWs might want to reflect on in some depth:
Malik wrote:There will always be extremists who respond as the Charlie Hebdo killers did. The real problem is that their actions are given a spurious moral legitimacy by liberals who proclaim it unacceptable to give offence.

Cunt of Personality

Is intent magic now? I can't keep track. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isnt.

"If I had a blog, I'd blog all day and nobody would have a fucking clue what I was trying to say."
-- Ophelia Myers

piero

Post by piero »

"Hard"of hearing. Fuck!

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

They're ignoring Myers now. I need new material, but all the other posts from Peezus about Islam are either shorter than Ophelia Benson's original content or about Muslim creationism.

T Rekt

Post by T Rekt »

New here (more or less).

I've never been so happy reading PZ's blog. Good work!

T Rekt

Post by T Rekt »

New here (more or less).

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Really? wrote:I wonder what Peezus is going to say when he figures it out. He can't tell the Horde that the quotes are his...too many people have said unpleasant things about him.

https://web.archive.org/web/20150109213 ... -violence/
Two things:

1) A couple of years ago, this kind of thread on Meyers's blog would have been at 1,500 comments by now, instead of the 370 it has.

2) Many of the comments would be by new commenters who had found Meyers's blog through search engines/links from other sites. And Meyers would be twirling across the battlefireld, like a hippo in a tutu, with the banhammer swinging around at knee level to smite the unbelievers. Not one comment by Meyers himself on this. He is a chicken shit piece of garbage, inciting hatred and malice from the comfort of his tenured chair.

Shatterface as Guest

Post by Shatterface as Guest »

Kirbmarc wrote:They're ignoring Myers now. I need new material, but all the other posts from Peezus about Islam are either shorter than Ophelia Benson's original content or about Muslim creationism.
I wonder if you could quote Tony! back at himself?

Shatterface

Really?

Post by Really? »

Kirbmarc wrote:They're ignoring Myers now. I need new material, but all the other posts from Peezus about Islam are either shorter than Ophelia Benson's original content or about Muslim creationism.
Anything here?

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=us

Git

Post by Git »

Welcome. Others will give the traditional welcome.

Here are some welcome lynx for you to peruse.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... adesis.jpg

Cunt of Personality

T Rekt wrote:New here (more or less).

First post is a double post. Legendary. You'll fit right in here.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Wait, PZ...Islam is not a race? But there's so much racism going on.

ANd yes, by all means, pop in Shoop's own words.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

I have a hand grenade. A post by PZ Myers which contains a joke that the SJWs could find racist:
I am infested with the fleas of a thousand camels. One unfortunate side-effect of this trip to Ireland and the UK is that I have publicly engaged with Muslim creationists — there’s a bit of a dearth of them in Morris, Minnesota, and the few Muslims I have met there are there for the university, and are educated and intelligent — but now I’m on their radar, and my inbox has a new, exotic stench to it.
I'm thinking about posting it but I want to make it less recognizable. If I'll post it, I'm going to change "this trip to Ireland and the UK" with "commenting on the Internet about atheism" and "Morris, Minnesota" with "where I live" to make it a little harder for the Pharyngulites to figure out where the quote comes from.

Should I post the altered comment? It preserves the spirit of Myers' post, but I'm a little wary about changing a single word of his posts, because it could be said that I'm maliciously misquoting Myers (which isn't my intent).

What do you think?

John D

Post by John D »

T Rekt wrote:New here (more or less).

Welcome... and... fuck you and your tiny arms!
fc,220x200,grass_green.u2.jpg
(10.57 KiB) Downloaded 131 times

Really?

Post by Really? »

Kirbmarc wrote:I have a hand grenade. A post by PZ Myers which contains a joke that the SJWs could find racist:
I am infested with the fleas of a thousand camels. One unfortunate side-effect of this trip to Ireland and the UK is that I have publicly engaged with Muslim creationists — there’s a bit of a dearth of them in Morris, Minnesota, and the few Muslims I have met there are there for the university, and are educated and intelligent — but now I’m on their radar, and my inbox has a new, exotic stench to it.
I'm thinking about posting it but I want to make it less recognizable. If I'll post it, I'm going to change "this trip to Ireland and the UK" with "commenting on the Internet about atheism" and "Morris, Minnesota" with "where I live" to make it a little harder for the Pharyngulites to figure out where the quote comes from.

Should I post the altered comment? It preserves the spirit of Myers' post, but I'm a little wary about changing a single word of his posts, because it could be said that I'm maliciously misquoting Myers (which isn't my intent).

What do you think?
Easy peasy. Just pop in the ellipsis. It will look like emotion or just Internet talk, but it will do its normal job: abbreviating a quotation.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Did you capture our 'special' friend asking PZ when he went and made everyone Muhammad?

That seriously fucked me up.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

http://i.imgur.com/64IMgOc.jpg

Really?

Post by Really? »

Muslims in Saudi Arabia are building a giant clock that resembles Big Ben, but is over six times larger. They want to replace Greenwich Mean Time with Mecca Time as the world standard.
By the way, if you’re just laughing at those dumb Muslims, keep in mind that Christians look exactly the same to us atheists. Every one who thinks that the heavens proclaim their petty parochial deity’s glory…you’re just as wacky and blind as the desert misogynists throwing away their oil wealth on knick-knacks for Allah.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Have you used these? Make sure you don't use some twice. ;)

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2011 ... f-him-not/

We live in a world where some Catholics will froth at the mouth and send death-threats and call for people to be fired over insults to a scrap of magic, holy bread; we live in a world where some Muslims will kill random people if someone insults their magic, holy book.
http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2010 ... ect-is-no/

Informing me that the Muslims are genuinely and sincerely and deeply offended is not informative — contrary to the suggestion that I must have an empathy deficit to be unaware of that, I know that and appreciate the fact that their feelings are hurt and they are angry and outraged. My point is that I don’t care, and neither should anyone else.
Islam has been particularly petty and overly sensitive to these slights, and seem to be even more narrow and provincial than other religions in lacking any awareness of the fact that the majority of the people on the planet do not hold their beliefs in any great reverence, and that they don’t get to respond by demanding that we treat their superstitions as sacred.
Mentioning Pat Condell will nuke the comment section.

4!
http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2007 ... st-muslim/

That is genuinely disgraceful, that the idiots of Islam can rely on intimidation and fear to silence their critics. “Religion of Peace,” my ass; Islam is the religion of ignorance and hate. It seems entirely appropriate to turn things over to Pat Condell

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Kirbmarc's glory recorded for all time up to comment #370:

https://archive.today/AT2Ir

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

That thread even has some PZ doxxing hypocrisy thrown it.

What a box of chockies.

http://i.imgur.com/V15RFZ3.jpg

Really?

Post by Really? »

Really?

Post by Really? »

I love all of you. With all my heart.