piero

Re: How 'bout them Hawks!?

Post by piero »

Thanks for the info. Who is Sanderson?

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Jan Steen wrote:From the same thread...

Snip the horde cannibalising extravaganza.

"You are just like a pitter." "No, you are." "You said it first."
Are they a bunch of twelve-year-olds?

But it's good to see that our psyops are working. :twisted:
Pfft we don't need psyops. This incredibly self-destructive behaviour has been apparent from day one. I feel like a Roman pleb at a gladiatorial show, when they bring the Christians in. Scadenfreude courses through my veins.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

piero wrote:
Jan Steen wrote: It's amusing that both sides (SC + rorschach versus the rest) accuse each other of being just like the Slymepit.
Jan Steen wrote: "You are just like a pitter." "No, you are." "You said it first."
Are they a bunch of twelve-year-olds?
But... but... can't they see "being just like the Slymepit" is a good thing?
I don't know who they think slymepitters are. I saw Thundef00t being mentioned, but i've never seen him posting here. Is he registered?
Yeah, he used to post occasionally. Mainly links to his videos, and the odd bit of commentary.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Richard Sanderson had been very active on twitter, he documents much of the FtB madness very well. He is a bete noire to the pharyngulites as they can't actually peg him to the pit.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

piero wrote:Thanks for the info. Who is Sanderson?
Richard Sanderson. Anti-FTB activist, mainly on Twitter. Invented the #FTBullies hashtag.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Jan Steen wrote:
Richard Sanderson. Anti-FTB activist, mainly on Twitter. Invented the #FTBullies hashtag.

Sanderson is the one Avicenna decided to frame for that 'I-got-email' incident involving a mysterious email that falseley accused Avicenna of rape - an accusation that was a carbon copy of a hypothetical that Avicenna had written about on his blog just a few weeks beforehand. For some unexplained reason, Avicenna not only totally forgot about his previous post mentioning this hypothetical situation, but he said that he showed this email to his bosses in India and they promptly suspended him for two weeks while they investigated the situation.
Sanderson was given the blame for this by Avicenna for repeating something that oolon posted on Butterflies and Wheels - because he was the only one who mentioned the situation.
Apart from oolon.
Who you don't need to worry about because reasons.

Anyway the two week suspension caused him to fail his exams and forced him to work another six months in India to make up the lost marks.
Or something equally believable.

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

Cliché Guevara wrote:
HunnyBunny wrote:This Scott( Alexander) is the one whose quote PZ mis-attributed to Scott Aaronson. Hence Scott Alexander is a real shitlord, although PZ is playing dumb of the true extent of his shitlord-ness because it would mean correcting a mistake, whereas Aaronson (MIT) is merely a minor-mistaken-for-major shitlord. Hence this article would be satan-speak to any true SJW. Clear as mud.
Scott Alexander is also the guy who thoroughly took apart Zvan's "Why I Am Not a Rationalist" post from a couple months ago. If Peezy is playing dumb about who he is, it's probably just because Peezy is a coward who knows that his own incoherent, emotion-based blathering would be similarly dismantled should Alexander take notice of it.
Have you ever heard the saying about don't get into war of words with people who buy ink by the barrel?

In the modern-day internet age, it's don't get into wars of ideas with people who are really fucking powerful in creating/spreading ideas. It's not even that Alexander WANTS to be powerful, or thinks that he is... he just is.

BTW, if anybody has ever seen it, http://squid314.livejournal.com/327849.html is his as well.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

dogen wrote:Not sure whether this was posted last month, but it certainly slipped under my radar:
The enigma is complicated by the observation that it’s usually feminist activists who are most instrumental in taking these [rape] stories viral. It’s not some conspiracy of pro-rape journalists choosing the most dubious accusations in order to discredit public trust. It’s people specifically selecting these incidents as flagship cases for their campaign that rape victims need to be believed and trusted. So why are the most publicized cases so much more likely to be false than the almost-always-true average case?
[\quote]

Really great analysis, once again from Slate Star Codex:

http://slatestarcodex.com/2014/12/17/th ... a-of-rage/
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I had only read his long but cogent response to Comment 171 before this, but I see I have to read the whole blog now. I do like the two-stage meme idea—likening the US-jihadi interaction as a tit-for-tat behaviour that is analogous with a the two-stage life cycle of a parasite. A new way of understanding a problem can mean a new way of tackling it. Similarly the insight that the most dreadful sounding rape cases are the most likely to gain media attention, but also the most likely to be false is quite arresting. Finally, the positive feedback built into Tumblr (I'm too old to go there so I had no idea!) that guarantees minor items become feeding frenzies, thus garnering clicks and ad revenue is but ultimately dispiriting. Three good and thoughtful ideas in one essay! I get excited when learning from a good mind and I am hopeful there will be more. Thanks again.

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

FTBCon3 on Secular Cults.
FTBCon3.png
(298.8 KiB) Downloaded 244 times
Ryan Long's comment says it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm4SNcH1ak8

Shatterface as Guest

Post by Shatterface as Guest »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Jan Steen wrote:

Sanderson is the one Avicenna decided to frame for that 'I-got-email' incident involving a mysterious email that falseley accused Avicenna of rape - an accusation that was a carbon copy of a hypothetical that Avicenna had written about on his blog just a few weeks beforehand. For some unexplained reason, Avicenna not only totally forgot about his previous post mentioning this hypothetical situation, but he said that he showed this email to his bosses in India and they promptly suspended him for two weeks while they investigated the situation.
Sanderson was given the blame for this by Avicenna for repeating something that oolon posted on Butterflies and Wheels - because he was the only one who mentioned the situation.
Apart from oolon.

Anyway the two week suspension caused him to fail his exams and forced him to work another six months in India to make up the lost marks.
Or something equally believable.
But if he hadn't had to resist his exams he wouldn't have been able to perform those autopsies so Oolon did feminism a favour by spreading the rumours.

Also, he made a blind man walk and a man with no legs see again.

Shatterface

Shatterface as Guest

screwtape wrote:Thank you, thank you, thank you. I had only read his long but cogent response to Comment 171 before this, but I see I have to read the whole blog now. I do like the two-stage meme idea—likening the US-jihadi interaction as a tit-for-tat behaviour that is analogous with a the two-stage life cycle of a parasite. A new way of understanding a problem can mean a new way of tackling it. Similarly the insight that the most dreadful sounding rape cases are the most likely to gain media attention, but also the most likely to be false is quite arresting. Finally, the positive feedback built into Tumblr (I'm too old to go there so I had no idea!) that guarantees minor items become feeding frenzies, thus garnering clicks and ad revenue is but ultimately dispiriting. Three good and thoughtful ideas in one essay! I get excited when learning from a good mind and I am hopeful there will be more. Thanks again.
A meme is analogous to a gene rather than a parasite; I think Scott might have stumbled on something more analogous to the 'extended phenotype' - an extended memotype, maybe?

Anyway, another splendid article.

Shatterface

piero

Post by piero »

Jan Steen wrote: rorschach to Beatrice:
Yes I thought we had established that in the last 3 years. Which is why Gilliel’s comment is not a criticism, but a smear, throwing SC in with the likes of Sanderson, thunderf00t and Hoggle. And that is why I say for shame. The end does not justify the means. You want to win an internet discussion, sure, fine, but there are limits. At least that’s how I see it.
Sorry for asking who is or isn't a slymepitter: I only just remembered that I could check the list of registered users. In fact, I used it recently when I had enough of a certain Northern European character. I should be ashamed of myself but. being a slymepitter, I'm shameless.

Anyway, so Rorschach hasn't got a clue who the slymepitters are. Perhaps FtBers are not browsing the pit as assiduosly as we thought. A promotional campaign may be called for.

Wild Zontargs

Post by Wild Zontargs »

Karmakin wrote:BTW, if anybody has ever seen it, http://squid314.livejournal.com/327849.html is his as well.
He's got all sorts of gems on that old blog. He disappeared the Fourth Meditation on Creepiness (archive link) from that very sequence because it kicked off the precursor to the recent Two Scotts incident two years ago.

The Sixth Meditation on Superweapons also gets points on accurately predicting what the SJWs would do to all their "cishet white male allies" as soon as it became convenient.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Skep tickle wrote:
dogen wrote:Not sure whether this was posted last month, but it certainly slipped under my radar:
The enigma is complicated by the observation that it’s usually feminist activists who are most instrumental in taking these (rape) stories viral. It’s not some conspiracy of pro-rape journalists choosing the most dubious accusations in order to discredit public trust. It’s people specifically selecting these incidents as flagship cases for their campaign that rape victims need to be believed and trusted. So why are the most publicized cases so much more likely to be false than the almost-always-true average case?
Really great analysis, once again from Slate Star Codex:

http://slatestarcodex.com/2014/12/17/th ... a-of-rage/
Wow - he ties excellent observations from so many areas together, finding common themes. This must be one of the two Scott A's that I've seen people here saying FTBers don't like. (I know who the other one is, the guy at MIT.)

Speaking of false accusations: Hornbeck in his disjointed, overly rapid, overly data-laden but essentially unsourced (for the listener - I couldn't find the links to his references though he mentioned them as being linked somewhere), internally contradictory (in some places) talk Evidence-Based Feminism 2, quickly claimed (dropping quick mention of some study or studies) that false rape claims by women, though infrequent, have been found to be mostly explained by a couple of factors, including: that someone else pressured them into it (into reporting it? or into falsely reporting it? I didn't go back to check which he was claiming), or the claimant was child & didn't know what they were doing (I was unclear whether he intended to refer to girl children or all children there), or (he claimed, in very quick passing) possibly there may be higher rate of mental illness in women who make false rape claims, possibly, but that's not clear at all, so he quickly moved on.

When McDowell did his rape study (coming up with 45% false accusations) he noted striking differences in the patterns of the false accusation patterns and the successful/truthful accusations. And while there are a lot of them, the two most important are that (1) false accusations serve a different purpose than truthful accusations and are (2) generally not reported right away (can take days, weeks & months) and tend to come from family/friend pressure and are, surprisingly, frequently made by someone other than the alleged victim.

In fact, here are McDowell's words from an interview conducted shortly after a famous exoneration in which the victim recanted (Cathleen Crowell Webb).

<i>One of the features that we found to be common in false allegations is that they are rarely made initially to authorities. What usually happens is that a "victim" tells a relative or friend that she's been raped, and this third party will notify the authorities.</i>

And the reason she (Webb) did it:

<i>1977: In her testimony, she admitted to fabricating the charges in 1977 to cover up a possible pregnancy after having sexual relations with her boyfriend.</i>

See, it served a purpose. She'd thought she'd gotten pregnant by her boyfriend. She wanted to maintain HER reputation and not get her boyfriend in trouble. So she had a man wrongfully convicted for rape to explain away her problem.

Anyway, this is why the whole Shermer thing (and some other notable accusations) are not credible to me. Women who are raped, actually raped, (as a population) report the rape to the authorities first. They don't delay for days, weeks or months. They do it as close to the event as possible. And they do it on 'their own nickle' so to speak. And they generally have no underlying purpose (infidelity, an STD, a pregnancy) to explain away or (even worse) are not seeking gain/revenge.

piero

Post by piero »

Shatterface as Guest wrote: Also, he made a blind man walk and a man with no legs see again.

Shatterface
:lol:

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

@Tribble

There was an article in Slate about a young man who was falsely accused of rape and kicked out of college. Turns out, he had consensual sex with a girl, who later felt that she had to accuse him of rape, because mom read her diary, and the girl was worried about being thought of as a slut, so easy way out = accuse guy of rape.

So mom made the accusation on daughter's behalf.

What a shock.

WaxNapoleon

Post by WaxNapoleon »

Skep tickle wrote:rorschach added this:
Rorschach wrote:Might as well put that on Pharyngula's comment section's grave stone
One more body amongst foundations makes little difference.

http://i.imgur.com/hXDbdMf.jpg

piero

Post by piero »

Dick Strawkins wrote: [snip]
Apart from oolon.
Oh, I've met oolon and his formidable reasoning powers at Michael Nugent's.
I think we do need to worry about him; his mind viruses might be contagious.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Whoops! For some reason I was thinking in HTML this AM, not UBB... Erp...

dogen

Post by dogen »

Skep tickle wrote:All right. Thanks, dogen, for posting the latest link over to Slate Star Codex. I'm a fan now. I mean a fan of Slate Star Codex, but I can be your fan too if you like :)
Yay -- senpai noticed me!

But seriously, I'm reading one article after another on SSC and loving it.

Reap

Post by Reap »

Holy fuck this place is a hot mess...its a good thing I stopped by..who missed me? I need validation

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Hey reap you've been outed as a satanist....we were all mortified!
Welcome back old dude.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Jan Steen wrote:From the same thread...

SC said:
chigau, it’s pretty shitty to toss out unevidenced assertions about people that can lead readers to develop impressions of them, especially when they’re not around to set the record straight or defend themselves. It violates the standards of this blog and looks a lot like the behavior we condemn when pitters engage in it. We should be better than that.
Is there any standard? Particularly one concerning who you can attack, under which circumstances?

Thought not.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Reap wrote:Holy fuck this place is a hot mess...its a good thing I stopped by..who missed me? I need validation
Satanism is mentioned and then you are mentioned and then you turn up. Proof a god does exist (or Yahoo, it's optional)

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

I mean Google. I need more meds.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Caine once mentioned that Reap is an anagram of "rape", ergo, Reap is a rapist.

Stunning logic there Caine.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

nuts

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Darth Cynic wrote:
Shatterface as Guest wrote:
Gefan wrote:[youtube]S6HpvNvfWkc[/youtube]

RIP Edgar. I will always be grateful for your contributions to the greatest vampire film ever made (yes, even better than "Twilight" and "Billy the Kid and the Green Baize Vampire").
Can't believe Lost Boys beat Near Dark at the box office.

Lost Boys was just fuckin' Goonies with holy water.

Shatterface
Damn straight, whilst I liked both, Near Dark is to me the far and away better movie.

Tangerine Dream also done the music to The Keep, a not bad demonic horror set in Transylvania during WWII.
Parody Accountant wrote:15 seconds. jesus
The images on Youtube were a bad omen, then it started... think I managed about five seconds of the electronica dirge before I could make it stop.
Loved Near Dark, loved The Keep. The latter is not even listed on Netflix. WTF?

Love Tangerine Dream. Would watch shit movies on HBO twice just to hear their soundtrack again.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

*patiently waits for someone to post a pic of squirrel nuts or something*

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

I saw The Keep when I was a kid. Scared the bejesus out of me.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

I also saw "das boot" as a child.

What kind of sadist subjects a kid to that? I hadn't a clue what was going on, just that it made me simultaneously bored yet anxious.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Please explain this Google Correlation in manifold and entertaining ways:

http://www.google.com/trends/correlate/ ... scatter,10

I haven't even bothered to research the plot concerned, or indeed the panhandle (simply hoping it involves none of my much loved and oft-used pans). Does this come under "damn' lies"?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-01-25 at 12.25.52 PM.png
(92.57 KiB) Downloaded 210 times

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Za-zen wrote:nuts
Are you having a battle with your burge?

Git

Post by Git »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Loved Near Dark, loved The Keep. The latter is not even listed on Netflix. WTF?

Love Tangerine Dream. Would watch shit movies on HBO twice just to hear their soundtrack again.
Its never been really officially released for some reason (apart from laserdisc and limited VHS). There are torrents of the laserdisc version floating about the internet. Obvious disclaimers apply.

I found the soundtrack (and the super-duper extended very rare version) too a while back on the internet. *ahem*

feathers

Post by feathers »

another lurker wrote:I also saw "das boot" as a child.

What kind of sadist subjects a kid to that? I hadn't a clue what was going on, just that it made me simultaneously bored yet anxious.
Tip: don't volunteer for the Kriegsmarine.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Reap wrote:Holy fuck this place is a hot mess...its a good thing I stopped by..who missed me? I need validation
Are you Stihl or are you Husqui?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

feathers wrote:

The original German TV mini-series is now available, and thankfully in German w/ subtitles, not the painfully bad dubbed version.

Cliché Guevara

Post by Cliché Guevara »

http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=6642
This is why, for example, I basically disengage from anyone who uses the phrase “white privilege” or the term “patriarchy”. There is a possible world in which these might be useful terms of discussion, but if that were ever our universe it has long since ceased to be. Now what they mean is “I am about to attempt to bully you into submission using kafkatraps and your own sense of decency as a club”.

I think it is pretty clear what this implies for the defense of hacker culture and what maradydd calls “weird nerds”. I haven’t been paying much attention myself, but I don’t doubt maradydd when she asserts that the SJWs would like to colonize us and make us over into another hell-pit of identity politics and competitive grievance-mongering.

Where I differ with maradydd is that I think it is doomed to try fending the SJWs off using their own jargon. We have a better place to stand. Here it is: Shut up and show us the code.

You want to make a point about women or minorities in hacker culture? OK, where is your commit history? What open source have you hacked on? Where are your Arduino and Thingiverse designs? Are you running any development projects yourself? What do you bring us that isn’t monkey screaming? Why should we care what you think?

And if the answer is “Justice!”, then our reply has to be this: The code is its own justice. No compiler or network stack or 3-D printer gives a crap about the shape of your genitals or the color of your skin, and hackers as a culture don’t either.

If you want to make the hacker culture and the civilization it serves a better place, welcome. There’s plenty of work to go around. But leave your jargon and your guilt-tripping and your bullying and your special pleading and your monkey rage at the door, because about those we determinedly refuse to give a shit.

UPDATE: maradydd informs me by email that since writing those articles she has arrived at a “Shut up and show them the code” position essentially identical to mine.

Reap

Post by Reap »

Good to see familiar faces...sorry I havent been around." There are other worlds than this" you know. A pentagram button for anyone who knows the quote

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

@Reap

Stephen King - Dark Tower 1: The Gunslinger

Right?

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Yay, Reap has returned! One of the few fuckers on here I wouldn't avoid like the plague in real life.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

bhoytony wrote:Yay, Reap has returned! One of the few fuckers on here I wouldn't avoid like the plague in real life.

Jesper is the other fucker, right?

Walter Ego

Post by Walter Ego »

Sorry to hear about your financial problems last year. I hope everything is going better for you now. Do you still have all the Angry Atheist podcast files? There are some with notable pitters I'd like to listen to listen to again, if only to remind myself that there are real people behind the screen names.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

feathers wrote:

Why??

Because I'm wymyn????

Shatterface as Guest

Reap wrote:Good to see familiar faces...sorry I havent been around." There are other worlds than this" you know. A pentagram button for anyone who knows the quote
http://www.tattooshunt.com/images/14/go ... n-back.jpg

Shatterface

feathers

Post by feathers »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:The original German TV mini-series is now available, and thankfully in German w/ subtitles, not the painfully bad dubbed version.
Why of course, it is about Germans with subs.

:rimshot:

Walter Ego

Post by Walter Ego »

another lurker wrote:
bhoytony wrote:Yay, Reap has returned! One of the few fuckers on here I wouldn't avoid like the plague in real life.

Jesper is the other fucker, right?
No, that would be me.

feathers

Post by feathers »

another lurker wrote:
feathers wrote:

Why??

Because I'm wymyn????
No, because those jerries in their tin cans probably were "bored, yet anxious".
Unless you liked the sensation, of course.

(And I don't think they'd have allowed you, at the time.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

I actually studied the submarine wars of ww2 pretty seriously for a while. Das boot is based on a real boat and a real captain. The crazy thing...Jurgen Prochnow is a dead ringer for the real life sub captain.

Also, spending months at sea like that, never washing, sitting around in 30c heat (or hotter) and having to eliminate bodily waste in barrels if you are the target of depth charges over a period of hours or days...no thanks.(as trash cannot safely be ejected in such a situation).

However, at least, if a depth charge did hit, you would probably be instantly crushed from the pressure.

Git

Post by Git »

feathers wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:The original German TV mini-series is now available, and thankfully in German w/ subtitles, not the painfully bad dubbed version.
Why of course, it is about Germans with subs.
http://www.thedrum.com/uploads/drum_bas ... Mosley.jpg

Git

Post by Git »

another lurker wrote:However, at least, if a depth charge did hit, you would probably be instantly crushed from the pressure.
Tales from the Porcelain Throne the morning after a night on the cider?

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Git wrote:
another lurker wrote:However, at least, if a depth charge did hit, you would probably be instantly crushed from the pressure.
Tales from the Porcelain Throne the morning after a night on the cider?

FT's dumps are devastating, or so I've heard.

Reap

Post by Reap »

Tigzy wrote:@Reap

Stephen King - Dark Tower 1: The Gunslinger

Right?
WIN! The dark lord smiles...or something equally dramatic

Southern

Post by Southern »

Begone, spawn of Satan!

EXORCIZO te, immundíssime spíritus, omnis incúrsio adversárii, omne phantasma, omnis légio, in nómine Dómini nostri Jesu Christi eradicáre, et effugáre ab hoc plásmate Dei!

Something, something, Leonard Bernstein. Amen

Reap

Post by Reap »

Walter Ego wrote:
Sorry to hear about your financial problems last year. I hope everything is going better for you now. Do you still have all the Angry Atheist podcast files? There are some with notable pitters I'd like to listen to listen to again, if only to remind myself that there are real people behind the screen names.
I have all the files. Soon as I get done dealing with satanic ritual amimal abusers in Detroit ill be getting a real job to get the site back up. In the meantime ive been doing this http://modernsatanism.net dont knock til you try it.

Git

Post by Git »

Southern wrote:
Begone, spawn of Satan!

EXORCIZO te, immundíssime spíritus, omnis incúrsio adversárii, omne phantasma, omnis légio, in nómine Dómini nostri Jesu Christi eradicáre, et effugáre ab hoc plásmate Dei!

Something, something, Leonard Bernstein. Amen
APO PANTOS KAKODAIMONOS!

Walter Ego

Post by Walter Ego »

This one's going live in a few minutes.

FtBCon3: Digital Self-Defense

Scheduled for Jan 25, 2015

Experts in various fields related to technology and intellectual property come together to discuss the art of self-defense on the internet. How do you protect yourself online from all manners of attack, be they hacks or legal threats?

Panelists: Neil Wehneman, Tim Farley, Jason Thibeault, Leigh Honeywell, Ben Blanchard

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

I think this may have been posted before but it's definitely worth a look. It's the article that prompted the previous article Cliche posted above.
https://medium.com/@maradydd/okay-femin ... 6321c66b37

Cliché Guevara

Post by Cliché Guevara »

I knew some Satanists back in the day who urged me to read the Satanic Bible. Objectivism in a Halloween costume.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

An excerpt from The Keep:
[youtube]https://r3F9cpL-a6A[/youtube]