Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
SoylentAtheist

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by SoylentAtheist »

Gefan wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:Heh, heh. Ol' Neccers is PMing me knuckle/teeth threats now :lol: :lol: :lol:
I honestly don't understand the entire concept of threats.
Intimidation.
Gefan wrote:If I intend a hostile act against someone, the last thing I want is for them to know it's coming.
That is assuming you are a sane person who hopes to get away with it... People with mental problems, not so much.

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

Gefan wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:Heh, heh. Ol' Neccers is PMing me knuckle/teeth threats now :lol: :lol: :lol:
I honestly don't understand the entire concept of threats. If I intend a hostile act against someone, the last thing I want is for them to know it's coming.
Be very afraid. Here is the latest footage of Sir Nec in action.

[youtube]zKhEw7nD9C4[/youtube]

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

SoylentAtheist wrote: I haven't read her Thorn Birds book, however, I do have to say the first 3 books in her Masters of Rome series are excellent.
The First Man in Rome, The Grass Crown & Fortune's Favourites

Getting through the first few chapters of First Man in Rome is going to be rough, it kept on putting me to sleep. She goes all boring ass Tolken/Biblical in recounting all of the historical connections in exhausting detail. But after that the story flows and is well worth getting over that initial hump

I can't say much about the rest of her series as I haven't read it. I didn't know she had more books in that series until just now. Looks like I have a few more books for my to do list.
I had not read anything by her since Thornbirds and I had no plans to do till I read this by Razib Khan over at Gene Expression.

Now, if you are in any wise familiar with Razib Khan what follows is his version of enthusiastic approval and high praise. So the Rome series is on my list now:

http://www.unz.com/gnxp/colleen-mccullough-r-i-p/
I was aware that Colleen McCullough was ill, so sadly it is no surprise that she has died.

To many McCullough is known for her Masters of Rome series. I particularly think that the first two books in the series, The First Man in Rome and Grass Crown were exceptional. The later novels cover the career of Julius Caesar and his heirs (both Augustus and Antony), which are rather well known to us. In contrast the life and times of Gaius Marius and Lucius Cornelius Sulla are not familiar to many modern people. In fact it is likely that their names would not ring a bell with the vast majority of people due to the decline of the classical education (which was the province of a narrow elite in any case when it was in vogue). But these were significant figures in their time whose influence echoes down the generations. For example, the Marian reforms depicted in The First Man in Rome arguably laid the foundations for the professional Roman legions which were to serve as the basis for the empire of the first few centuries A.D. Caesar nailed the republic’s coffin, but Marius built up much of its superstructure, making the armies loyal to their generals by opening up recruitment to those without other means of support. And Julius Caesar is a less surprising character if you are aware of the precedent of Sulla, whose vicious dictatorship he managed to evade.

Finally, of the peculiar things I recall about Colleen McCullough is that she wrote her massive novels in longhand (or at least her first few ones).
P.S.
Be very careful if you ever decide to comment over at GNXP. He is quick to declare you a moron and ban you with extreme prejudice if you betray any ignorance about the subject you comment on.

(No he has never banned me but I hardly ever comment)

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Gefan wrote:
I honestly don't understand the entire concept of threats. If I intend a hostile act against someone, the last thing I want is for them to know it's coming.
Must be rutting season, and one of them (at least) is in musth.

SoylentAtheist

Post by SoylentAtheist »

Aneris wrote:On “Fat Shaming”
[youtube]dUCvFGFWDe4[/youtube]

I like the channel in general, and the idea in particular: it's diverse commentary on random subjects where each person does a video for each weekday.

I don't really care about the subject itself, but saw it in discussion and like Peach's take on it. Obesity won't become cool very soon, so I think there are more interesting things than engaging in a trench war that moves the acceptance of obesity an inch in one or the other direction.
But isn't that essentially just ignoring the big white elephant in the room?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Really? wrote: YES! Please discuss this in-depth. And in a Romanian accent. (Don't ask.)
Are you another Christina Rad victim?

I have watched several of her videos and have absolutely no memory of what she said in them. In my entire life this is the 2nd woman to have had that effect on me.

I used to dread going into meetings with the 1st one because I would wind up with a raging boner and no idea what was said by anyone in the meeting after it was over.

What I do find curious is that there is absolutely no similarities between the two. No accounting for taste I suppose?

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

On that other subject here is an atheist channel you might want to also watch for educational purposes, too.

[youtube]Z5QUsoA5Y40[/youtube]

Renee isn't as argumentative in the other videos, but it's her introduction. It's a nice channel actually and she gets bonus points for being in Germany! Since we had the topic of death of close beloved ones before, she has that in common as well. Check out what she has to say...

I've suggested many lesser knowns by now, and compiled many suggestions here... so newcomers may want have a look...

http://i.imgur.com/xTMwEo7.jpg

SoylentAtheist

Post by SoylentAtheist »

AndrewV69 wrote:I had not read anything by her since Thornbirds and I had no plans to do till I read this by Razib Khan over at Gene Expression.

Now, if you are in any wise familiar with Razib Khan what follows is his version of enthusiastic approval and high praise. So the Rome series is on my list now:

I was aware that Colleen McCullough was ill, so sadly it is no surprise that she has died.

To many McCullough is known for her Masters of Rome series. I particularly think that the first two books in the series, The First Man in Rome and Grass Crown were exceptional. The later novels cover the career of Julius Caesar and his heirs (both Augustus and Antony), which are rather well known to us. In contrast the life and times of Gaius Marius and Lucius Cornelius Sulla are not familiar to many modern people. In fact it is likely that their names would not ring a bell with the vast majority of people due to the decline of the classical education (which was the province of a narrow elite in any case when it was in vogue). But these were significant figures in their time whose influence echoes down the generations. For example, the Marian reforms depicted in The First Man in Rome arguably laid the foundations for the professional Roman legions which were to serve as the basis for the empire of the first few centuries A.D. Caesar nailed the republic’s coffin, but Marius built up much of its superstructure, making the armies loyal to their generals by opening up recruitment to those without other means of support. And Julius Caesar is a less surprising character if you are aware of the precedent of Sulla, whose vicious dictatorship he managed to evade.

Finally, of the peculiar things I recall about Colleen McCullough is that she wrote her massive novels in longhand (or at least her first few ones).
P.S.
Be very careful if you ever decide to comment over at GNXP. He is quick to declare you a moron and ban you with extreme prejudice if you betray any ignorance about the subject you comment on.

Just be forewarned about her book. I would classify them more as historical fiction. She takes real people and occurrences, and then weaves stories to flesh out the history by humanizing these figures. I consider this type of work fair enough if you accept it for what it is.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Oh and the 1st woman? You could not even say she was begging for it.

She used to wear very conservative business skirts down to her knees & jacket over a blouse that buttoned up to the neck. No cleavage on display, no jewelry at all except for a wedding ring, and all she ever did with her hair was to blow dry it.

And yet my brains fell out every time I saw her.

SoylentAtheist

Post by SoylentAtheist »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Really? wrote: YES! Please discuss this in-depth. And in a Romanian accent. (Don't ask.)

I have watched several of her videos and have absolutely no memory of what she said in them.
I enjoy watching Christina Rad videos, however she doesn't really say much that I consider memorial. She is primarily preaching to the choir. I can't say I ever learned anything new by watching her stuff, so I don't watch them until someone points a significant one out to me.

Life is too short to sit around listening to people telling me things I want to hear.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

AndrewV69 wrote:
SoylentAtheist wrote: I haven't read her Thorn Birds book, however, I do have to say the first 3 books in her Masters of Rome series are excellent.
The First Man in Rome, The Grass Crown & Fortune's Favourites .....
I had not read anything by her since Thornbirds and I had no plans to do till I read this by Razib Khan over at Gene Expression.

<snip>
P.S.

Clever fellow though I suggested (Post #11826) earlier that he might be the soul-mate for Dr. Carrier, even if not an intellectual one:
Khan wrote:Addendum: And in the interest of frankness, I will also admit that though comments can be highly informative, I don’t listen closely when someone decides to lecture me on the nature of religion because it is rare than I encounter anyone with as much breadth of knowledge as me in this domain (i.e., I have read economic, sociobiological, cognitive, and historical models of religion). If I seem to dismiss your opinion, that’s probably because I don’t think much of your ideas because you likely know far less than I do.
But how you been? Haven't seen you about much - a few comments on Twitter as I recollect.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

AndrewV69 wrote:Oh and the 1st woman? You could not even say she was begging for it.

<snip>
Are you suggesting the 2nd woman is/was "begging for it"? :(

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

SoylentAtheist wrote: Just be forewarned about her book. I would classify them more as historical fiction. She takes real people and occurrences, and then weaves stories to flesh out the history by humanizing these figures. I consider this type of work fair enough if you accept it for what it is.
Noted.

However, you are talking to someone who has read and enjoyed the following by Jean Auel
The Clan of the Cave Bear, 1980
The Valley of Horses, 1982
The Mammoth Hunters, 1985
The Plains of Passage, 1990

And one day I no doubt will read these also:
The Shelters of Stone, 2002
The Land of Painted Caves, 2011

By contrast I never got beyond Vol 1 of The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire and the complete set in dead tree format was in the library at home along with other classics.

I absolutely devoured Chaucer and Shakespere written in middle english. But Gibbon? Not so much.

Anyway I do have have high expectations of the Rome series and as a matter of fact acquired them a couple of days ago. As a matter of fact right after this I am going to peek at the first one right now.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Steersman wrote:But how you been? Haven't seen you about much - a few comments on Twitter as I recollect.
Fine thanks. But RL has been keeping me busy lately.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Really? really wrote:
Really? (as attributed by Lsuoma) wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny (as attributed by Lsuoma) wrote: Well, the breast implants probably help.
Oh, appearance-shaming! While I never! (or is there some reliable way to tell without feeling them?)
YES! Please discuss this in-depth. And in a Romanian accent. (Don't ask.)
Lsuoma wrote:This may be (==is) TMI,

<snip TMI>
It must still be an addling memory - you attributed a quote of mine to CaptainFluffyBunny. Hopefully that was purely accidental, I hear the guy who runs this place is a stickler about people posting here changing other posters' quotes. :whistle:

Re breast implants - of course one can't tell for sure without closer inspection, but I've seen (& examined) many over the years and the swimsuit cover model has the symmetric at-least-half-spherical shape that's typically seen with implants. The 2nd photo - the selfie (by/of Lauren Victoria Hanley, I think) – could well be natural.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Skep tickle wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:Oh and the 1st woman? You could not even say she was begging for it.

<snip>
Are you suggesting the 2nd woman is/was "begging for it"? :(
Awww no. I think I asumed that everyone has seen at least one of her videos. As I recall there are no skimpy tops or anything likely to set off the rape switch for which we (males) are notorious for.

Whereas, no one here to the best of my knowledge except for me has ever seen Number One (the cause of many a ruined kilt and sporran)

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Aneris wrote:On “Fat Shaming”
[youtube]dUCvFGFWDe4[/youtube]

I like the channel in general, and the idea in particular: it's diverse commentary on random subjects where each person does a video for each weekday.

I don't really care about the subject itself, but saw it in discussion and like Peach's take on it. Obesity won't become cool very soon, so I think there are more interesting things than engaging in a trench war that moves the acceptance of obesity an inch in one or the other direction.
That conversation is already happening and those in the fat activists are working tirelessly as part of their SJW activism to push obesity many 'feet' over in the direction of "completely acceptable at all times, and something we should totes take your tax money for."

But you're certainly entitled to not care about the conversation or not share my opinion on it. I have to disagree also about obesity not becoming cool. It'll never be cool in maybe the way you mean, but it's certainly becoming more acceptable and increasing a number of related costs.

I think it's fair to take the prevalence of morbid obesity as a total package. It's not any one thing, but everything together that creates so much obesity and then attempts to rationalize it. There's a processed food industry with power and influence in US politics and public policy that you non-Americans can't even begin to imagine. Advertisers are allowed to direct-market to children as much as they wish. Food manufacturers are permitted to lie on their packaging as long as they don't lie in specific areas (IE the nutritional information itself.) Companies are allowed to sell many unhealthy products as if they were healthy. Fast food and restaurants are not required to list either the calorie information or the nutritional information (ingredients list) of their products, although many choose to do so on their websites.

Then there are issues of personal responsibility, which is where I think HAES and the related messaging ties in with SJWism. Seems like many people today are unwilling to ever admit that their poor results are the result of poor choices they made. In the search for an invisible oppressor, I've seen obese fat activists blame a vast conspiracy of doctors, diet industry, fat-shaming Hollywood and the US government itself. :D

If you want to read something horrifying, take some time to look up nurses who receive permanent crippling injuries from having to move 500-pound patients, who are much more common than they were 50 years ago.

Anyway, I'll leave off now, but to me, this issue of fat activism and HAES is every bit as much junk science propaganda as people preaching Creationism or claiming that all men are potential rapists.

Snapfingers

Re: How 'bout them Hawks!?

Post by Snapfingers »

Nec_V20 wrote:
My mother had something akin to that. She had brought her car in for a service and when she picked it up, when she was taking a curve one of her wheels flew off and she ended up in a crash.
Sorry to hear that. Did she survive?

Snapfingers

Post by Snapfingers »

PZ Myers on the Paul Elam forgery:
Since Elam has explicitly denied making that comment, and since it does look as if it was faked, I am now tracking down my correspondent and will give them a chance to explain themselves…and will post something later, whether they reply or not.
He has "correspondents"? Sorry, is that a normal term to use for somebody who sent him a smear? Isn't that a word used for a journalist or reporter that is tasked to send reports typically from abroad?
He seems to be using it as "someone he corresponds with".

"Give them a chance to explain themselves". The plural? The plot thickens. The thinly veiled threat "give them a chance..." sounds like we're in for a good ole lynching doxxing.

I think this needs to go before the FTB executive committee.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Snapfingers wrote:PZ Myers on the Paul Elam forgery:
Since Elam has explicitly denied making that comment, and since it does look as if it was faked, I am now tracking down my correspondent and will give them a chance to explain themselves…and will post something later, whether they reply or not.
He has "correspondents"? Sorry, is that a normal term to use for somebody who sent him a smear? Isn't that a word used for a journalist or reporter that is tasked to send reports typically from abroad?
He seems to be using it as "someone he corresponds with".

"Give them a chance to explain themselves". The plural? The plot thickens. The thinly veiled threat "give them a chance..." sounds like we're in for a good ole lynching doxxing.

I think this needs to go before the FTB executive committee.
This is hardly the first time he's been taken in by false quote attributed to his opponents. I recall a similar situation involving a false statement attributed to 'The Amazing Atheist' about a year ago.
The ethical thing to do in these situations is to remove the post and apologise to the target of the smear, and, of course, make sure you take care not to fall for the same thing again and again.
Myers doesn't seem to realize this - he regards the fact that someone sent him an untruthful is actually an offense againt HIM rather than the actual target of the smear.

All this is really showing is that Myers is a third rate incompetent hack.
Even if we disregard his unethical responses to be shown to be publishing lies, we can see the glaringly obvious point that he is avoiding even the appearance of fact-checking whenever he gets sent something negative about his opponents.
This is an important point.
His main beef with the online atheist/skeptic community is that they don't take his accusations seriously.
But in order for you to take an accusation seriously there needs to be a way to distinguish genuine accusations from lies - and Myers has repeatedly shown he doesn't know how to do that - other than the application of SJW Rule 1:
'It's OK When We Do It'

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Lsuoma wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:
Also:

Dr Professor Dr Dr Avicenna was exposed as a fantasist and plagiarist in seven different languages.

PZ Myers accused Michael Nugent of being a sea lion and provider of safe havens for rapists and slymepitters (but I repeat myself).

Fascist Tit has had to have a rebore and have a new bung installed in the hole.
So, same shit, different day?

Coming back to the 'pit is like putting on your favorite pair of slippers, I swear.
No, not the same shit. I was alternating turds and blood for a couple of days.
It's nice to have variety on occasion.

Welcome back Renee.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Easy J wrote:
Nec_V20 wrote:Easy J,

Keep on digging the hole deeper because you have deliberately attributed quotes to me which I did not make.

Weirdly enough my ass was out of here a lot sooner than anyone has reacted to you.

So it seems that they don't really have any standards around here - just excuses.

Not that I am really surprised.
Don't be so petulant, Nec. The fuckers here know better than to go at you one to one - you might want to take some pointers.

The buggers here actually ignore you because they cannot hack it one on one.

Or maybe I'm misquoting you again.
There are many things in life I just don't do, a partial lists includes:

1. Sticking my head in toilets.
2. Wearing hipster clothes.
3. Paying attention to morons.

Ignoring Nec covers 1 & 3 pretty well.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:FT, I'm sure you've already checked, but just in case...Ol' Neppers IP is from Germany, and not a Damion sock, right? Not that Damion would ever sock, oh, noes. And to be sure, Nec seems genuinely disturbed, but still...
I thought it might be Damion trying to prove a 'higher level sooper clever proof because we're thick and this place is a hive mind so proving by exception works' about the ban conditions here but if it is he's failing bad. As long as some of you address him he will continue. So the pit deserves Nec and is getting what it deserves. It's easy enough to pass by his posts. I also agree he is harmless and perfectly sane.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Gefan wrote:I honestly don't understand the entire concept of threats. If I intend a hostile act against someone, the last thing I want is for them to know it's coming.
Wait, you've never threatened me so does that mean... :think:

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

James Caruthers wrote:
Nec_V20 wrote:
Those who threaten don't do. I only kept options open.

There might be an atheists convention in our future where I might meet up with some of you.

Who knows, accidents happen.
Okay seriously, what the fuck, Lsuoma. I've been a mod and all I ever do when modding is sit on my ass and laugh at the reports people file, but I'd STILL ban a poster like Nec for this fucking shit. He's starting to put you into legal liability territory imo.

I don't see the point in eroding his posting privileges a la PZ's disemvoweling or whatever else. I think Nec should have to either admit it was a troll post and he didn't mean it or get banned. Threats should be a serious matter and credible threats imo are about where I draw my freeze peach line. Nec is such a weird unstable fucker I find it easy to believe he would hurt someone in real life for an imagined internet slight.

BTW Nec, way to be 2edge5me with all this internet badass "my hidden monster" bullshit. How about, if you ever do try to hurt anyone at an atheist convention, I hope they CCW carry and pop an entire clip in your ass.

Because this is 'Murica, bitch, and we keep them cocked and locked around these parts.
And just like that, I'm damned glad I have a CWP and utilize it daily :)

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Skep tickle wrote:screwtape - congrats on finishing chemo!!

Renee - good to see you back here & glad to hear your guy is doing well after his cancer treatment.
Thanks :) Now our biggest problem around here is tripping over 5 dogs, 1 of which is a puppy.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

SoylentAtheist wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:

I have watched several of her videos and have absolutely no memory of what she said in them.
I enjoy watching Christina Rad videos, however she doesn't really say much that I consider memorial. She is primarily preaching to the choir. I can't say I ever learned anything new by watching her stuff, so I don't watch them until someone points a significant one out to me.

Life is too short to sit around listening to people telling me things I want to hear.
That's true of all atheist youtubers really as they are not preaching to the choir but bringing up the old trusted points to new people in interesting ways. I think she does that very well. I occasionally watch the Atheist Experience and I can predict their replies with some accuracy but that does not mean the caller or viewers can.

One thing that is apparent to me though is that a lot of SJW's are happy to wear and exploit the atheist label but know sod all about the arguments. It was Aratina who said he wasn't even a skeptic. Entryism is never so obvious.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

JackSkeptic wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:
So, same shit, different day?

Coming back to the 'pit is like putting on your favorite pair of slippers, I swear.
No, not the same shit. I was alternating turds and blood for a couple of days.
It's nice to have variety on occasion.

Welcome back Renee.
Good alternation plan, Lsuoma :)

Thanks, Jack!

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

ReneeHendricks wrote:Hey all - doing a quick peek as I haven't been here in a while. How's everyone doing?
You might enjoy some reading: https://www.google.se/webhp?sourceid=ch ... nugent.com

http://i.imgur.com/3xwjQFD.png

Southern

Re: The Don't Be Spammy Tweet

Post by Southern »

Aneris wrote:Perfect example of sausage making at FreethoughtBlogs.
<snip Twatter bullshittery>
Yawn. Twatter, eh?

Southern

Post by Southern »

James Caruthers wrote:
Nec_V20 wrote: Unfortunately I will be dead soon.
:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
https://bostonstitletowntalk.files.word ... oicing.gif

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

TedDahlberg - wow. I have been out of the loop a bit. I knew Nugent and PZ were going back and forth but didn't realize it was getting that deep. I didn't even know that Avicenna had been given the blog boot. I've got to keep up on this stuff!

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

ReneeHendricks wrote:TedDahlberg - wow. I have been out of the loop a bit. I knew Nugent and PZ were going back and forth but didn't realize it was getting that deep. I didn't even know that Avicenna had been given the blog boot. I've got to keep up on this stuff!
I think those two are the big highlights, unless I'm forgetting something.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

James Caruthers wrote: That conversation is already happening and those in the fat activists are working tirelessly as part of their SJW activism to push obesity many 'feet' over in the direction of "completely acceptable at all times, and something we should totes take your tax money for."

But you're certainly entitled to not care about the conversation or not share my opinion on it. I have to disagree also about obesity not becoming cool. It'll never be cool in maybe the way you mean, but it's certainly becoming more acceptable and increasing a number of related costs.

I think it's fair to take the prevalence of morbid obesity as a total package. It's not any one thing, but everything together that creates so much obesity and then attempts to rationalize it. There's a processed food industry with power and influence in US politics and public policy that you non-Americans can't even begin to imagine. Advertisers are allowed to direct-market to children as much as they wish. Food manufacturers are permitted to lie on their packaging as long as they don't lie in specific areas (IE the nutritional information itself.) Companies are allowed to sell many unhealthy products as if they were healthy. Fast food and restaurants are not required to list either the calorie information or the nutritional information (ingredients list) of their products, although many choose to do so on their websites.

Then there are issues of personal responsibility, which is where I think HAES and the related messaging ties in with SJWism. Seems like many people today are unwilling to ever admit that their poor results are the result of poor choices they made. In the search for an invisible oppressor, I've seen obese fat activists blame a vast conspiracy of doctors, diet industry, fat-shaming Hollywood and the US government itself. :D

If you want to read something horrifying, take some time to look up nurses who receive permanent crippling injuries from having to move 500-pound patients, who are much more common than they were 50 years ago.

Anyway, I'll leave off now, but to me, this issue of fat activism and HAES is every bit as much junk science propaganda as people preaching Creationism or claiming that all men are potential rapists.
So much this. Here's an article on injuries in nursing staff, many of which are at least indirectly related to the increasing weight of patients:

http://www.npr.org/2015/02/04/382639199 ... g-patients

Some SJWs would undoubtedly claim that using hoists etc. to move morbidly obese patients is fat-shaming them, and therefore the nurses should just suck it up and risk injury. I know that was the mentality when I worked as a nurse aide years ago. Can't let the patient know that you're aware that they're obese. Can't shame them by bringing in a reinforced bed ... let them break the one that's in the room, just with sheer weight.

An anesthesiologist friend says that intubation equipment (for example) has had to be specially designed to accommodate morbidly obese patients. An increasing number of doctors, nurses, medical students, etc. themselves are morbidly obese ... it's difficult to maneuver around some of the obese students in the crowded anatomy labs, and I can only imagine what it's like when they're on clinical rotations in surgery or small patient room settings.

Jiminy Cricket

Post by Jiminy Cricket »

Sunder wrote:
Really? wrote:The discussion on the thread is funny as hell. PZ included no link. No Horder tried to find the Elam quote. Then after a couple weeks, some Dani dude/dudette breaks in and tries to drop some troof. Then the Horde treats him/her exactly as you'd expect.
I like how one of the regulars more or less implies "yes, Nerd is a tedious broken record that most of us just ignore."
Even as a non-violent cricketkin, after reading Nerd's comments I feel a strong urge to cause him pain. Or at least lay eggs in his ear while he sleeps.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

For those who are not familiar with them, TotalBiscuit and Nerdcubed are two very popular gaming youtubers (about 2 million subscribers each). Neither are on the "side" of Gamergate, but at least TB has been getting increasingly vocally fed up with the anti-GG people. In the exchange below they start by commenting on Techraptor publishing an interview containing allegations of impropriety/corruption/nepotism within the indie game development world. And then, magic happens.

http://i.imgur.com/MjkkzBp.png

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... their-hats

BarnOwl, stop stealing people's hats, ok?

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

another lurker wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... their-hats

:lol:

Who says that owls don't have a sense of humor?

I admit that if I lived in the area, I would deliberately attempt to get a hat stolen from my head.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Lsuoma wrote: Anyway, this was one of the most intense sexual experience I remember apart from the time when I left Burroughs Wellcome in Dartford in 1979...
One of the few things I really like about living in England is how so many towns and cities lend such an air of suburban, everyday bathos to things which should otherwise seem exotic and alluring.

Olestra Vulvara sipped the Dom Perignon from the rim of the flute with lips lingering at the edge. 'I am from Romania,' she said, in an accent as deep as her hooded eyes. 'Und vere are you from, Mr Bond?'

'Basingstoke,' replied Bond. 'Living in Leighton Buzzard now. Penthouse flat. Luxury.'

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

BarnOwl wrote:

I admit that if I lived in the area, I would deliberately attempt to get a hat stolen from my head.
They should wear anti-owl hats. http://www.china.org.cn/china/local/200 ... 214577.htm

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

TedDahlberg wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:

They should wear anti-owl hats. http://www.china.org.cn/china/local/200 ... 214577.htm
"It doesn't hurt but it is really annoying
Yep. I always knew that BO was really annoying!!!

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Tigzy wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: Anyway, this was one of the most intense sexual experience I remember apart from the time when I left Burroughs Wellcome in Dartford in 1979...
One of the few things I really like about living in England is how so many towns and cities lend such an air of suburban, everyday bathos to things which should otherwise seem exotic and alluring.

Olestra Vulvara sipped the Dom Perignon from the rim of the flute with lips lingering at the edge. 'I am from Romania,' she said, in an accent as deep as her hooded eyes. 'Und vere are you from, Mr Bond?'

'Basingstoke,' replied Bond. 'Living in Leighton Buzzard now. Penthouse flat. Luxury.'
I hate to nitpick (that's a lie) but Bond is from Pett Bottom.

Dave

Post by Dave »

rayshul wrote:Reading the secular women kickstarter, I fucking hate them. In answer to the question, do you have to be a woman or gender queer to attend:
Absolutely not. Diverse groups accomplish more. Our conference is no exception. The only thing you need in order to be able to attend, aside from a ticket, is a willingness to learn from accomplished people who aren’t men.
Fucking cunts. Bunch of fucking cunts.
You know, if they were to *actually* get accomplished people as speakers, Id probably be OK with this. Having seen the lineups at similar conferences organized by those crowds, I can only assume they have a non-standard definition of "accomplished."

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Dick Strawkins wrote:This is hardly the first time he's been taken in by false quote attributed to his opponents. I recall a similar situation involving a false statement attributed to 'The Amazing Atheist' about a year ago.
Maybe this has been said or is too obvious to say, but this fiasco is important with regard to Michael Shermer. We were told to take PZ Myers' third-hand accusation seriously because PZ is such a good judge of character and knows when and when not to pass along an accusation. Yes, that changed when the accuser came out, said some more, then walked it back, then said that the label "rape" should not be used, but earlier we just PZ and his wonderful ability to know what is true.

dogen

Post by dogen »

TedDahlberg wrote:
Tigzy wrote:

I hate to nitpick (that's a lie) but Bond is from Pett Bottom.
Nether Wallop, surely?

Billie from Ockham

dogen wrote:
TedDahlberg wrote:I hate to nitpick (that's a lie) but Bond is from Pett Bottom.
Nether Wallop, surely?
That's what's wrong with the modern world: the normalization of kink by Anais Nin, Anne Rice, Elizabeth McNeill, and E L James. When the world was OK, Pett Bottom was radical, but now you need Nether Wallop to get a reaction. Where's my time machine? Get off my lawn.

Billie from Ockham

Please note that my previous comment did not include Greta Christina, as I can see no influence of her writing on anything other than the availability of toilet paper in certain locations.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

We will repair to our rooms, and consume our fruit in solitude.

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

another lurker wrote:We will repair to our rooms, and consume our fruit in solitude.
Lest there be stare reap.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Karmakin wrote:
Steersman wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote:Remember Emma Sulkowicz, the Columbia student who was in the news a few months back? ...
Someone linked to the Salon article here not long ago which discussed the case and referenced the one by Cathy Young. Fascinating reading. But the one thing that strikes me more than others is that Sulkowicz seems to really think that she had been raped - why else the "performance art" with the mattress? - in spite of, as you indicated, any number of other facts that suggest that that was a later perception. And evidence of the flakiness of our memories.

But one is tempted to suggest that that is "more of a gal thing" - until one realizes the rather large number of men who have equally tenuous perceptions (ideology as the basis for morality? "sex as a social construct"); moot point whether it's more prevalent in women than in men. Although there does seem to be a basic asymmetry in sex that might be tipping the balance - seems there's an element of force (penetration) and dominance/submission (as suggested by the popularity of Fifty Shades of Grey]) intrinsic to the act that makes for that asymmetric response.
Look at it this way, There's actually a lot of pressure placed on young women to see themselves as victims, and that molds memories in a certain way. Quite frankly, I think they're being victimized by these elements of the feminist movement.
I have a strong suspicion that Sulkowicz, similar to UVA's Jackie, has some kind of major personality and/or depressive disorder. Her self-infantilizing Facebook communications tend to lay more credence to that. Does she know that she's lying and is doing it out of revenge or an ends-justify-the-means political crusade? Or is a toxic brew of mental illness, victimhood-seeking to justify her unhappiness, and the ability to make truth malleable to her own needs playing tricks with her memory? I suspect the latter, but who knows?

It's interesting that she was initially cooperating but then stopped after promising she would provide context. Perhaps this means she really thinks her accusation is truthful, but when she actually tried to construct this context, she realized her memories weren't lining up with the facts. So she went with SJW Rebuttal Strategy A: Call your opponent a harassing anti-feminist.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

BarnOwl wrote:
James Caruthers wrote: That conversation is already happening and those in the fat activists are working tirelessly as part of their SJW activism to push obesity many 'feet' over in the direction of "completely acceptable at all times, and something we should totes take your tax money for."

So much this. Here's an article on injuries in nursing staff, many of which are at least indirectly related to the increasing weight of patients:

http://www.npr.org/2015/02/04/382639199 ... g-patients

Some SJWs would undoubtedly claim that using hoists etc. to move morbidly obese patients is fat-shaming them, and therefore the nurses should just suck it up and risk injury. I know that was the mentality when I worked as a nurse aide years ago. Can't let the patient know that you're aware that they're obese. Can't shame them by bringing in a reinforced bed ... let them break the one that's in the room, just with sheer weight.

An anesthesiologist friend says that intubation equipment (for example) has had to be specially designed to accommodate morbidly obese patients. An increasing number of doctors, nurses, medical students, etc. themselves are morbidly obese ... it's difficult to maneuver around some of the obese students in the crowded anatomy labs, and I can only imagine what it's like when they're on clinical rotations in surgery or small patient room settings.
Not to mention that extra-large patients require special facilities. 500-pound patients need wheelchairs and MRI machines that can handle their immense bulk, and these have to be built especially to cater to those individuals. This cost must be passed along somehow.

I do not envy nurses after hearing some of the tales I've heard about moving these patients. Apparently some facilities are hiring on extra help just to move the super-obese.

IIRC the current biggest killers in the western world are all obesity-related diseases completely preventable with proper diet and exercise. Furthermore, the US is exporting these diseases to other countries. Where the western diet goes, diabetes and heart disease follow (along with increasing corpulence.)

In addition to rising obesity in adults, there's the matter of increasing childhood obesity. There are two factors which influence this as I understand the issue:

-The mother's diet while the child is in the womb and breastfeeding
-The child's environment after it is born

It might not be a bad idea to approach junk food (if westerners can even identify what "junk food" is at this point) the way we currently do alcohol. Many households will eat from fast food or takeout at least several times a week, and many kids living in poor neighborhoods have a steady diet of soft drinks, chips and candy. Of course, predatory practices by convenience stores, junk food manufacturers and the government's school lunch program shouldn't be ignored. One would think the school lunch should provide healthy fare, but it does not. The school lunch system functions as a dumping ground for cheap frozen junk food that the processed food makers would otherwise probably throw out.

As obesity increases, many people turn to bariatric surgeries and other weight-loss surgeries. Although it takes longer, proper nutrition is cheaper and less invasive. I refuse to believe that every person who applies for this type of weight loss surgery is an impossible case who could not get the weight off naturally. In point of fact, many of these surgeries fail because the patients continue to overeat in the extreme. The surgery is invasive and has many health risks, too.

http://www.modbee.com/incoming/article3117430.html

I don't know who covers the costs in the US, but in a country like Britain, the taxpayers pay for these surgeries IIRC.

Additionally, when you become too obese to work, many countries will put you on the dole.

http://dailycaller.com/2014/10/28/briti ... ney-video/

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/fat-wor ... story.html

If you look into the causes of the spiraling costs of healthcare, what you will find is that obesity is responsible for much of the cost increase. As I said, I don't consider this solely a matter of "let's point and laugh at fat people" but to deny that some poor decision-making is involved in the rise of western obesity seems as silly as denying the Earth's age.

I hope the west can find a way to reign this problem in, or a lot of innocent people, including children who don't know any better and nurses just trying to help people, are going to be permanently crippled.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Moms are always better than dads for the kids.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/02/06/woman-div ... y-5051907/

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Southern wrote:Moms are always better than dads for the kids.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/02/06/woman-div ... y-5051907/

The problem appears to be a cultural one.

John D

Post by John D »

James Caruthers wrote:
If you look into the causes of the spiraling costs of healthcare, what you will find is that obesity is responsible for much of the cost increase. As I said, I don't consider this solely a matter of "let's point and laugh at fat people" but to deny that some poor decision-making is involved in the rise of western obesity seems as silly as denying the Earth's age.
This is a very bold claim.... and also a popular one if you like riding on a bandwagon.

I am not claiming obesity is healthy. I am saying that the "epidemic" of obesity is often just a rally-cry for fitness nuts and ass-holes to blame the worlds problems on fat people.

Over the years doctors and advocacy groups have been playing fast and loose with statistics, changing diagnosis criteria, and whipping up panic. Why would an advocacy group what to whip up panic? haha. I don't have to answer this.

Fuck man.... the American Heart Association still recommends a low fat - high cholesterol diet. It is a fucking crime.

I am not going to say that these links are always perfect. They do at least shed some light on the "fat-ass" topic. Basically James... I think you are woefully ignorant about this topic... and you are happy to hate people who are not like you.

http://www.obesitymyths.com/myth1.1.htm

http://www.obesitymyths.com/myth2.1.htm

http://www.obesitymyths.com/myth7.1.htm

Billie from Ockham

You're citing crap, John.
Demonstrating that BMI is a crappy index is not the same as countering the "obesity myth."
John D wrote:http://www.obesitymyths.com/myth2.1.htm
Finding that fewer people are dying due to being overweight than originally thought is heading in the direction of showing that the version of the myth that says that "obesity is causing as many deaths as smoking" isn't true, but doesn't change that obesity is still in the top five. It just isn't tied for Number One.

Showing that average life expectancy is still rising in the US, even while obesity rates also increase, would only be evidence against the "obesity myth" if nothing else were changing. Since lots of other things are changing, it's not evidence.

I try to be as skeptical as the next person, but that goes both ways. Shitty counter-arguments are not how you rule out a shitty claim.

Billie from Ockham

Phui. Didn't close a quote and mushed the second and third together, but I'm sure you'll figure it out. If anything is a misquote, then it refers to Nec_V20, instead of John.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

jugheadnaut wrote: I have a strong suspicion that Sulkowicz, similar to UVA's Jackie, has some kind of major personality and/or depressive disorder. Her self-infantilizing Facebook communications tend to lay more credence to that. Does she know that she's lying and is doing it out of revenge or an ends-justify-the-means political crusade? Or is a toxic brew of mental illness, victimhood-seeking to justify her unhappiness, and the ability to make truth malleable to her own needs playing tricks with her memory? I suspect the latter, but who knows?

It's interesting that she was initially cooperating but then stopped after promising she would provide context. Perhaps this means she really thinks her accusation is truthful, but when she actually tried to construct this context, she realized her memories weren't lining up with the facts. So she went with SJW Rebuttal Strategy A: Call your opponent a harassing anti-feminist.
Sulkowicz sent her contextual annotations to Jezebel for inclusion in their hit piece on Cathy Young.

Billie from Ockham

Someone linked to the Salon article ...
I just read the above for the first time and it's rather enraging. Let me summarize: "yeah, OK, the woman with purple hair and a mattress has no evidence against the guy she accuses, but - wait! - look at this other case - (ignoring that it's totes different) - where two guys were convicted; does that not convince you?"

Is there an IQ or logic test that you must fail to work for Salon?

John D

Post by John D »

Billie from Ockham wrote:You're citing crap, John.
Demonstrating that BMI is a crappy index is not the same as countering the "obesity myth."
John D wrote:http://www.obesitymyths.com/myth2.1.htm
Finding that fewer people are dying due to being overweight than originally thought is heading in the direction of showing that the version of the myth that says that "obesity is causing as many deaths as smoking" isn't true, but doesn't change that obesity is still in the top five. It just isn't tied for Number One.

Showing that average life expectancy is still rising in the US, even while obesity rates also increase, would only be evidence against the "obesity myth" if nothing else were changing. Since lots of other things are changing, it's not evidence.

I try to be as skeptical as the next person, but that goes both ways. Shitty counter-arguments are not how you rule out a shitty claim.
The use of the new measure for BMI has had a significant impact on reporting of the number of overweight people. This is one trick that people use to claim there is an "Obesity epidemic".

I do understand that Americans are getting heavier on average.

Obesity is often caused by associated disease.... but every time someone studies obesity they assume that obesity is the causal factor. The fact is that much of the reason for people becoming obese is some kind of malady preceding the weight gain. Correlation is not causality.

Dave

Post by Dave »

John D wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:
This is a very bold claim.... and also a popular one if you like riding on a bandwagon.

I am not claiming obesity is healthy. I am saying that the "epidemic" of obesity is often just a rally-cry for fitness nuts and ass-holes to blame the worlds problems on fat people.
You quote epidemic as if you dont believe such a thing exists. In 1960, the average man had a BMI of 25.4. In 2002, that figure was 27.7. People *are* getting fatter. In 1960, the majority of states had obesity rates (as defined by BMI) of less than 15%. Today the majority have rates over 30%.
Im not sure what the point is, it has long been recognized that BMI is not exact, but it is a useful guide. If you are working out extensively (as most sports stars and hollywood stars for that matter do) the guidelines may not apply to you. So what? If you want to make a case that the over two points increase in the past 50 years is due to additional muscle mass, present some evidence, not a few cherry picked exceptions to the rule.
OK, so one study disagrees with another. This happens in science all the time. Whats your point?

Even if I take the second study as gospel, 26000 deaths is a fucking lot. Its more than attributable to Alcohol and we have health efforts at reducing drinking. Its more than attributable to AIDS, Lukemia or Parkinsons, each of which are considered major health issues. Certainly more than ALS, which half the country dumped ice buckets over the head for. So maybe its not as terrible as the the first study claims, it still appears to be a major health issue.
[/quote]
Again with the celebs. I decided to check their math -- George Clooney is 5'11" and 172 lbs according to the internet. That gives him a BMI of 24, not the claimed 29.4. I think the fact check should be fact checked. As to the overall claim of this page, perhaps a 29 isnt obese, its still significantly overweight.

Frankly looking over your linked site, it seems overall much like the anti-vax or creationist arguments. Pick a few datapoints that you can argue and ignore the overall trend. Lets say the last page was right and every cost was double counted. Is $59Billion an acceptable number? Does it not still indicate a problem? Most of this is seems a large "Wahhhhh! They didnt get everything exactly right." Sorry. Science is hard. Even if the criticism you present are correct, the revised numbers still present a significant health issue.