Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
Nec_V20

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by Nec_V20 »

Billie from Ockham wrote:Grrr. My entire family was gassed by the Nazis.

ps. I'm less than 70 years old
Sex is hereditary, if your parents didn't have any then you pretty certainly won't either.

The only complaint about your mother is that she compared unfavourably to a parking meter - you get me time from a parking meter when you put something in the slot.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

[youtube]DucC91dJepQ[/youtube]

Y'all're welcome.

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 »

James Caruthers wrote:
paddybrown wrote:Right. I remember a while back half the Pit turned out to be guitarists, and I thought I'd solicit a bit of discussion. Don't worry, I'm not going to restart the "thumb-over-neck" wars that some people probably have PTSD from.

I'm due to inherit some money from my mum, and one of the things I'd like to do with it is get myself a really good electric guitar. I thought about buying a strat, and looked at all the options and models that are available. And then I thought - why not make one? There are places online where you can buy bodies and necks and electronics and everything else. I can customise it just like I want.

Shape-wise, it's going to be a strat. It's a classic shape, it's comfortable and balances well on a strap. The Les Paul looks very pretty, but it's very heavy and doesn't balance so well. Finish-wise, I reckon natural wood. Walnut looks nice. You can get wooden scratch plates as well, maybe get a darker wood like mahogany for that. Get my cousin, who's brilliant at woodworking and things like that, to recess it into the body so it's flush, that might be cool. Brass knobs and stuff. I think that'd look great.

Sound-wise I'm less sure what to do. I want to be able to approximate that thin, conversational tone you can get with a strat, but also the big thick opera-singer bellow of a Les Paul. What occurs to me is I could buy some Seymour Duncan Vintage Rails pickups, which are noise-cancelling like humbuckers but supposedly still thin and strat-sounding, and a midrange-boosting active tone control that I could turn up when I wanted to roar. Anybody have any idea if that would work?
There are hundreds of pickup options, but Seymour Duncan makes a nice pickup.

Honestly, I'd recommend going to a shop and playing all the guitars until you find one you bond with. Also, figure out what neck profile fits best for your hand. For some people, that matters a lot. Others don't seem to care. Either way, get a guitar that fits you.

For reference, I have a vintage '80s Tokai strat with a soft v-neck. I love everything about this guitar. Just single coils, but put some distortion on them and they get nice and fuzzy.

If you want a thick tone, you can also look at P90s. I'm a big fan of their sound.

It depends what you want to play. Trying to play speed metal with vintage single coils... You're gonna have a bad time.
Musical talent will defeat any obstacle.

The thing is that if you have no musical talent then of course the instrument becomes the bone of contention.

If you are a good hacker you can crank out great code whether it be on a super-computer or a trash-80.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
BoxNDox wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote:I have a thing for Catholic girls. And writing that last sentence makes me feel gross, like I’m a traitor, or a self-hating atheist. I know it’s wrong to think this way, to focus on having my penis sucked correctly as the ultimate goal in my love life.
Obligatory:

[youtube]YMdhWRO4-dQ[/youtube]
[youtube]bPf2JktqSGA[/youtube]
[youtube]NJBoHa3GArA[/youtube]

Really?

Post by Really? »

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Really? wrote:
I appreciate the sentiment, but "Feedingfrenzy Thoughtpolice Bullies" is a bit of a stretch; it sounds like the kind of humorless nonsense they make up at FfTB.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

BarnOwl wrote:
BoxNDox wrote: Obligatory:

[youtube]YMdhWRO4-dQ[/youtube]
[youtube]bPf2JktqSGA[/youtube]
[youtube]NJBoHa3GArA[/youtube]
Wow! Dark. Anatomy class today, by any chance?

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote: Wow! Dark. Anatomy class today, by any chance?
Always! :mrgreen:

D'ya think SJWs probably hate that song?

windy

Post by windy »

Tony Parsehole wrote:When hammered with evidence that 15th century Bohemia had no "POC" the SJW's just switch the argument and imply that the game designer specifically chose the setting because it was so devoid of "minorities".
HAHAHAHA!

ConcentratedH2O, OM

BarnOwl wrote:

Probably makes them shit their pants, if they have any sense of shame.

How do you "deal" with seeing so many corpses? Do you ever see one that makes you wonder about their life? *Questions you hear all the time*

ConcentratedH2O, OM

BarnOwl wrote:

How do you "deal" with seeing so many corpses? Do you ever see one that makes you wonder about their life? *Questions you hear all the time*
Well that came out the opposite of what I meant. Basically: SJWs are horrible people who should all die. Preferably with a rusty Spokesgay up their ass. On fire.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Really? wrote:
I hope he doesn't use the term "free" thoughtpolice or I will certainly sue. And I won't use Walter Ego's lawyer! :evil:

Southern

Post by Southern »

James Caruthers wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:Laughing my cock off listening to this blokes advice on dealing with social justice warriors at 25:44. It goes on for a good few minutes.
[youtube]vbNY1qgyuwY[/youtube]

I Googled him and he looks like a pure hipster too, so I'm genuinely surprised at his choice of words.
Oh my son, you do not know of Yahtzee Croshaw?

Let me hit some highlights:

-he legitimately hates humanity
-no, it's not just an act, he's an edgy misanthrope
-he called himself "asexual" for the longest time, but it turned out he wasn't really, he just can't make it work with girls or something
-he's been making the same video over and over for 7 years
-he works for The Escapist, which is where Moviebob Chipman (a huge, hilarious lolcow SJW) used to work until just recently
-wears fedora in every picture I've seen him in
-thinks he is a proper english gentleman
-will probably end up continuing to make the same video over and over for at least another 5 years
-tried to make a video game TV show or something and it was hilariously awful

Not as bad as Moviebob, Full McIntosh, Anteater Snarkeesian, Davis Aurini etc, but he's definitely verging on lolcow status.
Oh boy, Yahtzee... here's a quick crash course on the most boring guy making vydia videos on the internet:

[youtube]YvDZCTDNl1E[/youtube]

[youtube]jAKDePC2m84[/youtube]

[youtube]HFgOlx3qi_s[/youtube]

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Really? wrote:
Shots fired!

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Southern wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:Laughing my cock off listening to this blokes advice on dealing with social justice warriors at 25:44. It goes on for a good few minutes.
[youtube]vbNY1qgyuwY[/youtube]

I Googled him and he looks like a pure hipster too, so I'm genuinely surprised at his choice of words.
Oh my son, you do not know of Yahtzee Croshaw?

Let me hit some highlights:

-he legitimately hates humanity
-no, it's not just an act, he's an edgy misanthrope
-he called himself "asexual" for the longest time, but it turned out he wasn't really, he just can't make it work with girls or something
-he's been making the same video over and over for 7 years
-he works for The Escapist, which is where Moviebob Chipman (a huge, hilarious lolcow SJW) used to work until just recently
-wears fedora in every picture I've seen him in
-thinks he is a proper english gentleman
-will probably end up continuing to make the same video over and over for at least another 5 years
-tried to make a video game TV show or something and it was hilariously awful

Not as bad as Moviebob, Full McIntosh, Anteater Snarkeesian, Davis Aurini etc, but he's definitely verging on lolcow status.
Oh boy, Yahtzee... here's a quick crash course on the most boring guy making vydia videos on the internet:

...]
7 years and running on the Escapist and has hundreds of thousands of fans that watch his let's play and twitch... Two novels published... Multiple, albeit not earth shaking, games published... One of the founders of the successful gaming pub, The Mana Bar... Multiple YouTube videos with over a million views each...

Yeah... He must really suck cause he's so unsuccessful...

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

BarnOwl wrote:

As anatomical specimens, the cadavers don't bother me ... and we only know the person's age and cause of death. I wonder about their lives all the time, though, and so do the students. If it's the body of a person who died in their 40s or 50s (in contrast to the typical specimen who died in their 80s or 90s), the students seem more likely to obsess a bit about the person's life. And they always give their cadaver a name. Sometimes we have discussions about whether/how much a person suffered from their disease(s)/cause of death, and I think that's a reasonable, though tough, discussion to have. I also think more physicians need to come to grips with the fact that many of their procedures and treatments cause pain. Not unnecessary pain, but pain nevertheless.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

[youtube]37JpqskDQC4[/youtube]

ConcentratedH2O, OM

BarnOwl wrote:
As anatomical specimens, the cadavers don't bother me ... and we only know the person's age and cause of death. I wonder about their lives all the time, though, and so do the students. If it's the body of a person who died in their 40s or 50s (in contrast to the typical specimen who died in their 80s or 90s), the students seem more likely to obsess a bit about the person's life. And they always give their cadaver a name. Sometimes we have discussions about whether/how much a person suffered from their disease(s)/cause of death, and I think that's a reasonable, though tough, discussion to have. I also think more physicians need to come to grips with the fact that many of their procedures and treatments cause pain. Not unnecessary pain, but pain nevertheless.
Thank you.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Nerd might be heading for the great big banhammer in the sky with this kind of seditious talk:

http://i.imgur.com/GyrES35.png

Meyers must be fucking furious!

SoylentAtheist

Post by SoylentAtheist »

Dave wrote:http://abc30.com/news/shoppers-shocked- ... ht/519100/
Can you believe that gave this poor woman a citation after she was raped by that shitlord?!?!
Clearly THE PATRIARCHY in action.
At least they hauled his misogynist ass off to jail.
Cops tend to arrest based off of what they actually see. According to the shop owner, the guy had stripped down and was buck ass naked. The woman kept her skirt on.

So perhaps there is something different about their behavior that resulted in them being treated differently.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Southern wrote:

[youtube]YvDZCTDNl1E[/youtube]

[youtube]jAKDePC2m84[/youtube]

[youtube]HFgOlx3qi_s[/youtube]
I really hate to say this Southern, but the guy whose videos you posted is a much bigger lolcow than Yahtzee. Sorry, I just can't take any Asalieri video seriously, knowing what I know about the guy. Encyclopedia Dramatica is a good start. Come back when you exhaust those lulz and I will show you moar hidden Asa lulz.

I had to respond to this quote because I don't want anyone to think that my shit-talking Yahtzee is an endorsement of Asa's clown antics.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Tribble wrote:
7 years and running on the Escapist and has hundreds of thousands of fans that watch his let's play and twitch... Two novels published... Multiple, albeit not earth shaking, games published... One of the founders of the successful gaming pub, The Mana Bar... Multiple YouTube videos with over a million views each...

Internet success != quality of your work.

http://jogazera.com.br/wp-content/uploa ... 608gsx.png

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

windy wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:When hammered with evidence that 15th century Bohemia had no "POC" the SJW's just switch the argument and imply that the game designer specifically chose the setting because it was so devoid of "minorities".
HAHAHAHA!

Jay Allen AKA a_man_in_black is one of the most self-aggrandising people I have seen on the internet. He's actually pretty amusing for a while. His weird and obsessive storifies are nearly as entertaining as Hornbeck's guff.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Southern wrote:
Tribble wrote:

Ben Croshaw isn't a bad bloke. He's always been very even about all the social justice bullshit. Yes he has one routine, but he's good at it.

Southern

Post by Southern »

James Caruthers wrote: I really hate to say this Southern, but the guy whose videos you posted is a much bigger lolcow than Yahtzee. Sorry, I just can't take any Asalieri video seriously, knowing what I know about the guy. Encyclopedia Dramatica is a good start. Come back when you exhaust those lulz and I will show you moar hidden Asa lulz.

I had to respond to this quote because I don't want anyone to think that my shit-talking Yahtzee is an endorsement of Asa's clown antics.
Oh, don't you worry, I know all about Asa's antics and how utterly retarded he is. I read about his spaz attacks on ED, I even sat down for the entire Skype call he and his cohorts had with Dr. Pepper (I think that's his name; one of the fatsos behind Reviewtopia), and believe me: I know how full of lulz the guy is.

He occasionally makes good points, however - like his Kickstarter Nightmare videos, specially the ones dealing with internet celebrities begging for money they don't need for worthless projects with insulting rewards. I mean, just look at the complete disaster Channel Awesome's IndieGogo campaing - Asa was right about it from the begining.

Weren't we talking earlier about how you can enjoy someone's work even if they are pedophiles or otherwise horrible human beings? I can filter that about an lulzy asshole like Asalieri. Even if he's a fucking Argentinian scum and a San Lorenzo fan, which I swear hacked last year's Libertadores da America and eliminated my team.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Sulman wrote:
Southern wrote:
Tribble wrote:

Ben Croshaw isn't a bad bloke. He's always been very even about all the social justice bullshit. Yes he has one routine, but he's good at it.
To each one their own poison, I guess. I can't stand the fucker. In fact, he's one of the people that, in the event I ever see him IRL, I would kick him in the cunt.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Geist wrote:
paddybrown wrote:Right. I remember a while back half the Pit turned out to be guitarists, and I thought I'd solicit a bit of discussion. Don't worry, I'm not going to restart the "thumb-over-neck" wars that some people probably have PTSD from.

I'm due to inherit some money from my mum, and one of the things I'd like to do with it is get myself a really good electric guitar. I thought about buying a strat, and looked at all the options and models that are available. And then I thought - why not make one? There are places online where you can buy bodies and necks and electronics and everything else. I can customise it just like I want.

Shape-wise, it's going to be a strat. It's a classic shape, it's comfortable and balances well on a strap. The Les Paul looks very pretty, but it's very heavy and doesn't balance so well. Finish-wise, I reckon natural wood. Walnut looks nice. You can get wooden scratch plates as well, maybe get a darker wood like mahogany for that. Get my cousin, who's brilliant at woodworking and things like that, to recess it into the body so it's flush, that might be cool. Brass knobs and stuff. I think that'd look great.

Sound-wise I'm less sure what to do. I want to be able to approximate that thin, conversational tone you can get with a strat, but also the big thick opera-singer bellow of a Les Paul. What occurs to me is I could buy some Seymour Duncan Vintage Rails pickups, which are noise-cancelling like humbuckers but supposedly still thin and strat-sounding, and a midrange-boosting active tone control that I could turn up when I wanted to roar. Anybody have any idea if that would work?
Reasons not to make your own:
1. The resale value will be almost nothing. The pickups maybe.
2. Making a guitar requires a bunch of skills that don't come under ordinary woodworking. You need to be decent with electronics (particularly for anything active) for one thing, but you also need to be able to handle a bunch of specific engineering problems that only matter for a musical instrument. Situations where something being a fraction of a millimeter "off" can result in significant problems with playability or tone. I am not saying it is impossibly hard to make a playable instrument, more that you are unlikely to end up with a guitar that is superior to a basic Yamaha Pacifica.
3. Because small variations in the parts and construction make such a major difference, even mass-produced instruments will be wildly variable. If you go to a guitar store and play a dozen "identical" stratocasters they will all feel different (and this is even after they have gone through quality control etc), building a one-off gives you just one shot at getting something you like.

Reasons to make your own:
1. You don't care about making a great instrument, but want the experience of making one yourself.
2. You have very specific needs that will only be met this way.

My recommendation would be to see if there are any second-hand instruments you like the look of, and that play right for you. I'm not sure whether you are thinking of this as a "legacy" thing, but a guitar which is old and cool now is probably going to be something really special by the time you kick the bucket. Some vintage guitars are very expensive, but most of them aren't (older Japanese guitars are supposed to be fantastic and don't have the ridiculous price inflation that American ones do).

Also if you're looking for something that looks like a Les Paul but feels more like a Stratocaster, try a Gibson Nighthawk.
You can also model the sound digitally. The VSTs (programs that are like “add ons” to a sequencer music program, e.g. Cubase) have gotten really good in the recent years. They aren't perfect for true audiophiles, maybe as good as a 192/mp3 compared to vinyl. Something is missing, in partcular when you rely a lot on the noises and artifacts introduced by analogue equipment, yet for arrangements, ease of recording, sheer endless sounds, and for the fact that most people never maximise the sound they could have (with proper production), it's practically a must-have. For that, get a decent audio interface. I only have relative low grade stuff, yet I like the sound I get out of it and there is a lot of room unused (with proper mixing and the likes, as a non-technical person I suck at this). For VSTs I use amplitube and overloud TH-2, but I have specific setups and needs they capture best (compared to guitar rig).

James Caruthers

Southern wrote:
James Caruthers wrote: I really hate to say this Southern, but the guy whose videos you posted is a much bigger lolcow than Yahtzee. Sorry, I just can't take any Asalieri video seriously, knowing what I know about the guy. Encyclopedia Dramatica is a good start. Come back when you exhaust those lulz and I will show you moar hidden Asa lulz.

Oh, don't you worry, I know all about Asa's antics and how utterly retarded he is. I read about his spaz attacks on ED, I even sat down for the entire Skype call he and his cohorts had with Dr. Pepper (I think that's his name; one of the fatsos behind Reviewtopia), and believe me: I know how full of lulz the guy is.

He occasionally makes good points, however - like his Kickstarter Nightmare videos, specially the ones dealing with internet celebrities begging for money they don't need for worthless projects with insulting rewards. I mean, just look at the complete disaster Channel Awesome's IndieGogo campaing - Asa was right about it from the begining.

Weren't we talking earlier about how you can enjoy someone's work even if they are pedophiles or otherwise horrible human beings? I can filter that about an lulzy asshole like Asalieri. Even if he's a fucking Argentinian scum and a San Lorenzo fan, which I swear hacked last year's Libertadores da America and eliminated my team.
W-well yes... But internet lolcows are another matter entirely! :snooty:

My problem with listening to anything from Asa is that, like PZ, he often mixes in bullshit and lies with his true statements and valid points. So at some point, I stopped bothering to pay attention. Honestly, he probably stole a lot of his legit points from MEEEEEE anyway. :lol: He frequents a tiny forum I also visit (because he can't stand to not be where people have mentioned him in passing :dance: ) and we discussed internet characters like Yahtzee to fucking death way before Asa made any videos about him.

It sounds crazy, but it's true. You might say I knew Asa before he had gone full lolcow. Although he does have that hilarious Gaia Online drama that stretches back from way before I ever heard of him.

TL; DR on Yahtzee, he's more intelligent than the average internet dancing bear. He runs a bar/chain of bars and has written some books, so he's spreading out his sources of income. At least he's prepared for the day when the internet is finally bored of him and ready to move on to someone else, which is more than I can say for 99% of people who try to make a career of youtube vidya.

James Caruthers

I haven't seen a Yahtzee video in at least six months. They're all the fucking same.

Post by Guest »

That wacky math Jew is at it again

http://www.scottaaronson.com/blog/?p=2221

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

So, here I was reading the trivia for Hellboy, and look what I found:
All the agents have names related to things found while digging in the earth: Lime, Moss, Quarry, Stone, Clay. Even the newest agent is Myers corresponding to 'mire' - wet, soggy, muddy ground.
How à propos...

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Early Pit Kill. Good start for the day!

SoylentAtheist

Post by SoylentAtheist »

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Ok, now this is champion-level Pit Kill.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Let's try something:

BOOBS

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

You've all let us down. I offer boobs and great tits, yet nobody shows up. Do I need to check the international news?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Thanks fuck!

(why is her left boob redder than the right one?)

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Thanks fuck!

Embarrassment?

Either that or me not adjusting the hue properly.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

paddybrown wrote:

Embarrassment?

Either that or me not adjusting the hue properly.
See? This is why Ape+Lust is a god among us. He always adjusts the hue properly.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Jokes aside, there's nothing much going on in the SJW sphere. I'll take that as a good sign. The less Pit activity, the best indication that the times, they are a-changing.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

I may have sold the audience short.

HUGE COCK

(BTW, if the Pit's silence is linked to France talking with Assad, I didn't vote for that).

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Guest wrote:That wacky math Jew is at it again

http://www.scottaaronson.com/blog/?p=2221
Excellent blog post by Scott Aaronson. Bonus, he's obviously committed to social justice, but uses "social justice warrior" in its correct ironic form. Sure to cause cognitive dissonance in all the right quarters. And, of course, backlash. :popcorn:

(And, bonus bonus, any article where Marcotte is portrayed as pure evil has got to be good.)

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Jokes aside, there's nothing much going on in the SJW sphere. I'll take that as a good sign. The less Pit activity, the best indication that the times, they are a-changing.
See previous post. It's a small blip on the radar, but something.

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

If you're handy with a soldering iron and can follow a simple wiring plan.....AND are handy with paint and clear coat sanding and buffing I say go for building your own. Pick-ups I don't know much about so can't make any suggestions there. My Epi ES-339 has dual Allnico pro hum-bucker pick-ups which sound nice and warm..... I only mention this because the thing I really like about this set-up is the coil-tapping...which turns my dual hum-buckers into single coil independently and the three way switch extending the different tones possible.

There's coil-tapping and coil-splitting which do different things but I would suggest investigating further as an option.

Amp wise I have a Fender Mustang III v2. Others have mentioned amp modelling and this amp, to my newbie ears anyway, has been great and lots of fun to play with with added tons of effects. One can connect the amp to the internet and download and install pre-sets done by other users and pro-players.....awesomeness!

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

Some feminist "music" for your pleasure:

[youtube]rbs7q5E5mHE[/youtube]

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

Hunt wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Jokes aside, there's nothing much going on in the SJW sphere. I'll take that as a good sign. The less Pit activity, the best indication that the times, they are a-changing.
See previous post. It's a small blip on the radar, but something.
Another blip
http://www.smh.com.au/comment/no-one-ha ... 3nvq5.html

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

As for pickups, check out Kinman.com Very nice if that's the sound you want, but pricey.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Geist wrote:

(etc)
Reasons not to make your own:
1. The resale value will be almost nothing. The pickups maybe.
2. Making a guitar requires a bunch of skills that don't come under ordinary woodworking. You need to be decent with electronics (particularly for anything active) for one thing, but you also need to be able to handle a bunch of specific engineering problems that only matter for a musical instrument. Situations where something being a fraction of a millimeter "off" can result in significant problems with playability or tone. I am not saying it is impossibly hard to make a playable instrument, more that you are unlikely to end up with a guitar that is superior to a basic Yamaha Pacifica.
3. Because small variations in the parts and construction make such a major difference, even mass-produced instruments will be wildly variable. If you go to a guitar store and play a dozen "identical" stratocasters they will all feel different (and this is even after they have gone through quality control etc), building a one-off gives you just one shot at getting something you like.

Reasons to make your own:
1. You don't care about making a great instrument, but want the experience of making one yourself.
2. You have very specific needs that will only be met this way.

My recommendation would be to see if there are any second-hand instruments you like the look of, and that play right for you. I'm not sure whether you are thinking of this as a "legacy" thing, but a guitar which is old and cool now is probably going to be something really special by the time you kick the bucket. Some vintage guitars are very expensive, but most of them aren't (older Japanese guitars are supposed to be fantastic and don't have the ridiculous price inflation that American ones do).

Also if you're looking for something that looks like a Les Paul but feels more like a Stratocaster, try a Gibson Nighthawk.
Surely making a strat is just a matter of bolting a neck to a body? I'd get someone who knows what they're doing to set up the bridge. However, it does strike me since writing that that buying an actual strat made by a professional from Fender and customising the electronics would have more or less the same effect. So maybe that's the way I'll go.

Others have brought up sound processing and effects and so on. I'm not really into that. I have an old Marshall amp and the only effects I really like are distortion/overdrive (mild for a strat, heavier for a Les Paul) or reverb. Too much more than that and you lose the sense of there being a human being playing the thing.

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

I think you know it's more that just bolting the beck on... The other aspect I thought worth mentioning are those adjustable nuts made from some metallic alloy. Worth considering for that little extra brightness.

Modulation and stomp box stacking can be turned on or off. They are good to have there to play with tones covering era fads. Nice to come close to beatlesq Vox sound than switch to a 70's Marshall sound for a bit of Anarchy in the UK...

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Nerd ...
http://i.imgur.com/GyrES35.png
Nerd of Redhead is either far from a native speaker or - more likely - not a scientist after all. No-one talks about publishing in the way that s/he does. When a paper is published, it becomes part of the literature.

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Really? wrote:
I hope he doesn't use the term "free" thoughtpolice or I will certainly sue. And I won't use Walter Ego's lawyer! :evil:
You don't wanna collect call saul?

franc

Post by franc »

d4m10n wrote:
franc wrote: Damion, you are a Machiavellian blowhard that's overplayed his lame ass games. And a total cunt.
Maybe that is so, but I don't post links to third party dox.

Incidentally, Franc, would you mind if I post the link to where Rectoplasm® outed your nyms?

I'd appreciate knowing what rules you're playing by.
Maybe that is so, but I don't post links to third party dox.

Incidentally, Franc, would you mind if I post the link to where Rectoplasm® outed your nyms?

I'd appreciate knowing what rules you're playing by.[/quote]

Grima Wormtongue, talking about "rules"...

Thought I could flush you out.

Psychos that carve tattooes out of their arms and idolise Charles Manson...

I have no idea who that creep is. But he has filled my inbox.

You are a worm Damo. Your games are worthless.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Because her lover is aware of both the contralateral wiring of most of human cerebral cortex (with the cerebellum being the notable exception) and the dominance of the right hemisphere in sexual arousal.

Ergo, she is clearly not in France.

franc

Post by franc »

Lsuoma wrote:BTW, this is a request, not a rule, and is aimed mainly at franc and his ongoing war with DayDays: please just post links to material which might be considered psdeuo-doxxing, i.e., stuff which has been posted on other sites. It gets the message across just as well.

Thanks

Your friendly host
Lsuoma, who had to go and get his tailpipe fixed again on Thursday
It was a screencap from Gurdur the Reasonable. Who thinks I am shit and is superior to us all.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Well Watson's patreon has gone up only $4 since mid Jan. still trending in the wrong direction though.

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

Brive1987 wrote:Well Watson's patreon has gone up only $4 since mid Jan. still trending in the wrong direction though.
Adjusted for inflation though... it's probably like $3.72 Maybe next week it'll be like $3.71

source: I'm an accountant.

franc

Post by franc »

d4m10n wrote:Maybe that is so, but I don't post links to third party dox.

I'd appreciate knowing what rules you're playing by.
Please do Damo. I want to see the nonsense. This psycho latched onto me a while back. Please soil yourself some more.

You are a bad smell Damo, Like Zwan and the prune. You hang around because you can't resist.

You hang around because you have a needy ego.

You are a loser Damion. You need affirmation. I don't. I exist without you. I have integrity. I don't need to hide or censor or manipulate reality. You are jealous. This is why you hate me.