Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
Sunder

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by Sunder »

Sunder wrote:Here's a thing.

[youtube]KH26HU7JldA[/youtube]
Really encouraging people to watch this, but one thing that Johnson brings up is that historically eroding of due process has been a Republican phenomenon.

Now SJWs reflexively hate anything that carries the stink of Republican on it, so perhaps it would be a good idea to really hammer home how similar their approach is to the "tough on crime" anti-civil rights approach of so many conservative politicians.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Steersman wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote:I just finished reading most of the Jamila Bey comments (and reignited my extreme disdain for Nick Gotts and Nate Havens along the way). If one is in the mood for litmus tests, I offer this: can you articulate a secular argument against elective abortion (i.e., those that are not needed to save the life of the mother)? I'm not saying that you have to believe it, of course; I'm only asking if you can put into words a non-religious argument against abortion.
At the risk of jeopardizing the fate of untold numbers of poor, cute, defenseless kittens, you might take a look at this post (archived) from Myers where he thrashed poor Dave Silverman to within an inch of his life for having the temerity to suggest that "the case for abortion rights is 'maybe not as clean cut as school prayer, right to die, and gay marriage' ...."

There's also a link in the American Secular Census story to a Skepchick post by Sara Mowgli who confidently, and in a characteristically dogmatic fashion, asserts:
The supposed “secular arguments” against abortion are rooted in misogyny, a lack of understanding of science, and religious overtones.
In any case, and to address your question, while Matt Cavanaugh recently touched on the issue, I find it rather problematic and inconsistent that "we" can, in principle, condone the killing of a fetus right up to the moment of its birth, but will apparently charge with murder those killing it a moment or two afterwards. Seriously slippery slope methinks.
It makes sense to people who prioritize, over any & all other considerations, the right of bodily autonomy of the PCTP (Person Carrying The Pregnancy).

However, that slippery slope - determining exactly how far down the birth canal the baby can be before "terminating the pregnancy" (meaning ending its life) is considered infanticide/murder - was a difficulty 2 people faced on some video a while back (just under a year ago? something like that).

(I seem to recall it was an hour-long show w/ guests that took place not long after Hemant demonstrated Problematic Behavior by allowing a guest post on the secular pro-life position. I think Aron Ra was on that video, too, but was one of the people expressing a more nuanced "pro-choice" position. Anyone remember & have a link? It was discussed here.)

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 »

BoxNDox wrote:
Gefan wrote:I'm trying to work out what's going to happen when the inevitable finally occurs and Nec gets into an argument with Steersman.

My initial hypotheses include:

1. The Net crashes.
2. Time grinds to a halt.
3. Dear Leader's colon spontaneously twists into a noose and hangs itself.
I'm going with:

4. Heat death of the universe.
Actually cold death of the universe.

That's what entropy means. With every transaction involving energy some is lost in the process. It is true on a local as on a universal scale.

At some point in the distant future there will no longer be any energy to transfer although the total sum of the energy of the universe will be the same as it is now.

So you are no better than pointing at a snow-storm (or a bollock stupid Senator like "terror from the skies" Inhofe with a snowball) hacktivists like Hannity on Faux News and displaying that as evidence against global warming.

Just like creationists you too have fuck all idea what the laws of thermodynamics mean.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Nec_V20 wrote:

That's what entropy means. With every transaction involving energy some is lost in the process. It is true on a local as on a universal scale.

At some point in the distant future there will no longer be any energy to transfer although the total sum of the energy of the universe will be the same as it is now.

So you are no better than pointing at a snow-storm (or a bollock stupid Senator like "terror from the skies" Inhofe with a snowball) hacktivists like Hannity on Faux News and displaying that as evidence against global warming.

Just like creationists you too have fuck all idea what the laws of thermodynamics mean.
[youtube]xfJazUlNFO0[/youtube]

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

On the off-chance that wasn't a troll:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_death_of_the_universe

"Cold death" doesn't mean anything.

James Caruthers

https://twitter.com/GoodQuotesGuy

/pol/ is trolling social media with these.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Skep tickle wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote:I just finished reading most of the Jamila Bey comments (and reignited my extreme disdain for Nick Gotts and Nate Havens along the way). If one is in the mood for litmus tests, I offer this: can you articulate a secular argument against elective abortion (i.e., those that are not needed to save the life of the mother)? I'm not saying that you have to believe it, of course; I'm only asking if you can put into words a non-religious argument against abortion.
At the risk of jeopardizing the fate of untold numbers of poor, cute, defenseless kittens, you might take a look at this post (archived) from Myers where he thrashed poor Dave Silverman to within an inch of his life for having the temerity to suggest that "the case for abortion rights is 'maybe not as clean cut as school prayer, right to die, and gay marriage' ...."
In any case, and to address your question, while Matt Cavanaugh recently touched on the issue, I find it rather problematic and inconsistent that "we" can, in principle, condone the killing of a fetus right up to the moment of its birth, but will apparently charge with murder those killing it a moment or two afterwards. Seriously slippery slope methinks.
It makes sense to people who prioritize, over any & all other considerations, the right of bodily autonomy of the PCTP (Person Carrying The Pregnancy).
You realize of course that you're likely to be the proximate cause of some poor kitten getting prematurely "terminated"? ;-)

But yes, I quite agree that some, rather problematically, seem to insist on that right as some sort of an absolute.
Skep tickle wrote:(I seem to recall it was an hour-long show w/ guests that took place not long after Hemant demonstrated Problematic Behavior by allowing a guest post on the secular pro-life position. ....
Looks like an interesting post. Haven't read it all, but it kind of leaped out at me that the guest poster was arguing that Saint Hitchens ["peace be upon his name" ....] seemed to be leaning in the direction of the pro-life position.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Nec_V20 wrote:
BoxNDox wrote:
Gefan wrote:I'm trying to work out what's going to happen when the inevitable finally occurs and Nec gets into an argument with Steersman.

1. The Net crashes.
I'm going with:

Wrong, since cold is a subjective term, it is a meaningless term in thermodynamics. It is the nature of heat that kills the systems, since it will spread throughout a system until thermal equilibrium is established. That is why maximum entropy which all systems will reach at some point is called heat death. It is this property of heat that kills it.

I could be an asshole and say something like:
But you just messed up on the concept of cold so I won't be a likewise asshole.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Skep tickle wrote:The Daily Beast - An Atheist at Conservative Woodstock
So she is actually sticking her neck out to be heard in a hostile environment to promote atheism. That takes guts especially for a black female. But at FtB she is seen as a traitor to atheism. Disgusting.

We need more people like her.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

FWIW here's the Magic Sandwich show from 3/2014 that includes discussion of abortion:

A "top comment" from 3 months ago, from a PWFPN (person with female-presenting name):
I am certainly pro-choice, but Sarah {Moglia} and Courtney {Caldwell} don't appear to have any moral compass, particularly Sarah. As a vegan, she doesn't eat consume eggs since that is the destruction of a chicken embryo, but its OK to abort a viable fetus. I have to hand it to the rest of the panel for their patience with these two women.
As I recall, it wasn't just "OK to abort a viable fetus", one or both of them indicated it was okay to abort the fetus at any time until birth, except maybe not when it was in the birth canal, & with listeners getting the sense that they didn't have a clear dividing line in mind during delivery between "okay" and "not okay".

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 »

dog puke wrote:
Nec_V20 wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote:Grrr. My entire family was gassed by the Nazis.

ps. I'm less than 70 years old
Any time, any place you want to meet up face to face to repeat that and you will not be the one walking away.
The image which I am not allowed to reproduce reminds me of something which almost caused the complete bankruptcy of Microsoft.

Back in the day when Windows 3.0 was first released there was a lawsuit to recall every copy world wide because of three letters and those were:
NYC

What does NYC mean? Well the most famous recipient of that initialism (not acronym) is "New York City".

New York is the city with the biggest Jewish population in the world. There is no city in Israel with more Jews than New York.

Now if you type in NYC into any application (such as Notepad) and then convert it to the standard font "Wingdings" you end up with:

Skull&Crossbones, Star of David, Thumbs up.

The case when to the New York supreme court where it was dismissed because it could be argued that any agglomeration of letters when converted to a symbol font could an probably would cause inadvertent offence.

I am sure that you were only trying to take the piss out of me and not the family of my grandfather's two brothers who were a part of the "final solution".

I am also sure that you do not wish that my grandfather, and his daughter who was my mother, should have been included in that solution and that I am only alive because Hitler did not go far enough.

I really hope that you did not mean that.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Skep tickle wrote:FWIW here's the Magic Sandwich show from 3/2014 that includes discussion of abortion:

A "top comment" from 3 months ago, from a PWFPN (person with female-presenting name):
I am certainly pro-choice, but Sarah {Moglia} and Courtney {Caldwell} don't appear to have any moral compass, particularly Sarah. As a vegan, she doesn't eat consume eggs since that is the destruction of a chicken embryo, but its OK to abort a viable fetus. I have to hand it to the rest of the panel for their patience with these two women.
As I recall, it wasn't just "OK to abort a viable fetus", one or both of them indicated it was okay to abort the fetus at any time until birth, except maybe not when it was in the birth canal, & with listeners getting the sense that they didn't have a clear dividing line in mind during delivery between "okay" and "not okay".
I remember that show and the feelings of disgust from the other contributors was palpable. She was effectively saying infanticide was fine.

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Sunder wrote:On the off-chance that wasn't a troll:

Exactly. Heat is energy (in transition). Temperature is not.

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 »

MacGruberKnows wrote:
BoxNDox wrote:

1. The Net crashes.
I'm going with:

Nec_V20 wrote:Actually cold death of the universe.

Wrong, since cold is a subjective term, it is a meaningless term in thermodynamics. It is the nature of heat that kills the systems, since it will spread throughout a system until thermal equilibrium is established. That is why maximum entropy which all systems will reach at some point is called heat death. It is this property of heat that kills it.

Would you care to expound on your (no doubt profound) insight or just leave it at an ad hominem?

James Caruthers

Nec_V20 wrote:
The image which I am not allowed to reproduce reminds me of something which almost caused the complete bankruptcy of Microsoft.

Back in the day when Windows 3.0 was first released there was a lawsuit to recall every copy world wide because of three letters and those were:
NYC

What does NYC mean? Well the most famous recipient of that initialism (not acronym) is "New York City".

New York is the city with the biggest Jewish population in the world. There is no city in Israel with more Jews than New York.

Now if you type in NYC into any application (such as Notepad) and then convert it to the standard font "Wingdings" you end up with:

The case when to the New York supreme court where it was dismissed because it could be argued that any agglomeration of letters when converted to a symbol font could an probably would cause inadvertent offence.

I am sure that you were only trying to take the piss out of me and not the family of my grandfather's two brothers who were a part of the "final solution".

I am also sure that you do not wish that my grandfather, and his daughter who was my mother, should have been included in that solution and that I am only alive because Hitler did not go far enough.

[youtube]iHM_PHKpKyU[/youtube]

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Sunder wrote:On the off-chance that wasn't a troll:

Exactly. Heat is energy (in transition). Temperature is not.
Just before the pedants get in, transition = transfer.

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 »

[quote="dog puke"][/quote]

Is that a full endorsement of the "final solution" as it would (or should) have applied to me or were you just posting the graphical representation of "NYC" in the font wingdings?

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

I am adding Nec_V20 to my list of quotables that cause kitten death. Please note, however, that in honor of the above discussion, I will be putting these kittens in the microwave or out on the -5*F porch, depending on who wins the argument.

James Caruthers

Nec_V20 wrote:
Is that a full endorsement of the "final solution" as it would (or should) have applied to me or were you just posting the graphical representation of "NYC" in the font wingdings?
https://8ch.net/pol/src/1425241577769.jpg

[youtube]5OLuPNlOjGI[/youtube]

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

Nec_V20 wrote:
dog puke wrote:

Yes.

James Caruthers

So it looks like the recent rulings put the internet in the hands of the FCC?

Get ready for impending censorship.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Would you care to expound on your (no doubt profound) insight or just leave it at an ad hominem?
No expounding necessary. It is the nature of the transfers of heat that kills the system. It is the cause of the death. The resulting 'cold' is not the cause of death, it is the result.

Any more basic and I will have to try to find the crayon font.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Wait... starring who?

http://imgur.com/MSeIbrC.jpg

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

JackSkeptic wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:FWIW here's the Magic Sandwich show from 3/2014 that includes discussion of abortion:

I remember that show and the feelings of disgust from the other contributors was palpable. She was effectively saying infanticide was fine.
As somewhat of a clarification, I don't think that infanticide is necessarily a heinous crime. For instance, if the child is born badly deformed or missing a large chunk of its brain or nervous system. In which case that would seem to qualify as being charitable if not bestowing a blessing.

My point was largely that being born is somewhat of an arbitrary dividing line which seems to have been drawn in the sand largely because of ignorance and dogmatism. There might well be many other criteria that could move the line to a greater or lesser extent before - or after - the birth. Although the latter, to give Aneris (among others) a potential entrée, does broach the question of "useless eaters" ....

In any case, and somewhat generally, I think the issue highlights the problems of making categorical (dogmatic) statements as there are frequently "edge" cases that are potentially problematic, and quite damning of such positions.

Garlix

Post by Garlix »

Ape+lust wrote:Wait... starring who?

That explains the hair color. No we know where all the Prussian Blue has gone!

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Garlix wrote:

That explains the hair color. No we know where all the Prussian Blue has gone!
Look- she did that before she learned the truth about feminism. :hand:

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

New nickname for Twatson? Prussian Blue?

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

The more you wrestle with this issue the less clear things become. Especially when you realise that the core issue in ALL killings is the denial of future life, if you leave aside the emotional effect on those close to the victim. That effectively removes any objective moral distinction between killing in early term pregnancy and at any time after that. Positions on this issue are essentially values based.

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 »

James Caruthers wrote:
Nec_V20 wrote:

NYC

[youtube]iHM_PHKpKyU[/youtube]
Big swing and a miss there.

My grandfather had converted from Judaism in the early 1920's when he as the oldest sibling (his older brother had died in the WWI) was tasked with burying his mother and the rabbi refused to bury her according to Jewish rites because he considered her not to have been an observant enough Jew.

The rabbi literally said to my grandfather, "Who does not participate in the circus should not await the applause" (Wer den Zirkus nicht mitmacht brauch fuer den Beifall nicht zu sorgen).

My grandfather had dug the grave himself of his own hand as prescribed under Talmudic law. but he was left with a dead mother and a hole in the ground and nothing between her and their God.

My great grandmother had to work on the shabbat for instance because she had lost her husband in WWI and my grandfather as the oldest at that time was about 14 and he had a younger brother and sister which she had to feed.

A Lutheran minister approached my grandfather and said that he would be willing to bury my great grandmother according to Jewish rites an rituals because as he said, "God is one and he speaks through many" and knew my great grandmother as a good person.

My grandfather converted to the Lutheran faith a year or so later because the rabbi had caused such a schism in his faith.

Technically through matrilineal descent I am an Ashkenazi Jew because the woman my grandfather married, although professed Roman Catholic, was from a matrilineal jewish descent.

It is one of those, "once you sign up they have you forever" deals.

My grandmothers family had converted from Judaism because of the very same fanatical observance laws.

They liked God, they just couldn't be there for Him all the time at the whim of some rabbi.

I am German, but personally as a German Jews did unto me and my family long before my country did unto them.

Sure the obscenity of the Holocaust was a devastation, but I know of a 14 year old Jewish boy that could not get his mother buried in Germany because of Jewish religious zealotry. Which was more devastating to whom?

When you talk about trauma I remember when my grandfather died, at the funeral service my uncle telling me about a time when he, as a 12 year old at that time, getting the grown ups to make him collect rocks. They took him to an overhang of a temporary camp for those being transported onto their final destination, and then having a rock placed in his hand by a grown up and the hand propelled by that grown up onto the people fenced in but still in throwing range of that vantage point.

He had been told to throw the rock but he could not see why and the "adult" had put the rock in his hand and thrown it for him. To the day of his death he could not say whether he had hit and killed somebody or not.

I am an atheist, but I am not you. I won't endorse you nor will I embrace anyone else.

Accept me or reject me. The "other" side was at least honest - as were you - when they banned me. The only reason why I can still post here is because you are less fanatic than they are - you are not however any better.

You are as far as I can ascertain two sides of the same coin and what you want is some kind of observance without mentioning "God" but the mechanisms are the same.

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 »

dog puke wrote:
Nec_V20 wrote:
dog puke wrote:

Yes.
So all posting here are members of a Jew hating group?

Being against religion per se is not the same as what you are articulating.

You do realise that don't you?

Shatterface as Guest

Post by Shatterface as Guest »

I'm not even going to ask what you googled to stumble upon that pic.

Shatterface

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

KC Johnson wrote a short post about his lecture here: http://www.mindingthecampus.com/2015/02 ... -hecklers/

Some lovely bits:
An early mentor of mine on the issue of campus due process once commented that while the race/class/gender trinity dominates the contemporary academy, gender always trumps class, and race always trumps gender. That was true in the lacrosse case, when nearly a year after the lacrosse players’ party, a white Duke student named Katie Rouse said she had been raped by an African-American man at a party. (The suspect eventually pled guilty.) Not a single member of the Group of 88, the professors who had been so eager to proclaim the lacrosse players’ guilt when the accuser was a black woman, publicly spoke up on behalf of Rouse. Race trumped gender, even for these self-styled anti-rape faculty members.

piero

Post by piero »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: The more you wrestle with this issue the less clear things become. Especially when you realise that the core issue in ALL killings is the denial of future life, if you leave aside the emotional effect on those close to the victim. That effectively removes any objective moral distinction between killing in early term pregnancy and at any time after that. Positions on this issue are essentially values based.
I disagree. Future life matters only to those who know there could be one, not to the foetus, embryo or even newborn. In my opinion, hte relevant question is whether suffering occurs. An entity lacking the ability to understand that there is a future cannot suffer when that future is taken away.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

piero wrote:
ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: The more you wrestle with this issue the less clear things become. Especially when you realise that the core issue in ALL killings is the denial of future life, if you leave aside the emotional effect on those close to the victim. That effectively removes any objective moral distinction between killing in early term pregnancy and at any time after that. Positions on this issue are essentially values based.
I disagree. Future life matters only to those who know there could be one, not to the foetus, embryo or even newborn. In my opinion, hte relevant question is whether suffering occurs. An entity lacking the ability to understand that there is a future cannot suffer when that future is taken away.
So its fine to kill someone asleep or unconscious?

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

MacGruberKnows wrote:
Nec_V20 wrote:

Yup, exactly right. There is no "cold" in thermo. "Cold" is the experience of a low temperature.

As usual NEC can brag about how he got into MENSA, but he can't demonstrate any actual intelligence. He reminds me of Nerd of Redhead in some ways.

Stout

Post by Stout »

This is too funny

Myers has a post about a death metal remake of that Mary Poppins song whose name I can't be arsed to type out. So far we're 29 comments in and not one of the hypersensitive crybabies has commented on the blatant example of domestic violence at 1:39

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

Nec_V20 wrote:
dog puke wrote:
Nec_V20 wrote:

Yes.

Being against religion per se is not the same as what you are articulating.

You do realise that don't you?
http://i.imgur.com/oOaUJuG.png

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Nice article from Ron Liddle in The Spectator.
There is good news to be divined from this ludicrous spat, though. A time will come when all the competing tribes within that hideous thing ‘identity politics’ tear one another to pieces, and we can all get on with our lives and snigger at the carnage taking place stage left. The truth is, they really hate each other; within that dead-headed milieu there is an endless battle for the greatest sense of acquired victimhood. The paradigm may well be that they are all similarly oppressed by straight, male whitey’s cultural imperialism and horrible hegemony, but this is not how it actually works out in practice.

In practice it is a seething mass of people desperately trying to whine the loudest. The radical feminists loathe the trannies — or transgendered community, if you wish — and some of them are not too keen on homosexual men, either. Interlopers! Pretend wimmin! How dare you claim to have suffered as we have suffered? You do not know the meaning of suffering, you bed-wetters and screaming mimis. Check your privilege! The trannies, meanwhile, hate everyone with a sort of psychopathic rage. And then, when Labour talks about all-wimmin shortlists, it is the party’s ethnic minorities who complain that their people are, as a consequence, being hard done by (rightly, as it happens). Nor do the radical Muslims have much time for the LGBQT communities of course — or, for that matter, the radical feminists.

Attempts to find common ground founder time after time; there is always someone, somewhere, being terribly transgressed, being affronted, their sensibilities infracted and their human right to be a genuine victim, more of a victim than anyone else, made light of or just ignored.

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 »

piero wrote:
Fuck this for a bunch of Sundays.

The foetus is a parasite in the body of the female until it is squeezed out of her vagina. End of fucking story.

Until it is out there, slapped on the butt and crying it is not human.

Let's all of us just worship the blastocyst and condemn the neonate to a long lingering death through deprivation of societal care instead and make the mother responsible.

This is the sheerest hypocrisy possible.

As long as it is in the mother the foetus is a person and her exclusive responsibility that she cannot disassociate herself, after it is born, she still is not allowed to disassociate herself from it.

My kid died in the third month of pregnancy when my wife died in the car accident, so it isn't easy for me to say.

She had the kid growing inside her, but WE were their to bear the responsibility until our kid could make it. I said "For better or for worse" with my wife, but at any time before her being pregnant we could have walked away from each other. YOU CANNOT WALK AWAY FROM A CHILD.

A child is not a legal contract.

If you want to make a bearing to term of a pregnancy binding on a woman then make a binding societal agreement to support that child after it has left the vagina irrespective of the mother.

Stout

Post by Stout »

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... 46#p115614

This is just to weird. It almost looks like Atheism Plus global moderator Ronja AM is trying to whip up the plussers to go and harass a woman, Edwina Rogers on the Twitter. Now maybe I'm not up to speed on the latest SJ stuff, but the last time I checked, harassing women on the internet was supposed to be a bad thing.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

[youtube]8jEHPH30NVc[/youtube]

LOL

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 »

Old_ones wrote:
MacGruberKnows wrote:
Nec_V20 wrote:

Yup, exactly right. There is no "cold" in thermo. "Cold" is the experience of a low temperature.

As usual NEC can brag about how he got into MENSA, but he can't demonstrate any actual intelligence. He reminds me of Nerd of Redhead in some ways.
I was not the one who brought up "heat death" of the universe.

So you should go back and read it from the start instead of displaying your ignorance.

Walter Ego

Pre-Need Shopping

Post by Walter Ego »

The prices are high at this place! I think I'll go with cremation and a coffee can.
casket.jpg
(49.93 KiB) Downloaded 256 times

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Sunder wrote:
Sunder wrote:Here's a thing.

[youtube]KH26HU7JldA[/youtube]
Really encouraging people to watch this, but one thing that Johnson brings up is that historically eroding of due process has been a Republican phenomenon.

Now SJWs reflexively hate anything that carries the stink of Republican on it, so perhaps it would be a good idea to really hammer home how similar their approach is to the "tough on crime" anti-civil rights approach of so many conservative politicians.
Sunder, thanks for posting that. I echo your endorsement, would really recommend this video. I listened to the whole thing (& watched parts of it).

Not only was a really good talk, but he handled the detractors in the audience so well - politely but firmly - in what I can only desribe as a Nugentian approach :)

(Especially loved when he quoted one protestor's cited statistic to deflate the claim of one who asked a question - actually, read a statement from her phone - later.)

Thanks for the link below, too. He repeats there another good point he made in the video about erosion of due process.
Sunder wrote:KC Johnson wrote a short post about his lecture here: http://www.mindingthecampus.com/2015/02 ... -hecklers/

<snip>

Southern

Post by Southern »

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Stout wrote:http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... 46#p115614

This is just to weird. It almost looks like Atheism Plus global moderator Ronja AM is trying to whip up the plussers to go and harass a woman, Edwina Rogers on the Twitter. Now maybe I'm not up to speed on the latest SJ stuff, but the last time I checked, harassing women on the internet was supposed to be a bad thing.

Oh dear, the naivety of youth.

You must remember SJW Tenet #11: IT'S OKAY WHEN WE DO IT.

http://i.imgur.com/9rBAUvW.jpg

Walter Ego

Good To The Last Drop

Post by Walter Ego »

Found what I needed at Kroger.
51-irs2w2WL__SY355_.jpg
(25.93 KiB) Downloaded 242 times

KiwiInOz

Re: Pre-Need Shopping

Post by KiwiInOz »

Walter Ego wrote:The prices are high at this place! I think I'll go with cremation and a coffee can.
casket.jpg
Go for plastination. Then you could have an ongoing roll as a towel holder (if upright) or a hat stand (if horizontal)

Nec_V20

Re: Pre-Need Shopping

Post by Nec_V20 »

Walter Ego wrote:The prices are high at this place! I think I'll go with cremation and a coffee can.
casket.jpg

That reminds me of the "Cooperative Funeral Care" where I live.

First of all what always cracks me up is the word "Cooperative". I mean, really, they phone you up and say, "Sorry Tuesdays isn't good for us would you be willing to croak on Wednesday".

The best of the lot however has to be that they have a sign outside saying "Client Parking".

I mean:

A) I might not have a car

B) How the fuck, if I am am dead, will I actually be able to partake of their largesse?

James Caruthers

Nec_V20 wrote: Big swing and a miss there.

My grandfather had converted from Judaism in the early 1920's when he as the oldest sibling (his older brother had died in the WWI) was tasked with burying his mother and the rabbi refused to bury her according to Jewish rites because he considered her not to have been an observant enough Jew.

The rabbi literally said to my grandfather, "Who does not participate in the circus should not await the applause" (Wer den Zirkus nicht mitmacht brauch fuer den Beifall nicht zu sorgen).

My grandfather had dug the grave himself of his own hand as prescribed under Talmudic law. but he was left with a dead mother and a hole in the ground and nothing between her and their God.

My great grandmother had to work on the shabbat for instance because she had lost her husband in WWI and my grandfather as the oldest at that time was about 14 and he had a younger brother and sister which she had to feed.

A Lutheran minister approached my grandfather and said that he would be willing to bury my great grandmother according to Jewish rites an rituals because as he said, "God is one and he speaks through many" and knew my great grandmother as a good person.

My grandfather converted to the Lutheran faith a year or so later because the rabbi had caused such a schism in his faith.

Technically through matrilineal descent I am an Ashkenazi Jew because the woman my grandfather married, although professed Roman Catholic, was from a matrilineal jewish descent.

My grandmothers family had converted from Judaism because of the very same fanatical observance laws.

They liked God, they just couldn't be there for Him all the time at the whim of some rabbi.

I am German, but personally as a German Jews did unto me and my family long before my country did unto them.

Sure the obscenity of the Holocaust was a devastation, but I know of a 14 year old Jewish boy that could not get his mother buried in Germany because of Jewish religious zealotry. Which was more devastating to whom?

When you talk about trauma I remember when my grandfather died, at the funeral service my uncle telling me about a time when he, as a 12 year old at that time, getting the grown ups to make him collect rocks. They took him to an overhang of a temporary camp for those being transported onto their final destination, and then having a rock placed in his hand by a grown up and the hand propelled by that grown up onto the people fenced in but still in throwing range of that vantage point.

He had been told to throw the rock but he could not see why and the "adult" had put the rock in his hand and thrown it for him. To the day of his death he could not say whether he had hit and killed somebody or not.

I am an atheist, but I am not you. I won't endorse you nor will I embrace anyone else.

Accept me or reject me. The "other" side was at least honest - as were you - when they banned me. The only reason why I can still post here is because you are less fanatic than they are - you are not however any better.

You are as far as I can ascertain two sides of the same coin and what you want is some kind of observance without mentioning "God" but the mechanisms are the same.
[youtube]1eiPBgqPS5o[/youtube]

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Skep tickle wrote:Sunder, thanks for posting that.
I saw it in Mykeru's twitter feed. I think it's going to feature in his next vid.

James Caruthers

Nec_V20 wrote:
http://dc464.4shared.com/img/MkTZI4PW/s ... m-2383.jpg

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 »

James Caruthers wrote:
Nec_V20 wrote: Big swing and a miss there.

[youtube]1eiPBgqPS5o[/youtube]
Somehow I think Jean-Luc would not approve of your third-party expostulation.

Southern

Post by Southern »

James Caruthers wrote:
Nec_V20 wrote:
http://dc464.4shared.com/img/MkTZI4PW/s ... m-2383.jpg
http://memeshappen.com/media/created/r8lczn.jpg

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Lsuoma wrote:Nice article from Ron Liddle in The Spectator.
There is good news to be divined from this ludicrous spat, though. A time will come when all the competing tribes within that hideous thing ‘identity politics’ tear one another to pieces, and we can all get on with our lives and snigger at the carnage taking place stage left. ....

Attempts to find common ground founder time after time; there is always someone, somewhere, being terribly transgressed, being affronted, their sensibilities infracted and their human right to be a genuine victim, more of a victim than anyone else, made light of or just ignored.
Reminds me of penultimate scene (more or less) in Network where all of the "Judean People's Front" groups and their ilk are arguing over market share.

Steersman

Re: Good To The Last Drop

Post by Steersman »

Walter Ego wrote:Found what I needed at Kroger.
51-irs2w2WL__SY355_.jpg
:shock: :lol: "Rest in Peace" "Freshly roasted" :-)

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 »

James Caruthers wrote:
Nec_V20 wrote:
If you are going to quote then quote everything and not just the supposedly Jew-baiting bit.

I don't hate Jews and I don't love them either - I take them, as I do everyone else, on an individual basis.

Most of you here I will probably kick the shit out of if I ever meet up with you ftf. It is a case of mind over matter, I don't mind and you don't matter.

I will go to an atheist convention as an atheist, but you lot will go there and boast that you are "Pitters" and I will be in a pub and I will get you to throw the first blow and if you are lucky you will end up in hospital.

I'm OK with that.

Because I can counter-troll, but in real life that means you leave skin in the game ass-hole.

And before you start getting all kind of weird about it, that's not a threat. It's more like the Golden Rule - in reverse.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Stout wrote:http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... 46#p115614

Yea, she's kind of narrow-minded at the best of times: "four legs good, two legs bad" kind of thinking. Although I've argued that a more appropriate variation for SJWs and various "feminists" should be "two legs good, three legs bad" - so to speak.

But I kind of think that Benson might have a point or two as that group billing themselves as "thought leaders" looks a little pretentious at best.