Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by Bhurzum »

:lol:

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
deLurch wrote:
AsTheCrowFlies wrote:Congratulations Godfrey, you've made it to the big leagues !
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/bbc/115 ... n-air.html
Article wrote:“WHYS producers always do their best to check guests in a live programme that invites global discussion from listeners.”
Godfrey Elfwick Twitter Profile wrote:Godfrey Elfwick
@GodfreyElfwick
Demisexual genderqueer Muslim atheist. Literal good guy. Itinerant jongleur. Pronouns are Xir, Xirs Xirself. Filters life through the lens of minority issues.
The WHYS producers must be mentally retarded if they put their best effort into checking the guest.

Given that this has gone high profile, I wonder if the BBC will be less likely to bring people with retarded profiles or say absurd shit on the air to be interviewed.
She was even warned that Godfrey was a troll before the show went on air, and yet she dismissed it out of hand!

Why am I getting the feeling she has a degree in communications studies?
I get the feeling that it was all just a bit of fun for her, and that she didn't actually care that Godfrey was a troll. YMMV.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

:lol: very good sir.

Some Lurker

Post by Some Lurker »

KiwiInOz wrote:YMMV
Holy shit! Andrew just killed and replaced the anteater.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

rayshul wrote:[youtube]vFdTVMiD0UI[/youtube]
It is ironic, given the experiences this woman describes of her life, that SJWs aren't falling over themselves to wrap her in the warm safe cotton wool of their hearts. But no. There needs to be purification of the movement, and there will be casualties.

PS. rayshul, I am going to be so disappointed if you turn out to be a pasty white guy from Bumfluff on Avon, after your earmuffs statement.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Some Lurker wrote:
You stare into the abyss too long ....

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Some Lurker wrote:
You stare into the abyss too long ....
Nurse! I seem to be having an issue with my medication. More please.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Brive1987 wrote::lol: very good sir.
Hah! And again, thank you for the Twitter repost :D

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

KiwiInOz wrote:
rayshul wrote:[youtube]vFdTVMiD0UI[/youtube]
It is ironic, given the experiences this woman describes of her life, that SJWs aren't falling over themselves to wrap her in the warm safe cotton wool of their hearts. But no. There needs to be purification of the movement, and there will be casualties.

PS. rayshul, I am going to be so disappointed if you turn out to be a pasty white guy from Bumfluff on Avon, after your earmuffs statement.
They do not care about Women. They only care about telling everyone they care about Women.

Struth

@SarahLicity (Sarah Noble of the BlockBot)

Post by Struth »

paddybrown wrote:
Not to mention, if Encyclopedia Dramatica is right and Sarah Noble is the obsessive Wikipedian Sceptre, she's certainly a geek and can't be far from the autistic spectrum.
http://i.imgur.com/dBjysuL.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/qnjipZj.jpg

tina

Post by tina »

Attachments
RC4.JPG
(18.8 KiB) Downloaded 287 times

KenD

Post by KenD »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Any time someone sends a comment Carrier disagrees with, chances are they get one or more of 3 stock comments
1. you are an MRA or deluded by MRA propaganda
Quite a few of the people I've seen dismissed as MRAs (as if that automatically debunks their argument) actually identify as feminist, or have simply quoted from the wrong kind of feminist.

Carrier has written a dozen or more blog posts about feminism and its importance in the atheist community, but can anyone actually work out how he defines feminism, and what specifically you need to believe to be a "true feminist" in his eyes?

He's sometimes quoted the "feminism=equality" dictionary definition, and portrayed respect for women's choices as an inherent part of feminism (mainly when portraying anti-feminists as all narrow minded conservative misogynists). But when people have brought up some of the more extreme radicals, and pointed out that they explicitly reject equality, and condemn women's choices they disagree with, Carrier has argued that people are making a "no true Scotsman" argument. He may disagree with their views, but he still views them as legitimate feminists, and now and then he's linked to some of the worst radfem loons to back up his feminist arguments.

Based on that you'd think that he accepted anyone who chose to use the label as a true feminist, but when people come along and quote feminists like CH Sommers, she's labelled an anti-feminist, and they're accused of being taken in by an MRA fraud. Being a deranged bile spewing bigot, and even rejecting the core "equality" definition of feminism, doesn't stop you from being a Carrier approved feminist, but no true feminist would go off message on "facts of feminism" like the wage gap and rape culture.

What's really weird though, is that Carrier has brought up other libertarian feminists like Wendy McElroy when talking about how varied and inclusive feminism is. Her views are very similar to those of Sommers -- views that Carrier claims are MRA anti-feminism -- yet she's used as an example of a real feminist when it suits his argument.

If Carrier has any kind of consistent and logical position on feminism, I can't work out what it is.

Here's an interesting example of Carrier logic when it comes to identifying true feminists:
Carrier.jpg
(63.3 KiB) Downloaded 289 times
He linked to a rather oddball radical feminist's blog as evidence that CH Sommers was really an MRA, and somehow the fact that her anti-trans stance makes her a "shitty feminist" (who amusingly calls PZ Myers an MRA too), actually gives her more credibility to judge the feminism of Sommers.

And this is someone who lectures other people on logic and critical thinking...

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

What happened to Gumby and Robokitty?

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

I wish I knew. I think the Kitty posted a short farewell and left for personal reasons of a fair amount of hostility towards Kitty's otherkinesque stance as a Kitty.

Gumby, I think, just got kind of fed up with what he considered to be too much infighting and nitpicking. I think; I'm note sure about that.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

DaveDodo007 wrote:What happened to Gumby and Robokitty?
He disappeared about when Mykeru flounced, and perhaps delivered the last nudge which teetered him m over the precipice. Probably the last straw of what JG mentions above.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

(He being Gumby.)

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Oh, look! It's my first Slymepit anniversary.

CaptainFluffyBunny

fuzzy wrote:Oh, look! It's my first Slymepit anniversary.
Happy anniversary. I have enjoyed your posts and especially your shoops.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Robokitty (or someone using that 'nym) posted recently in the comments at Nugent's.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

John Greg wrote:I wish I knew. I think the Kitty posted a short farewell and left for personal reasons of a fair amount of hostility towards Kitty's otherkinesque stance as a Kitty.

Gumby, I think, just got kind of fed up with what he considered to be too much infighting and nitpicking. I think; I'm note sure about that.
Robokitty got trolled a fair bit, but didn't help herself much.

Infighting comes and goes. It's a fairly open place so it tends to get forgotten quickly.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Tribble wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:@Skep Tickle

The following had my eyes bulging:

From :http://www.michaelnugent.com/2015/04/17 ... st-smears/
where until recently pregnant women in hospitals had their pelvises broken without their consent in order to facilitate Catholic theology
I found a reference here:

http://archive.org/stream/745914-bodily ... t_djvu.txt
Several decades were to elapse before many women finally understood
that their pelvises had been broken. It was as though these were secret
operations, not to be disclosed to the patient. Was it because the
surgery was so aberrant that it could not be revealed?
Were you, or anyone else aware of this? Quite frankly I had no idea.

What the ever living FUCK?
It's done in-lieu of a Cesarean for difficult child-births. It doesn't scar the womb. Like Cesareans, it has its downside. It's more common in Catholic countries.
I read about it last night, after reading about it in the comments at Nugent's blog.

I'd heard of the procedure but as something horribly old-fashioned, wasn't aware it had been in use in modern times in a developed country, and without not only consent but apparently often even the knowledge of the women on whom it was done. :shock:

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Oh my, Godfrey has gone global.
That's it, he's gone from us now. We will be reduced to muttering 'I knew him before he was a black woman muslim' into the dregs of a pint when he pops up on the bar telly hosting Eurovision.

AsTheCrowFlies

Post by AsTheCrowFlies »

HunnyBunny wrote:Oh my, Godfrey has gone global.

Not to mention bilingual.

http://hoycinema.abc.es/noticias/201504 ... 91807.html

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

AsTheCrowFlies wrote:

So, Godfrewy Elfwick is going to be more famous than Peez and Watson combined? That has to burn.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Awright fuzzy, congratulations! A coffee for you:

http://imgur.com/I0T2iE7.png

To another year of baboonery and shoopin'! :dance:

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Is it just me or is anyone else thinking that since MN started getting hundreds of replies on threads that got pitters involved bloggers at ftb have cottoned on are doing the same thing? That is, the pit is now being used for thread padding at these low viewer sites?

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

MacGruberKnows wrote:Is it just me or is anyone else thinking that since MN started getting hundreds of replies on threads that got pitters involved bloggers at ftb have cottoned on are doing the same thing? That is, the pit is now being used for thread padding at these low viewer sites?
I hope that Ashley will be getting a bigger slice of the FTB revenue pie now that she has mastered click-baiting.

CaptainFluffyBunny

MacGruberKnows wrote:Is it just me or is anyone else thinking that since MN started getting hundreds of replies on threads that got pitters involved bloggers at ftb have cottoned on are doing the same thing? That is, the pit is now being used for thread padding at these low viewer sites?
Ask D4m10n.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

That's it, he's gone from us now. We will be reduced to muttering 'I knew him before he was a black woman muslim' into the dregs of a pint when he pops up on the bar telly hosting Eurovision.
Badger3k wrote:
AsTheCrowFlies wrote:

So, Godfrewy Elfwick is going to be more famous than Peez and Watson combined? That has to burn.
Add Africa to the list of continents where news outlets have picked up the story:
http://www.nigeriadailynews.com/news/wo ... fwick.html

conch2o

Post by conch2o »

Congrats, your shoops are subtle and hilarious.

conch2o

Post by conch2o »

And Another Lurker?

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Skep tickle wrote:
snip evidence of world domination

Add Africa to the list of continents where news outlets have picked up the story:
http://www.nigeriadailynews.com/news/wo ... fwick.html
Godfrey Elfwick, First horseman of the Trollocalypse.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

AsTheCrowFlies wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/npThRCz.png
:clap: :dance:

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

KenD wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:Any time someone sends a comment Carrier disagrees with, chances are they get one or more of 3 stock comments
Quite a few of the people I've seen dismissed as MRAs (as if that automatically debunks their argument) actually identify as feminist, or have simply quoted from the wrong kind of feminist.

Carrier has written a dozen or more blog posts about feminism and its importance in the atheist community, but can anyone actually work out how he defines feminism, and what specifically you need to believe to be a "true feminist" in his eyes?

He's sometimes quoted the "feminism=equality" dictionary definition, and portrayed respect for women's choices as an inherent part of feminism (mainly when portraying anti-feminists as all narrow minded conservative misogynists). But when people have brought up some of the more extreme radicals, and pointed out that they explicitly reject equality, and condemn women's choices they disagree with, Carrier has argued that people are making a "no true Scotsman" argument. He may disagree with their views, but he still views them as legitimate feminists, and now and then he's linked to some of the worst radfem loons to back up his feminist arguments.

Based on that you'd think that he accepted anyone who chose to use the label as a true feminist, but when people come along and quote feminists like CH Sommers, she's labelled an anti-feminist, and they're accused of being taken in by an MRA fraud. Being a deranged bile spewing bigot, and even rejecting the core "equality" definition of feminism, doesn't stop you from being a Carrier approved feminist, but no true feminist would go off message on "facts of feminism" like the wage gap and rape culture.

What's really weird though, is that Carrier has brought up other libertarian feminists like Wendy McElroy when talking about how varied and inclusive feminism is. Her views are very similar to those of Sommers -- views that Carrier claims are MRA anti-feminism -- yet she's used as an example of a real feminist when it suits his argument.

If Carrier has any kind of consistent and logical position on feminism, I can't work out what it is.

Here's an interesting example of Carrier logic when it comes to identifying true feminists:
Carrier.jpg
He linked to a rather oddball radical feminist's blog as evidence that CH Sommers was really an MRA, and somehow the fact that her anti-trans stance makes her a "shitty feminist" (who amusingly calls PZ Myers an MRA too), actually gives her more credibility to judge the feminism of Sommers.

Mancheeze is Diana Boston aka Sael Palani. She is a complete bitch. Scented Nectar has had a few run-ins with her.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Looks to me like a full court press with Peez egging them on. No rest until the Slymepit and AI are indistinguishable.

Have you ever heard PZ talk about any agitating he did as a young man? I haven't. As far as I know, PZ kept hunkered down with his nose to the grind until he made tenure in the mid-aughts. Then he unleashed his inner asshole, when he was safe and secure. Yet he's got young people like Ashley and Alex doing his dirty work, with apparently little thought to how it might affect their career prospects.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Ken D wrote:
He is consistent in that anyone that disagrees in his definition of feminism is a anti-feminist, MRA, etc. is evil and a non-feminist.
And possibly a neocon, libertarian too. I think there is a mathematical formula that confirm that?
Probably if you have to ask that question you are a misogynist/ anti-feminist. :drool:

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

John Greg wrote:I wish I knew. I think the Kitty posted a short farewell and left for personal reasons of a fair amount of hostility towards Kitty's otherkinesque stance as a Kitty.
Skep tickle wrote:Robokitty (or someone using that 'nym) posted recently in the comments at Nugent's.
I'm not here as much mostly because the thread was moving too fast during Avigate for me to keep up, and that was indeed me on Nugent's.

Shatterface as Guest

Post by Shatterface as Guest »

It's one of the reasons I won't participate in the discussion at FTB.

The other being their moderating.

Shatterface

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Michael Nugent wrote:Dear Ashley,

Thank you for your open letter. I understand your feelings after waiting a week without a response from me to your last post. I’ve now been waiting three months without a response from the manager of your blog network, Ed Brayton, to an email about the network’s oversight mechanisms.

[...]
:lol:

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

I'm not here as much mostly because the thread was moving too fast during Avigate for me to keep up, and that was indeed me on Nugent's.[/quote]

Good to hear that your circuits are still pulsing.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Ape+lust wrote:
Looks to me like a full court press with Peez egging them on. No rest until the Slymepit and AI are indistinguishable.

Have you ever heard PZ talk about any agitating he did as a young man? I haven't. As far as I know, PZ kept hunkered down with his nose to the grind until he made tenure in the mid-aughts. Then he unleashed his inner asshole, when he was safe and secure. Yet he's got young people like Ashley and Alex doing his dirty work, with apparently little thought to how it might affect their career prospects.
It is fucking with their career prospects, especially when people get a little perspective and look back with amused horror at "trigger warnings" and "rape culture." It will likely look the same way in the future as radical hippy culture does now. What is troubling is their grim willingness to take down a decent guy (not without his faults; he was way late to this party) and drag a needed organization through the mud to further their narcissistic, petty goals.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Now Elfwick's gone and made it to The Times. :o

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/arts/tv-r ... 416609.ece

It's paywalled, but you kinda know the gist.

Struth

Post by Struth »

KenD wrote:

Carrier.jpg

He has to be a Poe.
I tried (but failed) to mirror the screenshot to a 3rd party host, for the benefit of our perusing guests (including Mr Shatterface).

Richard Carrier is such a noble feminist.

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

He's back. Livestream of MisterMetokur (formerly InternetAristocrat):

[youtube]Hz9tHpIOKiA[/youtube]

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

The guy should know better than to drunk stream by now.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Pitters who are in the Vancouver, BC area and who are sci-fi fans may want to know that the movie Sunshine is on this evening [9:00 PM PST].

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Really?

Post by Really? »

It makes total sense that Carrier thinks he's shooting brain cells instead of sperm into his many girlfriends. It would also explain why he doesn't have many brain cells left.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

fuzzy wrote:
He disappeared about when Mykeru flounced, and perhaps delivered the last nudge which teetered him m over the precipice. Probably the last straw of what JG mentions above.
I chatted briefly with Ol' Gumbers recently. Don't expect him back anytime soon.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Why is the cannon firing scrotums????

(Granted Carrier himself is pretty much a scrotum)

Darth Cynic

Post by Darth Cynic »

Atheist Ireland goes on record as putting distance between itself and Little Paul over his unapologetic behaviour. Independent sources such as Hemant Mehta, JT Eberhard and the Secular Policy Institute amongst others have echoed these sentiments or understood why Atheist Ireland was doing what it was doing regards Little Paul.

Now there's been quite the rally in Little Paul's defence, however, is any of it from a source that isn't FfTB* or a well known buddy like Skepchick? Has there been any relatively independent defence of Little Paul or is it limited to the usual suspects?

* - The scale of FfTB's Little Paul defence should be embarrassing to them, they could at least try to make it look like it isn't a concerted, organised effort to defend Little Paul's honor merely because he's one of them.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

[quote="Darth Cynic"][/quote]

You aren't, by any chance, related to Dark Raider (or Jeff Vader, for that matter)?

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Darth Cynic wrote:
You aren't, by any chance, related to Dark Raider (or Jeff Vader, for that matter)?
For those who haven't heard, Jeff Vader's married now.
http://www.methodshop.com/picts/starwar ... walker.jpg

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Darth Cynic wrote:Atheist Ireland goes on record as putting distance between itself and Little Paul over his unapologetic behaviour. Independent sources such as Hemant Mehta, JT Eberhard and the Secular Policy Institute amongst others have echoed these sentiments or understood why Atheist Ireland was doing what it was doing regards Little Paul.

Now there's been quite the rally in Little Paul's defence, however, is any of it from a source that isn't FfTB* or a well known buddy like Skepchick? Has there been any relatively independent defence of Little Paul or is it limited to the usual suspects?

* - The scale of FfTB's Little Paul defence should be embarrassing to them, they could at least try to make it look like it isn't a concerted, organised effort to defend Little Paul's honor merely because he's one of them.
relatively independent: http://www.secularwoman.org/where-we-st ... riorities/

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Skep tickle wrote:
Darth Cynic wrote:Atheist Ireland goes on record as putting distance between itself and Little Paul over his unapologetic behaviour. Independent sources such as Hemant Mehta, JT Eberhard and the Secular Policy Institute amongst others have echoed these sentiments or understood why Atheist Ireland was doing what it was doing regards Little Paul.

relatively independent: http://www.secularwoman.org/where-we-st ... riorities/
I wouldn't call 'Secular Woman' relatively independent. It's basically just Svan and her friends.
We all know who the usual suspects are and we have seen little evidence that anyone outside that group is leaping in to defend Peezus.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Skep tickle wrote:relatively independent: http://www.secularwoman.org/where-we-st ... riorities/
"Comments closed" - i.e., shut up and listen (while we make false claims)

CaptainFluffyBunny

Billie from Ockham wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:relatively independent: http://www.secularwoman.org/where-we-st ... riorities/
"Comments closed" - i.e., shut up and listen (while we make false claims)
Maybe they just didn't want it to be a haven for rapists. Goodness, wouldn't want to give haven to rapists. No siree bob.

Judge Fudge

Post by Judge Fudge »

murtzuphlus wrote:
Jan Steen wrote: Do we see a pattern here? Providing citations which, when checked, do not say what he claims they say. This kind of dishonesty would be career suicide to any professional researcher.

Not to Carrier, of course, because he has no career in the first place. And to me that's not surprising.
Sorry, but that is bollocks. You are using standard quibble amongst historians to back up a claim that the main conclusion is wrong. Note they are debating about texts written several hundred years after the the alleged event.
O'Neil is like the mirror of Carrier, except he's out to prove the opposite, and those that disagree with Jesus being an Historical Figure are evil, extremist Cranks.

Great quote from a poster from this page (the greatest thread on HJ vs. Mythicism on the Internet, at least by volume?)
http://www.rationalskepticism.org/chris ... -4060.html
This debate always goes the same way; the <B>Mythicists demand hard evidence, and the proponents of a historical Jesus demand credentials. Neither side of the debate is able to satisfy any real burden of proof/B>, and the evidences for either proposal are so limited and ambiguous that your opinion is not likely to change when confronted by them<.

dogen

Post by dogen »

England to New Zealand >> Hong Kong to Poland. Eat shit and die, Richard Carrier!