Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
franc

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by franc »

John Greg wrote:franc said:
There were several projects that died in the bucket, one that came to semi-fruition, Pawrongula [sic]. When I first floated the idea here, all I got was shit talk and nay-saying from the loudest wannabe celebrity blabbermouths here. Thankfully, a few of the humbler regulars here got on board and we made it a semi-usable resource - bit it's still only 10% of what it could have been.
Yes, Phawrongula really could have been a sensational, highly usable, and critically successful resource, history file, and so on. But, well, it's a lot of work, and, well, I'm old, lazy, and tempermental.

That's my excuse.

Seriously though, it is not as straight forward as it should/could be when it comes to creating and editing the entries/articles ... but that's probably just being whiney, really.

franc, did you really get a lot of puchback about it? I don't recall that. Was I one of them?
No, you were actually one of the people that didn't think I was an asshole and said as much. Trying to get this hellhole constructive is... fucking trying. I was persona non grata for a long time. Thanks to our North American ustase. I only got supported by euro-wogs, asian trash and niggers. But that is the whole story of atheism/skepticism right there. Lilly white Mac using boy/girls RESENT constructive action. Just like those they hate.

Wild Zontargs

Post by Wild Zontargs »

Lsuoma wrote:Sir Tim Hunt resigns from UCL over "sexist comments".
A Nobel laureate has resigned from his position as honorary professor at a UK university after he made comments about the "trouble with girls" in science.
Yep, because the world is totally a better place now that he has resigned.

franc

Post by franc »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I really liked Phawrongula and the way it was shaping up. I wish I could have contributed a bit more than just a few comments, but I'm total shit at all those wiki things.

Maybe it would be a good idea, what with all the new Pitters and stuff, to get it going again. Like, create specific articles based on the well-documented FTB/SJW bullshit we have here on separate threads?

I'm not quite sure in what capacity I could help, but I'll try if it goes on.
Yeah well, this is how #gamergate makes us look like useless asswipes -

http://gamergate.me/

That is what phawrongula COULD HAVE been but for the hipster Mac user contingent here shooting every constructive idea out of the water.

John D

Post by John D »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Dick Carrier claims he will play "board games" with new supporters of Secular Students.

I think his offer is a PUA coded signal ...

http://i.imgur.com/TXBwEIZ.jpg
Is Twister considered a board game?
Twister definitely falls into the "party game" category.

party game = Pictionary

board game = Monopoly

but.... many people use the term boardgame to mean any game that is not a sport.

PS - darts is a sport.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Wild Zontargs wrote:
A Nobel laureate has resigned from his position as honorary professor at a UK university after he made comments about the "trouble with girls" in science.
I don't think he should've resigned even though I thought his remarks were gone deaf and dumb, but does an "honorary professor" actually do anything?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Darth Cynic wrote:
Tribble wrote:It's not that hard to figure out. People tend to play their race and gender.
My first play-through of games like Fallout and Elder Scrolls iterations and I play characters that look like me or an idealised version of me and as a tank.
In Clue, I always play Ms. Scarlett. Cuz she's a privileged, white racist just like me.

Here's an idealized version of me as a tank:
tarkus.jpg
(236 KiB) Downloaded 123 times

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nerd is now a christian psychoanalyst, sitting back in his chair with fingers steepled under his chin, dispensing priceless biblical wisdom to those who have yet to learn how to follow The Path:

http://i.imgur.com/OFNNTJ2.png

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I can't be bothered to check, but one question is whether Nerd also used the label "white male" instead of, for example, "male white." Whatever you leave for last - and is, therefore, the noun, instead of an adjective - is linguistically the most important, suggesting that it is psychologically the most important. My guess is that Nerd does this, too, and might want to meditate on this, as well.

franc

Post by franc »

James Caruthers wrote:https://www.patreon.com/sargon?ty=h
https://www.patreon.com/MundaneMatt?ty=h

Explain to me the benefit of this^ to gamers as a consumer group.
Explain to me the benefit of your moral highground whilst doing fuck all yourself?

Slag #gamergate. Fine. But they have not only thrown a spanner into the SJW engine, they are making it catch fire.

What have you done?

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

James Caruthers wrote:
franc wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:Is it really so hard to understand that Twitter hashtag "activism" is exactly the shit that we here on the Slymepit mock SJWs for? It never accomplishes anything and the reason people like MundaneMatt and Mercedes do it is to grow their own brands.
As opposed to the 'pit which is 100% non-slacktivist? *Snort*. There were several projects that died in the bucket, one that came to semi-fruition, Pawrongula. When I first floated the idea here, all I got was shit talk and nay-saying from the loudest wannabe celebrity blabbermouths here. Thankfully, a few of the humbler regulars here got on board and we made it a semi-usable resource - bit it's still only 10% of what it could have been. This is where #gamergate shits all over atheists and shows them up for the spineless, uncritical, apathetic, lentil munching "don't be a dick"-ers that they are - and at this point in time, I think we got precisely what we deserved. I oh so wish atheists had gamers' backbones when the first of this shit began its pogrom back ~2009.

Say what you will about Carrera, but everyone in #gamergate knows their role. She does the publicity and eyecandy - though that is a bit dismissive as she does a whole lot more, like the Kluwe smackdown. If you want to piss on her, you may as well piss on Milo/@nero as well, because he is a fag version of Mercedes. For that matter, Christina Hoff Sommers can also be accused for riding #gamergate of personal benefit.

Get off your fucking pedestal. #Gamergate shows in flashing neon why it is succeeding while atheists mewled like pathetic babies and let the Watsonistas stomp all over them.

And its a more than just a bit hypocritical when Carrera bashers accuse SJWs of this out if the other side of their mouths.
https://www.patreon.com/sargon?ty=h

I already do activism to support the goals in gaming that I want. Know what it is? I don't buy games from companies I don't like, AKA a boycott.

All GG ever had to do was organize boycotts and write letters to advertisers. They did some of this. Then they got derailed by bullshit hashtag activism, shitty youtube internet celebrity drama wars and ebegging.

You have me confused with the do-nothing pitters, which I am not. Although I am lazy, but that's different. I absolutely support doing something, which is WHY I am pissed off at gamergate. They're all blather and "pay my bills" and no action.
The war analogy in culture war is an apt one, and Gamergate is roughly a zillion times better in the propoganda and morale-building departments than atheism. Mercedes is a part of that and I like her for it. If she gets a financial reward I'm okay with that as well.

She does her research. She contributes to the group in a meaningful way via debates and interviews, and she has a successful day job (unlike some SJW slacktivists we could all name). I really can't see what the problem here is.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Darth Cynic wrote:
Tribble wrote:It's not that hard to figure out. People tend to play their race and gender.
My first play-through of games like Fallout and Elder Scrolls iterations and I play characters that look like me or an idealised version of me and as a tank.
In Clue, I always play Ms. Scarlett. Cuz she's a privileged, white racist just like me.

Here's an idealized version of me as a tank:
tarkus.jpg
I thought your idealized version was this:

http://www.insidesocialgames.com/wp-con ... e-Gaga.jpg

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

franc wrote:
John Greg wrote:franc said:
There were several projects that died in the bucket, one that came to semi-fruition, Pawrongula [sic]. When I first floated the idea here, all I got was shit talk and nay-saying from the loudest wannabe celebrity blabbermouths here. Thankfully, a few of the humbler regulars here got on board and we made it a semi-usable resource - bit it's still only 10% of what it could have been.
Yes, Phawrongula really could have been a sensational, highly usable, and critically successful resource, history file, and so on. But, well, it's a lot of work, and, well, I'm old, lazy, and tempermental.

That's my excuse.

Seriously though, it is not as straight forward as it should/could be when it comes to creating and editing the entries/articles ... but that's probably just being whiney, really.

franc, did you really get a lot of puchback about it? I don't recall that. Was I one of them?
No, you were actually one of the people that didn't think I was an asshole and said as much. Trying to get this hellhole constructive is... fucking trying. I was persona non grata for a long time. Thanks to our North American ustase. I only got supported by euro-wogs, asian trash and niggers. But that is the whole story of atheism/skepticism right there. Lilly white Mac using boy/girls RESENT constructive action. Just like those they hate.
After skep got doxxed and the debate that followed I realized getting upset over atheism inaction is a waste of time. Better to just announce your plan, invite people to join, and ignore anyone who doesn't show up to help. The pit will never unify on anything other than a loathing of Myers

John D

Post by John D »

Wild Zontargs wrote:
Haha. Another big "win" for women in science. A prominent scientist makes a comment about women crying.... millions of women "cry" on the internet about his comment. He apologizes thus proving that women "cry". I am ashamed that there are so many smart men who do not know how to play this game with the "weaker" sex. I only wish the guy would have told his critics to go fuck themselves.... but no... he is actually a "gentleman" and feels ashamed for having mistreated a lady.

In my experience, about half the women I work with have cried in the office. I know of no man that has ever cried. When women are frustrated by how something is going many of them end up crying. It is really tricky to deal with. I usually say "I am so sorry you are upset. Would you like to talk about it later?" This usually gets them to stop. I don't think they are being intentionally manipulative. Hell, men can be just as manipulative as women. I just think it is something men are not trained to deal with.

I just love how everyone picks on the comments of a 72 year old lab scientist. Haha.

As I have stated in a prior post. I am becoming ever more apathetic about the world. It is just super fun to watch.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

And regarding the m drive. Yeah. I'm psyched, as NASA seems to have admitted "yeah it works, but it shouldn't, and it makes no fucking sense"

franc

Post by franc »

jet_lagg wrote:The war analogy in culture war is an apt one, and Gamergate is roughly a zillion times better in the propoganda and morale-building departments than atheism. Mercedes is a part of that and I like her for it. If she gets a financial reward I'm okay with that as well.

She does her research. She contributes to the group in a meaningful way via debates and interviews, and she has a successful day job (unlike some SJW slacktivists we could all name). I really can't see what the problem here is.
What this cunt said by a zillion.

Those that can, do. Those that can't, nitpick. North american disease. Drown everything in a bucket whilst sipping a soy latte and claiming moral superiority.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

franc wrote: As opposed to the 'pit which is 100% non-slacktivist? *Snort*. There were several projects that died in the bucket, one that came to semi-fruition, Pawrongula. When I first floated the idea here, all I got was shit talk and nay-saying from the loudest wannabe celebrity blabbermouths here. Thankfully, a few of the humbler regulars here got on board and we made it a semi-usable resource - bit it's still only 10% of what it could have been. This is where #gamergate shits all over atheists and shows them up for the spineless, uncritical, apathetic, lentil munching "don't be a dick"-ers that they are - and at this point in time, I think we got precisely what we deserved. I oh so wish atheists had gamers' backbones when the first of this shit began its pogrom back ~2009.
I don't think anyone but Myerku claimed the Pit was anything other than half-assed lampoonery (though several Pitizens have turned out some valuable blog posts, timelines, compilations of links, etc., not to mention the Avi exposé.) But goading the Plussers into revealing their true, nasty selves to the world has been our one, true achievement.

For some time, I've been interested in doing a virtual SlymeCon, a la FTBCon, except not by gonks, fools, and liars. There's a bunch of informed, educated & experienced folks here, who could speak on a variety of A/S & science issues. We also have some video editing talent on board. I envision 20-30 minute taped presentations uploaded to a dedicated youtube site or web page. It could be an annual or bi-annual thing, or just an open-ended project ("the undead con").

I could contribute one or two videos, on the historicity of Jesus and on woo in the horse industry. I'd also be willing to work on project management & trafficking.

I'm serious about this, so anyone interested PM me with thoughts & suggestions.

x_?_x

Post by x_?_x »

franc wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I really liked Phawrongula and the way it was shaping up. I wish I could have contributed a bit more than just a few comments, but I'm total shit at all those wiki things.

Maybe it would be a good idea, what with all the new Pitters and stuff, to get it going again. Like, create specific articles based on the well-documented FTB/SJW bullshit we have here on separate threads?

I'm not quite sure in what capacity I could help, but I'll try if it goes on.
Yeah well, this is how #gamergate makes us look like useless asswipes -

http://gamergate.me/

That is what phawrongula COULD HAVE been but for the hipster Mac user contingent here shooting every constructive idea out of the water.
I saw the Zoë Post here, first, back in August of '14. I signed up here so I could get away from #GamerGate.

The only comment I'll add on the specific website referenced: gg.me - is that the website in question has been an unending source of turmoil, strife and drama since it was created. It'd be nice to have a sort of "FTB.me" website, but the internal politics of #GamerGate can be as complex and shifting as the mod-status of the Atheism+ boards.

franc

Post by franc »

jet_lagg wrote:After skep got doxxed and the debate that followed I realized getting upset over atheism inaction is a waste of time. Better to just announce your plan, invite people to join, and ignore anyone who doesn't show up to help. The pit will never unify on anything other than a loathing of Myers
So give up and go home. Your attitude is why we are in the toilet and #gamergate goes from strength to strength.

http://blog.cricpa.com/wp-content/uploa ... -Image.jpg

dogen

Post by dogen »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:Regarding Nye's lightsail experiment: is anyone else super excited about the potential of the M drive? I'm trying not to because no one has a good explanation of how it seems to defy known physics, but it's been replicated enough to make me think it could be real.
As a young teen, I remember reading something about using solar winds as well as photons to propel such device. It was all in the domain of speculations, but I'm not sure it actually defies known physics. I'm too busy munching crayons to check it out right now.
The EM drive(accidentally left the E off) uses microwaves in a resonant cavity and some how propels itself without any reaction mass. So while it requires a power source to generate the microwaves( solar, reactor, etc...)it doesn't require propellant.
The waves themselves can be the reaction mass, since they carry momentum. But I can't imagine this being useful.

Interesting factoid: over its hydrogen burning lifetime, the Sun will lose more mass via radiation than via its wind.

katamari Damassi

franc wrote:

Explain to me the benefit of your moral highground whilst doing fuck all yourself?

Slag #gamergate. Fine. But they have not only thrown a spanner into the SJW engine, they are making it catch fire.

What have you done?
Franc- don't you think there's a difference between SJW take over attempts in gaming versus the atheist/skeptic movement?
No disrespect intended towards #gamergate intended, but gaming is a profit driven industry that's going to cater to its target demographic(not SJWs), so SJWs were unlikely to get much traction there anyway, hashtag activism or not.
Whereas the A/S movement is an outreach program and therefore was initially more vunerable to their nonsense. But even there, they've fucked themselves over through their untenable beliefs and shitty actions. They've done some damage but their victories are pyrrhic.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Somebody remind me exactly what GamerGate has accomplished, other than getting SJW to expose their idiocy to a broader public. You know, policy changes, legislation and favorable press.

franc

Post by franc »

katamari Damassi wrote:Franc- don't you think there's a difference between SJW take over attempts in gaming versus the atheist/skeptic movement?
No disrespect intended towards #gamergate intended, but gaming is a profit driven industry that's going to cater to its target demographic(not SJWs), so SJWs were unlikely to get much traction there anyway, hashtag activism or not.
Whereas the A/S movement is an outreach program and therefore was initially more vunerable to their nonsense. But even there, they've fucked themselves over through their untenable beliefs and shitty actions. They've done some damage but their victories are pyrrhic.
None whatsoever. Tactics are same. They don't care what end result is. It is the "long march through the institutions". Anyone that has not connected the dots between the incursions is naive at best.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

franc wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:After skep got doxxed and the debate that followed I realized getting upset over atheism inaction is a waste of time. Better to just announce your plan, invite people to join, and ignore anyone who doesn't show up to help. The pit will never unify on anything other than a loathing of Myers
So give up and go home. Your attitude is why we are in the toilet and #gamergate goes from strength to strength.

http://blog.cricpa.com/wp-content/uploa ... -Image.jpg
Christ you're being an asshole. I'm already a contributor to GamerGate, and I'm on record at the pit saying we should all be. I gathered the contact information for the prominent voices in atheism and posted it here encouraging an email campaign after skep was doxxed.

My point is that all the arguments for why people should join the fight have been made. If people here haven't yet. They aren't going to. So announce your plan and move on. No point in bitching about people sniping from the sidelines (especially when it's anonymous and you don't really know who is on the sidelines)
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
franc wrote: As opposed to the 'pit which is 100% non-slacktivist? *Snort*. There were several projects that died in the bucket, one that came to semi-fruition, Pawrongula. When I first floated the idea here, all I got was shit talk and nay-saying from the loudest wannabe celebrity blabbermouths here. Thankfully, a few of the humbler regulars here got on board and we made it a semi-usable resource - bit it's still only 10% of what it could have been. This is where #gamergate shits all over atheists and shows them up for the spineless, uncritical, apathetic, lentil munching "don't be a dick"-ers that they are - and at this point in time, I think we got precisely what we deserved. I oh so wish atheists had gamers' backbones when the first of this shit began its pogrom back ~2009.
I don't think anyone but Myerku claimed the Pit was anything other than half-assed lampoonery (though several Pitizens have turned out some valuable blog posts, timelines, compilations of links, etc., not to mention the Avi exposé.) But goading the Plussers into revealing their true, nasty selves to the world has been our one, true achievement.

For some time, I've been interested in doing a virtual SlymeCon, a la FTBCon, except not by gonks, fools, and liars. There's a bunch of informed, educated & experienced folks here, who could speak on a variety of A/S & science issues. We also have some video editing talent on board. I envision 20-30 minute taped presentations uploaded to a dedicated youtube site or web page. It could be an annual or bi-annual thing, or just an open-ended project ("the undead con").

I could contribute one or two videos, on the historicity of Jesus and on woo in the horse industry. I'd also be willing to work on project management & trafficking.

I'm serious about this, so anyone interested PM me with thoughts & suggestions.

franc

Post by franc »

This is the most telling of all the Quinn smutshoots - clutching a copy of Gramsci's _Prison Notebooks_. I doubt the stupid cunt read them. But she had ideologues interpret them for her. He is the asshole that is responsible for the "long march" idea. Shit heads don't care if they win or lose. Like Borg, all they care about is replication.
10_clip.jpg
(28.51 KiB) Downloaded 114 times

franc

Post by franc »

jet_lagg wrote:Christ you're being an asshole. I'm already a contributor to GamerGate, and I'm on record at the pit saying we should all be. I gathered the contact information for the prominent voices in atheism and posted it here encouraging an email campaign after skep was doxxed.
Apologies then. I'm drunk. All the fish look the same.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

franc wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:Christ you're being an asshole. I'm already a contributor to GamerGate, and I'm on record at the pit saying we should all be. I gathered the contact information for the prominent voices in atheism and posted it here encouraging an email campaign after skep was doxxed.
Apologies then. I'm drunk. All the fish look the same.
Haha. A little early in the morning for me (not that that would stop me if it was the weekend).

franc

Post by franc »

franc wrote:Apologies then. I'm drunk. All the fish look the same.
Unlike Mykeru who is on the stone cold, and utterly rational, path to sobriety....

Dry drunks. Self-fulfilling parody.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Here's an interesting rape case, in which a 19-year old boy faced 20 years in prison because an 18-year old girl did not give "verbal affirmative consent" to sex: http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/21816/
According to Hawaii News Now, much of the testimony had centered on whether the young lady who lodged the allegations gave verbal affirmative consent to their intercourse:

Strong said he was close friends with the accuser before the incident on the morning of September 21.

“We were flirtatious. We also shared intellectually intimate moments with each other.”

Strong, now living at home in Oregon, testified he and the accuser had spent the night with each other on a previous occasion. “We kissed and cuddled all night, then slept.”

He said on the night of September 20, there was drinking in his dorm room. The girl was there, but left between 11:30 and midnight. Later, after a series of text messages between the two, the girl returned to Strong’s dorm.

“What was going through your head at this point?” asked his attorney Jeffrey Hawk.

“That she wanted to sleep with me, tonight,” Strong answered.

Once in his bed, the two started kissing, and had sex.

“When you started to have sex with her, did she say no?” Hawk asked.

“No she did not,” replied Strong from the stand.

“Did she say stop?” Hawk continued.

“No she did not,” Strong answered.

Strong testified it was after the encounter that the girl became distraught and started crying before leaving the dorm room. Under cross examination, the state tried to show that the alleged victim did not give consent.

“— didn’t say ‘yes, give it to me,’ right?” asked Assistant Prosecuting Attorney Kristen Yamamoto.

“No she did not,” Strong answered.

“She didn’t say ‘yes Tyler, I want to have sex with you,’” said Yamamoto during cross examination.

“No she did not,” Strong replied.

According to a report from KITV Honolulu, Strong had added during testimony that the young lady’s physical actions that night were clear:

“When you started to have sex with her did she say no?” said defense attorney Jeffrey Hawk.

“No, she didn’t,” said Strong.

“Did she do anything to indicate she didn’t want to do this,” said Hawk.

“No, in fact she was continually kissing me the entire time, pulling me closer to her body,” said Strong.

Strong indicated his belief was the night was the culmination of a developing relationship, a belief that the prosecution tried to shoot down.

The 18-year-old accuser had testified Strong raped her, that she repeatedly told him to stop. She said on the stand that she ran out of the dorm room in tears after and collapsed on the campus grounds, according to news reports.

But there was no evidence of physical assault. In the end it was her word against his.

In closing arguments, Hawk pointed out that the young lady had admitted that she went to Strong’s room to get a guy she liked jealous.

“In her own words, she wanted to get revenge. She knows Tyler’s alone. She knows Tyler wants to be with her. She picks Tyler and she goes there,” Hawk had said. “Who goes to a friend, someone you like, someone who trusts you and decides to use that person to get back at someone else? Its deceptive, manipulative and just plain crazy.” :banana-linedance:
Dancing banana added for emphasis.

franc

Post by franc »

I need to know whether I should go Polish, Ukrainian or Columbian camgirl. Columbians have ass perfection, Polish do great prolapses and Ukranians have billiard ball smooth pussies. All have children that need to be fed. Its really a social justice question isn't it?

[This one is for you Zwanoppotamus and OafyDoafyOk-ctrl-c-ctrl-v]

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:Somebody remind me exactly what GamerGate has accomplished, other than getting SJW to expose their idiocy to a broader public. You know, policy changes, legislation and favorable press.
Ethics policy revisions on the major gaming sites (most notably the escapist who has actually hired two GG members), funding for The Fine Young Capitalists, over one million dollars in lost ad revenue for gawker, trending #pizzagate higher than the super bowl hash tag during the actual superbowl, playing a part in the new ftc affiliate disclosure policy, oh, and we adopted a sea lion :D

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

franc wrote:

What have you done?
I already explained why what I do is more effective than sperging on twitter with hashtag slacktivism or making shit-tier vlogs directed at an audience that already believe the way I do.

Okay, so you have no response when I point out that these people who claim to be movement leaders are really just in it to get paid. Sargon has no job and is literally paying his bills right now with GG money. THAT has been the end result of Gamergate.

Now if you're fine with that, ok. But let's not pretend that paying some e-beggar's bills is a better plan of action than voting with your wallet.

And yeah, you can do both. But I don't need to do both and I think doing the one and not the other is even better.

Maybe I'd have some respect for GG if they started cutting the dead weight, IE anyone in it for the paycheck.

Come on, this is basic shit here, we mock SJWs all the goddamn time for being e-beggars who ride a movement wave for publicity and money. Now some of the anti-SJWs are doing it and you jump into defense mode.

James Caruthers

franc wrote:
I see Mykeru isn't the only one who has been hitting the sauce.

James Caruthers

"Gamergate goes from strength to strength" haha, okay.

My impression of the movement has been very different, IE a promising start that degenerated into internet sperging and drama nobody cares about, complete with sacred cows and internet white knighting. What should have been a consumer movement became linked with everybody's ideology too, bringing in MRA and PuA and everything else. The Sarkeesian Effect is still the most notable Gamergate work in production and it's a laughingstock... But not as much as it will be when it finally releases.

Write letters. Vote with your wallet. That's all GG has ever needed to do. There was never any reason to have 5 hour hangouts where 3 people combine their cults of personality for massive profit and publicity gains.

katamari Damassi

dogen wrote: The waves themselves can be the reaction mass, since they carry momentum. But I can't imagine this being useful.

Interesting factoid: over its hydrogen burning lifetime, the Sun will lose more mass via radiation than via its wind.
But the engine doesn't emit the microwaves like a photon drive would. it just bounces them around this cavity. The prevailing theory is that it somehow interacts with vacuum fluxuations to push it forward.

James Caruthers

The saddest thing is now GG degenerated into essentially a left-versus-right debate like every other fucking stupid debate in American politics.

franc

Post by franc »

James Caruthers wrote:
franc wrote:
I see Mykeru isn't the only one who has been hitting the sauce.
Alcoholics unanymous. See above for explanations. I am a champion for substance abuse, all the culture you love came from it.

Name a teetotaller, or non pervert, that's contributed to culture.

Neener neener. You cant.

dogen

Post by dogen »

katamari Damassi wrote:
dogen wrote: The waves themselves can be the reaction mass, since they carry momentum. But I can't imagine this being useful.

But the engine doesn't emit the microwaves like a photon drive would. it just bounces them around this cavity. The prevailing theory is that it somehow interacts with vacuum fluxuations to push it forward.
My prediction: all "positive" results from the em-drive will be shown to be a result of experimental misconfiguration and/or analysis error. You don't get to not conserve momentum.

franc

Post by franc »

James Caruthers wrote:The saddest thing is now GG degenerated into essentially a left-versus-right debate like every other fucking stupid debate in American politics.
You pay no attention and reduce to simplest model. Dumb.

There is no left/right (artificial construct). GG has communists, libtards, xtians, atheists and more. Stop being stupid.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

jet_lagg wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:Somebody remind me exactly what GamerGate has accomplished, other than getting SJW to expose their idiocy to a broader public. You know, policy changes, legislation and favorable press.
Ethics policy revisions on the major gaming sites (most notably the escapist who has actually hired two GG members), funding for The Fine Young Capitalists, over one million dollars in lost ad revenue for gawker, trending #pizzagate higher than the super bowl hash tag during the actual superbowl, playing a part in the new ftc affiliate disclosure policy, oh, and we adopted a sea lion :D
Yeah, all great stuff. But to remind certain people, the A/S community is much smaller than the gamer community. And for those bemoaning the pit, play "Finding Avicenna" or "Who wants to hire a FTBlogger?" You might recall Michael Nugent and others were very pro-baboon not very long ago. Now, maybe not so much. Run a Google search on any major FtB player, and Slymepit mementos are right up there.

Also, discussing plans on an open forum wherein half the lurking guests are baboons (hi, y'all!) might not be really great strategy. YMMV, offer void in Tennessee, please see your dealer for details.

dogen

Post by dogen »

franc wrote:

Neener neener. You cant.
Moby. Where is your god now?

franc

Post by franc »

dogen wrote:
franc wrote:

Neener neener. You cant.
Moby. Where is your god now?
Who?

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:
Yeah, all great stuff. But to remind certain people, the A/S community is much smaller than the gamer community. And for those bemoaning the pit, play "Finding Avicenna" or "Who wants to hire a FTBlogger?" You might recall Michael Nugent and others were very pro-baboon not very long ago. Now, maybe not so much. Run a Google search on any major FtB player, and Slymepit mementos are right up there.

Also, discussing plans on an open forum wherein half the lurking guests are baboons (hi, y'all!) might not be really great strategy. YMMV, offer void in Tennessee, please see your dealer for details.
Nothing is black and white. I'd never argue some fine work doesn't come out of the pit. I am curious what you'd suggest other than discussing plans on the forum though. I think the beauty of a really good plan is that it will work even if your opposition knows about it

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

James Caruthers wrote:The saddest thing is now GG degenerated into essentially a left-versus-right debate like every other fucking stupid debate in American politics.
I don't know where you get that from. It's mostly self-described as a leftist civil war or a libertarian/authoritarian conflict

TheMudbrooker

Post by TheMudbrooker »

franc wrote:

Neener neener. You cant.
Adolf Hitler, without him we'd have no ne of Gelfin's downfall vids.

Post by Guest »

Asche Schow's article about a very dubious campus rape accusation and its horrible outcome removed from reddits/r/notheonion
The male who was given a blowjob while most likely blacked out drunk was later accused of rape by blowjob girl and the campus "investigated" and tossed him out.

Oh, did I mention the male was the girlfriend's roommate's boyfriend? Yeah, it gets better too.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Maybe I'm just looking for something positive, but my reading of GamerGate was that it was an important demonstration that some people are not going to put up with social-justice bullshit. And when the people standing up and saying "get the fuck out!" happen to have and spend money - which makes them very distinct from your typical SJW - then those with power listen.

Did they change the world outside of gaming in some tangible way that can be directly traced back to them? Not really. But neither did they do nothing of note.

feathers

Post by feathers »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Sunder wrote:"[P]eer reviewed by an audience" may be the dumbest phrase I've read this week.
Maybe she is having a showing on a wharf and meant "pier reviewed"?
It's also easy to read it as pee-er, i.e. someone who pees.

James Caruthers

franc wrote:

There is no left/right (artificial construct). GG has communists, libtards, xtians, atheists and more. Stop being stupid.
Nah, that's now GG conflict is perceived in the public sphere, brah. Most of the organizations that openly support GG and many of its most vocal proponents are right-wing or hardcore right-wing. Davis, Owen, Milo, KingofPol, anyone from the chans really (lol.) I never knew Internet Aristocrat's politics but I suspect he was at least center right.

Sure you have a few exceptions like Pakman and Sargon, but I don't really know what Sargon's politics are either.

I'm just saying that this is what the debate was reduced to, not what it originally was. Internet slacktivism and dragging in anti-leftism turned GG into another left vs right flamewar on the internet. And yeah, SJWs bear the blame too, in fact many of them wanted to reduce the argument to left vs right to make them look better. But SJWs didn't invent Davis Aurini and Jordan Owen.

That's another thing. Anita Sarkeesian was ONE shitty cultural critic. Why the fuck did GG drag Anita into its movement at all? I always hear her mentioned as part of teh evul SJW conspiracy to destroy gaming. Come the hell on, Anita can't do shit.

James Caruthers

Billie from Ockham wrote:Maybe I'm just looking for something positive, but my reading of GamerGate was that it was an important demonstration that some people are not going to put up with social-justice bullshit. And when the people standing up and saying "get the fuck out!" happen to have and spend money - which makes them very distinct from your typical SJW - then those with power listen.

Did they change the world outside of gaming in some tangible way that can be directly traced back to them? Not really. But neither did they do nothing of note.
Fair enough. I agree that the bolded part was important.

Also kudos to you for the italicized part.

I think it's also worth pointing out that there is SOME (not tons, but some) actual sexism in gaming culture. I'm thinking of the famous Street Fighter harassment video where a female competitor was sexually harassed verbally on camera during a competition. Not by her opponent, but by one of the giant fatass emcees. People defended him by saying things like "well this is just how gaming is, you have to learn to deal with it, this is my gaming culture!"

[youtube]0SLDgPbjp0M[/youtube]

Maybe you can tell me which part of this is cultural.

So there is a part of me that looks at people like Warcorpse and says "yeah, there is room for criticism of gaming sexism that comes from someone who isn't an authoritarian SJW." And unfortunately, looking at a lot of the online videos made against Anita and in support of GG (from people like AtheistGamer and Warcorpse, etc) I can see some genuine, well, if not sexism then sex preference or sex bitterness.

Too many SexyMGTOW motherfuckers out there with their hooks in GG for me to be comfortable with it. And as shitty as Anita Sarkeesian's videos are, many of the responses are even worse and almost prove her points about sexism. :lol:

Wild Zontargs

Post by Wild Zontargs »

James Caruthers wrote:
franc wrote:

Nah, that's now GG conflict is perceived in the public sphere, brah. Most of the organizations that openly support GG and many of its most vocal proponents are right-wing or hardcore right-wing. Davis, Owen, Milo, KingofPol, anyone from the chans really (lol.) I never knew Internet Aristocrat's politics but I suspect he was at least center right.

Sure you have a few exceptions like Pakman and Sargon, but I don't really know what Sargon's politics are either.

I'm just saying that this is what the debate was reduced to, not what it originally was. Internet slacktivism and dragging in anti-leftism turned GG into another left vs right flamewar on the internet. And yeah, SJWs bear the blame too, in fact many of them wanted to reduce the argument to left vs right to make them look better. But SJWs didn't invent Davis Aurini and Jordan Owen.
That may be the "public perception", but it's absolute crap. GG supporters overwhelmingly test out as left-libertarian. They self-identify as left-wing. Their political views are left-libertarian. It's just that their opponents are also left (but more authoritarian), and the left-leaning press doesn't want to print positive stories about friendly-fire or ideological civil wars, particularly when they're on the authoritarian-left side themselves. That leaves right-wing press coverage as the only positive coverage by default.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Forget about favourable press, çause that is never going to happen. Corrupt media reports on itself that it is corrupt? Do not make me laugh.

Apart from costing Gawker by their own admission seven figures in revenue, they also prompted the FTC to revise the rules regarding affiliate marketing and Gawker had to comply.

(I have not verified this but I have heard that despite some companies resuming advertising with Gawker, once the current contract expired there was no renewal)

Many gaming sites have also adopted disclosure codes about conflict of interest that formerly had none.

Several prominent figures are no longer so prominent. For example Sam Biddle, Patrica Hernandez, Leigh Alexander etc. appear to be in the ejection seat for their respective employers.

There is more in the works, IGA, Silverstring Media and DiGRA has attracted some attention. More to come in the years ahead.

The bottom line appears to be this: Do not expect a quick win with GamerGate. Anyone taking on GamerGate in the future better have a lot of resources behind them and no skeletons in their cupboard.

Really?

Post by Really? »

James Caruthers wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote:Maybe I'm just looking for something positive, but my reading of GamerGate was that it was an important demonstration that some people are not going to put up with social-justice bullshit. And when the people standing up and saying "get the fuck out!" happen to have and spend money - which makes them very distinct from your typical SJW - then those with power listen.

Fair enough. I agree that the bolded part was important.

Also kudos to you for the italicized part.

I think it's also worth pointing out that there is SOME (not tons, but some) actual sexism in gaming culture. I'm thinking of the famous Street Fighter harassment video where a female competitor was sexually harassed verbally on camera during a competition. Not by her opponent, but by one of the giant fatass emcees. People defended him by saying things like "well this is just how gaming is, you have to learn to deal with it, this is my gaming culture!"

[youtube]0SLDgPbjp0M[/youtube]

Maybe you can tell me which part of this is cultural.

So there is a part of me that looks at people like Warcorpse and says "yeah, there is room for criticism of gaming sexism that comes from someone who isn't an authoritarian SJW." And unfortunately, looking at a lot of the online videos made against Anita and in support of GG (from people like AtheistGamer and Warcorpse, etc) I can see some genuine, well, if not sexism then sex preference or sex bitterness.

Too many SexyMGTOW motherfuckers out there with their hooks in GG for me to be comfortable with it. And as shitty as Anita Sarkeesian's videos are, many of the responses are even worse and almost prove her points about sexism. :lol:
You make a really good point. Men have never called other men "faggots" while playing video games.

Men have never been told by other men that they're virgins and will never get laid while playing video games.

Men have never had to hear from fellow men that they have small cocks while they're trying to play a game.

:handgestures-thumbupright:

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

Wild Zontargs wrote:That may be the "public perception", but it's absolute crap. GG supporters overwhelmingly test out as left-libertarian. They self-identify as left-wing. Their political views are left-libertarian. It's just that their opponents are also left (but more authoritarian), and the left-leaning press doesn't want to print positive stories about friendly-fire or ideological civil wars, particularly when they're on the authoritarian-left side themselves. That leaves right-wing press coverage as the only positive coverage by default.
Yeah, it really is a libertarian/authoritarian (I personally prefer individualist/collectivist) divide when it comes to social politics. Economic politics have pretty much zero play in this issue. As well, culturally and socially individualist thinking in leftist circles has been pushed out. Which means that the only leftist-libertarians left are the people that don't have those social ties into the leftist community.

Don't get me wrong. I think there is misogyny in gaming, although I'd more describe it as a sort of femme-phobia based around the seen and perceived abuse of social power dynamics, and that's a real problem. But that sort of sexism isn't all too much different than the BS that's promoted by the SJW's and the Neo-Fems. It's all based around the same assumptions, that women are socially superior to men and should be rewarded for that.

The effect that SJW culture has on that problem is to throw gasoline on it.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Karmakin wrote:
Wild Zontargs wrote:That may be the "public perception", but it's absolute crap. GG supporters overwhelmingly test out as left-libertarian. They self-identify as left-wing. Their political views are left-libertarian. It's just that their opponents are also left (but more authoritarian), and the left-leaning press doesn't want to print positive stories about friendly-fire or ideological civil wars, particularly when they're on the authoritarian-left side themselves. That leaves right-wing press coverage as the only positive coverage by default.
Yeah, it really is a libertarian/authoritarian (I personally prefer individualist/collectivist) divide when it comes to social politics. Economic politics have pretty much zero play in this issue. As well, culturally and socially individualist thinking in leftist circles has been pushed out. Which means that the only leftist-libertarians left are the people that don't have those social ties into the leftist community.

Don't get me wrong. I think there is misogyny in gaming, although I'd more describe it as a sort of femme-phobia based around the seen and perceived abuse of social power dynamics, and that's a real problem. But that sort of sexism isn't all too much different than the BS that's promoted by the SJW's and the Neo-Fems. It's all based around the same assumptions, that women are socially superior to men and should be rewarded for that.

The effect that SJW culture has on that problem is to throw gasoline on it.
Here's an example of sexism in gaming. A PoC wins a game and celebrates. A woman who is not happy that he won tries to start a fight that will get him disqualified because hitting a woman is a disgusting crime and hitting a man is feminism. Fortunately, instead of hitting her for starting a physical altercation, he merely shouts, "Who Bitch This Is?"

[youtube]1Sfs9h3bIDg[/youtube]

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

Taunting plus equality looks ugly. My feels oh no.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

In other news:

The Economist mentions some MRA talking points. Among them:
Yet there is plenty of cause for concern. Men cluster at the bottom as well as the top. They are far more likely than women to be jailed, estranged from their children, or to kill themselves. They earn fewer university degrees than women. Boys in the developed world are 50% more likely to flunk basic maths, reading and science entirely.
Ken White of PopeHat mentions some mental health issues of his own:
So here we are. I'm Ken, and though I live an outwardly "normal," high-functioning and successful life, I suffer from grave anxiety and depression, and last year it got bad enough that I was hospitalized "voluntarily" for it
The latest scandal over at Tor is concerns Irene Gallo, associate publisher of Tor.com and creative editor of Tor Books apparently made some intemperate statements concerning Sad Puppies and Rabid Puppies resulting in calls for her head (and three others).

This prompted Eric Flint to come to the defense of the Sad Puppies
While I was attending SFWA’s Nebula Awards weekend, the following statement was made on her Facebook page by Irene Gallo in response to a question. (The question was “what are the Sad Puppies”?)
“There are two extreme right-wing to neo-nazi groups, called the Sad Puppies and the Rabid Puppies respectively, that are calling for the end of social justice in science fiction and fantasy. They are unrepentantly racist, sexist and homophobic. A noisy few but they’ve been able to gather some Gamergate folks around them and elect a slate of bad-to-reprehensible works on this year’s Hugo ballot.”
When it comes to sheer, breath-taking dishonesty and just plain silliness, this statement is far worse than any of the ones cited by James May which I dealt with in previous essay. (Most of which were either perfectly fine or, at worst, one-sided.) But what makes the statement noteworthy is that Irene Gallo is not simply a loudmouth on the internet with a tenuous grasp of political logic and apparently no grasp at all of common decency. She is also the Art Director for Tor/Forge Books, which is by far the largest publisher in F&SF. In short, someone who has a genuinely important and influential position in the field.

katamari Damassi

dogen wrote:
My prediction: all "positive" results from the em-drive will be shown to be a result of experimental misconfiguration and/or analysis error. You don't get to not conserve momentum.
That's why I'm trying to temper my optimism with caution. I'm old enough to remember cold fusion.

katamari Damassi

To no one's surprise McEwen is throwing a shit fit over that Canadian study about the effectiveness of rape prevention techniques.

Post by Guest »

James Caruthers wrote:The Sarkeesian Effect is still the most notable Gamergate work in production and it's a laughingstock... But not as much as it will be when it finally releases.
The main project I see being pushed by GG nowadays is Deepfreeze.it, which I think does a reasonable job of compiling information in a more accessible way than scattered pastebins and forum posts and with a more focused goal than the GG wiki.

deepfreeze.it/journo.php?j=leigh_alexander
deepfreeze.it/journo.php?j=brandon_boyer
deepfreeze.it/journo.php?j=patricia_hernandez
deepfreeze.it/journo.php?j=ben_kuchera

Almost every discussion I've seen of The Sarkeesian Effect in GG places has been negative, starting from when they first tried to raise money off GG months ago and a lot of people brought up Aurini's history and previous work. I don't think there's a lot of awareness of Deepfreeze outside GG so far but they raised a couple thousand dollars for an ad campaign recently and are working on designs.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

In other news:

Genome Surgery via CRISPR I know this is old hat but still ...
Now there is hope in the form of new genome-engineering tools, particularly one called CRISPR. This technology could allow researchers to perform microsurgery on genes, precisely and easily changing a DNA sequence at exact locations on a chromosome. Along with a technique called TALENs, invented several years ago, and a slightly older predecessor based on molecules called zinc finger nucleases, CRISPR could make gene therapies more broadly applicable, providing remedies for simple genetic disorders like sickle-cell anemia and eventually even leading to cures for more complex diseases involving multiple genes. Most conventional gene therapies crudely place new genetic material at a random location in the cell and can only add a gene. In contrast, CRISPR and the other new tools also give scientists a precise way to delete and edit specific bits of DNA—even by changing a single base pair. This means they can rewrite the human genome at will.
Also,

Genome-wide association study with 1000 genomes imputation identifies signals for nine sex hormone-related phenotypes
The aim of the study was to identify novel genetic variants contributing to the regulation of sex hormones. We performed GWAS using genotypes imputed from the 1000 Genomes reference panel. The study used genotype and phenotype data from a UK twin register. We included 2913 individuals (up to 294 males) from the Twins UK study, excluding individuals receiving hormone treatment. Phenotypes were standardised for age, sex, BMI, stage of menstrual cycle and menopausal status.
I would make another joke about the Kim dynasty, but I am going to save it for later.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

I remember that asshole from the street fighter tournament, and I remember the gaming community online being largely disgusted with him.

As another example I heard a lot of agreement Arkham City was misogynistic. It's not that histrionic sociopaths like Sarkeesian don't have any points to make. It's that those points are driven to their polar extremes and any deviation from that position is labeled hate.

It's the opposite of the scientific mindset. It's dangerous. And it's infectious.