Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
Suet Cardigan

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by Suet Cardigan »

Really? wrote:
Suet Cardigan wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:Headmistress found guilty of "indecent assault" (because rape is what men do) after having sex with boys as young as 13. No mention of the word "pedophile" in any article (which is unusual considering the Daily Mail once used it to describe an 18 year old male who had sex with a 15 year old girl)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ed-15.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-33252378

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015 ... enage-boys

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... -boys.html
Women can't be convicted of rape under English Law because the Sexual Offences Act 2003 defines rape as unwanted penetration with a penis:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_Offences_Act_2003

Female rapists are charged with sexual assault which carries a lesser maximum sentence.
Um. Did you just say that women can't have penises?
Oops. I forgot that biological sex is just a social construct (© HJ Hornbeck 2014)

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Steersman wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:I have taken a 2 hour running block of live 911 coverage, determined by working back from the second plane hit when the coverage started in real time, added a timer, compiled a spreadsheet of timed events and calculated their position on the running timer. And then added them as text subscripts to the footage.

It was an interesting way of getting a running sense of all the different events. Just trying to determine when to stop adding '"events".
I wouldn't go back any further than the Battle of 1066 .... ;-)
Umm footage starts 4 mins after first strike, it is quite eerie listening to the commentators, see the blgs burning and knowing right NOW someone is breaking out of a lift, a firefighter has got to the skylobby and somewhere out west on Flight 93 ......

I actually got the idea after watching the Flight 93 movie which, once the highjack begins, is shot in real time.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Steersman wrote:Aboriginals or native Indians with the former seeming to be well within the pale, so to speak, since there's the APTN - the Aboriginal Public Television Network - in this neck of the woods that seems pretty acceptable. Not sure if there's anything equivalent to the Australian "abbo" or "boonga", but I expect there are a few that may or may not have some applicability depending on circumstances. Reminds of having read a book sometime ago on some aboriginal issues here in Canada - "Our Home? Or Native Land?", I think - that included a bit from a routine from an aboriginal comedian who was taking some quite justifiable shots at the relatively high levels of fraud perpetrated by various "Chiefs and Council" on native reserves. Maybe there's an epithet that might be applicable, or maybe one could be coined on the fly - "Scalpers"?
Back when I was a school brat, I used to change the lyrics when being made to sing the national anthem. I turned "our home and native land" into "our stolen from the natives land". I'm a bit out of touch with the times, but is that line still in there? It seems like something they should have fixed by now.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Brive1987 wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:I have taken a 2 hour running block of live 911 coverage, determined by working back from the second plane hit when the coverage started in real time, added a timer, compiled a spreadsheet of timed events and calculated their position on the running timer. And then added them as text subscripts to the footage.

It was an interesting way of getting a running sense of all the different events. Just trying to determine when to stop adding '"events".
I wouldn't go back any further than the Battle of 1066 .... ;-)
Umm footage starts 4 mins after first strike, it is quite eerie listening to the commentators, see the blgs burning and knowing right NOW someone is breaking out of a lift, a firefighter has got to the skylobby and somewhere out west on Flight 93 ......

I actually got the idea after watching the Flight 93 movie which, once the highjack begins, is shot in real time.
I hope you're aware that there is incredibly extensive news footage of 9/11 on archive.org.

https://archive.org/details/911/day/20010911

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

dogen wrote:
Parody Accountant wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:Headmistress found guilty of "indecent assault" (because rape is what men do) after having sex with boys as young as 13. No mention of the word "pedophile" in any article (which is unusual considering the Daily Mail once used it to describe an 18 year old male who had sex with a 15 year old girl)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ed-15.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-33252378

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015 ... enage-boys

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... -boys.html
Fess up, you're A Very Rich Man, right?
He appears legit, unfortunately.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Bourne Skeptic wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
Parody Accountant wrote:SN you should date comhcinc. You can see images of his penis on Google... Earth

/wingman
You know, I like to think I can handle a lot, but if it's visible from space, it just might be maybe an inch or so too big.

Then again, so what if I walk funny for a couple of days. That's bragging rights when that happens. :P
That's a microaggression towards averagely endowed men, apologies now or rape the consequences.
Ok, fair enough, but I will remain a pervert while doing so. Ahem...

There are places where the big ones are best enjoyed, but let's not forget the place where it's the micro ones that are the best (damn gag reflex!). And let's not forget the average ones, the jacks of all trades, so to speak. There's a place in my heart, ok maybe not my heart but some other places, for all sizes and shapes of penises (or is that penii). Hang on, that's human ones only please. I wouldn't know what to do with one of those corkscrew-shaped duck cocks.

Donald Duck: Hey, Scented, wanna fuck?
Me: No, but could you open these wine bottles?

Wild Zontargs

Post by Wild Zontargs »

Parody Accountant wrote:He appears legit, unfortunately.
Oh, indeed:
I am a bipolar, tri-racial, gay, neuro-atypical, atheist, electromagnetically hypersensitive, feminist, activist and Ph.D. candidate
[youtube]vvklutjxVb4[/youtube]

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Really? wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
Steersman wrote: I wouldn't go back any further than the Battle of 1066 .... ;-)

I hope you're aware that there is incredibly extensive news footage of 9/11 on archive.org.

https://archive.org/details/911/day/20010911
Ta I'll have a look. Could be useful for related footage.

Though this exercise was to take one networks coverage with their dawning realisation and confusion but juxtapose that lack of self awareness against concurrent events as well as the "small" human struggles often lost against the big burning picture.

Fucking work of art.

If I say so myself. ;)

Parody Accountant

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

If you want to go into a little more depth:
[youtube]InaGWwt5hWk[/youtube]

It's odd how the conspiracy theory types grab onto the worst tragedies to peddle their demented wares, there are tons of thes nuts going after these type of horrible events, I'm sure it's already"proven" that Obama was behind the recent church shootings to take away our guns, our (Confederate) flag, our religion, etc.

CuntajusRationality

Post by CuntajusRationality »

From the comments at Lousy Canuck's latest, replete with pit references and Thibeault's hyperbolic nonsense: https://archive.is/XWwge
Charlene Johnson wrote: The one aspect of this that John Oliver completely missed and that you just barely touched upon its the extent of the terroristic harassment of male feminist allies by the slimepit dudebros. I would like to commend you for being a good ally, Jason. The amount of bullshit you have to deal with sometimes is incredible. They lengths that the slimescum terrorists have gone to try to terrorize you into silence are despicable. They disrupted your online conference by trolling, and they have even affected your blogging, by bombarding you with their hate filled comments. Please don’t stop blogging, I don’t want to see the terrorists win again.
You are not the only one they have tried to bully, and they have won far too many times. One of my favorite bloggers here was Avicenna, and they successfully silenced him with their false rape allegations and lies about his blog. They lied about him because he stood up to their bullshit, and I am still shaking with anger because. he was silenced by malicious lies. There is no lie too awful for the misogynistic terrorists to use.
Please don’t stop fighting Jason. The slimey MRA dudebros will not stop trying to silence good people like you with their misogyny and discursive violence. Don’t ever let them win. It certainly doesn’t help that the atheist c community has terrorist supporters like Hemant Mehta encouraging the harassers by pretending to care about journalistic integrity.
One minor quibble though. Can you reword the part about “possessing a white penis”? That is extremely heteronormative and erases trans experiences. I know you didn’t intend harm but please correct it.
Jason Thibeault wrote: I’m not sure how to reword it other than how I already did, with “being perceived to be such”, which I thought would help considering how un-nuanced Oliver’s throwaway phrase (for laughs, of course) was. Considering being trans on the internet is a subversion of that, in that some women do have white penises but get none of the benefits of being part of perceived-as-male because of the ambiguity, it’s obviously going to be problematic.
I get it, though. Penis != male. Male != penis. The problem people seem to have with non-white-males on the internet doesn’t map exactly to non-owners-of-white-penis. It’s a close map, but not exact. And where it fails, seems to be exactly where the harassers are no longer sure about the penis-having. Do you have any recommendations for better wording, other than the notes here?
As for Avicenna, he actually plagiarized a good many pieces of writing. His heart was in the right place generally, but he was willfully ignorant of the actual problem of plagiarism even after it was pointed out. Avicenna got what he deserved in being kicked off FtB.
He did NOT deserve the slime pit, though. His crimes didn’t justify a cadre of people rifling through everyone’s drawers and garbage for years on end, harassing them to no end, *just in case* we turn out to be bad in some way. Especially since they were targeting him for a very long time before they found something actually objectionable.
None of us deserve this. Not even the absolute objectively worst of us deserves a cadre of stalkers, ideologues, papparazi and “lulz”-mongers targeting them for years on end.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Scented Nectar wrote:
Steersman wrote:Aboriginals or native Indians with the former seeming to be well within the pale, so to speak, since there's the APTN - the Aboriginal Public Television Network - in this neck of the woods that seems pretty acceptable. Not sure if there's anything equivalent to the Australian "abbo" or "boonga", but I expect there are a few that may or may not have some applicability depending on circumstances. Reminds of having read a book sometime ago on some aboriginal issues here in Canada - "Our Home? Or Native Land?", I think - that included a bit from a routine from an aboriginal comedian who was taking some quite justifiable shots at the relatively high levels of fraud perpetrated by various "Chiefs and Council" on native reserves. Maybe there's an epithet that might be applicable, or maybe one could be coined on the fly - "Scalpers"?
Back when I was a school brat, I used to change the lyrics when being made to sing the national anthem. I turned "our home and native land" into "our stolen from the natives land". I'm a bit out of touch with the times, but is that line still in there? It seems like something they should have fixed by now.
Faith and bejesus, it is :-) :
O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.

With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free! ...
And from the horse's mouth.

Interesting if problematic and fractious concept. I've periodically thought that none of us own any land, or that we all own all of it together. But then there's the other side of the coin that "possession is nine-tenths of the law" - with the other tenth being a bit of a sticky wicket.

My ex and I used to "own", or lease, a piece of native reserve land - "surrendered" for use by non-natives - and I was less than impressed with some of the terms, more in hindsight than not: beneficial in some aspects, problematic (for all concerned) if not odious in others. Which led me to raise some objections to them in the context of the debate over the Nisga'a Treaty - even had a letter to my MP on the topic read in the House of Commons! :ugeek: :)

But in general and to address your point, while I'm willing to concede that Canada has periodically or frequently treated "first nations" people rather shabbily - as in the Indian residential school system - I kind of get the impression that rather too many aboriginals - and non-natives - don't really appreciate the benefits they've derived from western "civilization" (such as it is). While there is maybe some remote justification for that "stolen" characterization, many don't see or appreciate the improvements that have been made - or maybe they'd all like to go back to living in teepees and seeing their kids dying of preventable diseases. Which tends to make it doubly risible that, at least here in BC, all of the tribes here are claiming something like 110% of the province.

Sticky wicket and some apparently intractable problems. But I don't see that it helps that many are apparently too quick to ignore some important aspects.

Parody Accountant

CuntajusRationality wrote:From the comments at Lousy Canuck's latest, replete with pit references and Thibeault's hyperbolic nonsense: https://archive.is/XWwge
Charlene Johnson wrote: The one aspect of this that John Oliver completely missed and that you just barely touched upon its the extent of the terroristic harassment of male feminist allies by the slimepit dudebros. I would like to commend you for being a good ally, Jason. The amount of bullshit you have to deal with sometimes is incredible. They lengths that the slimescum terrorists have gone to try to terrorize you into silence are despicable. They disrupted your online conference by trolling, and they have even affected your blogging, by bombarding you with their hate filled comments. Please don’t stop blogging, I don’t want to see the terrorists win again

You are not the only one they have tried to bully, and they have won far too many times. One of my favorite bloggers here was Avicenna, and they successfully silenced him with their false rape allegations and lies about his blog. They lied about him because he stood up to their bullshit, and I am still shaking with anger because. he was silenced by malicious lies. There is no lie too awful for the misogynistic terrorists to use.
Please don’t stop fighting Jason. The slimey MRA dudebros will not stop trying to silence good people like you with their misogyny and discursive violence. Don’t ever let them win. It certainly doesn’t help that the atheist c community has terrorist supporters like Hemant Mehta encouraging the harassers by pretending to care about journalistic integrity.
One minor quibble though. Can you reword the part about “possessing a white penis”? That is extremely heteronormative and erases trans experiences. I know you didn’t intend harm but please correct it.
Jason Thibeault wrote: I’m not sure how to reword it other than how I already did, with “being perceived to be such”, which I thought would help considering how un-nuanced Oliver’s throwaway phrase (for laughs, of course) was. Considering being trans on the internet is a subversion of that, in that some women do have white penises but get none of the benefits of being part of perceived-as-male because of the ambiguity, it’s obviously going to be problematic.
I get it, though. Penis != male. Male != penis. The problem people seem to have with non-white-males on the internet doesn’t map exactly to non-owners-of-white-penis. It’s a close map, but not exact. And where it fails, seems to be exactly where the harassers are no longer sure about the penis-having. Do you have any recommendations for better wording, other than the notes here?
As for Avicenna, he actually plagiarized a good many pieces of writing. His heart was in the right place generally, but he was willfully ignorant of the actual problem of plagiarism even after it was pointed out. Avicenna got what he deserved in being kicked off FtB.
He did NOT deserve the slime pit, though. His crimes didn’t justify a cadre of people rifling through everyone’s drawers and garbage for years on end, harassing them to no end, *just in case* we turn out to be bad in some way. Especially since they were targeting him for a very long time before they found something actually objectionable.
None of us deserve this. Not even the absolute objectively worst of us deserves a cadre of stalkers, ideologues, papparazi and “lulz”-mongers targeting them for years on end.
Please don’t stop blogging, I don’t want to see the terrorists win again.

how the fuck did he not realize he's the butt of another joke?!?!?!

Parody Accountant

CuntajusRationality wrote:From the comments at Lousy Canuck's latest, replete with pit references and Thibeault's hyperbolic nonsense: https://archive.is/XWwge
Charlene Johnson wrote: The one aspect of this that John Oliver completely missed and that you just barely touched upon its the extent of the terroristic harassment of male feminist allies by the slimepit dudebros. I would like to commend you for being a good ally, Jason. The amount of bullshit you have to deal with sometimes is incredible. They lengths that the slimescum terrorists have gone to try to terrorize you into silence are despicable. They disrupted your online conference by trolling, and they have even affected your blogging, by bombarding you with their hate filled comments. Please don’t stop blogging, I don’t want to see the terrorists win again

Post by Guest »

Beginning to suspect David Futrelle and Paul Elam are in on it together.
archive.is/DeuFw

free thoughtpolice

I thought I'd never see the day! Tony! the queef shoop said something I agree with. We agree that Anita Sarkeesian is full of shit:
Tony! The Queer Shoop

24 June 2015 at 4:12 pm

emergence:
I had a thought about the possible relationship between video game violence and meatspace violence. We know that the rate of violent crime in the United States has decreased every year over the last two decades:

Violent crime in the U.S. fell 4.4 percent last year to the lowest level in decades, the FBI announced Monday.

In 2013, there were 1.16 million violent crimes, the lowest amount since the 1978’s 1.09 million violent crimes, Reuters reports.

All types of violent crimes experienced decline last year, with rape dropping 6.3 percent, murder and non-negligent manslaughter dropping 4.4 percent and robbery dropping 2.8 percent.

The rate of violent crime is 367.9 crimes for every 100,000 people, which marked a 5.1 percent decline since 2012. The rate has fallen each year since at least 1994.

We also know that the consumption of video games by USAmerican citizens has increased since 1994.

Given all that, wouldn’t it stand to reason that if video game violence caused violent crime that violent crime would have gone up since 1994? Instead, violent crime has gone down. Again–every year since ’94.

____
Here are some links you might find useful:
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2 ... tudy-finds

http://www.sciencealert.com/definitive- ... h-violence

____
Also, I’d like to point out that violence in this country doesn’t come from just one source. We see it glorified in multiple sports. We see it in books, movies, and on television. We’re surrounded by violence. I think many people latched onto a scapegoat-in this case video games-as a rationale for violence; regardless of evidence to support their contention.

Incidentally, the attempt to link video games to violence reminds me of Frederick Wertham’s crusade against comic books in the 1950’s.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

free thoughtpolice wrote:If you want to go into a little more depth:
[youtube]InaGWwt5hWk[/youtube]

It's odd how the conspiracy theory types grab onto the worst tragedies to peddle their demented wares, there are tons of thes nuts going after these type of horrible events, I'm sure it's already"proven" that Obama was behind the recent church shootings to take away our guns, our (Confederate) flag, our religion, etc.
I don't know about you Guys and Chill Girls, but when I see a man wearing an outfit like that, I can't help but take his opinions seriously.

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

Guest wrote:
DaveDodo007 wrote:WTF.

thecollegefix.com/post/22839/
I wish the days of 60 Minutes style confrontational interviews would return. Somehow that got ethic'd out of journalism, but Janet Napolitano is a big girl with big girl panties and she deserves a microphone asking her her specific views on these publications and workshops coming out of her office.

Does she personally agree these things are microaggressions?
If she doesn't personally believe the most qualified person should get the job, what does she believe?
How does she hire for UC?
Is there any need for the UC Regents or a California Congressional investigation into her hiring practices?
It seems the norm now for universities to ruin themselves from within.

CuntajusRationality

Post by CuntajusRationality »

Parody Accountant wrote:how the fuck did he not realize he's the butt of another joke?!?!?!
http://ih1.redbubble.net/image.14734218 ... 50,red.jpg

?

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Scented Nectar wrote:Well, all that's left then is to retrieve my tits from wherever Gravity has hid them and my sex drive from wherever Time has hidden it. Then, we're partying! :lol:
I think I know who stole your last 1%.

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

free thoughtpolice wrote:I thought I'd never see the day! Tony! the queef shoop said something I agree with. We agree that Anita Sarkeesian is full of shit:
Tony! The Queer Shoop

emergence:
I had a thought about the possible relationship between video game violence and meatspace violence. We know that the rate of violent crime in the United States has decreased every year over the last two decades:

Violent crime in the U.S. fell 4.4 percent last year to the lowest level in decades, the FBI announced Monday.

In 2013, there were 1.16 million violent crimes, the lowest amount since the 1978’s 1.09 million violent crimes, Reuters reports.

All types of violent crimes experienced decline last year, with rape dropping 6.3 percent, murder and non-negligent manslaughter dropping 4.4 percent and robbery dropping 2.8 percent.

The rate of violent crime is 367.9 crimes for every 100,000 people, which marked a 5.1 percent decline since 2012. The rate has fallen each year since at least 1994.

We also know that the consumption of video games by USAmerican citizens has increased since 1994.

Given all that, wouldn’t it stand to reason that if video game violence caused violent crime that violent crime would have gone up since 1994? Instead, violent crime has gone down. Again–every year since ’94.

____

____
Also, I’d like to point out that violence in this country doesn’t come from just one source. We see it glorified in multiple sports. We see it in books, movies, and on television. We’re surrounded by violence. I think many people latched onto a scapegoat-in this case video games-as a rationale for violence; regardless of evidence to support their contention.

Incidentally, the attempt to link video games to violence reminds me of Frederick Wertham’s crusade against comic books in the 1950’s.
They dun goofed! Attacking Doom just showed they were never gamers anyway, not that it was a surprise to GG I think even teenagers who weren't into video games loved Doom in the nineties. It will be interesting to see what happens from here.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Really? wrote: Um. Did you just say that women can't have penises?
Yes. Why yes he did. Fuck him! Fuck him into the ground with a runty spokesgay. Damm shitlord.

Parody Accountant

I miss slyme chat with vacula

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Really? wrote: Um. Did you just say that women can't have penises?
Yes. Why yes he did. Fuck him! Fuck him into the ground with a runty spokesgay. Damm shitlord.
From the mouths of babes,

[youtube]T3wcxHiorJ4[/youtube]

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Parody Accountant wrote:

That's the danger of being so extremist in your views. Remember when a commenter told Carrier how shocked they were they could get a collection of works from an esteemed scholar such as himself for such a low price, and he responded that he wasn't sure if they were being satirical or not? To his credit, he caught the scent of it, even if it took dialing up to 11 for that to happen.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Scented Nectar wrote: Ok, fair enough, but I will remain a pervert while doing so. Ahem...

There are places where the big ones are best enjoyed, but let's not forget the place where it's the micro ones that are the best (damn gag reflex!). And let's not forget the average ones, the jacks of all trades, so to speak. There's a place in my heart, ok maybe not my heart but some other places, for all sizes and shapes of penises (or is that penii). Hang on, that's human ones only please. I wouldn't know what to do with one of those corkscrew-shaped duck cocks.

Donald Duck: Hey, Scented, wanna fuck?
Me: No, but could you open these wine bottles?

I never speak of my penis. There is nothing awesome about it. My balls on the other hand are a sight to see!

[youtube]_1v_EcjeIkg[/youtube]

free thoughtpolice

Steersman wrote:
But in general and to address your point, while I'm willing to concede that Canada has periodically or frequently treated "first nations" people rather shabbily - as in the Indian residential school system - I kind of get the impression that rather too many aboriginals - and non-natives - don't really appreciate the benefits they've derived from western "civilization" (such as it is). While there is maybe some remote justification for that "stolen" characterization, many don't see or appreciate the improvements that have been made - or maybe they'd all like to go back to living in teepees and seeing their kids dying of preventable diseases. Which tends to make it doubly risible that, at least here in BC, all of the tribes here are claiming something like 110% of the province.
Steers: The Indians or First nations of BC have a rather uneven distribution of benefits of modern society.
Where I live they live generally really well. They have gone to school with the palefaces and later worked and participated in business with them. They historically welcomed Europeans to settle among them. In spite of this, they were given only small areas for settlement and up until fairly recently would have to give up their band membership if they wanted to buy property or live off reservation. Some of my friends had fathers and grandfathers that were wealthy people from their fishing and logging businesses and had the means to buy off reservation lands to expand the territory but were denied it by the government.
Elsewhere in the province especially in isolated communities, things are much different. Sometimes they are worse off than pre European times by standard of living and have extremely limited access to healthcare.
As for excessive demands for land, in the late 19th early 20th century the BC government gave huge tracts of the most valuable land in the province to railways and other corporations basically for free. They had not been transferred by treaty so by definition stolen.
What surprises me Steers, is that you can apply the principal of charity to SZvan and Ophie but the the Chugs and Siwash Whose land you live on don't get a break from you.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

I look at the letters 'comhcinc' and see com.hcinc.[androidAppName] what would be the default recommended full name for an app written by the owner of domain hcinc, as if our favorite wrestling aficionado had a company called "Huge Cunt, inc." and owned hcinc.com and wrote android apps.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

I also sometimes see an interposed-letter typo on comchinc, a red Chinese.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

free thoughtpolice wrote:What surprises me Steers, is that you can apply the principal of charity to SZvan and Ophie but the the Chugs and Siwash Whose land you live on don't get a break from you.
Steersman is unerringly charitable with people and views that are mysteriously underrepresented here.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

In other news, I have discovered that we do not have a working oven here. We have a toaster oven. My cheap self raising kroger pizza is taking forever.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

fuzzy wrote:I look at the letters 'comhcinc' and see com.hcinc.[androidAppName] what would be the default recommended full name for an app written by the owner of domain hcinc, as if our favorite wrestling aficionado had a company called "Huge Cunt, inc." and owned hcinc.com and wrote android apps.
My name predates smart phones. It's history comes from 1999 I think.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Aneris wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:What surprises me Steers, is that you can apply the principal of charity to SZvan and Ophie but the the Chugs and Siwash Whose land you live on don't get a break from you.
Steersman is unerringly charitable with people and views that are mysteriously underrepresented here.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/0b/0b67d25 ... 9bf469.jpg

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Steersman wrote:
No
http://img.pandawhale.com/77535-wrestle ... u-cLym.gif

No bad bear, bad. No!

free thoughtpolice

Just getting him to check his privilige :drool:

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Tigzy wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:Nice to see that Pharyngula has turned the page on the Thunderdome with The Mended Drum. Starting at comment 348:
https://archive.is/4JjpH
Beating the same drum, mended or otherwise.
It annoys me so much that this is not an anagram.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Aneris wrote:
:) But "unerringly charitable"? I wonder whether you would think that me calling Zvan “an ignorant fucking fat twat” qualifies as that. Or maybe you think I was pulling my punches there and could have been more forceful in my criticisms of her positions? And I think I've been equally pointed in my criticisms of others in the FTB/Skepchick/AtheismPlus crowd - apropos of which you may wish to take a gander at my criticisms of that nature of Hornbeck on Melby's blog which she, to her credit, has apparently allowed to stand.

But the point is that being willing to accept that others - particularly those "mysteriously underrepresented here" (even if partly or largely their faults) - periodically have a point or two in their favour tends, I think, to make subsequent criticisms of "them" more plausible: if "you" are uniformly critical, or supportive, of someone then that merely makes it much more likely that "you" are motivated more by animus or favourable bias, respectively, than by a desire to find the truth of the matter.

blitzem

Post by blitzem »

comhcinc wrote:
fuzzy wrote:I look at the letters 'comhcinc' and see com.hcinc.[androidAppName] what would be the default recommended full name for an app written by the owner of domain hcinc, as if our favorite wrestling aficionado had a company called "Huge Cunt, inc." and owned hcinc.com and wrote android apps.
Hmm. I always thought it was a military reference, as in "Command HeadQuarters, Combined Intelligence Center", but w/o the Q.

(There is an ableism joke in there somewhere, I am sure of it.)

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

blitzem wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
Hmm. I always thought it was a military reference, as in "Command HeadQuarters, Combined Intelligence Center", but w/o the Q.

(There is an ableism joke in there somewhere, I am sure of it.)
I've bared my soul but I am keeping this secret but you are way off.

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

Steersman wrote:But "unerringly charitable"? I wonder whether you would think that me calling Zvan “an ignorant fucking fat twat” qualifies as that. Or maybe you think I was pulling my punches there and could have been more forceful in my criticisms of her positions?...
I do feel that this is unduly charitable. Zvan is a knowingly dishonest fucking fat twat.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Steersman wrote:
Steers: The Indians or First nations of BC have a rather uneven distribution of benefits of modern society.
I don't doubt that, and I'll even concede that some might even be worse off than some in "pre-European times". However, seems to me that, for one thing, one might say the same of some "palefaces". But more importantly, I think one has to rather seriously ask whether there are more First Nations people who are better off now than there were then.
free thoughtpolice wrote:Where I live they live generally really well. They have gone to school with the palefaces and later worked and participated in business with them. They historically welcomed Europeans to settle among them. In spite of this, they were given only small areas for settlement and up until fairly recently would have to give up their band membership if they wanted to buy property or live off reservation. Some of my friends had fathers and grandfathers that were wealthy people from their fishing and logging businesses and had the means to buy off reservation lands to expand the territory but were denied it by the government.
Having had some direct experience dealing with the Department of Indian Affairs (as it was then called), and having read of many other similar cases, I can well appreciate that many of their policies have been less than exemplary - to say the least (lack of spoons). However, I also get the impression, from similar experiences, that many natives and/or tribes are, to some non-trivial extent, the authors of their own misfortunes, that many are trying to hang on to values and precepts that are largely incompatible with the operation of democratic societies - societies and principles which are largely the source of many of the benefits that those natives and tribes depend rather heavily on.
free thoughtpolice wrote:As for excessive demands for land, in the late 19th early 20th century the BC government gave huge tracts of the most valuable land in the province to railways and other corporations basically for free. They had not been transferred by treaty so by definition stolen.
Maybe, although that seems decidedly moot. For one thing, one might reasonably argue that "110% of the Province" qualifies as "excessive" - Shylockian even, and suggest, although I'm not at all certain of this, that the requisite treaties haven't been signed largely because of unreasonable demands and expectations from many in the First Nations communities.
Maybe you didn't notice that I conceded (above) that "Canada has periodically or frequently treated "first nations" people rather shabbily"? But recognizing that shouldn't preclude a fair assessment of the argument, as above, that many in the First Nations communities have contributed substantially to their own difficulties. Complex issue, and not at all easy to disentangle all of the factors. But I don't think it helps at all for either "side" - there or in any dispute - to refuse to consider that they, or their attitudes and values, may be more a part of the problem than of the solution - to coin a phrase. ;-)

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Nice to see that Pharyngula has turned the page on the Thunderdome with The Mended Drum. Starting at comment 348:
https://archive.is/4JjpH

Well that was inane, though I give up a third of the way through. Pee Zee did turn up near the start and said no idiots allowed, the ableist shitlord. :shock:

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Easy J wrote:
Steersman wrote:But "unerringly charitable"? I wonder whether you would think that me calling Zvan “an ignorant fucking fat twat” qualifies as that. Or maybe you think I was pulling my punches there and could have been more forceful in my criticisms of her positions?...
I do feel that this is unduly charitable. Zvan is a knowingly dishonest fucking fat twat.
:lol: I can sympathize. I've periodically wondered whether she is simply remarkably unself-aware, or exhibits an excess of confabulation ("intent to deceive and the person is unaware the information is false"), or is overly invested in dogma of one sort or another - mostly "feminism". Or, as you suggest, intentionally and "knowingly dishonest". But I kind of think there is some evidence for some mix of the first 3 and very little of the last one.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Tony! The Queer Shoop

emergence:

Given all that, wouldn’t it stand to reason that if video game violence caused violent crime AND EVERYTHING ELSE REMAINED THE SAME that violent crime would have gone up since 1994? Instead, violent crime has gone down. Again–every year since ’94.

____

____

Fixed it for him/her/whatever.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Parody Accountant wrote:I miss slyme chat with vacula
You can always follow him on Twatter. You'll know the exact moment he goes into Planet Fitness or what his poker scores are. Sometimes there's heavy metal! Too exciting for you? Who can blame you!

CaptainFluffyBunny

I personally plan on live-tweeting my cat's bowel movements. That'll bring in the subs.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Easy J wrote:
Zvan is unerringly vindictive, mean spirited, narcissist, nasty and I won't call her a twat because I like twats. She is more like rodent droppings that have hantavirus and a cloying odor of death. That is being charitable to her. Or maybe somebody can line up all her non self-serving acts of kindness and humane contributions for me. Good luck.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Easy J, I was sorry (belated sympathy) to hear of your woe. You landed on your feet?

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

rayshul wrote:
The Mended Drum
Perhaps the place functions as a doctor for those who feel chased down and treated like shit.

Hunted Merde MD

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Not to go all steersman here but I am watching the daily show and they are talking about the confederate flag thing. I know this is connected to that shooting but I don't know how. Anyway I want to make a point.

This is the confederate battle flag that everyone is talking about.
http://www.bndflagpoles.com/750_500_csu ... 1747286463

This is the stars and bars.
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~gacgr/starbars.jpg

If you are going to be high and mighty about this shit take five minutes to search wikipedia and get your facts straight.

free thoughtpolice

[quote][/quote]
Maybe you didn't notice that I conceded (above) that "Canada has periodically or frequently treated "first nations" people rather shabbily"? But recognizing that shouldn't preclude a fair assessment of the argument, as above, that many in the First Nations communities have contributed substantially to their own difficulties. Complex issue, and not at all easy to disentangle all of the factors. But I don't think it helps at all for either "side" - there or in any dispute - to refuse to consider that they, or their attitudes and values, may be more a part of the problem than of the solution - to coin a phrase. ;-)

Coin this phrase, forked tongue land stealing white eye demon: Way to victim blame shitlord.
Did you read what I wrote? If so it didn't appear to sink in. Everyone contributes to their own misfortune to some degree. The attitudes and values of the Indians I know are pretty much the same as everyone else I know.
There are some from that "side" that could use a leg up and some help to catch up with the modern world?
I think so.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
Easy J wrote:
Zvan is unerringly vindictive, mean spirited, narcissist, nasty and I won't call her a twat because I like twats. She is more like rodent droppings that have hantavirus and a cloying odor of death. That is being charitable to her. Or maybe somebody can line up all her non self-serving acts of kindness and humane contributions for me. Good luck.
It seems nobody likes her, not even her own team.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

fuzzy wrote:
rayshul wrote:
The Mended Drum
Perhaps the place functions as a doctor for those who feel chased down and treated like shit.

Hunted Merde MD
Hmm. Needed turd.

free thoughtpolice

1st para ending with winky was steersman, 2nd my response :drool:

free thoughtpolice

By the way Steers, I want you to read this guys book before you comment again on First Nation topics. :hand:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_R._Jewitt

CaptainFluffyBunny

free thoughtpolice wrote:By the way Steers, I want you to read this guys book before you comment again on First Nation topics. :hand:
Send him a Wikipedia article, it's even better!

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

free thoughtpolice wrote:By the way Steers, I want you to read this guys book before you comment again on First Nation topics. :hand:
He's not reading anything until he finishes Novum Organum.

free thoughtpolice

James Caruthers wrote:
He's not reading anything until he finishes Novum Organum.
:lol:

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:Easy J, I was sorry (belated sympathy) to hear of your woe. You landed on your feet?
Thanks, Captain. I landed on my face for the most part, but I'm starting to get my knees & elbows under me. I'm making good money & saving most of it for another house & my family has come through big for me. Losing the kids hurts like hell but I'm powerless to fix that & the rest of my life is a blank slate, so I could definitely be worse. Being single is definitely better than being with someone capable of what my wife did, so losing her was ultimately for the best.

I was at my mom's house (where grandpa & my stepdad Earl also live) when I got cut loose.The day after I gave my mother the news, I was lying in bed when Earl came in to commiserate over the bad news. He told me about the time he came home to find his previous wife in bed with his teenage son's best friend & found himself living in his truck shortly thereafter. A bit later my grandfather came in & reminded me about the black widow lady that swooped in, married him, & drained his retirement account just a few years ago before vanishing. Still later, my mother reminded me of her ex that emptied her house & left town while she was at work after he dropped us kids off at an arcade. I guess this crap runs in the family.

The part haunting me the most, though, is my failure to heed what should've been an obvious sign of trouble. A month or so before she screwed me over I saw on Facebook that she had dyed her hair bright, flaming red & started wearing her relatively thick framed glasses. I was reading the Pit daily this entire time & still never woke up to this bright, glowing red flag. I have no excuse for this. Let my case serve as a lesson to others.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Poor Steers. He just wants to comment authoritatively about subjects he knows nothing about. What does that remind me of...a blogging network...wait, it'll come to me...