Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
AndrewV69

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by AndrewV69 »

jet_lagg wrote:I think others will also reach your conclusion, that Wade's hypothesis means certain people are doomed (hence my comment about lacking Wade's faith in humanity), but I don't think it's a necessary conclusion, and I'm almost certain it's a conclusion Wade would disagree with. He did make it clear that he had stepped-up outside the boundaries of solid science by the time he reached the later chapters, but the implications were still troubling. It doesn't have to be though. Say it turned out Africans really were predisposed towards aggression and tribalism. We wouldn't have to give up at attempts at foreign aid. We'd just need to draft policies that took those factors into account. It would actually help us, because we'd be able to predict in advance what won't work
*shrug*

The West is doomed and everyone knows that so why all the fuss?

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Couch wrote:
SM12 wrote:

According to a Rhod Gilbert comedy show, which I saw last night, camel spiders don't exist and are made up by the military to wind up civilians visiting Iraq/Afghanistan.
Probably Steersed already, but they exist, in fact they're their own Order, with something over 1000 different species. They grow up to six inches. The urban legend part is the the danger they present (negligible) and the size. They don't grow to the 15 inches depicted in some shoops depicting them on military camo.

From Steersapaedia:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camel_spider
I wonder if they're related to spiders in west Africa that are called the scorpion's horse-supposedly because a scorpion will ride on the back of one. They're big, fast, and dart around in a crazy way. One ran over my foot once before I could move it out of the way. They're scary looking but harmless.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Tigzy wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote: http://i.imgur.com/PwGv5WF.png

It's okay when...etc...
This one here is particularaly interesting, as it's a classic case of Peez's 'horde' coming to believe their own bullshit - namely that Peez's creeping out at this woman he called up on stage was 'pre-arranged'.

No it wasn't. Peez has never stated that this was at all arranged beforehand. Peez was simply very lucky that the stranger he pulled from the audience turned out to be okay with the bearded scrote going full horntard on her.

It's not the first time I've seen a hordlet pull the 'it was pre-arranged' shite when this matter crops up. I have little doubt it'll be the last, either.
Have we considered that PZ has the same facial recognition problem as his Becky? Maybe he forgot the woman's name and referred to her by the color of her blouse because he forgot the hour they spent arranging her public sexual harassment.

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

comhcinc wrote:
NoGodsEver wrote:
We need to read and write about bees and wasps to create a space that legitimizes them. Like many other animals (especially insects), bees and wasps are objectified by our culture in a way that allows us to treat them with absolute disrespect.

If we care about issues of oppression or any non-human animal at all, we need to radically rethink bees and wasps because oppressions are interconnected, uphold one another, and it is our moral obligation to protect victims. I certainly don't know if this is the best way to radically rethink bees and wasps, but it is hopefully one of many attempts.
My dogs stirred up a yellowjacket nest in my back yard a few days ago and one of them got stung a few times. Wasps can go fuck themselves.
I have never really like W.A.S.P. either. Fuck them.

http://images.sodahead.com/profiles/0/0 ... 03159.jpeg
Yeah. I guess they were more of an 80s thing I missed out on, although I remember them having a different look.

https://s16-us2.ixquick.com/cgi-bin/ser ... 6cfbd37884

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

For those who harp on in PZ's comment section (and PZ himself) that "just a joke" is no excuse, I'd just like to remind them what PZ's carbon copy thinks about the whole thing:

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/3391 ... edited.jpg

Of course, that didn't have anything to do with sexism but rather threatening to stab someone with a broken beer bottle. Not the same.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

NoGodsEver wrote:
paddybrown wrote:
Shatterface as Guest wrote:Feminist Julie Burchill in The Guardian back in 1999:
Julie Burchill isn't really a feminist. She's just a shit-stirrer, and she'll stir shit from whatever political position her employer wants her to. She's written for the Daily Mail as well as the Guardian. Even so, I'm really not comfortable with using the suicide of her son as a "gotcha".
Didn't know who she was, now I know that she's Christopher Hitchens in drag.

http://www.thejc.com/files/imagecache/b ... hill_0.jpg
I might fuck Hitchens if he had tits. Is that weird?

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Easy J wrote:
Yeah. I guess they were more of an 80s thing I missed out on, although I remember them having a different look.

http://i.imgur.com/HaoniSh.jpg
Was Phil in that band? Or his luck slightly better than that?

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Steersman wrote: But my point was that I rather doubt that all blacks carry that allele, and that all Finns carry the HTR2B allele: maybe only a small percentage do, but a percentage that is generally greater than many if not most other races.
I'll put it the same way Milo Yianoppoulos did when noting that 30% of lesbian relationships encounter domestic violence:

"...if you were offered a bowl of M&Ms and told that a third of them were poisoned, would you take one?"

:dance:

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

jet_lagg wrote: I might fuck Hitchens if he had tits. Is that weird?
A couple of years ago? No. Now? Yeah kinda.

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

comhcinc wrote:
Easy J wrote:

They did a lot of pyrotechnics & crazy stage stuff & Phil is still with us, so I doubt it.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Easy J wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
Easy J wrote:

They did a lot of pyrotechnics & crazy stage stuff & Phil is still with us, so I doubt it.
Phil is and has always been cooler that wasp.

[youtube]pn6S7IJ3i_I[/youtube]

NoGodsEver

Post by NoGodsEver »

Easy J wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
Easy J wrote:

That one dude had a codpiece with a circular sawblade on it. Phil would have been dead in a week.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Nerd at PZ's:
Who gives a shit what your opinion is, if you can’t back it up with evidence…Which you don’t.
opinion

evidence

http://mm-bbs.org/public/style_emoticon ... cepalm.gif

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Honestly, is the "Redhead" his nurse at the mental hospital or something?

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Pitchguest wrote:Honestly, is the "Redhead" his nurse at the mental hospital or something?
From what I understand, it's kinda the reverse - Nerd's missus is wheelchair-bound, and Nerd is her primary carer.

Must be bloody terrifying for the poor cow.

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

Peezus christ. Look at this neck beard:

https://i.imgur.com/ZrFIQb6.jpg

Please tell me that none of you fellows have actual neck beards. I've seen them before, even some 'epic' ones on reddit. For some reason this is the worst one I've seen.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

More from the House of Fantastical Lies that is Meyers's cesspit:

http://i.imgur.com/5ZnTmSC.png

Really? Mandelson was MP for the tough working class city of Hull. He was a tabloid hack. I'm fairly sure he wasn't out during most of that time, and in fact I'm pretty sure I remember him coming out.

Sort of. He was actually outed by a gay journalist:

http://i.imgur.com/NteKpd4.png

So, Nick Gotts, shove that up your "benighted" asshole. Sideways and covered in tabasco.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Pitchguest wrote:For those who harp on in PZ's comment section (and PZ himself) that "just a joke" is no excuse, I'd just like to remind them what PZ's carbon copy thinks about the whole thing:

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/3391 ... edited.jpg

Of course, that didn't have anything to do with sexism but rather threatening to stab someone with a broken beer bottle. Not the same.
Fucking tell me about it! I was the victim of that threat. :( I still have PTSD which has made me even less employable and forced me to drink beer out of cans instead of bottles.
The worst part of it was, Christ Clarke who flounced for the sins of the Horde, victim blamed me and banned me while waving his hand and saying that I shouldn't worry about internet threats.
He really should forget about coming back to Pharyngula and preaching proper tone and ethics. :drool:

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Tigzy wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:Honestly, is the "Redhead" his nurse at the mental hospital or something?
From what I understand, it's kinda the reverse - Nerd's missus is wheelchair-bound, and Nerd is her primary carer.

I genuinely believe what he writes about his home life, and it seems she is very sick while he provides absolutely amazing levels of love and care for her. I have tons of respect for him in this regard.

Please, let's not say anything more about Nerd's personal life.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Parody Accountant wrote:Peezus christ. Look at this neck beard:

Please tell me that none of you fellows have actual neck beards. I've seen them before, even some 'epic' ones on reddit. For some reason this is the worst one I've seen.
Some one needs to send that guy a fedora.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Tigzy wrote:

I genuinely believe what he writes about his home life, and it seems she is very sick while he provides absolutely amazing levels of love and care for her. I have tons of respect for him in this regard.

http://i.imgur.com/0BY7Ak3.png

http://www.clipular.com/c/5928619140448 ... qTzsGZw6As

I'd bet anything she finds him a massive pain in the arse, and would run from him if she could.

free thoughtpolice

Tigzy wrote:

I definitely feel sympathy for Nerd (and even more for Redhead).
Nerd is going through hell; his golden years are him working at a job for 8 hours and on call for the next 18. He strikes me as an assburglar that was lucky enough to hook up with a woman that could deal with it.
Best of luck to both of them, even if Nerd is a jackass!

Couch

Post by Couch »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:The Tim Hunt fiasco, in a nutshell:

SJWs: Tim Hunt seriously believes that men and women should work in segregated labs! Burn the witch!

Normal people: He says he was joking and that he's sorry. I mean, it was a really bad joke, obviously, and ill-timed to boot, but it sounds like he doesn't really believe that scientists should work in gender-segregated labs. Many colleagues and former students (men and women alike) have spoken up in his defense, and he seems to have a great track record. He's been publicly shamed already. Shouldn't we let it drop now that he's apologized and said it was a joke?

SJWs: But Deborah Blum says that when she spoke to him after his speech, he said that he was speaking from a place of "honesty." So it wasn't a joke at all, and he meant every word of it literally! He's just lying now to save face!

Normal people: Deborah Blum was actually pretty vague there. She didn't quote what he said to her; she just put "honesty" in quotation marks without making clear what part of his remarks it applied to ("His speech, he told me, was rooted in 'honesty,' not humor."). Perhaps the "honesty" was that he's had issues in the past with romances between lab partners? Or that chauvinism is still a problem in science? Or something else entirely from his speech (since, you know, Connie St. Louis only reported like 3 sentences of it)? We really can't tell, because Blum doesn't specify. In any case, you've now managed to force Hunt to resign from his post, which seems a bit disproportionate.

SJWs: Oh, so bitchez be lyin? Why are you so eager to defend a sexist old straight white male in STEM? The very fact that in the matter of what he meant you would take his word over that of Connie St. Louis and Deborah Blum reveals something ugly about you.

Normal people: But look here! Breaking news! Someone who was there has provided a fuller transcription of what he said, and the context shows that it was, in fact, a (very bad) joke. Look how he only uses "girls" during the joke part (while mimicking a chauvinist) and uses "women" before and after. That's a clear change of tone. And how about that "Now seriously"? And his explicit statements of support for women in science? I'm not defending the joke, but can we chalk it up to low social IQ rather than malice or misogyny? He clearly wasn't actually making a case for gender-segregated labs during a speech to women in science.

SJWs: Oh, so bitchez be lyin? Why should we take that so-called transcript at face value, when we have contradictory second-hand testimonies that say that there was no "Now seriously"?

Normal people: Well, maybe not everyone heard the "Now seriously." Maybe they didn't notice it while reeling from the joke that they didn't realize was a joke. Or maybe they're just feeling the pressure to double-down to save face now. Regardless, what reason is there to think that this leaked EU transcript is a fake? I'm not saying it's impossible that someone faked it in Hunt's defense, but doesn't a simple misunderstanding seem more likely?

SJWs: But even if it was a joke, it was a really bad joke, and it changes nothing, because only a misogynist would make it.

Normal people: I agree that it was a really bad joke. I said as much from the beginning, as did Hunt when he apologized. But how can you say it changes nothing? If it had initially been reported as a joke, he wouldn't have been forced to resign. The story caught traction precisely because it was thought that he was honestly advocating for gender-segregated labs. He wasn't. You and your friends picked up and ran with a story that turned out to be a lie, and you actively participated in a lynch mob that unjustly led to the destruction of his reputation and the loss of his position. Don't you think you owe him an apology?

SJWs: No, shitlord! Shut up and listen to the women: if they say he really meant it, then he really meant it! Or if he didn't really mean it, he's still an evil misogynist who deserved to lose his title anyway. Or something. Also, how dare you use the term "lynch mob"? Connie St. Louis is black, you racist!

:bjarte:
That's an impressively precise and succinct summary of how I saw it all unfold; On FTB, at least.

The comments to PZs last piece on Hunt yesterday were largely on point with your third last para.

I'd add to to your final para the charge by SJWs that invoking 'witch hunt' is sexist; playing into the 'woman-as-harridans' trope. That line of attack by the SJWs has left me stumped; I always thought that, in your garden-variety witch hunt, the hunted (here, Hunt) was the witch, not the pursuers (here, the SJWs)... :think:

Really?

Post by Really? »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Tigzy wrote:

I'll be happy to oblige when he stops lying and saying retarded bullshit in an attempt to ruin the private lives of others.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

{Regarding Aron Ra...}
Guestus Aurelius wrote:

It's an interesting thing, I think, when seemingly bright people with STEM sympathies but little hands-on experience in the humanities start to go SJW.

They think of themselves as skeptics because they believe in science and spurn claptrap. They become accustomed, I suspect, to being right. It feels so damn good to be right, doesn't it? To be right and confident? To feel like you're making the world a better place by promoting truth? To know that there's a Right Answer out there, and to know how to find it? To effortlessly dismiss bullshit and mercilessly ridicule its harmful peddlers by appealing to the Consensus of Experts?

And why should they be any less confident about their rightness when it comes to philosophy or politics or anything else? Being wrong is for the stupid people who believe in bullshit and don't know how to find the Right Answer. Being wrong makes the world a worse place!

So, what's the Right Answer? Just listen to the Experts.

Who are the Experts?

Well, are there Professional Academic Scholars with PhD's who publish in Peer-Reviewed Journals on the topic? If so, then surely they're the Experts, and we shouldn't deny their Consensus. After all, that's what we preach when it comes to science—trust the PhD's. Why should it be any different in the humanities? Doctorates are prestigious, and they don't just hand them out to ideologically compromised nincompoops who aren't well-trained in Objectively Finding the Right Answer. The supposed "liberal bias in higher education" is mere conspiratorial bullshit from right-wing extremists who don't believe in global warming or evolution. If there is a liberal bias in higher education, then it's only because the truth has a liberal bias!

And if you're not really the type of skeptic who investigates Professional Scholarly Academic Research first-hand, then you can spot Experts (on social media, say) by their tone. They'll be like you: confident, outspoken, outraged, and belittling as fuck, since that's how Good and Right People behave when smacking down harmful bullshit. Now there's an Expert! There's someone who knows exactly where the line in the sand is that separates Wrong-and-Harmful from Right-and-Good.

Okay, maybe I'm just blowing smoke. Overconfidence and simplistic thinking are, of course, pretty universal.

But when I see "skeptics" like Phil Plait and Sean Carroll throw all caution to the wind when there's a chance to show that they "support the cause" by actively participating in vicious public shaming campaigns and mindlessly parroting vapid cliches and unsupported claims, I do scratch my head.
Well said. And the PZ version consists of kneejerk rejection of the "Establishment" scientist whose careers are more impressive than his, as well as atheist authors & speakers of greater renown.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Just as I expected! He is a dickless wonder.

Wild Zontargs

Post by Wild Zontargs »

Good fucking god. I just stopped by reddit again, and the community has gone nuclear and started a general protest against the current management. Subforums are taking themselves offline in protest like mad, voat (a reddit-clone) is getting swamped by refugees and now just throws an "oops, heavy load" message, and the whole mess is now getting attention on tech news sites.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Wild Zontargs wrote:Good fucking god. I just stopped by reddit again, and the community has gone nuclear and started a general protest against the current management. Subforums are taking themselves offline in protest like mad, voat (a reddit-clone) is getting swamped by refugees and now just throws an "oops, heavy load" message, and the whole mess is now getting attention on tech news sites.
Here is a list of the subs that have gone silent.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SubredditDrama ... g_private/
The list
Some are NSFW (yes, this is that big) and I have no idea what some are. I'm only adding subreddits with 5K+ subs to this list, sorry /r/sexypizza[6] .

/r/4chan[7] (655,245 subscribers)
/r/animalsbeingjerks[8] (235,630)
/r/art[9] (3,256,241)
/r/askmen[10] (196,996)
/r/askreddit[11] (8,917,673)
/r/autos[12] (68,814)
/r/badphilosophy[13] (10,955)
/r/banana[14] (6,192)
/r/bestofstreamingvideo[15] (34,226)
/r/blackpeoplgifs[16] (87,663)
/r/blackpeopletwitter[17] (401,375)
/r/bookclub[18] (19,529)
/r/books[19] (5,103,352)
/r/burgers[20] (8,303)
/r/buttcoin[21] (5,894)
/r/buyitforlife[22] (170,159)
/r/candidfashionpolice[23] (54,309)
/r/cannabis[24] (28,112)
/r/centuryclub[25] (???)
/r/cinemagraphs[26] (105,915)
/r/circlejerk[27] (254,505)
/r/crappydesign[28] (189,355)
/r/crossfit[29] (33,678)
/r/dailydouble[30] (12,215)
/r/de_iama[31] (66,824)
/r/destiny[32] (9,764)
/r/dinosaurdrawings[33] (7,404)
/r/documentaries[34] (3,377,766)
/r/doesanybodyelse[35] (252,164)
/r/eatcheapandhealthy[36] (246,228)
/r/facebookcleavage[37] (22,221)
/r/facepalm[38] (375,433)
/r/fallout[39] (221,890)
/r/falloutlore[40] (11,572)
/r/falloutmods[41] (6,078)
/r/fatlogic[42] (92,483)
/r/fiftyfifty[43] (265,464)
/r/finalfantasy[44] (46,065)
/r/finance[45] (62,999)
/r/fnv[46] (18,529)
/r/fo3[47] (6,667)
/r/fo4[48] (16,897)
/r/foshelter[49] (9,400)
/f/fuckolly (9,150)
/r/gadgets[50] (3,427,275)
/r/gaming[51] (8,022,320)
/r/gaming4gamers[52] (29,239)
/r/gore[53] (49,886)
/r/graphicnovels[54] (8,812)
/r/gravityfalls[55] (22,501)
/r/greysanatomy[56] (7,243)
/r/hardcoreaww[57] (37,520)
/r/hiphopheads[58] (294,066)
/r/historicalrage[59] (5,970)
/r/historicalwhatif[60] (54,129)
/r/history[61] (3,431,562)
/r/iama[62] , the original (8,521,238)
/r/imgoingtohellforthis[63] (459,391)
/r/insightfulquestions[64] (38,413)
/r/interstellar[65] (11,100)
/r/intrusivethoughts[66] (22,116)
/r/jobfair[67] (18,920)
/r/karmaconspiracy[68] (58,592)
/r/latvianjokes[69] (29,022)
/r/law[70] (40,776)
/r/lazycats[71] (5,601)
/r/lewronggeneration[72] (52,233)
/r/lifeprotips[73] (4,112,364)
/r/listentothis[74] has locked submissions[75] (3,354,651)
/r/litecoin[76] (25,611)
/r/lookatmydog[77] (19,927)
/r/louisiana[78] (5,400)
/r/massivecock[79] (31,461)
/r/mineralporn[80] (20,594)
/r/morbidreality[81] (187,712)
/r/movies[82] (7,662,117)
/r/music[83] (7,391,288)
/r/netsec[84] (134,403)
/r/nsfwgif[85] (9,792)
/r/obscuremedia[86] (38,692)
/r/onoff[87] (168,990)
/r/paomustresign[88] (7,535)
/r/photography[89] (243,189)
/r/pics[90] has locked submissions (8,823,504)
/r/preggo[91] (5,596)
/r/rbi[92] (28,584)
/r/regularshow[93] (21,943)
/r/samsung[94] (6,634)
/r/science[95] (8,595,726)
/r/seo[96] (24,671)
/r/shittyreactiongifs[97] (111,647)
/r/spain[98] (5,829)
/r/splitdepthgifs[99] (41,023)
/r/splatoon[100] (18,031)
/r/srssucks[101] (12,505)
/r/starcitizen[102] (51,971)
/r/subredditcancer[103] (7,979)
/r/subredditdramadrama[104] (6,185)
/r/ted[105] (33,288)
/r/teenagers[106] (98,555)
/r/thelastairbender[107] (138,974)
/r/theonion[108] (10,749)
/r/thepopcornstand[109] (7,087)
/r/timanderic[110] given to /pol/ (20,852)
/r/tinder[111] (137,103)
/r/todayilearned[112] (8,782,268)
/r/torrents[113]
/r/trackers[114] (47,245)
/r/twitter[115] (8,402)
/r/ukpolitics[116] (36,450)
/r/unexpectedthuglife[117] (199,623)
/r/universityofreddit[118] (74,204)
/r/usenet[119] (21,516)
/r/videos[120] (8,082,138)
/r/wastedgifs[121] (108,569)
/r/wildernessbackpacking[122] (8,816)
/r/worldbuilding[123] (54,407)
/r/worstof[124] (35,435)
/r/wouldyoufuckmywife[125] (29,169)
/r/youdontsurf[126] (176,671)

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

AndrewV69 wrote:
BTW, Diamond has been criticized about getting some facts wrong, like for instance in New Guinea. Some of his critics are Anthropologists of one stripe or another though and I tend to not take those people terribly seriously.
Isn't New Guinea Diamond's specialty? As in he's spent considerable time living there over the past decades, speaks several of the local dialects, has close friends there, etc.?
I have to admit that I do know someone with a degree in Anthropology in real life and she seems to be level headed and sensible ... so I long ago decided not to being up the more seedy aspects of her brethren and sisters seeing as while she is not quite a doddering old fossil like myself, she is getting up there. She is also a bit squeamish, you should have seen the expression on her face at one of my Sunday dinners when I brought up the subject of polyandry in Tibet ... she refused to read the paper when I offered it to her.
Anthropology never recovered from Margaret Mead losing her virginity.

Wild Zontargs

Post by Wild Zontargs »

comhcinc wrote:Here is a list of the subs that have gone silent.
Here's a live feed of subs going down. It's updating dozens of times a minute right now.

CuntajusRationality

Post by CuntajusRationality »

Pitchguest wrote:Nerd at PZ's:
Who gives a shit what your opinion is, if you can’t back it up with evidence…Which you don’t.
opinion

evidence

http://mm-bbs.org/public/style_emoticon ... cepalm.gif
The best part is that Nerd is demanding evidence for an opinion that the other person explicitly denies espousing.
Nerd of Redhead wrote:Totally irrelevant bullshit argument. His Korea remarks were obvious sexual harassment. If you have a problem with that, show using of sexual harassment training where the recipient decides what is and isn’t harassment, that half the population wasn’t demeaned by his remarks.
humblepie wrote:I have no idea what you are on about. I agree with you entirely that Hunt’s comments were sexist and offensive and I never suggested otherwise. I just feel that the stuff about having sex with an audience member is equally sexist and offensive, if not more so.
If you have a problem with that, show using of sexual harassment training where offering to have sex with an audience member is acceptable.
Or else your unevidenced subjective opinion will be flooshed.
Nerd of Redhead wrote:PZ doesn’t need to respond. The fact that half the population, which includes femists males like myself, see it demeaning to women, and you present no evidence otherwise, makes your question moot. NO EVIDENCE, you have nothing to say. Questions aren’t evidence.
Nerd of Redhead wrote:What is your problem, since you have no evidence??? Why don’t you merely fade into the bandwidth with the other people who show with prima facie evidence by their posts they lack the understanding of CONTEXT.

CuntajusRationality

Post by CuntajusRationality »

Nerd is to "evidence" as Steersman is to "nigger".

free thoughtpolice

Nerd is a femist- you know nothing about their philosophy and I bet this is the first you've heard of them, so floosh!

free thoughtpolice

CuntajusRationality wrote:Nerd is to "evidence" as Steersman is to "nigger".
Speaking of Nerd and Steersman; any truth that FT and PZ are negotiating a trade? :think:

ConcentratedH2O, OM

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Speaking of Nerd and Steersman; any truth that FT and PZ are negotiating a trade? :think:
I am so fucking up for that.

Give me half an hour chatting with Nerd, and I could die a happy man.

What are you, Nerd? Can I entice you into revealing your source code by my clever probing? Do you actually know all of the universe's secrets?

Come on, blow my mind with your intergalactic knowledge.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

I've ordered Before The Dawn, thanks for all the recommendations.

You buggers better be careful, you might even edjimacate me!

https://ayearofholidays.files.wordpress ... ce-cap.jpg

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

comhcinc wrote:
jet_lagg wrote: I might fuck Hitchens if he had tits. Is that weird?
A couple of years ago? No. Now? Yeah kinda.
fuck you, necrophobe shitlord >:(

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

To extend some charity, I often do this to people I perceive as being homophobic as well. They'll make a joke I think is off color, and I'll respond by pretending to hit on them (I personally subscribe to the idea that nobody is 100% straight or gay, but I approach a zero on the kinsey scale). I take great joy in watching people recoil at the proposition. It's a sort of sexual trolling. I figure if the person is truly secure in their sexuality they won't be bothered by the joke, and might even play along for laughs. Then again there's the off chance they actually are gay and not into me (which would be awkward for them) or are gay and are into me (which is awkward for me as I explain I'm not gay, this has happened).

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Given that PZ has told me to fuck off - and in 24 or 30 point font, and red to boot - I kind of think that unlikely; sorry to disappoint my many fans. ;-)

Though I might enjoy the exchange, particularly if it were temporary, as I'd welcome the opportunity to talk to Giliell, among others including Jadehawk, without having them run away behind Myers' skirts.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

And while we're on the subject of being charitable. Shermertron has posted some good examples of actual dialogue over at Myers'

https://twitter.com/Shermertron

Not that any of them would ever admit the pit also has honest dialogue (or if they did, they'd be banned).

And I don't know how to link to specific tweets. Sorry for the general URL.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

jet_lagg wrote:
Steersman wrote: But my point was that I rather doubt that all blacks carry that allele, and that all Finns carry the HTR2B allele: maybe only a small percentage do, but a percentage that is generally greater than many if not most other races.
I'll put it the same way Milo Yianoppoulos did when noting that 30% of lesbian relationships encounter domestic violence:

"...if you were offered a bowl of M&Ms and told that a third of them were poisoned, would you take one?"

:dance:
:) If my life hung in the balance then I suppose I would screw up my courage, get all flinty-eyed, and make the best choice available. Kind of like Indiana Jones in the Last Crusade with the different Holy Grails on offer.

But of course, the choice isn't quite so stark or draconian, although relationships are kind of a gamble, a serious crap-shoot predicated on some conscious or unconscious cost-benefit analyses. Something we generally get better at with practice. Although, as my father used to say, "too soon old, and too late smart".

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Wild Zontargs wrote:
Here's a live feed of subs going down. It's updating dozens of times a minute right now.
Umm. Who really gives a shit?

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Lsuoma wrote:
Wild Zontargs wrote:
Umm. Who really gives a shit?
I don't all the porn is still up. So is the wrestling.

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

jet_lagg wrote:

To extend some charity, I often do this to people I perceive as being homophobic as well. They'll make a joke I think is off color, and I'll respond by pretending to hit on them (I personally subscribe to the idea that nobody is 100% straight or gay, but I approach a zero on the kinsey scale). I take great joy in watching people recoil at the proposition. It's a sort of sexual trolling. I figure if the person is truly secure in their sexuality they won't be bothered by the joke, and might even play along for laughs. Then again there's the off chance they actually are gay and not into me (which would be awkward for them) or are gay and are into me (which is awkward for me as I explain I'm not gay, this has happened).
I actually really only had a problem with the beard man.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

jet_lagg wrote:And while we're on the subject of being charitable. Shermertron has posted some good examples of actual dialogue over at Myers'

https://twitter.com/Shermertron

Not that any of them would ever admit the pit also has honest dialogue (or if they did, they'd be banned).

And I don't know how to link to specific tweets. Sorry for the general URL.
Right-click on the "Details" which brings up a menu which includes "Copy link address"; click on that and then post the link here and enclose it with the "tweet" brackets:

Code: Select all

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Shermertron/status/616723660250988544[/tweet]
Which gives:

blitzem

Post by blitzem »

comhcinc wrote: Phil is and has always been cooler that wasp.

[youtube]pn6S7IJ3i_I[/youtube]
Take the worst bits of KISS, Crue and Dio and you have the musical calamity that was W.A.S.P.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Easy J wrote:

https://s16-us2.ixquick.com/cgi-bin/ser ... 6cfbd37884
Any dictionary worth its price should have a picture of Blackie Lawless under the entry for "cunt". Fucking ass kicked us and two other bands out of our own backstage area because he wanted all the premises to himself and his entourage. Lucky it wasn't raining outside.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Steersman wrote:
jimthepleb wrote:
James Caruthers wrote: Maybe God exists and he's a slymepitter. :cdc:
I love the 'pit and will defend it against all comers except those that claim there is racism here because Steersman. But God is a GamerGater.
Or maybe you don't really understand the meaning, implications, and definition for the word racism:
rac·ism (rā′sĭz′əm)
n.
1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.
Both clearly apply.

1) Steers believes that the white race-oops I mean western culture, is in all respects superior to the black race-I mean, Islamic people and culture, and that niggers-oh I mean Muslims, are by their nature unfit to remain in white society-sorry, I mean western culture, if they are not willing to betray every aspect of their black-sorry, I mean Muslim culture.

2) Steers believes on the basis established in 1) that all niggers-sorry, I mean Muslims, should be deported from white-I mean, western, society. This is a clear discriminatory violation of human rights on the basis of race-oh sorry, I mean religion. Under this system, Sufis, Sunnis, and all peaceful Muslims who do not wish to commit blasphemy would be forcefully deported, or perhaps put in camps, since deportation could be expensive and time-consuming, and we must put them somewhere while we are arranging all the transportation details.

Race is not analogous to religion in all cases. But if someone wants to apply a textbook racist argument to a religious group, then the comparison is applicable.

James Caruthers

Couch wrote:
SM12 wrote:

According to a Rhod Gilbert comedy show, which I saw last night, camel spiders don't exist and are made up by the military to wind up civilians visiting Iraq/Afghanistan.
Probably Steersed already, but they exist, in fact they're their own Order, with something over 1000 different species. They grow up to six inches. The urban legend part is the the danger they present (negligible) and the size. They don't grow to the 15 inches depicted in some shoops depicting them on military camo.

From Steersapaedia:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camel_spider
Both the wikipedia link and its comment triggered me.

But I bet the spiders spent more time reading Novum Organum than Steers did.

James Caruthers

"content" not comment.