Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
Dave

Re: How 'bout them Hawks!?

Post by Dave »

AndrewV69 wrote: (Note for the impaired: Clearly some exaggeration for dramatic impact there, but my point pretty much stands for the majority of women. They have no respect for any man who does not stand up to them.)
Assuming your conflation of physical assault and "standing up to them" was for dramatic impact, would you have any respect for someone who does not stand up to you on occasion? As a friend? As a collegue? As a lover? Why would anyone think the majority of women are so different?

Jesper

Post by Jesper »

It means Game Over.

PZ is done.

Let him roast in his own infamy. :evil: :violin: :violin:

TheMudbrooker

Post by TheMudbrooker »

dogen wrote:
Twiglets
Bacon flavor fries
Scampi flavor fries
Custard cremes
Ginger nuts
Pickled eggs
Jellied eels
Mushy peas
Real chocolate (without butyric acid, a major ingredient in vomit and Hershey's)
Pickled eggs unavailable outside the UK?
Clearly you've never been out drinking in Wisconsin (or northern Minnesota or the UP for that matter) nearly every neighborhood tavern has pickled eggs, pickled pork hocks and Blind Robins to munch on. The best ones have pickled heart too.

Git

Post by Git »

Southern wrote:Oh goody, one of the Linux's updates that came today is "JasPer JPEG-2000 runtime library".
Ha, yeah, noticed that too last night on my Xubuntu desktop.

twocunts

Post by twocunts »

Lsuoma wrote:
twocunts wrote:Can someone who is part of the in-crowd, the backchannel, the hep cats, whatever... please explain why I need to 'Beware the Bite of the Bum Snake!'?
It's very much a backchannel thing - I have a colonoscopy scheduled for 90 minutes from now.
Oh OK. Still not certain that a colonoscope 'bites' (IANAD duh), but hope it's a friendly bum snake all the same. Will you be changing your avatar any time soon to show us, er, the real you?

Snapfingers

Post by Snapfingers »

Probably niggerd, but anyway:
On FTB comments lousy Canucks rant about Thunderf00t:
We are Plethora, Protectors of the Orb of Tranquility ~+~ Seated on the Throne of Fantasia says
January 25, 2015 at 8:38 pm CST
What are the chances of developing a BlockBot-like solution for YouTube? Is that something that could be done by those with the right skills, or is that impossible even in theory?
As long as free speech is allowed, there will always be a need for systems, tools, and techniques to curtail that freedom when it’s abused and used to hurt others. YouTube and other social media sites really need to start offering a more robust set of options in this regard.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/lousycanuck ... more-14220

This trolling is delicious. :clap: :clap: :dance: :dance:

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

TheMudbrooker wrote:
dogen wrote:
Twiglets
Bacon flavor fries
Scampi flavor fries
Custard cremes
Ginger nuts
Pickled eggs
Jellied eels
Mushy peas
Real chocolate (without butyric acid, a major ingredient in vomit and Hershey's)
Clearly you've never been out drinking in Wisconsin (or northern Minnesota or the UP for that matter) nearly every neighborhood tavern has pickled eggs, pickled pork hocks and Blind Robins to munch on. The best ones have pickled heart too.
Blind Robbins. Those are fucking great! On a chunk of crusty bread with cream cheese. Now I want some. Pickled eggs - not so much. Anyone who disagrees I will sick an insane Dane onto them.

Jesper

Post by Jesper »

Dear Pit.

Move on to other SJW's.

I told you from the start what my purpose with signing up here was.

To take PZ and FTB down.

That is now done.

On to the next major SJW soapbox.

If you can find them.

NEO

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

And there he is.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Dave wrote:
My wife is a large fan of Indian cuisine. Id humor her, but it was all "meh" to me until I visited London, where I had some real curry. Here in the NYC area, you can find some decent curry if you look for it, but most places (~9/10) are shit and most people dont know any better.
Yep - when you go to an "Indian restaurant" in the US, ask for a vindaloo or a phal (if you can even find them), and they ask how spicy you want it.

WTF?

:doh:

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

Jesper wrote:
...To take PZ and FTB down.
[John Cleese Voice ON]

Oh Yeah ...?

How Much ... ?

You wanna join the slymepit you'd Really have to want to take PZ and FTB down.

[John Cleese voice OFF]

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

SJWs and fundies have soooo much in common.

If you disagree with them, they desperately try to get the moral high ground, going so far as to lie about what you said. Then they simply devolve into accusing you of being foul, degenerate, an *actual* Nazi.

Facts are just met with "but u r a Nazi psychopath" etc.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

TheMudbrooker wrote:
dogen wrote:
Twiglets
Bacon flavor fries
Scampi flavor fries
Custard cremes
Ginger nuts
Pickled eggs
Jellied eels
Mushy peas
Pork pies. Don't forget the pork pies.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

I swore I would never put anyone on ignore, but it turns out that I lied. And I like it.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

twocunts wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
twocunts wrote:Can someone who is part of the in-crowd, the backchannel, the hep cats, whatever... please explain why I need to 'Beware the Bite of the Bum Snake!'?
It's very much a backchannel thing - I have a colonoscopy scheduled for 90 minutes from now.
Oh OK. Still not certain that a colonoscope 'bites' (IANAD duh), but hope it's a friendly bum snake all the same. Will you be changing your avatar any time soon to show us, er, the real you?
Well, they used a heated loop to bite off polyps if they find them.

No change with the avatar.

BTW, I went through the process without being sedated. It was quite uncomfortable at times, but kinda cool to be doing MASSIVE CO2 farts, with the odd bits of liquid dribbling out of my rusty sheriff's badge.

Plus, I wanted to watch since only by doing that could I get to understand how far up his own arse PeeZus is.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

im not clicking anything today. Is it mykeru day?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Southern wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Very late to this party but given its in the page header.

Am I right in thinking that Damion successfully rang all our bells with his tweet and reduced us to blubbering "I can't even .... " wreaks?

Based on franc repeating a dox and not having anyone call him out immediately because the (delicious) potential of bagging the blockbot honky trans was understandably too tempting?

I note the dox was removed when attention was drawn to it. Though with far less vitriol than when I repeated content publicly available on Latsots "about me" page and re-trumpeted by him on Thunderdome.

It's a funny world.
Where did franc doxed anyone? Either I wasn't paying enough attention or I don't understand dox as you do.
No, I said he repeated a doxx (slight change of emphasis) with a link to the doxing page.
This week, the baboons in general, and xxxxxxx (aka Aratina), knocked the bottom of the filth barrel yet again.
This Aratina's dude, cunt though he is, was flushed into the open in a typical unwilling doxy way by Gundar (sic?) and the "name that problem" post.

Anyway, point was Damion was yanking our "quick hide any ref to Skeptickle" but "don't bat an eyelid at Aratina" tribal chains.

And we danced to his bell.

TheMudbrooker

Post by TheMudbrooker »

Lsuoma wrote:
TheMudbrooker wrote:
dogen wrote:
Twiglets
Bacon flavor fries
Scampi flavor fries
Custard cremes
Ginger nuts
Pickled eggs
Jellied eels
Mushy peas
Pork pies. Don't forget the pork pies.
Dammit, I forgot the pickled turkey gizzards

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

It is PG, fucker.

Dave

Post by Dave »

Lsuoma wrote:
Dave wrote:
My wife is a large fan of Indian cuisine. Id humor her, but it was all "meh" to me until I visited London, where I had some real curry. Here in the NYC area, you can find some decent curry if you look for it, but most places (~9/10) are shit and most people dont know any better.
Yep - when you go to an "Indian restaurant" in the US, ask for a vindaloo or a phal (if you can even find them), and they ask how spicy you want it.

WTF?

:doh:
I have occasionally responded to that question with, "Pretend Im not American."

I have found about half a dozen places to get a phaal.

Shatterface as Guest

Post by Shatterface as Guest »

TheMudbrooker wrote:Pickled eggs unavailable outside the UK?
What kind of sick fuck blinds a robin?

I can't even... literally shaking with rage right now.

Shatterface

feathers

Post by feathers »

Lsuoma wrote:Yep - when you go to an "Indian restaurant" in the US, ask for a vindaloo or a phal (if you can even find them), and they ask how spicy you want it.
A phallus? I think I know where to find one. "Spicy" he said, nudge nudge.

Dave

Post by Dave »

Lsuoma wrote:
twocunts wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: It's very much a backchannel thing - I have a colonoscopy scheduled for 90 minutes from now.
Well, they used a heated loop to bite off polyps if they find them.

No change with the avatar.
Last time the doc gave me 3 pics, they were in an envelope with the after-care instructions and other paperwork. Dunno, maybe he thought I needed a souvenir? Anyway, the Missus would not let me use them on the Xmas card the following year. Some people have no sense of humor.

Shatterface as Guest

Last time the doc gave me 3 pics, they were in an envelope with the after-care instructions and other paperwork. Dunno, maybe he thought I needed a souvenir? Anyway, the Missus would not let me use them on the Xmas card the following year. Some people have no sense of humor.
A really strong phall has the same effect as an orally administered heated loop.

Shatterface

Southern

Post by Southern »

Brive1987 wrote: No, I said he repeated a doxx (slight change of emphasis) with a link to the doxing page.
This week, the baboons in general, and xxxxxxx (aka Aratina), knocked the bottom of the filth barrel yet again.
This Aratina's dude, cunt though he is, was flushed into the open in a typical unwilling doxy way by Gundar (sic?) and the "name that problem" post.

Anyway, point was Damion was yanking our "quick hide any ref to Skeptickle" but "don't bat an eyelid at Aratina" tribal chains.

And we danced to his bell.
I thought that Aratina's name was on his own Twatter, so I didn't even notice that (much like I don't even notice when people use oolon's real name, since the turd appeared on teevee). Then I did something that I usually don't do: actually went to Twatter and looked, and in fact there's no real name attached to it (unless the part where you look isn't on the left corner of the screen - fuck, that site is useless), which is fine by me because now I'm positive that I don't know Aratina's name, since I didn't pay attention when franc used it, and I didn't find it on his own Twatter.

So, yeah, bad form, franc shouldn't have done it (unless Aratine took his name off since then). That doesn't excuse Damon's offer for his phone number.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

It was on twitter after he was doxxed, much as Skep owned her name, after she was doxxed.

There is no evidence that the dude wanted his name and nym linked pre outing, which makes publishing and repeating that original linkage verboten. No?

dogen

Post by dogen »

TheMudbrooker wrote:
dogen wrote:
Twiglets
Bacon flavor fries
Scampi flavor fries
Custard cremes
Ginger nuts
Pickled eggs
Jellied eels
Mushy peas
I'll have to ask when I'm next in the Village Bar!

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Oh and Damion rings bells with just enough basis to rile.

The trick is in managing the response.

"Trolling with higher intent"

dogen

Post by dogen »

Shatterface as Guest wrote:
A really strong phall has the same effect as an orally administered heated loop.

Shatterface
And then a rectally administered heated loop. That's the sign of a good curry; it greets you at both ends (and, in my case, gives me facial tics if it's a real burner).

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Regarding Richard Carrier ...

I've been on a re-read binge of Charles Dickens the last few weeks. Currently I'm reading Nicholas Nickleby, and I came across this sentence (regarding the character, Mr Knag) that immediately made me think of Richard Intellectual Artillery and Smartest Man In the World Carrier:
The fact is, that he did find so much in the books he read applicable to his own misfortunes, and did find himself in every respect so much like the heroes -- because of course he is conscious of his own superiority, as we all are, and very naturally -- that he took to scorning everything, and became a genius; and I am quite sure that he is at this very present moment writing another book.
Right on the money. :dance:

dogen

Post by dogen »

All this curry talk reminded me of this

[youtube]i1o78X0BQ5k[/youtube]

Sidenote: Craig Charles -- falsely accused of rape. From Wikipedia:
After being cleared, Charles spoke of the need to restore anonymity for those accused of rape. He stated that "the fact that my name and address along with my picture can appear on the front of the papers before the so-called 'victim' has even signed a statement proves that anonymity for rape defendants is a must and that the law must be changed."
Obviously he's an Arch-Shitduke of Rape Culture.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Dave wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote: (Note for the impaired: Clearly some exaggeration for dramatic impact there, but my point pretty much stands for the majority of women. They have no respect for any man who does not stand up to them.)
Assuming your conflation of physical assault and "standing up to them" was for dramatic impact, would you have any respect for someone who does not stand up to you on occasion? As a friend? As a collegue? As a lover? Why would anyone think the majority of women are so different?
Exactly. So why do so many of "us" do so? Even in the service of "equality" (the irony of it all)?

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Brive1987 wrote:It was on twitter after he was doxxed, much as Skep owned her name, after she was doxxed.

There is no evidence that the dude wanted his name and nym linked pre outing, which makes publishing and repeating that original linkage verboten. No?
The first time I saw his real name mentioned was on that TERF post, however I don't think they strictly speaking doxxed him. I think he revealed his name and picture a short time before Brennan wrote that blockbot team post. I was able to find several examples of him apparently intentionally revealing his name and photo that must have existed before the TERF post (because they were obviously posted before Brennans), which I presumed must have been where Brennan and her TERF mates got his name in the first place.

As I said previously, I presumed Aratina revealed his RL name around about the time the blockbot was getting a lot of publicity to try to get his fair share of the blame credit for writing the thing.

So I don't think revealing Aratina's name is fair to claim as a doxxing.

Some of the other members of the blockbot may have really been doxxed in that Brennan post - but I have no real knowledge of them so I wouldn't be able to presume one way or the other.

I think a major problem with claims of doxxing is that we have no agreed definition.
Without us agreeing what constitutes doxxing we are talking past each other.

I tend to see it as revealing private personal information with the aim of causing real life harassment.

A classic example would be the AVFM page where they doxxed women they hated for various reasons (some were dangerous criminals, while a lot were simply idiotic university student SJWs.

Or skepchick's doxxing of Skep tickle.

The closest we have seen to that behaviour here was Vacula with Surly Amy's address - and even that case was more unwitting stupidity on Vacula's part rather than intentional harassment.

The slymepit is a terrible place to post an intentional doxxing for the simple reason that its a fast moving thread and will be lost in the stream of new posts in a could of hours (and that is presuming that it wasn't deleted by Lsuoma or one of the mods).

To be fair we could say the same about the pharyngula comment section.

A real doxxing requires the ability to keep the information up-front and disseminated to enough people - which is why the twitter account of someone with enough followers seems a perfect tool for this job.

In other words, whether commenters on here or pharyngula intend to doxx or not (and we are generally agreed that we, here, do not intend to do so), the real damage is done by twitterers with large numbers of followers who publish private information with the implicit motive of inciting retaliation.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Suet Cardigan wrote:Encyclopedia Dramatica current Article of the Now is about Shanley Kane:

https://encyclopediadramatica.se/Shanley_Kane
That is a thing of beauty. If we only had one about Myers with that happy ending...

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Brive1987 wrote:Oh and Damion rings bells with just enough basis to rile.

The trick is in managing the response.

"Trolling with higher intent"
If by 'trolling with higher intent', you mean, 'I made them think I'm an even bigger twat, LOL I SURE TROLLED THEM!' then sure.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

feathers wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:There are actual innocent civilians in the middle. And we are, in fact, almost carpet bombing them (it helped the Kurds a lot in Kobané).
I thought Kurd Kobane was already dead.

Ok. that made me laugh out loud. Well done, feathers.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Sarkeesian is so thrilled at her fundraising success after the Utah threat thing she has decided to post some more and PZ has a mini post up about it.
https://archive.today/L4UaW
The irony is that half of the abusive tweets she is getting are mild in comparison to the kind of invective you see at Pharyngula, and the worst of these threats are pretty much in line with the "die in a fire" and "get raped with a dead porcupine".
Some are almost as bad as pz's remarks about shanking xtians though.
How do you get a gig paying in the 6 figures for just putting up with empty threats on the internet? :think: I could use that kind of cash.

Michael J

Post by Michael J »

Southern wrote:
HunnyBunny wrote:That Nugent chap is at it again http://www.michaelnugent.com/2015/01/27 ... -pz-myers/

Nice he thanks Jan Steen.
I can't help but to think that Peez and Two Cows just laugh at Nugent every time he makes another post about the smears. They don't care a fuck about setting the record straight. And the worst part is, the only thing they could lose from this is respect among the atheists - which they don't have much to begin with.

Peezus and Two Cows are trolling Nugent and enjoying every minute of it.
I disagree. I think that if they were enjoying it they would take Michael on as it generates hits (revenue) for them. They are keeping their head down glad that it is a relatively obscure (To Americans) atheist. Imagine it the media picked up the story - White Middle Aged washed up professor who has a history of an interest in rape porn - slanders a female productive scientist (ERV) - Doxes a working doctor etc. The SJW crowd would be on him in a second

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

screwtape wrote:
HunnyBunny wrote:That Nugent chap is at it again http://www.michaelnugent.com/2015/01/27 ... -pz-myers/

Well done, Jan. I'd stand you a rum and black and a plate of vindaloo if I could.
It's the thought that counts. Cheers.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Grim Gandango fans: Grim Fandango has been remastered, and is now available on Steam.

Just thought ya'll might want to know.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Sarkeesian is so thrilled at her fundraising success after the Utah threat thing she has decided to post some more and PZ has a mini post up about it.
https://archive.today/L4UaW
The irony is that half of the abusive tweets she is getting are mild in comparison to the kind of invective you see at Pharyngula, and the worst of these threats are pretty much in line with the "die in a fire" and "get raped with a dead porcupine".
Some are almost as bad as pz's remarks about shanking xtians though.
How do you get a gig paying in the 6 figures for just putting up with empty threats on the internet? :think: I could use that kind of cash.
There are definitely a few open rape threats there, though. Not nice at all. This one -

http://media.tumblr.com/59afc493b4a6938 ... qikfve.jpg

- has such a high level of WTFery about it, it's difficult to say if it's just an exceptionally dense troll or someone unhinged enough to be genuinely concerned about.

It'd be curious to see if Thunderf00t gets a similar amount of tweets of this 'quality' during a week. I wouldn't be surprised if he has.

free thoughtpolice

Tigzy wrote:
There are definitely a few open rape threats there, though. Not nice at all. This one -
Ex-Pharyngula mod, internet genius, and Wile E.Coyote fan Chris Clarke could calm her fears and tell her to ignore the threats the way he did to me - don't worry they can't come through the computer screen at you.
Or is that no longer Pharyngula policy any more?

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Tigzy wrote:
Ex-Pharyngula mod, internet genius, and Wile E.Coyote fan Chris Clarke could calm her fears and tell her to ignore the threats the way he did to me - don't worry they can't come through the computer screen at you.
Or is that no longer Pharyngula policy any more?
I am 100% behind the idea of those people being charged with making threats. Assholes like that are not helping anyone with anything.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Prediction: When New Ghostbusters movie tanks it won't be blame on the fact that it is bad but on the fact that the cast is all female and will be used as proof that women truly are hated in our society.

aratina

Post by aratina »

Hi.
another lurker wrote:Hey aratina

Everyone at the pit mocks comhinc mercilessly

By your logic, he would be justified in doxxing every one of us and getting us fired from our jobs...
:lol: :lol:
Shatterface as Guest wrote:Are bears moral agents? Do we hold them morally responsible for their actions?

Shatterface
I prefer the understanding of morality as simply a way to take sides in group conflict. Bears don't have language, so they don't have morality. But I still wouldn't want to get on a bear's bad side.
Snapfingers wrote:What a stupid fucking analogy!
Unless you're saying PZ and Rebecca have the same morals, intelligence and decency as a wild animal?
Heh. Glad you liked it.

Several others made similar arguments to HunnyBunny below.
HunnyBunny wrote:Here's another example of justification -

She was wearing a short skirt, low cut top and drunk. It was awful she got raped, but should have thought of that before she went out...

It was awful those cartoonists were murdered for drawing pictures, but...

It was awful how that blogger got sentenced to 1000 lashes, but he should have thought of that before he wrote those words...

It was awful how that woman was murdered by her husband, but she should have thought before talking to that other guy at the pub...

Victim blaming sure is fun, should at least be up for consideration huh...
What I would ask you is why, as you seem to imply, you think those examples all show unjustified behavior? Could you explain that? Then, maybe you will see a distinction.
comhcinc wrote:
Shatterface as Guest wrote:Are bears moral agents? Do we hold them morally responsible for their actions?

Shatterface
I do. They can ride bicycles.

http://www.strangefeed.com/wp-content/u ... s-Bike.jpg
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Ok, justifications, like throwing rocks at a bear as compared to making an offhand joke on an obscure website.

Nope, still don't see it.
It was a metaphor, Phil.
jimthepleb wrote:Why does anyone have the idea that it is within their rights to punish anyone else? That's some fucking outrageous arrogance.
Oh and hi ratty and fuck off.
Hi Pleb. My question exactly. Why is anyone here trying to punish PZ et al? I don't get it. It's outrageous arrogance!
Tribble wrote:A forum that so small (so, so small!) has a low-key joke on it that is morphed into a COMPLETE AND UTTER LIE of Illegal and Unethical Medical Disclosure (which was fucking impossible) by Myers and is used to justify trying to harass a woman at work (and hopefully get her fired). A woman who, by herself, does more good for humanity in a single day than Myers has done in his entire fucking career.

It's so disproportionate and uncalled for...
Did she get fired? Not that I know of. Did they even care? And let's not act like she was the only one in the whole teeny tiny place making "low-key jokes" like that about him.
Shatterface as Guest wrote:If a bear rips someone's face off they shoot it. Doesn't matter whether it was 'provoked'. We treat animals according to the danger they represent not according to any sense of their moral responsibility.

Shatterface
OK, I have to say that is the best response! :lol:
Tribble wrote:The cave didn't go to Myers.
:lol:

free thoughtpolice

Commie wrote:
I am 100% behind the idea of those people being charged with making threats. Assholes like that are not helping anyone with anything.
Here is the threat made against me on Pharyngula, made by one of the horde:
threat.JPG
(29.45 KiB) Downloaded 157 times
In true Pharyngula fashion justice, I was the one banned, and the mod told me to suck it up, Tethys wasn't going to come through the screen at me. The supposedly non-sexist commenters told me not to worry because it was only a woman threatening me.
Regardless, in this case I don't think it was necessary to involve the authorities.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

British chancellor George Osborne, giving Greg Laden a lesson in inadvertantly embarrasing photo ops:

http://i.imgur.com/K2h08Uh.jpg

Greg's original cock-up, reposted because it still makes him look like a dick:

http://i.imgur.com/68LzvLv.jpg

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Commie wrote:
threat.JPG
In true Pharyngula fashion justice, I was the one banned, and the mod told me to suck it up, Tethys wasn't going to come through the screen at me. The supposedly non-sexist commenters told me not to worry because it was only a woman threatening me.
Regardless, in this case I don't think it was necessary to involve the authorities.
I agree with you on that. it is pretty obviously that colorful language is being used and not a threat. Much like most of the harassment that Feminist Frequency is getting. If you look over her list you will see a lot of that colorful language being used, but there are also some direct "I will kill you" or "I will rape you" tweets and I absolutely would like to see them charged.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

comhcinc wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:Commie wrote:
threat.JPG
I agree with you on that. it is pretty obviously that colorful language is being used and not a threat. Much like most of the harassment that Feminist Frequency is getting. If you look over her list you will see a lot of that colorful language being used, but there are also some direct "I will kill you" or "I will rape you" tweets and I absolutely would like to see them charged.
Here's a new video of Richard Dawkins reading his hate mail. It's done in a humourous way, although I'm sure anything that looked serious wold be given to the relevant authorities.

[youtube]gW7607YiBso[/youtube]

Point is, this isn't a woman thing, or a guy thing, or a feminist thing, it's a some people are shits thing. The tribal claims about online harassment need to stop, and the phenomena should be investigated on a scientific level to find out what is motivating people to act like psychotic wannabe maniacs online. And then society needs to decide what to do about, do these people lose their right to online interaction, are they criminally punished, or rehabilitated?

free thoughtpolice

commie wrote:
Out of about 60 or 70 tweets, about a dozen could even conceivably construed as threats. Out of that dozen tweets that are at least technically threats, some of those, not all, I think are serious enough to point out to the authorities.
The threat I got was a direct threat; it named me and claimed action was imminent. I fully realized that there was zero threat, especially when taken in context.

Post by Guest »

Tribble wrote:
Suet Cardigan wrote:Encyclopedia Dramatica current Article of the Now is about Shanley Kane:

https://encyclopediadramatica.se/Shanley_Kane
That is a thing of beauty. If we only had one about Myers with that happy ending...

It's funny, but the best thing in that article is probably the Milo picture:

https://images.encyclopediadramatica.se ... thfox.jpeg

aratina

Post by aratina »

Aneris wrote:Welcome, Aratina. Here’s the traditional basket of lynx:

Nice to see someone who can (maybe) leave past grudges behind (I don’t have any, for the record).

I guess others tackled most of it already, yet let's look at the facts.
  1. Skep Tickle posted under that name.
  2. While a medic in real life, she neither had special information about the case, nor any professional relationship with PZ Myers.
  3. Her comment was at least speculative. No facts were established. It was either a joke or an interpretation of information provided in the public.
  4. She made a comment in this very forum.
  5. Posts made by anonymous people normally don’t have much weigth. There is no authority attached to it and none comes by knowing she is an MD in real life.
  6. Posts in this forum get buried by new comments quickly. A single post has not much signficance.
  7. There was no indication that her comment hived off in any way. I had the impression that when PZ Myers posted his doxx, it came out of the left field.
Hi, and thank you for the lynx! I still haven't forgotten about when I was wronged by some, but I'll try to ignore that while here. I take it from those seven points that overall, you think she felt safe (from retaliation) saying those things about him here. A safe space? :o
Aneris wrote:Her original dox came about because she commented on Ophelia Benson’s blog who was annoyed by it. In context of the stuff I’ve read over time, I wonder what makes Skep’s comment so special. It was in no way more “nasty” than what this movement routinely coughs up. Now she was doxxed and somehow it’s rationalized. With roles reversed, ten people would have written angry blog posts pointing out how somehow a rare woman was subject to this treatment. That this was obviously misogyny. But you know that only goes in one direction.
I don't think misogyny or sexism or whatever you call it only comes from men, though; plenty of women participate in it as well. I understand that it wasn't more nasty than a slew of other things said by others, so point taken. IIRC, she actually outed herself on some blog, not that other people did that to her, which is one of the points I made earlier that it wasn't like her info was private before she was called out forever and ever by the Internets which don't forget. Damion has argued, I believe, that republication with intent to damage (whether justified or not) is what "doxxxing" should really mean.
Aneris wrote:Ms Benson, and Ms Zvan who did the original doxxing at the time have not declared a ban and did not write that Skep Tickle should not try to comment anymore on their respective sites (not that I am aware of). If pronouncing such things on an individual basis is such a hassle, a simple line would have done it. Maybe stating that people with a forum account here aren’t welcome at all. Then you can be professional and when an instance arises, you can calmly replace the post while in moderation queue (not even paying attention to the text) with a message that reads: “Skep Tickle is registered on the slymepit, and Rule 23 states that such people aren’t welcome here, OB” and then put that live. Clean, professional and good. If such rules aren’t respected, you can still go with the hard and fast ban/blocking.
When PZ had a list of who was banned, he got yelled at for it. When we made a list of who The Block Bot blocked, we got yelled at for it. Because of that, I don't think making lists of who is banned is held in high regard here. Also, it's difficult to know if and how a person moderates their blog. Some silently do it, others make a big show of it. There isn't really a professional rule about it.
Aneris wrote:Instead, we live in a weird artificial fairytale universe where “opponents” know, yet can’t avoid each other. With all the tools available, it looks like people aren’t really trying very hard. In general that wouldn't be a problem, if people would at least be honest about it.
You'd have to say that about all sides in the matter, wouldn't you?
Aneris wrote:What’s clear is that some people don’t like it when they are quoted “back”. PZ Myers is such a person who hates his own words showing up somewhere, perhaps in an equivalent of gumby quotes and then commented upon. The same is true for Ophelia Benson and others. Then, they invent rationalisations why other people somehow can’t do that. Maybe they’re obsessive? Maybe they should rather spent with “Witch of the Week” and leave PZ Myers et al alone? But nobody really buys it, but their most hardcore followers.
I rather think it is that people don't like having their own words quotemined--taken out of context and repeated in a completely oddball way from what was intended. Say, that's one of the things I liked about Michael Nugent's approach when I first heard about him, how he always wanted people to ask for clarification rather than assuming and concluding their understanding of their opponent's words was correct. Also, people always invent rationalizations. Our brains do that automatically. We can't help it.
Aneris wrote:Anyway, it’s clear to me that PZ Myers doxx retaliation had more to do with that, than with anything else. Otherwise there are anti-fans on both sides. But when that’s the case, why not being honest about it.
Just a note to say that Damion's conceptualization of doxxing is the only one that makes sense when you use it in this case. So, you think that shouting her name and pseudonym and what she said from the rooftops was mostly done because she dared to quote him and he didn't like that she had?

Southern

Post by Southern »

Michael J wrote:
Southern wrote:

I can't help but to think that Peez and Two Cows just laugh at Nugent every time he makes another post about the smears. They don't care a fuck about setting the record straight. And the worst part is, the only thing they could lose from this is respect among the atheists - which they don't have much to begin with.

Peezus and Two Cows are trolling Nugent and enjoying every minute of it.
I disagree. I think that if they were enjoying it they would take Michael on as it generates hits (revenue) for them. They are keeping their head down glad that it is a relatively obscure (To Americans) atheist. Imagine it the media picked up the story - White Middle Aged washed up professor who has a history of an interest in rape porn - slanders a female productive scientist (ERV) - Doxes a working doctor etc. The SJW crowd would be on him in a second
Ed Brayton maybe could use the extra revenue, but Peez? He's very comfortable with his tenured life, I don't think he really craves for the money. What he wants is power, to have his voice relevant once again, since he screwed the chance he had.

Southern

Post by Southern »

They also conflate threats with criticism and name calling. I do now wish to kill, maim, or rape Anita Sarkeesian, but she's such a cancer to modern gaming and such a scammer, I reserve myself the right to call her a disingenuous, thieving cunt with a toxic agenda and a vacuous approach to a problem only she and her network of stupidity.

aratina

Post by aratina »

Skep tickle wrote:There is much here I agree with, including (to address the next to last paragraph included above) that I applaud Myers for his outright banning of people he doesn’t want posting on his blog.
Oh. I didn't know that anyone here agreed with that. It really angered many of the people on it since it was nearly a permanent marker on their name or nym while it lasted on Pharyngula.
Skep tickle wrote:Myers may remove some posts and may disemvowel some others, but he doesn’t (AFAIK) hold comments in moderation & decide which to let through with an eye to manipulating the discussion including the response any one dissenter receives, like Benson & Zvan do (and maybe others).
I never understood how people could be upset over "disemvoweling", but they were. And I know of people who have been moderated there, but probably only because they tripped a key-word filter. And yes, I appreciate his moderating style. It is one of the freer ones out there.
Skep tickle wrote:Myers doesn’t (AFAIK) change the content of posts so that they show something quite different than the poster intended, as Crommunist used to do at FTB (and even as Michael Nugent apparently does, more benignly, by removing content without leaving any indication that he has done so).
Yes. Good point that even Michael Nugent does that irritating censuring thing. In fact, if he hadn't with respect to the name of the person that was being accused of rape, he probably would have gotten his response from PZ, IMO.
Skep tickle wrote:Myers has said that he might post the information of people who annoy him – not that I agree with him doing so, but at least he did announce ahead of time that that was a possibility. (I know little about Coyne’s blog so won’t try to comment on his usual practices & the recent denouement.)
Yep. I think it used to be more of a high barrier to get one's info leaked, but at least he is upfront about it, which is another thing I knew about while commenting there and knew it was a risk of commenting there were I to wish to remain anonymous under any handle. Gee, it's almost like you don't think he is such a bad person after all! Not sure I expected that from anyone here.

Shatterface as Guest

Southern wrote:They also conflate threats with criticism and name calling. I do now wish to kill, maim, or rape Anita Sarkeesian, but she's such a cancer to modern gaming and such a scammer, I reserve myself the right to call her a disingenuous, thieving cunt with a toxic agenda and a vacuous approach to a problem only she and her network of stupidity.
I think you might have need of the edit button.

Shatterface

Cunt of Personality

Post by Cunt of Personality »

I'm a little Jesper; short and stout.
Here's my keyboard, watch me spout.
When I get all steamed up, hear me shout
About fuck all, nothing and nowt.

aratina

Post by aratina »

franc wrote:
aratina wrote:Apparently, the newest myth is that franc assumed the identity of this other guy and then went around for years telling everyone he was this other guy (which there is proof of), and now this other guy is dying of cancer and all the people franc fucked with are bashing not franc but this other guy because franc assumed the identity of the this other guy. I'll be interested in hearing the new twists this legend takes as franc tries to find a way to blame everyone else again. :popcorn:
You stupid cunt. I explained what you idiots did in basic english and even showed where you did it - you, or one of your monkey-see-monkey-do idiots that ape your idiocy - prank called someone in a large retirement village associated with an orthodox monastery. Yes you idiots did. It is a place I know quite well as does anyone else with roots tracing back to various slavic refugee streams.
:lol: :lol: :popcorn:

P.S. Does he know because he goes to church there?
franc wrote:You are vicious idiots that have no concern whatsoever about who it is you actually do end up harassing in the name of SocJus. And you are boneheaded enough to criticise WEIT/Joyne...

I thought I had met some pretty fucked up, morally destitute people in my life... liars, thieves, junkies and even murderers. But even they have occasional moments of lucidity and understand that their behaviour is abhorrent. You slugs have no such impediments. You make them seem positively saintly. It really is unfortunate there is no hell.
:clap: :lol: :lol:

In other words, he's got nothing.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Guest wrote: It's funny, but the best thing in that article is probably the Milo picture:

https://images.encyclopediadramatica.se ... thfox.jpeg
What a twat.