Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Old subthreads
Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Re: Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Post by Jan Steen »

PZ Myers wrote:
[Amy Alkon wrote:] Well, the truth is, false accusations are made, and part of a fair investigation is questioning whether there’s validity to an accusation and not simply looking on the calendar to schedule the witch burning for the accused.
This is absurd and dishonest. First, yes, you should believe it when someone testifies to their personal experience, especially when it is not an unusual experience. Our first response to someone saying they were injured in an accident or mugged on the street is not and should not be “No! I think it’s more likely that you made that up!” But we should also verify the story before taking action.

Second, read this summary of the Bora case. The accusations of simply believing out of hand and charging off in a witch hunt are totally false.
What do we read in this summary of the Bora case?
As Waters says, “What makes this so hard to talk about—my experience and Monica’s—is that it may not look like sexual harassment.”
A witch hunter said: "It doesn't look like murder, nobody died after all, but it is still murder. The victim claims it's murder, so it is murder. We have to believe it when someone testifies to their personal experience. Burn the witch."

Not a word about Bora's family in Myers's piece, of course. They're negligible; collateral damage. You wouldn't expect compassion from a total sociopath.

http://web.archive.org/web/201507042110 ... mic-books/

CuntajusRationality

Post by CuntajusRationality »

Michael Twitty's talk on "culinary justice". Of which, appropriation of African American culinary history is a top concern.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Lsuoma wrote:
rayshul wrote:That's so fucking pathetic.

Okay. So. We're the Slymepit. What can we do here?

Theoretically, if we were a group of people who could help people and not just mock them all the time. I'm not going to throw a Mykeru, but this Bora shit seems genuinely fucking sad and it would be nice if we could help.
Indiegogo?
I'm looking at gofundme - is indiegogo better?

Are there any good copywriters who could help, pm me?

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

CuntajusRationality wrote:
Badger3k wrote: "Food Justice"? :think:
This same guy wrote an article last fourth of July claiming that Black people were denied vanilla ice cream in the Jim Crow south – except on Independence Day. They could have chocolate any time, but vanilla was for whites only except on the fourth of July.
I wonder how much of that is true, and how much is just one person's experience, possibly altered over time as all memories are. I wasn't thrilled to read:
What makes the vanilla ice cream story less folk memory and more truth is that the terror and shame of living in the purgatory between the Civil War and civil rights movement was often communicated in ways that reinforced to children what the rules of that life were, and what was in store for them if they broke them.
I would have hoped that what makes it truth is evidence and truth. It might be hard or impossible to determine if it was true, it could have been one locale, or time period, or whatever.

Plus, you get extremely awkward sentences like:
Why were black people allowed vanilla ice cream, but on the Fourth of July? Why then?
It sounds like it excludes the Fourth, but the Maya Angelou quote specifically says it was only allowed on the Fourth.

Given the racism and fucked up laws back then, it certainly could be true. A quick search all seem to point back to this article as a source, though, so I can get nowhere on that. All in all, poor writing and poor fact checking - typical SJW work.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
Shatterface as Guest wrote:Christ, The Guardian is running an article claiming cooking meat outside is cultural appropriation.

Because, I don't fucking know, ancient Europeans went straight from foraging fruit to microwaving the shit out of stuff.

Fucking retards.

Shatterface
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... -americans

Nice to see plenty of pushback in the comments section. Bodes well when even Guardian readers are getting tired of this weebling nonsense.
Piss. Off.
I can't believe how bad this is getting. What next? Breathing air is sexist?
I think Godfrey should go all Animal Liberation Front on the bloodthirsty murdering bastard who wrote the article. Maybe PETA's heroic Carrie Poppy could be persuaded to join in and accuse him of rape or something.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

bhoytony wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... -americans

Nice to see plenty of pushback in the comments section. Bodes well when even Guardian readers are getting tired of this weebling nonsense.
Piss. Off.
I can't believe how bad this is getting. What next? Breathing air is sexist?
I think Godfrey should go all Animal Liberation Front on the bloodthirsty murdering bastard who wrote the article. Maybe PETA's heroic Carrie Poppy could be persuaded to join in and accuse him of rape or something.
I'm not sure that's possible. Carrie tweeted something about not working at PETA, despite that being her reason for leaving whatever she was doing before (JREF?). Maybe she was too crazy even for them?

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Badger3k wrote:Bora's problem was that he (a) apologized, possibly even when it was not necessary, and (b) vulnerable to them. They smelled blood and made him a perfect target to show their power. It may not have been a conspiracy or the like, but the natural consequence of their ideological zeal. Yeah, fuck them with a rusty spokesgay.
It is always a mistake to apologize to SJWs. To them, an apology is simply a confession of guilt, nothing more. And a confession justifies the punishment.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

http://i.imgur.com/D2ED1zi.jpg

Like self confessed rape I guess?

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Shatterface as Guest wrote:Christ, The Guardian is running an article claiming cooking meat outside is cultural appropriation.

Because, I don't fucking know, ancient Europeans went straight from foraging fruit to microwaving the shit out of stuff.

Hey something I actually know about. Watch me as I drop a little knowledge! Take note steertler.

So while I can't speak of about the ancient Europeans' cooking methods, by the time of the discovery of the new world bbq was foreign to the European settlers.

Before I go any further it's important to note that the author gets some things right but the entire base of the article is off. Most people are grilling today, not bbqing. I know the two terms have been conflated but if you are talking about the historical aspect then you can't do that. Grilling is cooking meat over an open flame. It's high heat and fast. Any place in the world where they had fire and meat grilling was a thing. BBQ is about slowly cooking meat over low heat where you allow the smoke to flavor to meat and the long period helps break down tough meat. BBQ as a general note is going to take at least 8 hours of cook time. So yeah the author is totally off base anyway.

BBQ is a new world cooking style that settlers quickly adopted. Remember most of the early settlements where in hot and bbq lends it self to that. The natives were made slaves ( I believe it was a draft system but don't quote me on that) and started cooking for the Europeans. When Africans were brought in to the mix (by those dirty dirty dutch) they learned the techniques as well.

Being a pitmaster was always considered a place of importance. Like blacksmithing, it was one of those skills where a slave could actually have some dignity and respect and even make some money.

After slavery bbq was again one of the few professions that a black person could do and have respect of the whole community. You might not talk to that negro in the street but you would go to his restaurant to get his ribs.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Brive1987 wrote:http://i.imgur.com/D2ED1zi.jpg

:laughing-rollingyellow:

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I thought someone on here was a pitmaster

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Seriously though guys, if one of you researcher/writer types is about, would love a hand.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

rayshul wrote:I thought someone on here was a pitmaster

I have worked at a bbq place when I was younger and I had a class in college where my professor and I cooked a pig in a traditional pit.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

comhcinc wrote:

I have worked at a bbq place when I was younger and I had a class in college where my professor and I cooked a pig in a traditional pit.
This does not sound like a real class.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Fucking retards.

Shatterface
It wasn't so long ago that they were claiming that barbecues were misogynist. And so were cupcakes.* Meanwhile, Thomas the Tank Engine and insurance ads with animated meerkats were racist. People are starting to talk about "Peak Guardian". I think they'll struggle to top this one a couple of months ago fretting about combatting hypothetical racism and sexism on hypothetical future Mars colonies, which honestly, I'm not making this up, included the sentence "The first woman to be raped in space has probably already been born."

*I don't see why we're supposed to call them "cupcakes" anyway. We had a perfectly serviceable word for them, "buns", before hipsters decided that small iced cakes were something so new and exotic we had to import a word from America to name them. Grump.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

BarnOwl wrote:
paddybrown wrote:The musical I'm in debuted with its first reheased reading last night. Went really well. The audience took a couple of songs to really warm up, but by the end they were cheering and whooping. There were people from a number of venues in attendance, and it looks like we might get booked for a full production next year. There's a second reading this evening. Here's a promo image what I drew:

http://paddybrown.co.uk/wordpress/wp-co ... belles.jpg#

And if you're on Arsebook, here's a song from the show (not one of mine - sung by the three girls above, the Jazzabelles themselves). Can't figure out any way of embedding it.

That's really cool, paddybrown, and sounds like lots of fun! I always enjoy seeing your artwork too - feel a bit like it's cheating to see it for free.
Thanks. I'm still at the "building a portfolio" stage of my illustration career, haven't quite figured out how to reliably get paid for it. Doing a promotional poster for a musical I'm in that nobody's getting paid for (yet) seems an acceptable reason to work for free. If the mooted tour next year comes to fruition, and it's used as a poster or programme cover (as has been suggested) I'll attempt (pretend?) to be professional.

For anyone not on Facebook who couldn't hear the song, it's also on Soundcloud.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Nah. Oggie and the FTB think that his self confessed child rape happened, but since he was 12 and had a history of indoctrination due to his previous abuse his rape didn't really matter. But they also think that Josh Duggar is an evil piece of shit because he raped minors when he was 14 and had a history of indoctrination due to his education.

Which is completely different from Ogvorbis because he's confessed and repented on FTB and now he's a Born Again Feminist who doesn't need to confess anything or apologize to the victims of his rape. He can be definitely trusted to be an excellent babysitter. While Duggar is an evil sinner misogynist who is therefore unredeemable.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Over in the comments on Peez's Bora post, a poster by the nym of skeptichistorian has been channelling some of Diddy Dickie Carrier's sauciness :lol:

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

rayshul wrote:
comhcinc wrote:

This does not sound like a real class.

The South in U.S. History - 20112 - HY 303 - 0 taught by Dr. Busick. It was an interesting class. Book list range from whiskey in frontier Kentucky to bbq to Elvis.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Tigzy wrote:Over in the comments on Peez's Bora post, a poster by the nym of skeptichistorian has been channelling some of Diddy Dickie Carrier's sauciness :lol:
Archive link before it is censored:

http://web.archive.org/web/201507042249 ... mic-books/

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Kirbmarc wrote:

Nah. Oggie and the FTB think that his self confessed child rape happened, but since he was 12 and had a history of indoctrination due to his previous abuse his rape didn't really matter. But they also think that Josh Duggar is an evil piece of shit because he raped minors when he was 14 and had a history of indoctrination due to his education.

Which is completely different from Ogvorbis because he's confessed and repented on FTB and now he's a Born Again Feminist who doesn't need to confess anything or apologize to the victims of his rape. He can be definitely trusted to be an excellent babysitter. While Duggar is an evil sinner misogynist who is therefore unredeemable.
But a rape involves victims - and that's never been conceded for Oggies Mad Orgy.

Ergo no rape for the big O.

I believe the current 'truth' is that the scout master raped those babysat girls using Ogster as a meat puppet.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Whoever is pretending to be Dick Carrier over at Pharyngula better go to the naughty corner and have a good, long think about his behaviour.
How dare you pollute Cartimandua's intro?
Cartimandua:
Slime-boy who polluted my intro: go away and learn about power structures. Only then contemplate why Richard may have had a different reaction to those women Bora (temporally) reduced to self doubting shells.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

"Go away and learn about power structures".
lol

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Tigzy wrote:Over in the comments on Peez's Bora post, a poster by the nym of skeptichistorian has been channelling some of Diddy Dickie Carrier's sauciness :lol:
Of course the odious Smugwedel shows up in the comments. Interesting that she was angling for an organizational/leadership role in the ScienceOnline conference, and yet without Bora, she and the rest of the rabid blogging community couldn't make it work. They failed utterly, and of course they'll blame it on the "damage that Bora did" - when in reality, they're all a bunch of insipid, indolent losers.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Only then contemplate why Richard may have had a different reaction to those women Bora (temporally) reduced to self doubting shells.
Women, eh? Can't get through the day without turning into a neurotic husk.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Nikita's pro Bora 2013 post referenced by PZ today (and slammed as sealioning - even though it was a blog post not directed communication) nails it.
An adult doing adult things is not sexual harassment, until they intentionally do something in bad faith. Until then, misunderstandings happen and are generally resolved by way of personal and respectful conversations. Companies and the community are wrong in how they have treated Bora – wrong in a very fundamental way.
https://nikitab.wordpress.com/2013/10/2 ... an-values/

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Only then contemplate why Richard may have had a different reaction to those women Bora (temporally) reduced to self doubting shells.
Women, eh? Can't get through the day without turning into a neurotic husk.

........I might be a chic then :think:

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

From Michael W. Twitty, the author of the Guardian article about the inherent racism of barbecue, here I present Week by bloody week, my America is sliding back towards slavery

Yes, you're reading it right. According to Twitty America is sliding back towards slavery.

He's not joking or exaggerating for rhetorical reasons:
Michael W. Twitty wrote:In eight years of the Obama presidency, backlash politics and over-reach by law enforcement have sought to bring restrictions on voting rights and tougher policing for minor offences to the fore, all of which disproportionately affect people of colour and the poor. We are clearly sliding back towards slavery.

Empowered with less accountability, law makers and law enforcement are enabling the newest forms of enslavement – mass incarceration, voter disfranchisement, terrorisation of communities through brutal policing and overreach and the slow strangling of policies that help women, the poor, the elderly and sexual minorities.
So basically police brutality and bad laws equal slavery.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

I wonder who they were.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Bravo. It appears PZ is still puking up the chocolate crackles consumed during last nights par-tay.

Pro tip - never mix with CC with jelly snakes. Pick one and stick with it all night.

http://i.imgur.com/V2Y0IqN.jpg

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Brive1987 wrote:Bravo. It appears PZ is still puking up the chocolate crackles consumed during last nights par-tay.

Pro tip - never mix with CC with jelly snakes. Pick one and stick with it all night.

http://i.imgur.com/V2Y0IqN.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/JRQVzR0.jpg

My kids whine less.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Brive1987 wrote:Nikita's pro Bora 2013 post referenced by PZ today (and slammed as sealioning - even though it was a blog post not directed communication) nails it.
An adult doing adult things is not sexual harassment, until they intentionally do something in bad faith. Until then, misunderstandings happen and are generally resolved by way of personal and respectful conversations. Companies and the community are wrong in how they have treated Bora – wrong in a very fundamental way.
https://nikitab.wordpress.com/2013/10/2 ... an-values/
Consider above vs Nerd's requirement for Bora to undergo compulsory re-education therapy:

http://i.imgur.com/rJ5WYjw.jpg

In a nutshell.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Watch Pharyngula when you want to see what happens when you are stupid and dishonest at the same time.
Caine wrote:skeptichistorian:
I just think it is ridiculous that we are still harping on such small transgressions that he has apologized for. It is time to move on.
I don’t know who you’re speaking for, but no one here has been harping going on about it at all. All the going on seems to be on the side of those in hyperbolic heaven, so to speak.
No one here (i.e. at Pharyngula) has been going on about it at all? What? Has the Crazy Rat Lady already forgotten her own comment in the same thread less than half an hour before?
Caine wrote:You seem to be gobsmackingly unaware of the whole situation with Bora. It might be in your best interest to do a bit of reading up. Here’s a bit for you: http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... -internet/
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... t-matters/
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... do-better/
And perhaps most importantly: summary and timeline.
That is three previous witch hunting posts by Peezus alone about the Bora affair. To any reasonable person that is definitely "going on about" it. But then, Caine is not a reasonable person. Just a lying psycho.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Stop! I can't handle any more humor today!
Ape+lust, the placement of that animal is perfect. (There must be a hole in PZ's tablet.) Something tells me you're going to use this picture.

Git

Post by Git »

Caine is a nasty little stukach isn't she?

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Git wrote:Caine is a nasty little stukach isn't she?
That's putting it mildly. An all-round horrible person. Pharyngula attracts those like flies. I wonder why that is.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Really? wrote:Stop! I can't handle any more humor today!
Ape+lust, the placement of that animal is perfect. (There must be a hole in PZ's tablet.) Something tells me you're going to use this picture.

Just like on the internet. He is sitting there thinking he is important while everyone walks away not caring.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Git wrote:Caine is a nasty little stukach isn't she?
Now, now. There is no truth to the rumor she has been killing drifters and burying them in her backyard rat graveyard. :naughty:

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Jan Steen wrote:Watch Pharyngula when you want to see what happens when you are stupid and dishonest at the same time.
I just think it is ridiculous that we are still harping on such small transgressions that he has apologized for. It is time to move on.
I don’t know who you’re speaking for, but no one here has been harping going on about it at all. All the going on seems to be on the side of those in hyperbolic heaven, so to speak.
No one here (i.e. at Pharyngula) has been going on about it at all? What? Has the Crazy Rat Lady already forgotten her own comment in the same thread less than half an hour before?
Caine wrote:You seem to be gobsmackingly unaware of the whole situation with Bora. It might be in your best interest to do a bit of reading up. Here’s a bit for you: http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... -internet/
That is three previous witch hunting posts by Peezus alone about the Bora affair. To any reasonable person that is definitely "going on about" it. But then, Caine is not a reasonable person. Just a lying psycho.
You have to forgive her, English is the language of the colonial shitlords who killed her Native American ancestors and so she gets constantly triggered when she uses it. This leads to her inability to understand the meaning of what she writes at times.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

peez obviously in his post - fifth horseman, post "fierce, coordinated hunting pack" phase of activism.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Kirbmarc wrote:
You have to forgive her, English is the language of the colonial shitlords who killed her Native American ancestors and so she gets constantly triggered when she uses it. This leads to her inability to understand the meaning of what she writes at times.
Nah, I call it "lying for Peezus." To these people truth is just a social construct.

CuntajusRationality

Post by CuntajusRationality »

Kirbmarc wrote:From Michael W. Twitty, the author of the Guardian article about the inherent racism of barbecue, here I present Week by bloody week, my America is sliding back towards slavery

Yes, you're reading it right. According to Twitty America is sliding back towards slavery.

He's not joking or exaggerating for rhetorical reasons:
Michael W. Twitty wrote:In eight years of the Obama presidency, backlash politics and over-reach by law enforcement have sought to bring restrictions on voting rights and tougher policing for minor offences to the fore, all of which disproportionately affect people of colour and the poor. We are clearly sliding back towards slavery.

Empowered with less accountability, law makers and law enforcement are enabling the newest forms of enslavement – mass incarceration, voter disfranchisement, terrorisation of communities through brutal policing and overreach and the slow strangling of policies that help women, the poor, the elderly and sexual minorities.
So basically police brutality and bad laws equal slavery.
http://i.imgur.com/6tHDoEd.png

Steersman

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by Steersman »

Aneris wrote:
Shatterface as Guest wrote:Can we have a show of hands please?

Who, having read Steers talking endlessly about analogies, thinks he actually understands the concept'?

He seems utterly incapable of grasping the salient features that are being compared and fixates on irrelevant details.

Shatterface
It's more of a red herring, just as spinning dancers, collapsing bridges, metronoms synchronizing, bimodal statistics, and random Shermer or Pinker quotations. Let's be honest, even goose and gander look suspicious. He's closer on the mark with “kettle of fish”, where he is at least in the fish business.
Something “a little fishy” about some (all?) of my arguments? ;-) However, I think all of those were advanced to emphasize or illustrate some quite reasonable and important, if somewhat obscure, points; sort of a case of a part of my modus operandi: Point-Reason-Example-Summary. For example, the bimodal statistics graphs were presented to illustrate the point that many have a tendency to conflate the individual with the group – as with Jet_Lagg’s comments about some gene in the Finnish population.

And I think many others here have similar problematic tendencies. Not quite sure who that would apply to, or to what extent, and I don’t think that is particularly relevant, but it seems many have a tendency to insist that – because person A in a particular group says X, and another person B in the same group says not-X – that group is being hypocritical.
Aneris wrote:Steersman,
  1. What have analogies to do with the proposal that muslims should be deported under some circumstance?
  2. Do you think other people should be deported who also hold anti-democratic beliefs?
  3. To where would you ship white supremacist?
  4. Are you aware that muslims can be temporarily blasphemous, if they need to? This is known as Taqiyya.
Not quite sure which analogies or which aspects of them you’re referring to, but I think it was James Caruthers who advanced the analogy that my argument to deport Muslims was analogous to some racist’s argument to deport blacks. And I didn’t think that held water because of several reasons, notably that race is a matter of genetics, about which we have no control, whereas religion is a matter of choice, or at least a much greater degree of control.

Although I suppose one might argue that I have used analogies in comparing the suggested deportation with the historical use of that particular method. However, the history does suggest that sometimes that is the lesser of two evils.

As for white supremacists, while there are certainly some similarities there, I think there are some significant differences. For one thing, as you suggest, it isn’t clear where they could be shipped to – not the case with recent or not-yet-naturalized immigrants. And for another, it seems Muslims are generally far more public about what might reasonably be construed as the hate speech that figures as a large part of their “holy book” [ha!]. And for a third, I don’t see that there are that many white supremacists who are into blowing up buildings, and chopping people’s heads off. Although I suppose the recent torching of black churches might be a reasonable approximation. In any case, maybe those differences aren’t all that significant, but it seems that we kind of have to focus on one problem at a time, and deal with it the best way possible, even if that way may not be particularly effective in similar or analogous cases.

And, relative to “temporarily blasphemous – which of course many others do likewise in similar circumstances, while deportation may not be a particular workable solution, at least at the moment, one might reasonably suggest that something needs to be done along that line. Maybe restricting immigration would work. Or maybe, since the UK laws on hate speech stipulate fines for that crime, maybe there could be ongoing fines levied on all Muslim mosques – say, a million dollars per year – until such time as they explicitly repudiate or expunge the problematic aspects of the Quran. I don’t know for sure. But it sure seems to me that, in the face of the virtually innumerable depredations and horrors perpetrated by Muslims in Western countries on a monthly if not weekly basis, we should all be saying, “I’m mad as hell and I’m not going to take it any more”. To coin a phrase.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Trying out my sous vide circulator for the first time with a nice ribeye this afternoon. Two hours at 140F with rosemary and garlic, followed by searing in olive oil for around 45-60 seconds per side.

I'll let you know how it goes. Also, I have a nice bottle of Nuits Saint Georges 2006 to go with it, followed by home-made vanilla ice cream with home-made blueberry and raspberry sauces - red, white, and blue for the 4th.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Lsuoma wrote:
Trying out my sous vide circulator for the first time with a nice ribeye this afternoon. Two hours at 140F with rosemary and garlic, followed by searing in olive oil for around 45-60 seconds per side.

I'll let you know how it goes. Also, I have a nice bottle of Nuits Saint Georges 2006 to go with it, followed by home-made vanilla ice cream with home-made blueberry and raspberry sauces - red, white, and blue for the 4th.

I kinda fucking hate you now. ;)

Sounds great.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

comhcinc wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: Trying out my sous vide circulator for the first time with a nice ribeye this afternoon. Two hours at 140F with rosemary and garlic, followed by searing in olive oil for around 45-60 seconds per side.

You have no idea how often I hear that...

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

comhcinc wrote:

Sounds great.
Ninja'd!

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Steersman wrote:But it sure seems to me that, in the face of the virtually innumerable depredations and horrors perpetrated by Muslims in Western countries on a monthly if not weekly basis, we should all be saying, “I’m mad as hell and I’m not going to take it any more”. To coin a phrase
If we give up the principles of freedom of opinion and freedom of religion to fight Muslim-inspired crimes it means that our values are weak and we're ready to throw them away when things are tough.

To respond with another phrase, "And YOU have meddled with the primal forces of nature, and YOU... WILL... ATONE!". You're meddling with the nature of democracy and of liberalism and want to substitute them with authoritarianism just because you're incredibly scared of Islam.

Not everybody is as easily scared as you.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Lsuoma wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: Trying out my sous vide circulator for the first time with a nice ribeye this afternoon. Two hours at 140F with rosemary and garlic, followed by searing in olive oil for around 45-60 seconds per side.

You have no idea how often I hear that...
Including the wink? :P

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Is it ableism to expect someone on the spectrum to react "normally" in a social situation.

Or would that be like expecting a rape victim to react normally amongst 'strange' men?

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Well just to make everyone jealous I have the option of either chilli dogs or ramen noodle tonight. I am thinking about completely my fail dinner with some booze. Cheap booze.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Looks like I need to spend a little time with my own tiny pink octopus...

...zzzzzip

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Are you going full chic and searing with a blowtorch?

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

comhcinc wrote:

Hey something I actually know about. Watch me as I drop a little knowledge! Take note steertler.

So while I can't speak of about the ancient Europeans' cooking methods, by the time of the discovery of the new world bbq was foreign to the European settlers.

Before I go any further it's important to note that the author gets some things right but the entire base of the article is off. Most people are grilling today, not bbqing. I know the two terms have been conflated but if you are talking about the historical aspect then you can't do that. Grilling is cooking meat over an open flame. It's high heat and fast. Any place in the world where they had fire and meat grilling was a thing. BBQ is about slowly cooking meat over low heat where you allow the smoke to flavor to meat and the long period helps break down tough meat. BBQ as a general note is going to take at least 8 hours of cook time. So yeah the author is totally off base anyway.

BBQ is a new world cooking style that settlers quickly adopted. Remember most of the early settlements where in hot and bbq lends it self to that. The natives were made slaves ( I believe it was a draft system but don't quote me on that) and started cooking for the Europeans. When Africans were brought in to the mix (by those dirty dirty dutch) they learned the techniques as well.

Being a pitmaster was always considered a place of importance. Like blacksmithing, it was one of those skills where a slave could actually have some dignity and respect and even make some money.

After slavery bbq was again one of the few professions that a black person could do and have respect of the whole community. You might not talk to that negro in the street but you would go to his restaurant to get his ribs.
Except that the basics of it is thousands of years old and variations of technique go back past recorded history. There are examples of this from Neolithic Europe -- 10,200–8,800 BC.

Now, if he wants to argue the word, fine. Because it's not a 'white' language word. If he wants to point out it was a cooking technique not used by white settlers and later adopted by white settlers, I can dig it because they probably weren't doing it in any significant way since most cooking back in those days was in a cookhouse or kitchen fireplace and you'd be lucky to own an iron stove.

BUT, his claims are wrong because he's claiming it out of whole cloth and therefore cultural appropriation because he wants to over-reach and claim more glory than is reasonable.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

comhcinc wrote:

Covered or open?

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Lsuoma wrote:

Use butter, not olive oil. Make sure you sear first, not sous-vide first. Make sure your steak is cold, you can even put it in the freezer for 20 minutes. Make sure your pan is smoking. When you sear it, flip it every 10 seconds until you have a proper brown coat:

http://cdn.macheesmo.com/wp-content/upl ... action.gif

Put a sprig of thyme & a sprig rosemary in the butter and spoon the butter over the top of the steak in-between flips. Then pour it all into the sous-vide bag before you seal it. (You'll have to manually control the vacuum process.)

You'll get even better results.

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Oh Dana. From the Jan 2014 post linked to above.
I see Bora’s decided he’s spent enough time in the penalty box, and has returned to the social media world. This move was classic: mention you moved your blog from Scientific American, but fail to mention why, as if sexually harassing several women is just a minor whoops you needn’t bring up, then paste on a butthurt addendum saying you had no idea you should apologize again. That, combined with the fact he’s so pleased to have his balls lovingly sucked in public by his good buddy Anton Zuiker and assorted harassment-denying hangers-on, tells me he hasn’t learned a damned thing.

My worst fears are thus confirmed, much to my utter and complete lack of surprise: he isn’t a man who realizes he fucked up and will do everything necessary to make amends. No, he’s a predator who’s too bloody stupid to move on to a fresh victim pool.
If that was a dog you'd be forced to take action.
There was a time I felt a bit sorry for Dana Hunter. She sort of came across as emotionally frail, immature and rather sad.
After seeing her go after another socially stunted individual, and one that apparently never committed offense toward her, and in fact gave her the best job she has ever had in her aspiring writing career, she matured from the sad, ugly duckling into a beautiful swaninto a hideous vulture ripping apart the skinny carcass of Bora after he'd been finished off by her toxic friends.
She writes from time to time about being depressed,and if she gets a thorough shitkicking next time she's down maybe she will reflect on how she treated a one time mentor.
Fuck Bora I hope they tear him a new one. If you are happy to join in a witch hunt without giving the witch the benefit of the doubt then when the devil turns around and faces you, you have no defense because you threw the rule book away. You will get no sympathy from me,
Sleep with dogs and you get fleas, Bora is a cunt and I hope he suffers, the fucking twat.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Jan Steen wrote:Watch Pharyngula when you want to see what happens when you are stupid and dishonest at the same time.
You know that, of course, I just iterate: Sub-trope of: Deny Everything When Not Helping. Same multidimensional standards as always. When an outgrouper introduces old posts from FreethoughtBlogs and they go against the momentary interests of the FreethoughtBlogs ingroup, they just dismiss them (temporarily) for whatever reason. An ingrouper can, however, cite old posts to back up their position. This has the unique advantage of always working from a blank slate, since consistency is deemed unimportant, while at the same time they have a body of work to cite when necessary to give the appearance of evidence. Sub-Trope: Steersman-Zvan-Chronocrisy where any moment in time can backup any position, despite that at another time the opposite position was held (without any visible update which trumps what, and even disregarding that normally later trumps earlier).