Re: Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Post by free thoughtpolice »

[youtube]pGCnISdHuEE[/youtube]

Couch

Post by Couch »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
Couch wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote: No. The others are all flush heads and only the last step (the one I can't do) uses the round headed ones. Also that's the only step that has pointy screws due to the holes only being pilot holes and not threaded holes. The pdf shows the 2 different screw types at http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/assembly_inst ... -2_pub.pdf. No more un-assembled furniture for me. According to the instructions, I should have been able to do it with just a screwdriver. I was able to screw them in only until they barely moved and were squeaky at that. Then I couldn't turn them any further.
Fairy nuff. If you can bandy around terms like 'flush heads' and 'pilot holes' you're likely knowing more about this stuff than me. :)

I've never used a manual screwdriver for IKEA stuff, so I'm not sure how much torque you need to apply, but it sounds like you've been mis-supplied by IKEA somewhere - either with screws too long, or holes too short.
Buy thinner or shorter screws, save yourself $24.
IKEA stores usually have a set-up near their customer service area, it's like a wall-mounted set of mini-bins; containing all their most-commonly-missing-and-lost pieces, and you can grab what you like... Could be worth calling first. Or emailing. You can't phone IKEA here in .au, not sure about over there.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

I'll add that the request for specific policy proposals was wonderfully slippery because it glides you around all the bullying on so-called conservative media regarding people's choices of what beverage to drink, sport to watch, vehicle to drive.
Much as leftists, and collectivists always assume that they'll be the ones doing the state planning, these right-wing fucks have appointed themselves arbiters of the smallest details of how a "real America" lives.

But what the hell, let's go with it.

You want specific policy proposals?

Cool. How about the manipulations of the tax code to "encourage" marriage, and child-bearing?
The last Presidential election saw Newt Gingrich try and speak out against "right-wing social engineering". The base went nuts and forced him to back off.

Once again, go fuck yourself, you ideological asswipe.

Richard Dworkins

Post by Richard Dworkins »

There was a Simpsons Episode on earlier. "Homer Badman" from 1994. It's amusing how little certain things change.

The killer line... "Your tears say more than real evidence ever could."

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Gefan wrote:
And you accuse me of taking him too literally.

Fucking hilarious.

I just gave you evidence, and you entirely predictably, moved the goalposts.

Fuck off.
lol. Yeah, I've run into that with him, too. It's pointless. No facts are going to penetrate that ideological fortress.

Couch

Post by Couch »

comhcinc wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:comhcinc - So glad to hear you got to spend time w/ your kids, and that (insert superstitious gesture here) you may get a job offer this week.
Thanks.

I am trying not get too excited but I believe I have the job. It was called a "extended second interview" where I would meet the owner but also was mentioned training and processes. Normally you wouldn't waste time doing that if you wasn't planning on giving the person a job.

I think, because this is a very small company, that what is going to happen is the owner wants to give me the once over and then I will get to work.
I've dressed to the right for you, today, Com - it's my foolproof good luck charm.

:cdc:

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Gefan wrote:I'll add that the request for specific policy proposals was wonderfully slippery because it glides you around all the bullying on so-called conservative media regarding people's choices of what beverage to drink, sport to watch, vehicle to drive.
Much as leftists, and collectivists always assume that they'll be the ones doing the state planning, these right-wing fucks have appointed themselves arbiters of the smallest details of how a "real America" lives.

Cool. How about the manipulations of the tax code to "encourage" marriage, and child-bearing?
The last Presidential election saw Newt Gingrich try and speak out against "right-wing social engineering". The base went nuts and forced him to back off.

As a retired tax accountant, I can tell it goes so much further than that. Those are just the easy ones. And there's a whole lot in the enforcement policy, too.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Richard Dworkins wrote:There was a Simpsons Episode on earlier. "Homer Badman" from 1994. It's amusing how little certain things change.

One of the best ever. And so relevant now.

[youtube]qEGFaOeUm2A[/youtube]

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

jugheadnaut wrote:
bhoytony wrote:
comhcinc wrote:Oh and since there has been so much talk about tools the last couple of days, I have a question for everyone.

Do you prefer your Steertler battery powered or with a cord?
With a cord please

http://img.prntscr.com/img?url=http://i ... PdYPdy.png
I don't know. A battery could work, too.

http://www.daijiworld.com/images1/daya_ ... boats3.jpg
The fishing boat caught fire due to shortcircuit in the battery cable of the boat engine. At first, smoke was found to be billowing from inside the engine and later, fire spread over to the entire boat in a rapid force. Link
Whoever it was hooked up the battery cable ... did it look like this?

https://i.imgur.com/4Hz81CZ.jpg

Really?

Post by Really? »

Richard Dworkins wrote:There was a Simpsons Episode on earlier. "Homer Badman" from 1994. It's amusing how little certain things change.

Here's the line you're referring to:

[youtube]z000lJ06t_4[/youtube]

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

"“I must say, in my non-strategic… ‘cuz I’m under attack all the time, if you see it on Twitter. The (unclear) call me gay, it’s just, they’re vicious, there are death threats, and everything. And so, there are times where I’m not thinking as clearly as I should, and in those unclear moments, I always think to myself, ‘Fire the first shot.’

Bring it on. Because I know who’s on our side. They can only win a rhetorical and propaganda war. They cannot win. We outnumber them in this country, and we have the guns. (laughter) I’m not kidding. They talk a mean game, but they will not cross that line because they know what they’re dealing with."

Doesn't seem like a threat or authoritarianism to me. Anyway I sort of hate politics at the moment. It's all shit.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Gefan wrote: And you accuse me of taking him too literally.

Fucking hilarious.

Fuck off.
Oh, I know your litany was more figurative than literal. It would have been absolutely fine with me to defend the statement on that basis.

Between your strawman and moving the goalposts accusations, it seems like you're just randomly slinging off counterarguments from your crayon-juice stained Rhetorical Techniques for Dummies book. If I had asked you to provide me with evidence that Breitbart could be something of an asshole, and then changed my requirements, that would have been moving the goalposts. But the goalposts remained exactly where I set them.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Gefan wrote:
Parody Accountant wrote:
Gefan wrote:
<snip> I'm anti-authoritarian <snip>
No you're not.

Also - don't you go around telling me what you are. I'll be deciding that, thank you very much. I don't have to answer to you.

The Argument Clinic is next door.
No need to go next door. You can get it right here in the pit.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

AndrewV69 wrote:
All these Pit arguments are wracking up in Hjornbeck's Contradiction File :bjarte:

CuntajusRationality

Post by CuntajusRationality »

fuzzy wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
All these Pit arguments are wracking up in Hjornbeck's Contradiction File :bjarte:
Might as well say our goodbyes to Gefan and jugheadnaut now, no doubt they will be the first to drop out and go silent once that first index post hits.

So long and farewell, see you all on the other side.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Index. whatever. Also, Pluto has four dark spots in its southern hemisphere, whereas I have only one.
http://i.imgur.com/TQ66L4P.png

Really?

Post by Really? »

CuntajusRationality wrote:
fuzzy wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
Might as well say our goodbyes to Gefan and jugheadnaut now, no doubt they will be the first to drop out and go silent once that first index post hits.

This is going to be us in a couple weeks:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... render.jpg

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

KiwiInOz wrote:
CuntajusRationality wrote:
fuzzy wrote:A new comment under Carrier's semipology includes this description:

"It’s like a birthday cake that is nearly impeccable, except for a little smidgen of feces in the corner. What you are asking us to do here is enjoy the rest of the cake and just ignore the feces."

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B8pNEBQCEAA6lLo.jpg
Bucakke?
Bucakke? Isn't that word of Greek origin? That's what I garnered from the Great Kimono Scandal of 2015. :bjarte:

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/bosto ... -on-315783

Maybe I just get stuff mixed up.

Anyhow, everything's not always of Greek origin. 'Bansei' for instance is merely a Japanese corruption of the Latin derived 'Buono Sera'.

Anyhow, I commend the Japanese for their humano-purity and their lack of cultural appropriation.

http://i.imgur.com/ujTHlZt.jpg

Look at all those kimonos in the background - it's like they are erasing the lived experience of Mrs. Monet.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

jugheadnaut wrote:
Gefan wrote: And you accuse me of taking him too literally.

Fucking hilarious.

Fuck off.
Oh, I know your litany was more figurative than literal. It would have been absolutely fine with me to defend the statement on that basis.

Between your strawman and moving the goalposts accusations, it seems like you're just randomly slinging off counterarguments from your crayon-juice stained Rhetorical Techniques for Dummies book. If I had asked you to provide me with evidence that Breitbart could be something of an asshole, and then changed my requirements, that would have been moving the goalposts. But the goalposts remained exactly where I set them.
I see you still haven't addressed my specific responses to your requests for right-wing, social engineering policies.

I'll wait while you thumb through the collected works of Ayn Rand for the ideologically pure response.

Actually, I'll help you "Child tax credits and tax breaks for marriage don't count because reasons".

You're as boringly predictable an ideologue as Peez and his hipster Stasi.

Cunt.

Couch

Post by Couch »

Ape+lust wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:
Couch wrote: I love how The Bensonian has a tinfoil hat!
It changed PZ into Greta Christina!
Yikes. Google's gone skynet interdimensional :shock:

http://imgur.com/Q0Wz0b8.jpg
I now see the PZ into reGreta thing, and subsecuntly can't unsee it!

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B8pNEBQCEAA6lLo.jpg[/quote][/quote]
KiwiInOz wrote:Bucakke?
:D :clap: :D

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote: I have had the book on my read list for a while, will have to give it a go. Though I can guarantee that there are people who become violent with no external signs at all, to contradict Comhcinc's position.
To contradict my position you would need to claim that most people become violent with no external signs. I will happyly admit that there will be people who don't follow the norms.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

KiwiInOz wrote:
carrier blog commenter wrote: "It’s like a birthday cake that is nearly impeccable, except for a little smidgen of feces in the corner. What you are asking us to do here is enjoy the rest of the cake and just ignore the feces."
Bucakke?

Yeah, probably looked a little like this.
http://i.imgur.com/mLdbXkZ.jpg

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Couch wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:comhcinc - So glad to hear you got to spend time w/ your kids, and that (insert superstitious gesture here) you may get a job offer this week.
Thanks.

I am trying not get too excited but I believe I have the job. It was called a "extended second interview" where I would meet the owner but also was mentioned training and processes. Normally you wouldn't waste time doing that if you wasn't planning on giving the person a job.

I think, because this is a very small company, that what is going to happen is the owner wants to give me the once over and then I will get to work.
I've dressed to the right for you, today, Com - it's my foolproof good luck charm.

Lol funny enough I had worn the same shirt to ever interview except this last one. The "connection" did not pass my notice.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Really? wrote:
This is going to be us in a couple weeks:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... render.jpg

Sweet. I have always wanted a fancy suit.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

CuntajusRationality wrote: Might as well say our goodbyes to Gefan and jugheadnaut now, no doubt they will be the first to drop out and go silent once that first index post hits.

Can someone explain to me (preferably in small words, because apparently I don't even have the brains to understand the Gospel of Individualism according to Saint Andrew) how exactly Hornbeck's master plan is going to work? It seemed like there were bits missing.

CuntajusRationality

Post by CuntajusRationality »

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Gefan wrote:
I see you still haven't addressed my specific responses to your requests for right-wing, social engineering policies.

I'll wait while you thumb through the collected works of Ayn Rand for the ideologically pure response.

Actually, I'll help you "Child tax credits and tax breaks for marriage don't count because reasons".

Cunt.
KInd of funny because Gingrich went off on 'right wing social engineering' back in 2011. So apparently he knows it exists. I know it exists. You know it exists. We see it all around us. Funny how people who run with the right wing can't figure it out...

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Tribble wrote:
Gefan wrote:

Cunt.
KInd of funny because Gingrich went off on 'right wing social engineering' back in 2011. So apparently he knows it exists. I know it exists. You know it exists. We see it all around us. Funny how people who run with the right wing can't figure it out...
Remember: "It's okay when we do it".

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Gefan wrote:
CuntajusRationality wrote: Might as well say our goodbyes to Gefan and jugheadnaut now, no doubt they will be the first to drop out and go silent once that first index post hits.

Can someone explain to me (preferably in small words, because apparently I don't even have the brains to understand the Gospel of Individualism according to Saint Andrew) how exactly Hornbeck's master plan is going to work? It seemed like there were bits missing.
If I remember correctly, his idea is he is going to take notes on things we say and then show those notes to us. If we are a hate group then those notes will not affect us. If we are not a hate group then we will see the error of our ways and stop posting.

It's a neat trick, along the line of what my friends would do as teenagers.

Do you know how I know you are gay?

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

comhcinc wrote:
Gefan wrote:

If I remember correctly, his idea is he is going to take notes on things we say and then show those notes to us. If we are a hate group then those notes will not affect us. If we are not a hate group then we will see the error of our ways and stop posting.

It's a neat trick, along the line of what my friends would do as teenagers.

Do you know how I know you are gay?
Thanks. By Hornbeck's standards that's actually fairly coherent.

And sure, why not? How do you know that I'm gay?
I figured the fact that I've confessed to liking pro-wrestling was probably the biggest clue.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

I am watching Bar Rescue. The chief in the failing bar is refusing the help because he doesn't think women belong in the kitchen. It's really just neither here or there, I just find it funny.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Then there's the two failed marriages.
I spend too much time in the gym.
My closest friends tend to be women.
I tan (at least during the Winter).
I'm obsessively neat.

Katamarri? Have I missed anything?

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

comhcinc wrote:I am watching Bar Rescue. The chief in the failing bar is refusing the help because he doesn't think women belong in the kitchen. It's really just neither here or there, I just find it funny.
Some men have never had a woman make them a really good sandwich.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Gefan wrote:

Hornbeck's analysis arrived in my inbox today. Didn't you guys get yours yet?
I concede his point,
which is odd
because I thought I was trolling, all along.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/23 ... f2c918.jpg

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Gefan wrote:
And sure, why not? How do you know that I'm gay?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

fuzzy wrote:Index. whatever. Also, Pluto has four dark spots in its southern hemisphere, whereas I have only one.
http://i.imgur.com/TQ66L4P.png
I see Jesus' face, if Jesus was a camel.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Gefan wrote:Had a discussion last night re the Confederate flag controversy, and someone suggested that a major problem in the US that's never addressed is that it includes a conquered people that have never really been reconciled to the rest of the nation.
I'd never thought of The South that way, but it made considerable sense. They're told they cannot fly their flag, their culture is widely mocked, they are often looked at as inferior.
I have no idea how you tackle the problem, but I still thought it was a sharp observation.
The tendency of small-minded ideologues to refer to the Confederacy as merely "traitors" or "slave-owning racists, all" doesn't help. Many people in the South today, as in the rest of the USA, are racist. This is true. I have known many myself, and no I don't mean in the tumblr sense of racism, I mean the kinds who will happily refer to black people as niggers.

But the presence of racists does not reflect on the entire group. #NotAllConfederates. The Civil War was about slavery yes, but it was about many other issues as well. It's a bit simplistic to paint the Confederacy as traitors and evil racist scum. Many were fighting for the culture and country where they were raised. Brothers fought brothers and the army one joined was often determined by geography. Many of those fighting for the Union were poor immigrants who had recently come from Ireland and other places. These men were looked upon by other members of the Union as disposable second-class citizens, and their condition of poverty was exploited so they could be expended as cannon fodder in the Civil War.

Every war is composed of humans. Every side in a conflict contains good people.

If we want to argue the current Confederate Flag is not really "the" Confederate Flag, and that our present-day model is a rallying point for white supremacy, that is an argument that can be made. But I do get sick of watching stuck-up liberal snobs tear down the Confederacy without understanding the very real suffering, loyalty and bravery shown by soldiers on both sides.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Well it could just be we're misunderstanding him because of spellchecker typos. Wrack/rack and the like. Given the number of fedoras in our avatars, he may just be calling us a hat site.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

comhcinc wrote:I am watching Bar Rescue. The chief in the failing bar is refusing the help because he doesn't think women belong in the kitchen. It's really just neither here or there, I just find it funny.
Did Taffer go nuts about uncooked chicken at some point? It usually happens once an episode.

Old_ones

Re: AIDSPIGS!

Post by Old_ones »

James Caruthers wrote:
Old_ones wrote:I came across this interesting and amusing video by Dr. Randomercam today, about a certain kind of sophistry we've seen a fair amount of here at the pit:

[youtube]R-aKyci8PMQ[/youtube]

He calls it "use-mention bungling", by which he means a shift in focus from the topic of a discussion onto the words being used to discuss the topic, usually as a means to avert being corrected or shown to be wrong. He calls people who do this AIDSPIGs (Anti-Intellectual Demagogues Spouting Pseudo-Intellectual Gibberish). The video covers a host of variations of this that he wants to talk about, so it ends up being pretty long, but I found it worth watching.

I found it especially amusing because the first example that came to my mind as Dr. Ramdomercam expounded his theory, was the situation a couple months ago with Brive making comments here and on twitter about Karen Stollznow's final retraction in the Stollznow/Radford case, which Steers immediately jumped on Brive about because of the wording "it would be wrong to believe" which he tried to argue made it less than a retraction. After a bunch of debate, someone looked back at Steers' original reaction to the Stollznow accusation and found that he'd always been in her corner.

I guess now we have a word for that.
I can't make myself hate Dr. Randomercam. He's a very clever lad and I think he would make a canny politician.

It does piss me off a bit, his insistence on always reframing "men's rights" as either "men's human's rights" or "human's rights." It's part of the political game but I can see what he's doing.
I haven't watched a ton of Dr Ramdomercam's talk videos, but I enjoyed his Dark Cheese channel a lot. A lot of those cartoons are funny as hell, and not overtly political. Sadly it seems like that project is on hiatus or finished though.

The "men's rights are human rights" thing is basically the AVFM party line at this point isn't it? I don't read AVFM or keep up on MRA politics too much, but I feel like I've heard Karen Straughan make remarks to that effect on Honey Badger radio. My understanding is that they are using that framing, because the feminists were trying to frame the MRM as the "men's patriarchal rights movement". Is there a particular reason why this framing bothers you?

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Gefan wrote:Then there's the two failed marriages.
I'm obsessively neat.

Do you like show tunes?

NoGodsEver

Post by NoGodsEver »

Sulman wrote:
I'm obsessively neat.

Do you like show tunes?
How about gladiator movies?

Really?

Post by Really? »

Gefan wrote:

Hornbeck's plan is to stun us into submission by pointing out our contradictory statements.

Because that tactic has worked so well on Contemporary PZ. I mean, he started crying after he read what he wrote only four short years ago.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Sulman wrote:
Did Taffer go nuts about uncooked chicken at some point? It usually happens once an episode.
No chicken this episode. Overcooked burgers. I am waiting for the day Taffer finally gets in to a fight with someone.

James Caruthers

Old_ones wrote:
The "men's rights are human rights" thing is basically the AVFM party line at this point isn't it? I don't read AVFM or keep up on MRA politics too much, but I feel like I've heard Karen Straughan make remarks to that effect on Honey Badger radio. My understanding is that they are using that framing, because the feminists were trying to frame the MRM as the "men's patriarchal rights movement". Is there a particular reason why this framing bothers you?
It's patently manipulative and isn't going to change anyone's minds. People who are smart will instantly realize what he's doing. And yes, it is a party line.

If someone things a person's beliefs qualify them as a white supremacist, it doesn't do anything if they say "white's human rights" or "human rights" when they're talking about white birth rates.

It's a piece of language designed to put a political opponent in a certain position, but I feel it's somewhat dishonest. Either men's rights are male supremacist or they are not. If they're not, then using the word "men's rights" is not only more accurate but not at all shameful. Changing what you CALL men's rights does not make it suddenly not men's rights. Calling it "human rights" is the sort of tactic that only works on the criminally stupid, IE politicians.

James Caruthers

Just another reason why AVfM is dumb imo.

Like fat activists who want to steal words like "curvy" and redefine them to mean morbidly obese. Nobody is fooled.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

NoGodsEver wrote:
Sulman wrote:
I'm obsessively neat.

Do you like show tunes?
Taking cocks up the dirtbox?

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

NoGodsEver wrote:
Sulman wrote:
I'm obsessively neat.

Do you like show tunes?
Interior decorating?

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

KiwiInOz wrote:
NoGodsEver wrote:
Sulman wrote: Do you like show tunes?
Interior decorating?
No, no, and yes.

I hope I'm not coming down with Teh Gay. I'm 46, and I think that works out to around 108 in gay years.

Couch

Post by Couch »

Tribble wrote:
Gefan wrote:I'll add that the request for specific policy proposals was wonderfully slippery because it glides you around all the bullying on so-called conservative media regarding people's choices of what beverage to drink, sport to watch, vehicle to drive.

As a retired tax accountant, I can tell it goes so much further than that. Those are just the easy ones. And there's a whole lot in the enforcement policy, too.
Here in Australia we probably hit our most-recent high-water mark of conservative social engineering under the Liberal (conservative) government, which was in power from 1996 to 2007. Apart from some hand-wringing by the Greens, it was pretty bipartisan though, with Labor not making too much fuss.

The aim was to keep a parent (read, Mum) at home with the kids. We had our first kid in 2003. My wife thereafter, so long as she didn't earn above a certain paltry amount, was entitled to be reimbursed significant a significant proportion of the tax she'd paid in the tax-year prior to her giving birth. The longer she stayed off work, the more we got back, I think it capped out at five years. We ended up being reimbursed maybe around AUD$15K for that first kid. Bloody top value, if you ask me.

However, around 2003-ish, the government was also looking at the demographics of who was pumping out the extra kids, and the conclusion was that the crazy-tax-break system was all too complicated for Stupid White People, so they quit the whole grubby tax-charade and simply said that, on production of a live baby, we'll give you $5K cold hard. And you can spend it on whatever you want.

The then-Treasurer spruiked this awesome deal with the memorable tag-line: "One for Dad, One for Mum, and one for the Country!"

Me and the Missus punched out two more in quick succession and collected our $5K each time we passed Go. I tend to think we would've done that irrespective of the financial incentives...but who knows...

My kids aren't totally white, so I probably wasn't the conservative government's exact target, anyway.

Ali next door conceded his fourth, Hussein, was possibly more than a little influenced by the cash-on-offer. He drove cabs back then, and $5K is a lot of miles. In conservative circles, you'd call Hussein 'splash damage'. :dance:

I think the Baby Bonus has now been scrapped. The biggest losers apparently were the big-screen TV and games console retailers, as well as the Bali package-holiday industry.

The following article is satirical but the premise as to who the losers are (from scrapping the Baby Bonus) is probably generally correct:

https://thestrine.wordpress.com/2013/02 ... ry-harvey/

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

James Caruthers wrote:Just another reason why AVfM is dumb imo.

Like fat activists who want to steal words like "curvy" and redefine them to mean morbidly obese. Nobody is fooled.
I think you overplayed your hand by saying "Nobody is fooled", because you-yourself are robotic & obvious when it comes to men's rights.

James Caruthers predictably = 'Elam's an asshole, AVFM is a shitshow, move-along/ nothing to see here. yadda yadda yadda.'

In other words, you're full of thought terminating cliches on the subject & Nobody is fooled.

It would be more interesting to note that the term Men's Human Rights Movement was advanced in reaction to SJW privilege arguments which treated men as inelgible for the same human rights treatment everyone-else deserves.

Also, John 'the Other' Hembling has argued on YouTube that his previous embrace of the term Men's Human Rights is obsolete because of a fine distinction between Human Rights (which are something a government fights to protect) vs. Civil Rights (which are are employed to protect-against government encroachment). Not wanting to be just-another Identity Politics faction, he's advocating for the latter...

...more in the vein of the Civil Rights movement fighting for equal housing an access to voting/ vs. asking the govt to silence opponents.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

http://i.imgur.com/6g6baq2.png

I guess Meyers is taking this "I am not a dictionary atheist" shit to one of its natural conclusions.

He seems to now be going with the idea that one only need disbelieve in christianity to be an atheist.

What a classic USian republican opinion. Tomorrow on Pharyngula: catholicism is not true christianity, which is why all them dammed wetbacks need to be kicked back to Mexiland or whatever. Murka.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Service Dog wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:Just another reason why AVfM is dumb imo.

I think you overplayed your hand by saying "Nobody is fooled", because you-yourself are robotic & obvious when it comes to men's rights.

James Caruthers predictably = 'Elam's an asshole, AVFM is a shitshow, move-along/ nothing to see here. yadda yadda yadda.'

In other words, you're full of thought terminating cliches on the subject & Nobody is fooled.

It would be more interesting to note that the term Men's Human Rights Movement was advanced in reaction to SJW privilege arguments which treated men as inelgible for the same human rights treatment everyone-else deserves.

Also, John 'the Other' Hembling has argued on YouTube that his previous embrace of the term Men's Human Rights is obsolete because of a fine distinction between Human Rights (which are something a government fights to protect) vs. Civil Rights (which are are employed to protect-against government encroachment). Not wanting to be just-another Identity Politics faction, he's advocating for the latter...

...more in the vein of the Civil Rights movement fighting for equal housing an access to voting/ vs. asking the govt to silence opponents.
Well Elam is an asshole and AVFM is mostly a shitshow. I don't that is a stretch for anyone who spent any amount of time over there.

Really?

Post by Really? »

James Caruthers wrote:
Old_ones wrote:
It's patently manipulative and isn't going to change anyone's minds. People who are smart will instantly realize what he's doing. And yes, it is a party line.

If someone things a person's beliefs qualify them as a white supremacist, it doesn't do anything if they say "white's human rights" or "human rights" when they're talking about white birth rates.

It's a piece of language designed to put a political opponent in a certain position, but I feel it's somewhat dishonest. Either men's rights are male supremacist or they are not. If they're not, then using the word "men's rights" is not only more accurate but not at all shameful. Changing what you CALL men's rights does not make it suddenly not men's rights. Calling it "human rights" is the sort of tactic that only works on the criminally stupid, IE politicians.
But I'm a feminist because the dictionary says that feminism is all about equal rights for men and women.

Feminism forever! Amanda Marcotte's a feminist? I agree with her! Ophelia Benson's a feminist? I agree with her!

PZ Myers is a lifelong feminst?

I agree with her!!!!

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Gefan wrote: I see you still haven't addressed my specific responses to your requests for right-wing, social engineering policies.

Cunt.
I haven't addressed it because I've been offline, shit-for-brains. In the time since my last posting, I've cycled 80 km. It's much more pleasant than arguing with political dullards like you. I guess you didn't predict that.

Ah, but where do I begin? It looks like you've also got a copy of Political Rhetoric for Dummies and are randomly taking arguments out of the "Debating a Libertarian" chapter. If I'm so reliant on Ayn Rand, how come I haven't mentioned her or used any Objectivist arguments once in my 780 or so posts here? I think I did mention Objectivism once in passing, but it was a criticism. Can you find a single post of mine that urges ideological purity? I don't do ideological purity. You're talking out of your ass.

As anyone with a fifth grade or higher reading comprehension level would be able to tell, my challenge to you wasn't to come up with policies from the right that could be termed social engineering. You weren't criticizing just social engineering. You were going much, much farther and criticizing a stern form of authoritarianism. If you think a policy that gives a relatively small financial tax benefit to families, and that was put in place in part to offset the previous marriage penalty situation, can possibly be described as bullying people into marriage and having kids, you're nuts. And given that marriage rates have continued a long term decline unabated since these policies went into effect, if it's bullying it's laughably ineffective. I'm still waiting to hear what the "bullying" is that makes people move to the suburbs, go to church, play golf, and watch Fox News.

For the record, although I think it would be obvious to those with any political acumen who read what I've written in this exchange and in the past, I don't support social engineering policies and I don't support social conservatives. I kind of regret bringing up social conservatives in my initial post, since it complicated the argument, and when arguing with a simpleton such as yourself, it's important to keep things, well, simple. You were specifically going after Breitbart and "neocons" (although you do not appear to know what a neocon is...they tend to regard social issues as a distraction or are outright social liberals, and this is one of the major schisms on the right). My point with bringing it up was that not even real social conservatives do what you are accusing other conservatives of.

But perhaps this is a case where you're just a very poor communicator and words mean, Humpty Dumpty style, just what you intend them to mean. Maybe your Parklife-worthy (H/T Parody Accountant) screed didn't mean "bullying" in any traditional sense at all and reading it requires some artistic license. If so, this exchange has been based on a misunderstanding, and as it appears I'm not able to exercise the kind of artistic license required to translate your scribblings, I'll avoid it in the future.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Dolores Fuller wrote:
FYI TEACHING OPPORTUNITY
This x-ray illustrates Throkmorton's Sign:
The penis always points to the side with the pathology
Nah, I've always carried left.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Wake me up when someone posts something for those with fourth-grade reading comprehension.

Couch

Post by Couch »

Service Dog wrote:
And, what the heck, here's another lets-scare-ourselves-silly circlejerk: http://www.askamanager.org/2012/07/my-c ... w-why.html

If there's one thing that last link's comments section taught me, it's that the Muslims' Gift Of Fear is totally rational & women should be segrated from working with men & protected in public with a black body-tent. Tim Hunt minimized women's lived psychic experiences.
SD, what was the issue with that comments section? It was really, really long so I sorta skimmed, but it seemed to be a largely sensible discussion about dealing with/reacting to creepy co-workers/managers/supervisors...

I fully concede I mighta missed something as, again, it was long and I skimmed...

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Couch wrote:
Service Dog wrote:
And, what the heck, here's another lets-scare-ourselves-silly circlejerk: http://www.askamanager.org/2012/07/my-c ... w-why.html

If there's one thing that last link's comments section taught me, it's that the Muslims' Gift Of Fear is totally rational & women should be segrated from working with men & protected in public with a black body-tent. Tim Hunt minimized women's lived psychic experiences.
SD, what was the issue with that comments section? It was really, really long so I sorta skimmed, but it seemed to be a largely sensible discussion about dealing with/reacting to creepy co-workers/managers/supervisors...

I fully concede I mighta missed something as, again, it was long and I skimmed...
There was nothing about Muslims or Tim Hunt in the comments section. It was just 'sensible' advice/ except the story it followed was pure paranoia... with not a whit of evidence that the new male co-worker was doing anything wrong/ beyond Women's Intuition. I was being absurd & suggesting that anyone's paranoia-- Saudi Arabian patriarch or Tim Hunt critic was no-more (or less) worth of being taken seriously. --I'm aware that was a stretch, so thanks for asking for clarification.