Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Old subthreads
blitzem

Re: Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Post by blitzem »

katamari Damassi wrote: No judgement on her appearance(I know, weird for me, right?), but why is she taking a selfie in what appears to be a back alley?
Looking for her next meal?

blitzem

Post by blitzem »

Sunder wrote:Neat. Posted a video of his yesterday and he has a new one today:

[youtube]MTJQPyTVtNA[/youtube]
Yeah, it's always nice to get a new vid from potholer.

Now just waiting for a new one from CoolHardLogic.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Just going to let me slide by with that huh?

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Sulman wrote:
Tigzy wrote:Also, Elyse is culturally appropriating stuff from round my neck of the woods, in that her hairstyle is a local cultural artefact known as the Pompey Pineapple.
Holy shit, are you a skate?
I'm guessing the lack of a 'too' on the end of that makes you a scummer.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Tigzy wrote:
Sulman wrote:
Tigzy wrote:Also, Elyse is culturally appropriating stuff from round my neck of the woods, in that her hairstyle is a local cultural artefact known as the Pompey Pineapple.
Holy shit, are you a skate?
I'm guessing the lack of a 'too' on the end of that makes you a scummer.
Haha, honorary. Lived there for over ten years.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Sulman wrote: Haha, honorary. Lived there for over ten years.
Any excuse will do, right? :lol:

Couch

Post by Couch »

Brive1987 wrote:
Couch wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
You silly, stupid little boy. :naughty:

But if you really must.

https://sinmantyx.wordpress.com
Jaysus. You weren't kidding. It's undergraduate, cringeworthy stuff.

Massively underdeveloped self-awareness revealed:
This is simply a place to rant and think about various issues. I am a big fan of the free market place of ideas. Please feel free to comment!
Really? So....just let me get this straight....the forum you've publicly pledged to devoting your considerable and stealthy mental super-powers to destroying with indexes - that forum - that's the one which doesn't censor or ban? :think:
HJ sub-lets space on that blog which belongs to Melby. You need to check the author tags.

I'm pretty sure the "about" is about her. The thought of HJ with kids and teaching 'the youth' would otherwise be a dismaying one.
Oh. He he...

Couch

Post by Couch »

comhcinc wrote:So hey I got mes a job.
Hooray for Happiness!

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Congratulations!

Once again, The Patriarchy takes care of it's own.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Gefan wrote:
Congratulations!

Indeed. Whatchya got, commie? Trainee rapist? Middle-management Twitter troll? CEO of ShutTheFuckUpAndGetBackInTheKitchen.com?

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Gefan wrote:
Congratulations!

Lol it certainly took it's sweet time this time around. Pretty much right up to the wire. I could not go another week with no income. If I leaved in the 1920s I would be going to sell my good work boots.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

That's good news.

Couch

Post by Couch »

comhcinc wrote:
Gefan wrote:
Congratulations!

Lol it certainly took it's sweet time this time around. Pretty much right up to the wire. I could not go another week with no income. If I leaved in the 1920s I would be going to sell my good work boots.
Are they jackboots? There was a guy on here looking for some the other day; said they are great for giving the Gypsies, homos and darkies 'one to go on with' as they board the cattle wagons.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Couch wrote: Are they jackboots? There was a guy on here looking for some the other day; said they are great for giving the Gypsies, homos and darkies 'one to go on with' as they board the cattle wagons.
Alast no. I don't I would have made the cut. I am short and round and dark. My feet are oddly shaped. Hobbit like you could say. American Men's size 9 1/2 EEEE

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

Good for you. Doing what?

Now I can hit you up for a loan!

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Bourne Skeptic wrote:

Good for you. Doing what?

Now I can hit you up for a loan!

It's a tech support job with a little shipping and server maintenance thrown in for good measure. It's a small but long established importer and wholesaler of surveillance equipment. My job consist of providing support to either retailers or end users via telephone, email, etc for the 250+ products we sell. I am also handling returns/replacements because all our products carry a lifetime guarantee. Throw in a little server maintenance and that is my job.

The pay is on the low end but I was promised a quick raise (within weeks) and I believe them because one of my workmates says that is exactly what they did with him.

It's a real laid back environment. I am allowed to wear shorts and t shirts. The owner is a real chili guy who doesn't mess with you as long as you do your job.

I'm really excited about working at this place.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

comhcinc wrote: It's a tech support job with a little shipping and server maintenance thrown in for good measure. It's a small but long established importer and wholesaler of surveillance equipment. My job consist of providing support to either retailers or end users via telephone, email, etc for the 250+ products we sell. I am also handling returns/replacements because all our products carry a lifetime guarantee. Throw in a little server maintenance and that is my job.

The pay is on the low end but I was promised a quick raise (within weeks) and I believe them because one of my workmates says that is exactly what they did with him.

It's a real laid back environment. I am allowed to wear shorts and t shirts. The owner is a real chili guy who doesn't mess with you as long as you do your job.

I'm really excited about working at this place.

Damn, I was wrong.

I'd been searching the WWE developmental roster for a familiar face.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Gefan wrote:
Damn, I was wrong.

I'd been searching the WWE developmental roster for a familiar face.
WWE Monday Night Raw is live in Atlanta tonight. I am looking forward to seeing Dusty Rhodes' son StarDust make his first appearance since his father died.

http://dailywrestlingnews.com/wp-conten ... ardust.gif

If you are putting money on me making it you better be getting amazing odds. Not only would I be the oldest rookie ever I would be the shortest in the modern area.

Not sure how my sadsack single father gimmick would play. :think:

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

Tribble wrote: Yeah, I kind of have my doubts:

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... e=565CD8AF

Nothing personal, but she looks like just another middle-aged housewife. Which means people may 'see' her, but they don't really 'notice' her. And she's sure as hell not getting 'grotesquely objectified' anywhere but in her imagination.
Still, I think it was unfair of you to go to her place of work and take a photo of her. That's stalking.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

And congrats, comhcinc.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Congrats, com!

Presumably unrelated:
Due process win: California judge rules kangaroo court "unfair"

acathode

Post by acathode »

Since some here were talking about left/right-wing media, and Guardian in particular, a while ago, the latest GamerGate drama might be interesting to some.

A few days ago, a story about how apparently a study showed that teenage boys had become tired of sexy women in games broke and several media outlets ran with it:

Times: Everything You Know About Boys and Video Games Is Wrong, by Rosalind Wiseman:
... In collaboration with my colleagues, Charlie Kuhn and gaming expert Ashly Burch, we surveyed more than 1,400 middle and high school students from throughout the country last year. We asked them to tell us what they thought about gender representation in games, what games girls play, and more. Our survey was exploratory—we didn’t have the resources to conduct a thorough evaluation—but we believed it was an important issue to study and hope others will follow.
Here are three things we found that may surprise.

Boys believe female characters are treated too often as sex objects
47% of middle school boys agreed or strongly agreed, and 61% of high school boys agreed or strongly agreed. “If women are objectified like this it defeats the entire purpose of fighting,” Theo, an eighth-grader who loves playing Mortal Kombat, told us. “I would respect the [female] character more for having some dignity.” ...

The Guardian: Even teenage boys are sick of sexist video games, survey finds - In the study of about 1,400 US youths, 47% of middle-school boys and 61% of high school boys agreed that women are treated as sex objects too often in games. ... For many years in the mainstream games industry, there has been an apparent assumption that the male teen demographic was the only one that mattered. Much of the time this meant beefy male protagonists (to identify with – or aspire to) and sexualised women (too gaze at or rescue).

RawStory: Sorry #GamerGate: Even teenage boys are sick of sexist video games (same article as the Guardian one, with a dif. headline)

Polygon: The games industry is wrong about kids, gaming and gender - The results of a new study, revealed yesterday at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco, show that today's young consumers are far more progressive than the games industry gives them credit for

Engadet: Survey shows boys think women are underrepresented in video games
Wired: Teenage boys want less sex in games

(I just listed some of the major sites that ran with the story, in total there were something like 20-25 sites that ran it, but some of them small and rather insignificant)
-

There was just one tiny problem:
The "study" was built on data from a web-survey on a site called "SurveyMonkey", and the authors of this study decided to post the link to this study on their twitter and facebook page, and from there the link also ended up on various SJW tumblr-pages etc...

to quote Bill Hicks: Well how fucking scientific, okay.

GG quickly found this out and started making a loud fuss over it - which caused the authors to post this explanation - where they write:

"We stated at the Game Developers Conference (GDC) and in the TIME article that this survey was exploratory or a “convenience” sample that was meant to generate conversations and encourage others in the field to continue this research in more thorough ways. We have never claimed that this is a rigorous academic survey, nor that it should be treated as such. ... "

Now it's true that Rosalind in her TIME article spend a whole 2 sentences explaining that their study was "exploratory", but correct me if I'm wrong, even in "exploratory" studies I find it hard to believe that any scientist would knowingly poisoning their sample this way? Also, even if they in 2 sentences tell the readers it's "exploratory", the rest of the article, esp. the title, sure as hell don't read as if it's not a "rigorous academic survey" - and that's just looking at her own article that she herself wrote for TIME. The other articles sure as hell make it sound as this is exactly a "rigorous academic survey".

It's almost as if this was some sort of bizarre, intentional Chinese whisper game, where one news site can publish a opinion piece with "the right message", and then a bunch of other news outlets can take that and report it as facts 2nd hand, and end up with a propaganda piece that is complete fucking bullshit, and yet it's "no ones fault"...

You also just have to marvel how media will lap up almost any bullshit and report it unquestioningly when it aligns with whatever ideology the media outlet happen to have, be it right wing fundie bullshit or left wing progressive bullshit - and you also have to marvel at how insanely easy it seem to be to play media and manipulate them. Set up a fucking web-survey with loaded questions, where you even go the extra mile and make sure the people answering it have the right ideological bias - and cash in 20+ articles pushing your ideological propaganda.... It's fucking sad.

acathode

Post by acathode »

Ps - Grats comhcinc! Hope it works out. (also, sorry for the wall of text)

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Thanks everyone. It is nice to have up moments.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

comhcinc wrote:
If you are putting money on me making it you better be getting amazing odds. Not only would I be the oldest rookie ever I would be the shortest in the modern area.

Not sure how my sadsack single father gimmick would play. :think:
WCW did a thing where you could come to a house show early and meet some stars some 25 yrs ago when my son was in town 4 or 5 yrs old visiting for a couple of weeks. Dustin was pretty new on the scene then I guess, spent a good while chatting with him on his lap. This was before the GoldDust character. :whistle: Nice fellow.

Congrats on the new job. You can be the Support Guy. "HAVE YOU PLUGGED I IN? TURNED IT ON? CHECKED YOUR CABLES? READ THE MANUAL? YOU'RE GONNA NEED A .... REBOOT .... to the Head!"

Post by Guest »

blitzem wrote:
Sunder wrote:Neat. Posted a video of his yesterday and he has a new one today:

[youtube]MTJQPyTVtNA[/youtube]
Yeah, it's always nice to get a new vid from potholer.

Now just waiting for a new one from CoolHardLogic.
We should be seeking for some way to breed the two of them together

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

fuzzy wrote: WCW did a thing where you could come to a house show early and meet some stars some 25 yrs ago when my son was in town 4 or 5 yrs old visiting for a couple of weeks. Dustin was pretty new on the scene then I guess, spent a good while chatting with him on his lap. This was before the GoldDust character. :whistle: Nice fellow.
I think they still do that kinda stuff especially at house shows. Too bad it wasn't Golddust. That would have made interesting stories at grandmas during thanksgiving dinner
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8gwo ... o1_500.gif

fuzzy wrote:Congrats on the new job. You can be the Support Guy. "HAVE YOU PLUGGED I IN? TURNED IT ON? CHECKED YOUR CABLES? READ THE MANUAL? YOU'RE GONNA NEED A .... REBOOT .... to the Head!"
A couple of people have seen my resume. I was the support guy. I worked for a company that serviced 25 telco's in all aspects of their internet business from engineers to the little old man who just bought his first pc. I would take about a 100 calls a day. I was pretty damn good at my job. Not the best but better than most.

Anyway I know all this talk about me has to be boring people. They just released the comic con Suicide Squad trailer. The movie will heavy feature what seems to be the sjw's favorite character Harley Quinn. I wonder if they will be happy or if there will be bitching and moaning?

[youtube]fVFTrLDsW8U[/youtube]

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

I'm friendly with an actor in Suicide Squad. We're neighbors. I'm surprised how much that influences me to follow news about the film & care how it fares. Which confirms my intention to not vote in the next presidential election/ to remain clearheaded about the race/ rather than pick a horse & risk being biased in how I interpret the news.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Cunning Punt wrote:
Tribble wrote: Yeah, I kind of have my doubts:

[img]https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... e=565CD8AF[/img]

Nothing personal, but she looks like just another middle-aged housewife. Which means people may 'see' her, but they don't really 'notice' her. And she's sure as hell not getting 'grotesquely objectified' anywhere but in her imagination.
Still, I think it was unfair of you to go to her place of work and take a photo of her. That's stalking.
She looks high.

Really?

Post by Really? »

acathode wrote:snip...

You also just have to marvel how media will lap up almost any bullshit and report it unquestioningly when it aligns with whatever ideology the media outlet happen to have, be it right wing fundie bullshit or left wing progressive bullshit - and you also have to marvel at how insanely easy it seem to be to play media and manipulate them. Set up a fucking web-survey with loaded questions, where you even go the extra mile and make sure the people answering it have the right ideological bias - and cash in 20+ articles pushing your ideological propaganda.... It's fucking sad.
I was not aware that credible science was being done on Surveymonkey.

Do sane people really think that heterosexual teenage boys are sick of looking at women or thinking about their sexuality?

Have ANY of these feminist researchers ever met any straight males?

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

acathode wrote:<snip>

A question often asked among GamerGate supporters is how much the affair has changed their politics. Personally, it hasn't changed my politics at all. But it has given me an intense disdain for journalism in general, an erosion of faith that likely won't go away for decades, if ever.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Really? wrote:

Do sane people really think that heterosexual teenage boys are sick of looking at women or thinking about their sexuality?

I can't find the tweet right now, but I did see something on my feed that made me laugh. To paraphrase:

"Survey conducted by mothers finds 0% of teenage boys masturbate"

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Really? wrote:I was not aware that credible science was being done on Surveymonkey.
Credible? Nope. Published in some first-tier journals? I'm afraid so.

Couch

Post by Couch »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote:All this chat about IKEA and the re-mention of aspie sex forces me to remind anyone who has not watched The Bridge (the Swedish/Danish version; not the awful American remake) needs to set aside some time to do so.
Seconded.
Kiwi, how is it distributed in Oz (if it is?) Is it just DVD/torrenting?

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Service Dog wrote:I'm friendly with an actor in Suicide Squad. We're neighbors. I'm surprised how much that influences me to follow news about the film & care how it fares. Which confirms my intention to not vote in the next presidential election/ to remain clearheaded about the race/ rather than pick a horse & risk being biased in how I interpret the news.

so what you are saying is you are friends with Will Smith and you have done Clinton up the poopshoot.

Do me a favor. Tell Smith to shake off that negative Hancock shit. It was a pretty decent flick.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Really? wrote:

Just incredible.

It kind of reminds me of how Carrier thinks he's special because he wants to bang lots of women and doesn't like blue balls.

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

Guestus Aurelius wrote: Just incredible.

It kind of reminds me of how Carrier thinks he's special because he wants to bang lots of women and doesn't like blue balls.

Is it because blue is a traditional gender indicator of the patriarchy?

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... e=565CD8AF

Is it just me, or is this a women who in better looking days got looks from guys and now she is not getting looks from guys. And now she goes ballistic about being objectified when in fact she is no longer being objectified. What is that, projection, reverse projection?

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

dog puke wrote:

I....un...I...kinda like a bit of blue balls :shifty:

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

comhcinc wrote:
dog puke wrote:

I....un...I...kinda like a bit of blue balls :shifty:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_rBwnDbFUbVA/T ... resize.jpg

They are kind of cute.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

It's funny when they get caught rigging and misreporting surveys . The usual trick is to say 'we intended to have it as a kick off point for further discussion....' Sarkesian pulls that trick too every time she is called on her outright lies. It is the same when creationists say 'we need to debate the controversy'. There is nothing to discuss if it is based on lies. Get some real facts and then there is no problem. Why can't they do that? It should be easy. I wonder...

The media have been lying for years and every time they do more people become aware of it. People like Myers and Svan help a lot. It is so trivial to show how wrong they are when they grossly misrepresent the simplest statement or comment from people they do not like and over hype statements from those they do like. That means only the most willfully ignorant are persuaded by their arguments. They damage the very causes they claim to represent, which is why Nugent fell out with them. They do deep harm to social justice. They help no one and damage everyone they come in contact with, including those they claim to support.

Eventually the truth wins but that is only possible if freedom of speech is encouraged and censorship is restricted. It is no coincidence Myers and other demagogues hate those concepts and routinely abuse them while also encouraging any policy which restricts freedom of thought and speech (such as the brain washing of 'allies' workshops and onerous conference policies they can use to get their way)

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

That is some great news. The article outlines a pretty shocking list of clearly unfair procedures and decisions dealt out by some gang of administrative hacks at UCSD.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Really? wrote:

I laughed when I saw the headlines and did not click. I remember what I was like and the other boys my age were pretty similar. There was no way that it could have been true.

Unless you chemically castrate teenage males nothing like that is even remotely possible.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

MacGruberKnows wrote:https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... e=565CD8AF

Is it just me, or is this a women who in better looking days got looks from guys and now she is not getting looks from guys. And now she goes ballistic about being objectified when in fact she is no longer being objectified. What is that, projection, reverse projection?
I think it's called "The Wall." :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Service Dog wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote: .... And if SJWs had any power they'd put people in jail for "hate speech" (read: disagreeing with the dogma) and would have them go through re-education camps (probably ran by the likes of Stephanie Zvan or Zinnia Jones).
Would MRAs do the equivalent?
Many of them would. Aurini is a neo-Nazi: 'nuff said. RooshV is a white supremacist, Vox Day is an all-around authoritarian nutter with delusion of grandeur, Warcorpse is a moron who wishes he were in charge of society and have women make him sandwiches, Elam has said some pretty authoritarian stuff on the place of women within society (universal suffrage, for example) and about reproductive rights.

True it's #NotAllMRAs. But those are all prominent figures in the "movement", just like PZ, Zvan or Zinnia are prominent SJWs.

The vast majority of the followers on both sides are decent people who actually care about what they perceive to be real problems. But as it usual for most niche social and political movements (actually for most social and political movements in general), many of the leaders and most prominent figures are either profiteers or nuts with a lust for power.

Authoritarian nutters are more common than you'd think. Steersman is a clear example of how they think (unless he's trolling us). They have a "perfect solution" ("population transfers", anyone?) to society's ills which goes against the principles of liberal democracy but is "so perfect" and the damage done by the Evil Enemies is "so bad" that consequences and human rights be damned, it HAS to be the law of the land.

SJWs have their "safe spaces", MRAs have the "Men Going Their Own Way". SJWs have the "shitlords" to fight with any means, MRAs have the "manginas" and the "white knights".
Thanks for taking an honest swing at answering my question.

I'll grant you that Aurini, RooshV , Vox Day, & Warcorpse... might be exactly as unsavory as you claim & the MRA equivalent of Zvan & Zinnia. I've heard those MRA names/ but I can't say I know anything about them; except they have a bad rep. Elam, I know.

To me MRA pretty-much means Karen Straughan, Alison Tieman & John Hembling... and I consider those-three to be better than their feminist counterparts, such as Naomi Wolf, bell hooks & Germaine Greer. Using the Men's Rights subreddit as representative of the MRA populace, I'd say there are many who do-indeed simply fill-in-the-blanks of SJW/ po-mo/PC/Authoritarian/Identity Politics with "Men" as the designated pity-group... but those voice seem more like n00bs who can't-yet MRA correctly, rather than leading voices. And there are plenty on reddit who warn the others not to simply adopt SJW talking-points/ but to reject the entire SJW thesis.

One way I see MRA & Feminism as not-equivalent is that I don't see any male-favoring equivalent of the Violence Against Women Act, which unfairly destroys the lives of more impoverished men of color every day... than the KKK ever-did, at it's height.

But maybe I have a blindspot & there is indeed an MRA equivalent?

My sense is: the best that MRAs have to offer is better than the best Feminists do/ and the worst MRAs have to offer is better than the worst Feminists do. So, not equivalent.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

comhcinc wrote:
so what you are saying is you are friends with Will Smith and you have done Clinton up the poopshoot.
Dang! Doxxed again!

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

My sense is: the best that MRAs have to offer is better than the best Feminists do/ and the worst MRAs have to offer is better than the worst Feminists do. So, not equivalent.
I say we have a naked sumo match between TJ. the Amazing Atheist and Melissa McEwen, the Ground Shaker!
The winner decides if the MRAs or the feminists win. :clap:

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Couch wrote:Kiwi, how is it distributed in Oz (if it is?) Is it just DVD/torrenting?
You can use a gizmo like Hola to make it seem like you're in the States and then go here: http://www.hulu.com/the-bridge-se

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Couch wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote:All this chat about IKEA and the re-mention of aspie sex forces me to remind anyone who has not watched The Bridge (the Swedish/Danish version; not the awful American remake) needs to set aside some time to do so.
Seconded.
Kiwi, how is it distributed in Oz (if it is?) Is it just DVD/torrenting?
SBS On Demand - 2 - 5 days left of free viewing for Series 1.

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

fuzzy wrote:
That is some great news. The article outlines a pretty shocking list of clearly unfair procedures and decisions dealt out by some gang of administrative hacks at UCSD.
Those administrators shouldn't be adjudicating the validity of parking tickets never mind sexual assaults and rape.

Couch

Post by Couch »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
Couch wrote:Kiwi, how is it distributed in Oz (if it is?) Is it just DVD/torrenting?
You can use a gizmo like Hola to make it seem like you're in the States and then go here: http://www.hulu.com/the-bridge-se
Thx. I'll give it a go. Netflix recently launched here and I subscribed in an attempt to go (more) legit but it turns out their Australian offerings are a bit slim, as most licensing deals here are tied up across the several FTA networks (and our cable TV monolpoly, Foxtel) for up to several years to come.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

AnonymousCowherd wrote: There's something really sad about that photo.
Yeah, it shouts 'communicable diseases'.

Oops, I did it again.

[youtube]qYr9kIyambE[/youtube]

acathode

Post by acathode »

Really? wrote:

The question I want to ask is, Have ANY of the journalist ever met any straight males?

Feminist are going to be feminists, none of the people behind this are scientists or researchers, Wiseman is an social justice author that got into "parent education" after having been a martial arts teacher for girls, and describe herself as a "though leader", Burche is a voice actress and a youtuber, and Kuhn just seem to be Wiseman's co-wroker ("Director of Operations and Marketing at Rosalind Wiseman").

Basically, these people are just your everyday political ideologues pushing their agenda with some seriously bad but sciency sounding bullshit that they pulled out of their asses - like so many other ideologues trying to push an agenda. This sort of crap is what these kind of people do, it's to be expected that these people lie - you could almost call it their job...

Now the journalists on the other hand... Their job is to NOT let this sort of crap through - to NOT be used as mouth pieces for political ideologues peddling propaganda and lies is in their fucking job description. What's even worse is that this is such an obvious lie!

Teenage boys wanting less boobs?! If that doesn't trigger the bullshit alarm and make a journalist go "Hmmm, well that sounds fishy. I should take at least 10 mins to make sure this isn't some grade A bullshit.", then nothing will - then there is no bullshit alarm at all! The lights are on but there's no one home... the people who wrote and reported about this are complete and utter failures as journalists.

They are simply completely incompetent - and that's the generous interpretation!

The not so generous interpretations are that at least for some of the journalist the though "Hey that result goes against everything I believe that I know about teenage boys - and that's strange because I've been one myself!" crossed their minds, but either (1) tried to check it but were incompetent and didn't find the faults, or (2) decided to not care and print it anyway, because they just don't care if what they print is truth or lies...

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Umm....this just seems odd, on several levels.

6 Women Whipping the Video Game Industry Into Shape | Playboy
http://www.playboy.com/articles/6-women ... into-shape

Kudos, though, for the clear edits & acknowledgement in that article that one of the 6 women donated (after being chosen & interviewed) to the Patreon account of the author, a freelance journalist.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Skep tickle wrote:Umm....this just seems odd, on several levels.

6 Women Whipping the Video Game Industry Into Shape | Playboy
http://www.playboy.com/articles/6-women ... into-shape

Kudos, though, for the clear edits & acknowledgement in that article that one of the 6 women donated (after being chosen & interviewed) to the Patreon account of the author, a freelance journalist.
Forgot to mention, that link is SFW but if you need to maintain that level of safe-space you will want to be careful where you click on the page.

KenD

Post by KenD »

acathode wrote:Since some here were talking about left/right-wing media, and Guardian in particular, a while ago, the latest GamerGate drama might be interesting to some.

A few days ago, a story about how apparently a study showed that teenage boys had become tired of sexy women in games broke and several media outlets ran with it:

Times: Everything You Know About Boys and Video Games Is Wrong, by Rosalind Wiseman:

Boys believe female characters are treated too often as sex objects
47% of middle school boys agreed or strongly agreed, and 61% of high school boys agreed or strongly agreed. “If women are objectified like this it defeats the entire purpose of fighting,” Theo, an eighth-grader who loves playing Mortal Kombat, told us. “I would respect the [female] character more for having some dignity.” ...

The Guardian: Even teenage boys are sick of sexist video games, survey finds - In the study of about 1,400 US youths, 47% of middle-school boys and 61% of high school boys agreed that women are treated as sex objects too often in games. ...
Even ignoring the problems with the survey itself, the bit I've highlighted does a good job of showing that Chinese whisper game effect, and is sadly typical of the way journalists quotemine statistics (including those from studies that are actually credible).

I've seen that 47%/61% statistic highlighted in a number of articles as showing a general rejection of sexual imagery/objectification in games, when it actually looks like it came from a single leading question about bikini clad fighters in Mortal Kombat. You can think that the way they're dressed doesn't fit that particular game, and that the fighters should have "dignity" (OMG the slut shaming!), without necessarily having a problem with prostitutes and strippers in GTA, or the countless other things that SJWs find "problematic".

KenD

Post by KenD »

comhcinc wrote:Anyway I know all this talk about me has to be boring people. They just released the comic con Suicide Squad trailer. The movie will heavy feature what seems to be the sjw's favorite character Harley Quinn. I wonder if they will be happy or if there will be bitching and moaning?
I've already seen complaints that she's being "sexualised/objectified" and isn't the "strong and empowered" woman from the comics/cartoons...

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Aneris - looking back - that woman who was beaten by her partner is fucked up, I didn't watch it/or read more about it than I had to, I admit.
Congratulations!

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

KenD wrote:
comhcinc wrote:Anyway I know all this talk about me has to be boring people. They just released the comic con Suicide Squad trailer. The movie will heavy feature what seems to be the sjw's favorite character Harley Quinn. I wonder if they will be happy or if there will be bitching and moaning?
I've already seen complaints that she's being "sexualised/objectified" and isn't the "strong and empowered" woman from the comics/cartoons...
SJW fannishness of Harley always weirds me out. She's infantilised, she's a beaten girlfriend who keeps going back to a guy (who she also stalks) and she's fucking pathetic. WHY does every SJW see her as teh bestest character evar.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Did I just answer my own question.