Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Re: Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Post by Lsuoma »

Skep tickle wrote:"Christians Freaking Out Over Freedom: Polyamory Edition"

http://freethoughtblogs.com/carrier/archives/7700

archive link: https://archive.is/oozcV

Opens with:
So when I came out as polyamorous in February, the godless Slymepit blew a gasket. But so did Christians. Their freakout was quaint. And hardly substantive. So I just filed it as something to amuse over when I had time. Now as I sit for hours in the Raleigh-Durham airport awaiting my flight home, drinking a lovely bottle of Carolina wine from the Old North State Winery, what better fun than to survey the Christian panic over poly?
Later:
(Nick) Peters also fell for the lies and bubble of bullshit promulgated by the Slymepit trolls Yeti and Shermertron. But I already covered that. Note this means Christians don’t know who the fringe atheist wingnuts are. But we can just laugh at that.

And return to his more serious article…

Amusingly, Peters begins the substantive part of Along Came Poly with, “prominent internet blogger Richard Carrier, who seems to be the answer to all conservative NT scholarship in the eyes of internet atheists everywhere, wrote a post about” coming out poly. So, a well published Ph.D. in ancient history from Columbia University with numerous peer reviewed books and articles in major journals and presses is just an internet blogger. Whom Christians are evidently annoyed everyone keeps citing and quoting at them online. Okay.
Ok, Dr. Richard "Spunky Monkey", "Semen Fetishist" Carrier, PhD, well published Ph.D. in ancient history from Columbia University with numerous peer reviewed(sic0 books and articles in major journals and presses (WPPIAHFCUWNPRBAAIMJAP), keep telling yourself how great you are and that you're not just an internet blogger. Someday you'll be able to convince yourself. But nobody else is going to believe you.

BTW, Dr. Richard "Spunky Monkey", "Semen Fetishist" Carrier, PhD, WPPIAHFCUWNPRBAAIMJAP, "peer-reviewed" is a compound adjective, and so it should be hyphenated.

:dance: :dance: :dance:

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

And "(sic0" should be "(sic)". :whistle:

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

BTW, here is the alt text for the image at the top of the article.
alt="Photo Dr. Carrier took of his bottle and glass of wine at the airport. Venue menu on the table reads Carlolina Vintages. Bottle label reads Restless Soul Red Table Wine, from Old North State Winery. Label depicts drawing of a rising skeleton's arm lifting up a glass of wine."
Holy fuck, the guy make Narcissus look like a cutter...

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Speaking of Sticky Dicky, the statement about Carrier being a semen fetishist has been removed from his Wikipedia article.

I'm sure Dr Carrier will soon be busy on the talk page, admonishing the offending editor for being such a prude.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
Talker wrote:Has anyone ever been found not guilty in a kangaroo blog trial?
Yeah. PZ and Lousy Canuck. :D
Ogvorbis, too.
And Sally Strange. The must have the entire .0000000002% of sexual crime claims that are false! :shock:

Aneris

Statistics.

Post by Aneris »

It's not without a dose of smugness, a short must-read note on statistics. Same direction as usual, forget about “probably a rapist” pet theories. I probably made similar nomenclature mistakes, otherwise I'm also someone who views many a scientific endeavour (and even more, many unscientific endeavours) as Sophisticated Apophenia, monkeys seeing meaningful patterns in noise and correlations (hence Aneris, Discordian Goddess of Apparent Order). Not to be confused with Cognitive Relativism or with the sure rubbish of postmodern “theories”. We can find out meaningful things (we know what it means to us, the human perceiver) and do all the time, and some people are less wrong than others about what was found out. And we have, and must use different models to cast a net of understanding on what we have before us, where some are better or worse in capturing the features of interest (incidentially, I believe this bridges over to art effortlessly).

But back to the article...
Andrew Gelman wrote:All snark aside, I’d never really had a sense of the reasoning by which people get to these sorts of ridiculous claims based on such shaky data. But now I see it. It’s the two steps: (a) the observed frequency is the probability, (b) if p less than .05 then the result is probably real. Plus, the intellectual incentive of having your pet theory confirmed, and the professional incentive of getting published in the tabloids. But underlying all this are the wrong definitions of “probability” and “statistical significance.”
http://andrewgelman.com/2015/07/19/a-ba ... e-program/

If you feel funny, maybe reread FTB master satirist Jason Thibeault take on the “Null Hypothesis”, and my take on it at the time... (I walked back on seeing a rape as a kind of individual Black Swan event, though I believe it was still a better way to look at it, than to seriously work with frequencies and odds). I am also unprovokedly unsure to what degree the Ecological Fallacy describes the errors in reasoning over there, and have to think more about this.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Tigzy wrote:Speaking of Sticky Dicky, the statement about Carrier being a semen fetishist has been removed from his Wikipedia article.

I'm sure Dr Carrier will soon be busy on the talk page, admonishing the offending editor for being such a prude.
Since you mentioned it, I thought I'd take a look. "Semen fetishist" was taken out by an IP user: 2602:306:CC00:67E0:8DEE:A95:6941:3403.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =670912619

The user has made only three edits over the course of a few days:

02:04, 11 July 2015 (diff | hist) . . (-336)‎ . . Richard Carrier ‎ (Undid revision 670234740 by 64.83.46.253 (talk) WP:REL)
02:38, 10 July 2015 (diff | hist) . . (+198)‎ . . User talk:ScrapIronIV ‎ (→‎Historicity of Jesus: new section)
02:14, 8 July 2015 (diff | hist) . . (+90)‎ . . Talk:Historicity of Jesus ‎ (→‎The quality of this article is substandard.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:C ... :6941:3403

As I revealed earlier, Carrier was caught editing his own Wikipedia page...perhaps he has figured out to do it anonymously.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=444&p=287577

feathers

Post by feathers »

Lsuoma wrote:Ok, Dr. Richard "Spunky Monkey", "Semen Fetishist" Carrier, PhD, well published Ph.D. in ancient history from Columbia University with numerous peer reviewed(sic0 books and articles in major journals and presses (WPPIAHFCUWNPRBAAIMJAP), keep telling yourself how great you are and that you're not just an internet blogger. Someday you'll be able to convince yourself. But nobody else is going to believe you.
Don't forget 'Average Sized Caucasian'.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

@Really

Are you suggesting that Dicky really doesn't want people to know he's a semen fetishist, and has acted precisely like the sort of hypocritical sex-negative prude you'd usually find in the ranks of the godless Slymepit and the religious?

Really?

Post by Really? »

Tigzy wrote:@Really

Are you suggesting that Dicky really doesn't want people to know he's a semen fetishist, and has acted precisely like the sort of hypocritical sex-negative prude you'd usually find in the ranks of the godless Slymepit and the religious?
You're right. We need to acknowledge the heroism of his out-and-proud stance. Why do we blow a gasket over his in-born sexual orientation?

Billy The Hillbilly

Post by Billy The Hillbilly »

Nerd Of Redhead wants Reddit banned fromma them there search engines:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-960654

Billy's reply:

YER GOTTA CITATION FUR THAT?
Evidenseless opinion, dismiss'd as a fuckwit.

FLUSH!!!

Post by Guest »

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Dr. Richard "Spunky Monkey", "Semen Fetishist" Carrier, PhD, WPPIAHFCUWNPRBAAIMJAP (PBUH) is now the #2 and #3 hit on google for "semen fetishist".

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

feathers wrote:
The name's Breivik. And Oslo is a small city if you've killed 77 people, so he'd better emigrate if he is released, which I doubt he will in the foreseeable future.
Eh? Oh I see now. I did not notice. Perhaps in future I may remember the spelling. I really do not understand that corner of the world apart from the stereotypes and even then Norwegians are blank to me. In summary:

Norwegians = ?
Swedes = Crazy
Danes = Arrogant
Finns = Drunken knife fights on Saturday night.
feathers wrote: I don't know about that particular case, but Norwegian law allows deportation for crimes, and they've deported thousands upon thousands of criminal immigrants for years now.
The immigration quota issue is rampant throughout Europe. Tough titty for Greece, they're the first host and that's where they'll have to stay.
Greece is in a world or hurt, both short and long term. No question in my mind.

Also, my view on multiculturalism is that it is not going to work out too well. Some countries will do better than others, but in the end it is going to be painful for all who try it.

Interesting times ahead.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

AndrewV69 wrote:
feathers wrote:
The name's Breivik. And Oslo is a small city if you've killed 77 people, so he'd better emigrate if he is released, which I doubt he will in the foreseeable future.
Eh? Oh I see now. I did not notice. Perhaps in future I may remember the spelling. I really do not understand that corner of the world apart from the stereotypes and even then Norwegians are blank to me. In summary:

Norwegians = ?
Swedes = Crazy
Danes = Arrogant
feathers wrote: I don't know about that particular case, but Norwegian law allows deportation for crimes, and they've deported thousands upon thousands of criminal immigrants for years now.
The immigration quota issue is rampant throughout Europe. Tough titty for Greece, they're the first host and that's where they'll have to stay.
Greece is in a world or hurt, both short and long term. No question in my mind.

Also, my view on multiculturalism is that it is not going to work out too well. Some countries will do better than others, but in the end it is going to be painful for all who try it.

Interesting times ahead.
Norwegians == suicidal.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

feathers wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:WPPIAHFCUWNPRBAAIMJAP
Don't forget 'Average Sized Caucasian'.
And the fans from Korea to Finland or whatever it was he dreamed up. That would make the proper acronym WPPIAHFCUWNPRBAAIMJAPASCFFKTF

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

I think I'm doxxing Steersman...
The WeConsent app is available for £3.20 and is the creation of former Wall Street banker turned philosophy professor Michael Lissick. It uses an Apple iPhone’s video camera to make a 20-second recording of both partners agreeing to sex.
Mr Lissick, 57, said: ‘The videos are twice encrypted and can only be accessed by law enforcement, by a written judge’s order or as part on an ongoing sexual investigation by a college.’
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... l-facebook
But Jasmin Enriquez, 23, who was date-raped as a student at Pennsylvania State University, branded sex contracts ‘pure evil’, saying: ‘They are nothing more than stunts and money-generating schemes which distract from the real issue which is education. We need to educate students of both sexes. Informed consent is an ongoing, shifting process which cannot be encapsulated in a contract. A contract fails to safeguard a woman who might change her mind after signing it.’

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Scented Nectar wrote:
d4m10n wrote:
Really? wrote:What do all of you think? Courtroom or blog?
I don't think it is a remotely difficult question, given that the number of innocents in prison (and even on death row) is greater than zero.
If you don't think it's a difficult question, then what's your easy answer?
Blog, obviously.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

AndrewV69 wrote: Also, my view on multiculturalism is that it is not going to work out too well. Some countries will do better than others, but in the end it is going to be painful for all who try it.

Interesting times ahead.
I think you are about 10 years off the beat here Andrew. The fact that multiculturalism has failed miserably has been evident for at least that long. It's only now becoming politically acceptable to say so. Let's hope we don't have too far a swing in the other direction, because the 'race realists' are hypercunts.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

From the Telegraph:

(Translated from the Norwegian by Kerri Pierce. © 2015 by Karl Ove Knausgaard)

Inside the warped mind of Anders Breivik
Murder is against human nature, but in extreme cases this can be overcome if the community to which one belongs enjoins or encourages it. The events that are now occurring in Iraq and Syria, the brutal murders committed by Islamic State, cannot be ascribed to people having suddenly become evil but, rather, to the disintegration of the mechanisms that in a civilized society typically prevent people from engaging in rape and murder. A culture of war and murder has arisen. It happened in Rwanda and in the Balkans. It is one of the possibilities human beings contain within themselves. However, it is so distant from what most of us experience that we cannot begin to identify with it. They burn prisoners in cages. The ruthlessness and the indifference to life that these actions suggest are unfathomable.
Murder is against human nature? You have to be joking with me. I change my mind. If Norgewians as a whole believe this then they are just as crazy as the Swedes.

feathers

Post by feathers »

AndrewV69 wrote:Norwegians = ?
Swedes = Crazy
Danes = Arrogant
"Us" Danes consider the the Nordmenn rather pious, there being a larger percentage of believers than in Sweden or Denmark- I don't know about Finland, I suppose it must be low.

Swedes are considered overly PC, but as long as they hop over the Sound to visit our pubs and booze market, they're welcome.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

jimthepleb wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote: Also, my view on multiculturalism is that it is not going to work out too well. Some countries will do better than others, but in the end it is going to be painful for all who try it.

Interesting times ahead.
I think you are about 10 years off the beat here Andrew. The fact that multiculturalism has failed miserably has been evident for at least that long. It's only now becoming politically acceptable to say so. Let's hope we don't have too far a swing in the other direction, because the 'race realists' are hypercunts.
Eh? I guess you are right in that I have not been paying too much attention. But if I had been consulted I could have told them it was not going to work once you got sufficient numbers.

And it was not as if there were not sufficient examples of why it was not going to work either. Even within largely homogeneous populations with relatively small differences it generally does not work out too well once you have the numbers.

Add some economic stress and you have a bloodbath.

People educated beyond their capacity to effectively utilize it are going to do some really stupid things (mutter mutter curse, swear) because they have been educated to believe some really stupid things.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

feathers wrote:
Swedes = Crazy
Danes = Arrogant
"Us" Danes consider the the Nordmenn rather pious, there being a larger percentage of believers than in Sweden or Denmark- I don't know about Finland, I suppose it must be low.

Swedes are considered overly PC, but as long as they hop over the Sound to visit our pubs and booze market, they're welcome.
Ha! I noticed you did not effectively disagree with the Danes = arrogant business.

(Full disclosure : I am related to some arrogant Danes :lol: )

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

some guy

Post by some guy »

d4m10n wrote:
Really? wrote:What do all of you think? Courtroom or blog?
d4m10n wrote:I don't think it is a remotely difficult question, given that the number of innocents in prison (and even on death row) is greater than zero.
Scented Nectar wrote:If you don't think it's a difficult question, then what's your easy answer?
Blog, obviously.
dear muslima

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

d4m10n wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
d4m10n wrote:I don't think it is a remotely difficult question, given that the number of innocents in prison (and even on death row) is greater than zero.
If you don't think it's a difficult question, then what's your easy answer?
Blog, obviously.
It's not obvious to me. Do you mean you prefer blogs or that blogs are the worse way? I hope you're saying the latter.

feathers

Post by feathers »

AndrewV69 wrote:
feathers wrote:
Swedes = Crazy
Danes = Arrogant

Ha! I noticed you did not effectively disagree with the Danes = arrogant business.

(Full disclosure : I am related to some arrogant Danes :lol: )
I'm a Dutchman imported in .dk, hence the quotes around "us". But yes, wessen Brot ich esse, dessen Lied ich singe.

feathers

Post by feathers »

...wessen Bier ich drinke, I meant of course. Let's keep the singing for later m'kay.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Trinke. One of the problems of living in DK is that, whatever German you used to speak, it all soon gets danified.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

jimthepleb wrote:

Interesting times ahead.
I think that there is an alternative that could work better than multiculturalism and "race realism": gradual cultural assimilation and the gradual dissolution of identities.

Tension between different ethnic group are due to different social and ethical approaches. Compromises where people born in different minority cultures gradually accept the dominant culture of a society while retaining some aspects of their ancestry create more homogenous societies, where tensions are lower. If those societies are democratic, liberal and secular ones, where human rights and egalitarianism are given prominence and where the state is neutral towards religion, gradual assimilation is a net good for everyone, minorities and the majority alike.

The young tend to assimilate better than older people. The Western-democratic-free market based culture is attractive, because it promises entertainment, less strict social and sexual mores, and material goods. Democracy, secularism, egalitarianism and liberal values should be promoted, because they generally increase compromises and assimilation.

The SJWs are one of the obstacles to the spread of secularism, egalitarianism, liberal values and ultimately even democracy and secularism.

The roots of the social problems caused by the SJWs is their promotion of identity policies and of multiculturalism. Identity policies go against egalitarianism because they create exceptions and excuses for groups perceived as "oppressed". The relentless search for easy outrage and "microaggressions" increases the tensions between different "identities".

Multiculturalism also gives too much leeway for people not to accept the cardinal values of democracy, liberalism and egalitarianism in the name of "cultural traditions".

Culture is no excuse. If the culture of minority goes against democracy, egalitarianism and liberalism, that culture needs to change.

In the specific case of Islam SJWs and leftists in general have given way too much of a leeway to Muslims because of their "culture". Mockery of Islam has been decried as "racist", free speech has been curtailed by ill-defined, poorly written "hate speech laws" and by political correctness, and in the UK the Arbitration Act of 1996 even allows muslim to resort in some cases to sharia courts, which violates the cardinal liberal principle of equal laws for everyone.

Muslims deserve the same right of every other citizen, but also have the same limits to those rights as every other citizen. When they violate the law they should be severely punished, and if they commit treason against the countries they're citizens (or guests) of by aiding terrorists which advocate an authoritarian, illiberal,unequal regime, they should be punished accordingly, and therefore lose their citizenship or be expelled.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

feathers wrote:Trinke. One of the problems of living in DK is that, whatever German you used to speak, it all soon gets danified.
Danes are like Frisians, friendly-polite, a bit reserved and distanced, usually. It seems people seem to be similar across borders in the same region. You think they are bored to death, while they believe its the best party they've ever been. I thought half of the Dutch are like this too, according to this theory, from the northern parts, Groningen et cetera. The other half are obnoxious, loud, heavy-drinking party people, Rotterdam style, still reserved and slightly less polite, but more “hearty” than their north-eastern neighbours when not in larger groups. This maps well, too, since they also border Germany's Nordrhein-Westfalen (particarily the “Der Pott” dereived from Ruhrpott, i.e. Valley of the Ruhr-River) , which is associated with this kind of mentality, too. Stereotypes, of course. :)

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Dr. Richard Carrier PhD.- So when I came out as polyamorous in February, the godless Slymepit blew a gasketpissed itself laughing.
FTFY

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

feathers wrote:Trinke. One of the problems of living in DK is that, whatever German you used to speak, it all soon gets danified.
Trinke? You mean having shots of aquavit with breakfast is not the norm?

(true story ... I stayed with them for a few days and that is how they started the day. Well the glasses were these tiny things 1/4 the size of a normal shot glass and aquavit was served for breakfast lunch and dinner)

I was impressed.

Post by Guest »

Scented Nectar wrote: It's not obvious to me. Do you mean you prefer blogs or that blogs are the worse way? I hope you're saying the latter.
Damion is saying that if he were to be falsely accused of rape, he would rather the false accusation come from pea-brained bloggers such as PZ Myers, rather than the justice system. He would rather run the risk of having his reputation ruined by bloggers than have his hemorrhoids rearranged by his cellmate because the court system failed and wrongfully convicted him.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Guest wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote: It's not obvious to me. Do you mean you prefer blogs or that blogs are the worse way? I hope you're saying the latter.
Damion is saying that if he were to be falsely accused of rape, he would rather the false accusation come from pea-brained bloggers such as PZ Myers, rather than the justice system. He would rather run the risk of having his reputation ruined by bloggers than have his hemorrhoids rearranged by his cellmate because the court system failed and wrongfully convicted him.
But there's a big difference between Pharyngula and a court: the latter is governed by rules and requires evidence to support a claim.

Post by Guest »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Dr. Richard Carrier PhD.- So when I came out as polyamorous in February, the godless Slymepit blew a gasketpissed itself laughing.
FTFY
Exactly. Not a blown gasket to be found here - only the laughter of a crowd appreciating the unintentional comedy emanating from a man who unsuccessfully tried to sell his mid-life crisis of cheating on his wife and subsequent divorce as "polyamory". What is amazing is that so many people in FtB-land bought his obvious pack of lies.

Hey Horde, news flash! Any guy who serially cheats on his wife, loses his marriage, and tries to fuck every piece of ass he can - going as far as to abuse his authority as a conference speaker in order to bed attendees, beg for pussy on his blog and publicly fantasize about coming on women's faces - isn't "polyamorous" - he's the personification of the Neanderthal dudebro woman objectifier that you guys have been railing against for years now. Why aren't you all busy shunning him or running him out of town? Fucking tribal hypocrites.

katamari Damassi

Lsuoma wrote:BTW, here is the alt text for the image at the top of the article.
alt="Photo Dr. Carrier took of his bottle and glass of wine at the airport. Venue menu on the table reads Carlolina Vintages. Bottle label reads Restless Soul Red Table Wine, from Old North State Winery. Label depicts drawing of a rising skeleton's arm lifting up a glass of wine."
Holy fuck, the guy make Narcissus look like a cutter...
I only have 3 guiding principles when it comes to choosing a wine.
1) If you paid more than $20US for a bottle, then you're a chump.
2) No cutesy or pompous names.
3) No pictures of animals on the labels.

I know the last two seem weird, but it's what experience has taught me.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Guest wrote:
Ok, that makes sense. I couldn't remember the wording of the original question, so I was confused by his answer.

katamari Damassi

Aneris wrote:
Danes are like Frisians, friendly-polite, a bit reserved and distanced, usually. It seems people seem to be similar across borders in the same region. You think they are bored to death, while they believe its the best party they've ever been. I thought half of the Dutch are like this too, according to this theory, from the northern parts, Groningen et cetera. The other half are obnoxious, loud, heavy-drinking party people, Rotterdam style, still reserved and slightly less polite, but more “hearty” than their north-eastern neighbours when not in larger groups. This maps well, too, since they also border Germany's Nordrhein-Westfalen (particarily the “Der Pott” dereived from Ruhrpott, i.e. Valley of the Ruhr-River) , which is associated with this kind of mentality, too. Stereotypes, of course. :)
What about Geats? I heard they rip your arm out of your socket if you don't let them win.

Post by Guest »

Really? wrote:
Guest wrote:
But there's a big difference between Pharyngula and a court: the latter is governed by rules and requires evidence to support a claim.
You'll have to take that up with Damion, he's the one that would rather have PZ Myers smear him than take his chances in court.

katamari Damassi

Guest wrote:
You'll have to take that up with Damion, he's the one that would rather have PZ Myers smear him than take his chances in court.
I'd rather have PZ smear me than Dr. Richard Carrier PhD.

:rimshot:

feathers

Post by feathers »

Aneris wrote:Danes are like Frisians, friendly-polite, a bit reserved and distanced, usually.
There are also some remarkable parallels in their languages (Frisk being the only recognised language in nl besides Nederlands).
It seems people seem to be similar across borders in the same region. You think they are bored to death, while they believe its the best party they've ever been. I thought half of the Dutch are like this too, according to this theory, from the northern parts, Groningen et cetera. The other half are obnoxious, loud, heavy-drinking party people, Rotterdam style, still reserved and slightly less polite, but more “hearty” than their north-eastern neighbours when not in larger groups. This maps well, too, since they also border Germany's Nordrhein-Westfalen (particarily the “Der Pott” dereived from Ruhrpott, i.e. Valley of the Ruhr-River) , which is associated with this kind of mentality, too. Stereotypes, of course. :)
The reserved-polite faction in the Netherlands are mostly the Calvinists, north of the Rijn-Waal-Maas line, but outside the Randstad (Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague, Utrecht), which are the loud-mouthed brethren you speak of. The third large group are the Catholics, south of the great rivers and up to the Belgian border. The catlicks have always been a much looser bunch than many of the Calvinists, despite some typically catholic taboos (e.g. divorce and contraception, nowadays no longer an issue of course). It's in the south we celebrate carnaval like you Jerries.

Also, Brabant province is the only Dutch place where Trappist beer is brewed, so we can't really be boring.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Guest wrote:

When invited to dine at Dr. Richard Carrier PhD's house, one should at all costs avoid the potato salad.

feathers

Post by feathers »

AndrewV69 wrote:Trinke? You mean having shots of aquavit with breakfast is not the norm?

(true story ... I stayed with them for a few days and that is how they started the day. Well the glasses were these tiny things 1/4 the size of a normal shot glass and aquavit was served for breakfast lunch and dinner)

I was impressed.
Akvavit? Traitors and barbarians! Gammeldansk it must be.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ldansk.jpg

wtf is that palm tree doing there? Freezing to death?

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Guest wrote:You'll have to take that up with Damion, he's the one that would rather have PZ Myers smear him than take his chances in court.
Seems to be a case of comparing worst case scenarios without any regard for the actual probability of those outcomes.

feathers

Post by feathers »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:
Guest wrote:

When invited to dine at Dr. Richard Carrier PhD's house, one should at all costs avoid the potato word salad.
Slightly fixed.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

It's a testament to Dicky's ego that he believes much of the Pit is affronted by his peccadilos. Truth is, it's just fuckin hilarious, as illustrated by his latest comment on his latest post, where he

A: Brags yet again about the amount of poon he's getting, this time off poly mothers.

B: Kinda goes...full sci-fi.
Richard Carrier says

July 19, 2015 at 11:57 am

Even monogamous people are under-producing now. So adding poly probably makes little difference. And I know and date a lot of poly mothers. So it’s not a zero product system.

In fact, we actually need to reduce the population. Earth sustainability is better in the hundreds of millions, not billions. The economic effects would be a difficult transition period of a lopsided aging population, but with increased focus on robotics and automation to compensate, we could manage that. And the output state after that transition would be a vast improvement of sustainable population, which at that level we could maintain by incentivizing child raising (such as state subsidies for full time parenting by persons who meet state qualifications).

Ultimately, of course, children in the sense you mean will be obsolete. Eventually we will just be printing out babies on 3D printers.
Poor sod. I just haven't the heart to tell him that Avengers: Age of Ultron was not based on fact, and that The Vision is actually a comic book character. :lol:

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Elfwick Family Album

[youtube]yWoeao7T4CY[/youtube]

SM12

Post by SM12 »

Guest wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:
FTFY
Exactly. Not a blown gasket to be found here - only the laughter of a crowd appreciating the unintentional comedy emanating from a man who unsuccessfully tried to sell his mid-life crisis of cheating on his wife and subsequent divorce as "polyamory". What is amazing is that so many people in FtB-land bought his obvious pack of lies.

Hey Horde, news flash! Any guy who serially cheats on his wife, loses his marriage, and tries to fuck every piece of ass he can - going as far as to abuse his authority as a conference speaker in order to bed attendees, beg for pussy on his blog and publicly fantasize about coming on women's faces - isn't "polyamorous" - he's the personification of the Neanderthal dudebro woman objectifier that you guys have been railing against for years now. Why aren't you all busy shunning him or running him out of town? Fucking tribal hypocrites.
Correct, right , 100% true and absolutely justified in every detail.

They should rename conferences - Carrier's Candy Shops.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

katamari Damassi wrote: What about Geats? I heard they rip your arm out of your socket if you don't let them win.
Only if you muck up their mead hall.

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

Aneris wrote:
I used to live in Flensburg (occupied Schleswig-Holstein) and I was always very interested in watching the dynamic of the Germans and Danes - I am neither. I have no real insight into the character of either group - identity politics - but there is a similar dynamic between USAsians and Canukistanians; a pretty typical dynamic when any larger, more powerful group lives side by side a smaller one.

This, of course, creates a lovely breeding ground for Identarianismâ„¢, because any majority - by definition - will be the majority culture, language, politics, beliefs, etc. Minority beliefs won't be adapted en masse by the majority at large simply because there is little/no need to do so, which in turn is often interpreted as oppression by the non-majority.

It may be some sort of benign ambivalence, but that is (IMHO) far from oppression.

TL/DR; it's all a big (racist, sexist, homophobic, video) game and you should be ashamed of yourself.

P.S. TL/DR - Any American non-Canadian citizen of the world denizen of the deep who doesn't know that Stephen Harper is the (asshole) Prime Minister pf Canada is oppressing me.

Really?

Post by Really? »

SM12 wrote:
Guest wrote:

Correct, right , 100% true and absolutely justified in every detail.

They should rename conferences - Carrier's Candy Shops.
When Carrier attends a convention, he has the same thoughts as a kid opening up a pack of baseball cards....

http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/files ... -panel.jpg

"Need it. Need it. Got it. Gonna trade it. I want to be a yank-ee. Ex-wife didn't know I got it. Got it. Need another one."

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Tigzy wrote:It's a testament to Dicky's ego that he believes much of the Pit is affronted by his peccadilos. Truth is, it's just fuckin hilarious, as illustrated by his latest comment on his latest post, where he

A: Brags yet again about the amount of poon he's getting, this time off poly mothers.

B: Kinda goes...full sci-fi.
Richard Carrier says

July 19, 2015 at 11:57 am

Even monogamous people are under-producing now. So adding poly probably makes little difference. And I know and date a lot of poly mothers. So it’s not a zero product system.

In fact, we actually need to reduce the population. Earth sustainability is better in the hundreds of millions, not billions. The economic effects would be a difficult transition period of a lopsided aging population, but with increased focus on robotics and automation to compensate, we could manage that. And the output state after that transition would be a vast improvement of sustainable population, which at that level we could maintain by incentivizing child raising (such as state subsidies for full time parenting by persons who meet state qualifications).

Ultimately, of course, children in the sense you mean will be obsolete. Eventually we will just be printing out babies on 3D printers.
Poor sod. I just haven't the heart to tell him that Avengers: Age of Ultron was not based on fact, and that The Vision is actually a comic book character. :lol:
As someone who has read a lot, probably most, of what he's written, I should jump to his defense here. He's the sort that enjoys talking long term, as in long, long, long term speculation. I'm sympathetic to this being a bit of a futurist geek myself. That we'd eventually get the point of 3D printing humans seems inevitable to me, if (and this is a big if) the machines don't supplant us first. Either way, we're talking hundreds of years into the future.

Part of his problem is not realizing what an autistic fucking nerd he is, and that normal people don't communicate that way. The other part of his problem is being a tribalistic egotistic cunt, obviously.

acathode

Post by acathode »

Norwegians = Atheist Ned Flanders.... with loads of money.
Swedes = Tumblr IRL
Danes = Arrogant Living the good life - beer, tobacco (or pot), and sex. There's a reason they are the happiest people on the planet. (If it just wasn't for the sad excuse of a language they have... :( )
Finns = Silent, solitary, stern, cold, hard... until you get to know them.

Really?

Post by Really? »

jet_lagg wrote:
As someone who has read a lot, probably most, of what he's written, I should jump to his defense here. He's the sort that enjoys talking long term, as in long, long, long term speculation. I'm sympathetic to this being a bit of a futurist geek myself. That we'd eventually get the point of 3D printing humans seems inevitable to me, if (and this is a big if) the machines don't supplant us first. Either way, we're talking hundreds of years into the future.

Part of his problem is not realizing what an autistic fucking nerd he is, and that normal people don't communicate that way. The other part of his problem is being a tribalistic egotistic cunt, obviously.
Look at him break it down for us. Look how far he's gone to convince us and himself that there's something magical about his desire to get laid.
Also, you may be over restricting in your mind how poly works. You can have a deep high-time bond with a primary partner, while having sex with friends, just as you play board games or go bowling with them. You can be mono with a poly partner. You can have a deep bond with two people in a live-in triad. And so on. So really, it’s only couples who both aren’t that interested in extracurricular sex, or who just haven’t found a good third for a triad, who would prefer actual monogamy.
Isn't the whole point of being "poly" is that you can get laid without looking for a "good third for a triad?" Too complicated.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Wait...did Dick just accuse Randi?
Richard Carrier says
July 19, 2015 at 11:45 am
Oh, yes, of course. I was telling a joke, based on popular tropes. The joke doesn’t work if you obscure it with technical details.
But yes, absolutely, you are correct on the details. And well worth footnoting as you have.
(Except maybe with regard to pedophilia or at least pederasty scandals within atheism—and I assume you mean organized atheism, as obviously there must be atheist pedophiles, just as a statistical inevitability. Just Google James Randi and young boys and make your own judgment call.)

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

As someone who has read a lot, probably most, of what he's written, I should jump to his defense here. He's the sort that enjoys talking long term, as in long, long, long term speculation.
Yeah, but that's the problem. Look again at what Dicky wrote. There's no 'might' or 'possibly' there. He's not speculating about those 3D-printed babies at all, but offering his faith-based position as an inevitable fact.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Really? wrote:Wait...did Dick just accuse Randi?
Richard Carrier says
Oh, yes, of course. I was telling a joke, based on popular tropes. The joke doesn’t work if you obscure it with technical details.
But yes, absolutely, you are correct on the details. And well worth footnoting as you have.
(Except maybe with regard to pedophilia or at least pederasty scandals within atheism—and I assume you mean organized atheism, as obviously there must be atheist pedophiles, just as a statistical inevitability. Just Google James Randi and young boys and make your own judgment call.)
Page archived...just in case...

http://web.archive.org/web/201507192018 ... hives/7700

search keywords: Carrier. Randi. Silly sod.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Richard Carrier says
I'm not sure. I am sure that he is pointing out the fact that Randi likes young men (that is a fact) in a negative manner and that's just more of the it's okay when we do it shit.

SM12

Post by SM12 »

Tigzy wrote:
Richard Carrier says
Page archived...just in case...

http://web.archive.org/web/201507192018 ... hives/7700

search keywords: Carrier. Randi. Silly sod.
Make your own judgment call?

In other words, Carrier's judgment is not as good as mine.