Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Old subthreads
Service Dog

Re: Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Post by Service Dog »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Men have oppressed women because women are, at least on the average, physically weaker than men and until a few centuries ago physical strength was a source of power hard to counter in meaningful ways.
But if women were physically stronger than men... they'd be the ones oppressing white, hetero, cis males, unless society kept a careful balance of powers to minimize oppression.
Service Dog wrote:Have men actually oppressed women? Throughout history, didn't men actually put women on a privileged pedestal, due to their reproductive role?

Women were exempt from combat, exempt from the most deadly professions, exempt from the death penalty for crimes, from self-sacrifice, chivalry, exempt from directly earning their own keep.
James Caruthers wrote: Yes and yes.

Yes they were oppressed.

Yes they were kept sheltered from many dangers.

You have to be ignorant of archeology, anthropology and history to honestly argue that there has not been an historical pattern of patriarchal societies (meaning patrilineal societies where women are treated as property of their husbands and fathers) since around the time agricultural revolutions allowed for societies to remain in one place and for populations to expand rapidly.

A group of people can be sheltered from dangers in many ways while also being oppressed in other ways. Marital rape or violence, for example, not being considered crimes because the woman was property of her husband.

You would never argue that fundamentalist Islam (or Judaism for that matter) is not sexist against women. Well, the state that exists within fundamentalist Islam regarding women is similar to that which historically existed in many societies. In those Islamic societies, the women are not on the front lines in combat (usually.) But they are still oppressed.
Kirbmarc's contention was "physical strength was a source of power hard to counter in meaningful ways".

I suppose those physically-large male brutes never slept, so their wives never had any opportunity to slit their sleeping throats.

And I suppose those bygone women were stupider than female apes, who are crafty-enough to topple an unwanted Alpha male by luring him into a succession of title-defenses against lesser males, until-- exhausted from too many challenges-- the strongman is beaten.

I would argue that fundamentalist Islam or Judaism (or the Bad Old Days-in general) was--historically-- sexist against everyone rather than "sexist against women"... as-opposed to how US plantation slavery was "racist against blacks", not against "everyone".

To argue that women were/are uniquely oppressed is to argue-- as feminism does-- that only women need be liberated, because men are sitting-pretty.

That isn't true-- and it has led to feminism being the wrong answer to real problems.

When women were "property of their husband or father", men weren't free... men were property of overlords and oppressive social orders. In some ways, this is more true than ever today... right here in the USA.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Guest wrote:So one name that seems absent is Cainaji's. Where has Cainaji been on this?
She took some peyote 34 hours ago in the tradition of her ancestors and is trying to drink some water out of an oak tree.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

So a real woman can being anyone, even a big ol bearded macho man. While a real man can be just about any male as long as they are not too macho.

I don't know who is getting the shitter deal here.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Service Dog wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
Men have oppressed women because women are, at least on the average, physically weaker than men and until a few centuries ago physical strength was a source of power hard to counter in meaningful ways.
But if women were physically stronger than men... they'd be the ones oppressing white, hetero, cis males, unless society kept a careful balance of powers to minimize oppression.
Service Dog wrote:Have men actually oppressed women? Throughout history, didn't men actually put women on a privileged pedestal, due to their reproductive role?

Women were exempt from combat, exempt from the most deadly professions, exempt from the death penalty for crimes, from self-sacrifice, chivalry, exempt from directly earning their own keep.
James Caruthers wrote: Yes and yes.

Yes they were oppressed.

Yes they were kept sheltered from many dangers.

You have to be ignorant of archeology, anthropology and history to honestly argue that there has not been an historical pattern of patriarchal societies (meaning patrilineal societies where women are treated as property of their husbands and fathers) since around the time agricultural revolutions allowed for societies to remain in one place and for populations to expand rapidly.

A group of people can be sheltered from dangers in many ways while also being oppressed in other ways. Marital rape or violence, for example, not being considered crimes because the woman was property of her husband.

You would never argue that fundamentalist Islam (or Judaism for that matter) is not sexist against women. Well, the state that exists within fundamentalist Islam regarding women is similar to that which historically existed in many societies. In those Islamic societies, the women are not on the front lines in combat (usually.) But they are still oppressed.
Kirbmarc's contention was "physical strength was a source of power hard to counter in meaningful ways".

I suppose those physically-large male brutes never slept, so their wives never had any opportunity to slit their sleeping throats.

And I suppose those bygone women were stupider than female apes, who are crafty-enough to topple an unwanted Alpha male by luring him into a succession of title-defenses against lesser males, until-- exhausted from too many challenges-- the strongman is beaten.

I would argue that fundamentalist Islam or Judaism (or the Bad Old Days-in general) was--historically-- sexist against everyone rather than "sexist against women"... as-opposed to how US plantation slavery was "racist against blacks", not against "everyone".

To argue that women were/are uniquely oppressed is to argue-- as feminism does-- that only women need be liberated, because men are sitting-pretty.

That isn't true-- and it has led to feminism being the wrong answer to real problems.

When women were "property of their husband or father", men weren't free... men were property of overlords and oppressive social orders. In some ways, this is more true than ever today... right here in the USA.
[youtube]xrgovSZ32Yg[/youtube]

This is one way of looking at it.

Really?

Post by Really? »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:

PERFECT.

They just don't realize how deep people with no better way to spend their days (and disability/college checks) can take this shit. These people can mine right to the earth's core, while you're left scrabbling on a sandpile with a plastic shovel.
Oh NOW they decide to understand that every kind of person has done terrible things to all other kinds of people throughout history.

"Scalping" isn't anti-Native American.
sambarge says
July 28, 2015 at 5:57 pm
“
Offensive to Native Americans, you see.
The earliest recorded instances of scalping was attributed to the Scythians (modern day Iranians) by Herodotus, a full 2000 yrs before first contact with the new world. It is not an American aboriginal tradition. And, while it is a common misconception that aboriginal peoples committed acts of scalping, it was a practice more prevalent among European settlers.
In Europe, be-heading your dead enemies was preferred by scalping was taken up in the New World for ease of transportation of the trophies.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Thanks.

I notice though that the Melby on Jadehawk's FB page is [REDACTED] who seems to be other than the M.A.Melby on Sinmantyx. However, the former seems to have claimed to have written several posts and comments on Sinmantyx that were purported to be from the latter. You know anything about that?

And I also note from the same FB page that Catherine Xanthë is not too impressed with my supposedly transphobic comments on one of HJ's posts at Sinmantyx.

LSUOMA: On the basis of very trivial searching his constitutes doxxing in my book. Steersbot is gone.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

deLurch wrote:We need to start a bracket system for SJW fights in the Atheist/Skeptic sphere.
How do they win? By winning or by being martyred?

http://i.imgur.com/jePWViN.png

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Parody Accountant wrote:37 guests. Hi horde!
They are just looking for a new home. I nice little endless thread.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

deLurch wrote:
They are just looking for a new home. I nice little endless thread.
It's 47 guest now.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

We have spared no effort to make you all feel at home!
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=446

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Really? wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
I kept waiting for somebody to object to Ophelia comparing Oolon to a scalp-collecting Redskin...

until I switched-to waiting for someone to object to Ophelia saying she didn't know Zinna's lover "from Adam".

Really?

Post by Really? »

From the Acrimonious Divorce thread:
Erica says
July 28, 2015 at 5:25 pm
I just hope, wherever you go, it doesn’t have these horrible, intrusive, spammy pop up and redirect ads. I’m almost to the point of quitting FtB because of it.
Ophelia Benson says
July 28, 2015 at 5:32 pm
I know, I HATE the ads. Getting away from them will be fabulous.
http://media2.giphy.com/media/6iWLxCrCWJ572/giphy.gif
Thomas1967 says
July 28, 2015 at 6:51 pm
That’s right Lousy Jason, you are a shithead. You are being a terrible ally right now.
Women don’t need a man to tell them who is or isn’t a feminist, TERF or otherwise.
Heina is on notice for possibly not being a good feminist, but she seemed to clarify a bit above. I’ll leave that judgement to the reader.
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view6/462377 ... hing-o.gif
PatrickG says
July 28, 2015 at 7:03 pm
@Thomas1967:
I must say it’s amazing how many ardent supporters of Ophelia Benson have never actually commented at this site before, at least to the knowledge of Google, but are just so suddenly supportive when given an opportunity to badmouth FTB and FTB bloggers. Pro-tip: that’s easily spotted ‘pitter behavior.
If you’re not actually one, you might want to stop sounding exactly like one.
Thomas1967 says
July 28, 2015 at 7:44 pm
Great now I’m a slime pitter just because I’m an ardent supporter of Ophelia Benson? I comment at other FtB blogs using this name, though I am new (relatively). Pretty sure I’ve commented here before too, no idea why google didn’t catch it (if you actually googled) Asshole.
No wonder Ophelia is leaving.
That wasn’t the mended drum, it was a containment zone for feral animals.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... 2401f6.jpg

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Hey horde folks, If you want to use our endless thread since yours just died, I doubt anyone will mind. Just don't expect any trigger warnings, and try to put on your thinking caps when you write argumentative comments. People might laugh at you or ignore you otherwise.

Oh, and have some lynx!

https://mcgowansdefiningandrefining.fil ... 890315.jpg

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Old_ones wrote:Hey horde folks, If you want to use our endless thread since yours just died, I doubt anyone will mind. Just don't expect any trigger warnings, and try to put on your thinking caps when you write argumentative comments. People might laugh at you or ignore you otherwise.

Oh, and have some lynx!
And bring up steersman is just bad form. Yes we already know.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Really? wrote:From the Acrimonious Divorce thread:
<snip>
Thomas1967 says
July 28, 2015 at 7:44 pm
Great now I’m a slime pitter just because I’m an ardent supporter of Ophelia Benson? I comment at other FtB blogs using this name, though I am new (relatively). Pretty sure I’ve commented here before too, no idea why google didn’t catch it (if you actually googled) Asshole.
No wonder Ophelia is leaving.
[.img]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... 2401f6.jpg[/img]
:lol: That - "the mended drum, it was a containment zone for feral animals" - somehow deserves to be incorporated into the next masthead phrase for the Pit.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Old_ones wrote:Hey horde folks, If you want to use our endless thread since yours just died, I doubt anyone will mind. Just don't expect any trigger warnings, and try to put on your thinking caps when you write argumentative comments. People might laugh at you or ignore you otherwise.

Oh, and have some lynx!

Hey! You goddamn insensitive lout! You've just objectified a woman. That was awful, just awful. Next there will be Jenneke stuff, and maybe even worse. I would really hate to see that happen to these hordelings. They are very sensitive snowflakes, and some of them can't. even. uhhg.. So let's have some respect.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

See!?!

Post by Guest »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Best line of the day on the Pit and it comes from somebody at FTB. Work harder people.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Guest was me. That's why I was asked a question before I could post. I must work harder at posting.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

MacGruberKnows wrote:Guest was me. That's why I was asked a question before I could post. I must work harder at posting.

All 48 of them?

In a roll?

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:

Oh, and have some lynx!

Hey! You goddamn insensitive lout! You've just objectified a woman. That was awful, just awful. Next there will be Jenneke stuff, and maybe even worse. I would really hate to see that happen to these hordelings. They are very sensitive snowflakes, and some of them can't. even. uhhg.. So let's have some respect.
I apologize, I started it with the Zinnia Jones sexy pose.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Old_ones wrote:Oh, and have some lynx!

Hey! You goddamn insensitive lout! You've just objectified a woman.
Actually, you're the insensitive asshole, Captain, because that person identifies as a man.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Oh, and have some lynx!

Woman?! Did you even ask for xir pronouns? This disappearing of trans people will not stand!

All I was suggesting was that the hordelings might want to clean up after a hard day at freethoughtblogs...

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

I'm sad that I can't locate a prophetic image I posted here, years ago, showing Spider-man alongside Francis Bacon, with the caption "Prosopagnosia".

Because what's up with Rebecca Watson complaining about whether Spider-man's face is white or black, if she can't tell the difference.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Billie from Ockham wrote:

Actually, you're the insensitive asshole, Captain, because that person identifies as a man.
Are you trying to Benson me? 'cause I am so out of here if you are.

I am leaving. Really. I hope you're happy.

Nearly gone now. You sorry yet?

No?

:bjarte:

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

deLurch wrote:So, what are the bets on when Ophelia will actually leave FTB?
1 day?
2. days?
A week?
1 year from now?

She saying that she is leaving for a while now. I just don't see the action. Maybe if someone created a final goodbye notice for her, she could copy and paste it in and finally be done.
2 weeks. That's about as long as anyone can put up with her "you done me wrong" antics. Then they'll kick her out and ban her :lol:

Really?

Post by Really? »

Billie from Ockham wrote:

TIL I'm sexually attracted to blond men in bikinis.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

July 28, 2015, the day PZ told everyone to get off his lawn so he can work on a car he loved in high school.

Midlife crisis can be rough.

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

Keep me rolling... It's been a funny few days

blitzem

Post by blitzem »

MacGruberKnows wrote:http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/ ... _Jones.jpg

How about the horde accuse FTB blogger Zinnia Jones of making FTB look like idiots when it comes to hiring bloggers?
Is it trying to catch flies, or just fly(ing) balls?

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

136,000 hits don't lie.

http://imgur.com/Ia3OIeU.png

You know who'd say that? Oolon :lol:

This guy has to be a ringer.

HoneyWagon

Post by HoneyWagon »

Ape+lust wrote:136,000 hits don't lie.

What a load of bollocks.
Any idiot can see we were hoping the horde would go after conference lothario Dr. Carrier.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Don't worry. Holms shows up to give us all a cup of shut the fuck up.
Holms says
July 28, 2015 at 6:26 pm
“
#15 Ian Staines
Ophelia, I know my comments are in moderation but I don’t care. I just wanted you to know that I have found solid evidence of the cause of this shitstorm. It is the SlymePit. Most notably Oolon.
Google “Oolon Slymepit” and 136,000 results appear along with comments he’s frequently made there.
Just wanted you to know where this is all coming from. Thanks.
Oolon was certainly hard at work at the rumour-mill, and the slymepit is certinaly cackling with glee at all this, but my impression is that they actually loathe one another, what with their comical outrage at at his blockbot thingo.
Cut it out with your comical outrage at the blockbot thingo, dickweeds.

CaptainFluffyBunny

I am now comically outraged.

blitzem

Post by blitzem »

I am just outraged that Oolon won't give reach-arounds along with his comical rumour-milling.

CaptainFluffyBunny

conan-o-brien-is-outraged-o.gif
(901.44 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
Oolon!

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Steersman wrote: Maybe she is graceless, and maybe PZ will have second thoughts. But while I think she's a bit of a twat for any number of reasons - which I will be happy to discourse on in depth if not in tsunamis of text - I would say she periodically has a point or two in her favour, as in this issue of transgenderism. So I hope she sticks to her guns.
I suspect a chill ran down the spines of some when they read that :lol:

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

We're certainly wracked by emotions. I is confused now. :think:

Should I be cackling with glee or comically outraged?

Or heartily :lol: at this train wreck?

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

blitzem

Post by blitzem »

In other news, the Hillary changed it's hair again. No-one noticed.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Billie from Ockham wrote:http://i.imgur.com/xhUdBm7.jpg

It's hard to tell, what with the subject sitting down and not much below the head showing, but that strikes me as the best female dwarf cosplayer that I've ever seen. It not all big-breasted women in Spandex, you know. The only thing controversial is the strong statement on the "do female dwarves have beards?" question, but this person is entitled to an opinion on that, as both Tolkien and the Wizards of the Coast have left the issue open.
Oh FFS are you trying to tell me that female Dorfs do not have beards? I thought the question was settled ages ago. Why does everyone not know the truth by now?

x_?_x

Post by x_?_x »

Should I feel any guilt for the glee this whole debacle fills me with?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

What is hysterical is that they do not seem to be able to work out if Oolon was a deep cover Slymepitter or not.

LMAO.

CaptainFluffyBunny

We should probably have a contest to find Oolon's new name as he transitions to womanhood. He's clearly not very imaginative, so we should help him. My vote is for "Cuntzilla."

CaptainFluffyBunny

x_?_x wrote:

Should I feel any guilt for the glee this whole debacle fills me with?
I feel glee, but this also feels strangely like a wrap party...

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

https://twitter.com/OpheliaBenson/statu ... 1181985792

I would not wish on her the treatment she's getting, but the irony is palpable, given the treatment she's dished out to people like Jaclyn Glenn and these dudes at her FTB blog. (Oh, but they are or were "important & dangerous enough to spend all this time on"?)

From the latter link (with phrase in brackets added by me):
CuntajusRationality wrote:Number of posts {at FTB B&W} by keyword:
  • Richard Dawkins: 257
  • Charlie Hebdo: 228
  • Michael Nugent: 69
  • Tim Hunt: 65
  • Matt Taylor: 22

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Maybe Jeffrey Imm isn't a SJW, and I really hope he's a troll, but he's protesting The Producers because it makes fun of Hitler.

Straight from the horse's mouth:
But according to Imm, Brooks—a Jewish World War II veteran and certified EGOT winner—has been flouting the declaration for the last 14 years. “I think he’s ignoring the Universal Declaration of Human Rights,” he says. “I know about his comedy. I don’t agree with him. I think it’s vulgar.”
I really, really hope he's a troll. Or an attention whore who's only doing it to get fame.

If he's actually convinced of what he says he's the biggest moron I've ever heard for.

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Steersman wrote: Maybe she is graceless, and maybe PZ will have second thoughts. But while I think she's a bit of a twat for any number of reasons - which I will be happy to discourse on in depth if not in tsunamis of text - I would say she periodically has a point or two in her favour, as in this issue of transgenderism. So I hope she sticks to her guns.
I suspect a chill ran down the spines of some when they read that :lol:
If you look closely at Steers' avatar, you can just make out Fukashima in the background... :whistle:

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

Skep tickle wrote:[tweet.][/tweet][url.][/url]

I would not wish on her the treatment she's getting, but the irony is palpable, given the treatment she's dished out to people like Jaclyn Glenn and these dudes at her FTB blog. (Oh, but they are or were "important & dangerous enough to spend all this time on"?)

From the latter link (with phrase in brackets added by me):
CuntajusRationality wrote:Number of posts {at FTB B&W} by keyword:
  • Richard Dawkins: 257
  • Charlie Hebdo: 228
  • Michael Nugent: 69
  • Tim Hunt: 65
  • Matt Taylor: 22

Sixty-five posts about Tim Hunt? Most of them apologies?

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Oof. This makes it a little clearer why this one stung:

http://imgur.com/zpv8chW.png

Yeah, horrendous is over the top. Typical Ophelia. But Heina is grandstanding on the misfortune of her sponsor. Typical Skepchick.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Ape+lust wrote:Oof. This makes it a little clearer why this one stung:

Yeah, horrendous is over the top. Typical Ophelia. But Heina is grandstanding on the misfortune of her sponsor. Typical Skepchick.
Heina is an uppity minority who bites the hand that fed her. Ophelia's a racist! :lol:

(Note for Jadehawk and HJ Hornbeck: this is satire.)

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:Oof. This makes it a little clearer why this one stung:

Heina is an uppity minority who bites the hand that fed her. Ophelia's a racist! :lol:

(Note for Jadehawk and HJ Hornbeck: this is satire.)
Bites the hand? Fat shamer :shock:

(Note for J and HJ: go fuck yourselves)

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Gosh, it's like the last 2 1/2 years never happened. Oolon is back to being a squalid little annoyance in FtB Land :lol:

Suitable for framing:

http://imgur.com/qLtZY11.png

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Betty Lou Thelma Liz The Hillbilly wrote:Ev'rybody's inna good mood cos lil' P.Z. Myers is havin' a bad day. Betty Lou Thelma Liz gonna put a record onna turn table

[youtube]watch?v=x8WM90VuOcA[/youtube]
There's a certain Pitizen who can give you a thorough class in posting YouTube vids.

I just can't remember their name right now...
Me too. I've forgotten who it is, although it feels like their name is on the tip of my tongue. Oh well, maybe they'll see this and post the tutorial again.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Seems I've worn out my welcome over at Sinmantyx as my latest comment, in response to this one from HJ, gets a "Sorry, this comment could not be posted". So, in the interests of posterity:
Steersman wrote:HJ:
I handled that one over a year and a half ago.
What you did was a big swing and a miss – strike one. That snails and hamlets (fish) happen to be hermaphrodites says diddly squat about the rather brute fact that some 49% of humans happen to be sperm producers and the possessors of an X-Y karyotype (most of which are labeled “males”), and that another 49% of humans happen to be egg producers and the possessors of an X-X karyotype (most of which are labeled “females”).
Oooo, nice play. If I point out you just said trans* women are men, you’ll just leap on the “one might argue” phrase. If I don’t, you can say you did argue it and that I had no response.
You may wish to reflect on an aphorism from Aristotle: It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought [an idea] without accepting it. And in that specific case with Caitlyn Jenner, the thought or idea or hypothesis to entertain is that IF one accepts the socially constructed definition of “male” (1) as an individual “that produces sperm” – whether actually or potentially (babies) or previously (eunuchs (2)) - THEN one is obliged to accept the argument that, regardless of the stage of Jenner’s transitioning, they are still a male. And if one doesn’t accept that defintion then one is obliged to offer an alternative and to provide justifications for it, and to consider the consequences.
This isn’t the first time you’ve suggested trans* women are men, though.
So what? You and many other trans activists have been rather dogmatically insisting, with diddly squat in the way of tangible and credible evidence, that “trans women are women”. Why should every one else be obliged to accept that definition? Bloody arrogant if you ask me. Maybe there are cases that might justify that assertion and maybe there aren’t. But you might note that even Giliell has enough sense and equanimity to concede that “thinking about gender and what makes one a woman isn’t inherently transphobic”.
I wonder if the SlymePit will obsess over your blatant transphobia as much as they have Benson’s more subtle form…… nah, you’re one of their Brave Heroes.
Seems that charge of transphobia, as Giliell suggests, is a rather specious one, and one that depends on the truth of what is little more than an article of faith. As for being a “Brave Hero”, I’m close to the top of the list of those who are ignored (a feature of the forum software) there so that seems a bit of a stretch. And at least part of the reason for that is because I have defended many in the FTB/Skepchick crowd – both bloggers & commenters – from Benson to you (though I was probably somewhat wrong to do so) to Jadehawk to PZ to Sally Strange to Watson to Zvan.

----
1) “_https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Male”;
2) “_https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eunuch”;
In related news, what probably precipitated that banning was this previous comment of mine in response to a post by Melby herself that she was none too pleased to see. People sure do get rather sensitive when their articles of faith are challenged ....

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Billie from Ockham wrote:I just realized how incredible racist was my Post #5885 and I beg forgiveness from everyone. Please do not hate me (too much). When I wrote "It not all big-breasted women in Spandex, you know," I not only omitted the verb from the sentence, but I also omitted a critical adjective. How I could do this in the middle of a huge debate over whether the adjective trans* is akin to the adjective faux is beyond me. I must be an idiot.

I should have written "It's not all big-breasted human women in Spandex, you know."
You're erasing the lived experience of big-breasted otherkin women in Spandex, you insensitive bigot!

http://www.strangehistory.net/blog/wp-c ... /udder.jpg

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Ape+lust wrote:
paddybrown wrote:My take on the latest shennanigans at Fat Head Blogs:

http://s15.postimg.org/c21kg4zm3/Franke ... yngula.jpg

(based on this 1893 cartoon by Irish political cartoonist Thomas Fitzpatrick.
This is wonderful :clap: :clap:

Poor Ophelia, she's a drunkard now? It really isn't her day, is it? :lol:
I put her face, for no particular reason, on the body of a victim of the monster that Frankenstein unleashed and can't control. There he is, all high and mighty, trying to tell the monster what to do, but the monster doesn't care.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

paddybrown wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:
paddybrown wrote:My take on the latest shennanigans at Fat Head Blogs:

http://s15.postimg.org/c21kg4zm3/Franke ... yngula.jpg

(based on this 1893 cartoon by Irish political cartoonist Thomas Fitzpatrick.
This is wonderful :clap: :clap:

Poor Ophelia, she's a drunkard now? It really isn't her day, is it? :lol:
I put her face, for no particular reason, on the body of a victim of the monster that Frankenstein unleashed and can't control. There he is, all high and mighty, trying to tell the monster what to do, but the monster doesn't care.
I second the compliments to your artwork. :clap:

What makes it funnier is that oolon does look a bit like he's the product of some illicit experiment, especially in that picture. A ponytail doesn't really suit him.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Guest wrote:So what's the story with that photo? Was is some Miley Cyrus thing?
Just common, run of the mill, autogynephilia.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: That is one way to look at it. You could always look at it from another angle and say that the world was a brutal place and that women were vulnerable and needed the protection of men. A women flirting with danger had the potential to involve men in potentially fatal conflict and therefore exchanged some freedom for security. Men were not as free as often supposed, being held accountable for the material welfare of their wives. I believe that for most of human history there has been a balance between men and women involving trade offs. The advent of religious patriarchal beliefs led to some periods of inequity and there was a short period with the advent of industrialisation where patriarchal attitudes persisted after the conditions that necessitated them had disappeared.
My take on it is that societies, at base, keep women safe for reproductive reasons and have men take physical risks because they're bigger and stronger and more expendable reproductively. As a result, women's freedom is restricted, and men's lives are worth less, but they have the opportunity to win status if they do the dangerous stuff particularly well. As societies become more complex and prosperous, the male role becomes less dangerous, and it becomes acceptable for women to do a lot of things that were formerly restricted to men.

But following these basic rules leads to some perverse consequences. For example, you start off giving high status to men who take physical risks for the good of the community. These high status men dominate the other men and make them take more and more of the physical risks. You end up with societies where the highest status men are political leaders, landowners and businessmen who face no physical risks at all, and soldiers, whose job is to face physical risk for the good of the community, have low status.

Meanwhile, protecting women so they can have babies leads to society strictly controlling sexual access to women, which means limiting their freedom and severely punishing those who go off the reservation. So in the name of keeping women safe, parents murder their daughters for having the wrong boyfriends, or break their feet in the hope that this will make them sexually acceptable to a high status male who is best placed to protect them.

Humans are animals, and the way we act and form societies is not rational.