Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Old subthreads
feathers

Re: Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Post by feathers »

Lsuoma wrote:Australia may limit Vegemite sales because it's being used to make moonshine.
Vegemite started as a war-time substitute for Marmite, and is now something of an Australian culinary icon, says the BBC's Jon Donnison in Sydney.
Mental note: don't go to Oistrilia for the cuisine.

BTW if the vegemite is used for the brewer's yeast only, there are easy ways to obtain it pure and grow a culture from then on.

Charles MacGruder

Post by Charles MacGruder »

Hausu was a lot of fun.

Slightly odd though, if I remember it right.

surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

James Caruthers wrote:
I searched for gay people killed in my area for being gay and immediately found a mother who beat her son to death fearing he was gay
No one is denying that homophobia exists in America as that would just be nonsensical. However the fundamental difference between first world and third world countries is that the former do not openly allow homophobic acts to be committed in public because their gays are not protected under law so have zero rights as citizens of such nations. In Uganda one can be beaten by homophobic mobs if they are gay. In Jamaica one can be hacked to death with machetes. In Iran and Saudi Arabia one can be executed by hanging. In Iran even minors are executed for being gay. In America those things would just not happen with such frequency or openness for they are illegal as gays are protected by law. Go ask any who you know of if they would take a free holiday with their partners in any of those countries I have just mentioned and then come back and tell me what they said. But I think we both know what the answer would be
And by the way when I say first world countries am specifically referring to West Europe and North America only because East Europe
is very homophobic. Especially in Russia which has homophobic legislation on the statute book which was actually passed unanimously
Now if I was gay I would take America over any of those other countries any day. And yes gays do get murdered there too as you have
already referenced but such acts are not openly committed in full public view with the backing of the state. And I think that many or
even most Americans would have the balls to step in when they see someone being harassed for being gay. That is more than be said
unfortunately for the citizens of the other countries I have mentioned

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

Charles MacGruder wrote:Hausu was a lot of fun.

Slightly odd though, if I remember it right.
It's more than slightly odd - it's like a Japanese Beetlejuice on acid.

jjbinx007

Post by jjbinx007 »

Question time with Oafie:

http://www.normangeras.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... chive.html
What would be your main blogging advice to a novice blogger? > The same as US Congressman Barney Frank's advice to his colleagues: be interesting or shut up.

Who are your intellectual heroes? > Christopher Hitchens, William Hazlitt, Montaigne.

Can you name a major moral, political or intellectual issue on which you've ever changed your mind? > There are lots. But maybe the clearest is identity politics. I used to have a lot of sympathy; now I think it's both obscurantist and dangerous.

What would be your most important piece of advice about life? > Pay attention.

What do you consider the most important personal quality? > Consideration.

What personal fault do you most dislike? > Rudeness.

What do you like doing in your spare time? > Reading, talking, walking, watching sunsets, teasing.

If you had to change your first name, what would you change it to? > Cordelia.
:think:

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Brive1987 wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:I was just scanning FTB to see if there was any mention of Ophelia leaving. She has a few new posts on her old B&W site by now so it seems she has really gone from FTB. There isn't a single post by a fellow FTB-er saying goodbye or good luck with her future in the way that Brayton received thanks when he abruptly upped and left.
I wonder if this tells us anything about what was going on behind the scenes over the past while.
Ophelia does have a few friends on FTB (I thought) - Taslima, Maryam Namazie, for example. Even Peezus should have said something about her moving - and yet nothing!

Anyway, during my scanning I came across (not in a Richard Carrier way) the following example of the IOKWWDI rule being applied on Lousy Rapist's blog.

He wrote about the movie Deadpool that is in production. I'm not a comic geek so I didn't know who Deadpool was - apparently some wisecracking, ultra-violent superhero.
It also seems like Deadpool is not exactly politically correct!
Someone even comments that he describes one of his enemies as a "shiny metal cock gobbler"

Clearly such a disgusting homophobic (probably transphobic and misogynistic too!) character will just reinforce the entrenched views of the privileged patriarchy and must be avoided.

Right?

Lousy?
But here’s the thing. This is not for kids, it is super violent, and it is probably going to be problematic as all hell. I know I’m still going to love it though. (It’s okay to enjoy problematic things as long as you recognize them as such.)
It's okay to enjoy problematic things as long as you recognize them as such? :think:
It's clear that Benson is currently an FtB litmus test for taint - as Peez is discovering. No one with any awareness would come within flea jumping distance until she has supplicated in an approved fashion.

Her leaving FtB was a poignant neon lit "fuck you" - a definitive underscore of her heresy. The closest I've seen anyone come to witnessing is SZvan with her (paraphrased) "now that she's left I can put the boot in".

On the one hand Benson's thrashing reminded me of 'alien caught in an air lock'

On the other she almost played her cards right - no backwards step, no apology, no quarter given. She knows the Malleus Maleficarum backwards (having written much of it herself). She knows the drill.

Where she came unstuck was launching uncoordinated tactical assaults which opened wedges of opportunity.

All she needed to do was write an index of her pro trans work (which I assume exists somewhere) keep directing people there (particularly the Melby and Jadehawk cabal) and implicitly challenge her detractors to breach her reputation and established canon. That and secure some rapid public support from a couple of female bloggers to offset Oolon. Otherwise shut up and keep writing. There is always a new witch to burn if you wait long enough.

But no. The silly cow couldn't help herself, she had to descend to the petty, lost her gravitas and promptly got torn apart. Kind of like Noah in front of Glenn (Walking Dead ref) I can imagine Peez's horrified face as her blood flowed before him.
These people are bullies, though. They are helpless when they are on the receiving end. Ophie's mistake (and Peezus too) was to fall back to intellectual appeals. Versus a mob this is fatal. They only respect force.

You'd never see Zvan or Becky make that mistake. They are not sophisticated or academically disciplined like Benson, but possess far more animal cunning.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

SkepticalCat wrote:
Bourne Skeptic wrote:
What do you see here?
https://thatcricketblog.files.wordpress ... .gif?w=529

I think the resemblance to Maxfield Parrish's pastry chefs is quite obvious:

http://imagecache6.allposters.com/LRG/2 ... XZD00Z.jpg
They CERTAINLY have the spoonz!

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

This is....Well. Watch it for yourself.
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... ders-rally
Protesters hijack a senators speech, demanding they hand the microphone over, all the while shouting "don't you dare silence us" and "Don't you dare tell me what to do".

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

The bit where they literally jump up and down, screaming in the blokes face "WE ARE REASONABLE" was like something from a very shitty Monty Python sketch.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Tony Parsehole wrote:This is....Well. Watch it for yourself.
Protesters hijack a senators speech, demanding they hand the microphone over, all the while shouting "don't you dare silence us" and "Don't you dare tell me what to do".
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/imag ... uwou1F0MXY

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Service Dog wrote:tee-hee.
[youtube]LefCz-bG9bQ[/youtube]
It's very satisfying to see Laurie Penny getting ragdolled and I suppose that's why this clip has been posted on here every ten minutes for the last three years, but I wonder if the posters realise what a huge gaping cunt David Starkey is. I've seen him described as a hero and suchlike because of his treatment of Penny, but I probably loathe him even more than I do that silly cow. And that's saying something.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

It is the very best thing. They're showing the whole world exactly how batshit crazy they are. The worst SJWs are the sneaky, reasonable-sounding ones.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Aneris wrote:I think the error was a sloppy wording on my part (transgender dysphoria). To make it more precise yet cumbersome: “the thing” that makes some people feel a disconnect with gender and sex as commonly seen in society is interpreted by one faction as a treatable condition, “gender disphoria” or “gender identity disorder” (the terms are also under discussion). The other faction says that “the thing” is simply one way humans are, and who don't want it to be pathologized. I don't have an opinion on who is right, and since I have nothing to do with the area, it is of no consequence. I go (and went) with what the individual wants. TERFs by contrast are seen as transphobic, they aren't just one of these factions and this is where Ophelia Benson's joking and hanging out in a certain group comes into play, as far as I understood it.
The changing of the label (and the moving of the "disorder" from one axis to another in the DSM) is very important. What is seen as treatable by the first group is not the feeling that the client has the wrong body (or the wrong brain for their body); that is no longer a delusion, according to the APA, and the supposed parallel with homosexuality was a major arguing point. What is now seen as treatable is the unhappiness (dysphoria) that the felt mismatch causes.* Thus, neither of your two groups sees the felt mismatch as a problem, so you have erased the third position, which included a relatively large number of psychologists who just happened to lose an argument when the DSM was revised.

* nb. let the APA's position soak in for a minute. Thinking that your body and mind come from two different sexes is not a delusion, so any attempt to treat the client's dysphoria cannot involve telling the client anything different from that. Plus, a great deal of the client's dysphoria comes from social anxiety, but, again, the therapist can't suggest changes to the client's behavior to decrease the odds of facing social sanctions because that's some weird form of blaming the victim and would undermine the client's (non-delusional) feeling of mismatch. And the APA asks for more money to study all this because the odds of a client being "cured" of their dysphoria remains so low.

German StrutBoatsman

Post by German StrutBoatsman »

surreptitious57 wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:
I searched for gay people killed in my area for being gay and immediately found a mother who beat her son to death fearing he was gay
No one is denying that homophobia exists in America as that would just be nonsensical. However the fundamental difference between first world and third world countries is that the former do not openly allow homophobic acts to be committed in public because their gays are not protected under law so have zero rights as citizens of such nations. In Uganda one can be beaten by homophobic mobs if they are gay. In Jamaica one can be hacked to death with machetes. In Iran and Saudi Arabia one can be executed by hanging. In Iran even minors are executed for being gay. In America those things would just not happen with such frequency or openness for they are illegal as gays are protected by law. Go ask any who you know of if they would take a free holiday with their partners in any of those countries I have just mentioned and then come back and tell me what they said. But I think we both know what the answer would be
And by the way when I say first world countries am specifically referring to West Europe and North America only because East Europe
is very homophobic. Especially in Russia which has homophobic legislation on the statute book which was actually passed unanimously
Now if I was gay I would take America over any of those other countries any day. And yes gays do get murdered there too as you have
already referenced but such acts are not openly committed in full public view with the backing of the state. And I think that many or
even most Americans would have the balls to step in when they see someone being harassed for being gay. That is more than be said
unfortunately for the citizens of the other countries I have mentioned
Has anyone here ever denied that the gay rights are way worse in non-western, specifically in Muslim countries? I just don't remember the Pit being particularly soft on those countries or playing the don't-critizise-the-brown-people card. So what's even your point?

feathers

Post by feathers »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
It is the very best thing. They're showing the whole world exactly how batshit crazy they are. The worst SJWs are the sneaky, reasonable-sounding ones.
Meanwhile destroying what respect the bla... colo... community-of-colour had.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Lousy Canuck wrote:
But here’s the thing. This is not for kids, it is super violent, and it is probably going to be problematic as all hell. I know I’m still going to love it though. (It’s okay to enjoy problematic things as long as you recognize them as such.)
Dick Strawkins wrote: It's okay to enjoy problematic things as long as you recognize them as such? :think:
Lousy is not going to get in trouble with SJWs for Deadpool... because "it's ok to like problematic things" is an official SJW mantra, an exemption spell to cast away sin.

http://i.imgur.com/nYEVYqA.png

http://www.ydnarr.com/uploads/1/7/5/5/1 ... 62.jpg?695

German StrutBoatsman

Post by German StrutBoatsman »

My head was already hurting from the video, then I had a look at the comments...
Some Asshole wrote:Adolf Hitler was financed by Zionist Jews and the early part of the 20th Century was a civil war between different Jewish Sects where the more ruthless Talmudic Jews like Soros killed of the more passive Synagogues where the Rabbi taught the Ten Commandments as the basis of Judaism. Sanders relatives were in the later group and were killed in concentration camps.

The Bolsheviks Khazar Jews and Askenazi ran SS did it, to stop the Good Jews from standing in the way of them implementing Protocols that would help them control the worlds Banks, Governments, Media, Military's and Gold supply. They also used the holocaust to build sympathy for stealing the Nation of Palestine from the indigenous Semitics population and creating a race based Khazar suprematist homeland by displacement of the Palestinians.

The Talmudic Jews who ran NAZI Germany and the USSR were victorious and killed Tens of Millions of Anglos and then blamed the holocaust on them using their control of the media to do it.
And this is not a lonely commenter being nuts on his own. What kind of news site is that?

Are you alright over there? Do we have to start to get worried?

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

I just checked with the APA's governing board and was told that, while thinking that your mind and body are "mismatched" is not a delusion, thinking that homo- and trans-sexuals are at anything close to the same level of risk in the US as elsewhere is a delusion and that anyone espousing this view should, at a minimum, have their medicine cabinet confiscated.

Cunt of Personality

Post by Cunt of Personality »

German StrutBoatsman wrote:
My head was already hurting from the video, then I had a look at the comments...
Some Asshole wrote:Adolf Hitler was financed by Zionist Jews and the early part of the 20th Century was a civil war between different Jewish Sects where the more ruthless Talmudic Jews like Soros killed of the more passive Synagogues where the Rabbi taught the Ten Commandments as the basis of Judaism. Sanders relatives were in the later group and were killed in concentration camps.

The Bolsheviks Khazar Jews and Askenazi ran SS did it, to stop the Good Jews from standing in the way of them implementing Protocols that would help them control the worlds Banks, Governments, Media, Military's and Gold supply. They also used the holocaust to build sympathy for stealing the Nation of Palestine from the indigenous Semitics population and creating a race based Khazar suprematist homeland by displacement of the Palestinians.

The Talmudic Jews who ran NAZI Germany and the USSR were victorious and killed Tens of Millions of Anglos and then blamed the holocaust on them using their control of the media to do it.
And this is not a lonely commenter being nuts on his own. What kind of news site is that?

[youtube]ke0S77m32N4[/youtube]

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Tony Parsehole wrote:The bit where they literally jump up and down, screaming in the blokes face "WE ARE REASONABLE" was like something from a very shitty Monty Python sketch.
I was wondering the other day if you'd be as funny if we existed in a sane world. Not to take away from your talent, which you know I'm impressed by, but this shit literally writes itself sometimes.

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

http://freethoughtblogs.com/lousycanuck ... t-are-you/

Loser Cuck's comment section:
Improbable Joe wrote: August 9, 2015 at 12:18 am CDT
I actually score “chaotic neutral” which is fair considering that I was trained to be a killer but didn’t respect most of my superiors.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHA

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronom ... ience.html
Phil Plait wrote:Amram is continuing that tradition: She has a new Web series called “Experimenting With Megan Amram,” which just started up on Amy Poehler’s Smart Girls YouTube channel. The premier episode is up, and I really enjoyed it.

I laughed a lot watching this; Amram skates perfectly on the line between parodying terrible and fatuous women’s talk shows and actually presenting good science info in a positive and funny way. And she does all this while also supporting women in STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math). That’s quite a balancing act.
"terrible and fatuous women's talk shows"? That sounds... sexist.

Tsk tsk.

It's a good thing nobody actually read this post, or Plait might have to apologize again!

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

German StrutBoatsman wrote:

*smug giggle*
You dispute that Hitler was a Jewish pawn? I bet you think the homosexuals aren't responsible for chemtrails too!?
Hah! It would be funny if it wasn't so sad. Open your eyes, sheeple!

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Parody Accountant wrote:http://freethoughtblogs.com/lousycanuck ... t-are-you/

I actually score “chaotic neutral” which is fair considering that I was trained to be a killer but didn’t respect most of my superiors.
Oh, my word.
I feel like Cartman when he saw something so funny he lost the ability to laugh at anything else.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

I don't think I've ever seen a quiz more desperately in need of a 'none of the above' option.

I gave up after four questions.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

That's....improbable, Joe.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

These people deserve Trump as President.

It's a shame they'll drag the rest of the country down with them.

SM12

Post by SM12 »

feathers wrote:
Parody Accountant wrote:Lot's of post-op transgender MTF's are purchasing menstrual inserts. It's a non-surgical and sterile solution. It's the synthetic false blood that they use in movies, loaded onto a modified tampon inside an applicator. Look, these women want more than just a 'pussy' or a 'dickhole'. They want a working vagina. These have a 50% adoption rate in many communities.
And then they run the London marathon without a tampon, right?
After they've shaved their armpits and eyebrows.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

bhoytony wrote:
It's very satisfying to see Laurie Penny getting ragdolled and I suppose that's why this clip has been posted on here every ten minutes for the last three years, but I wonder if the posters realise what a huge gaping cunt David Starkey is. I've seen him described as a hero and suchlike because of his treatment of Penny, but I probably loathe him even more than I do that silly cow. And that's saying something.
But that's what makes it so fucking great. For all her talk of what a bold in-yer-face urban guerilla she is, with her legs 'bruised from police baton-charges in Trafalgar Square', when Penny 'Red' actually found herself in a situation with a genuine right-wing loudmouth - who represents all she proclaims to loathe - she could do nothing but crumple and simper. Fucking beautiful.

Parody Accountant

Source: http://www.butterfliesandwheels.org/201 ... s-awkward/

Fresh archive - 8 comments https://archive.is/YooDE

Looks like Ophelia Benson has attracted a few trans / genderqueer commenters.
guest wrote: August 9, 2015 at 9:00 am
I think the only times I really self-identify as a woman are when I’m reminded that I am, and these reminders happen pretty regularly. Here’s a somewhat recent example:

http://fortune.com/2014/08/26/performan ... nder-bias/

Having never experienced other people’s performance reviews, I had no idea until I read this that getting a performance review wasn’t supposed to be all about trashing your personality–I figured it was a thing for people, because I’m a person, but have now been made aware it’s a thing for me because it’s a thing for women and I’m a woman. I wrote an essay on management theory years ago that I only recently realised I could have titled ‘ways in which I thought I had male privilege, because I assumed I was a person and that the theories I was working with applied to people, and then discovered that they only applied to men.’
popcorn intensifies
Anna Lee Kage wrote: August 9, 2015 at 9:49 am
I love that you’re exploring these complex issues here, but I’m worried about the damage it might cause just to have this discussion.

I’ll be honest, I was linked to you by way of Lousy Canuck (who I am new to as well). At first I was upset, but I see that you are really a good person…

Sorry, I’m just so confused about what I am going through.
Maybe Ophelia can win over some more trans allies, and get more ally cookies!

feathers

Post by feathers »

He's killing you!

Parody Accountant

[youtube]Z0DO0XyS8Ko[/youtube]

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

So Improbable Joe, a trained killer yet a maverick who wunt take no sheeit from his superiors, is satisfied that his personality is well reflected by a Dungeons & Dragons character class.

[youtube]epJ2GZ0UWvw[/youtube]

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Shatterface wrote:
These people deserve Trump as President.

It's a shame they'll drag the rest of the country down with them.
Not if the truth about Trump gets out!
[youtube]jinjRYNuVyo[/youtube]

Really?

Post by Really? »

Tigzy wrote:
bhoytony wrote:
But that's what makes it so fucking great. For all her talk of what a bold in-yer-face urban guerilla she is, with her legs 'bruised from police baton-charges in Trafalgar Square', when Penny 'Red' actually found herself in a situation with a genuine right-wing loudmouth - who represents all she proclaims to loathe - she could do nothing but crumple and simper. Fucking beautiful.
I find Penny odious. She's a massive hypocrite. I'm not at all surprised that she's the kind of feminist who can dish it out but can't take it. She reminds me of this woman:

[youtube]Y9fTasi-N6o[/youtube]

She'll smack you in the face and call you names, but if you smack her back, she'll cry and ask "how dare you hit a woman?"

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Penny's dreadful. She wrote a piece on Liberal Conspiracy once about how she'd attended a nearing once and three of the speakers couldn't possibly know what it was like to be poor because they went to Cambridge. She knew they'd gone to Cambridge because she'd been in the same class as them. She didn't seem to realise her own logic worked against her too.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Attended a meeting. Fuck you, autocorrect.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Shatterface wrote:Penny's dreadful. She wrote a piece on Liberal Conspiracy once about how she'd attended a nearing once and three of the speakers couldn't possibly know what it was like to be poor because they went to Cambridge. She knew they'd gone to Cambridge because she'd been in the same class as them. She didn't seem to realise her own logic worked against her too.
ISWYDT.

SM12

Post by SM12 »

Shatterface wrote:Penny's dreadful. She wrote a piece on Liberal Conspiracy once about how she'd attended a nearing once and three of the speakers couldn't possibly know what it was like to be poor because they went to Cambridge. She knew they'd gone to Cambridge because she'd been in the same class as them. She didn't seem to realise her own logic worked against her too.
Apart from the self-refuting logic, there are people who went to Cambridge but were so poor they didn't have an inside toilet until they were 15 - namely , me, for one.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Really? wrote: I find Penny odious. She's a massive hypocrite. I'm not at all surprised that she's the kind of feminist who can dish it out but can't take it. She reminds me of this woman:

[youtube]Y9fTasi-N6o[/youtube]

She'll smack you in the face and call you names, but if you smack her back, she'll cry and ask "how dare you hit a woman?"
I'd never provoke a cop like that, because I think many, if not most, of them are of an untrustworthy, bullying personality type. I'm a low-key, law-abiding individual, and yet none of my interactions with cops in the US, male or female, any ethnicity, have been positive. Quite the opposite. I avoid the authoritarian twats whenever possible. Sometimes I can't avoid them - last night is a good example, when I nearly had an encounter with two cops in a patrol car, leaving my neighborhood after visiting the ex-cop (utter cunt, wish she'd move away) down the street and her sociopathic son.

Running a stop sign and nearly hitting a middle-aged woman (me) walking a Chihuahua is not a service that I care to pay taxes for, Officer Dickbag. Loathe cops, honestly. [/BarnOwl's rant for the day]

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

jjbinx007 wrote:I wonder if Oafie will return to proper blogging like she used to do a decade ago, or will she continue to copy and paste from elsewhere and punctuate it with her own bland comments?
I doubt it. SJWism is a like a lot of venereal diseases. You manage the condition, but can't quite get rid if it.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Tigzy wrote:
bhoytony wrote:
Yes, I get that and I agree with you. I was just pointing out that I've seen commenters all over the place who seem to think that Starkey is some sort of hero and don't know what a shitstain he is.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

BarnOwl wrote:[/BarnOwl's rant for the day]

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

It looks creepy and rapey...it can only be PZ MYERS.

Where do I claim my prize from?

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Tigzy wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:[/BarnOwl's rant for the day]
:lol:

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

[tweet][/tweet]

How many people think that Myers is going to the Quilieute Indian Reservation?

And how many people think that he's going to the Quillayute River Resort?

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

I've often thought that personality testing should be mandatory for any kind of police or military service. I'm not one of those people like the Hordelets who thinks the entire enterprise is crooked, but bad behavior is common enough to be a concern.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Let's try the tweet again. :bjarte:

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Shatterface wrote:Attended a meeting. Fuck you, autocorrect.
"Did you say neating? "
"Mo."

Parody Accountant

Sunder wrote:I've often thought that personality testing should be mandatory for any kind of police or military service. I'm not one of those people like the Hordelets who thinks the entire enterprise is crooked, but bad behavior is common enough to be a concern.
In the US, all military applicants are given a personality test after the ASVAB (math/english + military specialty focuses). It's called TAPAS, and I believe it's 100% across the board, but results only stop candidates who are below a certain ASVAB score (those who barely pass).

There's also AIMS test, a further test that many candidates also 'trigger'. It's a personality test that gauges long-term committment along with other things. It's triggered for all the GED applicants, and other situations.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Tigzy wrote:So Improbable Joe, a trained killer yet a maverick who wunt take no sheeit from his superiors, is satisfied that his personality is well reflected by a Dungeons & Dragons character class.

[youtube]epJ2GZ0UWvw[/youtube]
Careful now. Improbable Joe is a 12th level Social Justice Warrior with a special whining attack, and a neuro-atypical defense bonus to his armor class.

Parody Accountant

Perhaps he's going to the casino

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

BarnOwl wrote:[tweet][/tweet]

How many people think that Myers is going to the Quilieute Indian Reservation?

And how many people think that he's going to the Quillayute River Resort?
A lot of the penny slots have problematic themes, but we now know that you can enjoy problematic things if you acknowledge that they are problematic.

PROBLEMATIC

CaptainFluffyBunny

Billie from Ockham wrote:I just checked with the APA's governing board and was told that, while thinking that your mind and body are "mismatched" is not a delusion, thinking that homo- and trans-sexuals are at anything close to the same level of risk in the US as elsewhere is a delusion and that anyone espousing this view should, at a minimum, have their medicine cabinet confiscated.
What would poor Sally Strange do without her meds? Also, ask them why the fuck they dumped Aspergerg's as a separate diagnosis and just stuck it on the autism dartboard.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Really? wrote:Hey, shitlords. Looks like a proud feminist is dismantling yet another of our prejudices:

https://medium.com/absurdist/going-with ... 19b98713e7
I ran the marathon with 2 women who are very close to me, Ana and Mere. Both of them had done marathons before. I thought we would split up for sure, but by mile 6, they were still with me, right at my side. It was inspiring.

As I ran, I thought to myself about how women and men have both been effectively socialized to pretend periods don’t exist. By establishing a norm of period-shaming, [male-preferring] societies effectively prevent the ability to bond over an experience that 50% of us in the human population share monthly. By making it difficult to speak about, we don’t have language to express pain in the workplace, and we don’t acknowledge differences between women and men that must be recognized and established as acceptable norms. Because it is all kept quiet, women are socialized not to complain or talk about their own bodily functions, since no one can see it happening. And if you can’t see it, it’s probably “not a big deal.” Why is this an important issue? Because THIS is happening, right now.

And so I started bleeding freely.
The woman ran the London Marathon tampon-free while menstruating, blood soaking her shorts. Because of assholes like you.
This winter, I'm gonna let snot run freely out my nose.

CaptainFluffyBunny

BarnOwl wrote: I'd never provoke a cop like that, because I think many, if not most, of them are of an untrustworthy, bullying personality type. I'm a low-key, law-abiding individual, and yet none of my interactions with cops in the US, male or female, any ethnicity, have been positive. Quite the opposite. I avoid the authoritarian twats whenever possible. Sometimes I can't avoid them - last night is a good example, when I nearly had an encounter with two cops in a patrol car, leaving my neighborhood after visiting the ex-cop (utter cunt, wish she'd move away) down the street and her sociopathic son.

Running a stop sign and nearly hitting a middle-aged woman (me) walking a Chihuahua is not a service that I care to pay taxes for, Officer Dickbag. Loathe cops, honestly. [/BarnOwl's rant for the day]
#Notallcops. Seriously, you tend to notice the bad ones. And to be fair, there's more than a few. But there's also some good ones that take their profession seriously. Most are in the vast middle, good or bad entirely dependent on the situation.

The woman was pretty safe hitting the cop. If you're in a group of people and being filmed, cops are going to (usually) show amazing restraint. They want to appear unflappable. Their superiors insist on it, bad press means bad things.

Treat a strange cop like a strange dog, and you'll get good results. Be polite but firm. Do not show fear, do not run away. No sudden moves. Don't be bullied, and have a good grasp of your basic rights. Meet their eye and don't get fazed.

As problematic as cops are, they do manage to keep law and order for the most part. Or we could face Improbable Joe as a brutal gang-leader-warlord.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Bourne Skeptic wrote:
What do you see here?

I see two Atzec kings ritually piercing their tongues while wearing batwing chaps and holding open a massive vagina dentata.

But duh, this one was so obvious.

Slipterid

Post by Slipterid »

Charles MacGruder wrote:OK KIRBMAC DO LGBT PEOPLE HAVE IT AWESOME IN THE WEST YES OR NO

NO CAVEATS - YES OR NO
Hey MacGruder are you okay? I been a wee bitty worried about you

I think questions like this shouldn't be binary. I think *don't know* should be acceptable and not translated as "mysogyny"