Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Old subthreads
screwtape

Re: Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Post by screwtape »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
screwtape wrote:Ignoring the tautology, pleonasm or redundancy for the moment, the correct antonym for polite is 'impolite' - not 'unpolite'.
Excellent! And Welcome! We [pedants] meet on Wednesdays at noon, GMT, in Backchannel #2.*

* note to Steers - I'm just teasing screwtape; the meetings are still Fridays at 2pm, EST, in Backchannel #4; honest and I swear that more people will attend this week
Please don't call me a pedant. I understand mobs of Welshmen will come and lob bricks through my windows when they hear about that. See here.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Pogsurf wrote:You use a lot of words I've never heard of before. Just a nod to the fact that my evidence lay deep within Wikipedia.
That's cool, but please know that I ignore Wikipedia. It's not because I'm some snob who only reads peer-reviewed stuff (although that happens to be true); it's because Wikipedia is exactly peer-reviewed and the peers of all morons are morons.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Pogsurf wrote:
Pogsurf wrote:Without wanting to go all Steersbot on you....
And now we shall argue whether the above is apophasis or mere litotes, yes?
You use a lot of words I've never heard of before. Just a nod to the fact that my evidence lay deep within Wikipedia.
Reminds me of another polite insult:

William Faulkner on Hemingway: “He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to a dictionary.”

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

screwtape wrote:Ignoring the tautology, pleonasm or redundancy for the moment, the correct antonym for polite is 'impolite' - not 'unpolite'.
Excellent! And Welcome! We [pedants] meet on Wednesdays at noon, GMT, in Backchannel #2.*

* note to Steers - I'm just teasing screwtape; the meetings are still Fridays at 2pm, EST, in Backchannel #4; honest and I swear that more people will attend this week
What, the grammar nazi meetings are not held in the Bürgerbräukeller?

http://i.imgur.com/1XOrBJa.jpg

Pogsurf

Post by Pogsurf »

Pogsurf wrote:You use a lot of words I've never heard of before. Just a nod to the fact that my evidence lay deep within Wikipedia.
That's cool, but please know that I ignore Wikipedia. It's not because I'm some snob who only reads peer-reviewed stuff (although that happens to be true); it's because Wikipedia is exactly peer-reviewed and the peers of all morons are morons.
They can't be as bad as all that; I'm banned for instance. The bits I quoted should of course be referenced via source material so I'll go back and see if this is the case. It's the internet for Christ's sake. The evidence for my claims must be out there somewhere.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Ed Brayton closed comments on his good bye thread. The last few comments were rather anti-Slymepit, including this rather ironic one from Raging BS:
Raging Bee says

August 11, 2015 at 1:41 pm

The primary rules are: 1. Do not post anything that could bring legal repercussions against the BBS owner (Lsuoma).

Wow, I didn’t know your standards were as high as those of supermarket tabloids! And we all know how useful and informative tabloids are, don’t we?

And you think such laughably low “standards” are something to brag about? You sound even more pathetic than a kid showing off his brand-new realistic toy gun to a combat veteran. At least the kid means well and has an excuse…
Had PZ stuck to this low standard and not slandered people it would have been one less reason for Brayton to bail. Perhaps Raging was to busy foaming at the mouth to notice that Ed had mentioned that threatened lawsuits were one reason he was leaving?
Too bad Myers couldn't even set laughably low standards. :P

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Peezus's thread on Sanders is hilarious: all the regulars siding with a Christian Tea Party nut just because she's black and Token! The Queer Token educating their white asses.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

More breadcrumbs ...
Attachments
tmp_24734-Screenshot_2015-08-11-14-36-24855008108.jpg
(409.89 KiB) Downloaded 257 times

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Greta Christina wrote:In the wake of Ed Brayton leaving Freethought Blogs for the Patheos Atheist channel, some people are apparently targeting the entire channel as terrible. This is both unnecessary and inaccurate. Yes, there are some jerks at Patheos Atheist. There are also excellent atheist bloggers there. Many of them are serious social justice advocates.
"Some people" ? You mean the 800-pound gorilla (fide Stephanie Zvan), PZ Myers? Too cowardly to mention him by name, are we? Our Greta is one brave SJW.

http://web.archive.org/web/201508111938 ... the-enemy/

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Jan Steen wrote:What, the grammar nazi meetings are not held in the Bürgerbräukeller?

http://i.imgur.com/1XOrBJa.jpg
Oh ... My ... God. I ... Can ... Hardly.

Grammar nazis and pedants are TOTALLY different, in a way that parallels the procedural vs declarative distinction in memory research.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

SM12 wrote:An article from Adam Lee which somehow fails to mention just how much Myers has done for the atheist 'community'

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/daylightat ... community/
It's better than his usual crap, but still too Atheism-plussy for me. I understand that many SJWs blame various things (e.g., homophobia and sexism) on religion, which is how they justify linking atheism with related social-justice work, but - even after granting this assumption - the idea that atheists should spend a lot of time trying to fix these things while the cause remains intact makes little sense to me. Even more, the approach of most SJWs to these issues is awful. To be really useful, Adam Lee and others should be arguing for an evidence-based approach to social ills, preferably starting with a demonstration that they really are the fault of religion ... even if this risks demonstrating that certain tenets of SJWs (e.g., white/male privilege) are unwarranted or flat-out wrong.
But that's settled already, which you'd know if you'd shut up and listened. That bit about risking contradiction is something I've been pondering in the light of Sam Harris's failed attempt at a constructive dialogue with Chomsky. The only conclusion I can come to is that Chomsky and his ilk base their conclusions on feelz covered with a veneer of objectivity. It isn't unreasonable to factor emotion into moral arguments although it would be helpful if that could be admitted. My impression is that Harris attempts to unpack issues down to their core components and follow wherever the logic train leads (sometimes imperfectly). This grates with the likes of Chomsky, Deepak Shetty and a shitload of others who really need their conclusions to be true to maintain the moral separation they see between themselves and "wrong thinkers", but can't directly refute the logic. They get around this by resorting to snarky character attacks. A more reasoned approach opens the door to the notion that they are not morally superior. Most of us are a lot happier if reality is in line with what we find emotionally agreeable and we argue accordingly. I know Harris is by no means perfect, but his apparently open and honest approach that doesn't shy away from the uncomfortable is desperately needed about now.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

So this was on TV this AM (I have the TV on as background noise) and this had me giggling:

Roosh V not welcome in Toronto, Mayor John Tory says
Toronto Mayor John Tory says he doesn't want the "hate speech" of controversial U.S. blogger and author Roosh V in the city, and is urging organizers to cancel the controversial pickup artist's speaking event set for Saturday.

"I am calling on those hosting this tour to do the right thing — cancel this show," Tory tweeted Monday. In another tweet, Tory said "@rooshv and his hate speech have no place in our city and should have no platform here either."
So good luck with that.

Oh, read the whole thing Shitlords! I left out the juicy bits. This is like the GameGate business but nothing like the UVA false rape business or the Saddam Hussain and the WDM business.

If you believe anything represented in the media about anything that is the latest sensation, at this point or even if it is not, you have only yourself to blame.

jjbinx007

Post by jjbinx007 »

Nobody remarked on the Oafish Prune's latest hypocrisy yet?

She retweets Hayleyisaghost on Twitter:
The last tweet leads to a lovely rant about free speech and censorship, except this time it isn't called Freeze Peach. http://hayleyisaghost.co.uk/free-speech-is-bittersweet/

Some quotes:
I am very much of the opinion that if you want free speech then it has to come with no clauses. “I believe in free speech but not for them” just doesn’t cut it but it’s really easy to fall into the trap of justifying the silencing of a particular group or individual because of your personal biases.
At the time of the retweet I didn’t know about the drama in which author Ophelia Benson has been accused of being a TERF (Trans-Exclusionary Radical Feminist.) The retweet was made as a note of observations of an issue I have seen arising for a while now with friends and acquaintances of mine being added to the Blockbot along with racists, misogynists and homophobes for simply having a dissenting point of view, or for asking questions. My use of the phrase “scummy biology” was a nod to the number of times I’ve seen people called “cis scum” for just sharing an opinion.
Not JAQing off, surely?
I don’t know the technical details of the whole Benson situation but I know enough to say that when asked if a trans-woman was a woman she didn’t offer a yes or no answer immediately and has apparently shared links to content that is considered by some to be “Trans-Exclusionary” in nature. Guilt by association, some might posit and I was about to become guilty of the same crime.
Guilt by association, now where have we heard that before?
For some people, just questioning the status-quo makes you an enemy and that isn’t a healthy approach to discourse.
Welcome to the Slymepit.

jjbinx007

Post by jjbinx007 »

The same Ophelia who's now retweeting people arguing for free speech once got banned from a place because she kept emailing the powers that be demanding they block posters:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/inter ... ia-benson/

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

As for Brayton's now closed-for-comments post, it's a pity that the final words come from the lunatic, Raging Bee. The Bee is almost as stupid, and certainly as full of non sequitors, as Nerd of Redhead.

Oh well. It was entertaining while it lasted.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Update on the Elyse situation, a sad situation in which we all genuinely hope she gets the help she clearly needs:

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Anti-GG piece in AJAM :x
The invisible hordes of online feminist bullies
GamerGaters say social justice warriors want to destroy video games. That’s a myth
http://i.imgur.com/TyVYY70.jpg

http://america.aljazeera.com/opinions/2 ... llies.html

Post by Guest »

What's the play/book/movie where a guy is recruited into the cops and is told to attend a meeting of revolutionaries in an undercover capacity to report on it, and eventually rises into leadership of the revolutionaries where he finally learns everyone there is an undercover agent?

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Guest wrote:What's the play/book/movie where a guy is recruited into the cops and is told to attend a meeting of revolutionaries in an undercover capacity to report on it, and eventually rises into leadership of the revolutionaries where he finally learns everyone there is an undercover agent?
The Man Who Was Thursday?

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

Guest wrote:What's the play/book/movie where a guy is recruited into the cops and is told to attend a meeting of revolutionaries in an undercover capacity to report on it, and eventually rises into leadership of the revolutionaries where he finally learns everyone there is an undercover agent?
The Man Who Was Thursday by G.K. Chesterton. One of my all-time favourite books.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

Shatterface wrote:
Kindergarten Cop?

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Richard Dworkins wrote:I have not seen a lot of anime but I was recommended Death Note, which was pretty good and Neon Genesis Evangelion which is ridiculous. The End of Evangelion (which is the title of a movie made which are the last two episodes sort of redone) felt like I was watching someone's attempt to express a nervous breakdown.
You were.

More specifically, you were watching the attempt to rationalize the original expression of nervous breakdown which was the season finale of Evangelion.

It's a shit series imo, but fascinating.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Suet Cardigan wrote:
The Man Who Was Thursday by G.K. Chesterton. One of my all-time favourite books.
Also done amusingly by Tom Sharpe in Indecent Exposure.

James Caruthers

JackSkeptic wrote:

It's funny how all these guest trolls keep passing by.
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/fac ... 66/fea.png

At least make trolls register if they want to troll you.

James Caruthers

Lsuoma wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:
blitzem wrote:
But, hands down, my two favourite series are Baccano! and Durarara!!, both written by the same person. If you want a more exhaustive list, I can provide.
Baccano is excellent. Durarara is hard as fuck to get in physical format in the USA.
No:
$71 is cheap? Also, that looks like UK region to me. Does it run on USA region players?

I think I paid $18 for my Baccano set. About the same for Mushishi. Less for Kino's Journey. Something like $15 for Moribito.

There's a reason I still don't own Bakemonogatari. Shit is too expensive. I just can't justify spending so much on anime when I could pirate it if I really wanted it that badly.

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

Jan Steen wrote:What, the grammar nazi meetings are not held in the Bürgerbräukeller?

[img.]http://i.imgur.com/1XOrBJa.jpg[/img]
Oh ... My ... God. I ... Can ... Hardly.

Grammar nazis and pedants are TOTALLY different, in a way that parallels the procedural vs declarative distinction in memory research.
I had a pedantcure just the other day... I surrounded myself with a lot of bonny wee ones who were busy doing my toenails whilst reading Milton.

:bjarte:

Never coming going there again.

:rimshot:

Is this what you call a taughtology?

:bjarte:

Post by Guest »

Shatterface/Suet Cardigan wrote:
Thanks. I am pretty sure I first learned of it here at the Pit, but I admit to thinking of it again when Cuntajus revealed a few days ago s/he was Mr. Fancy Pants and ... another pitter was Salty ...

I remain convinced Thimbledick is real because no one can fake that stupid so convincingly.

James Caruthers

Really? wrote:
LOOK AT THIS:

https://www.stbaldricks.org/file/get/f/ ... G_0632.JPG

http://render.fineartamerica.com/images ... anders.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1T7juxA.jpg

Now tell me she's never thrown a plate or her cell phone or a flatscreen TV at her husband.
Looking at her gives me this instant urge to become a misogynist and start beating women.

If we can save a few Honeybanders in the process, it will all have been worth it. Beating women down for justice. WifeBeaterMan

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Well, if Ms. Mofo wants to plead insanity, she has a large body of evidence. Her Twitter feed, blog, Facebook and former friends should convince the most skeptical of judges.

James Caruthers

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Tigzy wrote:Elyse seems a bit concerned at the potential consequences for these charges. Strange, cos there's no reason at all to fear prison. After all, most of the non-white women there are all innocent little things who were victims of police racism. And the white women? Why, these peacable little creatures were no doubt jailed for trying to stop themselves from getting raped by evil cishet patriarchal white men. It'll be quite lovely inside, with no filthy men for miles around. The women will conduct themselves along the lines of the pacifist matriarchies of old. They'll synchronise their periods and sing 'We Are Women, We Are Strong' in a circle together, making sure to include the transwomen too, so they don't feel erased.

So really - what's Elyse worrying about?
She won't have access to the internet. In Elyse world that's worse than the electric chair.
Removing her from her Twitter account would be a fate worse than death.

Post by Guest »

Thanks!

Here is the September 5, 1938 Mercury Theatre adaptation of the Man who was Thursday:
sounds.mercurytheatre.info/mercury/380905.mp3

Librivox: audiobook
librivox.org/the-man-who-was-thursday-a-nightmare-by-gk-chesterton/

There is a BBC 7 audiobook available on YT by googling bbc the man ... but I'm never certain as to whether YT audiobooks are legitimately posted on YT or represent copyright infringement so I won't post it here.

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

Suet Cardigan wrote:
I haven't read this one, but I used to love the Father Brown stories (this was when I was in my religious phase). I thought they had wisdom when, in fact, they were just thinly veiled theistic/catholic propaganda.

If you've never read one, the archetypal father brown story goes like this.

1) Father Brown is at a small intimate gathering with some eminent people (who, oddly enough, don't really know him)
2) Some of the above are atheists or eminent scientists/sceptics or followers of eastern religions and they gently mock him for representing superstition when they represent reason and enlightenment or humanistic wisdom.
3) A gruesome murder or death happens, amongst circumstances which are baffling or disturbing in some way which suggests supernatural involvement.
4) The sceptics/atheists/eastern religion fans each theorise as to what might have happened, either explaining the circumstances as supernatural, or some cultish explanation labelled as 'science' even though, in fact, it has nothing to do with science.
5) Father Brown solves the mystery by showing that it wasn't supernatural after all, but rather the work of a clever evil criminal who fooled all the others.

The moral is that we all have to believe 'stuff' - if you believe catholic stuff, then that enables you to see the world as it really is. If you only believe in reason, then, in reality, you are credulous and ready to leap to all kinds of weird and wacky explanations to keep your explanations on track.

Also, all evil comes from the devil. Catholics understand the devil. Therefore catholics are the only ones who understand evil.

It's bollocks and full of holes, but quite entertaining for all that.

N.B. the recent Television thing with Mark Williams was rubbish and left out all the philosophy.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

James Caruthers wrote:
JackSkeptic wrote:

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/fac ... 66/fea.png

I don't know about you, but I am here for the discussion. Who cares if it was a troll topic.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

piginthecity wrote:
Suet Cardigan wrote:
I haven't read this one, but I used to love the Father Brown stories (this was when I was in my religious phase). I thought they had wisdom when, in fact, they were just thinly veiled theistic/catholic propaganda.

If you've never read one, the archetypal father brown story goes like this.

1) Father Brown is at a small intimate gathering with some eminent people (who, oddly enough, don't really know him)
2) Some of the above are atheists or eminent scientists/sceptics or followers of eastern religions and they gently mock him for representing superstition when they represent reason and enlightenment or humanistic wisdom.
3) A gruesome murder or death happens, amongst circumstances which are baffling or disturbing in some way which suggests supernatural involvement.
4) The sceptics/atheists/eastern religion fans each theorise as to what might have happened, either explaining the circumstances as supernatural, or some cultish explanation labelled as 'science' even though, in fact, it has nothing to do with science.
5) Father Brown solves the mystery by showing that it wasn't supernatural after all, but rather the work of a clever evil criminal who fooled all the others.

The moral is that we all have to believe 'stuff' - if you believe catholic stuff, then that enables you to see the world as it really is. If you only believe in reason, then, in reality, you are credulous and ready to leap to all kinds of weird and wacky explanations to keep your explanations on track.

Also, all evil comes from the devil. Catholics understand the devil. Therefore catholics are the only ones who understand evil.

It's bollocks and full of holes, but quite entertaining for all that.

N.B. the recent Television thing with Mark Williams was rubbish and left out all the philosophy.
I'm trying to see how we can get a "Father Myers" thing out of this...

--bill

Post by --bill »

piginthecity wrote:
The TV thing makes it seem that everyone in england is a church-going catholic...

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

--bill wrote:
piginthecity wrote:
The TV thing makes it seem that everyone in england is a church-going catholic...
Fuck off.

;)

Richard Dworkins

Post by Richard Dworkins »

James Caruthers wrote:
Richard Dworkins wrote:I have not seen a lot of anime but I was recommended Death Note, which was pretty good and Neon Genesis Evangelion which is ridiculous. The End of Evangelion (which is the title of a movie made which are the last two episodes sort of redone) felt like I was watching someone's attempt to express a nervous breakdown.
You were.

More specifically, you were watching the attempt to rationalize the original expression of nervous breakdown which was the season finale of Evangelion.

It's a shit series imo, but fascinating.
I suspected you might come along to clarify. Thanks. I thought it was alright, until they introduced the whole Human Instrumentality Project weirdness. The original endings of the series I thought, "hmmm, someone's trying to say something here." However when it was made explicit with Rei/Lilith's purge of the absolute terror fields and a world dying in screams to an uplifting pop song I found it quite potent.

I think that last ten or so minutes of EoE was brutal, tragic and strangely charming and that it was such a high concept rammed into a version of "Battling seizure robots" that it was so odd and effective.

It would be like the end of "Friends" was an episode in which it was revealed that the entire cast were delusions of the Barista at Central Perk and that the whole show was little more than a momentary neurological surge produced by his brain as he hanged himself over the murdered corpse of his mother.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
--bill wrote:
piginthecity wrote:
Fuck off.

;)
Exactly. They are C of E.

KenD

Post by KenD »

I see that Amnesty International voted to support decriminalisation of prostitution.

With all the celebrities and feminist groups campaigning against it, I did wonder if they'd change their minds, or at least water it down, but it looks like they've rejected all those arguments.

[youtube]pJ8xSBaVIXU[/youtube]

Needless to say radical feminists are losing their shit over it. Ophie already has a couple of copy & paste jobs up. How dare Amnesty actually carry out research into the subject and base their recommendations on evidence, rather than accepting feminist dogma.

It's funny seeing radical feminists try to spin this as an MRA policy. I don't think I've seen an actual MRA even comment on this, and not all of them support decriminalising prostitution, but never mind that: Amnesty International must be a bunch of Men's Rights Activists. Of course others are blaming this decision on the lack of women of colour in Amnesty International. Nothing but old white misogynistic men as far as the eye can see...

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Elyse's descent into madness was exacerbated by her choice of "friends" at Skepchick, who all promptly stabbed in her in the cunt.

Heed the COMMANDER's advice - never go near a Skepchick, and always shun them.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

KenD wrote:I see that Amnesty International voted to support decriminalisation of prostitution.

With all the celebrities and feminist groups campaigning against it, I did wonder if they'd change their minds, or at least water it down, but it looks like they've rejected all those arguments.

[youtube]pJ8xSBaVIXU[/youtube]

Needless to say radical feminists are losing their shit over it. Ophie already has a couple of copy & paste jobs up. How dare Amnesty actually carry out research into the subject and base their recommendations on evidence, rather than accepting feminist dogma.

It's funny seeing radical feminists try to spin this as an MRA policy. I don't think I've seen an actual MRA even comment on this, and not all of them support decriminalising prostitution, but never mind that: Amnesty International must be a bunch of Men's Rights Activists. Of course others are blaming this decision on the lack of women of colour in Amnesty International. Nothing but old white misogynistic men as far as the eye can see...
And as we all know, sex workers are only women born women.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

KenD wrote:
I never knew Simon Templar worked for Amnesty (and was a woman).

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

bhoytony wrote:
KenD wrote:
I never knew Simon Templar worked for Amnesty (and was a woman).
THIS IS THE VOICE OF THE MYSTERONS..

Xenu

Post by Xenu »

PZ's post has alerted me to the presence of NEW Kent Hovind videos!
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... vind-up-to

All his videos have <1000 views so far.

Takes me back to the days when I enjoyed reading Pharyngula...

Xenu

Post by Xenu »

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Brony explains the SJ take on humour:
Here is how I deconstruct a joke. (I hope this makes sense because it took three drafts for me to explain how I see jokes).
1)Identify* the context of the transformation is taking place (“This is like…” = equivalence). Emotions can be changed from negative to positive, positive to negative, and the intensity can be changed.
*It is very useful (very very useful)) to turn everything into either technical or casual terminology as needed as long as you are being accurate. You will see that some of these parts of the joke have to be unpacked twice to get at what they mean.
2) Identify what is being transformed (“This…” = “Trans/Non Binary Caucus objecting to drag performances”).
3) Identify how the transformation is taking place via objects and subjects that modify what is being transformed (blackface, Rachel Dolezal objecting to blackface). Identifying the literal and non-literal elements can be very important here.
4)Identify the relevant emotions being transformed, the people the emotions are coming from and the objects and subjects to which they are attached and transformed, and how the emotional connections to the objects and subjects are being transformed. Note that everything is technically an object and a big part of the problem is treating people like objects alone (empathy/sympathy is when you rule certain objects as being like you).
5) Optional but I think this is important to visualize the elements (especially for allies). Set up the transformation in an equation form (because equations are transformations and you can see the symmetries) and give a non-funny summary of the joke. (This reveals in part why jokes get “ruined” because we are resistant to experiencing and analyzing the negative that we want to be relieved from).
The joke. In context it makes sense to think that she agrees with the content of the joke because she was negative towards the decision of the Free Pride Glasgow’s decision, and she presented it neutrally from a friend.
A friend of mine remarked yesterday that “This is like objecting to blackface on the grounds that it makes Rachel Dolezal feel uncomfortable.”
1) The context is an equivalence being drawn between [Rachael Dolezal objecting to white people performing blackface because it makes her feel uncomfortable], and [the Glasgow Trans/Non Binary Caucus objecting to male people performing drag performances because it makes them feel uncomfortable].
2a) The [Trans/Non Binary Caucus] is being transformed by [Rachael Dolezal].
2b) [male people performing drag performances] is being transformed by [white people performing blackface].
3) There will be arguments about charity here. I am being charitable, feel free to ask me how.
3a) Personal examples for concepts used in emotional transformation. [Rachael Dolezal] is a person who appropriated black culture for her own use and it would be hypocritical for her to object to blackface. The transformation is a suggestion that the [Trans/Non Binary Caucus] are appropriating woman culture for their own use and it would be hypocritical for them to complain about drag performances.
3b) Concepts used for emotional transformation. [white people performing blackface] are people who appropriated black culture for their own use. The transformation is a suggestion that [male people performing drag performances] are appropriating woman culture for their own use.
4) The least biased way of identifying emotions is to: identify the joke teller and social receivers, then look for positive/negative emotional connections, then try to see if you can make a specific identification.
4a) The joke teller views both drag performances and trans women as appropriating culture. It is safe to assume that they view both black face and Rachael Dolezal in negative terms since the connection between them was one of hypocricy, normally considered a negative.
4b) The socially compatible receivers of the humor would be people who would have similar social views of drag performances and trans women with respect to woman and racial cultural appropriation. The humor serves to twist the negative emotion associated with this into positive emotions when they see the equivalence to white people performing blackface.
5)A good non-funny version would be “It makes me uncomfortable that the Trans/Non Binary Caucus and drag performers are appropriating woman culture”. Here is the equivalence,
[Trans/Non Binary Caucus]
[uncomfortable for reasons of gender]
[objection]
[male people engaging in drag performances]
=
[Rachael Dolezal]
[uncomfortable for reasons of race]
[objection]
[white people engaging in blackface]
There are STILL problems in there I did not mention but this comment is too long as it is.
tl/dr: :bjarte:

blitzem

Post by blitzem »

James Caruthers wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: $71 is cheap? Also, that looks like UK region to me. Does it run on USA region players?

I think I paid $18 for my Baccano set. About the same for Mushishi. Less for Kino's Journey. Something like $15 for Moribito.

There's a reason I still don't own Bakemonogatari. Shit is too expensive. I just can't justify spending so much on anime when I could pirate it if I really wanted it that badly.
Damn you! You keep mentioning series that I should have said in my first post to Kat! Lol.

Bake and it's sequels are great, and I believe there is a new one coming up this fall.

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

deLurch wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:
JackSkeptic wrote:

[img.]http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/fac ... 66/fea.png[/img]

I don't know about you, but I am here for the discussion. Who cares if it was a troll topic.
I buy Playboy for the pictures.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Even shitty rags like Jezebel are in favor of the Amnesty International decision.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

I don't think these so-called "feminists" understand the impact of decriminalising prostitution/sex work. It means that sex workers can lobby for better facilities where they can better do their job. It means they don't have to stand outside in the cold for hours on end. It means they can get healthcare benefits, or demand better treatment from their customers. Hell, they might even be able to form a union.

Why do they always have to focus on the negative stuff? Stripping (or exotic dancing) is legal. It's been legal for quite a while now. But trafficking still occur in strip clubs today. The only difference is that strippers have rights. Sex workers do not.

free thoughtpolice

tl/dr: :bjarte:
Brony has mentioned he suffers from Tourette's Syndrome. I don't know if he has the tic of blurting out offensive words but if so I could imagine him at an SJW gathering going "cunt!", "bitch", "slut", "nigger".
Which reminds me, is it possible Brony is related to Steersman?

free thoughtpolice

Pitchguest wrote:I don't think these so-called "feminists" understand the impact of decriminalising prostitution/sex work. It means that sex workers can lobby for better facilities where they can better do their job. It means they don't have to stand outside in the cold for hours on end. It means they can get healthcare benefits, or demand better treatment from their customers. Hell, they might even be able to form a union.

Why do they always have to focus on the negative stuff? Stripping (or exotic dancing) is legal. It's been legal for quite a while now. But trafficking still occur in strip clubs today. The only difference is that strippers have rights. Sex workers do not.
Who says you need to be legalized to start a union?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COYOTE

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:I don't think these so-called "feminists" understand the impact of decriminalising prostitution/sex work. It means that sex workers can lobby for better facilities where they can better do their job. It means they don't have to stand outside in the cold for hours on end. It means they can get healthcare benefits, or demand better treatment from their customers. Hell, they might even be able to form a union.

Well then. Still, maybe now they're able to create an ACTUAL union.

By the way, I love that Wikipedia article. It's not quite as bad as the "Gamergate controversy" Wiki, but boy is it in need of quality control.

Not a single citation in the introduction, and it begins like this,
COYOTE is an American prostitutes' rights organization. Its name is a backronym for Call Off Your Old Tired Ethics, a reflection of the fact that sex work tends to be stigmatized primarily because of male-imposed standards of ethics (which many women, especially female sex workers, perceive as being misogynistic and meant to keep the female sex worker dependent upon, and inferior to, anti-sexual prudes, who tend to be male) whose earliest impositions date back a number of centuries.
Holy. Shit. That's pretty bad.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Many anti sex work radfems ultimately believe that all PIV is evil, but know better than to say it explicitly and so focus on those aspects of sex which are still controversial even among progressives, like prostitution, porn or "objectifying images" and "sexist media".

In this respect they're very similar to religious fundamentalists, which believe that all non-marital sex is evil but focus on the aspect of sex which are more controversial among conservatives, like non-heterosexual sex.

In both cases the real aim of the ideological constraints on sex isn't to protect the rights of the people involved in sexual acts, but to find an easy way to control people by shaming and ostracizing them for their sexual preferences or acts.

Ideological purity is all about the power of shame and guilt: you announce that something is sinful, shame the sinners and makes them feel horrible about themselves, then offer a choice between redemption through repentance or being excluded from society as a heretic. It's a very effective tool for control over your flock as long as most people in your group see you as righteous. It's even more effective if you convince people than everyone is sinful, that they all need to repent, and that the only way of doing it is through your church.

Radfems are simply using the tools of religion to further their goals.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

I was skimming through the Shoop's Roost-which I will henceforth refer to as the Poop Chute-and Tony posted about something he hates: leaving the shopping cart in a parking spot instead of returning it to the cart corral. At least 2 commenters told him that they can't help but leave the cart there because they have bad legs and use the cart like a walker. Tony being a good SJW, checked his not being feeble or an entitled dick privilege and thanked them for educating him.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Pitchguest wrote:By the way, I love that Wikipedia article. It's not quite as bad as the "Gamergate controversy" Wiki, but boy is it in need of quality control.

COYOTE is an American prostitutes' rights organization. Its name is a backronym for Call Off Your Old Tired Ethics, a reflection of the fact that sex work tends to be stigmatized primarily because of male-imposed standards of ethics (which many women, especially female sex workers, perceive as being misogynistic and meant to keep the female sex worker dependent upon, and inferior to, anti-sexual prudes, who tend to be male) whose earliest impositions date back a number of centuries.
After seeing the display against Amnesty International, I might question wikipedia's claim.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Pitchguest wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote: <snip>

By the way, I love that Wikipedia article. It's not quite as bad as the "Gamergate controversy" Wiki, but boy is it in need of quality control.

What do you mean? Seems pretty reasonable and straight forward to me.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

KenD wrote:I see that Amnesty International voted to support decriminalisation of prostitution.

[.youtube]pJ8xSBaVIXU[/youtube]

<snip>

Of course others are blaming this decision on the lack of women of colour in Amnesty International. Nothing but old white misogynistic men as far as the eye can see...
Good on Amnesty as far as I can see. But I tried, none too successfully of course, to disabuse Benson of some of her further (if not extensive and profound) ignorance on the matter by trying to sneak another one in under her radar. But she apparently would rather cut off her nose to spite her face than consider alternate viewpoints. In any case, my abortive post there (as Johnny Appleseed):

http://i57.tinypic.com/es3fau.jpg
The Amnesty petition in question which garnered some 10,000 signatures before closing.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Steersman wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote: <snip>

What do you mean? Seems pretty reasonable and straight forward to me.
"sex work tends to be stigmatized primarily because of male-imposed standards of ethics"

What does that mean? No idea and the article doesn't say. The article states something as fact without evidence to support it and it does so because of some force ("male-imposed standards of ethics") it doesn't explain.

"which many women, especially female sex workers, perceive as being misogynistic and meant to keep the female sex worker dependent upon, and inferior to, anti-sexual prudes, who tend to be male"

Is there a citation for this? Nope. "Many" is a weasel word and shouldn't exist in an encyclopaedic setting unless you can back it up, which the article doesn't.

"male-imposed standards of ethics ... whose earliest impositions date back a number of centuries"

No citation for this either. Reasonable and straight forward? Oh Steers. You are a card.