Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Old subthreads
Guest_f1c87e83

Re: Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Post by Guest_f1c87e83 »

JackSkeptic wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:For what it's worth, I don't mind Peter Flanders. The trolling guests are more than a bit annoying because they won't let my scrolling wheel rest for more than 15 seconds at a time.
Yeh, Flanders is OK and the rest don't bother me that much, even Damion. A free and open forum has to expect it and not cry too much when it happens. It is not a bad thing when the resilience of this place is tested on occasion.

LOL, The resilience of this place is being "tested" by random nobodies? ROFLMAO

It's about to get "tested" a whole hell of a lot harder you piece of shit.

Malky

Post by Malky »

Malky wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:OK, folks.

I have created a trigger which will create a username for guest posts of the form "Guest_xxxxxxxx" where xxxxxxxx is a lower-case hex string. The string is created by hashing a subset of the posters IP, which means that guests posting from the same IP will always show the same username. It's not perfect, but it'll show when nominally different guests are using the same IP address.

I'm going to upgrade the trigger, such that when a guest posts it will look for registered users who have posted from that IP address and flag it as a sock. Let's see who we can catch using this!
See a problem with this where people are using a VPN. This may well show the same IP for different people who could the be incorrectly shown as socks.
Then!!!! not the - also has anyone commented on this - SJWs Always Lie: Taking Down the Thought Police by SJWs Always Lie: Taking Down the Thought Policep by Vox Day?

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Guest_f1c87e83 wrote:
JackSkeptic wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:For what it's worth, I don't mind Peter Flanders. The trolling guests are more than a bit annoying because they won't let my scrolling wheel rest for more than 15 seconds at a time.
Yeh, Flanders is OK and the rest don't bother me that much, even Damion. A free and open forum has to expect it and not cry too much when it happens. It is not a bad thing when the resilience of this place is tested on occasion.

Not the resilience, merely the patience.

Don't mistake kindness for weakness.

Peter Flanders

Post by Peter Flanders »

On reflection, ThreeFlangedJavis has got it arse backwards. The greater the amount of time a task takes to complete the less it is likely that the person involved will be acting in hast. It takes a few moments to fire off an angry e-mail. If you have to take a walk to the post office to buy stamps you have far more time between commitment and execution to question a) is this worth the expense and b) is this still a good idea.

In truth it was one of the most powerful acts I have ever done, I put my reputation on the line against Myers'. He thinks his voice counts for more because he has a wider audience. I think you just have to do the right thing, no matter whether the numbers are stacked against you.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Malky wrote:

I have created a trigger which will create a username for guest posts of the form "Guest_xxxxxxxx" where xxxxxxxx is a lower-case hex string. The string is created by hashing a subset of the posters IP, which means that guests posting from the same IP will always show the same username. It's not perfect, but it'll show when nominally different guests are using the same IP address.

I'm going to upgrade the trigger, such that when a guest posts it will look for registered users who have posted from that IP address and flag it as a sock. Let's see who we can catch using this!
See a problem with this where people are using a VPN. This may well show the same IP for different people who could the be incorrectly shown as socks.
Could be, but that can be dealt with on a case-by-case basis. This is for twats like Waltron and DayDays trying to be oh-so-smart.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

I have been reading up on the latest developments in the Tim Hunt affair. Except for the usual scumbags, like Ophelia Benson and PZ Myers, most decent people are now accepting that Tim Hunt was quote-mined by a lying fraud, Connie St Louis, and that he was screwed over by a few backstabbing administrators at University College London as well as betrayed by some of his colleagues in other organisations. Never mind that not everyone may want to put it like this.

Amidst all the SJW outrage that I had to wade through, I found one post particularly shocking, as it came not from one of the ordinary outrage bloggers and tweeters, but from Athene Donald, a professor of physics at Cambridge University. She is also the Gender Equality Champion there. Even though she is sympathetic to Tim Hunt, she displays an appalling callousness about elderly white males. Read for yourself.

[quote]I

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Ericb wrote:
Shatterface wrote:If anyone thinks Trump can't win the Presidency just consider what London ended up with as Mayor.

Or Toronto

http://www.wrjphoto.com/wp-content/uplo ... sy-guy.jpg

I'd vote for him. The luls would be epic.

German StrutBoatsman

Post by German StrutBoatsman »

Can guest still use a self-selected nym then? Or will their nyms be randomized if their on dynamic IP?

German StrutBoatsman

Tribble wrote:
Ericb wrote:
Shatterface wrote:If anyone thinks Trump can't win the Presidency just consider what London ended up with as Mayor.

Or Toronto

http://www.wrjphoto.com/wp-content/uplo ... sy-guy.jpg

I'd vote for him. The luls would be epic.
Finally some new approach to drug legislation.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Guest_f1c87e83 wrote:
JackSkeptic wrote:

Not really. You're just boring. We all have scroll wheels. We all know how to use them.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

German StrutBoatsman wrote:

Can guest still use a self-selected nym then? Or will their nyms be randomized if their on dynamic IP?
The latter.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Lsuoma wrote:OK, looks like I horked up a trigger in the MySQL database which is preventing guests from posting. Trying to fix, but for now quests trying to post will get an error message.
Take your time.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Tribble wrote:
Guest_f1c87e83 wrote: LOL, The resilience of this place is being "tested" by random nobodies? ROFLMAO

Not really. You're just boring. We all have scroll wheels. We all know how to use them.
In case of Trollic Attack on your district, follow these rules...
If you are making love, it is imperative to bring all bodies to orgasm simultaneously
Do not waste time blocking your ears
Do not waste time seeking a soundproof shelter
Try to get as far away from the sonic source as possible
Do not panic...
Use your wheels, it is what they are for
Small babies may be placed inside the special cocoons and should be left, if possible, in shelters
Do not attempt to put your thumb over the neck
If no wheels are available, screwdrivers, not hammers should be employed whenever possible...

German StrutBoatsman

John D wrote:White people. Just plain old white people.

Blacks will vote Hilary, but turn out will be pretty low compared to Obama. Blacks love Bill Clinton, so this will help her. Hispanics will go to Hilary too. So, Hilary gets a pile of votes for "free", so to speak.

But.... you are discounting a lot of things that could happen. Hilary is getting so dogged by email server BS and other baggage in her history that Bernie Sanders could win the nomination. In this case, Trump would have a much better chance. Lots of white men and women are put off by the too liberal Sanders. This moderate pile could actually go to Trump.

All my liberal college educated friends love Bernie. I will not vote for him. I dislike most of his ideas, and I think he will be 100% ineffective in working with congress. If Bernie and Trump ran I would probably just stay home.

and don't discount Trumps ability to change his narrative. He says pretty wild shit, but once he finds a story that will get him enough votes he will deliver it effectively. He is about the only politician that will be able to change his talking points. People let him do this. No other politician has this kind of flexibility in message.
I don't see how Trump could actually qualify for the moderate vote, changing narratives or not. All he got yet is some percentage of the Republican base in public polls. There's no obligaton, no commitment, and all at a stage of the nominations that would be mindfuckingly boring and pointless if not for the reality tv show antics Trump offers.
Last time it was one clown after the other in the Republican nomination until they settled onto the boring candidate. Maybe this time it's only one clown, but in the end I guess it'll still come to on one of the boring candidates. Maybe, maybe, if Trumps rocks the boat long enough, this will clear the way for a half-nutso like Santorum or Huckabee.

But admittedly I don't know much about American electoral decisions, after having seen Bush getting elected twice over better-qualified (though maybe less 'relatable' and weak-appearing) opponents.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Nicki Minaj, feminist:
Yes I do the cooking
Yes I do the cleaning
Yes I keep the nana real sweet for your eating
Yes you be the boss yes I be respecting
Whatever that you tell me 'cause it's game you be spitting

Guest_81b45703

Post by Guest_81b45703 »

Test

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Guest_f1c87e83 wrote:
JackSkeptic wrote:

Oh no! Are you going to say bad things to us? :o
I think I'll just slink off into a corner and have a giant cry. :cry:

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

As long as I get a home address so I can go round and paint butterflies on their driveways I'm happy.
:hankey:

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Guest_81b45703 wrote:Test

Mmmmhhh...

(it was me)

dogen

Post by dogen »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:yes, I do have 3 cats...

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo35 ... gyxeug.jpg
I wish I'd seen this in college, before I decided to try my hand at bass.

Still, Phil, looks like you get plenty of pussy...

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Il n'a pas encore commenc

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

It's really Cee Lo Green's account she's tweeting at.

http://imgur.com/YJvBh9A.png

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Ape+lust wrote:It's really Cee Lo Green's account she's tweeting at.

http://imgur.com/YJvBh9A.png
vicarious rape accusations are the best rape accusations.

--bill

Post by --bill »

Lsuoma wrote:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Nerd has a confession. He's been dipping into the Redheads porridge.

http://i.imgur.com/kyJuTVU.jpg

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

BTW, I'll be fixing up the UTF encoding this weekend.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:

Mmmmhhh...

(it was me)
Ban the sock, Lsuoma. No warnings. No mercy.

dogen

Post by dogen »

--bill wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

[quote="dogen"][quote="--bill"][quote="Lsuoma"]

dogen

Post by dogen »

[quote="ConcentratedH2O, OM"][quote="dogen"][quote="--bill"][

Woot! I know French!

le lycanthrope iconoclaste est

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

Gumby as Guest wrote:Hey FT, wanted to log in to say hi to everyone (and explain my absence, which has nothing to do with prison) but my password doesn't work - seems to me this has happened before. Let me know what's up at the email addy I signed up with, thanks.

So until I can log in, fuck all of you pigs.
Was that a driveby Gumbers hello?

Gumby! Come back! Good to know you are OK, but don't be stranger!

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

[youtube]UvjLgjtJKsc[/youtube]

x_?_x

Post by x_?_x »

A non-guest test.

Well, this is awkward.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Malky wrote:

Yes and other issues too, but see how it goes.

windy

Post by windy »

German StrutBoatsman wrote:
dog puke wrote:
paddybrown wrote:
<Blah, blah, blah... guitar stuff>

Apologies to those on the pit who aren't pickup nerds, just ignore us.
So - the pit is populated by PUAs?

I knew it.
So for the last 5 pages, guitar = penis?
For the last 3 years, everything = penis

piero

Post by piero »

JackSkeptic wrote:
Malky wrote:

Yes and other issues too, but see how it goes.
Why not fuck them to the ground instead?

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Hahahaha!!

[url=https://www.rawstory.com/2015/08/carbon ... -muhammad/]Carbon dating suggests

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Lsuoma wrote: In case of Trollic Attack on your district, follow these rules...
If you are making love, it is imperative to bring all bodies to orgasm simultaneously
Do not panic...
Small babies may be placed inside the special cocoons and should be left, if possible, in shelters
If no wheels are available, screwdrivers, not hammers should be employed whenever possible...
Michael Moorcock would be proud...

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

[quote="Ape+lust"]Hahahaha!!

[url=https://www.rawstory.com/2015/08/carbon ... -muhammad/]Carbon dating suggests

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

screwtape wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: In case of Trollic Attack on your district, follow these rules...
Do not panic...
Michael Moorcock would be proud...
Bollocks.
Morcock would use a hammer.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Guest_f1c87e83 wrote:
JackSkeptic wrote:

I smell the vpn of a SJWarrio.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

[quote="Spike13"][quote="Ape+lust"]Hahahaha!!

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

Peter Flanders wrote: ...........
Bizarre reasoning here. The amount of time and effort I spend on a task is my business. As someone who used to regularly mail 22,000 engineering companies, 50 odd letters is no biggy. Does the trouble in finding a stack of envelopes and stuffing them somehow make a communication malicious? .............

This is a laughably juvenile comment. You would like me to change my attitude and behaviour to give you a better internet experience? You frown on sock-puppetry, yet you hide here behind a nym, which is essentially nothing more that a sock-puppet of your meatspace existence. Grow up and get a life, no adult will take your comment seriously.

You seriously spend your time lecturing people you don't know how to behave better. Meh.
I never said it did make a communication malicious. What it is likely to do though is make the recipient wonder what weirdo is stuffing envelopes to pursue a bit of drama.

It's no skin off my nose if you want to creep people out. Where did you get the idea that you have the power to affect my internet experience? Oh, I forgot, the Pitizens are all quaking, hiding from the glare of your home truths and begging uncle FT to protect them.

I think you are wise enough to know that sock puppetry is about consistency in a given venue or topic, not about anonymity.

x_?_x

Post by x_?_x »

[quote="Shatterface"][quote="Spike13"][quote="Ape+lust"]Hahahaha!!

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Liesmith wrote:Dammit...all the shitty ass butt fuck dick meanie heads who have been using VPNs to control crusty sock puppets have made it impossible for me to post while using my own VPN.

It took me about ten minutes to figure out that's what was going on when I tried to post earlier and was told that my IP was blocked. Now I have to connect directly to the internet like a caveman.
The hell you say! Using VPNs to troll blogs? Any one doing so should be hung, drawn,and quartered; there otta be a law ....

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Don't forget to add ''femmephobia'' to your list of thoughtcrimes:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... ephobia-2/

free thoughtpolice

Can they date the ink and if so with what degree of accuracy? It seems you will get range of dates. The later end of the range for the parchment dating agrees with the traditional accounts quite well. The fact that the range could include an earlier date will likely be ignored by proponents of the traditional view, especially the religious ones. For that matter even if the evidence points to a date definitely older than the traditional one the evidence would be ignored as fraudulent or mistaken by most, if not all Muslims.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Liesmith wrote:Dammit...all the shitty ass butt fuck dick meanie heads who have been using VPNs to control crusty sock puppets have made it impossible for me to post while using my own VPN.

It took me about ten minutes to figure out that's what was going on when I tried to post earlier and was told that my IP was blocked. Now I have to connect directly to the internet like a caveman.
Feel free to use a VPN - I do. Just let me know what you get from whatsmyip.org so I can look at getting you unblocked.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
Peter Flanders wrote: ...........
Bizarre reasoning here. The amount of time and effort I spend on a task is my business. As someone who used to regularly mail 22,000 engineering companies, 50 odd letters is no biggy. Does the trouble in finding a stack of envelopes and stuffing them somehow make a communication malicious? .............

This is a laughably juvenile comment. You would like me to change my attitude and behaviour to give you a better internet experience? You frown on sock-puppetry, yet you hide here behind a nym, which is essentially nothing more that a sock-puppet of your meatspace existence. Grow up and get a life, no adult will take your comment seriously.

You seriously spend your time lecturing people you don't know how to behave better. Meh.
I never said it did make a communication malicious. What it is likely to do though is make the recipient wonder what weirdo is stuffing envelopes to pursue a bit of drama.

It's no skin off my nose if you want to creep people out. Where did you get the idea that you have the power to affect my internet experience? Oh, I forgot, the Pitizens are all quaking, hiding from the glare of your home truths and begging uncle FT to protect them.

I think you are wise enough to know that sock puppetry is about consistency in a given venue or topic, not about anonymity.

Really? Shit, nobody gave me the memo...

Ok then. "Lawks! Lawks! Oh, my! Halp! Halp!"

How about that?

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Anyone watching this Sarah Nyberg shit going down?

I just don't get how my fellow liberals seem completely incapable of figuring out that it's not just conservative moral scolds who can turn out to be moral monsters.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

paddybrown wrote:
James Caruthers wrote: I gotta say though, I fucking love p90s. I had one of those cheap chinese fender ("modern player") jags with p90s. Even though it was cheap, p90s are the bomb. These days I make do with cranking my single coils until they get nice and dirty.
With distortion I prefer a humbucker as it doesn't go as fuzzy as a single coil, you get a lovely hooty clarinetty sound with almost infinite sustain, especially from the neck pickup. But for chords I like the springy sound of a clean, or almost clean, single coil. The nice thing about Gibson-style guitars is the separate volume controls for each pickup - you can crank up the amp, have the neck pickup on full volume for solos, and turn down the bridge pickup til it's nearly clean for rhythm, and switch between them.

I'm talking to a guitar builder about making me a custom guitar, and I want Gibson-style controls, plus a coil tap so I can get a more single-coily sound. I'm thinking of putting in Seymour Duncan P-Rails - very clever pickups combining a hot rail single-coil with a P90 - you can play one or the other, or both as a humbucker. One in the bridge position at least. I think I want undiluted Gibson PAF in the neck.

Apologies to those on the pit who aren't pickup nerds, just ignore us.
I hear a lot of good things about P-rails. I had some Duncans in my LTD Viper 1000 (looks like a pimp guitar) and they were good, but the sound always seemed just a bit tinny or metallic. Definitely had more of the upper range, and I'm a mids guy myself. I actually like the fuzz a lot. One of the reasons I love overdriven P90s and even single coils is the muddy, fuzzy sound you can get from them. A song like Eric Clapton's "Cocaine" works well with this sound imo. Since I mostly play rock and early metal music, having that more Rolling Stones sound is better for me than something cleaner and more processed/professional. I run through a vintage Vibrochamp and use pedals for distortion.

From what I've seen, Reverend guitars make brilliant pickups. If I had the option, I would buy some Revtrons and stick those in. But Gibson makes fantastic humbuckers too imo and a coil tap sounds like it'd work great for what you want. Just be aware, as you probably are, that sometimes the coil tap just doesn't compare to the sound quality you'd get from (for example) a vintage Fender single coil. But it's a pretty nitpicky issue for most people.

free thoughtpolice

Shatterface wrote:Don't forget to add ''femmephobia'' to your list of thoughtcrimes:

What a load of horseshit that is clumsily disguised as some really deep and profound truth of psychology.
I guess this writing essays for patreon is really getting the hacks scraping for material. For example, this abortion from Miri:
https://archive.is/fX8eJ

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Peter Flanders wrote:Peter Flanders died in a car crash over the Bank Holiday weekend 29th - 31st August 2015. RIP.
Sayonara; we hardly knew ye.
Peter Flanders wrote:Some interesting facts about Peter's life:

Peter was a sockpuppet just like Parody Accountant and Tony Parsehole. ....
Confession, good for the soul. Though not always necessarily so for those hearing it.
Peter Flanders wrote:Pogsurf was doxxed by members of the pit, including FT.
:popcorn:
Maybe. Seems some of the comments that I saw were shading a little close to the line. However, I think it illustrates the fact that many rules, that rule in particular, have some problematic exceptions to them, and that it is generally unwise to take an overly dogmatic - hard and fast - position on the issues.

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

Sunder wrote:Anyone watching this Sarah Nyberg shit going down?

I just don't get how my fellow liberals seem completely incapable of figuring out that it's not just conservative moral scolds who can turn out to be moral monsters.

Can you hook a brother up with a link or two?

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Bourne Skeptic wrote:
Sunder wrote:Anyone watching this Sarah Nyberg shit going down?

Can you hook a brother up with a link or two?
[youtube]FPKOSvo3AJM[/youtube]

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Shatterface wrote:Don't forget to add ''femmephobia'' to your list of thoughtcrimes:

Femmephobia is the devaluation, fear and hatred of the feminine: of softness, nurturance, dependence, emotions, passivity, sensitivity, grace, innocence and the color pink.
WTF. Never mind a good number of those terms are too vague to understand in the context of the definition, could they be anymore stereotypically sexist in fighting sexism with their made-up an non-existent terms and conditions?

dopamine

Benson on Melby

Post by dopamine »