Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Old subthreads
Ericb

Re: Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Post by Ericb »

EyeNoU wrote::dance:
Lsuoma wrote:
ERV wrote: 3-- John Greg, some of the most clever people I have interacted with are here on the pit. Give us some time to help you figure out a real solution, or at least a viable short-term fix to give us more time, before you think you have to kill yourself. I wish you had said something sooner. I am an expert at being poor! I'm not sure any of my budget tips would help you now, but they would have 10 months ago. *frustratedface* *sigh* *frustratedface*

IF ANY OF YOU CUNTS RUNS INTO LIFES PROBLEMS AND YOU FEEL LIKE YOURE LOSING THE BATTLE, FUCKING SAY SOMETHING. I DONT PROMISE SHIT, BUT A FEW DOZEN PEOPLE PROBLEM SOLVING IS A FUCKOFALOT BETTER THAN ONE. GODDAMMIT.

LET US HELP YOU.

SO SPEAKETH THE ERV.
Yep. Let us buy you some time, JG. Lots of people want to help.
Set something up. At least one lurker (me) would like to help.
Me too.

Grwd

Post by Grwd »

/Delurk

John, you're a cool dude and I always love reading your input. Don't do it man, life is always worth it. You'll find a way I'm sure.

/Relurk

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Well, yes, what CH20 said does have some entertaining sting for sure.

So, jimthepleb, you don't like my bass playing? That'll make Baby Jesus cry, you know.

Cuntajus, I think the protocol is basically for me to make up my mind one way or another about whether or not I can be comfortable enough with accepting Pit help that I'll OK it. I'll answer that one either tomorrow, or later this evening. I am still pondering the many variouses.

Yes, the embarrassment, as CH20 so entertainingly put it, is pretty fucking goofy. But it's harder to get over than I thought it would be. Actually, frankly, I am very surpised that it's there at all. I always , always, always yell at the screen when I'm watching a movie or a TV show where some character on the down-and-outs refuses charity out of some kind of noble honour or moral squeamishness. And here I am doing the very thing that I get so pissed off at my TV for. Contradictions abound; bear with me.

TheMan, thank you. That's very thoughtful, and I appreciate it.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

This expression of concern and support is humbling.

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

HunnyBunny wrote:
piero wrote:
CuntajusRationality wrote:How about we commission John Greg to write a book on the hateful and harmful rhetoric of PZ Myers? It could be like the Happy Atheist, except it would be a compliation of all the petty, hateful shit Myers has said over the years.
We could self-publish, sell it on Amazon, and have 100 free copies handed out on campus in Morris.
That's a brilliant idea. An atheist style guide, by counterexample. Given the current epidemics of self-righteousness and feigned outrage, it should not be solely about PZ but include also, for instance, the Rolling Stone débacle, campus censorship, Ophelia's fall from grace and so on.

If John is willing to do it, I pledge to contribute to his upkeep monthly.
If Heina Dadabhoy can get 10k and not produce a book in over 3 years, this plan sounds like a golden opportunity. With Gamergate mobilising people to come out anti-SJW rubbish, there is a good sized audience out there if if it included a bit more general SJW rubbish.

Pity Parsehole laid Godfrey to rest, his 15k twitter followers could have been a good advertising venue, a bit of Pansexual Genderfluid Transblack outrage would have made it a sure hit.

A Go Fund Me or IndieGoGo page could bring in book money up front and give immediate relief providing the time to write.
Maybe she thought the money was too not write a book for three years.

dopamine

Post by dopamine »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Tapir wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:
Phew....what a zinger!

Where else can we find this calibre of wit?

:bjarte:
What's the difference with people who endlessly search the Pit to fuel their victim complex?

Are they worse than slug parasites, too?
oh snap! :D

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Bourne Skeptic wrote:
HunnyBunny wrote:
If Heina Dadabhoy can get 10k and not produce a book in over 3 years, this plan sounds like a golden opportunity. With Gamergate mobilising people to come out anti-SJW rubbish, there is a good sized audience out there if if it included a bit more general SJW rubbish.

Pity Parsehole laid Godfrey to rest, his 15k twitter followers could have been a good advertising venue, a bit of Pansexual Genderfluid Transblack outrage would have made it a sure hit.

A Go Fund Me or IndieGoGo page could bring in book money up front and give immediate relief providing the time to write.
We will know on December 14th according to Amazon

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

John Greg wrote:Matt C said:
Umm, John -- that thing, what just went over your head ... you missed it.
OK. That's fine. I'm not omniscient. Please, spell it out for me. Why is it OK for Tuvok to say, without qualifiers, that "Lousy Canuck is a scumbag rapist"?
Because those da standards and rulez Lousy Canuck lives by. If Canuck has those standards, I will happily respect him and apply his own standard to himself.

;)

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

John Greg wrote:This expression of concern and support is humbling.
We're just concern trolling John. Don't go soft on us.
Hey guys...let's put on a musical and we can save the youth club (every Cliff Richard film of the 1960's)
What gives me hope chap is that you have had a wry smile or two today.
But this hideous group of misogynists harassers and rapists has your back.

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

This.

[youtube]ruhFmBrl4GM[/youtube]

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Late to the party but best of wishes from me too John. The best advice I can think of is to throw yourself into any hobby you know you enjoy and maybe get away from all the SJW crap as it can be very draining on emotions. It is like spending time in a mental institution, eventually it sends you mad and affects your well being.

Remember we are dealing with hateful bigots who enjoy hurting others and the vast majority of people are not like them.

Also, grab any offer of support you are given. It is not a matter of pride as you have earned it.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:http://i.imgur.com/czZbzTS.png
Interesting to see Mr. Tentacle Rape and his horde moaning about Milo. Is this because they are panicking over paedophile srhbutts, and the support she has received from various Baboons?

Srhbutts would fit right in at Pharyngula, where she could double team with child rapist Ogvorbis. Imagine that, a paedophile and a child rapist given a "safe haven" at a blog run by a sexual mollester of one his students!!!!!!!!

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

John, all the best from the Pit Crew.

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

jimthepleb wrote:
We're just concern trolling John. Don't go soft on us.
Hey guys...let's put on a musical and we can save the youth club (every Cliff Richard film of the 1960's)
What gives me hope chap is that you have had a wry smile or two today.
But this hideous group of misogynists harassers and rapists has your back.
It's a Wonderful Slymepit

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/ ... ding/n9521

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Right? I honestly am still stunned by the awesomeness I have been shown. Now make with the paypal email.

RonSwanson

Post by RonSwanson »

HunnyBunny wrote: If Heina Dadabhoy can get 10k and not produce a book in over 3 years, this plan sounds like a golden opportunity.
You know, I was *this* close to giving Heina money at the time. I still think we need more ex-Muslim voices out there. That she never followed through is probably not surprising. It takes some stones to touch that third rail.

Re: John. I don't know you and I'm new here but I hope you change your mind. Good luck. We need more voices like yours. Really like your posts here and in other blogs I read.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

HunnyBunny wrote:
piero wrote:
CuntajusRationality wrote:How about we commission John Greg to write a book on the hateful and harmful rhetoric of PZ Myers? It could be like the Happy Atheist, except it would be a compliation of all the petty, hateful shit Myers has said over the years.
We could self-publish, sell it on Amazon, and have 100 free copies handed out on campus in Morris.
That's a brilliant idea. An atheist style guide, by counterexample. Given the current epidemics of self-righteousness and feigned outrage, it should not be solely about PZ but include also, for instance, the Rolling Stone débacle, campus censorship, Ophelia's fall from grace and so on.

If John is willing to do it, I pledge to contribute to his upkeep monthly.

Keep in mind that Technical writing is very much the opposite of creative writing, or enjoyable writing. It is dry, hopefully clear, precise instructions/directions/information. Personally I think it is kind of fun, but it isn't anywhere near the bulk of my work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technical_writing

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

John Greg wrote:Yes, the embarrassment, as CH20 so entertainingly put it, is pretty fucking goofy. But it's harder to get over than I thought it would be. Actually, frankly, I am very surpised that it's there at all. I always , always, always yell at the screen when I'm watching a movie or a TV show where some character on the down-and-outs refuses charity out of some kind of noble honour or moral squeamishness. And here I am doing the very thing that I get so pissed off at my TV for. Contradictions abound; bear with me.
Here is the thing. Do you think anyone who donated to Comicinc regrets having done so? With those funds, he was able to secure an apartment reasonably near his kids, and then land a job. It landed him on his feet. We can search all day for charities that try to not just maintain people, but to get themselves back in a position where they can help and sustain themselves. And while Comicinc isn't exactly in a super great position, he has all of the basics covered, which in turn provides him with the chance to improve his situation even more.

And maybe a little while down the road, when he is really doing well, he will have the chance to pay it forward.

You notice, no one here wants the money paid back. They are just happy to have him on his feet. And the possibility of him in the future helping other out is pure icing on the cake.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

HunnyBunny wrote:
Bourne Skeptic wrote:
HunnyBunny wrote:

That literally means nothing. They pushed release date for the XMRV 'expose' book over and over and over.

Also, LOL! 192 pages!! HAAAHAHAHAHA! HAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

ERV wrote:
HunnyBunny wrote:
Bourne Skeptic wrote: We will know on December 14th according to Amazon
That literally means nothing. They pushed release date for the XMRV 'expose' book over and over and over.

Yah. Wonder how much of it will come from Ibn Warraq?

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

New video by Rebecca Watson- Stupid Atheists Think they Disproved Jesus's Superpowers First But Buddhists Beat 'em to it:
[youtube][/youtube]

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

[youtube]YrncG8NvZJI[/youtube]

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

ERV wrote:
HunnyBunny wrote:
Bourne Skeptic wrote:

15 bucks. Fuck me.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

justinvacula wrote:"Because breastfeeding is time-consuming, often painful, sex-specific work, it makes an obvious observation even more glaring: Customary domestic responsibilities can be readily performed by either gender. And yet in most households with children, the male partner picking up a task here and there is still not enough of a contribution to create greater gender equity. "

Breastfeeding is sex specific work she says? Uh-oh. That's problematic :p
http://america.aljazeera.com/opinions/2 ... eding.html

Her body, her choice, her waaaaah.

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

Hi John... I just remembered something that may help since you have technical writing skills that could be adapted to copy proofing skills. A friend, when she retired, used her journalism skills she hadn't used for decades to proof read text for medium to large companies. She went through an agency at first but after a couple of years set up her own small business and did it on here own. She makes enough to supplement her meager funds and all from the comfort of her lounge. Worth exploring.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

CommanderTuvok wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:http://i.imgur.com/czZbzTS.png
Interesting to see Mr. Tentacle Rape and his horde moaning about Milo. Is this because they are panicking over paedophile srhbutts, and the support she has received from various Baboons?

Srhbutts would fit right in at Pharyngula, where she could double team with child rapist Ogvorbis. Imagine that, a paedophile and a child rapist given a "safe haven" at a blog run by a sexual mollester of one his students!!!!!!!!
Nah, its because some foul enemies of all things women showed up and agreed with Milo's explanation for why there are fewer women in some areas of science than men. The original article was from late June, and it had gone dormant on its own before some commenters randomly showed up to give PZ and his minions high blood pressure.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

TheMan wrote:Hi John... I just remembered something that may help since you have technical writing skills that could be adapted to copy proofing skills. A friend, when she retired, used her journalism skills she hadn't used for decades to proof read text for medium to large companies. She went through an agency at first but after a couple of years set up her own small business and did it on here her own. She makes enough to supplement her meager funds and all from the comfort of her lounge. Worth exploring.
FTFY.

Tapir

Post by Tapir »

Cainji once more takes another step to becoming the victim to end all victims.....

http://i.imgur.com/6boHTQ5.jpg

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

[youtube]vo7fFpDVMB8[/youtube]

The Breakfast Club is a fairly well-known little cabal of youtube SJWs.

For your consideration: SJW doesn't like the SJW concept of cultural appropriation.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

I'm just posting this here in case somebody needs one later...

http://www.krakend.com/funny/awesome/37 ... -your-day/

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

James Caruthers wrote:[youtube]vo7fFpDVMB8[/youtube]

The Breakfast Club is a fairly well-known little cabal of youtube SJWs.

For your consideration: SJW doesn't like the SJW concept of cultural appropriation.
I remember watching Gothatfunk's videos back in the day before the great schism. I got bored with him and un-subbed from his channel, probably back in 2009 or 2010. He never seemed like an SJW type to me, so its interesting that he's gone in that direction.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

John Greg,
Just a few things that may have already been covered (though this is one of the few times I've actually read every post on every page).

If you set up a funding page or account (and I truly hope you do), you might consider getting one that allows monthly contributions, as does Patreon. All the brainstorming is well and good and will lead to the ultimate solution, but right now what you need is immediate tangible assistance. With combined contributions and a little luck, we can possibly hit something like the $2000 per month to meet your minimal needs. The only way to find out is to try it. $24k a year isn't a hell of a lot, but if you know it will be there consistently for a year at least, it will buy some peace of mind. The last thing you need right now is to be fighting a multi-front battle.

Second, you might consider returning to your doctor and checking once again for underlying issues with either depression or anxiety that might impede your recovery. It's insidious how these disorders are often least perceived by their sufferers (Anosognosia). Be aware that if you mention suicidal intentions your doctor will almost certainly recommend immediate hospitalization, and I'm not going to say that is inappropriate. There's no way for me to know that that isn't exactly what you should do; there's no way anyone here can. You seem to believe that you're thinking rationally, and that's kind of what worries me. I'm not really cool with the "it's your decision..." argument. To me, financial difficulties are not a sound reason to end your life.

I fully understand the issue about pride and I fully appreciate the "give a man to fish/teach a man to fish" argument, but you're kind of past that point on the clock, at least in this round.

Sorry if some of this has sounded a little abrasive, but I've learned the hard way that when someone uses the "S" word, you take them with dead seriousness. I immediately go into interventionist mode. Please make the Patreon or Paypal or whatever, and let's figure this out together.

welch

Post by welch »

John Greg wrote:Well, yes, what CH20 said does have some entertaining sting for sure.

So, jimthepleb, you don't like my bass playing? That'll make Baby Jesus cry, you know.

Cuntajus, I think the protocol is basically for me to make up my mind one way or another about whether or not I can be comfortable enough with accepting Pit help that I'll OK it. I'll answer that one either tomorrow, or later this evening. I am still pondering the many variouses.

Yes, the embarrassment, as CH20 so entertainingly put it, is pretty fucking goofy. But it's harder to get over than I thought it would be. Actually, frankly, I am very surpised that it's there at all. I always , always, always yell at the screen when I'm watching a movie or a TV show where some character on the down-and-outs refuses charity out of some kind of noble honour or moral squeamishness. And here I am doing the very thing that I get so pissed off at my TV for. Contradictions abound; bear with me.

Dude, you have people who want to help you. Tell your pride to fuck right off, it is lying to you. Go set up the fucking PayPal, it is quite easy.

Actually, you being Canadian had nothing to do with anything, but that all the openings I'd heard about dried up. Big shock, I know.

But you don't get to just give up. Here: https://www.dice.com/jobs?q=technical+writer&l=

Yeah, they're all in the states, you got something better to do? And yeah, moving someplace where you don't know anyone's a pain in the ass, but you do it anyway, and it can be pretty fucking cool. Unless it's North Dakota. North Dakota fuckin' sucks. But knock this giving up shit off. Be a mule about it. Mules ain't pretty and they ain't fast and they're obnoxious fuckers at times but they put their heads down and get shit done.

And if you haven't yet, revamp your resume and send it to lsuoma. He's a hiring type, he can probably give you some solid tips on what it needs to say to get accepted.

Either way, you best be sending resumes to every goddamned job on that list or I swear I will renew my passport, just to drive up there and tell you you're bein' dumb in person.

Please let the folks here help you. Beats the fuckin' alternative. I will be quite cross, (and crass) if you eat a lead dick because of this kind of shit. There's not a lot of folks I like. You're one of them. Don't be a dumbass about this, okay? Good.

(Yeah, I know, I have R. Lee Ermey's bedside manner. It's part of my fuckin' charm.)

And for some of the rest of you:

Seriously, people crowing about 3-4 posts in a row? Honkies please, don't talk shit until you hit double digits. Fuckin' amateurs

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Ah, the Welchinator is back.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Fuck!

I hope Welch was just making a drive-by post. I'm that close to beating his posts number.

But beside the R. Lee Ermey tone, quite spot on.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Now, of course, if MKG also came back to post something for JG, it would be like the good old days at ERV's. A boy can dream...

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

welch wrote:
John Greg wrote:Well, yes, what CH20 said does have some entertaining sting for sure.
<sniP>

Dude, you have people who want to help you. Tell your pride to fuck right off, it is lying to you. Go set up the fucking PayPal, it is quite easy.

<snip>
And for some of the rest of you:

Seriously, people crowing about 3-4 posts in a row? Honkies please, don't talk shit until you hit double digits. Fuckin' amateurs
"Big John. Big Bad John" How you doing you old reprobate? I thought I saw on your twitter page that you didn't have any more fucks to give. Doesn't look like it. ;-)

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

https://twitter.com/alicedreger/status/ ... 5361201153

Links to http://alicedreger.com/ally

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Agent provocateur-esses (2) ;-)

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

OK,
I haz a plan...

Anything that the pit organizes for John is going to be a temporary stop-gap until he finds himself on his feet again (and you will John - a lot of us have been where you are now and have come out the other side with the help of friends.)
The pit can help - as it has helped others in the past (and indeed, in turn, John can help others in future) but just receiving donations without providing something back can sting a persons pride.
So...

Here's a proposal.
A year or two back I had the thought about writing a history of the atheist schism. You just know that if someone else - particularly from the FTB/Skepchick side comes out with something it will be full of lies and misrepresentations (thousands of rape threats from the slimepit?) and it will be taken as gospel by the sorts that never bother to find out the truth (unfortunately that means most people).
I have a pretty good understanding of all the ins and outs and various shenanigans of the leading players and thought I could put together an accurate and truthful narrative.

But then work/family situations got in the way and I put this idea on the shelf.
I realize now that it's not a task for one person - particularly if you can only do it part time.

However, it is not beyond the ability of a group of people to do - particularly if one of them has the time to act as the coordinator/editor.
What's more we have a unique group of people here on the pit that could make such a history both interesting but also entertaining.
If we all join together.

What I am thinking of is an illustrated history of the atheist schism - using both accurate descriptions of the key events in the schism, including sociopolitical analysis (looking at you, Aneris!), PLUS key artwork by the slymepit's panel of shoopers.
- a kind of "Slymepit Guide to the Atheist Schism".

This can only be done with a dedicated editor - I certainly haven't got the time for it but if John is willing then this seems to be something that could work.
We could have funding for the ongoing work to produce the book and then money from the sale of the finished product.

I'm sure a lot of us, writers and artists, would be willing to help out, and John will have helped produce a useful product at the finish point.
There is a fantastic story to be told - lets make sure that we are the ones who tell it.
I think something like a Patreon/Kickstarter type fund would be perfect for such a project.
This might give John the opportunity to feel productive (come on, he'd be working for us!), but to also have the time to look for more long term measures for the future.

Any thoughts?

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Skep tickle wrote: https://twitter.com/alicedreger/status/ ... 5361201153

Links to http://alicedreger.com/ally
Excellent.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Dick Strawkins wrote:OK,
I haz a plan...

Anything that the pit organizes for John is going to be a temporary stop-gap until he finds himself on his feet again (and you will John - a lot of us have been where you are now and have come out the other side with the help of friends.)
The pit can help - as it has helped others in the past (and indeed, in turn, John can help others in future) but just receiving donations without providing something back can sting a persons pride.
So...

Here's a proposal.
A year or two back I had the thought about writing a history of the atheist schism. You just know that if someone else - particularly from the FTB/Skepchick side comes out with something it will be full of lies and misrepresentations (thousands of rape threats from the slimepit?) and it will be taken as gospel by the sorts that never bother to find out the truth (unfortunately that means most people).
I have a pretty good understanding of all the ins and outs and various shenanigans of the leading players and thought I could put together an accurate and truthful narrative.

But then work/family situations got in the way and I put this idea on the shelf.
I realize now that it's not a task for one person - particularly if you can only do it part time.

However, it is not beyond the ability of a group of people to do - particularly if one of them has the time to act as the coordinator/editor.
What's more we have a unique group of people here on the pit that could make such a history both interesting but also entertaining.
If we all join together.

What I am thinking of is an illustrated history of the atheist schism - using both accurate descriptions of the key events in the schism, including sociopolitical analysis (looking at you, Aneris!), PLUS key artwork by the slymepit's panel of shoopers.
- a kind of "Slymepit Guide to the Atheist Schism".

This can only be done with a dedicated editor - I certainly haven't got the time for it but if John is willing then this seems to be something that could work.
We could have funding for the ongoing work to produce the book and then money from the sale of the finished product.

I'm sure a lot of us, writers and artists, would be willing to help out, and John will have helped produce a useful product at the finish point.
There is a fantastic story to be told - lets make sure that we are the ones who tell it.
I think something like a Patreon/Kickstarter type fund would be perfect for such a project.
This might give John the opportunity to feel productive (come on, he'd be working for us!), but to also have the time to look for more long term measures for the future.

Any thoughts?
Just replying to myself to bring my evil plan to the top of the page! :)

feathers

Post by feathers »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Fuck!

I hope Welch was just making a drive-by post. I'm that close to beating his posts number.

But beside the R. Lee Ermey tone, quite spot on.
Maybe a Sgt Hartman is precisely what John needs right now, who knows.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Any thoughts?
Yes.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

By yes, I mean "yes, it's a very good idea, we should do it". With the multiple talents here, it should be quite complete and well documented. Maybe someone should start by drafting a main timeline to work from?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

That's an awful lot of "should". replace some with "could", at your leisure.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:By yes, I mean "yes, it's a very good idea, we should do it". With the multiple talents here, it should be quite complete and well documented. Maybe someone should start by drafting a main timeline to work from?
Frankly, we need an editor to do this.
Perhaps someone who is a professional technical writer?

Bollocks.

Where on earth are we going to find one of those?
:cry:

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Dick Strawkins wrote:Frankly, we need an editor to do this.

Bollocks.

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/2014-06 ... 4391-9.gif

feathers

Post by feathers »

Bhurzum wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:Frankly, we need an editor to do this.

Bollocks.

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/2014-06 ... 4391-9.gif
Woof! Woof!

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:By yes, I mean "yes, it's a very good idea, we should do it". With the multiple talents here, it should be quite complete and well documented. Maybe someone should start by drafting a main timeline to work from?

Bollocks.

An editor!?! I have heard that Davis Aurini knows all the keyboard short cuts. :rimshot:

Hey, you Brits have lots of writers in Westminster, no?

Chaucer, Milton, etc?
Of course, if they are too olde school (and unresponsive), maybe try New Westminster? :bjarte:

eh?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Maybe we should ask a mod if anybody comes to mind, they usually know this kind of stuff...

blitzem

Post by blitzem »

@John Greg....and sorry for the latish response.

I am sorry to hear about your issues, but I know what it is like. I have an undergrad degree in engineering that I can't use because I have been out of the game for too long (economy, bad decisions, etc) and I had to go on social assistance for a time.

And, in that context, might I suggest Ottawa? The social safety net there is strained, but is still fairly robust, both with housing and access to job hunting and computing services. Additionally, Carleton University has in the past made their computing services available to the public (with permission) in the Library which includes the ability to program using the Carleton Computing Service LAN. Not sure if that has changed or not, but it was there for quite some time. Algonquin College might also have something similar.

Either way, it is cheaper (somewhat) to live there than in T.O., especially across the river in Gatineau and there is regular public transit from Quebec to Ontario and back again.

At any rate, I see that other 'Pitters have contributed ideas, and I hope that something grabs your interest and that you are able to work it out.

Cheers.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Okay, so reading the pit - am summarising what we've come up with:

1. John needs to set up a paypal as people wish to donate *immediately* - we would be buying time until we get a long-term solution.

2. Several people have some potential job leads or ideas for jobs which they're going to follow up with on/check viability of.

3. John has several offers of support and suggestions to keep his spirits up, such as calls, reading, etc.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Dick Strawkins wrote:

Bollocks.

Ive thought a history long overdue. Good idea.

But I wouldn't treat the lolz and FCn more seriously than it deserves. SJW are not part of a credible -ism. They are simply mean, zelous base ideologs. But certainly broad topics include:

EG: origins, origins of CIS old white men (Muslima) meme and RW role
ERV to the Pit
Establishment of non scienceblogs FtB

The consequent slide of PZ into "non dictionary - must be third wave feminism" and his death cudddle with same.

Mapping of third wave buggery with AS themes. And then the actual flow.

Conference code wars
TAM-slide 2010
War on AS leadership: general
War on Shermer - questions of consent and criminal allegations
War on Radford
Radicalisation of the horde, bunnygate thru to thread of shame with Oggie
A Plus
FtB doxing
PZ's slide to jumping the shark as he became unquaint. Decline of angry NA.
PZs nugenting
Widespread backlash to SJ excess - tee shirt gate, Hunt, Boris, Dawkins mockery
PZs final slide to irrelevance - Ali, Robins, snubbed in UK, disassociation
FtB schism, collapse - causes etc

A place needs to ne found for humorous misc:
hensley's PTSD
Watson - tablegate et al
Avi
Surley's peer reviewed lumps of shit

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

4. Forgot this - there are potential options to move countries, depending on whether John wants to shift.

German StrutBoatsman

Post by German StrutBoatsman »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:OK,
I haz a plan...

So...

Here's a proposal.
(...)
Just replying to myself to bring my evil plan to the top of the page! :)
I think it's up to John to tell us if he has a project he likes to work on. Then he could set up a patreon and we see what we can do. Otherwise, a simple paypal or indiegogo might be better than just to find some project that we imagine we'd like doing but maybe John can't really get behind. But anyway, John's decision.

Like many others I had my time where I found myself without any regular income and in a rather messed up shape, psychologically. I luckily had family to catch me and give me the space to get myself together again. If it's time to give something back, there's nothing shameful about accepting it. Or there shouldn't be at least.

Slipterid

Post by Slipterid »

John Greg wrote: It is terribly embarrassing and shaming for me to be going through this, so I am going to have some trouble making up my mind about accepting financial help from people who I've never even met.

Family is one thing (and what a huge fucking surprise it was to have mine let me down), but you folks are something else again, and I feel deeply that I should not be asking for help.
You can choose your friends; family, not so much.

Yes, of course it's embarrassing, but on the plus side you would probably never meet us, so you can hide the blushes. And if you stay alive -- accepting help as needed -- you can be there for the next person who needs it.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Slipterid wrote:
Yes, of course it's embarrassing,
No it's not.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Brive1987 wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:

Ive thought a history long overdue. Good idea.
Excellent ideas guys, there is certainly a hell of a story to be told. If only we had someone who had collated timelines of the major goings on during the schism and another person with an encyclopaedic knowlege of the resources already laid down in the 'pit. Hell I once met a guy from that France country who could probably do some translation if needs be, if only I could remember his name. If anyone finds that editor chappie maybe he could hang it all together.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

I don't think any of us are pressuring John to do anything he doesn't want to. Rather we're throwing (possibly too many) ideas hoping something will appeal to him. The book idea strikes me as good because there is a clear market for it at the moment as we've seen with Allum Bhokari's 'cultural libertarian' article at Breitbart, which has been widely circulated on Twitter and has had a bit of pick up from other MSM outlets. We also have one of the best resources for tracking the events of the schism right here on the pit, with a day by day, blow by blow account of the goings on, hell it's even illustrated!
But if John says a firm no that would be the end of the conversation as far as I'm concerned.