Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Old subthreads
Sunder

Re: Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Post by Sunder »

Really? wrote:I'm not a big Glenn fan. I just think that a lot of the hypocrisy from the other side of the schism is hypocrisy.
The only thing that's pissing me off is this false equivalence being peddled mostly by Ahermit that because Dawkins hasn't deigned to remove embedded videos from his foundation's website, he has less integrity than Ed Brayton.

Nevermind that as far as I'm concerned, the ONLY reason Brayton took Avicenna's blog down was because not doing so would leave him open to countless lawsuits. You know, the kind of shit he mentioned led to him dumping FTB in favor of easy Patheos money.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

He's bloody awful at balancing a checkbook, as it happens.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

deLurch wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:One more bee in the ol' bonnet to shake loose before catching up on work, watching a >10 yr old TV series (because that's how au courant we are), and returning to mostly-lurking mode.

Foundation Beyond Belief has announced the 5 organizations to which they're funneling donations this quarter, one in each of their standard categories, link. They've been pretty even-handed so far, within the limits of my only occasionally noticing which orgs they've picked. But this time there seems to be a theme.

Below are the 5 new picks, each under its FBB topic heading w/ link to the org's website, with a quote from the org's mission & vision until its gender focus was revealed (the focus of its charitable recipients and/or vision). Then I added a bit of color to that particular info. :)
Good for them. If their approach draws more donations than they normally would, I am not going to quibble. I am assuming their their charities are reasonably well researched to ensure a good return on investment.
On the other hand, it's possible some of their donors may start thinking that an agenda (beyond "humanism") is starting to creep into their decisions, so they might end up with fewer donations than they normally would. ;)
deLurch wrote:I personally don't outsource my donation giving decisions. Bill Gates does, but it appears he found someone with similar goals. The United Way is another popular choice.

I still prefer for my donation dollars not to receive the haircut off the top. And I prefer to pick and evaluate.
For the most part I agree, but FBBB seemed like an opportunity to learn about a wider variety of secular orgs doing direct charitable work, & have FBBB do the work of checking them out. I guess I'll go back to the tried-and-true ones I already know. My personal preference is to focus more on life-saving anyway (clean water, food, & medical relief work in areas where people are physically suffering, even literally dying, in higher than average #s from lack of these resources). To each his/her/xir/zir/hir/their own.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Skep tickle wrote:For the most part I agree, but FBBB seemed like an opportunity to learn about a wider variety of secular orgs doing direct charitable work, & have FBBB do the work of checking them out. I guess I'll go back to the tried-and-true ones I already know. My personal preference is to focus more on life-saving anyway (clean water, food, & medical relief work in areas where people are physically suffering, even literally dying, in higher than average #s from lack of these resources). To each his/her/xir/zir/hir/their own.
Yes. It is good to have your standbys.

However if you think FBBB had selected good charities in the past, nothing prevents you from considering donating to those past charities in the future.

My top suggestion for you, is to plug in your current favorite charities into the Charity Navigator, scroll down to the bottom and find the "Charities Performing Similar Types of Work" section, and see if there is a better version of your favorite charity.

Here is an example comparing the "Susan G. Komen for the Cure" charity.
http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.c ... orgid=4509

In some cases it is extremely easy to find better more efficient charities than the most popular one for a given subject.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Parody Accountant wrote:check yer messages

you might have some
I have none. :?

Keating

Post by Keating »

deLurch wrote:I personally don't outsource my donation giving decisions. Bill Gates does, but it appears he found someone with similar goals. The United Way is another popular choice.

I still prefer for my donation dollars not to receive the haircut off the top. And I prefer to pick and evaluate.
I admit I don't donate much money, but when I do, I always prefer to research the organisations first too. I'm much more likely to donate my time to local organisations I support than money.

Keating

Post by Keating »

I've been having trouble sleeping this week. I have pretty decent sleep hygiene. I go to bed at a reasonable time, but end up feeling like I've spent the entire night conscious. Never quite awake enough to get up, but never quite asleep enough to feel rested.

We've had a warm spell here in early spring, with much warmer nights than usual, so it may just be that change in temperature. Daylights savings starting probably didn't help either.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Keating wrote:
Parody Accountant wrote:check yer messages

you might have some
I have none. :?
Me neither. And here was my hopes; really high.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Keating wrote:I've been having trouble sleeping this week. I have pretty decent sleep hygiene. I go to bed at a reasonable time, but end up feeling like I've spent the entire night conscious. Never quite awake enough to get up, but never quite asleep enough to feel rested.

We've had a warm spell here in early spring, with much warmer nights than usual, so it may just be that change in temperature. Daylights savings starting probably didn't help either.
Daylight savings? Putting some aside for a rainy day are we?

Keating

Post by Keating »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Keating wrote:I've been having trouble sleeping this week. I have pretty decent sleep hygiene. I go to bed at a reasonable time, but end up feeling like I've spent the entire night conscious. Never quite awake enough to get up, but never quite asleep enough to feel rested.

I've always thought daylight savings was a world wide conspiracy just to annoy me personally. This is why I need feminism.

H. Korban

Post by H. Korban »

Re Math: I belong to the small subset of people who do math all day, every day. When I am not writing equations I am writing code. (I mostly write C++, Lua and Python. I hate C++, but well, it delivers the performance I need.) In any case, I find that to properly understand math (not just do blind calculations), in general, is hard. Many mathematical concepts are very subtle, and it takes time to understand. For example, the most startling facts emerge, almost magically, in the theory of complex numbers. Many things which seem impossible with real numbers magically "materialize" when one uses complex numbers. For example, it allows one to sum divergent series. Here is a simple one:

S = 1-1+1-1+1-1 .....

Turns out that in some strange way this series sums to 1/2! How about:

S = 1 + 2^2 + 2^4 + 2^6 + 2^8 + .....

It is strange and bizarre, but in quantum mechanics and quantum field theory almost all problems of practical interest yield divergent series, which, rather miraculously, can still be summed to yield a finite and convergent answer! I find this type of surprising behavior to be really fascinating, and often, when I learn them for the first time, I find it hard to sleep from the mental excitement.

I should say that most often when I work on a difficult problem, and I write it down and move onto the next thing, I tend to almost immediately forget what I did. Not sure why this is the case, but in general as I get older I tend not to keep things in my mind any longer.

Finally: anyone who thinks clicking a couple of buttons and writing foolish text qualifies one to be called a "developer", is an idiot.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Keating wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:

I've always thought daylight savings was a world wide conspiracy just to annoy me personally. This is why I need feminism.
Queensland. Beautiful one day. Feminist utopia the next.

Scunner

Post by Scunner »

Firstly, I'm not dead. Sadly.

Secondly, somehow I ended up on Mike Booth's (somegreybloke) twitter yesterday. Without a word of a lie the top five or so Tweets were basically 'GamerGate are misogynist scum', 'saying you want to kill all men is a-okay!' and a retweet of Jon McIntosh. It was like a CliffNotes summary of these baboons. Still, at least it meant I didn't waste any effort finding out he's a tosser.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

welch wrote: Dude, nerds haven't been an underclass since everyone woke up and realized that Bill Gates, Larry Ellison and the rest were *billionaires* and effectively running all the things that matter in the modern world. If anything, nerds are at the top of the heap and have been for a long time. This myth of the poor oppressed nerd, as a generalization has to go. Society is killing off non-stem education as fast as it can, and schools that have to beg for a history book have more computers than they know what to do with. Are SOME nerds still bullied? Sure, so are some fat kids. But the idea that they're all still living the first half of "revenge of the nerds" is...nonsense and has been for some time.
Frontman fallacy. What you're saying is the equivalent of "Barack Obama is president of the United States, therefore black people are the most powerful people in America". While most successful IT entrepreneurs may be nerds, the vast majority of nerds aren't even IT nerds, never mind successful ones.

And I've never said nerds are an "underclass" or "oppressed", so stop putting words in my mouth. Most nerds do okay, but in my experience they tend to have a lingering inferiority complex from their childhood experiences.

Søren Lilholt

Post by Søren Lilholt »

fuzzy wrote:
paddybrown wrote: Yep. Consent is binary. Some things are, no matter what SJWs say.
Quantum consent contains components up, down, charm, strange, top, and bottom.

Apparently at the smash party, the last of these properties was missing.
I don't imagine there was much in the way of 'charm', either.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

x_?_x wrote:
piginthecity wrote:
x_?_x wrote:After Anita and Zoe's jaunt to the United Nations, I'm getting a bit nervous about the way things are trending for free speech on the internet...
I'm curious* as to what exactly A & Z's role was at that UN meeting.

Were they there as

i) Material witnesses to their own individual experiences as being single data points for the committee
ii) Independent 'experts' or researchers who were there to advise the committee on the extent of the 'problem'
iii) Consultants as a source of ideas about what to do about the 'problem'.

If I) is true, then Anita very much overplayed her role from what we saw. However, as her real objective was doubtless self-promotion as an authority then this served her purpose admirably.

It would be interesting to know whether anybody in that committee was taking what they said with a pinch of salt.

*Though not enough to do any work to find out
Did you see the "UN Women's" report?

Two blank citations? One citation went straight to someone's C:/ drive (no joke) - they had to pull it down.

That whole episode was so comically inept I'd almost say it was a troll attempt.
This whole "cyber-violence" thing. Were the experiences of Tim Hunt, whose treatment online had real-word negative consequences, considered? Or is it only "violence" if it's against women?

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Parody Accountant wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:[.img]http://imgur.com/CsePVtT.jpg[/img]

Love the last line :D

In my day punk bands had names that offend the squares like the Dead Kennedys.

[.img]http://i.imgur.com/YszkoDN.png[/img]

That the way it was and we liked it!
The child molesters were actually a pretty good punk band from roughly the same era.

[.youtube]9QTyoGE-CZM[/youtube]
Anyone remember The Battered Wives? A late 70s mostly-punk band that the Canadian feminists freaked out about. I had their first album not knowing that in just a couple of years I'd become one of those feminist extremists. The band was forced to change their name to The Wives, but it was too late - they'd already been burnt at the stake. Playlist of the whole album is at http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL10BFA156001AA6B7 .

Here are a few:
The Battered Wives - Everybody loves a Loser
[youtube]C3KRqn-z-Dk[/youtube]

The Battered Wives - You better be Right
[youtube]4Z2yPIO13KY[/youtube]

The Battered Wives - Uganda Stomp
[youtube]vzWtkg2FrJI[/youtube]
This one is a reggae/punk mix. About that lovable dictator Idi Amin.

And one more. This one's from my channel, where I set their one 'slow' song to a cloud time lapse.
The Battered Wives - Lover's Balls - 1978
[youtube]2156gkK1iWw[/youtube]

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

paddybrown wrote:
x_?_x wrote: Did you see the "UN Women's" report?

Two blank citations? One citation went straight to someone's C:/ drive (no joke) - they had to pull it down.

That whole episode was so comically inept I'd almost say it was a troll attempt.
This whole "cyber-violence" thing. Were the experiences of Tim Hunt, whose treatment online had real-word negative consequences, considered? Or is it only "violence" if it's against women?
Imagine if science had the same standards of evidence that seems to be the norm in social justice. We would have no way of saying that the Ken Hams and Discovery Institutes of the world should be taken less seriously than real scientists.
What science uses to weed out the lunacy of religious or pseudoscientific crackpot ideas is to use the process of peer review - which, to put it in simple terms, is just the practical application of skepticism.
I've always found it interesting that skepticism was one of the first targets of SJWs in this current round of the culture wars.
Peezus' 'divorce from skepticism', the dissmissive charges of 'hyperskepticism' whenever anyone either asks for evidence from them or points to evidence that they are wrong - these have led to a state where social justice warriordom has basically become a pseudoscience. There is no way to either prove or disprove their ideas of 'rape-culture' or 'the Patriarchy' because they simultaneously hold conflicting ideas and are ready at the drop of a hat to drop one and pick up the other in order to counter any argument.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

rayshul wrote:Why not read books by pitters?

FtB says I'm a great novelist. :D
I'd give your books a try. If you really are an author, that is. I have no idea if Melby is serious or deluded though. She may think you are someone you aren't. Everything sjw's say, I have to take with a grain of salt.

Feel free to dox your writing name to me by pm, if you are comfortable doing so.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Journalists Milo Yiannopolous and Lauren Southern ejected from Amber Rose SlutWalk by LAPD for asking questions, carrying signs.

Man from Planned Parenthood interferes with their interviews,

still... they got some priceless quotes in the 2nd half:

[youtube]2GsrqLt48og[/youtube]

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

It appears that the Honey Badgers have finally submitted an update on their lawsuit.

We filed our legal claim with the Alberta Provincial Court and the documents were served out of that court September 9th.
The defendants are Calgary Expo for breach of contract and injurious falsehood and the Mary Sue for incitement of breach of contract and injurious falsehood.
We sent the documents to the defendants September 18th. Calgary Expo has 25 days to respond after receipt. Mary Sue has 47 days to respond after receipt.
We are now waiting to hear back regarding their intended defence. Then we will work on our rebuttal.
Right now there isn't much more to say. This is a slow and boring process punctuated with brief moments of terror.
Edit: As requested additional documents Schedule A and B: http://wp.me/p4Tlez-DPb[1]
Link to legal documents:
http://honeybadgerbrigade.com/2015/10/0 ... documents/

franc

Post by franc »

Scented Nectar wrote:Anyone remember The Battered Wives? A late 70s mostly-punk band that the Canadian feminists freaked out about.
http://i.imgur.com/Ij1eFkX.jpg

Henry does a rip snorting version of Wire's ex-lion tamer, it's on youtube.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

deLurch wrote:It appears that the Honey Badgers have finally submitted an update on their lawsuit.

We filed our legal claim with the Alberta Provincial Court and the documents were served out of that court September 9th.
The defendants are Calgary Expo for breach of contract and injurious falsehood and the Mary Sue for incitement of breach of contract and injurious falsehood.
We sent the documents to the defendants September 18th. Calgary Expo has 25 days to respond after receipt. Mary Sue has 47 days to respond after receipt.
We are now waiting to hear back regarding their intended defence. Then we will work on our rebuttal.
Right now there isn't much more to say. This is a slow and boring process punctuated with brief moments of terror.
Edit: As requested additional documents Schedule A and B: http://wp.me/p4Tlez-DPb[1]
Link to legal documents:
http://honeybadgerbrigade.com/2015/10/0 ... documents/
Interesting comment from Show Me Your Goats at the bottom (highly downvoted, which is unfortunate):

From the papers:
1. In July 2014 the Plaintiff became aware that the Defendant Calgary Expo would hold its annual exhibition emphasizing comics, science fiction, horror, fantasy and pop culture from April 16 to 19, 2015 in Calgary, Alberta. The Plaintiff accordingly filed an application to register as an exhibitor at the Expo in order to set up a booth promoting its podcast as well as to sell related products and to benefit her career as an artist and comic book creator through her Xenospora website. The Plaintiff’s booth was identified by Calgary Expo as BF3821. The acceptance of the Plaintiff’s application constituted a binding contract in law.
SMYG comment:
This is incorrect. The original application was under the comics name and to promote the comic. Only later did the entirety of the HBB get involved and the booth applied for a name change and changed the content of the booth. This is an important distinction. Unless the HBB declared to the Con that they were not only changing the name but the approved content of the booth. The Expo will be able to win this easily by simply stating that HBB originally applied under false pretenses. Interesting that there is absolutely no mention of the change of the booth after the booth was originally accepted or the name change.
I don't believe the name change had shit to do with them being expelled form the convention, but this seems shady and SMYG is right to point to it. I feel there is potential for this to go badly for HBB.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

FREEZE PEACH COURT CASES ON THE GO

1. Honey Badgers vs Mary Sue & Calgary Expo
2. Eron Gjoni vs Zoe Quinn
3. Bahar Mustafa - Criminal Case(?)

There's a few others floating (Cernovich, etc) which are less prominent.

Malky

Post by Malky »

[quote="H. Korban"]Re Math: I belong to the small subset of people who do math all day, every day. When I am not writing equations I am writing code. (I mostly write C++, Lua and Python. I hate C++, but well, it delivers the performance I need.) In any case, I find that to properly understand math (not just do blind calculations), in general, is hard. Many mathematical concepts are very subtle, and it takes time to understand. For example, the most startling facts emerge, almost magically, in the theory of complex numbers. Many things which seem impossible with real numbers magically "materialize" when one uses complex numbers. For example, it allows one to sum divergent series. Here is a simple one:

S = 1-1+1-1+1-1 .....

Turns out that in some strange way this series sums to 1/2!

[quote]

Just to show my ignorance on this how does this sum to 1/2? If you plot alon a grap with the Y axis being the sum of the series and x the number of terms all points will be 1 or 0. The"average" of this would be a half but any sum must be only 1 or 0.

Short answer only please :)

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Gumby wrote:
Bhurzum wrote:King is a well deserved "master" of the craft although to be crushingly honest, some of his work is a chore to get through.
Can't disagree there. However, I was pleasantly surprised what a page-turner the 1000-page "11/22/63" is.
Barker (long may it rain paving slabs upon his head!) is an entirely different beast - darker, more twisted and perverted (in a good way) and laced with humor of the bleakest type.

"Dread" (short story from "Books of blood") and "The damnation game" are personal favorites.
I have yet to read any Barker, shame on me for that. I did see that movie "Hellraiser", and thought it was gawdawful. But I shouldn't count that as a strike against his books.
If you guys 'n' gals haven't already tried him, give Brian Lumley a read.

http://www.brianlumley.com/

His "Necroscope" series is vast in scale, spans entire libraries worth of books (only a slight exaggeration) and has more sex, violence and bloody gore than ten mofo smash parties combined! But, for the love of Hastur, you need to start from book one or you'll be utterly confused!
Added to my list, thanks.
I remember when Lovecraft books were all but unattainable (at least in the UK - they had a brief presence from around 1970-1975 but then disappeared from bookshops). However, (I don't know when this started) Lumley was ALWAYS there - I've not checked, but my guess is that itwass a 'nym to put him right where people would be looking for ol' HPL on the horror shelves.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

heddle

Post by heddle »

Malky wrote:
H. Korban wrote:Re Math: I belong to the small subset of people who do math all day, every day. When I am not writing equations I am writing code. (I mostly write C++, Lua and Python. I hate C++, but well, it delivers the performance I need.) In any case, I find that to properly understand math (not just do blind calculations), in general, is hard. Many mathematical concepts are very subtle, and it takes time to understand. For example, the most startling facts emerge, almost magically, in the theory of complex numbers. Many things which seem impossible with real numbers magically "materialize" when one uses complex numbers. For example, it allows one to sum divergent series. Here is a simple one:

S = 1-1+1-1+1-1 .....

Turns out that in some strange way this series sums to 1/2!

Just to show my ignorance on this how does this sum to 1/2? If you plot alon a grap with the Y axis being the sum of the series and x the number of terms all points will be 1 or 0. The"average" of this would be a half but any sum must be only 1 or 0.

It doesn't sum to 1/2 in the conventional sense. That is, is does not pass any convergence tests (ratio test, root test, integral test, etc). It sums to 1/2 only in the sense you indicated, that the partial sums (adding up not infinite, but a finite number N of the terms) alternates between 1 and 0, so on average the partial sum is 1/2. It is said to effectively sum to 1/2.

Nothing, (except, of course, for Richard Carrier using Bayes' theorem to prove that it is 106.329% certain than Richard Carrier is a genius with legions of avowed fans from all nations, tribes, and tongues) is more mind-blowing than this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1_%2B_2_% ... _%E2%8B%AF

Søren Lilholt

Post by Søren Lilholt »

free thoughtpolice wrote:

The school has declined to comment on the incident, but the Archdiocese of Cincinnati released a statement to Fox19.com saying "Judge Patrick Dinkelacker listened to the plaintiff's arguments yesterday, rejected them, and dismissed the complaint against the school. We aren't going to comment any further on particular issues concerning our students."
Judge Dinkelacker? What are the chances he had a nickname in school like the Dinkless Wonder?
I'd say 'Dick Lacker' was more obvious (and thus more likely).

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

Skep tickle wrote:One more bee in the ol' bonnet to shake loose before catching up on work, watching a >10 yr old TV series (because that's how au courant we are), and returning to mostly-lurking mode.

Foundation Beyond Belief has announced the 5 organizations to which they're funneling donations this quarter, one in each of their standard categories, link. They've been pretty even-handed so far, within the limits of my only occasionally noticing which orgs they've picked. But this time there seems to be a theme.

Below are the 5 new picks, each under its FBB topic heading w/ link to the org's website, with a quote from the org's mission & vision until its gender focus was revealed (the focus of its charitable recipients and/or vision). Then I added a bit of color to that particular info. :)

Education - Global Village Project
Our mission is to develop a strong educational foundation for each student within a caring community using a strengths-based approach and intensive instruction in English language and literacy, academic subjects, and the arts.

Our vision is to ensure that all refugee girls with interrupted schooling have access to the education necessary to pursue their dreams.

Our program is designed specifically to equip recently arrived refugee girls with the academic and social knowledge needed for success in a high school or equivalency program.
Health - Songtaba
Songtaba's mission is to work with Gender minded human rights organizations and individuals to lobby and advocate for gender equality in the region. Our vision is to see a society free from inequality in which women and other vulnerable groups enjoy their fundamental rights.
Songtaba's webpage has 2 quotes scrolling:
Women are the largest untapped reservoir of talent in the world. -Hillary Rodham Clinton

If you want something said, ask a man; if you want something done, ask a woman. - Margaret Thatcher
Challenge the Gap - Texas Muslim Women's Foundation
Founded and run by Muslim women, Texas Muslim Women’s Foundation empowers, promotes and supports all women and their families—a mission that ultimately creates stronger communities.
Natural World - EcoViva
Mission: EcoViva works in partnership and solidarity with community-led organizations in Central America organized to achieve environmental sustainability, economic security, social justice and peace. The vision and implementation of our programs come from our local partners. Vision: Vibrant, democratic communities that protect and restore their natural resources and ecosystems. Everyone has the opportunity for education, access to basic services and a dignified livelihood. Local leaders, especially women and youth, are building an inclusive democracy.
Human Rights - Transgender Law Center
Transgender Law Center changes law, policy, and attitudes so that all people can live safely, authentically, and free from discrimination regardless of their gender identity or expression .
The Transgender Law Center comes across as the most gender-equitable (or at least -neutral) of these orgs. Go them.
This shit is everywhere

RonSwanson

Post by RonSwanson »

heddle wrote: It doesn't sum to 1/2 in the conventional sense. That is, is does not pass any convergence tests (ratio test, root test, integral test, etc). It sums to 1/2 only in the sense you indicated, that the partial sums (adding up not infinite, but a finite number N of the terms) alternates between 1 and 0, so on average the partial sum is 1/2. It is said to effectively sum to 1/2.
Intuitively that makes sense. Would it be correct to say that if the first integer were -1 instead of +1 then the sum would be -1/2? Because then the partial sum would alternate between -1 and 0?

welch

Post by welch »

paddybrown wrote:
welch wrote: Dude, nerds haven't been an underclass since everyone woke up and realized that Bill Gates, Larry Ellison and the rest were *billionaires* and effectively running all the things that matter in the modern world. If anything, nerds are at the top of the heap and have been for a long time. This myth of the poor oppressed nerd, as a generalization has to go. Society is killing off non-stem education as fast as it can, and schools that have to beg for a history book have more computers than they know what to do with. Are SOME nerds still bullied? Sure, so are some fat kids. But the idea that they're all still living the first half of "revenge of the nerds" is...nonsense and has been for some time.
Frontman fallacy. What you're saying is the equivalent of "Barack Obama is president of the United States, therefore black people are the most powerful people in America". While most successful IT entrepreneurs may be nerds, the vast majority of nerds aren't even IT nerds, never mind successful ones.

And I've never said nerds are an "underclass" or "oppressed", so stop putting words in my mouth. Most nerds do okay, but in my experience they tend to have a lingering inferiority complex from their childhood experiences.
When black politicians run the companies that control virtually all of the worlds computational resources and therefore things like: Banking, Other finance, aviation and the rest, you just let me know. One black president and a handful of other black politicians are a very different thing from the tech companies that now run well...everything.

As far as the rest, spare me the "i didn't actually use that word shit". the implication that somehow nerds are still some form of bagged on morlocks is pretty clear, and it's that mythos that helps excuse the appalling shit nerds do. As far as inferiority complexes, that ain't because they're nerds. What fucking major group of nerds isn't held up in high esteem these days?

Comic Book nerds? Riiiight. Comiccon is one of, if not the largest events in the country, SD version in particular, and you can't kick a theatre or a TV set without 4 people with super powers falling out.

Oh, wait, it's the maker nerds. No, no, they're now exalted to with all the Maker this, and maker thats.

Gamers? Mayyyybe, but once you step outside of a handful of controversies, being a gamer is about as much of an underclass as driving a car.

being a "nerd" is no longer any form of underclass or even a reason to be shit on. everyone is a nerd, everyone is a geek. Even fucking hipsters.

Front man fallacy nothing, maybe you should stop projecting from either a long-dead stereotype or personal experience.

Malky

Post by Malky »

[/quote][/quote]

It doesn't sum to 1/2 in the conventional sense. That is, is does not pass any convergence tests (ratio test, root test, integral test, etc). It sums to 1/2 only in the sense you indicated, that the partial sums (adding up not infinite, but a finite number N of the terms) alternates between 1 and 0, so on average the partial sum is 1/2. It is said to effectively sum to 1/2.

Nothing, (except, of course, for Richard Carrier using Bayes' theorem to prove that it is 106.329% certain than Richard Carrier is a genius with legions of avowed fans from all nations, tribes, and tongues) is more mind-blowing than this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1_%2B_2_% ... _%E2%8B%AF[/quote]

Thanks

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

franc wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:Anyone remember The Battered Wives? A late 70s mostly-punk band that the Canadian feminists freaked out about.

As usual with covers, that did nothing for me. Mind you, I don't know the original. However, I've just paused to laugh after starting "I Have Come To Kill You", which is obviously an almost-cover of something else. I like that one. :lol:

Parody Accountant

Scented Necter, if you're new to wire, stick to Pink Flag.

best song though is 1 2 X U . Top 5 punk songs of all time imo. I think it was a b side from that era, but not on the original lp.

[youtube]FdNS4g8vOnc[/youtube]

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Scented Nectar wrote:
rayshul wrote:Why not read books by pitters?

FtB says I'm a great novelist. :D
I'd give your books a try. If you really are an author, that is. I have no idea if Melby is serious or deluded though. She may think you are someone you aren't. Everything sjw's say, I have to take with a grain of salt.

Feel free to dox your writing name to me by pm, if you are comfortable doing so.
Give us a clue Rayshul - are your books about a boy wizard or sparkly vampires?

Parody Accountant

uploadfromtaptalk1444222825519.jpg
(551.4 KiB) Downloaded 277 times

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Parody Accountant wrote:Scented Necter, if you're new to wire, stick to Pink Flag.

best song though is 1 2 X U . Top 5 punk songs of all time imo. I think it was a b side from that era, but not on the original lp.

[youtube]FdNS4g8vOnc[/youtube]
I like it. During the 80s, when under Matriarchal Grand Command to only listen to 'wimmins' music, and even then POLITICAL 'wimmins' music, I lost touch with punk and other new music, and never caught back up. If it wasn't for that, I'd have kept up with all the punk and new wave, not just the early stuff.

So, instead of listening to the good stuff, I volunteered (worked for free while the company owner made money) for a women's music production company. Most of the acts were dreadful in retrospect, but they sang about the right things. They were politically correct. Also, a crappy comedian, Kate Clinton, who the company brought to town a time or two.

The good thing is that there is a ton of old, but new to me, music to catch up on during the rest of my life.

Oh, here is that comedian. If you don't find her funny, you are not a feminist! Who says feminists have no sense of humour? I do. Proof:

[youtube]_nbrqnVt0Tw[/youtube]

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Really? wrote:
Next you're going to tell us that Depression Quest is not a real video game and required little to no actual programming that Zoe Quinn didn't even do herself.
If he doesn't, I could fulfill that role for you.

franc

Post by franc »

Scented Nectar wrote:
franc wrote:

As usual with covers, that did nothing for me. Mind you, I don't know the original. However, I've just paused to laugh after starting "I Have Come To Kill You", which is obviously an almost-cover of something else. I like that one. :lol:
Oh, you have to be a Pink Flag aficionado to fully appreciate the cover. Probably my favourite ever slab of vinyl. It basically predicted the next two decades of alt.rock and the only people I know that have heard of it are other musos and they tend to rave about it even more than I do. Essential for any serious collection. 21 songs in 34 minutes. It is a work of pure genius. Full thing here (the bonus tracks kinda ruin the purity of the original but).

http://i.imgur.com/vsG4KSY.jpg

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Gumby wrote:
Never got past integral calculus, myself. My biggest math achievement is that my checkbook is balanced to the penny and has been for years :lol:
Oh fuck me, are you one of those cunts that stands at the checkout for five minutes writing out their check, then noting the check amount on another page, then searching for ID for the check, then waiting for the cashier to print the check, then putting the ID back in your purse, then putting the check book back in your purse, then putting the grocery bags into your cart, then fucking off out of the way of everybody else?

Are you??

If he is, he'll be second against the wall when the revolution comes! I hate those fuckers. The only thing worse are old people with those little rubber change purses who have to pay exact change to the penny. They'll be first.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

welch wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:
<many things, but I'm only going to reference this:> The rancor provoked by the Cuntz and Child Abuse mirrors recent controversies over the names of the rock bands Viet Cong and Black Pussy. These two groups, who consist of white men, took on handles that many consider to be derogatory toward Vietnamese people and women of color, respectively, and though they may not have had nefarious intent when choosing them, those names have drawn righteous anger. Even if Viet Cong and Black Pussy meant no harm with these choices, they exhibited a stunning sense of cluelessness and/or privilege. Viet Cong have vowed to change their name next year; Black Pussy plan to keep theirs.

(again, bolding as in original)
While Viet Cong may have been used derisively by white folks over in the US, it's not actually, as far as I can tell, offensive in and of itself.
I've had a go-around with that when I was in the military. Social Actions said we shouldn't use that, or many other racially charged words, unless we wanted to get into trouble. It's not a denigration, per se, btw. But a lot of Vietnamese who were naturalized as americans after fleeing Viet Nam and spending a lot of time as refugees and boat people didn't much care for it.

It's a western contraction of -- Việt Nam Cộng-sản -- Vietnamese Communist. So it's not like 'nigger' or something. But, I think if you want an in depth answer of why it's not racists and should used at will, you should query the Steersbot... He's hip to all that jazz.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Tribble wrote:
Gumby wrote:
Never got past integral calculus, myself. My biggest math achievement is that my checkbook is balanced to the penny and has been for years :lol:
Oh fuck me, are you one of those cunts that stands at the checkout for five minutes writing out their check, then noting the check amount on another page, then searching for ID for the check, then waiting for the cashier to print the check, then putting the ID back in your purse, then putting the check book back in your purse, then putting the grocery bags into your cart, then fucking off out of the way of everybody else?

Are you??

If he is, he'll be second against the wall when the revolution comes! I hate those fuckers. The only thing worse are old people with those little rubber change purses who have to pay exact change to the penny. They'll be first.
You think that's bad? How about people who bring more than 8 items into the express lane? :x

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Søren Lilholt wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:

The school has declined to comment on the incident, but the Archdiocese of Cincinnati released a statement to Fox19.com saying "Judge Patrick Dinkelacker listened to the plaintiff's arguments yesterday, rejected them, and dismissed the complaint against the school. We aren't going to comment any further on particular issues concerning our students."
Judge Dinkelacker? What are the chances he had a nickname in school like the Dinkless Wonder?
I'd say 'Dick Lacker' was more obvious (and thus more likely).
You didn't go far enough -- Dick Licker.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Scented Nectar wrote:
Tribble wrote:

Are you??

You think that's bad? How about people who bring more than 8 items into the express lane? :x
Actually, that's usually not a problem. The difference in scanning between 8 & 10 items is negligible. So it never gets my goat.

But those little old groping around in the change purse and counting it out, penny at a time, looking for new combinations of small change to empty as much of the purse out as possible... Sometimes I feel like saying -- Don't waste it counting out change! Live the rest of your life because you have so little left!

But I don't. Because nothing would served beyond making myself look like an impatient asshole.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Tribble wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
Tribble wrote:If he is, he'll be second against the wall when the revolution comes! I hate those fuckers. The only thing worse are old people with those little rubber change purses who have to pay exact change to the penny. They'll be first.
Actually, that's usually not a problem. The difference in scanning between 8 & 10 items is negligible. So it never gets my goat.

But those little old groping around in the change purse and counting it out, penny at a time, looking for new combinations of small change to empty as much of the purse out as possible... Sometimes I feel like saying -- Don't waste it counting out change! Live the rest of your life because you have so little left!

But I don't. Because nothing would served beyond making myself look like an impatient asshole.
Impatient asshole is one of my pronouns. :D

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

deLurch wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:For the most part I agree, but FBBB seemed like an opportunity to learn about a wider variety of secular orgs doing direct charitable work, & have FBBB do the work of checking them out. I guess I'll go back to the tried-and-true ones I already know. My personal preference is to focus more on life-saving anyway (clean water, food, & medical relief work in areas where people are physically suffering, even literally dying, in higher than average #s from lack of these resources). To each his/her/xir/zir/hir/their own.
Yes. It is good to have your standbys.

However if you think FBBB had selected good charities in the past, nothing prevents you from considering donating to those past charities in the future.

My top suggestion for you, is to plug in your current favorite charities into the Charity Navigator, scroll down to the bottom and find the "Charities Performing Similar Types of Work" section, and see if there is a better version of your favorite charity.

Here is an example comparing the "Susan G. Komen for the Cure" charity.
http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.c ... orgid=4509

In some cases it is extremely easy to find better more efficient charities than the most popular one for a given subject.
Thanks for the tip on finding related charities. For my interests, the ones most similar are religious-based organizations, which probably do fine work but I prefer to give to secular ones.

One observation: of the orgs that Charity Navigator suggests as related, Muslim orgs are the ones with highest % rating by Charity Search's criteria. Looks like salaries for their executive staff may be lower than other orgs. Otherwise, not sure why the difference.

Charity Navigator only rates fairly large orgs. For those, it sure feels like rating by proportion spent on the org's "programs" makes sense. But that may not be a good reflection - or, not the best reflection - of the org's effectiveness, see below.

FBBB had Carolyn Fiennes as the keynote speaker for their 1st conference 1.25 yrs ago - she has been working on evidence-based evaluation of charities, including their effectiveness at addressing the problem(s) they're trying to address. I've read her book "It Ain't What You Give, It's The Way That You Give It" & found it interesting. Selected pages from her group's website:

"Giving Evidence" - http://giving-evidence.com/about/

"Good charities spend more on administration than less good charities spend" - http://giving-evidence.com/2013/05/02/admin-data/
Admin costs are discussed in detail in It Ain’t What You Give, and when we understand what’s included, we can understand the pattern these data show. ‘Admin’ includes systems for capturing learning, for improving, for reducing costs. It’s spending on those things which enables good performance. Scrimping on them is often a false economy.
Of course, that's not all Admin costs include. But I found/find this "take" on charities' work & finances to be interesting.

John D

Post by John D »

Scented Nectar wrote:
Oh, here is that comedian. If you don't find her funny, you are not a feminist! Who says feminists have no sense of humour? I do. Proof:

[youtube]_nbrqnVt0Tw[/youtube]
She says: "Polyamory is the new monogamy."

What? Even polyamorists don't think it is the new monogamy. This doesn't even make sense.

H. Korban

Post by H. Korban »

heddle wrote: It doesn't sum to 1/2 in the conventional sense. That is, is does not pass any convergence tests (ratio test, root test, integral test, etc). It sums to 1/2 only in the sense you indicated, that the partial sums (adding up not infinite, but a finite number N of the terms) alternates between 1 and 0, so on average the partial sum is 1/2. It is said to effectively sum to 1/2.

Nothing, (except, of course, for Richard Carrier using Bayes' theorem to prove that it is 106.329% certain than Richard Carrier is a genius with legions of avowed fans from all nations, tribes, and tongues) is more mind-blowing than this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1_%2B_2_% ... _%E2%8B%AF
Actually, your statement is not quite correct. It actually does sum to 1/2 in a very precise sense, not in some average sense. Essentially, one needs to define a "Summation Machine" with some reasonable properties, and then such sums can be computed, including the other one I showed (it sums to -1/3) and the one on the Wikipedia page. However, the series is divergent. (Any series which does not converge is divergent. Does not matter if the values oscillate and never go to infinity).

Also, for an infinite series like this one can NOT assume that commutation and other arithmetic laws hold. I.e. one can assume (a+b)+c = a+(b+c). So one can't add pairs of terms unless the series converges strictly.

In any case, the real reason this "works" is connected with the process of "analytic continuation" in the complex plane. Once one knows the series expansion of a holomorphic function in a some open region of the complex plane, one can extended it outside that region. These divergent "sums" basically are just doing that.

In any case, heddle, you probably know all this, so why am I saying it?

BTW: I generally refrain from commenting here, even though I enjoy reading the antics of baboons. Makes me thank my stars that I am not one of those broken, foolish monkeys. However, one must say that Semen Fethishist Dr. Richard Carrier, PhD, is an idiot. Whosoever thinks his books are worth the paper on which they are printed are also idiots. There is a reason no one except some atheists take him seriously. Atheists general like to hear that Jesus did not exist and so are ready to entertain arguments which support this view. There is absolutely no sense in using the word "probability" in the context of historical events. Bayes theorem has nothing to do with it. Something either happened or did not. Unless one can run the same universe a huge number of times, probabilities are meaningless. Either my grandfather existed or did not. Of course, given that I am typing this he did. If Dick's fans are reading this, please ask him to stick to delivering cream pies on his legion of girlfriends with his average caucasian pee-pee.

Malky

Post by Malky »

<Snip>

If he is, he'll be second against the wall when the revolution comes! I hate those fuckers. The only thing worse are old people with those little rubber change purses who have to pay exact change to the penny. They'll be first.[/quote]
You think that's bad? How about people who bring more than 8 items into the express lane? :x[/quote]

But I don't. Because nothing would served beyond making myself look like an impatient asshole.[/quote]

I consider the worst variant of this is those people who go through the whole checkout procedure until it is time to pay and only then begin to think about how they are going to pay. Once they realise they have to pay (who would've thought it!) begin going through their pockets to find cheque purse etc.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Bhurzum wrote: I made the fatal mistake of reading "The eyes of the dragon" to my kids (bedtime story thing) and promptly turned them both into fantasy nuts overnight. King is a well deserved "master" of the craft although to be crushingly honest, some of his work is a chore to get through.

The "Dark tower" books are a personal favorite.

Barker (long may it rain paving slabs upon his head!) is an entirely different beast - darker, more twisted and perverted (in a good way) and laced with humor of the bleakest type.

"Dread" (short story from "Books of blood") and "The damnation game" are personal favorites.

If you guys 'n' gals haven't already tried him, give Brian Lumley a read.

http://www.brianlumley.com/

His "Necroscope" series is vast in scale, spans entire libraries worth of books (only a slight exaggeration) and has more sex, violence and bloody gore than ten mofo smash parties combined! But, for the love of Hastur, you need to start from book one or you'll be utterly confused!
Clive Barker was fuckin great, but he's gone off the boil in recent years. Mister B Gone reads like a first draft, and I haven't heard great things about the much anticipated Scarlet Gospels, alas. And yeah, Brian Lumley - I like his stuff, a very underrated dude. His short story The Thief Immortal is just a fuckin fantastic vampire tale - one of the best, IMO.

If you're into horror, do this if you haven't already: read some Ramsey Campbell! I recommend his large collection of shorts (he works best with short stories) Alone With The Horrors. He really is the most disturbing, unsettling writer I've ever read. Seriously, his short story 'Again' - just absolute fucking disturbed genius. No spoilers, but just one final, three word sentence at the end of the tale leaves you absolutely reeling. Cannot recommend Ramsey Campbell highly enough. True, he's not to everyone's taste - hence his obscurity - probably because his writing style alone is so strange and hallucinogenic. But if you're lucky enough to 'get' Campbell, you'll be amazed and pretty damn unsettled by what he writes.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

So, if SJWs started meddling with C++ like they are with Linux, would it be called C+++ ?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

I'm serious about registering a booth at SK8, but i wont have the spare $300 until i get this little Appy into training in a week or two.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Malky wrote:<Snip>

You think that's bad? How about people who bring more than 8 items into the express lane? :x[/quote]

But I don't. Because nothing would served beyond making myself look like an impatient asshole.[/quote]

I consider the worst variant of this is those people who go through the whole checkout procedure until it is time to pay and only then begin to think about how they are going to pay. Once they realise they have to pay (who would've thought it!) begin going through their pockets to find cheque purse etc.[/quote]

When I used to work on a shop till the one thing that always held up the queue was women searching for their purses. Despite having stood there for ages it never crossed their mind to find it before they got to the check out. Running items through was actually very fast, the hold ups was always the payment.

This is an important social issue on par with open legs on seats.

#checkthosepurses

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

rayshul wrote:FREEZE PEACH COURT CASES ON THE GO

1. Honey Badgers vs Mary Sue & Calgary Expo
2. Eron Gjoni vs Zoe Quinn
3. Bahar Mustafa - Criminal Case(?)

There's a few others floating (Cernovich, etc) which are less prominent.
I had no clue Cernovich was opening a court case against someone. I knew he was a lawyer, and had actually made a serious threat of a lawsuit, but was unaware that he had actually started legal proceedings.

feathers

Post by feathers »

welch wrote:they're kids who have been fed a bill of goods and are now learning the truth of it the hard way.
Web sites are made of functions!

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

[youtube]R_hTO1f32fk[/youtube]

They go by Nothing But Enemies most of the time, probably to actually get advertisable gigs.

Also, just because:

[youtube]_9TNWGcJD1E[/youtube]

I remember a few people whined about their album cover back in the day. They're from Austin, surprisingly enough.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:I'm serious about registering a booth at SK8, but i wont have the spare $300 until i get this little Appy into training in a week or two.
Would you go & "man" the booth?

Or maybe someone else is free. Maybe the Honeybadgers could staff it for you. :)

Malky

Post by Malky »

H. Korban wrote: - Snip

Actually, your statement is not quite correct. It actually does sum to 1/2 in a very precise sense, not in some average sense. Essentially, one needs to define a "Summation Machine" with some reasonable properties, and then such sums can be computed, including the other one I showed (it sums to -1/3) and the one on the Wikipedia page. However, the series is divergent. (Any series which does not converge is divergent. Does not matter if the values oscillate and never go to infinity).

Also, for an infinite series like this one can NOT assume that commutation and other arithmetic laws hold. I.e. one can assume (a+b)+c = a+(b+c). So one can't add pairs of terms unless the series converges strictly.

In any case, the real reason this "works" is connected with the process of "analytic continuation" in the complex plane. Once one knows the series expansion of a holomorphic function in a some open region of the complex plane, one can extended it outside that region. These divergent "sums" basically are just doing that.

In any case, heddle, you probably know all this, so why am I saying it? Yes but I didn't!

BTW: I generally refrain from commenting here, even though I enjoy reading the antics of baboons. Makes me thank my stars that I am not one of those broken, foolish monkeys. However, one must say that Semen Fethishist Dr. Richard Carrier, PhD, is an idiot. Whosoever thinks his books are worth the paper on which they are printed are also idiots. There is a reason no one except some atheists take him seriously. Atheists general like to hear that Jesus did not exist and so are ready to entertain arguments which support this view. There is absolutely no sense in using the word "probability" in the context of historical events. Bayes theorem has nothing to do with it. Something either happened or did not. Unless one can run the same universe a huge number of times, probabilities are meaningless. Either my grandfather existed or did not. Of course, given that I am typing this he did. If Dick's fans are reading this, please ask him to stick to delivering cream pies on his legion of girlfriends with his average caucasian pee-pee.
Ok I can see I will have to do some work :( - but thanks for this - completely agree with the comment on Carrier