a

Billy The Hillbilly

Re: Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Post by Billy The Hillbilly »

drill

Billy The Hillbilly

Post by Billy The Hillbilly »

:cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc: :cdc:

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Does Affirmative Action Create Mismatches Between Students and Universities?
The debate over ‘mismatch theory’
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc ... te/420321/

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Ed Brayton, who left FTB because Peez had become too toxic:

Things That Make Me Ashamed to Be an American
Gautama Brayton wrote:… Predictably, incredibly bigoted and stupid assholes came crawling out from under their rock to rage….

.. Arrested under what law, you fucking moron? ....

... These are just racist, bigoted assholes venting their racist, bigoted assholery on the world. I genuinely hate these people. I mean seriously hate them with the fire of a thousand suns and I have no desire whatsoever to understand them or coddle them or try to be nice about it. Fuck each and every one of them, they are everything that I despise in this world.
Brayton weites as if he were a twelve year old who just discovered curse words.

Ed,you aren't " edgy" , you lack communication skills.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

I'm pretty sure BTHB is trolling. Might need some confirmation first, though...

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

This, ladies and gentlemen, is the "tribe I'm supposed to belong to. Skip to 1:15

[youtube]3O72lItS4OA[/youtube]

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Spike13 wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Ed Brayton, who left FTB because Peez had become too toxic:

Things That Make Me Ashamed to Be an American
Gautama Brayton wrote:… Predictably, incredibly bigoted and stupid assholes came crawling out from under their rock to rage….

.. Arrested under what law, you fucking moron? ....

... These are just racist, bigoted assholes venting their racist, bigoted assholery on the world. I genuinely hate these people. I mean seriously hate them with the fire of a thousand suns and I have no desire whatsoever to understand them or coddle them or try to be nice about it. Fuck each and every one of them, they are everything that I despise in this world.
Brayton weites as if he were a twelve year old who just discovered curse words.

Ed,you aren't " edgy" , you lack communication skills.
It's a commonly seen yet sad state of affairs when a person, usually a mong, tries to act angry and outraged but chooses to censor themselves by only using the correct, in-group insults. That's why you end up with angsty, inarticulate tripe like " I mean seriously hate them with the fire of a thousand suns" and "assholes venting their racist, bigoted assholery on the world" that sounds utterly piss-weak.
"Oh no, you called me an asshole... Again. I'm so hurt."

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Q) Does society generally view the 3 dots emanating from any childishly drawn cock as representative of jizz or piss?

(I said piss. My lass said jizz. We still aren't talking to each other)

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I'm pretty sure BTHB is trolling. Might need some confirmation first, though...
Howay, Phil...
http://thiswastv.files.wordpress.com/20 ... umbo_2.png

Really?

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Another example of Ed's witty repartee and vast vocabulary was his famous reply to Thunderf00t's pointing out the sinking ship that FTB is.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Q) Does society generally view the 3 dots emanating from any childishly drawn cock as representative of jizz or piss?

Depends on the context where the spraying penis is used.

Ex. In a reply toa poor or unintelligent comment,urine

For a Carrier post jizz is called for

For Charlie sheen or Elsye it's a biblical case of the clap.

John D

Post by John D »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Q) Does society generally view the 3 dots emanating from any childishly drawn cock as representative of jizz or piss?

I always assumed it was jizz. But I am no artist!

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Tigzy wrote:In case anyone thinks CFI's jettisoning of Melody Hensley heralds a programme of shaking off the SJW dead wood, think again. Brian Engler has been appointed to CFI's baord of directors.

So who's Brian Engler, you ask?
“I identify as a secularist, an atheist, a humanist, and a skeptic,” said Engler. “I am also a reasonable and responsible member of our shared society, and therefore consider it incumbent upon me to put these values into practice through activism, including on social justice issues.”
Okay, you say. So why should you care?

Because Brian, though you may not have heard of him, is in-deep with just about every FTB SJW atheist going. One of the funny things I noticed when perusing the social media posts of our FTB chums for the past couple of years is how often this name - Brian Engler - would crop up, favouriting and liking posts made by such luminaries of dimness as Svan, Benson and our dear old Mel. In fact, I learned of his appointment from mad ol Mel's FB page, where she exclaims that his appointment is 'one of the best decisions CFI has made.' Which in itself should serve as a warning shot, let alone the fact that the post was 'liked' by such folks as Dana Chunter, Dreary Miri, Zvan, Sally Syringe - even Oolon (lol - sorry, the 'lol' is kind of a habit when it comes to him. lol)

This dude is well-in with the FTB crowd, and yet - how many here have heard of him? I'll say this - watch this fucker. He's been far too quiet for a 'veteran activist and ally'.

http://www.centerforinquiry.net/news/engler_board/

(Note that the dude's pretty old and almost as nuclear white as Zvan, but his buddies have let that pass. Apparently, it's only bad to be old, white & male when you're Richard Dawkins)
I haven't read any of his writings, and he hasn't even started his position yet. I am going to withhold judgement, positive or negative, until I see what he does with his new position.

Guilt by association is not sufficient evidence.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

John D wrote:

I always assumed it was jizz. But I am no artist!
I can fall out with you too, John.

feathers

Post by feathers »

If said cock is in an excited (erect) state, most likely jizz.

Exception: morning weed induced by full bladder.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2s68rjq.jpg

feathers

Post by feathers »

deLurch wrote:I haven't read any of his writings, and he hasn't even started his position yet. I am going to withhold judgement, positive or negative, until I see what he does with his new position.

Would you trust someone who's been sleeping in the same room with a Body Snatcher?

feathers

Post by feathers »

feathers wrote:Exception: morning weed induced by full bladder.
Weed, wood, tomayto tomahto.

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

jg64 wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:Okay, I'm logged in now. Forgot my password before.

Anyway.

I'll be blunt. This news hit me hard. It hit me hard when I first heard he had cancer, but I thought at least another ten years. Two years if he's lucky... god. I don't know how to cope. The worst thing is I don't have anything else to focus on. I don't have a family of my own. I don't have kids, a wife, girlfriend, that sort of thing. I'm unemployed (I've searched hundreds of jobs, no one wants a college dropout, this despite the fact I've embellished it seeing as I've barely worked a day in my life), I live at home with my parents still (which makes it all the more painful), I get welfare but not much (which is better than nothing, granted, but most of it goes to rent and the rest to support my dad who unfortunately when he was young got screwed over gambling and has been millions in debt ever since); what am I supposed to do? I feel pathetic, I feel like I've let him down.

He's been my rock for 27 years. He's kept me sane. He's insanely cunning and knows all kinds of things. He's an experienced carpenter, electrician, musician, most things I know I learned from him (and I would have learned so much more if I hadn't been so damned stubborn), and soon he'll be just... gone. I spent the last few hours just staring blankly. I am not coping well with this at all. Fuck. Fucking cancer. Fucking disease. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck!

Fuck.

Sorry all.
I a, also very sorry to hear this - how awful for you both. Although there is nothing good about the situation, your dad is lucky to have you. Find time to be kind to yourself as well, if you can.

blitzem

Post by blitzem »

another lurker wrote:@Matt

They already covered the 2.000 year thingie
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... -old-book/
Read that. Found this one to be much more amusing. In a sad, I weep for the future kind of amusing:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressiv ... m-the-sun/

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Just think of women as toilets and it makes no difference!

CuntajusRationality

Post by CuntajusRationality »

blitzem wrote:

Read that. Found this one to be much more amusing. In a sad, I weep for the future kind of amusing:

Myers wrote about this as well and it's pretty cringeworthy.

https://archive.is/xybOl
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ence-free/

Here's the gist of it:
PZ Myers wrote:Everyone is talking about that stupid town that voted against solar energy because it would suck up the energy of the sun. So I read the story from the local paper, and hey, it wasn’t as stupid as it was made out to be, and there are actually valid arguments against solar farms.

I’m entirely in favor of more wind and solar power, but let’s not pretend there are no problems with them. The residents of Woodland, NC brought up real concerns.
PZ Myers wrote:I’d like to see more solar energy, but let’s recognize that it’s not without ecological consequences, and especially if you’re buying up fallow land that has other utility and other potential, it’s not crazy for a place to decide that maybe it’s in their best long term interests.

I’m not just being a luddite (usually I’m the opposite). But it is fair to point out that solar is going to have huge land use concerns, isn’t going to bring much revenue to a community, has the potential to be a source of toxins, and isn’t exactly an attraction to make the place better for residents.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

blitzem wrote:

Did you read the actual actile? People in the town are more upset about land being used for solar farms, that doesn't offer any direct benefit to the town, instead of being developed for businesses.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

CuntajusRationality wrote:
blitzem wrote:

Myers wrote about this as well and it's pretty cringeworthy.

https://archive.is/xybOl
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ence-free/

Here's the gist of it:
PZ Myers wrote:Everyone is talking about that stupid town that voted against solar energy because it would suck up the energy of the sun. So I read the story from the local paper, and hey, it wasn’t as stupid as it was made out to be, and there are actually valid arguments against solar farms.

I’m entirely in favor of more wind and solar power, but let’s not pretend there are no problems with them. The residents of Woodland, NC brought up real concerns.
PZ Myers wrote:I’d like to see more solar energy, but let’s recognize that it’s not without ecological consequences, and especially if you’re buying up fallow land that has other utility and other potential, it’s not crazy for a place to decide that maybe it’s in their best long term interests.

I’m not just being a luddite (usually I’m the opposite). But it is fair to point out that solar is going to have huge land use concerns, isn’t going to bring much revenue to a community, has the potential to be a source of toxins, and isn’t exactly an attraction to make the place better for residents.

Did Peezus just apply...some scepticism?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Service Dog wrote:I don't think the feminism of yesteryear was as pro-freedom as you claim. Feminists were against 'control' of women's clothes, bodies, sexuality-- being Imposed by sexist laws or sexist society.

But that doesn't mean feminists were in favor of individual women choosing to do 'whatever they want'. Feminists reserved for themselves the authority to dictate when a woman's individual choices about her own clothes, body, sexuality... were against the feminist cause, so feminists opposing freedom was justifiable.
I guess it depends about what kind of feminism you're talking about. Marxist feminists came up with the idea of "false consciousness" that enabled them to dismiss some women as "gender traitors" (just like Marxists in general dismissed some working class people as "class traitors").

On the other hand some more liberal and libertarian strains of feminism emphasized the freedom of women to choose their careers. Libertarian feminists, for example, frequently proposed laws to legalize prostitution and other kinds of sex work, especially in Europe.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Hey Ol' PZ and me agreed on something. Bridges are being built coming in to the new year!

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

I'm too busy trying to figure out if the dots are spinning clockwise or anti-clockwise to be able to answer your question.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

The cringeworthy aspect of the solar farms is that some people were saying that the solar panels were depriving surrounding plants of sunlight, since sunlight is a limited resource.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

another lurker wrote:The cringeworthy aspect of the solar farms is that some people were saying that the solar panels were depriving surrounding plants of sunlight, since sunlight is a limited resource.

In the story it is two people said to make this claim. The woman who is quote seems to be saying that the panels are not allowing enough light through for surrounding plants and she had seen browning. This is an something that there could be evidence of. Go to one of the other three solar farms in town. Either vegetation is browning around the panels are it isn't (of if it is that doesn't prove causation ).

The second crazier sounds thing was not quoted. This is the section from the article that people are using.
Bobby Mann said he watched communities dry up when I-95 came along and warned that would happen to Woodland because of the solar farms.

“You’re killing your town,” he said. “All the young people are going to move out.”

He said the solar farms would suck up all the energy from the sun and businesses would not come to Woodland.
http://www.roanoke-chowannewsherald.com ... olar-farm/

So the question is did he really say it in that crazy sounding way?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Shatterface wrote: There's no US version of Sherlock.
No shit.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Com and his hyperskepticism

Stop oppressing us!

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

I didn't realize we had that many 'tards at the Pit.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Brive1987 wrote:Latest v. cool Mensching on Hunt.

Finally made it all the way through. Really solid work on the whole.

It's unfortunate that it had to be that long, since the basic damning facts are quite simple: Hunt was unjustly publicly shamed because a cadre of ideologically compromised "science journalists" relentlessly distorted and even outright lied about his toast and subsequent apologies.

The rest is mostly just deflection, goalpost-shifting, and rationalization on the part of the witch-Hunters.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Service Dog wrote:I don't think the feminism of yesteryear was as pro-freedom as you claim. Feminists were against 'control' of women's clothes, bodies, sexuality-- being Imposed by sexist laws or sexist society.

But that doesn't mean feminists were in favor of individual women choosing to do 'whatever they want'. Feminists reserved for themselves the authority to dictate when a woman's individual choices about her own clothes, body, sexuality... were against the feminist cause, so feminists opposing freedom was justifiable.
I guess it depends about what kind of feminism you're talking about. Marxist feminists came up with the idea of "false consciousness" that enabled them to dismiss some women as "gender traitors" (just like Marxists in general dismissed some working class people as "class traitors").

On the other hand some more liberal and libertarian strains of feminism emphasized the freedom of women to choose their careers. Libertarian feminists, for example, frequently proposed laws to legalize prostitution and other kinds of sex work, especially in Europe.
Which is why the SJW can say " Always believe oppressed people. You can *never* ever critique their ideas" and then dismiss an oppressed person when they disagree with SJW ideology

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:

It's unfortunate that it had to be that long, since the basic damning facts are quite simple: Hunt was unjustly publicly shamed because a cadre of ideologically compromised "science journalists" relentlessly distorted and even outright lied about his toast and subsequent apologies.

The rest is mostly just deflection, goalpost-shifting, and rationalization on the part of the witch-Hunters.
I only made it partway through. The blatant dishonesty really does make me wonder if some SJWs are not outright socipaths. Destroy others lives for their own personal gain.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

deLurch wrote:
Tigzy wrote:In case anyone thinks CFI's jettisoning of Melody Hensley heralds a programme of shaking off the SJW dead wood, think again. Brian Engler has been appointed to CFI's baord of directors.

So who's Brian Engler, you ask?
“I identify as a secularist, an atheist, a humanist, and a skeptic,” said Engler. “I am also a reasonable and responsible member of our shared society, and therefore consider it incumbent upon me to put these values into practice through activism, including on social justice issues.”
Okay, you say. So why should you care?

Because Brian, though you may not have heard of him, is in-deep with just about every FTB SJW atheist going. One of the funny things I noticed when perusing the social media posts of our FTB chums for the past couple of years is how often this name - Brian Engler - would crop up, favouriting and liking posts made by such luminaries of dimness as Svan, Benson and our dear old Mel. In fact, I learned of his appointment from mad ol Mel's FB page, where she exclaims that his appointment is 'one of the best decisions CFI has made.' Which in itself should serve as a warning shot, let alone the fact that the post was 'liked' by such folks as Dana Chunter, Dreary Miri, Zvan, Sally Syringe - even Oolon (lol - sorry, the 'lol' is kind of a habit when it comes to him. lol)

This dude is well-in with the FTB crowd, and yet - how many here have heard of him? I'll say this - watch this fucker. He's been far too quiet for a 'veteran activist and ally'.

http://www.centerforinquiry.net/news/engler_board/

(Note that the dude's pretty old and almost as nuclear white as Zvan, but his buddies have let that pass. Apparently, it's only bad to be old, white & male when you're Richard Dawkins)
I haven't read any of his writings, and he hasn't even started his position yet. I am going to withhold judgement, positive or negative, until I see what he does with his new position.

Well good for you. Verily we could all learn from a display of such virtue. However, it's not simply guilt by association. Note that he specified in his blub his commitment to 'activism, including on social justice issues.' Colour me prejudiced if you will, but whenever someone has made a point of their 'social justice activism', it's never been a good sign.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Hence why I referenced that original post. Hemant was just reusing, recycling, repurposing -- with no value-add whatsoever by reading into the video camera.

Seriously, what's the point of an "audio-visual" presentation, if there's no 'visual' other than your ugly mug in front of a bookshelf?

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Hey! Thank you all for the comments on the pic I uploaded yesterday :dance:

And thank you again, Brive, for tweeting it at Her Edginess :D

Yesterday I read but didn't reply. I'm sick again, and couldn't muster the spoons for conversation. It's looking like sick is becoming the new normal for me. Bleh.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

another lurker wrote:
Guestus Aurelius wrote:

I only made it partway through. The blatant dishonesty really does make me wonder if some SJWs are not outright socipaths. Destroy others lives for their own personal gain.
This bit is surreal. 3 of them including St Louis, professional journalists all, reported questioning Hunt about his speech but were pointedly ignored. The guy they grilled WASN'T HUNT.
Data also proves that if anybody was offended, they weren’t offended enough to say anything about it. There are no negative mentions of Hunt from WCSJ 2015 until Connie St. Louis and Deborah Blum’s “Sexism in Science” session. At this session, Blum, St. Louis, and Charles Seife, a Professor of Journalism at NYU, would all report that ‘Tim Hunt’ entered, stood at the back and was “given a chance to clarify” as he was “questioned about it by journalists who were at the lunch” (Blum, St. Louis and Seife). They reported that, far from answering these public charges of sexism, arrogant ‘Tim Hunt’ stood aloof at the back of the room, his hands behind his head, smiling.

That is because he wasn’t Sir Tim Hunt. (He was probably the journalist Ron Winslow).

Far from showing contempt during a “Sexism in Science” session, Hunt was in another conference room, listening attentively to the lectures of two female scientists, Drs. Laefer and Gabrys, whom he he had accompanied to Seoul to promote. You might call it “Feminism in Science.”

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Pitchguest - So sorry to hear about your dad's situation. I'd echo others' sentiments and suggestions, including to spend time with him doing things he likes & wants to do, which could just be spending time together. It'll be more difficult later, and as someone mentioned the 2 years might be an optimistic estimate. :(

Hugs.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Sulman wrote: https://archive.is/xybOl
PZ Myers wrote: I’m not just being a luddite (usually I’m the opposite). But it is fair to point out that solar is going to have huge land use concerns, isn’t going to bring much revenue to a community, has the potential to be a source of toxins, and isn’t exactly an attraction to make the place better for residents.
Did Peezus just apply...some scepticism?
No, Peez just regurgitated a bunch of clap-trap more commonly heard from climate change deniers. What could've sparked Peez' sudden 'skepticism' of green electricity? :think:
Elon Musk wrote:A lot of people aren’t clear on how much surface area is needed to generate enough power to completely get the United States off fossil fuels. Most people have no idea. They think it must be some huge amount of area, or maybe some space solar panels…But this is completely unnecessary. Actually very little land is needed to get rid of all fossil fuel electricity generation in the United States. It’s really not much. Most if it will be on rooftops.
http://fusion.net/story/129075/elon-mus ... ith-solar/
arearequired1000.jpg
(98.1 KiB) Downloaded 271 times

Yet again, PZ Myers' views on science are dictated by personal vendetta.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Ape+lust wrote:This bit is surreal. 3 of them including St Louis, professional journalists all, reported questioning Hunt about his speech but were pointedly ignored. The guy they grilled WASN'T HUNT.
... That is because he wasn’t Sir Tim Hunt. (He was probably the journalist Ron Winslow).

Far from showing contempt during a “Sexism in Science” session, Hunt was in another conference room, listening attentively to the lectures of two female scientists, Drs. Laefer and Gabrys, whom he he had accompanied to Seoul to promote. You might call it “Feminism in Science.”
:doh:

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:This, ladies and gentlemen, is the "tribe I'm supposed to belong to. Skip to 1:15

[youtube]3O72lItS4OA[/youtube]
Picturing Phil standing behind the stage at this performance.

Incoming!

Malky

Post by Malky »

jg64 wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:Okay, I'm logged in now. Forgot my password before.

Anyway.

I'll be blunt. This news hit me hard. It hit me hard when I first heard he had cancer, but I thought at least another ten years. Two years if he's lucky... god. I don't know how to cope. The worst thing is I don't have anything else to focus on. I don't have a family of my own. I don't have kids, a wife, girlfriend, that sort of thing. I'm unemployed (I've searched hundreds of jobs, no one wants a college dropout, this despite the fact I've embellished it seeing as I've barely worked a day in my life), I live at home with my parents still (which makes it all the more painful), I get welfare but not much (which is better than nothing, granted, but most of it goes to rent and the rest to support my dad who unfortunately when he was young got screwed over gambling and has been millions in debt ever since); what am I supposed to do? I feel pathetic, I feel like I've let him down.

He's been my rock for 27 years. He's kept me sane. He's insanely cunning and knows all kinds of things. He's an experienced carpenter, electrician, musician, most things I know I learned from him (and I would have learned so much more if I hadn't been so damned stubborn), and soon he'll be just... gone. I spent the last few hours just staring blankly. I am not coping well with this at all. Fuck. Fucking cancer. Fucking disease. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck!

Fuck.

Sorry all.
So sorry to hear this Pitch. There has been some excellent advice offered here and I'd add that if you want to ask or tell your dad anything, I'd do it before any strong pain meds might be needed, as it becomes next to impossible afterwards. Thinking of you, take care, hon.
Agree with all the advice given so far and best wishes for ou and family. I have one question - Mum is not mentioned, is she still around because if so she will really need you. Speaking from experience as my Dad is so lonely after losing Mum to her second cancer5 years ago after being together since he was 16. If Mum not around please ignore.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:This, ladies and gentlemen, is the "tribe I'm supposed to belong to. Skip to 1:15

[.youtube]3O72lItS4OA[/youtube]
[youtube]wjef-h9MbxA[/youtube]

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Service Dog wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote: Ophelia Benson is old enough to remember when feminism was linked with freedom of choice, freedom of a woman to use her body however she wanted, freedom to wear what she wanted, to be seen and not ignored.

However she's also a sexless prude and has lived through the emergence of "identity feminism", which condemns the exposure of the female body as "objectification" of the "sacred feminine" and as a product of the "white male capitalist Patriarchy".

She holds both attitudes, because unlike the SJW feminist, who wouldn't have criticised the Jewish Orthodox "communities" (and would have defended them if they had been Muslims) for "defending their identity", she's still at least marginally concerned with the idea of freedom of choice.

The SJWs don't give a shit about women's freedom. Anita Sarkeesian has said it best: feminism isn't about choice, it's about "the liberation of women as a class". Women who enjoy doing "unfeminist" things are "chill girls", "sister punishers", "gender traitors" and so on.

Feminism used to be about women's rights to freedom. Now it's about restricting everyone's freedom to promote "justice" (i.e. identity policies).

From a "libertarian" feminist point of view sex workers are allies to be empowered and given agency, and Muslims who want the Sharia are enemies. From a SJW point of view sex workers are poor victims of oppression to be rescue, just like the "unjustly demonized" Muslims.

Ophelia wavers between the two sides of the feminist spectrum. She's convinced that religious conservatives are her enemy (and that's why she has defended Charlie Hebdo) but at the same time she defends the idea of women as poor victims of the Patriarchy who "sexualizes" them.
I don't think the feminism of yesteryear was as pro-freedom as you claim. Feminists were against 'control' of women's clothes, bodies, sexuality-- being Imposed by sexist laws or sexist society.

I don't think Ophelia betrays old-guard feminism, she's a model example of it's internal contradictions & limitations.
Even in Second Wave feminism, the 'sex positive' feminists were the minority and majority of feminists still argued that sex-positivism was an extension of male privilege. And, from what I've seen over the decades, the sex negative side won and most sex positive feminists have been marginalized and branded heretics and their efforts to decriminalize the sex trade (which would protect women from a lot abuse and exploitation) have been sabotaged by the main-stream feminists ever since.

And while they talk the talk about feminism being for 'everyone,' by their actions, they don't walk the walk. Never mind that it does nothing for men's issues, even for women it's almost always about the upper-middle-class, upper-class white women's stuff. CEO positions. Graduate school admissions. High paying jobs. That sort of thing. And virtually no effort is spent in getting women in shitty service jobs (they use and would have to pay more for) a better wage. Same with sex workers who, by their trade, reduce the power of women (as a group) to control and influence with sex.

In short, talk is cheap. If you care about women, you'll care about the whores, the disenfranchised, the unskilled, etc. And, by-and-large, they don't.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Says the canonical Internet Asshole.

http://imgur.com/dtCcQ3T.png

Peez "knew Hitchens." :lol:

He probably means he shuffled in place and said something inane in his flutey hoot owl voice when Hitchens said hello. What matters is: did Hitchens know who he was?

Others have suggested Peez's turn to cruelty began with his heart surgery. I'll just note his infamous Gelato guy episode happened around the time Hitchens was shrunken and obviously close to death.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Nice work on that picture, Ape. I'll admit to a chortle or two when I saw it.

blitzem

Post by blitzem »

comhcinc wrote:The woman who is quote...
"The woman" was described as a local science teacher. Hence my sad amusement.

YMMV

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Ape, for your next picture can you shoop PZ and Carrier playing Subbuteo together and add some text like "we are so cowabunga and down with the kids" and "Yes, we are totally radical. Eat my shorts."

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Nice work on that picture, Ape. I'll admit to a chortle or two when I saw it.
Thanks, Tony! She's easy. She's a goob who tries too hard to be sexy.

CuntajusRationality

Post by CuntajusRationality »

another lurker wrote:The cringeworthy aspect of the solar farms is that some people were saying that the solar panels were depriving surrounding plants of sunlight, since sunlight is a limited resource.
Maybe I'm being unfair, but what I found cringeworthy was Myers' response.

Granted, there are a couple of legitimate points being made. Namely that the media appears to have cherry-picked some of the more ridiculous quotes, and that of course solar has consequences that are worth consideration. Though I do wonder if anyone has seriously argued against the latter of those points.

Beyond that, I found the specifics of Myers' post to be laughable. For example, he echoes Mary Hobbs' (widely quoted Woodland resident) concern about people not wanting to live Woodland NC. Hobbs is quoted as saying Woodland had been slowly becoming a ghost town and there are a lack of job opportunities, and Myers responds (in part) with:
PZ Myers wrote:I live in a place where a lot of acreage is committed to collecting solar energy and turning it into corn, and we have that same problem with young people seeing no reason to stay here.
He seems to be implying there is some connection between young people seeing no reason to stay in Morris MN and the solar farms (why else mention it in this context?). Morris is a shitty little town with nothing much to do and that's why people don't want to live there. The idea that it has anything significant to do with solar seems like bullshit. As for Woodland, a lack of job opportunities would be a far bigger cause of people leaving than would solar farms. Not sure how rejecting this solar farm and keeping this land zoned as residential does exactly nothing to address that problem.

Myers also tries to recuse Hobb's concerns about the solar farm potentially causing an increase in cancer rates and the absurd quote about the solar panels sucking up all the sun's energy. He provides no actual data or new information. He basically just reinterprets the stupid shit various Woodland residents said in an attempt to demonstrate that it wasn't really as stupid as it sounds. Bullshit. Yes it was.

Ultimately it sounds like the town's decision was driven more by the economics of it, as they didn't see any tangible return on the deal. That's fair enough, but why all the hand-waiving and apologetics to defend the stupid shit the locals said?

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Ape, for your next picture can you shoop PZ and Carrier playing Subbuteo together and add some text like "we are so cowabunga and down with the kids" and "Yes, we are totally radical. Eat my shorts."
I've never heard of Subbuteo.

Looks like football with little flick 'em figures, yes?

Carrier would be an instant world class player. He probably already is :roll:

I don't think Peez could play without trembling and barfing all over the field. It's organized sports, which since high school has scared him more than organized religion :lol:

feathers

Post by feathers »

The reason people leave Morris, Mn is that a maniac with a drone lives there.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Sunder wrote:PZ's hatred of Musk is something far baser. Once again, it's a young, handsome, successful, and popular guy. PZ needs the flimsiest of excuses to hate him.

Hmm... I wonder why...

Elon Musk:

CEO and CTO of SpaceX, CEO and product architect of Tesla Motors, and chairman of SolarCity as well as co-chairman of OpenAI. He founded SpaceX and is also a co-founder of Zip2, PayPal, and Tesla Motors. Has hot wife.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/05/ ... 234511.jpg

PZ Myers:

Teaches under-graduates basic biology in cow-town, liberal arts college and tries to poison zebrafish with Round Up after failing at every chance to make a mark he's ever had. Lusts after Becky Blue-Hair.

https://rebeccawatsonfanclub.files.word ... =300&h=300

Yeah, I can see why...

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

It's a very old, very uncool game from the 70's played and loved by people who wear cardigans and eat lots of chips. Never played it but it looks about as fun as collecting screws.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Michael J wrote:
Sunder wrote:All unisex seems like a better option than the increasingly common "one restroom for women, one restroom for families/unisex/other."

It'll get loads of women making noise who might not necessarily be on board with feminist insistence that they share a restroom with Danielle and Stefonknee.
I always thought it would be men's toilets and unisex as the Men's toilets have urinals where we expose our rude bits compared with female toilets where everone has a private cubicle. The urinals make sense as it can pack in more men and turnover is quicker. In a sensible world you would have a room for urinals and a unisex room for the cubicles.
I came to the conclusion, decades ago, that women will never be happy about the public restroom situation until men have to wait in lines as long as them.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Hey Katamari, was Queer Eye for the Straight Guy cultural appropriation?
Loki1001 • 2 days ago

I'm gay, and this is where I come from with cultural appropriation (how to define it, how to notice it):

In the late '90s and the early 2000s there was a mild renaissance of gay people in the media. The biggest hit was Will & Grace, but the most important was Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. What drove those shows (and others like them) was not attempting to appeal to actual gay people, instead gayness was a prop used to sell products to women. QEftSG was, ironically, a makeover show designed for neither gay people nor straight men, but women (specifically wives and girlfriends). And you can see this in every makeover show on TV, a woman is plucked from her dreary life and a gay man descends upon her making her look fabulous. He is just a tool to move her from a before state to an after state in the narrative, and in the larger capitalist context to convince women to buy new makeup and clothes.

That's what cultural appropriation is. That's what exoticification is. It is what happens when a culture or group of people is repackaged to be sold to a larger society and where the actual people in that group become largely irrelevant marketing tools. Someone is appropriating another culture to do with what they want. A yoga class which has an Indian women specifically to lend authenticity on staff and where the instructors recite from Wikipedia's article on Hinduism while doing it, and that's selling Ganesha key chains would be cultural appropriation (and pretty successful, probably) particularly if that was a chain buisness. A yoga class which teaches the poses because they are good exercises would not really be cultural appropriation.
It wasn't a show for gay people, it wasn't a show for straight men. It was a show for straight women to fantasize about changing their boyfriends.
Yeah. Because fuck exposing gay people to a wider audience and showing them that hey, gay people aren't a bunch of sick freaks. Sure, it played up a stereotype, but so what, all in good fun, right? And it demonstrated that gay people aren't scary! But oh noes, the hurt feelz of a narcissistic SJW who wants to feel victimised by everything under the sun comes first!

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/daylightat ... 2410841366

Someone else in the comments made a great point:
What's really sad about that stupid, stupid protest is that the Japanese agencies behind the exhibition want Westerners to take up kimono-wearing. Traditional kimono-making is in danger of becoming a lost art because so few Japanese wear traditional kimonos any more. The Japanese are trying to expand the market for kimonos so that the art and traditions will survive.
Moral: if it's not your ox being gored, and you haven't even checked with the owner of the ox about how they feel about it, sit down and shut up.
Yeah. I just love it when privileged *white* SJW's, under the guise of 'protecting marginalized people' actually, actively, harm them. They harm the people they claim to be protecting, and then just walk away, patting themselves on the back about what brave protectors of the oppressed they are.