Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Old subthreads
Wild Zontargs

Re: Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Post by Wild Zontargs »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Shatterface wrote:Wheaton College Suspends Christian Professor Who Wore Hijab To Show Solidarity With Muslims

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... y-muslims/
She was suspended not for the hijab, per se, but for tweeting that Christians and Moslems worship the same god. Since Moslems think JC was just a prophet (seeing as no deity could ever come out of something as filthy as a woman's vajayjay), and have no Holy Spirit, no wonder her Evangelical employers took issue.
Yup. They have a rather comprehensive Statement of Faith and Community Covenant outlining the employer's theological views. The college was quite specific about what the problem is and is not:
December 16, 2015

The following statement from Wheaton College President Dr. Philip Ryken was made available to media yesterday:

The College has no stated position on the wearing of headscarves as a gesture of care and concern for those in Muslim or other religious communities that may face discrimination or persecution. We support the protection of all Americans including the right to the free exercise of religion, as guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States.
December 11, 2015

In recent days, Wheaton College students distributed an "An Open Letter to Leaders in the Evangelical Community," expressing their desire for Christians to treat and to speak about our Muslim neighbors in loving and respectful ways. Wheaton College has also received questions and media coverage related to statements some faculty members have made on social media regarding the relationship between Christianity and Islam.

Wheaton College is an institution of distinctively evangelical Christian identity. The core of our faith, as expressed in our Statement of Faith, is our belief that “the Lord Jesus Christ died for our sins, according to the Scriptures, as a representative and substitutionary sacrifice, triumphing over all evil; and that all who believe in Him are justified by His shed blood and forgiven of all their sins.” We affirm that salvation is through Christ alone.

While Islam and Christianity are both monotheistic, we believe there are fundamental differences between the two faiths, including what they teach about God’s revelation to humanity, the nature of God, the path to salvation, and the life of prayer.

Our Community Covenant explores specific obligations of Christian morality, including affirming the call to love our neighbors as ourselves; to uphold the God-given worth of human beings, from conception to death, as the unique image-bearers of God; and to give faithful witness to the Gospel. The Scriptures, as well as the Community Covenant, hold us accountable to reject injustice, prejudice, and the taking of innocent life.

As a Christian liberal arts institution, we value a robust exchange of ideas on the critical issues of the day. Faculty and student expressions of concern about the treatment of Muslims have been grounded in a desire to live peaceably and respectfully with all people, including our neighbors of Islamic and other religious faith traditions. While these commitments are consistent with our Statement of Faith and Community Covenant, overtures of Christian friendship must be enacted with theological clarity as well as compassion.

We celebrate our religious liberty as American citizens under the Constitution, and fervently defend the free exercise of that liberty by those of other faiths in the same way that we desire respect of and protection for our own religious liberty.

Some recent faculty statements have generated confusion about complex theological matters, and could be interpreted as failing to reflect the distinctively Christian theological identity of Wheaton College. We will be in dialogue with our faculty, staff and students in the days ahead to ensure that we articulate our love for our Muslim neighbors in ways that are consistent with our distinctive theological convictions.
TL;DR: If you agreed not to contradict your employer's mission statement while acting as an agent of said employer, don't be surprised if shilling for the competition gets your ass fired.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

I hate short-paging myself. Y'all can just put up with it for another page.

http://i.imgur.com/9hbXbnM.jpg

KenD

Post by KenD »

I like Shoe.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Gumby wrote:I hate short-paging myself. Y'all can just put up with it for another page.

[.img]http://i.imgur.com/R6Kig4d.jpg[/img]
That's a definite :lol: Though while Oolon is more or less a creation of Myers & Benson, it seems they've more or less disowned him.

But while it is maybe a cheap shot, I wonder if anyone has noted the resemblance between Myers & Robert Dear?

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Gumby wrote:I hate short-paging myself. Y'all can just put up with it for another page.

Definitely worth it. Fantastic!

Someone who hasn't been blocked, please retweet to the humorless pair of dumps.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:

Definitely worth it. Fantastic!

Someone who hasn't been blocked, please retweet to the humorless pair of dumps.
And please use that . feature, which as I understand it from the mewlings of SJWs means all their followers see it too?

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Tigzy wrote:
Steersman wrote:FWIW ...
You know, I never really noticed it, but now that it's been pointed out: yeah...holy shit, footnotes.

Your posts do indeed have the remarkable property of being both fascinatingly odd yet extraordinarily soporific, Steers.
Different strokes and all that. And Reisenwitz seems to be of a different view as my comment garnered a "shout out" from her:

As for the footnotes, that's more or less a necessity as most blogs, at least WordPress ones, have a limit of 2 or 3 hot links before a comment goes into automatic moderation. Where it can sit forever before the owner gets around to checking the site.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

That took quite a while to see what you did there.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

[img]
Fuck me! Is that the slimy turd Oolon in there too? You clever clever bastard Gumby.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Apropos of GOP contenders for the Presidency, and "racial profiling":

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Heh, heh. Yes, yes. Of course it is! LOL.

NB: Um, this was in reference to Gumbers Stennoolioh comment. Which I somehow screwed up the, erm, sequence, ah, to, um ... ya.

ffs

Post by ffs »

Ape+lust wrote:To put a point on Peez's delusion that he isn't dragging the ball and chain of his internet history around with him:

http://imgur.com/InM2OAX.png
He is correct in that he was not accused of sexual harassment

instead his complete terror and following paranoia and career destroying concerns came from merely the THREAT of an accusation

so the bar to which he is massively hypocritical is set even lower

ffs

Post by ffs »

Ape+lust wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
Sunder wrote:Everyone's having a big laugh at PZ's expense on Twitter over his predictably retarded reaction to the first 8 minutes of an Armoured Skeptic video.

Sauce. Bring it.
http://imgur.com/qTncKqZ.png

Really?

Post by Really? »

ffs wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:To put a point on Peez's delusion that he isn't dragging the ball and chain of his internet history around with him:

http://imgur.com/InM2OAX.png
He is correct in that he was not accused of sexual harassment

instead his complete terror and following paranoia and career destroying concerns came from merely the THREAT of an accusation

so the bar to which he is massively hypocritical is set even lower
Not to mention the fact that PZ directly benefited from school administration strongarming the poor girl so she wouldn't report the accusation of rape and/or sexual harassment to the authorities.

What a lucky guy!

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Gumby that was great. They already have some resemblance+smooth delivery.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Really? wrote:
Not to mention the fact that PZ directly benefited from school administration strongarming the poor girl so she wouldn't report the accusation of rape and/or sexual harassment to the authorities.

What a lucky guy!
Yep.

Let us never forget (and we won't) that Meyers's little legs took him straight to the University authorities, following which, as he has proudly
stated (logged by Ape on previous page):
She was immediately taken to the office of the department chair, with women faculty present, to discuss the severity of her accusation. She apologized. It was over.
Leaving aside that, according to 2015 Meyers, "women faculty" could include people like Danielle Muscato, it remains as interesting now as then that the dumpy intellectual considers this to have been a satisfactory outcome. Woman accuses white man in position of power of rape, white man in position of power gets woman sent to reeducation camp until she apologizes for her false claims.

Never forget this incident.

As Ape also pointed out on the previous page, his story of this incident has changed multiple times. Given that information, and his slimy behavior in the years since, I don't think any of us would be surprised if it turned out that he has multiple such incidents on his record somewhere. Or if an FOIR revealed a large payment from UM Morris to a young woman around that time (I have no proof, zero, nothing, this is just harmless speculation based upon facts and behavior).

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote: Leaving aside that, according to 2015 Meyers, "women faculty" could include people like Danielle Muscato, it remains as interesting now as then that the dumpy intellectual considers this to have been a satisfactory outcome. Woman accuses white man in position of power of rape, white man in position of power gets woman sent to reeducation camp until she apologizes for her false claims.

As Ape also pointed out on the previous page, his story of this incident has changed multiple times. Given that information, and his slimy behavior in the years since, I don't think any of us would be surprised if it turned out that he has multiple such incidents on his record somewhere. Or if an FOIR revealed a large payment from UM Morris to a young woman around that time (I have no proof, zero, nothing, this is just harmless speculation based upon facts and behavior).
Never forget, either, what Myers said in relation to Shermer: 'You can tell a liar by the way his story changes.'

But Peez is no rapist, not at all. Because, as he says, he'd never do such a thing.

Really?

Post by Really? »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Really? wrote:

What a lucky guy!
Yep.

Let us never forget (and we won't) that Meyers's little legs took him straight to the University authorities, following which, as he has proudly
stated (logged by Ape on previous page):
She was immediately taken to the office of the department chair, with women faculty present, to discuss the severity of her accusation. She apologized. It was over.
Leaving aside that, according to 2015 Meyers, "women faculty" could include people like Danielle Muscato, it remains as interesting now as then that the dumpy intellectual considers this to have been a satisfactory outcome. Woman accuses white man in position of power of rape, white man in position of power gets woman sent to reeducation camp until she apologizes for her false claims.

And don't forget that the bad feminists who interrogated PZ's accuser didn't "Listen and Believe." They had a financial and institutional motivation to get the poor young girl to recant. As PZ gleefully pointed out, the young girl flamed out in college and is likely a miserable failure now. Thanks to him?

What is this poor young woman doing now? Does she cry every night knowing that her life was derailed because PZ Myers, a white hetero cismale, raped her and made sure that gender traitors who don't take rape seriously would sweep her sadness under the rug? Does she read essays in the library because she can't afford a computer about the 1-in-5 campus rape statistic and cry because her rape wasn't even counted?

PZ never gives his victim a second thought. He just plays with his drone and caresses the laptop that is four times more powerful than anything he'll need. He knows he has a pension and health insurance and tenure and doesn't care about anyone else.

That's what we call privilege.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Some might find this article on Islam & Obama of some interest; a salient quote or two:
The radical jihadist agenda is advanced and supported by Saudi Arabian support for Wahabbism. Saudi Arabia and its close partner, Pakistan, with its thousands of Madrassas and support for Deobandism, are a key source of instability within Islam and threats contributing to regional instability. Saudi support for Wahhabism is the major challenge. Wahhabism has an intolerant and totalitarian approach that undermines more moderate and even mystical oriented elements of the Muslim faith such as Sufism. This intolerance creates an environment conducive to intimidation, coercionand violence directed at other Muslims and non-Muslims alike. Moreover, Saudi Arabia's Wahhabism undermines women's rights, gay rights, free speech, free association, religious freedom, and liberal ideas in general rooted in respect for human rights and diversity. What goes on inside the sovereign country of Saudi Arabia is not so much our concern, but we do care when Riyadh supports Wahhabi expansionism. ....

The unfortunate reality is that it is hard to combat a virulent idea that is grounded in the origins of the faithful and within a major religion. Ultimately, this is not about challenging Islam or fundamentally changing Islam. It is about acknowledging the ongoing debate and violence within Islam, which is about not just about defeating the Islamic State or al Qaeda. Ultimately, success depends on understanding that the conflict is rooted in a fight against an idea; an idea that is deeply rooted in an Islamic strain of thought incorporating the end of days, Islam as the final and perfect revelation, that the Quran is the word of God, and that there is a death penalty for questioning aspects of the faith or for leaving the faith.
Nice to see that idea getting more press, and from some increasingly mainstream organizations.

In any case, some lighter fare on the same general topic:

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

That simultaneously amuses and disgusts me. Nicely done.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Cnutella wrote:

That simultaneously amuses and disgusts me. Nicely done.
The image is even more appropriate in light of the fact that Stephonknee had sex with her transfather.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

I wonder when I hear feminists like PZ discourage women from reporting rape to the authorities, at least in countries where you have a reasonably reliable justice system you have to wonder why.
And zoom in and fix it before it becomes a he said-she said or he would have been fucked?

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

Bleating from the losing side in the comments for PZ's diatribe against the Armored Skeptic:
Athywren - Frustration Familiarity Panda wrote:I always cringe when I see people say “we should be skeptical of….” We should be skeptical of everything. Obviously we can’t really manage that, or our brains would melt, but, “we should be skeptical,” really is enough of a statement. “We should be skeptical of [thing],” just sounds to me like, “I’m eager to show that [thing] is false, regardless of the truth.”

The whole atheist inquisitor thing is getting tired, too. Yes, orthodox atheists, we get it, those of us who think that atheism and social justice causes mix well together are heretics. Great. We don’t hold to the sacraments, nor do we believe that our Mountain Dew and Oreos literally become the blood and flesh of Dawkins, but so what? So what? We think taking a stance in opposition to religions works well with taking stances in opposition to nonsensical social tropes that have historically been perpetuated by religions, and you think that’s somehow wicked. Ok, fine, I can see the tortured logic there, but have you tried just not joining up with us?
Even such a lukewarm pesudoendorsement of skepticism in the first paragraph would put most people on treacherous ground at Pharyngula. However, the second paragraph gives the reassurance that this supplicant isn't straying from the fold.

But the narrative has moved from Pharyngulation and rusty porcupines to "why won't they just leave us alone?" I love it.

The thing is, "Frustration Familiarity Panda" - for fuck's sake - you and your ilk have signally failed to leave well alone yourselves and the only reason you're pleading for a bit of peace and quiet, having seceded the YouTube field to those hyperskeptical ruffians, is because after shitting up a fairly effective and purposeful atheist movement with the A+ bullshit you find yourselves largely marginalized. Those whom you detest go from strength to strength as more people push back against SJW cultural coup d'etats.

Don't just pay lip-service to skepticism, sheeply bleater, actually give it a go. Put your own side's perspective and its tactics under your skeptical microscope and see if you can come up with a more complex answer to the question of why more and more people have less and less time for SJWs beyond "they hate women because they're libertarian neckbeards".

Ha ha, who am I kidding? That will never happen.

Aneris

RationalWiki: What's going on there...

Post by Aneris »

/// MIDDLE-MOUSE-CLICK ENABLED SCROLL DOWN /// WOT WARNING ///

The RationalWiki is well-known as a SJW infested site, currently about to ruin the project altogether. A few older (maybe two or three) or influental editors are apparent Hordelets. A new guard of anti-GamerGate-style SJWs has taken hold of many main articles and they seem to annoy the other editors a lot.

But it's quite baffling: those other editors are adamant that SJWs don't exist and it was all just a "snarl word" made up to tar good folks on the left side. So the majority acts like a "Third Party" that claims to be neither SJWs nor against them, but are defacto enablers of them -- which is in a nutshell exactly what happens in the overall secular movement.

Ryulong and SJW Kerfuffles
One particular pesky SJW named "Ryulong", apparently well known to the lulzy side of the internet, had taken over the articles on Anita Sarkeesian, GamerGate etc and has turned them into a massive wall of Gish Gallop. It's that thick and filled with distorted minute detail that even editors on RationalWiki profess they never made it through. He also did this on Wikipedia but managed to get banned there, as one certain drama site wrote:
ED wrote:"Ryulong soon became head white knight of Zoe Quinn alongside Ironholds and defending the GamerGate Wikipedia article from the taint of objectivity".
Quite typically, extreme SJWs have a free reign for most of the time, while you see nothing similar on the fabled obsessive other side. On RationalWiki, the editors do nothing about it and even shielded Ryu against occasionally invading GamerGate edits. Yet Ryu still managed to annoy everyone. He eventually felt a crippling sense of being misunderstood, apparently over such important matters as -- I kid you not -- My Little Pony, and then stormed off in a flounce. Of course, he's expected back soon. This kerfuffle is explained here by some kind of Wiki watch reddit.

To sum that part up, somehow the SJWs are allowed in and tolerated, annoy everyone, but aren't seen as a thing. It's also not admitted that drama follows them around. For some reason, also one moderator stepped down which seems unusual, too. There is a sense of decay in the community. On the talk pages you see occasional SJW tactics and 100% SJ bot programm, just in totally dull. I guess they are really teens. To give you one idea: they will automatically revert anything I do to any SJ article out of principle, even when I add in confirmed and factual material that isn't even controversial. Their heuristic is something like: "anti-SJW edits something to Sj article, must be against our interest, let's sabotage it!" which fits right into their whole mindset where the truth isn't important, but only what's useful to them. The community isn't in a great shape and seems withering like Atheism Plus. But of course, it's nothing. SJWs don't exist.

Gerard Kerfuffle
One hordelet that plays some bigger role is David Gerard, who turns out to be the "owner" (in some sense) and technical admin of the RationalWiki. His leanings seem to be, as usual obscure to the others there. I've seen him posting on Pharyngula and he's clearly a massive fanboy. His protection in edit wars and some likeminded posters cause that many articles on RW whenever they are closer to the Social Justice League turn grotesque, for example the one on PZ Myers and Atheist Ireland. This perfectly neutral and factual reporting was removed, and replaced with a fantasy version (current).

Mr Gerard is mostly busy with holding his hand in protection over the likes like Ryulong and other SJWs, which other people apparently find annoying but following the denialist pattern are determined to overlook. The SJW curry favour to him, and do their usual SJW stuff, slandering and smearing, bad faith argueing and edit warring. They also claimed, fantastically, that I attempted to dox David Gerard, because I once mentioned his name here to make the point that there's a connection to Pharyngula. But that's just his name he uses everywhere. It's literally his signature and username. The SJWs haven't pushed that hard, know their accusation is complete nonsense but characteristically still nobody calls them out on it. That tells you something. Oh, they also created two or three sock puppet accounts(!) just to annoy me, attempted to delete a page in user-space (i.e. sites attached to your profile which are generally left alone), revoked user rights and more shenanigans. Bovine "third side" users then complain that I point out that they have a SJW infestation. However neither I nor anyone of merit takes them or the situation seriously, and it's all quite dull.

More actual drama is produced also by the other side: For some reason, David Gerard has currently to do with the Matt Hopkins berk. Maybe you rememember that episode where this "witchfinder general" who speaks of himself in the third person annoyed Oolon and his blockbot business. This time he wrote a formal complaint mail to David Gerard and RW and threatened legal action, and I see there is also blogging about it. He accuses Gerard of being a paedo-defender, but this individual isn't exactly reliable, so take this with a near-lethal dose of salt.
I haven't bothered to look into that sideshow, but I had my spat with one of the lower SJW minions who defended Sarah Butts even after being shown her paedo-edgelord concession. Nothing unsual here, either. SJWs accuse you of being in league with Doxxers and worse by Insane Troll Logic, but when turned around they really become mad apologists of obvious paedophiles.

TL;DR
[youtube]qJh6EQ5gv7g[/youtube]

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Really? wrote: As PZ gleefully pointed out, the young girl flamed out in college and is likely a miserable failure now. Thanks to him?

*snip*
Hey, this is familiar. Did he really do something like this, or am I just misremembering some Pit lies? Please provide source material, this needs rebroadcasting if correct.

It's crazy, but when it comes to Meyers one just cannot believe the shit he has actually said can possibly be real. But when faced with the oaken truth of The Internet, it is shocking how much he has flat-out lied, and thought that the lie wiped out all previous comments. The guy is mentally fucked up, yo.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

:clap:

(wipes away laughing tears)

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Aneris wrote:

:clap:

(wipes away laughing tears)
Needs pronouns.

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

This is fucking awesome. :bow-blue:

And sick.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Just got back from the new Bond movie, Spectre.

The opening credits = PZ wet dream. And I don't mean Rebecca Watson.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
rayshul wrote:I disrespectfully disagree Phil
In my defense, I'm in a sort of Holmes mood lately, having watched Mr Holmes and considering re-watching the R. Downey Jr movies. So I might have a slight bias.
The version with Cumberbatch and Freeman, or the silly US version? If the former, then yeah, I agree with you and double down on disreputably disagreeing with rayshul.

I'm currently watching Jessica Jones - interesting and sort of noir, but not as good as Orphan Black, IMHO.
You are both incredibly wrong.

The US one is brilliant. Excellent casting, super use of Holmes, and Watson I DISAGREED WITH ON PRINCIPLE but have come to love Watson. The UK one plays Holmes as a moron and an unpleasant moron to boot. Only highlight was Moriarty.

I am a lover of all things Holmes and the only thing better than the US version is the videogame series, which is basically getting to watch Holmes slowly destroy Watson's sense of self.

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

TIL that the internet is "tailor-made for anti=feminism":
Extreme.png
(42.63 KiB) Downloaded 397 times
Would anyone like to explain how the internet is "tailor-made for anti=feminism"?

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Michael J wrote:
screwtape wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:
{snip}

Others have suggested Peez's turn to cruelty began with his heart surgery. I'll just note his infamous Gelato guy episode happened around the time Hitchens was shrunken and obviously close to death.
I keep reading about his heart surgery as an excuse for a personality change, but as far as I know he went for a coronary catheterisation, and had a stent put in. Now I will agree that any such reminder of mortality is a sobering thing (and generally makes people decide to be nicer to their fellows rather than deciding to be as nasty and intolerant as possible), but lets not waste time and sympathy over supposed major heart surgery. He suffered the sting of the local anesthetic in his groin or his wrist, and an hour later was restored to full cardiac power.
Now our beloved Ape may be onto something, as I have often wondered what Hitch would have made of the wilting A/S 'movement' that has drunk PZ's Roundup rather than any KoolAid. Not only did Hitch's death make a vacancy among the Horsemen that PZ said himself he wanted to fill, but the restraining effect of having a colleague with an intellect dedicated to enlightenment values was removed at the same time. PZ was free to become whatever was required by the Horde, but in the positive feedback of the echo chamber he didn't see that his new found (yet life-long) feminism and concern for social justice were becoming so extreme that people of common sense would become unsympathetic. In short, he opened the regulator all the way and went off the rails at the first curve. He might tweet that anyone wishing that Hitch could see him now is actually just an authoritarian in disguise, but just imagine the scorn and the ridicule that Hitchens would have poured upon him. PZ would never have dared to make the plays he has if it weren't for H's premature death.
A lot of the Horde were already uncomfotable with Hitchens due to his Iraq stance before he died. My guess is that if Hitchens was still alive he would be treated the same way that Dawkins was treated. However, Hitchen's would have ignored PZ unlike Dawkins who likes to troll a bit.

Hitchens would have written about the regressive left but I don't think PZ is important enough to warrant any attention from him.
Mere conjecture of course, but I like to think that Hitch would have noticed him, (he did his darndest to get noticed by those intent on not engaging him, or giving the windbag airtime) and would have annihilated him with a hitchslap to end all hitchslaps. One thing the Hitch detested above all things was intellectual fraudulence. Peewee myers is not only a limited intellect, but a fraudulent one at that.

The zen mater Dennet is the only one of the four big brains surviving that PZ didn't entice into a spitfest. Hitch loved a fight, Taking a cretin like myers apart would have been porn for him.

Guest_0048cc29

Post by Guest_0048cc29 »

Would anyone like to explain how the internet is "tailor-made for anti=feminism"?
"the internet interprets censorship as damage and routes around it" -- John Gilmore, EFF founder

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

another lurker wrote:Just got back from the new Bond movie, Spectre.

Octopussy?

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Suet Cardigan wrote:TIL that the internet is "tailor-made for anti=feminism":
Extreme.png
There are no girls on the internet.

I was just going to leave it at that but felt the need for lurkers to explain what this meme actually means. it is oft misrepresented as sexism in it's original context "there are no girls in gaming", especially by morons of the school of woo/snarkesian. What it actually meant , was that your sex was a fucking irrelevancy.

player 1:hey guys i'm a girl
player 2:: there are no girls in gaming, stop pointing to your tits and shoot that fucker

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

JackSkeptic wrote:
another lurker wrote:Just got back from the new Bond movie, Spectre.

Octopussy?
Tentacle raep.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

rayshul wrote: snip disagreement on the internet.

You are both incredibly wrong.

The US one is brilliant. Excellent casting, super use of Holmes, and Watson I DISAGREED WITH ON PRINCIPLE but have come to love Watson. The UK one plays Holmes as a moron and an unpleasant moron to boot. Only highlight was Moriarty.

I am a lover of all things Holmes and the only thing better than the US version is the videogame series, which is basically getting to watch Holmes slowly destroy Watson's sense of self.
Holmes was less moron and more aspie or autist in the UK version. Andrew Scott as Moriarty was masterful; pity they had him playing 2nd fiddle Moriarty in Spectre as well.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I used to know David Gerard in a vaguely connected way in my misspent youth - I dated a mutual friend.

This is of amusement perhaps https://encyclopediadramatica.se/David_Gerard

Guest_0048cc29

Post by Guest_0048cc29 »

At 34 when he played Moriarity, well, call me old, but I thought Andrew Scott came off as emo twink villain wanting senpai to notice him and the story was boring. In that sense his Moriarity was a second fiddle to Jason Lee's Buddy Pine / Syndrome.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Aw shit I've met his ex-girlfriend too.

She was wearing a catsuit.

Fuck I fucked up my youth real bad.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Speaking of Sherlock Holmes and vidya:

[youtube]13YlEPwOfmk[/youtube]

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Further to my last post.

I think there is also somewhat of a generational disconnect. My generation viewed the interwebs as a place void of identity, where things stood on their merit alone, whether they be ideas, or FPS proficiency. Younger generations view the webs as an extension of their identity. That's why we end up with such nonsense as twitter ptsd, and safe spaces. it is the indulgences of the decadent, such as preceded the fall of rome.

We have people whose whole notion of self is kerneled in the comment section of blog posts.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Sunder wrote:Speaking of Sherlock Holmes and vidya:
I've got the whole series of Sherlock games. They get better and better.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

I fully expect by the time I am dead and gone for people to say "lol" to something said rather than laugh.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Slymepit obsessed with Watson. This whole page belongs on the wall o hate.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

The longstanding link between Gamers and Rape Culture.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6512 ... le0624.jpg

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

CAN'T......BREATHE!!!

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Lsuoma wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:It's a very old, very uncool game from the 70's played and loved by people who wear cardigans and eat lots of chips. Never played it but it looks about as fun as collecting screws.
[youtube]v9ngjiRNWFo[/youtube]

There was also a really good episode of "The Detectives" that resolved around a Subbuteo match.

http://www.locatetv.com/tv/detectives/season-4/468697
HAHAHAH, mint!

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

My transamigo Fang is working long holiday hours at 3 bars. 10 consecutive days of work, the last 4 were double-shifts.
He's going out of his mind. To keep himself motivated, he has become fixated on what to do with the money he's earning.

Namely, he wants to build costume robot-armor & make a movie about a robot battle. It has been a year since he was diagnosed with AIDS,
when pneumonia almost killed him. Half a year of sobriety and AA. This robot dream could be a healthy new hobby, lead to a career outside the bar business.

But he's being a blathering idiot about it. He calls at 2 a.m., frothing about how this battlesuit will wield a sword, because he doesn't know how to make it shoot lightning bolts because he doesn't know AfterEffects, but can he get the rights from a toy company to use their robot design and what if he builds the suit now but can't afford to film until a year later and what-if the suit is fitted for an actor who gets fat before then and blah blah.

He asks me moviemaking questions. Before I can reply, he's off speed-talking about some other concern. Just now, we had a conversation which may have actually been productive. He made more sense describing his robots, and why they would be appealing to watch. Until he switched to worrying that people wouldn't believe in his project if it didn't look profitable.

I told him he had it backward: logically, worrying about profitability should put people at ease-- signal to them that he's aware of that concern and he's working on it. But the illogical reality is-- talking about money will only undermine confidence. If he just goes-forward with building the robot armor, like it's his profitless hobby or pure passion-- and doesn't discuss profit-- he will seem confident, like He Must Know What He's Doing.

Also, talking about money is seen as vulgar, shameful, unartistic. If he makes a suit of armor because he 'has a vision', then an art gallery might sell it as a sculpture. But if he makes it 'to sell for money', they won't touch it.

I have failed to employ my own advice many times. I always aim for the win-win of being true to my art PLUS the bottom line. Artists, performers, presenters, collegues... react like I farted.

I am stubborn-enough, that I would rather part-ways with the artworld and too-classy-to-talk-about-money people, rather than filter what I say. But if you want their support, I think that's the way to keep it.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Lsuoma wrote:
There was also a really good episode of "The Detectives" that resolved around a Subbuteo match.

http://www.locatetv.com/tv/detectives/season-4/468697
[youtube]pT4nwu2Cg1A[/youtube]

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Suet Cardigan wrote:TIL that the internet is "tailor-made for anti=feminism":
Extreme.png
Apparently people are allowed to post links and facts at each other.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

:bjarte:

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

You should invite your new friend to the pit, Steers.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

For some reason I needed a major Hitch fix. First 30 minutes is an epic Catholic Church Hitch slap. It did the trick. I no longer have the shakes.

[youtube]LrIHw0fZNOA[/youtube]

Tapir

Post by Tapir »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Not the first time Tyson has triggered the snowflakes....

http://i.imgur.com/FIZsuW8.jpg

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Steersman wrote:FWIW ...

I had a suspicion that it was a comment by you Steers ... the second tweet removed any lingering doubt ... yep! :lol: :lol: :lol:

feathers

Post by feathers »

Guest_0048cc29 wrote:
"the internet interprets censorship as damage and routes around it" -- John Gilmore, EFF founder
Well done, sir or madame, well done.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Skep tickle wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:This, ladies and gentlemen, is the "tribe I'm supposed to belong to. Skip to 1:15

[youtube]3O72lItS4OA[/youtube]
Picturing Phil standing behind the stage at this performance.

Incoming!
Please, Phil, do not watch that in your Oculus Rift.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

The "B" Ark!

[youtube]_1xrfcj8JLQ[/youtube]