That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Re: Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Post by John Greg »

How come, Brive?

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

katamari Damassi wrote:Also, does Atheism Plus still exist? I must be feeling nostalgic tonight.
I remember when they rolled that out: the were sure it was going to be the "new wave of atheism". I decided to use Google trends to get a sense of how well that trend caught on. I used some prominent atheists as controls. The result is a cute demonstration of why log scales can sometimes be useful in displaying data.
Attachments
A Plus JMcC.jpg
(41.58 KiB) Downloaded 439 times
A Plus JMcC PZ.jpg
(62.67 KiB) Downloaded 427 times
A Plus PZ Dawkins.jpg
(68.85 KiB) Downloaded 435 times

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

John Greg wrote:How come, Brive?
Pm'ed. :(

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

And now David Bowie is gone.

[youtube]XXq5VvYAI1Q[/youtube]

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Yeah, why?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

This Is Sheffield Phoenix's one nod to peer review:
Manuscripts offered by the author will always be sent for evaluation to a series editor or a reader for the Press.
A reader.

For an adademic press they are remarkably light on when it comes to touting the rigour of their scholarship QA.

Sheffield Phoenix have however gone to significant trouble to provide authors with other cheat sheets.

See their guide which includes such gems as
Contents page checked for consistency with chapter titles (including capitalization), and (if hard copy is submitted) with page numbers for the ms as submitted
and
Bibliography, formatted in traditional or author–date style. Should contain all items mentioned in book, and only those.
http://www.sheffieldphoenix.com/covers/ ... cklist.pdf

Keating

Post by Keating »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Yeah, why?
I assumed it was David Bowie, until his next post.

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

KiwiInOz wrote:And now David Bowie is gone.

:cry: Wow. RIP DB.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Cnutella wrote:A+ has a mild resurgence of posting over Christmas and the New Year, but by the usual suspects only. Countess Isolde (not a real countess) spoke words of heresy by suggesting that the term "male privilege" be retired in favor of "masculine privilege" for reasons too involved and boring to recount here, although there was a hint of awareness in the post that harping on constantly about male privilege might not be the best way to win friends and the culture war.

Elyse got a poorly done tattoo of a quote from The Unbreakable Kimmy Schimdt" two days ago, and then was moaning about how lttle money she has in her bank accunt last night, so hopefully the tattoo was a freebie. I suspect it wasn't, though.

I know nothing about either her court case or Banders's court case (if that's still going), but I haven't really been paying attention to the wacky goings on in Elyse world other than what crops up on Twitter.
Elyse's car was repossessed a few days ago. She was a complete dick to a commenter who tried to console her with info about how to get her possessions back, from inside the car. Her next court date is the 29th.

I can't tell if her black eye posted 11 hours ago is the same one from 2 weeks ago and 5 weeks and 8 weeks. Permanent feature now?

Does Elyse understand that a 'welfare queen' is a person who obtains expensive benefits she doesn't rightfully deserve, by filing multiple fraudulent claims?

"Last I checked rape was a crime & should be investigated for free. If that makes me a welfare queen, I want a crown."

Billy The Hillbilly

Post by Billy The Hillbilly »

El Chapo has just found out that the Sean Penn interview led to his re-capture --

http://ib1.huluim.com/video/60192412?re ... ze=600x400

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

David Bowie lived on Crosby Street with Iman. I'd see him on the sidewalk, every few months or few years. The best time was when a guy on a bike pulled-up to him, holding out a slip of paper-- then asked in broken immigrant-talk, if Bowie could point him toward the written address-- to deliver take-out food. Bowie was amused that he hadn't been recognized, that the guy wasn't asking for an autograph. He was beaming, as he gave directions.

Freak. Out. inaMoonageDaydream, oh YEah.

[youtube]
HkrGyRupneM
[/youtube]

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

[youtube]HkrGyRupneM[/youtube]

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

[youtube]HkrGyRupneM[/youtube]

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

[.youtube]XXq5VvYAI1Q[/youtube]
What? That's not supposed to happen :shock:

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Here's a recent and appropriately melancholic song of his (that I hadn't heard before today).

[youtube]QWtsV50_-p4[/youtube]

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Well, that's a shit start for 2016. Farewell DB, you magnificent bastard! :(

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Brive1987 wrote:
Pm'ed. :(
Well shit Brive :(

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

I think they should cremate Bowie, seal him up in a coffee can and put him in orbit, so he'll always be in a tin can far above the world.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Fuck. Bought his new album last week.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Hope you are ok Brive.
RIP David Bowie.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

The true villains in the Cologne attacks? Why, right wingers of course!
But my fear is that Willkommenskultur could end up as nothing more than a slogan. The people who always wanted it to fail, who believe in a Germans-only state, are abusing the fears and insecurities we all have over the background of the new arrivals. And more than that, they are abusing the dozens of women who were victims of assault on New Year’s Eve

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ne-attacks

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Shit, I'm almost afraid to ask what's wrong, Brive. You ok, buddy?

And RIP David Bowie. Damn. 2016 is off to a really bad start. :(

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Service Dog wrote:Elyse's car was repossessed a few days ago. She was a complete dick to a commenter who tried to console her with info about how to get her possessions back, from inside the car. Her next court date is the 29th.
I have little interest in Elyse outside of the fact that she's inflicting her misery and mental instability onto her children, so if and when they're finally rescued from her clutches I hope to never have to hear anything about her miserable, pathetic excuse of an adult existence ever again.

Søren Lilholt

Post by Søren Lilholt »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Laurie Penny writes on the events in Cologne-read it you racist scum.
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/fe ... l-feminism
My favorite bit:
For all that these people claim to hate 'Islamic' sexual violence, it seems to fascinate them. In the past three years, I’ve lost count of the white men - and it is almost always white men- who have emailed, tweeted and sent me doctored pictures sharing their graphic fantasies in which feminist harpies like me are stoned to death, fucked to death, genitally mutilated, whipped, burned and gang-raped - not by them of course. By those awful Muslims. There seems to be an almost erotic fascination with the rhetoric of sexual violence these men associate with Muslims - it's so awful that they have to concentrate really hard on the details and maybe save some screenshots to contemplate later in private.
I'm not sure how she can tell it's white men sending her those pictures. :think:
After all don't men of all races have sick fantasies of muslim men genitally mutilating and fucking white women to death?
Don't you see? Because people send Laurie Penny rude pictures, that proves there is no problem with Islam!

Of all the braindead apologia for Jizzlam I've seen over the years, that has to be the most transparently feeble. In their desperation to defend this medieval bullshit at all costs, it's almost as if the retarded regressive left WANT there to be a huge shift in voters towards the right wing. Cunts.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Pitchguest wrote:Shit, I'm almost afraid to ask what's wrong, Brive. You ok, buddy?

I'm not ill thank god. Thanks for the call out I'll pm.

Soapy Stevens

Post by Soapy Stevens »

Søren Lilholt wrote:In their desperation to defend this medieval bullshit at all costs, it's almost as if the retarded regressive left WANT there to be a huge shift in voters towards the right wing. Cunts.
I am beginning to wonder whether the Koch Brothers have diverted funding from the Tea Party and the like to the SJW movement having realised it's likely to be far more effective in obtaining what they want.

Couch

Post by Couch »

Brive1987 wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:Shit, I'm almost afraid to ask what's wrong, Brive. You ok, buddy?

I'm not ill thank god. Thanks for the call out I'll pm.
Hope everything is OK, Brive.

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

David Bowie has died of cancer aged 69.

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

Well that will teach me not to refresh, it's all over the media here in the UK. I wonder how long he had been ill? At least he managed to keep it out of the news, surprising feat these days.

SM12

Post by SM12 »

The situation in Germany is frightening.

The next big event is Rosenmontag.

That is a school holiday in NRW.

Thousands of 14,15 and 16 year old German schoolgirls will be on the streets of Cologne, Dusseldorf, Neuss and Mainz in fancy dress.

There could be race war by Aschermittwoch.

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

Wow, an SJW cartoon explaining sexism that's actually somewhat amusing. And in the Guardian, no less.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... xism-again

Even if you don't find it funny, you still have to admit that it's the first SJW cartoon to use the phrase "Show us your norks". The forced blokeiness of it may still grate though.

Billy The Hillbilly

Billy The Hillbilly

FYI
[youtube]0pMifJt0m1w[/youtube] :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :shifty: :shifty: :shifty: :shifty: :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Cnutella wrote:Wow, an SJW cartoon explaining sexism that's actually somewhat amusing. And in the Guardian, no less.

Even if you don't find it funny, you still have to admit that it's the first SJW cartoon to use the phrase "Show us your norks". The forced blokeiness of it may still grate though.
It's the sheer tediousness, not to mention the usual special pleading, that grates on me.

It is precisely BECAUSE our society is so indulgent to women that feminists are able to behave the way they do. We want to make women happy, so they act up over the slightest thing, knowing we will bend over backwards to try and placate them. Muslims don't give a shit about making women happy, so acting up doesn't work on them, so they don't bother. They're just spoiled children who know which parent is a soft touch and which one isn't.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Shatterface wrote: Officially the nerdiest cartoon ever:

http://www.loglan.org/Texts/UorfCartoon.gif
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette [Worf] hypothèse."

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Cnutella wrote:Wow, an SJW cartoon explaining sexism that's actually somewhat amusing. And in the Guardian, no less.

So hitting on women at work is sexism? Many couples I know have met at work, and in most cases it was the man who hit on the woman. It seems that they didn't mind the sexism.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

mordacious1 wrote:I think they should cremate Bowie, seal him up in a coffee can and put him in orbit, so he'll always be in a tin can far above the world.
Wow. Gutted. This was the first place I heard about. His Let's Dance tour was the first concert I went to where I'm not embarrassed about to admit having attended. Scary Monsters and Super Creeps is still in my personal top 10 albums.

I second your motion mordacious1.

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

The inevitable street protests & counter protests are finally here:

http://katu.com/news/nation-world/hundr ... f-assaults

"Hundreds demonstrate, some violently, in Germany after string of assaults"

"COLOGNE, Germany (AP) Women's rights activists, far-right demonstrators and leftwing counter-protesters took to the streets of Cologne on Saturday to voice their opinions in the debate that has followed a string of New Year's Eve sexual assaults and robberies blamed largely on foreigners.

Amid the heightened public pressure, Chancellor Angela Merkel's party proposed stricter laws regulating asylum-seekers in the country some 1.1 million of whom arrived last year.

Police said that around 1,700 protesters from the anti-Islam PEGIDA movement were kept apart from 1,300 counter-demonstrators in simultaneous protests outside the city's main train station.

PEGIDA members held banners with slogans like "RAPEfugees not welcome" and "Integrate barbarity?" while the counter-protesters pushed the message "refugees welcome."

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

Billy The Hillbilly wrote:FYI
[youtube]0pMifJt0m1w[/youtube] :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :shifty: :shifty: :shifty: :shifty: :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
It's his daughter...

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Imjust had another email from Sheffield.

They claim there is no difference in prestige between academic and University Presses. The only distinction is between academic and non academic.

Which makes them level field with Oxford University Press.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

My email:
Dear Ailsa

Thank you again, and I hope it was clear my question wasn't implying that SPP is anything but a high quality reputable press.

Could I close off with a final request please? I understand you may not normally have time to respond to such questions. However given the need to clarify the author's affiliation ambiguity, I would appreciate an exception be made in this case.

The review process for books - does SPP use referees after contracts have been signed to ensure accuracy or do you go through the whole pre contract peer review / selection process - as if the book was being submitted as a journal article?

Either approach would produce a quality output - but each has a slightly different context. I am keen to describe "On the Historicity of Jesus" accurately.

Kind regards

Their response:
Many thanks for your email, we are happy to clarify on this for you, whatever may be the case in the USA, in the UK we are familiar with two kinds of publishers (at least): academic and trade. All academic publishers operate on the same basis, of making publishing decisions on the merits of a proposal as assessed by experts in the field (‘peer review’). This is true for university publishers like Cambridge University Press and non-university publishers like Bloomsbury Academic, Routledge, Macmillan, Blackwell. There is no difference between the groups in the reviewing process. Nor is there any difference in prestige between university presses and independent academic publishers (e.g. some authors may like to be published by Oxford, but no one can say it is a ‘better’ publisher than Macmillan, for example).

Sheffield Phoenix Press (and before it Sheffield Academic Press) are independent academic publishers. A publishing house can only call itself ‘University of X Press’ if the university agrees, and perhaps if it ‘owns’ it in some sense. It would be a mistake to think that what a ‘university’ press publishes is somehow approved of or authenticated by the university. Publishers of university presses would be affronted if their university attempted to influence their publishing decisions.

I hope this now brings this matter to a close.
An observant reader will note

+ they ignored my question.
+ they claim there is no hierarchy of academic publishers
+ they think someone said that uni presses content is controlled or edited by the institution. ?

I'm calling bs on this company.

Søren Lilholt

Post by Søren Lilholt »

Brive1987 wrote:My email:
Dear Ailsa

Thank you again, and I hope it was clear my question wasn't implying that SPP is anything but a high quality reputable press.

Could I close off with a final request please? I understand you may not normally have time to respond to such questions. However given the need to clarify the author's affiliation ambiguity, I would appreciate an exception be made in this case.

The review process for books - does SPP use referees after contracts have been signed to ensure accuracy or do you go through the whole pre contract peer review / selection process - as if the book was being submitted as a journal article?

Either approach would produce a quality output - but each has a slightly different context. I am keen to describe "On the Historicity of Jesus" accurately.

Kind regards

Their response:
Many thanks for your email, we are happy to clarify on this for you, whatever may be the case in the USA, in the UK we are familiar with two kinds of publishers (at least): academic and trade. All academic publishers operate on the same basis, of making publishing decisions on the merits of a proposal as assessed by experts in the field (‘peer review’). This is true for university publishers like Cambridge University Press and non-university publishers like Bloomsbury Academic, Routledge, Macmillan, Blackwell. There is no difference between the groups in the reviewing process. Nor is there any difference in prestige between university presses and independent academic publishers (e.g. some authors may like to be published by Oxford, but no one can say it is a ‘better’ publisher than Macmillan, for example).

Sheffield Phoenix Press (and before it Sheffield Academic Press) are independent academic publishers. A publishing house can only call itself ‘University of X Press’ if the university agrees, and perhaps if it ‘owns’ it in some sense. It would be a mistake to think that what a ‘university’ press publishes is somehow approved of or authenticated by the university. Publishers of university presses would be affronted if their university attempted to influence their publishing decisions.

I hope this now brings this matter to a close.
An observant reader will note

+ they claim there is no hierarchy of academic publishers
+ they think someone said that uni presses content is controlled or edited by the institution. ?

I'm calling bs on this company.
Never mind. You've proven once and for all that Carrier is a lying* cunt, that's the main thing. :clap:

* Sorry, I mean "pays insufficient attention to nuance". (Nuance FFS! What a dismal fraud)

feathers

Post by feathers »

katamari Damassi wrote:Elyse has dropped off the radar. Whatever happened with her arrest? Is she finally in the padded cell?
Yeah, and what about the Parody Accountant?
I mean, why's he not here, not why's he not in a padded cell

feathers

Post by feathers »

Shatterface wrote:

Fuck. Bought his new album last week.
Now you can't get your money back.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

dogen wrote: This is nothing more than gambler's ruin. The house wins because the house can afford to continue playing, whereas the gambler cannot.
The house would go quickly bankrupt if they offfered a constant jackpot of $1,3 billion.

What makes them able to win in the long run is that the jackpot isn't constant, but gets progressively higher every time no one wins.

However Becky technically isn't wrong. If you really want to bet, it's marginally better to bet on the Powerball only once the jackpot gets past the value which makes Powerball a game with a positive expected value.

Since this happens rarely (once every a great number of games) the losses for the gambler are small.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Sexist_Profiterole would make a kickass nym.

Some of the comments are great.
LIn3418
2h ago

I have a croquembouche mould to sell if that's any help. Seriously I do, it's near a 40/50 cm aluminium conical mould that you place your choux pastry puffs in, then drizzle as you like with toffee or chocolate.
Any takers?

man_cuddles
30m ago

I thought man/male tears had been reappropriated to mean semen

wgilbert
27m ago

I have to admit I am a bit lost on the point being made by about 50% of this cartoon. The middle bit about the accumulation of individual instances is intereresting but I could really use some clarification on why the reversed situations are dismissed with the "man tears" box. Surely someone abusing a position of power is equally wrong whatever the persons gender? Is it saying that the context of repeated instances has to be considered when ascribing value? Personally I hold myself to a standard of behaviour that isn't contingent on prior knowledge of the actions of others toward a particular person. Maybe because I went to a catholic school, but I tend to think of certain issues of morality in absolute terms, I don't know. I would argue though that all the examples given are morally indefensible whether in a vacuum or in a specific context.

Secondly, why "man tears", why not just "tears"? Is there someone qualitative difference between a man crying and a woman crying that ascribes greater or lesser value to one or the other? Am I missing something?
In the last comment, someone correctly points out that it is sexist for a female boss to hit on a male. But feminists don't buy that, hence *structural* power, and as long as they can keep claiming that white cishet males have all of the structural power, then women, and minorities, will be perpetual victims no matter what they do.(unless of course they want MTF TW who look like Danielle Muscato in women's private spaces, at which point penises are no longer scary and women rape just as much if not more than white cishet shitlords)

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

I was hit on a couple of times by a female manager and was quite pleased about it really, particularly as she was both hot and smart. It wasn't going to go anywhere but I enjoyed the flirtation and found the attention flattering. PATRIARCHY.

John D

Post by John D »

Ouch. Bowie's death hurts me a bit more than most celebs passing. I just heard an interview with him and I was telling my wife he turned 69 while we were having dinner last night. I play a few of his songs. Love "Young American" and his version of "China Girl" (written by Iggy Pop).

Went to the "Serious Moonlight" tour at Detroit's Cobo Hall. Locked my keys in my car by mistake and found that it had been stolen when I got back to the parking spot. Found a tire iron next to the spot so I brought it to the Police station to report the theft. They gave me a puzzled look and the one cop said "Hey Sarg... is this really evidence?" Haha. I actually thought they might give a shit about my car being stolen. Come to find out, no individual car thefts are investigated in Detroit. All they do is look for organizations that chop cars. Anyway... rambling story that involves David Bowie to a small degree.

I will pull the ole Bowie song book out tonight.

John D

Post by John D »

Just remembered how great this song is...
[youtube]v--IqqusnNQ[/youtube]

cnut the great

Post by cnut the great »

Easy J wrote:PEGIDA members held banners with slogans like "RAPEfugees not welcome" and "Integrate barbarity?" while the counter-protesters pushed the message "refugees welcome."
They are sloganeering in English? How convenient for the rest of the west. Or does "RAPEfugees" have a German cognate? Where is Aneris when you need xem?

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

No more Bowie. Damn. :(

One of his lesser known works was 'Chubby Little Loser', which he sang when he appeared in Extras. The chubby little loser in question was Gervais' character - but it can certainly be applied to another fat little sellout we know of, I think.

[youtube]ge7S6-Ta3yg[/youtube]

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Brive1987 wrote:This Is Sheffield Phoenix's one nod to peer review:
Manuscripts offered by the author will always be sent for evaluation to a series editor or a reader for the Press.
A reader.

For an adademic press they are remarkably light on when it comes to touting the rigour of their scholarship QA.

Sheffield Phoenix have however gone to significant trouble to provide authors with other cheat sheets.

Contents page checked for consistency with chapter titles (including capitalization), and (if hard copy is submitted) with page numbers for the ms as submitted
and
Bibliography, formatted in traditional or author–date style. Should contain all items mentioned in book, and only those.
In other words, the external "reviews" are a neat way to farm out the job of copy-editing (which is lengthy, extremely boring, and somewhat expensive when you hire a pro). As I suspected, they aren't reviews in the sense of "should this be published?"

Billie from Ockham

Brive1987 wrote:Imjust had another email from Sheffield.

They claim there is no difference in prestige between academic and University Presses. The only distinction is between academic and non academic.
As categories, I actually agree with them, although there are also publishers who concentrate on textbooks and don't belong in the same group as publishers of academic monographs.

But to suggest that all academic presses are viewed as being the same is nuts. The idea that Taylor & Francis, Elsevier, Wiley, AP, and MITpress are all equals in all fields is laughable.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

From Reddit.
The censorship is getting pretty damn sinister. Go to MSNBC and use their search tool, I wasn't able to find a single story based on these search words: Cologne, New Year rape, or Germany rape. CNN, Reuters, BBCNews, FoxNews all provided results/stories. Notice I did not use any "loaded" words like: Islam, North Africans, refugees, or Muslims. I wanted to keep it to the facts and got nothing from MNSBC.
Whether you lean left or right, withholding or at best ignoring a story where, as of 1/10/2016, German women have reported more than 500 cases of sexual abuse is pretty damn immoral.
Note: I tried giving their search tool the benefit of the doubt and searched from google: site:msnbc.com cologne etc... Got nothing.
the massive damage control campaign across the media.
That include reddit. The mods tried their damndest to bury the story until they got overwhelmed. Disgusting doesn't even describe it.
Even this sunday news from Sweden reports that 200 girl/women were molested in some swedish city by, you guessed it, immigrants! It got covered up because the police-chief feared the fact would give support to the Sweden Democrats (Sweden anti-immigration party).
http://www.dn.se/nyheter/sverige/overgr ... ig-vidare/
In Swedish, but try using Google Translate, or go over to /r/sweden.
I never imagined this shit would come from the left, a fews years ago I would have identified as a left-leaning person, today I don't. Note that doesn't mean I'm right-wing.
permalinkparent
[–]ineedmoresleep 123 points 13 hours ago
Censorship on reddit was downright ridiculous.
And the mods here were deleting mentions of their censorship, too. Try calling them out on it - your comment will disappear.
If your goal is to get people to trust Trump, and those like him, then this is a winning strategy.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Kirbmarc wrote:

So hitting on women at work is sexism? Many couples I know have met at work, and in most cases it was the man who hit on the woman. It seems that they didn't mind the sexism.
Yeah, it's a tricky one. Getting hit on by someone at work is shitty if it's unwanted. Doesn't make it "sexist," of course, but it is a common problem, and it tends to put the hit-on person in a situation that's difficult to navigate: you're stuck there ~40 hours per week, it's making you uncomfortable while you're just trying to be professional and do your job, and so you desperately want it to end. You definitely don't want to send this person the wrong signals, but, you also don't want to be a dick, and you certainly don't want to do anything that undercuts the professional atmosphere or that might jeopardize your standing in the workplace (or theirs—you recognize that this person's behavior isn't harassment and would actually be quite welcome if you were interested).

So what do you do? Do you just give the person the cold shoulder and hope they can take a hint? That's surely the most common response, and it may well work, but it obviously depends on this person's social IQ, and it also comes with the risk of appearing to be a douche (in the eyes of any witnesses, too). If the behavior persists, then, do you speak up to the person in question? That's likely to end the problem but also to bring new ones, especially if being around them is unavoidable: your working relationship with them will be permanently damaged, and there's a chance that rumors out of your control will circulate among coworkers—maybe that you're conceited, or cruel, or unprofessional. There are other options: do you tell the person's superior? contact HR? You could, but who wants to make a federal case of it? And hey, what if this person is your superior?

It's a shitty situation to be in.

Possible Steersman-y partial solution: Tinder for the workplace, with a rule that nobody can make advances on a coworker unless each party has displayed interest in the other on the app.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Brive, can I get a PM too (and maybe help somehow)?

As far as Sheffield Phoenix goes, I don't really see anything damning on their part. That Spunky-D wants to make them an international academic publication is just another tall-tale he's used to weave. I may be off on reading their stuff, but they don't seem too braggy.

I don't think Sheffield Phoenix can earn many kudos from associating with SpunkMeister.

The Yeti

Post by The Yeti »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:This Is Sheffield Phoenix's one nod to peer review:
A reader.

and
In other words, the external "reviews" are a neat way to farm out the job of copy-editing (which is lengthy, extremely boring, and somewhat expensive when you hire a pro). As I suspected, they aren't reviews in the sense of "should this be published?"
http://freethoughtblogs.com/carrier/archives/8551

Perhaps that publisher should have shelled out the money for a professional to edit Carrier's tour-de-force. That long list of errors that slipped through does not reflect well upon the publisher.

Billie from Ockham

Brive1987 wrote:An observant reader will note

No, they didn't. They explained their model of publishing books pretty clearly and it is the most popular model. You send in a proposal (aka "white paper") with an outline of your book, the target audience, expected sales, etc. The outline goes out for review. This is a real review; the proposal can (and often is) rejected as this stage. If accepted, the book goes under contract with due dates, etc. A preliminary version gets comments from readers (not reviewers). The author makes changes. The series editor signs off.

I'm a reader for three US publishers. I only make suggestions. I don't provide summary suggestion as to whether to publish, as it already will be. I get about $500 for a weekend of work because I'm one of the few people who give detailed comments on undergraduate textbooks. I never write stupid, gushing quotables hoping to be on the back cover, mostly because I've never been sent a really good book.

In terms of what Carrier has been saying, it is not typical to refer to a book that was published under this model as having been "peer reviewed" as a yes/no process. Yes, something like that happened at the white-paper/proposal stage, but it's misleading to suggest that actual book was reviewed, which is why we don't talk about it this way. Instead, it's taken as given that the book wasn't invited, so it had to go through the proposal process. What matters in terms of "peer review" is what people have said about it in the NYT Review of Books and various field-specific review outlets.

His book was NOT peer-reviewed. The proposal for the book was peer-reviewed, but that's not the same thing. But, most of all: the few reviews of the actual book that I've seen have not been positive and his book is almost never cited in peer-reviewed articles. It has had zero effect on the field.

Billie from Ockham

Cnutella wrote:I was hit on a couple of times by a female manager and was quite pleased about it really, particularly as she was both hot and smart. It wasn't going to go anywhere but I enjoyed the flirtation and found the attention flattering. PATRIARCHY.
You suck at this. The correct thing to type in after "I was hit on a couple of times by a female manager..." is the URL for your Patreon or GoFundMe.

You should also omit the word "female."

You're welcome.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Brive1987 wrote:Imjust had another email from Sheffield.

Which makes them level field with Oxford University Press.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
There's no inherent difference in prestige between official "University Presses" and other academic presses. But it is true that, in practice, the most prestigious academic presses tend to be a select few UPs (e.g., Oxford, Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Cambridge, Chicago—varies by field to an extent), plus a few private publishers (varies by field to a greater extent). Certainly there are many UPs that are less prestigious than many private publishers.

For all I know, Sheffield Phoenix has some prestige in their field of biblical studies. But I have a sneaking suspicion that their peer-review process isn't particularly strict. I recall that they were a bit evasive or defensive when asked about it, and Carrier also has muddied the waters. One of the things that make the Oxfords and Harvards what they are is their demanding peer-review process. Likewise, I suspect that it's not difficult to get a book accepted for publication by Sheffield Phoenix, assuming you've written one in English. Why do I suspect this? Richard Carrier.