Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Old subthreads
Billie from Ockham

Re: Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Post by Billie from Ockham »

The "review" process for most of the publishers in my field is the same as that used by Sheffield-Phoenix. What makes the publisher prestigious is who they end up publishing and whether the final version is clean. It is not the process that makes for prestige, as they all use roughly the same process.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

cnut the great wrote:
Easy J wrote:PEGIDA members held banners with slogans like "RAPEfugees not welcome" and "Integrate barbarity?" while the counter-protesters pushed the message "refugees welcome."
They are sloganeering in English? How convenient for the rest of the west. Or does "RAPEfugees" have a German cognate? Where is Aneris when you need xem?
They have banners in English.

http://www.globalpost.com/sites/default ... k=BTYZhnKP

Pegida seems to be a pretty shady organization, and I completely understand why people would do not want them to get any kind of power, but they really have a point about the police not doing anything on New Year's Eve.

The worst part of the Cologne event was the lack of any meaningful reaction from the police. Surely someone alerted them. And they have water cannons, which they used against some Pegida demonstrations. They could have dispersed the crowd of harassers rather easily.

Why didn't they act like they did to dmeonstrators who get too close to them? Were they afraid of being accused of racism?

If Merkel doesn't want to give power to the far-right she should put some pressure on the German police not to be afraid to act against refugees or immigrants who violate the German laws.

The Yeti

Post by The Yeti »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:An observant reader will note

+ they ignored my question.
No, they didn't. They explained their model of publishing books pretty clearly and it is the most popular model. You send in a proposal (aka "white paper") with an outline of your book, the target audience, expected sales, etc. The outline goes out for review. This is a real review; the proposal can (and often is) rejected as this stage. If accepted, the book goes under contract with due dates, etc. A preliminary version gets comments from readers (not reviewers). The author makes changes. The series editor signs off.

I'm a reader for three US publishers. I only make suggestions. I don't provide summary suggestion as to whether to publish, as it already will be. I get about $500 for a weekend of work because I'm one of the few people who give detailed comments on undergraduate textbooks. I never write stupid, gushing quotables hoping to be on the back cover, mostly because I've never been sent a really good book.

In terms of what Carrier has been saying, it is not typical to refer to a book that was published under this model as having been "peer reviewed" as a yes/no process. Yes, something like that happened at the white-paper/proposal stage, but it's misleading to suggest that actual book was reviewed, which is why we don't talk about it this way. Instead, it's taken as given that the book wasn't invited, so it had to go through the proposal process. What matters in terms of "peer review" is what people have said about it in the NYT Review of Books and various field-specific review outlets.

His book was NOT peer-reviewed. The proposal for the book was peer-reviewed, but that's not the same thing. But, most of all: the few reviews of the actual book that I've seen have not been positive and his book is almost never cited in peer-reviewed articles. It has had zero effect on the field.
In the comments of the post I linked to above about the typos, Sticky Dicky explains to his legions of fans why his book won't be reviewed by reputable scholars in the field:
Dr. Richard Carrier PhD, internet cunt wrote: Because if they can’t honestly refute it, they have to admit it makes a plausible, competent case, and they cannot afford to do the latter, and cannot do the former, so it’s best if they do nothing and hope it becomes forgotten.

By contrast, if they could take it apart, they would not hesitate to do so in academic journals. So that’s how we know they can’t. Because they would have by now.

But that leaves only one option: a favorable review—because even a neutral review will be “favorable,” as it will be read by their peers as endorsing it. That will subject them to be targeted in turn as fringe crazies who have lost it, and the fear is that professional punishment will ensue, as happened to Thomas Thompson (I know more than one insider expert who won’t come out publicly as a historicity agnostic for essentially this reason).

They can lose access to grants, jobs, they can be punished by peer reviewers and publishers and conference committees (who select who can present at a conference), their schools can lose donors (or be pressured to fire them; or if they have tenure, to make their jobs so miserable with committee work and office reassignment and other torments that they resign), and they can just be targeted with humiliating and shaming in general (and honor and reputation is still a valued commodity in the field).

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Brive1987 wrote:An observant reader will note

+ they ignored my question.
No, they didn't. They explained their model of publishing books pretty clearly and it is the most popular model. You send in a proposal (aka "white paper") with an outline of your book, the target audience, expected sales, etc. The outline goes out for review. This is a real review; the proposal can (and often is) rejected as this stage. If accepted, the book goes under contract with due dates, etc. A preliminary version gets comments from readers (not reviewers). The author makes changes. The series editor signs off.

I'm a reader for three US publishers. I only make suggestions. I don't provide summary suggestion as to whether to publish, as it already will be. I get about $500 for a weekend of work because I'm one of the few people who give detailed comments on undergraduate textbooks. I never write stupid, gushing quotables hoping to be on the back cover, mostly because I've never been sent a really good book.

In terms of what Carrier has been saying, it is not typical to refer to a book that was published under this model as having been "peer reviewed" as a yes/no process. Yes, something like that happened at the white-paper/proposal stage, but it's misleading to suggest that actual book was reviewed, which is why we don't talk about it this way. Instead, it's taken as given that the book wasn't invited, so it had to go through the proposal process. What matters in terms of "peer review" is what people have said about it in the NYT Review of Books and various field-specific review outlets.

His book was NOT peer-reviewed. The proposal for the book was peer-reviewed, but that's not the same thing. But, most of all: the few reviews of the actual book that I've seen have not been positive and his book is almost never cited in peer-reviewed articles. It has had zero effect on the field.
They answered a specific question with a generality and have a crappy para on their website -'your paragraph is far better and specific. I am still keen to learn whether a contract was signed before the actual full text was peer reviewed. If in fact it ever was. A "review" of a proposal doesn't even hit my radar as a peer review of the work. Am I wrong in this?
Thank you,for your reply.

I never suggested University Presses were editorially controlled by admin, but thanks for addressing.

Peer review can vary between publishers, depending on whether, say a final editorial board comprises acquiring editors or scholars, the number of academic reviewers, the pool size etc

In this case I was interested in the process used at SPP - your website suggests a single reader? I also wanted to clarify if a book contract had been signed prior to review or not.

Re status, I beg to differ. While there are no official lists, there are A list publishers and within-field debate about and competition for certain presses. It is not the completely flat playing field you suggest.

Thanks for your feedback and I would welcome it if you could clarify your peer process,

Billie from Ockham

Unlike journal articles, it is very difficult to come up with objective measures of a book's impact. One simple measure (that is actually used) is to simply check to see how many libraries (still) have a copy. According to WorldCat ... http://www.worldcat.org ... Carrier's book is in 59 libraries. To give you an idea of where that ranks, Sam Harris' Waking Up (published the same year) is in 1,247 libraries and Dawkins' The Magic of Reality (also 2012) is in 1,746 libraries.

Lest you think there is a bias against books on the question of whether Jesus existed, Shirley Jackson Case's The Historicity of Jesus (now 100 years old) is still in 466 libraries.

NoGodsEver

Post by NoGodsEver »

Jesus fucking Christ, Elyse's tattoo. One of the stupidest things I've ever seen.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Billie from Ockham wrote:The "review" process for most of the publishers in my field is the same as that used by Sheffield-Phoenix. What makes the publisher prestigious is who they end up publishing and whether the final version is clean. It is not the process that makes for prestige, as they all use roughly the same process.
Is there not an element of "pick and choose" with the A list publishers? Be they UP or noted in field APs?

So that being choosen suggests you have met an overall quality benchmark as well as a technical benchmark?
A bit like meeting the dress code and being selected by the bouncer for entry.

Billie from Ockham

Brive1987 wrote:They answered a specific question with a generality and have a crappy para on their website -'your paragraph is far better and specific. I am still keen to learn whether a contract was signed before the actual full text was peer reviewed. If in fact it ever was. A "review" of a proposal doesn't even hit my radar as a peer review of the work. Am I wrong in this?
Unless they are lying about being typical (and there's no reason to think this), not only was the final version not subjected to what is known as "peer review," but no complete manuscript was reviewed, either. Only the proposal was reviewed. The format of the proposal does vary across publishers and different authors might be asked for more or less. To me, that's the only open question here. It was almost definitely under contract before Carrier sent in the first full draft. That's standard.

As to whether a review of the proposal counts as "peer review" ... that's a matter of opinion. I'm much closer to your position than those who mostly write books and not articles. The review of a typical proposal really comes down to whether the author's approach to the question makes sense; it is not a review of the link between theory and evidence because the details are not in the proposal. What is probably came down to was this: Carrier said that he was going to used Bayes to calculate the odds that Jesus existed. He probably also claimed to be an expert on assigning probabilities to claims. This idea was sent to a few people and they said "yeah, that sounds interesting" and based on this Sheffield-Phoenix put it under contract. Then Carrier finished the book and sent it in. Some of the readers got back to them by the deadline with comments; at least one did not. Carrier made some changes and off it went to (what appears to be) an incompetent copy-editor.

As I said above, because the final product is not subjected to a real review (i.e., one that could lead to rejection), what matters for books is whether people read it, write reviews, and/or cite it. It's not being read by many people (see WorldCat stuff above); there are almost no scholarly reviews of it and they are not kind; it has been cited about 5 times by people other than Carrier. In summary, it has had no impact.

Billie from Ockham

Brive1987 wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote:The "review" process for most of the publishers in my field is the same as that used by Sheffield-Phoenix. What makes the publisher prestigious is who they end up publishing and whether the final version is clean. It is not the process that makes for prestige, as they all use roughly the same process.
Is there not an element of "pick and choose" with the A list publishers? Be they UP or noted in field APs?
Absolutely. That, to me, is the measure of prestige of a publisher. If the top names in the field are publishing through you, then you are or soon will be the "prestigious" publisher in that field. I know nothing about academic books on religion, so I have no idea is Sheffield-Phoenix is prestigious, but I will note that a big deal was made of Bart Ehrman (who people have heard of, unlike Carrier) moving to Simon & Schuster, and that Sheffield-Phoenix was not even mentioned as attending the recent joint conference of The American Academy of Religion and the Society of Biblical Literature.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

KiwiInOz wrote:And now David Bowie is gone.

[youtube]XXq5VvYAI1Q[/youtube]
Ziggy Stardust at the Central Hall in Chatham, Kent was the second concert I ever attended (the first being Savoy Brown and Chicken Shack at the same venue a few weeks earlier).

Billie from Ockham

My wife and I sang Kooks together to our first-born. Now, in high-school, this child is often asked by music teachers to lip-sync only at school concerts. I insist that these are unrelated events.

NoGodsEver

Post by NoGodsEver »

Lsuoma wrote:Did any other Seattleites nearly shit themselves this afternoon?
Yes, except for the 'nearly' part.
Lsuoma wrote:The result was good, and even better, it might send Peezy all ranty?
Why would PZ care though?

some guy

Post by some guy »

Billie from Ockham wrote:His book was NOT peer-reviewed. The proposal for the book was peer-reviewed, but that's not the same thing. But, most of all: the few reviews of the actual book that I've seen have not been positive and his book is almost never cited in peer-reviewed articles. It has had zero effect on the field.
OTOH, he may have written the book then shopped it around, after first getting it "reviewed" by some buds, and then the publisher did whatever they do with such submissions. (I think this is what he said in the past, although my memory is not concrete on this).

For me the main issue with Carrier's use of the term "peer review" is that he is implying something that did not happen. I've never heard the term used to describe any other book (even in the sciences). Which is not so say that my ignorance is conclusive evidence here, but I suspect he is attempting to puff up his work by implying that the "peer review" was similar to what is done in the sciences. Whereas I am certain it was not.

The "peer review" given to a (typically 5-15 page) research report submitted to a research journal consists of the reviewer evaluating the quality and importance of the science: e.g., the strengths and weaknesses of the experimental methods, the quality of the data obtained, the reasonableness of the authors interpretation of the data in light of the work of others, as well as providing a subjective assessment of the importance of the work in that particular field, etc. If your paper is published by a credible journal, the fact that it survived peer review is no guarantee of its quality, but it is some evidence that at least others in your field don't think its rubbish.

Clearly that is not the case for a 700 page book "history" book. It would be interesting for Carrier to show the actual reviews his "peer reviewer" submitted to see exactly what they did.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Service Dog wrote:I can't tell if her black eye posted 11 hours ago is the same one from 2 weeks ago and 5 weeks and 8 weeks. Permanent feature now?
I was afraid of that. Of course there is no telling if it is her husband, one of her frequent other dates, her getting into fights out on the town, or self inflicted.

Billie from Ockham

(Nice to know that some guy and I don't always disagree....)

In any event, some people have recently tried to rank academic book publishers in terms of total citations and (mean) citations per book. Unfortunately, the rankings stop at 50th, so we still don't know where Sheffield-Phoenix stands (or sits or squats or whatever).

This could be unfair, however, as there may be so few people working on religion (as an academic field) that a publishing house specializing in the area won't get many citations, no matter what.
Attachments
pubs - Copy.jpg
(300.08 KiB) Downloaded 310 times

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

NoGodsEver wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:The result was good, and even better, it might send Peezy all ranty?
Well, (a) because some folks were being happy about a sporting event; and (b) I think he's from Auburn, WA (just south of SEA) or somewhere close by.

John D

Post by John D »

another lurker wrote:From Reddit.
The censorship is getting pretty damn sinister. Go to MSNBC and use their search tool, I wasn't able to find a single story based on these search words: Cologne, New Year rape, or Germany rape. CNN, Reuters, BBCNews, FoxNews all provided results/stories. Notice I did not use any "loaded" words like: Islam, North Africans, refugees, or Muslims. I wanted to keep it to the facts and got nothing from MNSBC.
Whether you lean left or right, withholding or at best ignoring a story where, as of 1/10/2016, German women have reported more than 500 cases of sexual abuse is pretty damn immoral.
Note: I tried giving their search tool the benefit of the doubt and searched from google: site:msnbc.com cologne etc... Got nothing.
the massive damage control campaign across the media.
That include reddit. The mods tried their damndest to bury the story until they got overwhelmed. Disgusting doesn't even describe it.
Even this sunday news from Sweden reports that 200 girl/women were molested in some swedish city by, you guessed it, immigrants! It got covered up because the police-chief feared the fact would give support to the Sweden Democrats (Sweden anti-immigration party).
http://www.dn.se/nyheter/sverige/overgr ... ig-vidare/
In Swedish, but try using Google Translate, or go over to /r/sweden.
I never imagined this shit would come from the left, a fews years ago I would have identified as a left-leaning person, today I don't. Note that doesn't mean I'm right-wing.
permalinkparent
[–]ineedmoresleep 123 points 13 hours ago
Censorship on reddit was downright ridiculous.
And the mods here were deleting mentions of their censorship, too. Try calling them out on it - your comment will disappear.
If your goal is to get people to trust Trump, and those like him, then this is a winning strategy.
Fuck it. I am voting Trump.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Billie from Ockham wrote:(Nice to know that some guy and I don't always disagree....)

In any event, some people have recently tried to rank academic book publishers in terms of total citations and (mean) citations per book. Unfortunately, the rankings stop at 50th, so we still don't know where Sheffield-Phoenix stands (or sits or squats or whatever).

This could be unfair, however, as there may be so few people working on religion (as an academic field) that a publishing house specializing in the area won't get many citations, no matter what.
I ran into that paper the other day—is that chart specific to the field of history?

NoGodsEver

Post by NoGodsEver »

Lsuoma wrote:
NoGodsEver wrote:
Well, (a) because some folks were being happy about a sporting event; and (b) I think he's from Auburn, WA (just south of SEA) or somewhere close by.
I think he's from Kent. The Cunt from Kent.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

I went on a date with a shoe designer. It went so-so. I was surprised she texted today, complaining about having to go to work. I joked, "Don't let it affect your job performance/ don't take it out on your customers by making Fluevogs." She didn't know what Fluevogs are. I wasn't sure whether to think less or better of her, for not knowing. Preggo housemate was leaving for work. She has a fashion degree & makes Broadway costumes. I asked if she knows about Fluevogs. She thought it was a video blog about the flu. Basically, yes. I showed her pics of Fluevogs. She groaned. I showed her pics of Greta Christina, the human fluevog.. She said, "Stop, you're going to make my baby come-out ugly."

ffs

Post by ffs »

I heard PZ is very happy that a rich white man died to distract us from the race issues going on in Cologne

Billie from Ockham

Guestus Aurelius wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote:(Nice to know that some guy and I don't always disagree....)

I ran into that paper the other day—is that chart specific to the field of history?
All academic fields were included, from what I can tell.

Billie from Ockham

Service Dog wrote:I went on a date with a shoe designer.
My unasked-for advice: buy a medieval helmet and go on a designer date with a sh0e, instead.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

PZ is more likely to be spiteful toward the Vikings for being liked by his neighbors. He's happy they lost, or smug about not following football. He probably identifies with Seattle the same way he thinks of himself as a sophisticated European intellectual. Unless his playerhater faggotry makes him hate Seattle, too.

In junior high there were 4 football squads, so we had separate names from the main school mascot. Another team called themselves the Cornhuskers as an inside joke about masturbation. So my team called ourselves the Fudge Packers.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

some guy wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote:His book was NOT peer-reviewed. The proposal for the book was peer-reviewed, but that's not the same thing. But, most of all: the few reviews of the actual book that I've seen have not been positive and his book is almost never cited in peer-reviewed articles. It has had zero effect on the field.
OTOH, he may have written the book then shopped it around, after first getting it "reviewed" by some buds, and then the publisher did whatever they do with such submissions. (I think this is what he said in the past, although my memory is not concrete on this).

For me the main issue with Carrier's use of the term "peer review" is that he is implying something that did not happen. I've never heard the term used to describe any other book (even in the sciences). Which is not so say that my ignorance is conclusive evidence here, but I suspect he is attempting to puff up his work by implying that the "peer review" was similar to what is done in the sciences. Whereas I am certain it was not.

The "peer review" given to a (typically 5-15 page) research report submitted to a research journal consists of the reviewer evaluating the quality and importance of the science: e.g., the strengths and weaknesses of the experimental methods, the quality of the data obtained, the reasonableness of the authors interpretation of the data in light of the work of others, as well as providing a subjective assessment of the importance of the work in that particular field, etc. If your paper is published by a credible journal, the fact that it survived peer review is no guarantee of its quality, but it is some evidence that at least others in your field don't think its rubbish.

Clearly that is not the case for a 700 page book "history" book. It would be interesting for Carrier to show the actual reviews his "peer reviewer" submitted to see exactly what they did.
I imagine most people who have any inkling of what peer-review means think it is a process applied before a paper gets published in a journal. I think calling the assessment of whether a proposed book is worth publishing by the same name is confusing, and for Tricky Dicky to repeatedly insist his publications are peer-reviewed is misleading most of his audience. I imagine he is dimly aware of that but doesn't object. Eventually, he will come to believe it himself.

Dave

Post by Dave »

Kirbmarc wrote:
dogen wrote: This is nothing more than gambler's ruin. The house wins because the house can afford to continue playing, whereas the gambler cannot.
The house would go quickly bankrupt if they offfered a constant jackpot of $1,3 billion.

What makes them able to win in the long run is that the jackpot isn't constant, but gets progressively higher every time no one wins.

However Becky technically isn't wrong. If you really want to bet, it's marginally better to bet on the Powerball only once the jackpot gets past the value which makes Powerball a game with a positive expected value.

Since this happens rarely (once every a great number of games) the losses for the gambler are small.
As others have pointed out, the expected value is never greater than the cost, for a number of reasons (ex. jackpot splitting, present value adjustments and taxation) however, you are correct that if youre going to play, its better to do so when the jackpot is bigger, as your expected loss is less.

Actually, having bought a ticket for the last drawing, I think it was entirely rational. It generated about a 20 minute conversation with my family fantasizing about what we could do with the money if we won. That entertainment alone was well worth the $2. It also sparked a discussion about how many lottery winners lose all the money, which led to a 30-40 minute discussion with my kids about financial literacy and the value of using money to make money, how certain assets have carrying costs and the importance of properly valuing a potential investment and having industry knowledge. The opportunity to convey these ideas to my kids was worth a lot more than the $2.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Lot of CYA and scrambling to keep jobs going on here - my guess is that the police were under STRONG political instruction to try and keep the lid on this, but now it's failed their being set up as the fall guys. The amount of weaselly discourse here is disgusting...

From http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35280386:
The men suspected of attacking women in Cologne on New Year's Eve were "almost exclusively" from a migration background, mainly North African and Arab, an official report says.

Cologne police also made "serious mistakes" in not calling reinforcements and the way they informed the public.
I'll say it again - this will not end well for Europe, not for the politicos, nor the public, nor pretty much anyone.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Another article on Cologne. From a Christian.

The Patheos atheist channel is teh silent

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/geneveith/ ... mmigrants/

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Service Dog wrote:I went on a date with a shoe designer.
My unasked-for advice: buy a medieval helmet and go on a designer date with a sh0e, instead.
Sh0e lives not so far from me. I've considered 'accidently' stopping by her day job & recognizing her. "Stalking" is a social construct designed to weed out the timid betas. When Armored beat me to the punch, I was satisfied by Proof Of Concept. Armored is approxiamately a younger,dopier version of me. So, woo-hoo, I coulda been a contender. Better to pass the torch, like the Star Wars old fogies. (But I hope Han Solo knocked-up Rey before he walked on that bridge.)

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

It never occurred to me that David Bowie could actually die. I woke up to the news on my clock radio this morning. What a shitty start to the week. Fuck.

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

I guess we'll never see Labyrinth 3D now.

dogen

Post by dogen »

Service Dog wrote:I went on a date with a shoe designer. It went so-so. I was surprised she texted today, complaining about having to go to work. I joked, "Don't let it affect your job performance/ don't take it out on your customers by making Fluevogs." She didn't know what Fluevogs are. I wasn't sure whether to think less or better of her, for not knowing. Preggo housemate was leaving for work. She has a fashion degree & makes Broadway costumes. I asked if she knows about Fluevogs. She thought it was a video blog about the flu. Basically, yes. I showed her pics of Fluevogs. She groaned. I showed her pics of Greta Christina, the human fluevog.. She said, "Stop, you're going to make my baby come-out ugly."
Sounds like she made you feel like a heel.

dogen

Post by dogen »

Service Dog wrote:I went on a date with a shoe designer. It went so-so. I was surprised she texted today, complaining about having to go to work. I joked, "Don't let it affect your job performance/ don't take it out on your customers by making Fluevogs." She didn't know what Fluevogs are. I wasn't sure whether to think less or better of her, for not knowing. Preggo housemate was leaving for work. She has a fashion degree & makes Broadway costumes. I asked if she knows about Fluevogs. She thought it was a video blog about the flu. Basically, yes. I showed her pics of Fluevogs. She groaned. I showed her pics of Greta Christina, the human fluevog.. She said, "Stop, you're going to make my baby come-out ugly."
Sounds like she had no sole.

dogen

Post by dogen »

Sounds like she gave you the boot.

dogen

Post by dogen »

Sounds like you should just walk it off.

dogen

Post by dogen »

Check my quads, bitchez!

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

So the Golden Globes were last night, and though I didn't watch it despite being a fan of Gervais' skewering of the pomposity of the whole thing and the fact that SJWs loathe him makes me love him more, I did catch up on the awards.
A movie I haven't seen called Son of Saul won for foreign language film. It's about death camp sonderkommandos and is supposed to be very good. Ok not to get all Protocols of the EZ on you, but it's an unwritten rule in Hollywood that tragic films about Jews get a adds unless they're unwatchable pieces of shit-Jakob the Liar. Normally it's just a cinephile's annoyance but this year it's really bothering me because there's a fantastic Turkish film called Mustang that every Islam apologizing SJW like Ben Afflek needs to see. And now it will be ignored.

x_?_x

Post by x_?_x »

SIAP, but I thought I might provide a welcome distraction:

Religious kooks behaving like religious kooks.

[youtube]86GCsb5ngns[/youtube]

I miss the halcyon days of wrecking THESE idiots, without worrying about whether I was using problematic gender-specific pronouns.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Cunning Punt wrote:It never occurred to me that David Bowie could actually die. I woke up to the news on my clock radio this morning. What a shitty start to the week. Fuck.
I woke up with Blackstar playing on the CD player I use for my alarm.

Minutes later I looked at my phone and Bowie's death was the top story.

Thanks, Obama!

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

"Adds" was autocorrected from "awards".

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Shatterface wrote:
Cunning Punt wrote:It never occurred to me that David Bowie could actually die. I woke up to the news on my clock radio this morning. What a shitty start to the week. Fuck.
I woke up with Blackstar playing on the CD player I use for my alarm.

Minutes later I looked at my phone and Bowie's death was the top story.

Thanks, Obama!
Fucking muslims!

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

ffs wrote:I heard PZ is very happy that a rich white man died to distract us from the race issues going on in Cologne
Not from PZ this time, not from the dear departed Ophie, but FTB couldn't let a rich white man die without shitting all over him could they? Really? REALLY?

David Bowie was wonderful. He was also an abuser. How do we handle that?

It’s about standing up for survivors in the face of a culture that brushes away abuse of women and girls by rich white men.
https://web.archive.org/save/http://fre ... ndle-that/

Apparently this is filling up Aoife's newsfeed, but strangely when I do a search I can't find any reports of this terrible incident, where he had sex with an underage girl. But Aoife speaks of it as an absolute certainty, although I don't remember a court case proving guilt on Bowie's part.

But Aoife says we must talk about these things, and it's ok to be furious with a person dead less than 24 hours because what Bowie 'did' caused irreversible harm and we must 'condemn the human excrement who do terrible things'.

But she loved Bowie, she really did.

What a bitch.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

But we can ignore "terrible things" if committed by brown people.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

SJW conundrum: whether to piggyback on Bowie's cool by claiming him as gender icon, or dogpile him for trans-appropriation? Given his Honorary Negro status in the opening credits of Soul Train/ and his thin white patriarchal oppression of Iman, the SJWs -gotta- tear him down. They can't stand race-mixing.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Service Dog wrote:PZ is more likely to be spiteful toward the Vikings for being liked by his neighbors. He's happy they lost, or smug about not following football. He probably identifies with Seattle the same way he thinks of himself as a sophisticated European intellectual. Unless his playerhater faggotry makes him hate Seattle, too.

In junior high there were 4 football squads, so we had separate names from the main school mascot. Another team called themselves the Cornhuskers as an inside joke about masturbation. So my team called ourselves the Fudge Packers.

He calls it handegg I'm sure.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

HunnyBunny wrote:
ffs wrote:I heard PZ is very happy that a rich white man died to distract us from the race issues going on in Cologne
Not from PZ this time, not from the dear departed Ophie, but FTB couldn't let a rich white man die without shitting all over him could they? Really? REALLY?

David Bowie was wonderful. He was also an abuser. How do we handle that?

It’s about standing up for survivors in the face of a culture that brushes away abuse of women and girls by rich white men.
https://web.archive.org/save/http://fre ... ndle-that/

Apparently this is filling up Aoife's newsfeed, but strangely when I do a search I can't find any reports of this terrible incident, where he had sex with an underage girl. But Aoife speaks of it as an absolute certainty, although I don't remember a court case proving guilt on Bowie's part.

But Aoife says we must talk about these things, and it's ok to be furious with a person dead less than 24 hours because what Bowie 'did' caused irreversible harm and we must 'condemn the human excrement who do terrible things'.

But she loved Bowie, she really did.

What a bitch.
I guess we aren't supposed to believe the accuser... saying it was an awesome experience for her. https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment ... avid-bowie

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

I wonder who will take over control of The Guild of Calamitous Intent now?

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

HunnyBunny wrote:Apparently this is filling up Aoife's newsfeed, but strangely when I do a search I can't find any reports of this terrible incident, where he had sex with an underage girl.
Lori Maddox

I can't post links, but you can find the story on a peer reviewed academic website called Tumblr, amongst other places.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Oh btw update on my health. I ether got the flu or maybe pneumonia. It's fun.

Søren Lilholt

Post by Søren Lilholt »

Cnutella wrote:I guess we'll never see Labyrinth 3D now.
On the contrary, I'd suggest the chances of a retrofitted re-release have just quadrupled.

But yeah. Shit. I won't be able to listen to any Bowie for a while now - all the songs will sound completely different from now on. Fuck.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Brive1987 wrote:

So that being choosen suggests you have met an overall quality benchmark as well as a technical benchmark?
A bit like meeting the dress code and being selected by the bouncer for entry.
Nononono. Typos and incoherent prose are no barrier to publication. If you are a no name, it is a good idea to give it a once over. If a publisher thinks you will move books or has some other motivation, they won't care. They will just hire an intern to fix it or have the author's editor do it. The woman who wrote twilight is famously unable to write. One of her first drafts was leaked and it was embarrassingly bad.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

comhcinc wrote:
Service Dog wrote:PZ is more likely to be spiteful toward the Vikings for being liked by his neighbors. He's happy they lost, or smug about not following football. He probably identifies with Seattle the same way he thinks of himself as a sophisticated European intellectual. Unless his playerhater faggotry makes him hate Seattle, too.

Confirmed. In the post with the pic of his daughter's ugly vegan cooking. He begrudgingly watched a 'handegg' game because his daughter has become a fan, to his dismay. Crap Dyke and Nerd of Redhead also use 'hand egg', as does Caine... Who says she played beach volleyball in high school!

Phone autocorrect changed 'Crip Dyke', above. Doesn't want me to use badword crip.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

paddybrown wrote: To be fair, even if he used BCE and CE, he'd still be basing his dates on someone he doesn't believe existed, because it's the same dating system as BC and AD, based on Dionyisius Exiguus' estimate of the birth of Jesus. Calling it the "Common Era" is claiming the Christian dating system is universal, when in fact there are other dating systems in use across the world that are just as valid. I submit to you therefore that BCE and CE are far more "culturally imperialist" than BC and AD. So there.
LOL. IMO, BCE & CE are PC and, FWIW, superfluous. The actual year is still derived (albeit tenuously) from JC. AFAICT, BCE & CE were first introduced by Israeli archeologists. BTW, I'm not offended by continuing the use of BC & AD.

NoGodsEver

Post by NoGodsEver »

Service Dog wrote: Confirmed. In the post with the pic of his ugly daughter's vegan cooking. He begrudgingly watched a 'handegg' game because his daughter has become a fan, to his dismay. Crap Dyke and Nerd of Redhead also use 'hand egg', as does Caine... Who says she played beach volleyball in high school!

Phone autocorrect changed 'Crip Dyke', above. Doesn't want me to use badword crip.
FTFY

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Service Dog wrote:
comhcinc wrote:

Confirmed. In the post with the pic of his daughter's ugly vegan cooking. He begrudgingly watched a 'handegg' game because his daughter has become a fan, to his dismay. Crap Dyke and Nerd of Redhead also use 'hand egg', as does Caine... Who says she played beach volleyball in high school!

The only thing worst than a rabid football fan is an asshole that doesn't like football.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

dogen wrote:Check my quads, bitchez!
You sure are in step, but don't be such a vamp!

Billie from Ockham

another lurker wrote:But we can ignore "terrible things" if committed by brown people.
Bowie married a Iman, which I believe is some kind of Muslim priest, and she was brown, so he can't be all bad.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Bowie was a fine actor, though too often wasted in silly cameos. My personal favorite roles of his were Pontius Pilate and Nicolai Tesla.

Billie from Ockham

Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence was his best movie, IMO.