The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by Ape+lust »

comhcinc wrote:
Shatterface wrote:Please stop knocking Australia. It has given so much to the world: Germain Greer, Rolph Harris, that highwayman with a bucket on his head. The list is endless.

It's giving us Mad Max. That's it.
Uh, AC/DC.

Who have given us 1 album 10 times in the past 30 years, bless their consistent hearts.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Ape+lust wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
Shatterface wrote:Please stop knocking Australia. It has given so much to the world: Germain Greer, Rolph Harris, that highwayman with a bucket on his head. The list is endless.

Uh, AC/DC.

Who have given us 1 album 10 times in the past 30 years, bless their consistent hearts.

Discount Black Sabbath doesn't count.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

TheMudbrooker wrote:Canada gave us little round pieces of ham pretending to be bacon.
[youtube]gTuQOmgl_Z4[/youtube]

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

free thoughtpolice wrote:The old saw that Australia got the better of the deal because they got the convicts and the Merkins got the puritans isn't totally true after all? The Merkins got both ends of the bad stick?
Check Ken Ham's birth certificate and get back to us on that.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

In defense of Canadians, we did give everyone Pamela Anderson.
Did I mention she served me breakfast more than once? :drool:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

comhcinc wrote:Not that I am saying that isn't enough because it is but let's not pretend it's like a real place. I mean only one ocean? LOL
Pacific or Indian?

We also spat out Stollznow and Rorschach.

Lochness_Hamster

Post by Lochness_Hamster »

Kiwis thanks for Ray Comfort

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Shatterface wrote:I've been using the term 'entryism' for years. I think I first heard it in the context of Militant tendency infiltrating the Labour Party in the Eighties.
I remember hearing that during the 1970s or 1980s, secular/humanist societies were being infiltrated by "Maxists". Is anyone here ancient enough to remember this because I'd love to know how widespread it was and how the whole thing played out.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Brive1987 wrote:
comhcinc wrote:Not that I am saying that isn't enough because it is but let's not pretend it's like a real place. I mean only one ocean? LOL
Pacific or Indian?

We also spat out Stollznow and Rorschach.

Indian? PPPPPPFFFFFFfffffftttttttttttt. I guess that's an ocean if you are lame. Whaeves.

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

Lsuoma wrote:
TheMudbrooker wrote:Canada gave us little round pieces of ham pretending to be bacon.
Aren't you one of us now?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Suet Cardigan wrote:The Guardian web site is closing comment sections on articles about race, immigration and Islam :

http://archive.is/GXRmF
We are living in an age of rage. People are angry with government, with media, with religion, with migration, with Europe, with big business. That frustration comes burning through in comments posted below stories on our website, a facility offered in the spirit of open journalism that has seen an extraordinary growth in numbers, sometimes running as high as 65,000 posts a day. That’s a huge number – and it’s producing its own frustrations, not least among those who feel they have an inalienable right to comment.
This outburst arrived in my inbox recently: “Re the excellent article by Jeremy Corbyn. You stop the comments at a mere eight. What on earth do you think you’re playing at?” The tone was typical of this new age. In reply, I explained what the paper was “playing at”: trying to curate a reasoned debate in comments, not shut down discussion. That sometimes meant closing them for a while and then reopening them when we had a sufficient number of moderators to handle the volume. I noted that the total at the time of my reply had grown to 2,058; our reader had spluttered too soon.
But more concerning is the ever-rising level of abuse, trolling and “astroturfing” (propaganda posting – an artificial version of a grassroots campaign) currently polluting what are often illuminating and stimulating discussions.
So lots of people are not buying the narrative? Must be astroturfing!

x_?_x

Post by x_?_x »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Suet Cardigan wrote:The Guardian web site is closing comment sections on articles about race, immigration and Islam :

http://archive.is/GXRmF
We are living in an age of rage. People are angry with government, with media, with religion, with migration, with Europe, with big business. That frustration comes burning through in comments posted below stories on our website, a facility offered in the spirit of open journalism that has seen an extraordinary growth in numbers, sometimes running as high as 65,000 posts a day. That’s a huge number – and it’s producing its own frustrations, not least among those who feel they have an inalienable right to comment.
This outburst arrived in my inbox recently: “Re the excellent article by Jeremy Corbyn. You stop the comments at a mere eight. What on earth do you think you’re playing at?” The tone was typical of this new age. In reply, I explained what the paper was “playing at”: trying to curate a reasoned debate in comments, not shut down discussion. That sometimes meant closing them for a while and then reopening them when we had a sufficient number of moderators to handle the volume. I noted that the total at the time of my reply had grown to 2,058; our reader had spluttered too soon.
But more concerning is the ever-rising level of abuse, trolling and “astroturfing” (propaganda posting – an artificial version of a grassroots campaign) currently polluting what are often illuminating and stimulating discussions.
So lots of people are not buying the narrative? Must be astroturfing!
I think there are too many media outlets. Any 'comprehensive' article, on any complex subject, would be the length of a dissertation. Anything any of us read on a news site is likely a summary, and probably a biased summary, at that.

The lid is getting blown off regarding immigrants in Europe, though. I'm starting to think we're about to witness a rather sudden shift in politics as liberal policies are resoundingly repudiated.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Bourne Skeptic wrote:
VR Guy wrote:
Cnutella wrote:A 13-year-old Russian-German girl has admitted making up a story about being kidnapped and raped by migrants in a case that triggered a furore in Germany and briefly embroiled Berlin police in a spat with the Kremlin, state prosecutors said.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/j ... in-germany

Lucky SJWs chose not to make a fuss about this one, for some reason.
If I recall from my SJW days, the right thing to do in these circumstances is to believe the original claim and assume she had been intimidated out of pursuing the case.

Or rather that is how we would have behaved if we were consistent. In practice to what degree she will be believed is determined by a number of other factors such as political convenience, perceived harm to the cult group, and most importantly potential to cause financial or emotional unease to one of our cult group leaders.
"from my SJW days"

What changed your mind about being an SJW??
He wanted to get laid without being accused of rape or having to lick her out six times before she would unlock his Vick cage.

x_?_x

Post by x_?_x »

x_?_x wrote:I think there are too many media outlets. Any 'comprehensive' article, on any complex subject, would be the length of a dissertation. Anything any of us read on a news site is likely a summary, and probably a biased summary, at that.

The lid is getting blown off regarding immigrants in Europe, though. I'm starting to think we're about to witness a rather sudden shift in politics as liberal policies are resoundingly repudiated.
I meant to expand on this and forgot to, lol.

There are too many outlets. There's too much information available. Most of the 'news' is just biased summaries.

With the available information, it's easy to poke holes in any 'news' story.

I also suspect advertisers are leery of putting up ads on a site that has "racism" and "bigotry" in the comments section. Culturally, anything deviating from PC talking points is 'bigotry' or 'racism,' of course, so that also complicates things.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

How did we take the ham disks, but left the french fries, cheese, and gravy? Poutine sounds like an American invention, it's so absurdly lo-rent and decadent.

Maybe it's the name. We did have a president who thought poutine was the prime minister.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

comhcinc wrote:Canada give us John Candy.

John Candy > Mad Max
Too true.

Starred in several of my favorite movies (I'm a simple, ignorant man).

[youtube]JIwhjp_c1d0[/youtube]

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Ape+lust wrote:
How did we take the ham disks, but left the french fries, cheese, and gravy? Poutine sounds like an American invention, it's so absurdly lo-rent and decadent.

Maybe it's the name. We did have a president who thought poutine was the prime minister.
You American pricks need to see what the British call bacon. Your cholesterol-soaked heart would shit and fit with pleasure if you tried this stuff.

http://i.imgur.com/NVZjOLh.jpg

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Bourne Skeptic wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
Nope, I'm a triple UK/Eire/USA citz.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

x_?_x wrote: I think there are too many media outlets. Any 'comprehensive' article, on any complex subject, would be the length of a dissertation. Anything any of us read on a news site is likely a summary, and probably a biased summary, at that.
Flat Earth News by Nick Davies is a great book.
What's Left by Nick Cohen is a great book.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Ape+lust wrote:

Whereas he's actually the Russian president.

Also, I have finally found a place in Redmond that does GREAT poutine.

:burn: :burn: :burn: :burn: :burn: :burn: :burn: :burn:

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

Lsuoma wrote:
Bourne Skeptic wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: [youtube]gTuQOmgl_Z4[/youtube]
I must of been thinking of someone else, I thought you recently moved up here.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
comhcinc wrote:Canada give us John Candy.

John Candy > Mad Max
Too true.

Starred in several of my favorite movies (I'm a simple, ignorant man).

[foutube]JIwhjp_c1d0[/foutube]
[youtube]w7z5wJZ7UgY[/youtube]

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Bourne Skeptic wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
Bourne Skeptic wrote: Aren't you one of us now?
I spent the night at a B&B whose back yard abuts the US-Canada border a few nights ago. Maybe that's what you were thinking of.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:You American pricks need to see what the British call bacon. Your cholesterol-soaked heart would shit and fit with pleasure if you tried this stuff.

http://i.imgur.com/NVZjOLh.jpg
O-h-h-h, fat-streaked chops. You hussy. Are you making eyes at me? I'll be right over.

Y'know, if you want to do us both a solid, keep inviting Peez over. The dumbshit calls himself a vegan, then pounds down big honking fry-ups. A couple of months of that and we won't have to worry about him anymore.

http://imgur.com/dhCnv9G.jpg

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Bourne Skeptic wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: Nope, I'm a triple UK/Eire/USA citz.
If you find someone to give me a quick in, I'll happily become a quad. That Trudeau guy, maybe?

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Lsuoma wrote:Whereas he's actually the Russian president.

Really? I'd think once it caught on anywhere it'd blaze through the lower 48 like torched cotton. But that's never happened.

'Murikins. We're too weird to figure out.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Ape+lust wrote:

Really? I'd think once it caught on anywhere it'd blaze through the lower 48 like torched cotton. But that's never happened.

Yep. See back bacon above.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Lsuoma wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:

Yep. See back bacon above.
But there is a place that imports it, right here in Redmond (called The British Pantry, started by the wife of an engineer who moved to a job at Paccar in the '70s)

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

x_?_x wrote:
comhcinc wrote:

It's substantially more than we ever got out of Azerbaijan or Canada, for the record...
And, apparently, poutine, athough this might qualify as overkill - so to speak (from WEIT):

https://whyevolutionistrue.files.wordpr ... =555&h=538

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

x_?_x wrote:The lid is getting blown off regarding immigrants in Europe, though. I'm starting to think we're about to witness a rather sudden shift in politics as liberal policies are resoundingly repudiated.
I agree, I think Cologne, rather than Paris, was the turning point. It's just impossible for a liberal-minded person (in the good old-fashioned sense of liberal) to not notice the weirdness. Properly liberal-minded people on the Right noticed a long time ago, but I think more and more properly liberal-minded people on the Left who are not positively under the sway of the oppressor/oppressed group Narrative are getting quietly sick of it now. I think even if they don't say anything overt out of fear, they're going to quietly withdraw their tacit support and positive virtue signalling.

It's impossible for any intelligent person to see and hear the reports of Cologne, to think of the real suffering of those poor women, of the sheer numbers involved, and not then notice the sheer insanity of the exculpatory/deflecting comments coming from officials after the event, and to compare and contrast whingeing about "safe spaces" the like.

Some of those post-Cologne comments really were unbelievable. I mean, even if you despise Right-wing racists, for that idiot whoever he was to say that comments on rabid Right-wing discussions were "at least as bad" as the events in Cologne is just inexcusable by any rational standard.

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

PZ's mad "I can’t take no more" Blocks and unfollows Richard Dawkins.

Richard must be devastated.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ryngula%29

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Bourne Skeptic wrote:PZ's mad "I can’t take no more" Blocks and unfollows Richard Dawkins.

Lousy Canuck!

https://archive.is/5Dw6p

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Peezus was just hate-following anyway.

If you don't like what someone says on Twitter just don't follow them; and don't expect to get a round of applause for not following them either.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Bourne Skeptic wrote:PZ's mad "I can’t take no more" Blocks and unfollows Richard Dawkins.

Unfollowed and blocked? Why blocked? Is he going to claim that Dawkins is harassing him? Being blocked does that mean PZ will never make another comment about something Dawkins tweets?

Also I guess he realized his begging to be a speaker at the Reason Rally won't work and now he can state he is boycotting it.

x_?_x

Post by x_?_x »

Lsuoma wrote:
x_?_x wrote: I think there are too many media outlets. Any 'comprehensive' article, on any complex subject, would be the length of a dissertation. Anything any of us read on a news site is likely a summary, and probably a biased summary, at that.
Flat Earth News by Nick Davies is a great book.
What's Left by Nick Cohen is a great book.
I'll look into both, thanks.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Peez scorns people who announce their blocks. But, I guess this is different. He's finally put on his big boy pants and owned the contempt he was too scared to express directly for nearly 5 years.

Okay Peez, now you'll find out what it's like to be truly ignored. You never knew it, but you are the world's tiniest weeble next to Dawkins' sphere of influence. Now you can join Ophelia barking out the window.

Welcome to the next level of angry impotence.

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

Lsuoma wrote:

Lousy Canuck!

That's harsh, I'd rather be called a sheep fucker!

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

comhcinc wrote:

Unfollowed and blocked? Why blocked? Is he going to claim that Dawkins is harassing him? Being blocked does that mean PZ will never make another comment about something Dawkins tweets?

Also I guess he realized his begging to be a speaker at the Reason Rally won't work and now he can state he is boycotting it.
That's PZ's idea of double secret probation.

[youtube]Y0cF2piwjYQ[/youtube]

NoGodsEver

Post by NoGodsEver »

Lsuoma wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:

Do tell, for those of us in the area.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Ape+lust wrote:

Peez scorns people who announce their blocks. But, I guess this is different. He's finally put on his big boy pants and owned the contempt he was too scared to express directly for nearly 5 years.

Okay Peez, now you'll find out what it's like to be truly ignored. You never knew it, but you are the world's tiniest weeble next to Dawkins' sphere of influence. Now you can join Ophelia barking out the window.

Welcome to the next level of angry impotence.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I get massive satisfaction from reading the comments on Meyers's blog these days.

Gone are the scientists, and those with any wit or intelligence. He's left with the scrapings from a barrel of turds, all too fucking stupid to do anything other than repeat "Really, Prof Meyers? That is shocking. I am shocked, and I can barely even. Spoons, please?".

Nerd of Redhead apparently believes that zero men experience rape of sexual harassment in the US. Bolding is in the original comment (this is an unaltered screenshot):

http://i.imgur.com/rkCnREN.png

NoGodsEver

Post by NoGodsEver »

NoGodsEver wrote:
Bleh, never mind. Shoulda read ahead...

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Sez Peez:
It’s a lie. It’s a patently dishonest misrepresentation of feminist views
Yes, patently dishonest misrepresentations suck, don't they.

Regards, your friendly pitter MRA and rape apologist.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

NoGodsEver wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:

Tipsy Cow on Cleveland St: http://www.tipsycowburgerbar.com/

They've not updated the menu to include poutine, but I had it on Friday and it was great! Beecher's curds, real potato fries, and veal gravy.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Tigzy wrote:

Sez Peez:

Which he has held since childhood, but only decided to reveal in the last few years.

Apparently all of that posting tentacle rape porn images, sexually harassing volunteers while in a position of power as a conference speaker, urging his readers to watch a song about raping Ken Ham, calling his spouse "the trophy wife",endorsing a book of short stories including some about non-consensual sex, personally for a misogynist (TF00t) to be a blogger on FfTB and then later kicking a female POC off the same network...yeah. All of that was some part of his master feminist-since-childhood plan to fight for equal rights for women. Or, a gallon of opportunistic hogwash if you prefer, which seems to have rather badly splashed back all over him as he tried to throw it (thank you, Great God La-Den).

ConcentratedH2O, OM

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
Sez Peez:

Which he has held since childhood, but only decided to reveal in the last few years.

Apparently all of that posting tentacle rape porn images, sexually harassing volunteers while in a position of power as a conference speaker, urging his readers to watch a song about raping Ken Ham, calling his spouse "the trophy wife",endorsing a book of short stories including some about non-consensual sex, campaigning personally for a misogynist (TF00t) to be a blogger on FfTB and then later kicking a female POC off the same network...yeah. All of that was some part of his master feminist-since-childhood plan to fight for equal rights for women. Or, a gallon of opportunistic hogwash if you prefer, which seems to have rather badly splashed back all over him as he tried to throw it (thank you, Great God La-Den).
Fixed to add a word so it makes sense.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Brive, or someone else with an account at Novella's blog:

The commenter Steve Cross is skeptical that feminists sided with the Goldsmith ISOC in the wake of Namazie's talk, because apparently the Goldsmith FemSoc only voiced their support for ISOC before the event. It might be worth showing him (and lurkers) these comments from the Goldsmith LGBTQ+ Society, posted after the talk:

Or not. Whatever.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:Brive, or someone else with an account at Novella's blog:

The commenter Steve Cross is skeptical that feminists sided with the Goldsmith ISOC in the wake of Namazie's talk, because apparently the Goldsmith FemSoc only voiced their support for ISOC before the event. It might be worth showing him (and lurkers) these comments from the Goldsmith LGBTQ+ Society, posted after the talk:

Or not. Whatever.
Hey, shitlord. Why do you think a bunch of self proclaimed skeptics want to know what really happened? This is organized skepticism we are talking about. It is all about defending Muslims and feminists.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Apparently all of that posting tentacle rape porn images, sexually harassing volunteers while in a position of power as a conference speaker, urging his readers to watch a song about raping Ken Ham, calling his spouse "the trophy wife",endorsing a book of short stories including some about non-consensual sex, personally for a misogynist (TF00t) to be a blogger on FfTB and then later kicking a female POC off the same network...yeah. All of that was some part of his master feminist-since-childhood plan to fight for equal rights for women. Or, a gallon of opportunistic hogwash if you prefer, which seems to have rather badly splashed back all over him as he tried to throw it (thank you, Great God La-Den).
Come now. If Tim Hunt gets to be sarcastic about calling himself a "chauvinist monster" then surely we can cut PZ slack on the trophy wife joke. The rest is fair game, but self-deprecating humor should get a free pass.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:Brive, or someone else with an account at Novella's blog:

Or not. Whatever.
Good pick-up. Done.

Novella also let a comment of mine out of moderation - containing a timeline and linkset to the origins of EG.

Meh.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Brive1987 wrote:

Or not. Whatever.
Good pick-up. Done.

Novella also let a comment of mine out of moderation - containing a timeline and linkset to the origins of EG.

Meh.
Now that 90% of those who will read the comments have already done so. That is good skepticism.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

d4m10n wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Apparently all of that posting tentacle rape porn images, sexually harassing volunteers while in a position of power as a conference speaker, urging his readers to watch a song about raping Ken Ham, calling his spouse "the trophy wife",endorsing a book of short stories including some about non-consensual sex, personally for a misogynist (TF00t) to be a blogger on FfTB and then later kicking a female POC off the same network...yeah. All of that was some part of his master feminist-since-childhood plan to fight for equal rights for women. Or, a gallon of opportunistic hogwash if you prefer, which seems to have rather badly splashed back all over him as he tried to throw it (thank you, Great God La-Den).
Come now. If Tim Hunt gets to be sarcastic about calling himself a "chauvinist monster" then surely we can cut PZ slack on the trophy wife joke. The rest is fair game, but self-deprecating humor should get a free pass.
So why has he conspicuously stopped doing so? I think there might even have been a thread where his regulars, which were more plentiful back in those halcyon days of a year or more ago, urged him to drop it. Spoons, ReGreta, etc, but I really think there was a conscious decision to drop it based on its not fitting with New PZ.

Even if I am hallucimembering, your point is shite, because the fact is that Meyers called her the trophy wife right up until it started to work against him, despite being a feminist since he was a zygote.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I think Dawkins should put a lid on it now.

This islma issue was always anchored on two objectives:

1. Rebecca Watson getting her revenge for DM and the Reason Rally alleged cockblock
2. Poisoning the well for the CFI merge and BoD appointment.

Objective 1 has been met.
Objective 2 needs to be parried using some intelligence based cunning.

x_?_x

Post by x_?_x »

gurugeorge wrote:
x_?_x wrote:The lid is getting blown off regarding immigrants in Europe, though. I'm starting to think we're about to witness a rather sudden shift in politics as liberal policies are resoundingly repudiated.
I agree, I think Cologne, rather than Paris, was the turning point. It's just impossible for a liberal-minded person (in the good old-fashioned sense of liberal) to not notice the weirdness. Properly liberal-minded people on the Right noticed a long time ago, but I think more and more properly liberal-minded people on the Left who are not positively under the sway of the oppressor/oppressed group Narrative are getting quietly sick of it now. I think even if they don't say anything overt out of fear, they're going to quietly withdraw their tacit support and positive virtue signalling.

It's impossible for any intelligent person to see and hear the reports of Cologne, to think of the real suffering of those poor women, of the sheer numbers involved, and not then notice the sheer insanity of the exculpatory/deflecting comments coming from officials after the event, and to compare and contrast whingeing about "safe spaces" the like.

Some of those post-Cologne comments really were unbelievable. I mean, even if you despise Right-wing racists, for that idiot whoever he was to say that comments on rabid Right-wing discussions were "at least as bad" as the events in Cologne is just inexcusable by any rational standard.
I cannot fathom how it's come to this point. How has "right-wing" become a substitute for racism, bigotry, etc? You can tell how far our culture has shifted the left when anything associated with the right is considered bad.

As far as Cologne, I think a dam has broken. All of the smears in the world are unlikely to deter people from pushing back against the current cultural climate in Europe. We're already seeing a rapid shift away from the leftist politics that have dominated most of Europe. I just hope the pendulum doesn't swing too far and things get ugly before they calm down.

Really?

Post by Really? »

x_?_x wrote:
gurugeorge wrote:

I cannot fathom how it's come to this point. How has "right-wing" become a substitute for racism, bigotry, etc? You can tell how far our culture has shifted the left when anything associated with the right is considered bad.

As far as Cologne, I think a dam has broken. All of the smears in the world are unlikely to deter people from pushing back against the current cultural climate in Europe. We're already seeing a rapid shift away from the leftist politics that have dominated most of Europe. I just hope the pendulum doesn't swing too far and things get ugly before they calm down.
Either way, you can't blame people like us. We are against right-wing totalitarianism AND left-wing totalitarianism. And rape. But we are the bad guys somehow.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Are these Return of Kings numpties for real? They sound like a right bunch of wankers.

Guest_474c585c

Post by Guest_474c585c »

"Email in use" is a problem for guests. Again.

Here's a contribution:

Guestus Aurelius wrote:
Cunning Punt wrote:Julia Galef weighs in.

facebook. com/julia.galef/posts/10102245846532342

Oh, she doth teach the torches to burn bright. Smart lady.
Holy shit, D.J. Grothe is amazing in the comments against Dan Fincke.
From that same thread:

Melody Hensley
The woman in the video is a real woman who is getting harassed. A woman that is often used in memes with memes of me to trash feminism. We have gotten our lives threatened, threats of rape and told we should kill ourselves EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. for many years. Dawkins has made this movement divisive and made these gender terrorists feel that it is okay to dehumanize us and attempt to ruin our lives. I'd like you to go through the same thing with Dawkins stirring up your harassers and stalkers and then decide if a video with you in it calls for outcry.

John Kwok
I hope you were as outraged Melody, when, nearly six years ago, journalists Chris Mooney and Sheril Kirshenbaum were threatened by a delusional fan posting at PZ Myers's Pharyngula blog who said that they should be raped and killed with a rusty knife. Myers treated it as a joke, even referring to it in one of his subsequent blogs, and had the gall to confront Sheril at her blog, taunt and humilate her, when she complained bitterly about that threat and pointed out that it did not foster greater public understanding of science.
I am certain some at NECSS were aware of this, and yet, Myers was invited to speak. IMHO there is a double standard, and that standard is, if you're popular with a certain segment of the New Atheist community and still commit outrageous acts, then it's okay for you to speak at NECSS. Myers has never apologized for his abysmal behavior, while Dawkins acted swiftly to make amends when he heard that the cartoon depicted the woman in question.

Melody Hensley
John, I don't know the details about this incident from six years ago. Don't try to pull me into one of your vendettas.

John Kwok
Melody Hensley, I suggest you read Sheril's blog: (puts in links to blogs that can't post here, but the titles are
"Strengthening Public Interest In Science?" By Sheril Kirshenbaum and
Skepsheik: The PZ Myers guide to violent sexual threats.

Melody Hensley
John, this is completely off topic. I am really upset here. I'm not going to read old blogs. I'm more likely to block you. Do you know what I have been through? I have PTSD because of these people. So back off.

x_?_x

Post by x_?_x »

Really? wrote:
x_?_x wrote:I cannot fathom how it's come to this point. How has "right-wing" become a substitute for racism, bigotry, etc? You can tell how far our culture has shifted the left when anything associated with the right is considered bad.

Either way, you can't blame people like us. We are against right-wing totalitarianism AND left-wing totalitarianism. And rape. But we are the bad guys somehow.
I quite literally blame you. You, and you alone; you specifically.

So... stop it.

Guest_474c585c

Post by Guest_474c585c »

Is there a list of people who Rebecca Watson has harassed / encouraged harassment of over the years?

To start there's Sara Mayhew, Karen Stollznow, Harriet Hall, Elyse ("at least my friends don't facilitate me ha ha" says Watson on Twitter) Anders, EllenBeth Wachs..... who else has been threatened or encouraged to be blacklisted publicly?

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

I've been watching season 1 & 2 of Community.

Jeff teases a fat guy for being fat. The fat guy asks why Jeff didn't tease a black guy for being black, instead.

Jeff shoots-back, "because I don't see the world that way," but Jeff quickly backtracks, adding "I'm sorry... I shouldn't high road you."

It occurred to me that phrase could be useful against SJWs: they frequently strike a low blow/ then claim the holier-than-thou high road, when met with any fraction of their own venom:

"You're punching down!"

"Don't highroad me. You're the one frothing like Chanty Binx."

In another Community episode, Abed-- the pop culture nerd-- lists familiar tropes of a certain genre. He does this often with sitcoms, zombie movies, etc. This time he says "I'm not knocking it. It works." It occured to me that "knocking it" is also a useful phrase against SJWs.

When they call something "problematic", they are "knocking it". But the former phrase attributes fault to the thing being examined. While "knocking" something attributes fault to the person doing the 'knocking', not the thing being''knocked':

"Road maps are problematic because they suggest white countries are at the Top."

"Don't knock it. Road maps help antibiotics reach remote third world children. Road maps brought the Freedom Riders to civil rights marches. You knock everything. Maybe you are what's really wrong."

I'm bummed that SJW nonsense intrudes when I'm trying to watch comedies, Star Wars, have nice normal sex. It really wouldn't bother me, if the intrusion contributed positively to my level of understanding things. But it's all claptrap. Brainfarts. Wrong turns & dead ends.

Guest_84d94f98

Post by Guest_84d94f98 »

Guest_474c585c wrote:Is there a list of people who Rebecca Watson has harassed / encouraged harassment of over the years?

To start there's Sara Mayhew, Karen Stollznow, Harriet Hall, Elyse ("at least my friends don't facilitate me ha ha" says Watson on Twitter) Anders, EllenBeth Wachs..... who else has been threatened or encouraged to be blacklisted publicly?
The former police officer and his girlfriend.