The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
Spike13

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by Spike13 »

Guest_0048cc29 wrote:
Spike13 wrote:Steers,

Any movement( political, religious,he'll even hobbies) has adherents who can be overbearing and dare I say boring about it.

The case can be made that overzealous fans of sports have all the signs of religious zealots.

Nobody makes that argument because in that context it's stupid, most people can relate to the fan and understand the passion they show.
Well, if sports fans spent a significant chunk of time proving their opponent's fan's teams didn't exist, or that the opponent's fans should be killed or converted to fans of their teams....

Mostly sports fans are happy to focus on their team, and don't spend much time warring with the fans of other teams.

Maybe that's similar to small a atheists, but yeah, it's almost a religion with big A atheists.
You may not be familiar with the Giants, Cowboys, Eagles NFC east triad of hate.

Yankees Red Sox is a good one too.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Guest_0048cc29 wrote:

Any movement( political, religious,he'll even hobbies) has adherents who can be overbearing and dare I say boring about it.

The case can be made that overzealous fans of sports have all the signs of religious zealots.

Nobody makes that argument because in that context it's stupid, most people can relate to the fan and understand the passion they show.
Well, if sports fans spent a significant chunk of time proving their opponent's fan's teams didn't exist, or that the opponent's fans should be killed or converted to fans of their teams....

Mostly sports fans are happy to focus on their team, and don't spend much time warring with the fans of other teams.

Maybe that's similar to small a atheists, but yeah, it's almost a religion with big A atheists.

You do not keep up with college football in the south I see. :D

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Steersman wrote:

Maybe, although I don't quite see that they're the same kettles of fish. While I'll agree with you that there are "overzealous fans of sports", I kind of see some atheists as being excessively dogmatic in the certainty they exhibit in arguing that there are no gods - apparently the position of "strong atheists". Which might then justify the argument from theists or agnostics that some atheists are as bad as some theists.

You might take a close read of Coyne's post and the Spiked article he quotes from.
I will , thanks.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Shatterface wrote:
Spike13 wrote:
Shatterface wrote:The problem with Babylonians is that, while they contributed so much historically, they tend to get a bit rapey come New Year's Eve. And what the Hittites got up to in Rotherham was disgusting.

That was weird... Babylonian, and Hittites in back to back comments.
I took the examples from your post.

I saw that after I commented. Scrolling up and down to read the thread I got all discombobulated and got my comments all confused.

Oops...

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Maryam is using the term 'PC' in exactly the way that would get others banned at FTB:
She's not even bothering with neologisms like 'regressive left', she's going straight for PC itself.

She can't last long now, surely?

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
DaveDodo007 wrote:You know what seriously annoys me. It's sycophants, arselickers, suck ups and yesmen. How do these oily self loathing gimps not die with embarrassment. They make my flesh creep and send a shiver down my spine.
I entirely agree, but could never have said it as elegantly as you have. The way that you wrote it was pure brilliance, starting with the teasing full-stop before you'd even graced us with a complete sentence. Genius. Leaving us wanting more, but not just a second dot above the first ... more of your wit and wisdom. And then the question expressed with another full-stop, making it clear that you were making a statement, while reminding us that we're not worthy to make a response. And then the poignant images ... half cliché but so much more. A tour-de-force. All rational debate is henceforth unneeded.
O _o

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Shatterface wrote:Maryam is using the term 'PC' in exactly the way that would get others banned at FTB:
She's not even bothering with neologisms like 'regressive left', she's going straight for PC itself.

PZ knows he can't get away with bullying yet another female POC off of his network, nor to have his few mangy, retarded resident concern trolls do it. He'll ignore this shit for as long as possible.

RonSwanson

Post by RonSwanson »

Sunder wrote:
Shatterface wrote:Maryam is using the term 'PC' in exactly the way that would get others banned at FTB:

PZ knows he can't get away with bullying yet another female POC off of his network, nor to have his few mangy, retarded resident concern trolls do it. He'll ignore this shit for as long as possible.
She's the only name worth a damn at FTB. Her blogging isn't much to talk about but that's because she's doing actual activism. Sam Harris is apparently going to interview her for his podcast. That will be interesting.

Really?

Post by Really? »

RonSwanson wrote:
Sunder wrote:

She's the only name worth a damn at FTB. Her blogging isn't much to talk about but that's because she's doing actual activism. Sam Harris is apparently going to interview her for his podcast. That will be interesting.
Is she also the only person at FTB who can actually claim a victimhood of a sort?

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

So I watched that Gad Saad lecture and was intrigued by one incident he brought up which he had covered in an earlier vid I hadn't seen yet:

[youtube]6gTaSKaWMaw[/youtube]

It's truly a fantastic tale of how unfalsifiability.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Meanwhile,

They have collectively lost their minds in Toronto my former home town :
Actual headline from the Toronto Sun Roosh V. plans 'rape should be legal' meetup in Toronto

They have gone completely nuts. I was just made aware of this because it was on CBC News! Soundbites from the Mayor! A city councilman!

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

I left an extra word in that last sentence by accident.

RonSwanson

Post by RonSwanson »

Of the ones I know of yeah. Although I doubt Namazie would consider herself a victim. Which is one of the things that separates her from SJWs and slacktivists. I think she's misguided on a couple of things (communism for one) but I admired the way she handled those Goldsmith Islamic thugs. She did not wilt under the pressure and the physical intimidation.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

It's more likely (at least I hope) that Namazie will put her foot down and openly disassociate from FTB due to their brazen pro-no-platforming stance and how little support she's received from them following her own attempted no-platforming.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Annnnnnnnd ... http://www.returnofkings.com is currently offline.

For those not in the know Roosh the PUA is I believe behind the site.

Anyway, I am still reading up on the hysteria about him and LMAO. People have lost their shit, their mind, any common sense they might have had ... if is hilarious.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

I wish Mick's had an ignore function cause someone over there is dumping a LOT of text.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

I've responded to Myers' post that you linked with the following:-

It’s not in appropriate at all. If “feminism” were a logically consistent movement based on the principles of reason, individualism and equality, then most of “feminists”‘ efforts, their fire, their vitriol, their energy, most of their bandwidth, would logically and morally have to be directed at stopping the murder-of-innocent-Muslim-women type things, and by comparison, the dude-in-the-shirt type things would merit nothing more than a chuckle or a snort of mild derision, hardly worth even a comment.

But because “feminism” is based on a Marxoid analysis of society in terms of peoples’ membership of oppressor/oppressed groups, defined by their closeness to or distance from “power” (arbitrarily defined – usually gender, race, etc.), then it’s necessary for them to direct most of their energy, their fire, their vitriol, their bandwidth, at dude-in-the-shirt type things, because:-

a) they need to stay consistent with their own gender-based analysis based on Marxoid principles, because sticking with that analysis is what earns them kudos and money, whereas peeling away from it earns them the baleful gaze of the heresy-hunter, and nobody likes being called names;

b) they need to stay aligned with the “oppressed” group of Muslims against the “oppressor” group of the West; and

c) dudes-in-shirts are easier targets than dudes-with-Kalashnikovs – there’s little likelihood of any actual, life-threatening blowback from criticizing dudes-in-shirts.

What’s not to like? It’s a win-win all round – except of course for the dudes in shirts and the innocent Muslim women who continue to get raped and murdered.

Third wave feminism is Karl Marx in a dress and flaming red hair and big black knobby boots.

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

Was this mentioned here:

http://www.businessinsider.com/richard- ... rds-2016-2

I may have missed it, since I've had to skim to catch up...miss one day around here and you have some digging to do.

Has PZ called Richard a Nazi yet?

dogen

Post by dogen »

Spike13 wrote: I remember those commercials, they were creepy as hell!

There was another movie around the same time that had a creepy butler type and a flying metal ball that drilled into people's heads. I forget the name of it.
I may be wrong, but I think they were double featured together.
Phantasm. Gave rise to a string of sequels. All awesome.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Note to self.

Don't go down the rabbit hole of relative ballistic penetration capacity unless it involves a penis.

I'd kinda hoped that by now we would have progressed the debate to average contact/engagement ranges by theatre.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

mordacious1 wrote:Was this mentioned here:

I may have missed it, since I've had to skim to catch up...miss one day around here and you have some digging to do.

First I have seen it. PZ supposedly has Dawkins blocked on twitter. You would assume he would just ignore anything about Dawkins.

I mean we all know that won't happen......

dogen

Post by dogen »

Za-zen wrote:Addendum:

The "french are crap" myth also comes out of ww2. People who spout this have no knowledge of military history whatsoever. I find it particularly funny when it comes from an englishman, my repost usually being, yeah but they didn't have boats to run away from the fight (the glorious Dunkirk, where the british army was smashed and ran into the sea for their lives).
Last fall I read the book 'Dunkirk', by Hugh something or other. It was basically 'the French were thought to be awesome before the war, but then they turned out to be undisciplined cowards who folded at the first sign of resistance'.

Is this fair? What do reviews of this book say?

pro-boxing-fan
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by pro-boxing-fan »

mordacious1 wrote:Was this mentioned here:

At this point Dawkins is clearly aware of what constitute a SJW and he seem willing to fight them with ridicule just as he do for religion.

Give him a couple months and he might join the pit. :pray:

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Tigzy wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Suet Cardigan wrote:Please thank Islam for the internet:
= no copy/paste = no CJ Werleman books.

Somebody tweet that, dammit.
Pleasure!
:character-beavisbutthead:

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

dogen wrote:

The "french are crap" myth also comes out of ww2. People who spout this have no knowledge of military history whatsoever. I find it particularly funny when it comes from an englishman, my repost usually being, yeah but they didn't have boats to run away from the fight (the glorious Dunkirk, where the british army was smashed and ran into the sea for their lives).
Last fall I read the book 'Dunkirk', by Hugh something or other. It was basically 'the French were thought to be awesome before the war, but then they turned out to be undisciplined cowards who folded at the first sign of resistance'.

Consider the losses France took in WWI and then consider that in WWII, there were 210,000 French military deaths and 390,000 civilian deaths. Their prewar population was only 42 million...so that's 1.44% of their population died during the war. The US had .32% of its population killed and we weren't as devastated by WWI. I'd say France sacrificed a lot during the Second World War, hardly cowards. They just got out strategized by the Krauts...I mean Germans.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote: Thankfully Rommel wasn't in class the day they taught that. He was probaly in the betting shop.
Rommel won many battles but in the end the Allies won the war.
Hitler lost the war. Up until late '42, the generals could've won it; after that, they could've fought to a draw.
Their was actually one chess piece move which is widely accepted was his fatal move, when he halted the push to Moscow, and redirected its units to the stalled attack in the south to secure the oil fields. If he'd have pushed through, in the game of ifs, it's widely believed Moscow would have fallen with minimal resistance.

This is the problem when you promote from the ranks. The french tried it with a corporal, and then the Germans with another corporal, what is it with corporals thinking themselves to be field marshals? The soviet ice curtain did for them both.

Hitler was a strategic and tactical dunce, the man could bullshit with the best of them, but it was the german militaries own effectiveness which sealed their fate. The Wehrmacht brass (and prussian snobery) viewed Herr Fuhrer as a dangerous, jumped up little prick, He wasn't the Kaiser, and they had no sense of personal or professional loyalty to him. But his invasion demands (against their counsel) of poland/france turned out to be such a spectacular success, that most opposition to him within the officer cadre was decisively neutered. How the fuck could you challenge the guy whose plans steamrolled over three european powers (poland/france/britan) in a matter of weeks!

So when he turned the canons toward Russia, all the general staff could do was say "Ja mein fuhrer!".

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Really? wrote:
Is she also the only person at FTB who can actually claim a victimhood of a sort?
Of course not. They have Doctor Richard Carrier, PhD, who claims victim status on the basis of being treated like he was nothing more than a teenager's sock during his house parties.

And then there's Great Christina, who nobly struggles through the daily drudgery of life with neither a cleaner nor an accountant. Sometimes she has to do both her laundry and her personal banking in the same day, all while trying to think up novel ways for unicorns to be raped by rainbows. Shit is real, yo.

Let's not forget Physioproffe, whose career as a successful scientist leaves him very little time to repeatedly type the word "fucke" while crying into a pan of risotto. Don't you dare suggest he could save at least five minutes a day by leaving off the 'e'. That would be typical fucken oppression of a middle class white man who just wants to let the world to know he's a ludicrous cunte by the usual route of adding an extra letter to naughty words. He is subverting the subversed, you moron.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

mordacious1 wrote:
Consider the losses France took in WWI and then consider that in WWII, there were 210,000 French military deaths and 390,000 civilian deaths. Their prewar population was only 42 million...so that's 1.44% of their population died during the war. The US had .32% of its population killed and we weren't as devastated by WWI. I'd say France sacrificed a lot during the Second World War, hardly cowards. They just got out strategized by the Krauts...I mean Germans.
What bollocks. I'm not declaring anything regarding the French's attitude, just saying that the highlighted sentences prove nothing. Deaths as a percentage of initial population is no kind of measure of a country's bravery or cowardice.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

dogen wrote:

The French weren't cowards. In May 1940, they'd advanced their entire army forward to meet the German feint in the Low Countries, then were cut off by the Panzer swing around their right. It was imperative that they fall back as fast as possible. The BEF was 'retrograding' just as fast.

Billy The Hillbilly

Post by Billy The Hillbilly »

windy wrote:
That's Steersmann's gf btw. :romance-romance: :romance-romance: :romance-romance: :romance-romance: :romance-romance: :romance-romance: :romance-romance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

mordacious1 wrote:
dogen wrote:

The Soviets performed as bad as or even worse than the French in the early part of their war. They simply had more space to retreat into to buy time to recover. The French army didn't have that luxury.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

AndrewV69 wrote:Annnnnnnnd ... http://www.returnofkings.com is currently offline.

Anyway, I am still reading up on the hysteria about him and LMAO. People have lost their shit, their mind, any common sense they might have had ... if is hilarious.

There is going to be a lulz out of this. On one side you have idiotic PUAs and the other fear mongering feminist.

I hope all the lulcows come out in force. It's going to be a hoot. :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

Tactical Failure does not equal cowardice.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
dogen wrote:

The French weren't cowards. In May 1940, they'd advanced their entire army forward to meet the German feint in the Low Countries, then were cut off by the Panzer swing around their right. It was imperative that they fall back as fast as possible. The BEF was 'retrograding' just as fast.

Yup. The germans had created an new type of war and the French were just unprepared for it. If England would was connected to the mainland they would have been over run too.

Billy The Hillbilly

Post by Billy The Hillbilly »

CJ Werleman is looking the worse for wear these days... :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

http://www.voice-online.co.uk/sites/def ... 1336123548

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

comhcinc wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:Annnnnnnnd ... http://www.returnofkings.com is currently offline.

There is going to be a lulz out of this. On one side you have idiotic PUAs and the other fear mongering feminist.

I hope all the lulcows come out in force. It's going to be a hoot. :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Surely this Roosh guy is taking the piss.

But he certainly has the henhouse in a tizzy.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Billy The Hillbilly wrote:CJ Werleman is looking the worse for wear these days... :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

What the fuck happened to that woman's face????

That is not natural.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Za-zen wrote:So when he turned the canons toward Russia, all the general staff could do was say "Ja mein fuhrer!".
That's a nice story.

In truth, in 1938, knowing Germany was weak, the high command were prepared to depose Hitler, had the Munich talks failed & he ordered the invasion of Czechoslovakia. In 1939, they knew they'd dodged a bullet. They also recognized that the successes of 1940 were limited in scope and could not be sized-up to a protracted, continental conflict.

In 1941, they were mortified when they learned of Hitler's decision to attack the USSR. They devised a strategic plan focusing on a concerted push to take Moscow ASAP, with the goal of deposing Stalin & making a quick peace with whoever had bumped off Stalin. Hitler overruled that in favor of a dispersed offensive aimed at too many objectives.

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

Spike13 wrote:
Billy The Hillbilly wrote:CJ Werleman is looking the worse for wear these days... :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

That is not natural.
She's a tanning booth addict (no, this is not a joke).

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
What bollocks. I'm not declaring anything regarding the French's attitude, just saying that the highlighted sentences prove nothing. Deaths as a percentage of initial population is no kind of measure of a country's bravery or cowardice.
All I'm saying is that the French were attacked, they defended, they counter attacked, they died in the tens of thousands. They were not cowards. Their extraordinarily high casualties combined with the strategic situation caused their capitulation. Had they surrendered at the first signs of the Germans, as many joked afterward, their casualties would not have been so high.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

mordacious1 wrote:
dogen wrote:

The French army performed as well as any other modern army in WW1.

There were a number of factors which contributed to the fall of france in WW2, the french economy of the inter war period had a lot to do with it, plus the much maligned maginot line. The line didn't extend up the Belgian border (for political reasons) the Belgians were supposed to fortify their own border and thus complete the line, they never did. But essentially the Germans were strategically superior. It doesn't matter how well trained or effective your forces are, when they are decisively outflanked. In short France got knocked out as it was getting off it's stool for the first round. Britan also got knocked out by the same punch, it just managed to crawl under the ropes and away to its dressing room before the ref counted it out.

One other point to note. The Germans, WERE that fucking good. Both their officer corps, and their general soldiery.

The rear gaurd action fought by French units, in a desperate attempt to hold, was fierce. My own unit was represented by the 11th REI, which fought a two weak long reargaurd action, protecting the withdrawl, of it's 3000 men, only 450 survived until the armistice, the Colonel burned the regimental standard and buried it's tassel so it wouldn't fall into enemy hands. And the 97th Foreign Legion Divisional Reconnaissance Group, which fought through to June 9th, again fighting a reargaurd action. On that day the unit launched one last attack. There are no known survivors.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

mordacious1 wrote:
All I'm saying is that the French were attacked, they defended, they counter attacked, they died in the tens of thousands. They were not cowards. Their extraordinarily high casualties combined with the strategic situation caused their capitulation. Had they surrendered at the first signs of the Germans, as many joked afterward, their casualties would not have been so high.

You are both right now kiss and make up.

And film it.

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lme0c ... 10_500.gif

Really?

Post by Really? »

Ericb wrote:
Spike13 wrote:

That is not natural.
She's a tanning booth addict (no, this is not a joke).
That's just Tan Mom. The Patriarchy tried to give her shit because she put her eight-ish year old daughter in a tanning machine so her fair Irish skin would acquire that rich slightly burned biscuit glow:

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_ ... -6-web.jpg

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

That skin looks like over cooked rotisserie chicken... Probably the feeling as well. Call carrier, she needs a basting!

ConcentratedH2O, OM

comhcinc wrote:
mordacious1 wrote:

And film it.

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

Spike13 wrote:That skin looks like over cooked rotisserie chicken... Probably the feeling as well. Call carrier, she needs a basting!
Just a little over-cooked!
Attachments
sundamagedskin.jpg
(20.64 KiB) Downloaded 361 times

Really?

Post by Really? »

Bourne Skeptic wrote:
Spike13 wrote:That skin looks like over cooked rotisserie chicken... Probably the feeling as well. Call carrier, she needs a basting!
http://virtualweberbullet.com/turkey6_p ... rkey10.jpg

Delicious...

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

comhcinc wrote:

And film it.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Really? wrote:
Bourne Skeptic wrote:

Delicious...

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

Really? wrote:
Bourne Skeptic wrote:

Delicious...
Just like Hannibal, I like the skin crispy.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

comhcinc wrote:
comhcinc wrote:

And film it.

http://i.imgur.com/wfq8LpW.jpg

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Now where were we?

The Yeti

Post by The Yeti »

The pseudointellectual artillery misses with yet another salvo in his battle with Luke Barnes:
http://archive.is/v1LV2

Carrier just keeps beclowning himself. My favorite moment is where he admits that fucked up on basic probability terminology ( he claims he just accidently used the wrong words) but that is somehow Barnes' fault because he should have known what he meant.

The Yeti

Post by The Yeti »

Carrier also has a comment from his fan "Ernie.Bilko" calling him out about his lack of knowledge of main battle tanks:
http://www.chicagonow.com/hammervision/ ... Medium.jpg
Ernie Bilko wrote:During that podcast. You seemed to be pontificating about things that you know little about. The M1 Abrams is not a billion dollar tank. Depending upon what year they were produced, they cost about $5 million a piece to produce. So you see way, way, off there.

Also I strongly disagree with your claim that the military intentionally designed the Abrams without regard for protecting the crew. The actual battle record of the Abrams refutes your claim. The army needs to protect the crew-losing even one crew member makes the tank combat ineffective. It’s not like tank units drive around on the battlefield with replacement tank crew members.

Also, your Coast Guard story was quite the letdown. From your post I was expecting a story that was exciting or funny. Instead you tell us that you replaced a broken button on a sonar system. Lame. I guess coastie are easily amused.
http://archive.is/DiDxN

Really?

Post by Really? »

The Yeti wrote:The pseudointellectual artillery misses with yet another salvo in his battle with Luke Barnes:
http://archive.is/v1LV2

Carrier just keeps beclowning himself. My favorite moment is where he admits that fucked up on basic probability terminology ( he claims he just accidently used the wrong words) but that is somehow Barnes' fault because he should have known what he meant.
So what have we learned about Carrier?

He thinks the difference between $5 million and $1 billion is merely a clerical one (but he's totally a mathematical genius whose analysis of the Bayes stuff should be respected!)

He is willing to correct mistakes about the dollar discrepancy without apparent research. Which seems to indicate he knew he was lying/employing hyperbole, as he always does (but his commentary on his contemporaries should be respected!)

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

comhcinc wrote:
gurugeorge wrote:
comhcinc wrote:Your next point is boiler plate sound bites.
"Divider not uniter, no hopey changey" = greater racial tension in the US today than there has been for a long time, greater political tension in the US today than there has been for a long time (civil-war-ish feeling on the horizon), mild abuse of presidential power.
Civil war feeling? No. Are you saying Obama has done things to raise racial tension? What things?
I think he has made many inopportune and unnecessary public comments certainly (in the UK we call it "sticking your oar in" :) ), but actually I'm thinking more of the degree to which the police seem to have gotten more and more out of control under his watch. Trust in the police has gone down, particularly among blacks, which is partly fair, but also partly unfair, since their job is getting harder, what with the economic decline. (And re. the economics, I think there's a bigger picture, and a much bigger crash probably coming, unless the world can somehow regain confidence in US - after all, the debt mountain is only serviceable because of trust and belief in the US, so long as the trust is there, the Ponzi scheme can probably continue as long as technology keeps on improving. But one can't help pining for what could have been, if the US and world economy were run on sound economic principles, instead of everyone getting deeper and deeper into debt and hidden inflation to pay for crony capitalism, vote buying,etc.)
I am disappointed you people still think royalty is a good idea.
Ouch, low blow :)
gurugeorge wrote:You think Cruz is a stud?
Not personally and not greatly in absolute terms, but by comparison with Bernie and Hilary, they're younger men, they are charismatic, and they are smart.

But lets' not get too much into the weeds re. politics right now, I'm more interested in all the drama lama around SJW-ing, venomism, etc.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Za-zen wrote:So when he turned the canons toward Russia, all the general staff could do was say "Ja mein fuhrer!".
That's a nice story.

In truth, in 1938, knowing Germany was weak, the high command were prepared to depose Hitler, had the Munich talks failed & he ordered the invasion of Czechoslovakia. In 1939, they knew they'd dodged a bullet. They also recognized that the successes of 1940 were limited in scope and could not be sized-up to a protracted, continental conflict.

In 1941, they were mortified when they learned of Hitler's decision to attack the USSR. They devised a strategic plan focusing on a concerted push to take Moscow ASAP, with the goal of deposing Stalin & making a quick peace with whoever had bumped off Stalin. Hitler overruled that in favor of a dispersed offensive aimed at too many objectives.
The immediate historical precedent was Napoleon's failed campaign in 1815 predicated on the capture of Moscow vs the German success in WW1 where pressure and the destruction of armies led to Russia's implosion.

It was more than reasonable for the Nazis to choose to crush soviet armies in the Ukraine with the expectation that the regime would similarly fall or cease to function. It was also consistent with what had happened in France in 1940 - Paris fell with barely a whimper, the gov't scuttled but the issue had been decided by the encirclement battles around the frontier.

The Soviets rebounding Is one of those historical "gosh what'd you know" moments. With serious implications for the Germans. :?

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

Karmakin wrote:Eh, quite frankly that, all of that has less to do with Obama himself, and more to do with the aftermath of Rovian red meat politics, the rise of the Tea Party and everything that ensued after that. In short, the issue is actually with the GOP, not the Dems.

Actually saying that, let me just say that the same issues exist on the left...all of the SocJus bullshit you see is basically just Rovian red meat politics applied to low-level social issues. I'm actually shocked that sort of thing hasn't made it's way into the Dem primary more than it has, where it's mostly a side-show, I'm not really sure why it hasn't, although I suspect that people are taking Federal politics much more seriously than everything else.
I'm not sure about this line of argument - I mean I'm sure there's something in what you say, but it's a bit too close to "the devil made them do it". Just as denying Islamism as a homegrown phenomenon built up by people with their own agency, and making it ALL AMERICA'S FAULT is unrealistic re. the problem of Islamism, so the parallel type of argument doesn't seem to make much sense re. SJW, feminism, etc., ALL THE RIGHT'S FAULT. Somehow. These are home-grown Left wing phenomena that have been developing since back in the 60s and 70s with the New Left, and the influx from those Boomer generations carrying the Marxoid memeset (power relations, oppressor/oppressed group determinism) through into academia and politics through the 70s, 80s and 90s, and didn't need any external help to be quite meaty (and salty) on their own. There's a Youtube video by the guy who used to have a silver Voltaire wig, showing a pretty horrific video about a "debate competition" that was already pretty far out at the end of the 70s, and had an official proudly showing it off to the interviewer. The official was frighteningly reminiscent of the kind of potato-headed beta SJW you see nowadays, with the same sort of self-righteous, barnacle-like "I dare you to contradict muh Narrative" moue.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

RonSwanson wrote:So Cathy Young writes a pretty good article on SJWs.

The Totalitarian Doctrine of ‘Social Justice Warriors’
http://observer.com/2016/02/the-totalit ... -warriors/

And then Cathy Reisenwitz tries to convince her SJWs aren't really a thing. At least not enough of a thing to fall under an umbrella term like SJWs. Isn't this "gaslighting?" Triggered! :snooty:
While reading this article something came to my mind about "are transwomen women?"

If asked, I would answer: "No, because labeling them simply as "women" would be erasing their trans* identity, the very thing that makes them so unique as compared to the society-enforced gender binary."

That's probably what comes closest to my thoughts on the subject.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Army and Marine Corps chiefs: It’s time for women to register for the draft - Washington Post, 2/2/2016

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/che ... the-draft/