The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
gurugeorge

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by gurugeorge »

Clarence wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
So he's right. And if rape wasn't such an abhorrent crime (not as bad as murder, but STILL) and perhaps if I didn't have a family member who was raped I might agree with him about the Jury Nullfication thing. But it really is the only big thing that I"m aware of that I disagree with his stance on (as do OTHERS at A Voice for Men, they are not a freaking hive mind), so calling him a male radfem is a bit much.
One of the considerations that made me think of "openly affiliating with MRA" as being quite an important issue in these times (apart from the straightforward thought, "wtf, my reluctance is just the last trace of SJW bamboozlement in my system, why am I even heeding its promptings? I long ago ceased to care about being called names!"), was the reflection that if male rape is soooo sooooo heinous, why isn't female rape also considered heinous? Let's set aside rape with violence (which is of course likely to be largely a male thing) and consider the type of rape that's like the "grooming" of young offenders by female prison guards. Isn't that just as heinous as the male-to-female version?

But it's considerations like this that lead to the Honey Badger speculations about gynocentrism - you don't have to go all the way with Alison Tieman's psychosocial history of the world, to notice that there's a peculiar imbalance in the way we view women vs. men in society, and that it "covers up" female agency, and female malicious intent, with a sort of waft of gauze such that the thought that women can be just as nasty as men, and just as emotionally cold, sort of slides off the mind.

Which is just the same old: "sugar and spice and all things nice."

And the thing is, while it's possible to say that the HB matriarchy theory is an ideology, and while I would agree that there's always a danger it could go that way, actually its basis is just evolutionary biology (things like sexual dimorphism, neoteny, etc., leading to high value female and expendable male, etc., etc.), which is straightforward falsifiable science. The psychosocial side (e.g. how male and female infants, respectively are likely to view and react to big momma, "Das Ewigweibliche", how She is the first and most important child trainer of both boys and girls) is naturally more dubious, but as I said in a previous post, it's not like those sorts of ideas have no validity whatsoever. Patriarchy theory has always had a grain of truth to it, and if the HB theory goes deeper than patriarchy theory (which it does, or at least purports to do) that shouldn't necessarily be a strike against it. All these kinds of informed speculation are worth taking into consideration, it's just that it's not wise to formulate any political policy as a direct logical consequence of taking them to be true.

Really it's the "political use made of ideas that are essentially merely speculative" that's problematic, not "speculative ideas simply being a part of a political movement". The bad thing is when the movement loses sight of specificity and falsifiability, and the speculative theory starts to drift off, untethered to reality testing.

Anyway, the upshot of it is that one ought to openly affiliate loosely with MRA, for the very same reason that feminists home in on their biggest enemy as being MRA - because it exposes the hypocrisy of feminists thrusting the dictionary definition in peoples' faces. MRA is an arrow straight to the heart of feminist quasi-religious ideology because it exposes that "equality before the law" is a "Motte" term for feminism, and that they mean by "equality" something entirely different from "equality" as that's ordinarily understood by most people (which is something like "equal treatment by any treating agent or agency").

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Well if you call your friend a bag lady on TV .....

I doubt it was his fans - more likely a dogpile. So yeah, probably PC policing.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

rayshul wrote:
Keating wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Interesting intrusion of "mansplaining" into Australia's federal parliament.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/ ... mr3u5.html
Yeah! ACT represent!
You're in Canberra? Ew
Says the New Zealander. ;)

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I lived in Canberra for a year.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Richard Dworkins: "Did I miss anything?"

Yeah, we found out Richard Carrier likes to jizz his load onto women's faces, was begging for women to join him for this activity, and publicised this fetish on Ophelia Benson's site....with funny and disastrous results.

Oh, and we have humiliated and exposed the fucking FTBullies numerous times over - as per fucking usual.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

And I think she's a Westie too!

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Richard Dworkins: "Did I miss anything?"

Yeah, we found out Richard Carrier likes to jizz his load onto women's faces, was begging for women to join him for this activity, and publicised this fetish on Ophelia Benson's site....with funny and disastrous results.

Oh, and we have humiliated and exposed the fucking FTBullies numerous times over - as per fucking usual.
And Phil has gone what is it? 6 months without breaking anything :clap: :clap:

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

rayshul wrote:I lived in Canberra for a year.
Commiserations. Grey and freezing in winter. Scorched and stinking hot in summer. Politician central.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Lsuoma wrote:If it was a different news site, I'd suspect they were having a laugh, but this is the humorless fucking Beeb.
bust.png
Oh, I don't know. It's the kind of thing they'd read out on The News Quiz. For all the PC encroachment on comedy in the UK we're still kids when it comes to double entendres.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Brive1987 wrote:
HunnyBunny wrote:must correct myself, as pointed out, Becky wheeled out a minion to do the hatchet job.

Actual bio:
Alex Rudewell is an intersectional Buddhist feminist. Her myriad talents include clogging your social media with pictures of her chihuahua, and occasionally her begrudging cat. If that sounds like your cup of tea, you can follow @alexrudewell on Twitter.
Most of them don't have much of a bio, do they.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

rayshul wrote:I lived in Canberra for a year.
That is a penrose staircase of a sentence. Weird and impossible.

x_?_x

Post by x_?_x »

jugheadnaut wrote:
rayshul wrote:FANS. FANS. NOT FAGS.
The goyim know.

Shut it down.
Use that one sparingly, lest the same stormfags inundate this place as they did to 8's /pol/.

I've been busy: has the 'Pit been over-run by Sargon people? Has there been an influx of cyber-violence spewing terrorists?

Is the pit - my feminist safe-space to post rape fantasies totally, unquestionably true examples of patriarchal oppression - still a safe space?

These (might) be dark times. Very dark times, indeed.

x_?_x

Post by x_?_x »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Richard Dworkins: "Did I miss anything?"

What in the FUCK?!

Captain Chud - "You're with us or against us," himself - has a thing for giving ladies the 'hot smash?'

Isn't listening to him talk suffering enough for these poor women? After all the talk of feminism and womens rights, etc, he's the type who blows a load on a woman's face? I mean... fucking christ, that's crazy...

Keating

Post by Keating »

feathers

Post by feathers »

comhcinc wrote:
Really? wrote: I don't know what that means. What is "transgender face?"

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b398/ ... 15x345.png
GIVE ME YOUR TRANSGENDER FACE, SOLDIER!

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Interesting to hear Sargon's description of the Alt right. I had heard the term before but never connected the dots. The alt right is pretty odious, unfortunately they have a pretty accurate view the SJW. Just goes to show that groups can be wrong about some stuff and right about others, nuance SJWs will never grasp.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Dana Hunter is spitting chips about NECSS, Dawkins and the whole damn privilaged world.

http://archive.is/dJk95
We on the social justice side of the Deep Rifts™ will change the face of atheism. We will make a secular community where women, people of color, queer folk, trans folk, disabled folk, and other underrepresented folk find safe harbor. We will defeat the harassers, the old-school sexists, the gentlemen racists, the trolls, the harassers, the assholes, the greedy, and the other assorted jackasses that make movement atheism such a terrible place right now. We will resolve this shit, and we will make a better world.

And we will remember who stood with us, who failed us, and who opposed us.
What a fucking loon.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

comhcinc wrote:
HunnyBunny wrote:
comhcinc wrote:I wonder if it was just a straight money thing. People bitch about Dawkins, they un-invite him while offering full refunds. Lots of people ask for refunds while there is no uptick in ticket sales. So they re invite him hoping that people change their mind about canceling. I notice they didn't offer refunds this time.

Another case of SJWs don't actually buy anything?
PZ Myers agrees with you.

Hand your back-channel password in at the door on your way out.

I am the anti PZ.

He has a trophy wife. I do not.

He is well educated. I am not.

His life is cozy and secure. Mine is not.

He is meek in real life and a internet tough guy. I attempt to be fair and balanced on line and in real life I am much more forward with my views.
Nope. You have things in common with PZ and are not the anti-PZ. For instance, you both have made online unfounded accusations of people being sexually harmful. PZ has made claims of people being rapists, while you claimed on twitter that Steers is a pedo. Also, you are an angry little fuck at times, all worked up and practically spitting venom, just like PZ.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Brive1987 wrote:Dana Hunter is spitting chips about NECSS, Dawkins and the whole damn privilaged world.

We on the social justice side of the Deep Rifts™ will change the face of atheism. We will make a secular community where women, people of color, queer folk, trans folk, disabled folk, and other underrepresented folk find safe harbor. We will defeat the harassers, the old-school sexists, the gentlemen racists, the trolls, the harassers, the assholes, the greedy, and the other assorted jackasses that make movement atheism such a terrible place right now. We will resolve this shit, and we will make a better world.

[youtube]-23kmhc3P8U[/youtube]

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I missed her best line addressed to NECSS:
"Consider carefully."
:lol: :lol:

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

HunnyBunny wrote:The fucking humourless bastard feminazi wankers have driven Stephen Fry off twitter. I'm gutted, he's great & he has followed me since 2008 :(, it was my one claim to fame, 'Stephen Fry follows you' . Well me & 50,000 others, but still.

Cunts.
Srsly?

Reason #1479 for me to never have a Twitter account.

blitzem

Post by blitzem »

deLurch wrote:
blitzem wrote:Noelplum99 lays it out. First of a two-parter.
[youtube]OVUQm_b0EJQ[/youtube]
We live in a victim culture.
Too true. And sometimes it seems the 'victims' are winning. Or am I just being pessimistic?

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

x_?_x wrote:I've been busy: has the 'Pit been over-run by Sargon people? Has there been an influx of cyber-violence spewing terrorists?
Is the pit - my feminist safe-space to post rape fantasies totally, unquestionably true examples of patriarchal oppression - still a safe space?
These (might) be dark times. Very dark times, indeed.
Not really over run. There are a few people. It will most likely add to the conversation rather than drown us.

As a side note, about a week ago some woman popped up trying to recruit us into her literal white supremacist cult that turned her vagina into a clown car. We told her we don't really go for identity politics or religions around here no matter what the gender or skin color. She hasn't really caught on that we are not all white, and I don't think we really impressed on her how many people here are gay.

It appears that her cult really encourages (their website say they require it) that members recruit, so she has promised to stick around and post periodically. Hope springs eternal.

[youtube]kHmYIo7bcUw[/youtube]

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

''And we will remember who stood with us, who failed us, and who opposed us. Your names will also go on ze list!''

[youtube]bhY-Y0I8DkY[/youtube]

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Brive1987 wrote:Dana Hunter is spitting chips about NECSS, Dawkins and the whole damn privilaged world.

What a fucking loon.
Wow, that was inspiring. She should really do Shakespeare....not.

tina

Post by tina »

rayshul wrote:Here's the earliest I can find with google-fu - https://www.fanfiction.net/s/365332/1/In-Past-Regrets

It dates to 2001.

This shit has been around for a fucking long time. People are idiots to think this is a new phenomenon. It's been burning away for at least 15 years.
Longer. I became aware of it as far back as mid eighties when a bunch of feminists shoe-horned their way into a bunch of projects I was working on. It was clear from the off they had a 3rd wave entryist agenda even though I didn't have the nous to fit all the bits of the jigsaw together or the language to describe it properly. Just remember thinking at the time 'uhho, wot's all this about then?' So yeah. Would've pushed back a lot sooner if I'd known where it was heading.

tina

Post by tina »

Listened to the pitters last night. Good job. Sargon talks too much and kibs favourite word is 'basically' basically. :popcorn:

feathers

Post by feathers »

Keating wrote:If the Fascist Tit is now not alone, does that make Based Zebra, Fascist Zebra?
Or should she from now on be called Skep Tit? Question questions.

tina

Post by tina »

Dawkins should let NECSS stew in it. Up to him and his doc though. Go sit on a sunny beach for a month and get well. They're not worth it.

Really?

Post by Really? »

And no, there is no “room for a range of reasonable opinions on these issues.” There is no discussion to be had with people like Dawkins, who regularly shit all over women and minorities within the movement whilst proclaiming themselves our hero. We’ve tried. We have tried so hard, and so long, to reason with them, and we are done. We are moving on. You can move with us, or we can leave you behind.
I think Dana needs to be on the NECSS panel that Novella described. I will bring the popcorn.

jjbinx007

Post by jjbinx007 »

Huge shitstorm on Twitter right now with SJWs attacking Tatchell because he's apparently racist (for attacking the extreme views of a religion) and transphobic (for apparently outing a transwoman even though there's no evidence of that). Fucking loons.

Still appalled at Watson for shaming the ex-Mormon who didn't want to rape her. I mean, she'd had a drink, right? So that means she was in no position to consent.

feathers

Post by feathers »

HunnyBunny wrote:The fucking humourless bastard feminazi wankers have driven Stephen Fry off twitter. I'm gutted, he's great & he has followed me since 2008 :(, it was my one claim to fame, 'Stephen Fry follows you' . Well me & 50,000 others, but still.

Cunts.
The good thing being, the sooner all celebrities are marched off Twitter this way, the sooner it will crumble and die, die, die.

jjbinx007

Post by jjbinx007 »

Is there an Oppression Scale somewhere that makes it easier to understand the pecking order as to who's allowed to attack who depending on who's the most oppressed?

Because right now I see SJWs defending brown-skinned rapists and attacking white gay men, so presumably being brown-skinned gives you a free pass, but being gay is not having a sufficiently high enough Oppression Score because it's offset by being white and male.

tina

Post by tina »

I was going for 3 in a row and then feathers fucked it up. I can't even...

x_?_x

Post by x_?_x »

tina wrote:I was going for 3 in a row and then feathers fucked it up. I can't even...
Too

x_?_x

Post by x_?_x »

tina wrote:I was going for 3 in a row and then feathers fucked it up. I can't even...
damned

x_?_x

Post by x_?_x »

bad

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

jjbinx007 wrote:Huge shitstorm on Twitter right now with SJWs attacking Tatchell because he's apparently racist (for attacking the extreme views of a religion) and transphobic (for apparently outing a transwoman even though there's no evidence of that). Fucking loons.

Still appalled at Watson for shaming the ex-Mormon who didn't want to rape her. I mean, she'd had a drink, right? So that means she was in no position to consent.
I quite like Tatchell now but he first shout to fame as part of Outrage who outed prominent public figures who hid their homosexuality. Okay, they targeted hypocrites who promoted homophobia despite being in the closet themselves but back then there was an argument that for gay people to get accepted it was necessary to disregard people's privacy for the 'greater good'. Maybe Tatchell should make the argument that outing transgender people is for the greater good. I'd still rather they had their privacy but my sympathy lessens every time one opens his/her mouth.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Keating wrote:Canberra in a nutshell:

http://citynews.com.au/wp-content/uploa ... screen.jpg
what is this i dont even

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

You the the real shame about NECSS screwing up the disinvite?

The whole deep rifts thing was really starting to die down. By doing it so haphazardly, they suddenly made it a big deal again, and shown a bright spot light on it. It is as if they have dumped a whole bunch of kerosene on a small kitchen fire they were trying to put out.

And while getting people in one room to talk is generally a good idea, it will help keep those flames fanned at least until the event. And they have already shown they don't have the tact to pull it off,

I predict that out of the panel he is proposing, no matter how it turns out, Steve Novella will have turned himself into a SJW witch of the week, maybe for life. About the only thing he could do to please the SJWs, would be to pull a Dave Silverman/Vacula. But if he does that, he will lose a hell of a lot of respect from just about everyone else.

tina

Post by tina »

Shatterface wrote:
jjbinx007 wrote:Huge shitstorm on Twitter right now with SJWs attacking Tatchell because he's apparently racist (for attacking the extreme views of a religion) and transphobic (for apparently outing a transwoman even though there's no evidence of that). Fucking loons.

I quite like Tatchell now but he first shout to fame as part of Outrage who outed prominent public figures who hid their homosexuality. Okay, they targeted hypocrites who promoted homophobia despite being in the closet themselves but back then there was an argument that for gay people to get accepted it was necessary to disregard people's privacy for the 'greater good'. Maybe Tatchell should make the argument that outing transgender people is for the greater good. I'd still rather they had their privacy but my sympathy lessens every time one opens his/her mouth.
Tatchell's got guts. He will be a hard target for them. But is it just another instance of SJW's chewing one another up?

feathers

Post by feathers »

deLurch wrote:As a side note, about a week ago some woman popped up trying to recruit us into her literal white supremacist cult that turned her vagina into a clown car.
Why thank you, deLurch. It's not as if some people try to pour coffee down their throat while reading you :mrgreen:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/89/24927 ... 41fa_o.jpg

Really?

Post by Really? »

Hunt wrote:

What a fucking loon.
Wow, that was inspiring. She should really do Shakespeare....not.

Where have I heard this before?
“Don’t assume that because someone else did that, that it’s covered and you can give it a miss. No, we need to show numbers. So speak out wherever you see these two sides at loggerheads, and voice your affiliation, so it’s clear how many of us there are, against them. And this very much is an us vs. them situation. The compassionate vs. the vile. You can’t sit on the fence on this one. In a free society, apathy is an endorsement of villainy.”

“Those who don’t, those who aren’t shamed by being exposed as liars or hypocrits, those who persist in being dishonest or inconsistent even when their dishonesty or inconsistency has been soundly proven, is not one of us, and is to be marginalized and kicked out, as not part of our movement, and not anyone we any longer wish to deal with.”

“I call everyone now to pick sides (not in comments here, but publicly, via Facebook or other social media): are you with us, or with them; are you now a part of the Atheism+ movement, or are you going to stick with Atheism Less? Then at least we’ll know who to work with. And who to avoid.”

Yes, it does. Atheism+ is our movement. We will not consider you a part of it, we will not work with you, we will not befriend you. We will heretofore denounce you as the irrational or immoral scum you are (if such you are). If you reject these values, then you are no longer one of us. And we will now say so, publicly and repeatedly. You are hereby disowned.
[youtube]au2i3xxgv7U[/youtube]

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Brive1987 wrote:
What is the stereotypical Australian / New Zealander? Steve Irwin mate?

Rayshul, is that you Rayshul? :lol: :lol:
[youtube]Nl1yasSABOY[/youtube]

Tapir

Post by Tapir »

Dana...
We will resolve this shit, and we will make a better world.
http://i.imgur.com/uT0A3Ke.jpg

It's time for Atheism++

:popcorn:

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Really? wrote:
And no, there is no “room for a range of reasonable opinions on these issues.” There is no discussion to be had with people like Dawkins, who regularly shit all over women and minorities within the movement whilst proclaiming themselves our hero. We’ve tried. We have tried so hard, and so long, to reason with them, and we are done. We are moving on. You can move with us, or we can leave you behind.
I think Dana needs to be on the NECSS panel that Novella described. I will bring the popcorn.
That would be ... amusing. If her writing is any indication, her brain is not running on all of its cortical cylinders.

HoneyWagon

Post by HoneyWagon »

Brive1987 wrote:Is there anything online about "CFI Con"? I can't see anything :/
I heard about this months ago, but CSI finally posted it a few weeks back when they reset the background image for their FB page:
https://www.facebook.com/skepticalinquirer/?fref=ts

Source of image:
https://www.facebook.com/skepticalinqui ... =3&theater

http://www.internationalskeptics.com/fo ... p?t=303458 (Looks like any new info will appear here in the the still active former JREF forum)

http://lanyrd.com/2016/csicon/

I heard they wanted to do it if the 2015 TAM didn't happen...fill the void...maybe even take over the MDC (Million Dollar Challenge) but Rick Adams, the money bags behind JREF said no way (this last part is more assumed than verified)

So this is the year as TAM is off, and they picked October to not be that close to the Reason Rally in June.
I heard Excalibur is the venue.

tina

Post by tina »

"Atheism+ is our movement. We will not consider you a part of it, we will not work with you, we will not befriend you. We will heretofore denounce you as the irrational or immoral scum you are (if such you are). If you reject these values, then you are no longer one of us. And we will now say so, publicly and repeatedly. You are hereby disowned."

Gutted. Shaking and crying now. Sounds very Amish to me. *sobs*

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Tapir wrote:Dana...

It's time for Atheism++

https://i.imgflip.com/z8e7t.jpg

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

"It seems to me that science and love of my fellow human beings is more than sufficient argument to guide the entirety of my life." - PZ Myers

"The greatest tragedy of Scalia's death is that I'm all out of whisky, so I can't celebrate it properly." - PZ Myers

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

deLurch wrote:You the the real shame about NECSS screwing up the disinvite?

The whole deep rifts thing was really starting to die down. By doing it so haphazardly, they suddenly made it a big deal again, and shown a bright spot light on it. It is as if they have dumped a whole bunch of kerosene on a small kitchen fire they were trying to put out.

And while getting people in one room to talk is generally a good idea, it will help keep those flames fanned at least until the event. And they have already shown they don't have the tact to pull it off,

I predict that out of the panel he is proposing, no matter how it turns out, Steve Novella will have turned himself into a SJW witch of the week, maybe for life. About the only thing he could do to please the SJWs, would be to pull a Dave Silverman/Vacula. But if he does that, he will lose a hell of a lot of respect from just about everyone else.
They're not going to talk about the real issues, like free speech, batshit crazy behaviour on campus, failure to apply the same skepticism to 'patriarchy' and 'rape culture' as we would to UFOs and Big Foot, etc. They're going to 'address' shit like 'misogyny' in the A/S community.

They take this shit as given, then try to work out how to combat it. The reason there are more white middle class men in skepticism isn't that we are exclusionary shitlords, it's because more women, ethnic minorities, etc. believe in God, astrology, homeopathy, and all that shit. I have never, ever been asked my star sign by a bloke; no man has offered to read my palm.

The reasons for that might be sociological but they lie outside A/S.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

From the NECSS facebook page:

http://i.imgur.com/qJppfjr.jpg

Please note people: to be able to talk about sexism, you now need to waste 10 years of your life in social sciences.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

tina wrote:"Atheism+ is our movement. We will not consider you a part of it, we will not work with you, we will not befriend you. We will heretofore denounce you as the irrational or immoral scum you are (if such you are). If you reject these values, then you are no longer one of us. And we will now say so, publicly and repeatedly. You are hereby disowned."

At least the Amish let you out into the real world for a year.

And they don't use Twitter.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

HunnyBunny wrote:From the NECSS facebook page:

Please note people: to be able to talk about sexism, you now need to waste 10 years of your life in social sciences.
I feel qualified enough to dismiss the idea of God and I never spent 10 years in a monastery.

I did study sociology long enough to sort the good sociology from the bad. You don't do good sociology just by reading other sociologists and summarising them; you have to take yoyr ideas out into the real world and test them.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Søren Lilholt wrote:
HunnyBunny wrote:Myers, proving yet again what a pece of human excrement he is. The inability to see your opponents as human is a hallmark of SJWs. And Dictators guilty of mass genocide, fortunately in that respect Myers is a has-been with no control over anything.
Cue someone finding an old Myers quote where he says it's wrong to gloat over an enemy's death in 3, 2, 1...
Becky raid his stash?

Trust me, Peez, you don't need to imbibe anything that will make you any more angry and incoherent than usual.

feathers

Post by feathers »

tina wrote:"Atheism+ is our movement. We will not consider you a part of it, we will not work with you, we will not befriend you. We will heretofore denounce you as the irrational or immoral scum you are (if such you are). If you reject these values, then you are no longer one of us. And we will now say so, publicly and repeatedly. You are hereby disowned."

It sounds Adolfish to me. "Der Plusatheismus ist unsere Bewegung. Wer nicht für uns ist, ist gegen uns."

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Tapir wrote:Dana...

It's time for Atheism++

https://i.imgflip.com/z8e7t.jpg
resolve.jpg
(75.65 KiB) Downloaded 426 times

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Søren Lilholt wrote:
HunnyBunny wrote:Myers, proving yet again what a pece of human excrement he is. The inability to see your opponents as human is a hallmark of SJWs. And Dictators guilty of mass genocide, fortunately in that respect Myers is a has-been with no control over anything.
Cue someone finding an old Myers quote where he says it's wrong to gloat over an enemy's death in 3, 2, 1...
Why is the cunt not complaining that a dead famous rich white guy is taking all attention away from young black guys getting killed?

John D

Post by John D »

Shatterface wrote:
HunnyBunny wrote:From the NECSS facebook page:

I feel qualified enough to dismiss the idea of God and I never spent 10 years in a monastery.

I did study sociology long enough to sort the good sociology from the bad. You don't do good sociology just by reading other sociologists and summarising them; you have to take yoyr ideas out into the real world and test them.
I am "friends" with the Melanie in this exchange. She is actually generally pretty cool. I wrote a personal story that she included in her book about atheism. I think her problem stems from feeling she has to defend the name of "feminism". She is a Woman's Studies prof so she teaches a pile of crap... no doubt. But, her and I always have good constructive discussions. I think she must be conflicted between the "religion" she teaches and the truth. She lashes out with "marginalized half the world" comments because she can't square the circle of her philosophy. She has to double down. Too bad.... because she really is a pretty decent person in my opinion.

It does remind me of my Christian family... most of whom are really fine people.... but... if you poke at the wrong part of their philosophy (the parts that are clearly hypocritical) they come a bit unglued.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Stephen Fry has written about his reasons for leaving twitter:
It’s no big deal – as it shouldn’t be. But yes, for anyone interested I have indeed deactivated my twitter account. I’ve ‘left’ twitter before, of course: many people have time off from it whether they are in the public eye or not. Think of it as not much more than leaving a room. I like to believe I haven’t slammed the door, much less stalked off in a huff throwing my toys out of the pram as I go or however one should phrase it. It’s quite simple really: the room had started to smell. Really quite bad.

Oh goodness, what fun twitter was in the early days, a secret bathing-pool in a magical glade in an enchanted forest. It was glorious ‘to turn as swimmers into cleanness leaping.’ We frolicked and water-bombed and sometimes, in the moonlight, skinny-dipped. We chattered and laughed and put the world to rights and shared thoughts sacred, silly and profane. But now the pool is stagnant. It is frothy with scum, clogged with wee and littered with broken glass, sharp rocks and slimy rubbish. If you don’t watch yourself, with every move you’ll end up being gashed, broken, bruised or contused. Even if you negotiate the sharp rocks you’ll soon feel that too many people have peed in the pool for you to want to swim there any more. The fun is over.

To leave that metaphor, let us grieve at what twitter has become. A stalking ground for the sanctimoniously self-righteous who love to second-guess, to leap to conclusions and be offended – worse, to be offended on behalf of others they do not even know. It’s as nasty and unwholesome a characteristic as can be imagined. It doesn’t matter whether they think they’re defending women, men, transgender people, Muslims, humanists … the ghastliness is absolutely the same. It makes sensible people want to take an absolutely opposite point of view. I’ve heard people shriek their secularism in such a way as to make me want instantly to become an evangelical Christian.

But Stephen, these foul people are a minority! Indeed they are. But I would contend that just one turd in a reservoir is enough to persuade one not to drink from it. 99.9% of the water may be excrement free, but that doesn’t help. With Twitter, for me at least, the tipping point has been reached and the pollution of the service is now just too much.

But you’ve let the trolls and nasties win! If everyone did what you did, Stephen, the slab-faced dictators of tone and humour would have the place to them themselves. Well, yes and they’re welcome to it. Perhaps then they’ll have nothing to smell but their own smell.

So I don’t feel anything today other than massive relief, like a boulder rolling off my chest. I am free, free at last.
Like Fry, I do have fond memories of twitter back at the start, although it was also full of a lot of dweebs tweeting nothing but what they had for lunch.

I do think the Twitter experiment may be over, heading towards the bell end of the popularity curve, largely because twitter is now full of bellends. Fry has been in since the beginning, and he had millions of followers, but twitter has gone too far towards appeasing the Anita's and Randi's who feed off haraassment.

I'll be sad if it goes the way of myspace, it was a great free-thought experiment, until the twats arrived.