Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by Ericb »

Bourne Skeptic wrote:So where the fuck are my hugs? :( :(

http://pre13.deviantart.net/8100/th/pre ... 7owj2p.png

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

jimthepleb wrote:
Spike13 wrote:Thanks guys. That was actually interesting.( no worries Jim!)

One more thing, what was with the antibiotics in the tank? Would it render the cows unfit for use?

If so, what do they think would have happened to the animals?

Any hoo, thanks we haven't had cows in my neck of the woods for a hundred years.
If there are antibiotics in the tank the milk is poured down the drain as it can't go into the food chain. If it gets onto the tanker and into the bulk tank at the dairy company it would contaminate 50,000 litres and the farmer is liable. It's straightforward sabotage. As a dairyman a great deal of my time is spent ensuring the quality and cleanliness of the milk I produce. PETA and their equivalents spread an enormous amount of disinformation about antibiotics/mastitis and 'pus' in milk. To say nothing of the lies about welfare.
The lies about the welfare of the animals pisses me off most about PETA. They have no idea how much time is spent taking care of livestock by producers not just because of the money they'd loose if they didn't, but because they care about the animals.

feathers

Post by feathers »

screwtape wrote:My basement is now in pieces and I have discovered more than any normal person would ever want to know about backflow valves, vent pipes and toilet gaskets. It will be a month before they are done. At least I am now a true (and well-informed) shitlord.
Time to call Robert DeNiro!

[youtube]teufz17PqoY[/youtube]

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Bourne Skeptic wrote:
The lies about the welfare of the animals pisses me off most about PETA. They have no idea how much time is spent taking care of livestock by producers not just because of the money they'd loose if they didn't, but because they care about the animals.

One would think that it would dawn on the peta and rad gem types that constant lying and bullshit clickbait is a game of diminishing returns, but I guess when overall reality is against your narrative you feel you have little choice.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

feathers wrote:
screwtape wrote:My basement is now in pieces and I have discovered more than any normal person would ever want to know about backflow valves, vent pipes and toilet gaskets. It will be a month before they are done. At least I am now a true (and well-informed) shitlord.
Time to call Robert DeNiro!

[youtube]teufz17PqoY[/youtube]

Deniro was a commando HVAC mechanic in that flick.

Plumbers clear other people's shit, HVAC mechanics make Mother Nature their bitch.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

feathers wrote:
Bourne Skeptic wrote:Just came across this. Poetic justice!

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 ... le-ix-asca
motherjones wrote:Jason Casares, the associate dean of students and deputy Title IX coordinator at Indiana University's flagship campus in Bloomington, has built a reputation as an expert on college sexual assault. He's well known enough among his peers to have been voted president, in November 2014, of the Association for Student Conduct Administration, a professional group of around 2,700 college officials. Last year, he helped write the curriculum for the group's training program for campus rape investigators.
"It takes one to know one"?
The comment section is why I'm voting for Ebola in 2016.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

jugheadnaut wrote:
dogen wrote: I'm flabbergasted that Moon got bad reviews. It's such an awesome movie. The music, especially.
It received mostly glowing reviews. If I recall correctly, there were a few mixed ones that complained about pacing issues.

I agree that it's awesome. I saw it shortly after seeing the Star Trek reboot and District 9, both of which had excellent reviews and both of which disappointed me (hugely so in the case of Star Trek). For a time, it rekindled my enthusiasm for SF movies. One thing that's amazing about it is that it only cost $5 million to make, and while it's not a special effects-heavy movie, the effects it does have are totally solid. While it's a much humbler movie than 2001, the breadth of issues it intelligently touches on is almost as impressive.
The SFX in MOON were models on strings, which was an intentional choice to give it a classic feel. And yeah, lots of emotions & deep philosophy handled very subtly.

I really liked DISTRICT 9.

The first ST reboot was a promising premise, but had too much fist-fighting. The second one was utter shit, and had only fist-fighting.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

jimthepleb wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:
Spike13 wrote: So,.. You have to yank the calf out? The momma doesn't just push it out herself?
Or is this a " have the calf when we're ready/prepared thing? Honestly interested.
Pics or it didn't happen
Be careful what you wish for.
I can't find a video of Mr Chinnery assisting at a calving from The League of Gentlemen. :-(

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Spike13 wrote:They should make a show

" horrors of the barn yard " slasher flicks got nothing on the tales you folks have to tell
Uhh ... no, they shouldn't. (But if you like, I can PM you pix I've sent to the vet.)

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Bourne Skeptic wrote:So where the fuck are my hugs? :( :(
I stole them

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

BTW, I'm getting back from Beijing a day earlier than I thought - what are the instructions for joining the chat?

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

On the supremacy of HVAC.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

jugheadnaut wrote:
dogen wrote: I'm flabbergasted that Moon got bad reviews. It's such an awesome movie. The music, especially.
It received mostly glowing reviews. If I recall correctly, there were a few mixed ones that complained about pacing issues.

I agree that it's awesome. I saw it shortly after seeing the Star Trek reboot and District 9, both of which had excellent reviews and both of which disappointed me (hugely so in the case of Star Trek). For a time, it rekindled my enthusiasm for SF movies. One thing that's amazing about it is that it only cost $5 million to make, and while it's not a special effects-heavy movie, the effects it does have are totally solid. While it's a much humbler movie than 2001, the breadth of issues it intelligently touches on is almost as impressive.
Because of its arthouse aesthetic it got great reviews from the kind of people who wouldn't normally admit to liking SF: so much so not everyone felt the need to mention Duncan Jones is David Bowie's son and recognised him as a talent in his own right.

A minimal cast, some beautiful old-school model effects (I've mentioned I'm a Gerry Anderson fan), clever use of CGI (far more than most people expect) and a terrific score.

I agree with Russell Blackford that the plot doesn't make much sense - it's this centuries Silent Running - but it's hugely entertaining.

You've got to be sharp to spot Benedict Wong but he seems to be popping up in a lot of SF lately: Sunshine, Prometheus, Kick Ass 2, The Martian, Dr Strange...

feathers

Post by feathers »

Bourne Skeptic wrote:It is a great job. I'd rather work with cows than somemost of the people I've worked with.
I can kind of imagine somemost of the people are a bit taken aback when they tell you they're slightly constipated and you offer them a helping... arm. And don't try anything like this on pregnant women, they're such pussies.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Spike13 wrote:They should make a show

" horrors of the barn yard " slasher flicks got nothing on the tales you folks have to tell
Uhh ... no, they shouldn't. (But if you like, I can PM you pix I've sent to the vet.)

No, no thanks. I found bournes pic disturbing enough.

dogen

Post by dogen »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote:

The SFX in MOON were models on strings, which was an intentional choice to give it a classic feel. And yeah, lots of emotions & deep philosophy handled very subtly.

I really liked DISTRICT 9.

The first ST reboot was a promising premise, but had too much fist-fighting. The second one was utter shit, and had only fist-fighting.
What was your take on Chappie? I saw it once, and almost walked from disappointment. Big come down from District 9. But I've thought a lot about the themes it explores (and also learned a bit more about those two crazy fucks who make up Die Antwoord). I plan to rewatch and expect to view it more favorably.

Also, just watched the first few episodes of Ascension. Am enjoying it very much; my initial huge objection over the science was put to rest by the big reveal early on.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Spike13 wrote:

On the supremacy of HVAC.
Kind of reminds me of a certain oatmeal savage that used to post here. :think:

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Lsuoma wrote:BTW, I'm getting back from Beijing a day earlier than I thought - what are the instructions for joining the chat?
If it's really you the Chinese are sending back to us... I've seen the Manchurian candidate.

Perhaps the sequel is the Manchurian Facsist Tit.

What would Pizzy prefer, a naked Beckybooze in a bow or a Squid in lingerie and a red wig?

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

Lsuoma wrote:BTW, I'm getting back from Beijing a day earlier than I thought - what are the instructions for joining the chat?
PM Com your email address.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

jimthepleb wrote:I'm up for the hangout tomorrow, if it's tomorrow. Due to a lapse in calving which was anticipated to reach it's peak this week and has instead resulted in 3 calves rather than 30, tomorrow belongs to me.
There will be beer, nudity, fantasies about Rayshal's vagoogoo (hey I'm a perfectionist misogynist!) and giggling. Are we sure we want Com as a chairman, this is a guy who never came up with the moobs/hotdog goods? and I don't know anything about wresting since Big Daddy took on Giant Haystacks.
You sound like someone who would remember Jackie Pallo and Mick McManus. Jackie used to drive a Saab 96 with his signature striped trunks painted on the door. The last days of unfixed wrestling matches.

Guest_0048cc29

Post by Guest_0048cc29 »

You're asking for trouble if you guys let the FT into your chat after his visit to Huawei and before he has been scanned, checksummed, defragmented, detoxed, or better, restored from backup or rebuilt from source, ...

He might go full Manchurian Candidate on you.

Guest_0048cc29

Post by Guest_0048cc29 »

ninja'd.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Let's be fair, there is abusive farming. There are good arguments against some of the intensive systems that have come into practice over the last 50 or so years. We have over/interbred animals that are essentially fucked from birth. This is particularly prevalent in poultry where a chicken can take 10 weeks from birth to slaughter to the plate. There are also a fair number of abusive pricks in the trade, but they are vastly outnumbered by the farmers who genuinely care for their animals in my experience. PETA et al may have a point if they used just a touch of nuance in their campaigning. But nuance is anathema if you have an agenda to push.
We are dealing with TB at the moment, having had a several reactors over the last few years. Now I'd happily run out and shoot every badger in a 10 mile radius if I had good evidence to do so, but I don't have proof that the STRONG correlation between badgers and bovine TB is there and I'm well aware that housecats and feral deer carry TB too. But Brian May says I shouldn't and he has a degree in astrophysics and played the solo's on Bohemian Rhapsody, so I guess that trumps my anecdata. /venting somewhat incoherently

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Tits or gtfo

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

feathers wrote:
Bourne Skeptic wrote:It is a great job. I'd rather work with cows than somemost of the people I've worked with.
I can kind of imagine somemost of the people are a bit taken aback when they tell you they're slightly constipated and you offer them a helping... arm. And don't try anything like this on pregnant women, they're such pussies.
Was in the birthing room when my daughter was born, not much different than calving really.

For some reason women don't like to hear that. :naughty:

feathers

Post by feathers »

Seeing as the Pit tonight/this afternoon turns into Veterinarian Hospital:

[youtube]Cf9S0pYf0VM[/youtube]

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

screwtape wrote:
jimthepleb wrote:I'm up for the hangout tomorrow, if it's tomorrow. Due to a lapse in calving which was anticipated to reach it's peak this week and has instead resulted in 3 calves rather than 30, tomorrow belongs to me.
There will be beer, nudity, fantasies about Rayshal's vagoogoo (hey I'm a perfectionist misogynist!) and giggling. Are we sure we want Com as a chairman, this is a guy who never came up with the moobs/hotdog goods? and I don't know anything about wresting since Big Daddy took on Giant Haystacks.
You sound like someone who would remember Jackie Pallo and Mick McManus. Jackie used to drive a Saab 96 with his signature striped trunks painted on the door. The last days of unfixed wrestling matches.
This is my memory of the wrestling. It's astonishing how huge wrestling was in the UK in the Seventies.

I guess McManus is what they'd call a 'heal' but he was someone people loved to hate and a regular guest on shows like The Generation Game

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Curious about the details behind some of Bernie Sanders' ideas, I took a gander at his website.

I was surprised to see both the 78c-on-the-dollar assertion in there, and a number of SocJus talking points.

I like Bernie; he seems like a sensible guy, but this disappoints me. I would worry not so much about Sanders himself, but some of the loony fringe he'll give license to.

No easy choices this election.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Heel.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Talking about Mick McManus, not Sanders.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Bourne Skeptic wrote:
feathers wrote:
Was in the birthing room when my daughter was born, not much different than calving really.

Asking the missus to get up on a table so I could check her quarters for mastitis was one of my great faux pas. Apparently hooomuns don't have quarters. Wish they had told me this at school. The slap was worth the lulz though.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Re: Mick Nugent.

Do the SJWs really think any of this shit-slinging will stick?

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Sulman wrote:Curious about the details behind some of Bernie Sanders' ideas, I took a gander at his website.

I was surprised to see both the 78c-on-the-dollar assertion in there, and a number of SocJus talking points.

I like Bernie; he seems like a sensible guy, but this disappoints me. I would worry not so much about Sanders himself, but some of the loony fringe he'll give license to.

Got a bad feeling that a Bernie or Hillary win 16' will translate into a republican majority in 18'
( similar to Clinton 92' Gingrich congress in 94')

Might just be better to elect a moderate republican and hope for some new blood in 20'

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Spike13 wrote:
Bourne Skeptic wrote:

One would think that it would dawn on the peta and rad gem types that constant lying and bullshit clickbait is a game of diminishing returns, but I guess when overall reality is against your narrative you feel you have little choice.
Between PETA and ALF they really pulled some stupid stunts:
http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/minks.asp

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

jimthepleb wrote:
Bourne Skeptic wrote:
feathers wrote:

Asking the missus to get up on a table so I could check her quarters for mastitis was one of my great faux pas. Apparently hooomuns don't have quarters. Wish they had told me this at school. The slap was worth the lulz though.

What do you call a guy with his arm up a horses ass?

An Amish mechanic. :rimshot:
Robin Williams.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Shatterface wrote:Re: Mick Nugent.

Red Polo Shirts are like Teflon to SJW shit.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Yes they do. It typically works for them on most people. Either the individual they are targeting will cave, or the organizations they work for will cave.

What they haven't tried yet are whispering campaigns of sexual harassment &/or rape.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

jimthepleb wrote:

Anyone interested in a red polo shirt with an embroidered Slymepit Logo?

Will run around $30-35 depending on numbers.

PM me. I'll collect info first, then money and sizes later.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Spike13 wrote:
Sulman wrote:Curious about the details behind some of Bernie Sanders' ideas, I took a gander at his website.

Got a bad feeling that a Bernie or Hillary win 16' will translate into a republican majority in 18'

Might just be better to elect a moderate republican and hope for some new blood in 20'
None of the Republican moderates are all that moderate, and in any case it's crazy that leads the polls. Pick Cruze or Trump.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Couch wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:re: Accomodationism.

I used to listen to the Reasonable Doubts podcast (now defunct). At one point they did an interview with Chris Mooney (link below - if memory serves):

It was interesting because the interviewer kept prompting Mooney to be critical of P Z - but Mooney really did not want to be drawn on the subject. I thought at the time - why not just interview Myers if that's who you want to talk to.

Post elevatorgate the RD crew sided with P Z - they were hosted on FTB (until their podcast ended), at least one of them was part of the virtual FTP-con, and they never stated any overt criticism of Myers.
Reasonable Doubts was mostly an outstanding podcast and remains, amongst other things, an excellent counter-apologetics resource I still utilise.

They wound the podcast up last year after several months of inactivity, with the final episode in September.

It was the right podcast at the right time for my de-conversion from religion and over the years I grew affection for the mainstays Luke Galen, Jeremy Beahan and host, Dave Fletcher. All three had been fundies of various stripes, and their locale of Grand Rapids, West Michigan sounded to me so oppressively Christian it might have been another planet.

Snip
Yeah, RD was a must listen to podcast in its day. Their series on free will(y) was a particular classic. I remember one telephone debate on the topic with a Christian podcast duo that was hilarious.

One of them was married to a CFI staffer who struck me as a SJite. I recall their shame that they all had penises and their horror that they couldn't find a good woman. It seems every bro podcast needs a Rebecca Watson.

NoGodsEver

Post by NoGodsEver »

TRGRD wrote:
I'm strongly tempted to wait until I see him around campus, then loudly strike up a conversation within earshot about how I found this website called "the slyme pit" and how it's "pretty kickass" just to see what shade of purple he turns.
I predict he'll act fast, and have a female professor stay with you while he reports you to the proper authorities.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Lsuoma wrote:
jimthepleb wrote:

BTW, I won't be answering your PMs right away. I'll wait for a bit, announce that the deal is closing, then start working on it.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

NoGodsEver wrote:
TRGRD wrote:
I'm strongly tempted to wait until I see him around campus, then loudly strike up a conversation within earshot about how I found this website called "the slyme pit" and how it's "pretty kickass" just to see what shade of purple he turns.
I predict he'll act fast, and have a female professor stay with you while he reports you to the proper authorities.
I know he is an ASS - but I think it best if PZ Myers online antics are kept separate from his real world job. I mean even alluding to things on campus could have unforseen consequences, and potentially cause a major shitstorm for everyone (Slymepit included).

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

Former Student Sues Harvard Over Handling of Sexual Crimes Complaints

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/20/us/ha ... pe=article

I wonder who has deeper pocket Harvard or the guy?

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

Lsuoma wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
jimthepleb wrote:

BTW, I won't be answering your PMs right away. I'll wait for a bit, announce that the deal is closing, then start working on it.
Act now, limited time offer!

[youtube]qZYY0U3pALk[/youtube]

TRGRD

Post by TRGRD »

Spike13 wrote:
TRGRD wrote:
If it did, they weren't very effective ones.

http://collections.yadvashem.org/photos ... 972459.jpg

irrelevant. Who won?

( before some smart ass says " the Russians" they lost an estimated 20 mil citizens.
The US lost 400k and ended the wor as the most powerful economy on the planet.)
Oh no, the Sherman was in strategic terms the best tank of the war. Didn't matter that it was easy to destroy, we could produce like 10 of them for every one Tiger the krauts made. 5 Sherms to one Tiger was considered acceptable losses. And it was an easy tank to bail out of, so most of the experienced crews survived, and the tank was simple enough that you pretty much could just hose it out, patch the armor, replace some of the parts and have it back on the line in a week or so. I just like to make fun of them.

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

TRGRD wrote:
Spike13 wrote:
TRGRD wrote:

http://collections.yadvashem.org/photos ... 972459.jpg

irrelevant. Who won?

( before some smart ass says " the Russians" they lost an estimated 20 mil citizens.
Oh no, the Sherman was in strategic terms the best tank of the war. Didn't matter that it was easy to destroy, we could produce like 10 of them for every one Tiger the krauts made. 5 Sherms to one Tiger was considered acceptable losses. And it was an easy tank to bail out of, so most of the experienced crews survived, and the tank was simple enough that you pretty much could just hose it out, patch the armor, replace some of the parts and have it back on the line in a week or so. I just like to make fun of them.
"they were easy to bail out of"

That's a hell of an endorsement. :lol:

TRGRD

Post by TRGRD »

Bourne Skeptic wrote:
TRGRD wrote:
Spike13 wrote:
irrelevant. Who won?

"they were easy to bail out of"

That's a hell of an endorsement. :lol:
It sounds counter-intuitive but from a strategic point of view it really is. A well-trained tank crew is worth far more than the tank itself in wartime, because it takes way longer to train a new crew than build a new tank.

windy

Post by windy »

Saturday is World Social Justice Day. Don't forget to check your privilege!

https://globalroundtableissues.files.wo ... ustice.jpg

(Actually it's about the sane kind of social justice. Or at least I hope it is)

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Lsuoma wrote: Anyone interested in a red polo shirt with an embroidered Slymepit Logo?

Maybe you should consider running this plan past Mykeru first?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Spike13 wrote: Got a bad feeling that a Bernie or Hillary win 16' will translate into a republican majority in 18'

In Congress? There's a GOP majority now.

There are no moderate republicans this year. Romney would've fit the bill.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

TRGRD wrote:
Spike13 wrote:
TRGRD wrote:

[bimg]http://collections.yadvashem.org/photos ... 972459.jpg[/bimg]

irrelevant. Who won?

Paging Tits McGee!

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

God this Nugent situation just got way worse.

I did love this bit from Derek Walsh:
Sarah Malone:

Yeah transgender people often

No no no no no. Not “transgender people often”.

Not “transgender people”, just Aidan Rowe.

Not “often”, just in this particular instance.

Do you see the difference? Do you see why criticism of one person’s actions is not a criticism of the entirety of behaviour of a whole class of people? Do you see why one person’s behaviour can’t be excused, ignored or defended by appealing to the idea that the sort of person they are is unlikely to behave in such a way?
I suspect you don’t, and I believe it’s the same sort of category error that began this whole silly affair.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

And of course by "just got worse" I mean "got worse while I personally wasn't looking."

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

MarcusAu wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: Anyone interested in a red polo shirt with an embroidered Slymepit Logo?

Maybe you should consider running this plan past Mykeru first?
No. Fuckin' shirts would end up costing 500 bucks apiece.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

I thought the movie, Moon, was problematic.

There was some very bad science, and if I recall correctly (it's been rather a long time since I saw it), one rather large plot gap.

Also, it was dull. Very dull. I love Rockwell, and I thought the overall plot was interesting, but the movie itself was dull.

I gave it 2 out of 5 stars ... maybe 2 and a half. :bjarte:

ffs

Post by ffs »

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

I'd love a shirt.

ffs

Post by ffs »

Sunder wrote:God this Nugent situation just got way worse.

I did love this bit from Derek Walsh:
Sarah Malone:

Yeah transgender people often

No no no no no. Not “transgender people often”.

Not “transgender people”, just Aidan Rowe.

Not “often”, just in this particular instance.

Do you see the difference? Do you see why criticism of one person’s actions is not a criticism of the entirety of behaviour of a whole class of people? Do you see why one person’s behaviour can’t be excused, ignored or defended by appealing to the idea that the sort of person they are is unlikely to behave in such a way?
I suspect you don’t, and I believe it’s the same sort of category error that began this whole silly affair.
Well here's his problem -
On Wednesday Jane Donnelly and I were at a conference in Limerick about inter-belief dialogue,
Limericks are full of transgressive jokes and are deeply problematic

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Spike13 wrote: Got a bad feeling that a Bernie or Hillary win 16' will translate into a republican majority in 18'

In Congress? There's a GOP majority now.

There are no moderate republicans this year. Romney would've fit the bill.
Sorry, a Gingrich like swell that would give the house a larger majority and perhaps swing the senate as well.( I was thinking 92' centric when I posted, my bad)