The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by Lsuoma »

MarcusAu wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote: Laci Green looks a lot better when bra-less. Her boobs don't look like big bags of fat any more. When boobs are too big, they are just ugly. I realize that many others here will disagree with me on that! :)
So you are not a fan of Chesty Morgan then?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069952/

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Git wrote:https://kiwifar.ms/threads/slymepit-bre ... rds.18058/

The Pit has achieved apotheosis - there's now a dedicated Slymepit.com thread on the farms. But quick, don't let anyone know about the inner forums/back channel...
I am sure a lot of those usernames have significant online footprints
Steersman's does. Fucker gets everywhere. Enjoy!

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Tigzy wrote:

The Pit has achieved apotheosis - there's now a dedicated Slymepit.com thread on the farms. But quick, don't let anyone know about the inner forums/back channel...
Just like that black stuff when a printer cartridge leaks.

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

Lsuoma wrote:
Tigzy wrote:

FT just accused another Pitter of toner-trolling. The back channel arbitration council isn't going to like this.

German StrutBoatsman

Post by German StrutBoatsman »

Brive1987 wrote:Aneris / German speakers.

In German does Weltkreig have any deeper meaning than boring old "world War". Somehow I don't think it meant in 1914 what we might think it meant in 2016.

Im calling bullshit on the idea of a global war of competing international nation states (and their agendas) being a conscious thing before the 1930s.
So, what's your take? What are international nations states - imperialistic nations? I seem to have some problems understanding the question. How would you explain imperialism or Bismark's realpolitik if not by referring to competing nation states and their agendas?

"One would have expected better of the great world-ruling nations of white race (...), one would have expected these peoples would find a better way to deal with their disagreements and conflicts of interests."
- Freud, Zeitgemäßes über Krieg und Tod (1915)

Mein Kampf appeared in 1925 and 1926 and while it explains history more as a struggle of competing races/peoples, my impression was that it could only do so because the narration about competing nations was already there.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

SM12 wrote:
jet_lagg wrote: I'm with Phil. If they'd gender-swapped one or two members of the main cast I'd say it's a valid trick to shake things up (though in 2016, it's a trick that's increasingly getting played out). Swapping the entire cast? That would have been gimmicky 30 years ago. It reeks of political agenda.
When Hammer Horror started casting women as vampires, that was to smash the Patriarchy, and not even a little bit exploitative.
I found a way to save the movie and still smash the patriarchy. You can have this one for free Sony. Next time go to some fucking cons.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/23 ... 333e7b.jpg

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

gurugeorge wrote:My jackpot was a collection thrown out for the paper round. There I was gaily skipping along the road at 9 or 10 years old, curiously attracted by the shiny bundle. I snuck em home and hid them (about 5 mags), mostly Penthouse, nothing too hardcore, but all doing strange things to me. In particular I remember one of those text-only mags with "letters", one in particular about the upper classes having sex after fox hunting.

Ever since, the word "jodhpurs" and the phrase "legs akimbo" have given me peculiar excitations.
That story sounds like a rip-off of one (of my favorites) by Anais Nin.

German StrutBoatsman

Post by German StrutBoatsman »

Aneris wrote: In my perception, its merely the name for the thing. For Germans it was simply the war against other European nations, and in fact just another war. Other places played little to no role role in the German perception.
Aneris, I like your posts very much, but in this point I think you're largely misguided. The war was called 'world war' in German papers even in 1914 (I had a very cursory look but check http://dynamic.faz.net/red/2014/epaper/1914-09-02.pdf). The fate of the colonies seem irrelevant today but it wasn't like this in 1914/15. There were quite a lot of streets and places named after Lettow-Vorbeck after the war and it was also a major point of revanchism. Even without that, Germans were fighting or involved in fighting from the Atlantic sea to Turkey and the Ukraine to the Pacific, with enemies from the United States to Japan.

This had little to no meaning to where most of the Germans actually died but the perception was different as far as I understand it. Press media made a lot about adventure stories in exotic places be they Africa, China or the high seas.

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

Ghostbusters bingo, stolen from KiA.

http://i.imgur.com/y0pPxy3.jpg

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

We watched The Little Prince yesterday. I was afraid they would mangle this beloved book somehow, but they managed to make a truly great movie for St Exupéry lovers.

Highly recommended.

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

Interesting analysis of Twitter's Trust and Safety Council from tl;dr. A couple of old friends crop up in unexpected places (i.e. not just where they're officially at as members of the council):-

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Dave wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:So you are not a fan of Chesty Morgan then?
Nope. Can't say I'm a fan. I just don't get the appeal. Bags overstuffed with fat. :puke-huge:

https://javaadvenlu.files.wordpress.com ... c02b16.png
Fat?

Not sure you have the stuffing correct.

http://www.sanfranciscoplasticsurgerybl ... 24x469.jpg
That makes it worse. Those boob fillers always look like they're ready to burst, followed by a trip to the emergency room. I'd be scared to even touch fake boobs. Not that I was ever much of a boob person, even during my dykey years, but still, I'm not a fan of fake ones or huge boobs.

blitzem

Post by blitzem »

MarcusAu wrote:I'm still am not sure why Ghostbusters is getting all the attention. Surely something like High Rise is of more interest, as it explicitly includes themes of class warfare and social justice.

Anyone else looking forward to it?

[youtube]LKPghZ5cc_E[/youtube]
Hiddleston, like Fassbender. Irons and oddly enough Renner, is quickly becoming someone that I will watch a movie for regardless of the subject matter. I didn't know about this one. Cheers for posting the trailer. Looks good.

Billie from Ockham

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:We watched The Little Prince yesterday. I was afraid they would mangle this beloved book somehow, but they managed to make a truly great movie for St Exupéry lovers.

Highly recommended.
Are you referring to the clay-mation version? It's a classic.

[youtube]WjqmXKcZx8[/youtube]

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

No, the new 3D/Stop Motion movie.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

blitzem wrote:
Hiddleston, like Fassbender. Irons and oddly enough Renner, is quickly becoming someone that I will watch a movie for regardless of the subject matter. I didn't know about this one. Cheers for posting the trailer. Looks good.
Almost agreed, except Irons. We don't want to repeat the Dungeon & Dragons fiasco, do we? I'll add Cumberbatch, Tom Hardy and McConaughey.

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

Service Dog wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote: Hembling has made two claims:

a) the feminism is "in the tradition" of Rosacrucians
b) that the founder of feminism was Helena Blavatsky.
Both claims are incorrect.
Your mirror-climbing efforts remind me of when the SJWs bent over backwards to justify Myers' "haven for rapists" claims as not implying that at least one of the member of the Slymepit was likely a rapist.
You haven't confined yourself to disputing Hembling's claims: you advanced your own false counter-claims. So I have not been free to concede that Hembling might-be wrong, without replacing his errors with your-own.

Another reason to reject your interpretation is that-- by dwelling on faults in John Hembling's grammar-- you make this conversation boring & pedantic/ while overlooking the entertaining, enlightening truth of Hembling's greater thesis. For example-- Hembling's assertion that feminism is "not a secular movement". He's telling-us that he had an epiphany-- that feminism gets grouped-in with secular movements... such as humanism, civil rights... but that feminism should actually be grouped with movements such as the belief that Santa Claus is real.

To substantiate this claim, Hembling gives examples when-- when falsified by evidence-- feminism's veil of rationality was dropped, revealing the underlying superstitious foundation. In contrast, you seem to believe that there are rational schools of feminism & irrational ones... as if the rationality isn't a facade for irrationality.

...which seems incongruent with your beliefs about evolution. You said, "Biological factors have shaped our brains far more than cultural ones. Sexual dimorphism exists (on statistical basis, of course) and its influence is often underestimated these days"

If you're able to see that our evolutionary biology can influence our thought more than we recognize-- preventing us from being as rational as we think we are-- then why would you exempt the seemingly-rational schools of feminism from having been susceptible to the same biology-based errors?
Sorry to backtrack to this older post, but was reviewing some stuff I missed.

Yeah, this is a fascinating topic and there's definitely something deep in all this. For example: Kto-kogo in the case of the "virgin/mother/whore" archetype? Would men, left to their own devices, really despise whores? Or is that something their mothers have taught them to do? ;)

On the whole I think that evol psych is the best basis: we're talking about some "hardware" biological facts, which set conditions for the slow-moving cultural "operating system", which in turn set conditions for the "software" of faster-moving ideas and ideologies.

Again, irony: there's usually something interesting in quasi-religious ideologies like Marxism, "social justice" or feminism, in this case what I've just said was echoed by "base/superstructure" in Marxism. The notion of "patriarchy" is also not entirely without merit as an explanatory/exploratory idea - but the deeper you pursue that line of inquiry, you start to realize there may actually be a bedrock of gynocentrism underlying it all (mainly due to sexual dimorphism leading to male expendability/high female "value").

But I do think you need to take the hardware/OS/software type of approach, and it's always going to be better and more realistic than a "pure" apriori ideological approach (the type of thing with the three-step structure of 1) source of "power", 2) oppressor/oppressed groups, and 3) human behaviour determined by group identity) - in which case the true results of a really deep structural analysis wouldn't necessarily please any particular reformatory ideologue's preferences, any more that it would necessarily please the traditionalist.

But it's what we have to deal with, to cope with. Lifting the rock on our deep natures isn't necessarily going to be pleasant, but it's always going to be interesting and instructive.

As to the specific topic of woo religiosity weaving through the history of feminism, let's not forget that Annie Besant of birth-control fame was a Theosophist (one of Blavatsky's crew - actually Besant sort of usurped the movement from her IIRC?)

But it's not really that we need to trace specific woo religious concepts, it's more that there's something like a "fixed quantum of religiosity" in human nature that almost needs to be satisfied in one way or another. If it isn't satisfied by the old, established, traditional religion, it will be satisfied by making secular ideologies quasi-religious. Similarly to there being seemingly some sort of "fixed quantum of hatred for the Other" that seems to be in human nature, and if it's forbidden to hate black people, then by God we'll hate white people instead. That sort of thing.

But there's also a simpler way to look at it (although again, connecting back to the evol psych angle): for a man, woman is the realest "goddess" there is. You came from Mummy, Mummy was the big thing that raised you, and you're always trying to get back to where you came from :)

SM12

Post by SM12 »

Is there really such a thing as this programme on British TV.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/like ... tv-7493263

The gadgie deein the taaking wants shootin. Eeeh man, I divven knaa what to say.

Outed1TimeAsGrey!

Post by Outed1TimeAsGrey! »

MarcusAu wrote:
SM12 wrote:
jet_lagg wrote: I'm with Phil. If they'd gender-swapped one or two members of the main cast I'd say it's a valid trick to shake things up (though in 2016, it's a trick that's increasingly getting played out). Swapping the entire cast? That would have been gimmicky 30 years ago. It reeks of political agenda.
When Hammer Horror started casting women as vampires, that was to smash the Patriarchy, and not even a little bit exploitative.
[youtube]StTTfl8SU5k[/youtube]

Sorry, I got a bit distracted. What were you saying?
Oh, Ingrid Pitt and Madeliene Smith. I remember them well, all four of them.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

German StrutBoatsman wrote:
Aneris wrote: In my perception, its merely the name for the thing. For Germans it was simply the war against other European nations, and in fact just another war. Other places played little to no role role in the German perception.
Aneris, I like your posts very much, but in this point I think you're largely misguided. The war was called 'world war' in German papers even in 1914 (I had a very cursory look but check http://dynamic.faz.net/red/2014/epaper/1914-09-02.pdf). The fate of the colonies seem irrelevant today but it wasn't like this in 1914/15. There were quite a lot of streets and places named after Lettow-Vorbeck after the war and it was also a major point of revanchism. Even without that, Germans were fighting or involved in fighting from the Atlantic sea to Turkey and the Ukraine to the Pacific, with enemies from the United States to Japan.

This had little to no meaning to where most of the Germans actually died but the perception was different as far as I understand it. Press media made a lot about adventure stories in exotic places be they Africa, China or the high seas.
Indeed. Von Spee's depredations with the German East Asia Squadron (included the Gneisenau and the Scharnhorst) in the Pacific up to the Battle of Coronel off Chile were acclaimed from the rooftops in Germany, although the press was understandably less enthusiastic after the Battle of the Falklands. The German empire, and Little Willie in particular, lusted terribly for an overseas empire in the decades leading up to the Great War, and the idea that the plucky German fleet was sticking it to the British Empire around the globe had tremendous attraction.

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

Chesty Morgan smashed The Patriarchy with her breasts:

[youtube]wgkUSKIahLA[/youtube]

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Meanwhile, we abolished monarchy, got ourselves an emperor, then back to "republic", then another fucking monarch, then back to republic again.

Ahhhh, those were the days...

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

ffs wrote:
If Mexican students are really feeling victimised I'd tell them to buckle-up, and remember the Alamo.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Shatterface wrote:
If Mexican students are really feeling victimised I'd tell them to buckle-up, and remember the Alamo.
Also don't sweat it, no need to wet your back over such trivial matters.

blitzem

Post by blitzem »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
blitzem wrote:
Almost agreed, except Irons. We don't want to repeat the Dungeon & Dragons fiasco, do we? I'll add Cumberbatch, Tom Hardy and McConaughey.
Yeah, Irons wasn't enough to get me to watch the D and D movie, so I guess that is a mark against my movie policy. And agreed on the ones you mentioned, as long as Matt agrees to bathe before he steps on the red carpet.

Billie from Ockham

Three syllables for those who will watch any movie with Jeremy Irons in it: low lee tah.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

blitzem wrote: And agreed on the ones you mentioned, as long as Matt agrees to bathe before he steps on the red carpet.
I thought it was just him pushing his character acting, depicting the stench of Hollywood business and such.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Billie from Ockham wrote:Three syllables for those who will watch any movie with Jeremy Irons in it: low lee tah.
Shockingly good movie for a very shocking subject. Irons had massive balls for accepting the part.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Ok, fine:

[youtube]FQq1ilQ2ZiE[/youtube]

Billie from Ockham

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote:Three syllables for those who will watch any movie with Jeremy Irons in it: low lee tah.
Shockingly good movie for a very shocking subject. Irons had massive balls for accepting the part.
There must be two version, because the one I saw was absolute shit. The part that took balls, IMO, was Waterland.

blitzem

Post by blitzem »

Ok, ok. I admit, Irons has been in some shit, and this refutes my argument. (wanders off grumbling)

@Phil: If that is what McConaughey is doing, then my opinion of him went up a notch. I already find him to be one of the best interviews.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Scented Nectar wrote:http://www.sanfranciscoplasticsurgerybl ... 24x469.jpg
That makes it worse. Those boob fillers always look like they're ready to burst, followed by a trip to the emergency room. I'd be scared to even touch fake boobs.
Therefore, there should be a safety valve just behind the nipple so it can blow off salt water if you press too hard.

I doubt that Chesty M had implants though, I guess they injected silicone directly
...from the tank wagon.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

feathers

Post by feathers »

Hunt wrote:
JackSkeptic wrote:Aneris often makes the claim women experience sexism regularly. I tend to ignore it as him having one of his moments:)
Him?
I think I've spotted Aneris pointing to themselves as him, once. If he looks like Kaya Scodelario, I'd hit him anyway. I think.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

feathers wrote:
Hunt wrote:
JackSkeptic wrote:Aneris often makes the claim women experience sexism regularly. I tend to ignore it as him having one of his moments:)
Him?
I think I've spotted Aneris pointing to themselves as him, once. If he looks like Kaya Scodelario, I'd hit him anyway. I think.
Better to keep the sex/gender ambiguous. I see Aneris as a "she", but wouldn't be surprised to find a 40-something bald guy in a basement. The thing that counts is the argument.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

blitzem wrote:
@Phil: If that is what McConaughey is doing, then my opinion of him went up a notch. I already find him to be one of the best interviews.
I was joking. It's very possible that Matt has bad body hygiene. And there's nothing wrong with that, it builds up the immune system.

A notoriously stinky actor is Christopher Walken. I seem to remember some actress describing him as "rancid".

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Better to keep the sex/gender ambiguous. I see Aneris as a "she", but wouldn't be surprised to find a 40-something bald guy in a basement. The thing that counts is the argument.
Aneris is a woman. Aneris has said she is a woman.

I am a god. (Ghostbuster reference)

welch

Post by welch »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
That Maddox person nailed it. My thoughts exactly.
I watched the preview. Whoever did that preview should be slapped. Unless the point was to make everyone as apathetic as possible about the movie.

welch

Post by welch »

fuzzy wrote:"Students speak out against Yiannopoulos"
http://pittnews.com/article/69187/news/ ... nnopoulus/
Marcus Robinson, president of Pitt’s Rainbow Alliance, said after leaving the lecture on Monday, he felt unsafe on campus for the first time.

“So many of us shared in our pain. I felt I was in danger, and I felt so many people in that room were in danger. This event erased the great things we’ve done,” Robinson said. “For the first time, I’m disappointed to be at Pitt.”

Robinson suggested that the University should have provided counselors in a neighboring room to help students who felt “invalidated” or “traumatized” by the event.
Dear lord, a lecture traumatized them.

welch

Post by welch »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Michael J wrote:
NoGodsEver wrote:PZ is looking forward to Ghostbusters, which, given his taste in film, is as good an indication as any that it will probably be utter shit. That, and the execrable trailer. Not only were there no laughs from that trailer, there were no smiles.
Too scared not to like it unless someone in the SJW leadership thinks that it is problematic and then he will have always disliked it.
The trailer is horrible. The acting is flat and oddly forced, the jokes are cringe-worthy and the black ghostbuster seems to be written like a terrible stereotype.

Even from a "progressive" point of view the trailer seems more dated than the first two Ghostbuster movies.

In the original films Winston Zeddemore was a cool, suave man who acted as the straight man to Peter Venkman, the smarmy asshole, Ray Stantz,the childlike enthusiast, and Egon Spengler, the socially impaired and emotionless (bordering on the sociopathic) scientist.

Just watch this clip:

[youtube]NFX4fmldZFs[/youtube]

The new black Ghostbuster seems to me to be the "sassy black woman" stereotype. If you want to be subversive and progressive, why don't you make the black character the smarmy asshole or the unemotional scientist?
Also very religious. Can't have a black woman in a movie widdout da jesus. Seriously, no one making that decision didn't even think "hmm...we appear to have cast the black person as a collection of tropes...wait, can we have her drink nothing but "red drank"? There, now totally accurate."

Making her the spengler character would have been interesting.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

I'm lucky that most of my friends and relations are aware that I don't like movies much and avoid most of them. It gives me an alibi for avoiding this turd. OTOH it doesn't work perfectly. I still have people crabbing at me to see the shitty new Mad Max reboot.

Also, I'm not sure where the baby talk post originated, but this part:
some social justice moron wrote: Women not men. Women not men at all!
is definitely transphobic, and the author should be publicly shamed for it immediately. :naughty:

feathers

Post by feathers »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Better to keep the sex/gender ambiguous. I see Aneris as a "she", but wouldn't be surprised to find a 40-something bald guy in a basement. The thing that counts is the argument.
Sure, and the argument is: Your place or mine?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

comhcinc wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Aneris is a woman. Aneris has said she is a woman.

I am a god. (Ghostbuster reference)
As far as I'm concerned, if Aneris states she's a woman, I will gladly oblige. Unlike a certain wankstain over at Michael's, she's always been very polite, honest and thoughtful.

See Aidan, that's how real life interactions work. take notes.

And get off my lawn!

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Old Ghostbusters for baby men.

This big grown up film about women living in fire station, getting slimed by ghosts, and fighting Marshmallow Monsters.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Phil said:
We watched The Little Prince yesterday. I was afraid they would mangle this beloved book somehow, but they managed to make a truly great movie for St Exupéry lovers.
I had not heard about this. Anyway, I love Saint-Exupéry. I just re-read, yesterday, two of my favourite short stories of is: Southern Mail, and Night Flight (his first and second stories). If you haven't read them, do. They are lovely, poignant stories about early mail flights.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

blitzem wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
blitzem wrote:
Yeah, Irons wasn't enough to get me to watch the D and D movie, so I guess that is a mark against my movie policy. And agreed on the ones you mentioned, as long as Matt agrees to bathe before he steps on the red carpet.
Gonna have to defend Irons and Dungeons and Dragons. It is a magnificently dreadful film, and Jeremy overacts so splendidly it's exhausting to watch. He makes Brian Blessed going full Brian Blessed look like someone suffering from shut-in syndrome. He quite obviously took one look at the script and and said "I will never in my life have the opportunity to be involved in anything this bad ever again. I'll do it!"

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

DaveDodo007 wrote:
Aneris wrote:Women experience everyday sexism all the time. You are just unware of it, because as nerdy, decent, or shy folks you have no idea how bad it really is. Ask women you trust and close to you: they know about groping and worse situations, and they might tell you. The younger (the prettier) they are, the more sexual harassment they experienced, especially around drunk men. The older they are, they tell you about being not taken seriously.

There is also research. Boys, for some reason, feel competition and role models inspire them to try harder. Girls, however, feel discouraged. Take this as an erisian incentive for introspection and thought, and fuck the SJWs and their postmodernist bullshit.
Probably time to get the hell out of Cologne.
I hear from a reliable source (Gilliel) that Ur-Germans are the world's worst sexists, worse than the worst mooslems, so maybe it's just a German thing. :geek:

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Jeremy Irons is a fucken genius:

[youtube]6GF6ouF0AXg[/youtube]

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

The other guy's a Cant.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

welch wrote:
Marcus Robinson, president of Pitt’s Rainbow Alliance, said after leaving the lecture on Monday, he felt unsafe on campus for the first time.

“So many of us shared in our pain. I felt I was in danger, and I felt so many people in that room were in danger. This event erased the great things we’ve done,” Robinson said. “For the first time, I’m disappointed to be at Pitt.”
Wait, they named a University after US? No wonder they're traumatised.

Outed1TimeAsGrey!

Scented Nectar wrote:http://www.sanfranciscoplasticsurgerybl ... 24x469.jpg
That makes it worse. Those boob fillers always look like they're ready to burst, followed by a trip to the emergency room. I'd be scared to even touch fake boobs.
Are you sure you haven't?

Those that I have knowingly touched were firmer than the average. Give me a moment to reminisce....

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Just went to see Hail Ceasar today.

I won't spoil it for everyone, but there is a very funny scene where the studio fixer has a conference with various religious representatives (catholic priest, eastern orthodox patriach, protestant preacher, and a rabbi - there's a joke there somewhere) to get their approval for the film-within-the-film ie the religious epic - 'Hail Ceasar'

Just got me thinking that facebook and the twitter Trust & Safety council and SJWs in general - seem to be going for the level of influence that the Legion of Decency once had. And to reduce their influence a similar pushback will have to (and is already) taking place.

Other than that - I think most people will get more out of the movie if they are fans of 40s and 50s studio films. In fact I think in large part the movie was made so that the Coen brothers could include their tributes to films of that era.

Outed1TimeAsGrey!

welch wrote:

Robinson suggested that the University should have provided counselors in a neighboring room to help students who felt “invalidated” or “traumatized” by the event.
Dear lord, a lecture traumatized them.
He announced at one of the universities that he had been given a time limit to how long he could be on campus and that he was not allowed to stay in the on-campus hotel. (And of course they censored the title of the tour - can't display the word 'faggot' -which I believe translates as oboe or clarinet in English.)

blitzem

Post by blitzem »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
blitzem wrote:
I was joking. It's very possible that Matt has bad body hygiene. And there's nothing wrong with that, it builds up the immune system.

A notoriously stinky actor is Christopher Walken. I seem to remember some actress describing him as "rancid".
...sigh. Is this golf? Can a take a mulligan in lack of understanding humour on a Friday morning? Didn't know that about Walken. Might explain what's happened to his face.

Also....Harvard, the "please help me I'm stupid" university...it just keeps on coming from there:

http://www.bbc.com/news/education-35726878

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

blitzem wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:I'm still am not sure why Ghostbusters is getting all the attention. Surely something like High Rise is of more interest, as it explicitly includes themes of class warfare and social justice.

Anyone else looking forward to it?

[youtube]LKPghZ5cc_E[/youtube]
I made an exception to my no trailer-watching policy for this as I've read the book. Looks like they've actually set it in the Seventies rather than updating it. That's encouraging.

JG Ballard is my favourite author and High-Rise is one of his best. It's part of a thematic trilogy with Crash and Concrete Island.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Kirbmarc wrote:

They've selected my thread with Steersman as "worth talking about". On the other hand they've also selected Creativity73 as a representative of the Pit.
Given that McDermott and Bewildered Ape have accounts there I suppose they're representatives of kiwifarms.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

This may provide more context for my appreciation (if not love) of Chesty Morgan.

She was big in the 70s (and apparently still is).

Just recall - those who don't remember the past are doomed to repeat it - and I'm sure that most don't want to go through that decade again.

[youtube]77ZgZUp7bAE[/youtube]

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Sunder wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:

They've selected my thread with Steersman as "worth talking about". On the other hand they've also selected Creativity73 as a representative of the Pit.
Given that McDermott and Bewildered Ape have accounts there I suppose they're representatives of kiwifarms.
The evil that men do lives after them; the good is oft interred with their bones.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

rayshul wrote:
JackSkeptic wrote:
rayshul wrote:What I probably should have said now that I'm a little mellowed is...

Aneris are you okay?
Aneris often makes the claim women experience sexism regularly. I tend to ignore it as him having one of his moments:)
I haven't seen her mention it before, and okay if it's a regular thing... I'm just like it seems out of character, maybe something happened to her to upset her.
While you and Vicky may not have seen or been exposed to much if any of that, or be better prepared to deal with it, I don’t see that it is an unreasonable or untenable argument that such sexism is remarkably if not pernicously pervasive. Consider this from Ken White/Popehat:
This phenomenon — disproportionate anger at discussions of the topic of harassment — seems particularly pronounced when people discuss bad behavior within the wide spectrum of what I'll call "geek culture" — science fiction, computer gaming, pen-and-paper gaming. For some time I've talked about the thoroughly creepy undercurrents in that culture. I've observed them for decades. I remember going to gaming conventions as a teen in the early 1980s and seeing how some men, seemingly freed from manners by the context, openly leered and touched made comments that should have gotten them kicked in the nuts. I vividly remember a tournament pen-and-paper game (maybe Paranoia?) in which players' comments to the one woman got increasingly ugly until she pushed her chair away and left, leaving the remaining men to complain bitterly that she was a bitch with no sense of humor.1 When people discuss this sort of behavior on forums and blogs dedicated to the culture, the responses are salted with vicious and seemingly unbalanced anger, anger that I don't see in other contexts. ….
Maybe that “vicious and seemingly unbalanced anger” is the result of accusations of sexism and sexual thuggery cutting too close to the bone?

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Cnutella wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
Tigzy wrote:[.quote="Git"]https://kiwifar.ms/threads/slymepit-bre ... rds.18058/

The Pit has achieved apotheosis - there's now a dedicated Slymepit.com thread on the farms. But quick, don't let anyone know about the inner forums/back channel...[./quote]

[.quote]I am sure a lot of those usernames have significant online footprints[/.quote]

FT just accused another Pitter of toner-trolling. The back black channel arbitration council isn't going to like this.
:lol: But fixed "that" for you ....