The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
comhcinc

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by comhcinc »

Brive1987 wrote:Hmm. I heard grits are the perfect condiment for hushpuppies.
No white sauce goes on hushpuppies.

1 1/2 cups mayonnaise or better something like this
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoon coarsely ground pepper
Salt to taste

Can only be found in North Alabama. Great for bbq chicken as well.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

aaaannnnd my knowledge of edible southern delectables shambles to a halt.

Apart from a pouty Scarlett of course.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Brive1987 wrote:aaaannnnd my knowledge of edible southern delectables shambles to a halt.

My knowledge of Australian food is limited as well.

http://img.ifcdn.com/images/96daee298d5 ... 15e0_1.jpg

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I see PZ is horrified that Sam Harris chose, per a pre-agreement, to exercise his right not to provide Omer Aziz a platform on his podcast.

Instead he lectured trolled him for 4 hours and showed him the door.

Apart from being simple and naive, Omer shows a distinct lack of awareness of how a dissertation defense might work.

That’s when things got interesting, because it turned out that Harris did not want a traditional debate or even an open discussion. As he wrote in one email:

I’d like you to just read [your piece], line by line, and I’ll stop you at various points so that we can discuss specific issues.

This was a bizarre and rather creepy way to structure our conversation. Think of how awkward it would be to read your writing in front of a critic who had empowered himself to stop, critique, and rebuke you whenever he wanted, with thousands of people listening. Even the strongest piece of writing cannot withstand a line-by-line cross-examination because such an exercise puts the writer in the witness box and therefore on the permanent defensive. If Harris’s rules were followed, our discussion would be more like an undignified show-trial than a frank conversation. Is there a single journalist who has ever participated in, much less proposed, this sort of guerrilla attack?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

fuzzy wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:aaaannnnd my knowledge of edible southern delectables shambles to a halt.

She's a shrimp.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

My teenage shenanigans were funded by my job at Greenbrier Resturant a place known for amazingly well priced, decent tasting BBQ and giving away baskets of free hushpuppies. In fact going to the website I see they are now selling copies of their hushpuppy maker.

The recipe I just gave is what they use there. If you look online you will see extra ingredients. I don't know if that are restaurant owners adding things or food sites need to have more that 3 ingredients.

Anyway it's easy to make and works on a lot of stuff. Everyone enjoy.

welch

Post by welch »

jet_lagg wrote:
welch wrote: Luke went from only ever having flown the equivalent of piper cubs and hovercraft to being the best pilot in a three-dimensional ground attack keeping up with the best pilots in the rebellion and defeating the best pilots in the Empire save one.

Oh, and he's evidently a crack fucking shot in a combat situation. In spite of the fact he's never been in one. Don't forget the aerial gunnery expertise, in spite of the fact he's never been near that weapon ever.

Luke was mary su-ing from the get-go.
I don't want to get into this at length, since I get the impression the pit gets annoyed when we debate geeky film stuff (far preferring to flame over the relative merits of WWII tanks), but no, Luke didn't become the best pilot in the rebellion. He was part of a large team. He narrowly avoided getting blown out of the sky thanks to an assist from Solo who was an extraordinary pilot, and then he managed to land a shot of a difficulty level we're explicitly told he had made many times before, and even then (probably because it's stressful, under new circumstances, and we're trying to add some actual tension to the scene) only after tapping into an ability they'd been setting up through dialogue and visual storytelling the entire length of the movie.

This isn't me nitpicking over the inevitable nonsense that sneaks into any good story. We all know you need to fudge a little. That's why the drunken vietnam vet who's only flown cropdusters since the war steps into a modern jet in Independence Day and we just kind of say "yeah, why not." If he started dogfighting like Will Smith? People will get a little bit irked. And Rey went way beyond that. So far beyond it I wonder what the point of debating the matter is. If someone doesn't think she was as clear an example of a Mary Sue as James Bond? Nothing I can say is going to convince that person.
where, exactly, did Abrams actually say that.
I don't want to be a dick, dude, but I did say he "implicitly" stated it.
He made a shot SIMILAR to one he'd landed. With no one shooting at him and lasers that went straight, not a missle that has to do a 90-degree turn to hit right.

and if you want to go into "backstory that wasn't in the movie", Rey spent all her spare time flying sims of every ship she could find. So she was at *least* as experienced a pilot as Luke who, mind you, had never SEEN an X-wing before, much less flown one in combat. Oh, and had maybe 5 minutes of force training time before that shit was telling him how and when to shoot.

We'll leave off how someone who had most likely never seen a large body of water had zero issues being immersed in one (along with garbage) and fighting a large monster without drowning. and the complete lack of even hand to hand combat time, yet there he is on the death star, keeping up with an experienced mercenary. Rey at least got into what looked like fairly serious fights regularly.

You can spin all you like, but Luke was just as magical as Rey.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Luke's hair was better too.

He was dreamy.

http://cdn.idigitaltimes.com/sites/idig ... keruse.jpg

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Went surfing, and this blog's assessment of the T-34: it was a piece of crap:

http://chris-intel-corner.blogspot.com/ ... f-war.html

http://chris-intel-corner.blogspot.gr/2 ... oviet.html

Discuss.
Apparently a Sherman is not as bad as a T-34.

Mainly because, before they are killed by the Germans, the American crew is far more comfortable and far more likely to be reliably transported to the killing zone.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

MarcusAu, no, no Zevon influence. But thanks for liking my stuff, old as it is.

To clarify, I thought Zevon was brilliant; brilliant writer, brilliant musician, but I did not actually like his stuff very much -- one or two tunes, here or there: Night-time in the Switching Yard, and some sad and lonely lament from near the end of his life -- I cannot remember the name of it.

Poor old Warren was one of the worst alcoholics I've ever heard of. By "worst", I mean when he got fucked up, he got more fucked up than anyone I've ever heard of. I mean, shitting all over his living room and tossing it about; rubbing it on the walls, sleeping in his own puke, shit, and piss for days, drinking endless gallons of liquor non-stop for days and days, out-consuming anyone and everyone (except maybe Oliver Reed, but that's a whole other story). He was also fairly majorly OCD.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Brive1987 wrote:
fuzzy wrote:

She's a shrimp.
You prawn.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

John Greg wrote:MarcusAu, no, no Zevon influence. But thanks for liking my stuff, old as it is.

To clarify, I thought Zevon was brilliant; brilliant writer, brilliant musician, but I did not actually like his stuff very much -- one or two tunes, here or there: Night-time in the Switching Yard, and some sad and lonely lament from near the end of his life -- I cannot remember the name of it.

Poor old Warren was one of the worst alcoholics I've ever heard of. By "worst", I mean when he got fucked up, he got more fucked up than anyone I've ever heard of. I mean, shitting all over his living room and tossing it about; rubbing it on the walls, sleeping in his own puke, shit, and piss for days, drinking endless gallons of liquor non-stop for days and days, out-consuming anyone and everyone (except maybe Oliver Reed, but that's a whole other story). He was also fairly majorly OCD.
That did lead to one cool song, though:

[youtube]ULKmb3_P_N8[/youtube]

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

John Greg wrote:MarcusAu, no, no Zevon influence. But thanks for liking my stuff, old as it is.

Grandpa's pissed his pants again.

[youtube]WsJlqgoSC_Y[/youtube]

Mothra's Dentist

Post by Mothra's Dentist »

Aneris wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:John G,

Just listened to a couple of your tracks (from the link in your sig).

Very Cool.

Do I detect a Warren Zevon influence?

[.youtube]5MSfhdJxZ_U[/youtube]
Always nice that some people here are into Zevon (too)....

Zevon was one of America's best song writers, and I had the pleasure of seeing him concert on Halloween many years ago, when Jackson Browne joined him on stage and they howled at each other during Werewolves of London.
My favorite of his was written when he was still drinking heavily, and sums up the melancholy of the drinking life as well as any song out there: Desperadoes Under the Eaves
[youtube]6NFDgl8TnUE[/youtube]

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

KiwiInOz wrote:
You prawn.

Prawn of the patriarchy.

Just like you.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Brive1987 wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:
You prawn.

Prawn of the patriarchy.

Just like you.
Prawn of the Justice League.

[youtube]LGoPTOonpWE[/youtube]

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Baby we were prawn to run.

[youtube]oH1I5z44fuU[/youtube]

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Went surfing, and this blog's assessment of the T-34: it was a piece of crap:

http://chris-intel-corner.blogspot.com/ ... f-war.html

http://chris-intel-corner.blogspot.gr/2 ... oviet.html

Discuss.
T-34's were produced at the rate of 1300/month. The Germans did not make 1400 King Tigers in the whole war. It took more effort to built the turret of a King Tiger than to assemble the whole T34. The KT main engine bearings were a work of art, designed to last decades if properly maintained. All for a piece of equipment whose lifetime was measured in days on the front line. The Russians didn't bother to grind off the kerf marks on the T34 plates, it was good enough, onto the next tank. They largely curtailed production of their large tank because they got bogged down in the muck and were too large for most bridges built by peasants a hundred years ago which is about all you had in the vast eastern front. And by the end of the war tanks had the hell kicked out of them by aircraft, especially the ones the carried rockets like the Yak7 on the eastern front and the Typhoon on the western front. They could take out an entire column of tanks if the tanks were caught on a straight stretch of road.

My father fought in WWII. He said Hitler was the best ally the West had and German (over) engineering were the second best allies we had.
That being said, he thought the 88 cannon was the best piece of equipment made in the war.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

MacGruberKnows wrote: That being said, he thought the 88 cannon was the best piece of equipment made in the war.

The best piece of equipment was the humble jeep.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

comhcinc wrote:
MacGruberKnows wrote: That being said, he thought the 88 cannon was the best piece of equipment made in the war.

Bullshit. The P-38 can opener remains in production today.

We used to call them "tools, fucking ridiculous"

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

To be absolutely clear - I was making a comparison of musical styles and talent.

I'm sure in other respects you compare even more favourably. :)

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Brive1987 wrote:
comhcinc wrote:

Bullshit. The P-38 can opener remains in production today.

Does it?

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Apparently. http://www.bestglide.com/p38_p51_milita ... pener.html

Although I guess your digs now have MREs to deal with rather than C-rats.

And we used to call these heart breakers "smock psychological" because that was all the protection from rain that they offered.

http://i.imgur.com/wewPUiC.jpg

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Brive1987 wrote:Apparently. http://www.bestglide.com/p38_p51_milita ... pener.html

Although I guess your digs now have MREs to deal with rather than C-rats.
This is why we need Trump to make America Great Again......I guess.
Brive1987 wrote:And we used to call these heart breakers "smock psychological" because that was all the protection from rain that they offered.

http://i.imgur.com/wewPUiC.jpg
I would use that a proof that people hate me.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Gumby wrote:
Outed1TimeAsGrey! wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
Ghost busters..
I would list it under paranormal with say X-files or Casper, rather than sci-fi with Bladerunner or Paul.

Just indicating my surprise to learn how out of step I am with others who describe it as sci-fi.

Am I to be sent back to re-education camp?
Maybe we'll run into each other, because I agree with you here. It's a paranormal comedy, and the backpacks and containment system don't add up to enough to append the "science fiction" tag. IMO.
You dipshits are the reason Heinlein had a stroke.

Regurgitating the same-old rocket trajectories. Hanging your Lisa Simpson self-image on affiliating yerself with 'hard science fiction'.

Ghostbusters is harder than hard. It's gonzo. Psychedelic pharmaceutical fieldwork.

The truth is out there: Trump is Slymer. If you wanna quibble... don't bicker over the science part... ask whether Ghostbusters is Fiction. What more proof of necromancy do you need... than the new Ghostbusters trailer itself!

But that's not the point! Bats! Swine! Make a note of it. Nevermind.

Altered States Where the Buffalo Roam. Dr. John Lilly. hurumblegrum. Swindlers! Nature's heirloom hierarchy. And so on.
[youtube]25gSLDx_2m0[/youtube]

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Xenu

Post by Xenu »

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

One note on Ghostbusters - I don't think it was SJW inspired to do that casting. What probably got it done is that Bridesmaids uncovered the fact that you can make shitloads of fucking dosh on a mediocre comedy if it's all women - and they're really fucking cheap to make. Hire a bunch of B-list actresses, add a bit of sex appeal (naked men) and you will shit money. So imho they're trying to make insane amounts of money and this (a famous franchise) + an all female comedy cast = fucking bank.

I don't think anyone seems to really care when people go out looking for a black character or asian character for a non-established role and cast a white person instead. AFAIK Annie Edison of Community was meant to be asian - they just couldn't find a good asian actress. I don't know if that's normal or unusual.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

ffs wrote:Don't think I saw this posted

http://thefederalist.com/2016/03/07/wha ... gressives/

Strong article
Thanks - good read. (Only quibble was his appearing to paint all "liberals" w/ same brush)

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

windy wrote:Feminism is just the belief that women are people coupled with the belief that we need to unsettle dominant Western assumptions, narratives, and representations which tend to privilege the natural sciences and often emerge through the co-constituted processes of colonialism, patriarchy, and unequal power relations:

Glaciers, gender, and science: A feminist glaciology framework for global environmental change research (found at KiA)

<snip>
:nin: 'd a day or two ago

feathers

Post by feathers »

Shatterface wrote:I'm not that bothered about the Ghostbusters reboot, it's The Blues Sisters that has me worried.
Shaddup! Don't give anyone bad ideas!

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Well, hasn't there been a slow down in the SJ tempo since Dawkin's stroke which was announced Feb 10/11.

Seriously, has anything really happened in the last month?

blitzem

Post by blitzem »

feathers wrote:
Shatterface wrote:I'm not that bothered about the Ghostbusters reboot, it's The Blues Sisters that has me worried.
Shaddup! Don't give anyone bad ideas!
Too late:

http://i.imgur.com/lOybNvl.jpg

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Watson
http://skepchick.org/2016/01/necss-dump ... ate-tweet/

We hunt. the mammoth
http://www.wehuntedthemammoth.com/2016/ ... tefulness/

Friendly Atheist
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... witterfeed

Myers 1
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... rinciples/

Myers 2
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... /#comments

Nugent
http://www.michaelnugent.com/2016/01/29 ... ve-satire/

Szvan
http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... cfi-board/

……….

Novella Explains
http://theness.com/neurologicablog/inde ... ent-110953

PZ
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... tionalism/

Friendly Atheist
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... onference/

PZ

Dana Hunter
http://freethoughtblogs.com/entequilaes ... the-dregs/

Nugent 2
http://www.michaelnugent.com/2016/02/01 ... nt-2393138

Dawkins has a stroke

http://skepchick.org/2016/02/richard-da ... rs-stroke/

Dawkins discusses how stroke caused by attacks plus his reinvitation
https://richarddawkins.net/2016/02/an-u ... own-words/

……….

NECSS does another U turn

http://necss.org/2016/02/14/statement-f ... committee/

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... 2515702702

http://skepchick.org/2016/02/necss-thin ... after-all/

Dana Hunter goes tropo
http://archive.is/dJk95#selection-6231.0-6237.74

Szvan
http://archive.is/wTFRI

Benson mischaracterises Dawkins, he responds in comments as does she.
http://archive.is/atbsq

Benson has a followup itch and moan
http://www.butterfliesandwheels.org/201 ... f-america/

Benson targets Hermann Splitz
http://www.butterfliesandwheels.org/201 ... can-women/

A New Zealand blogger makes a reasoned defence
http://sciblogs.co.nz/open-parachute/20 ... ent-148882

And PZ comes in to spear it.
http://archive.is/NhUDZ

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

DaveDodo007 wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Benson reasserts the value of equality feminism.
Feminism isn’t the belief that women are magical god-like beings. It’s the belief that women are people coupled with the belief that people should have equal rights.
Burn witch.

http://archive.is/Dd0Ql
FFS, "It’s the belief that women are people" are they still pushing this bullcrap. It must be true because all the books written before anybody had even heard of feminism used to have 'people AND women' in them. :roll:

<snip>
It is the case that 'people' used to be used to mean 'men', at least in some places & situations. (Probably still the case in some places in the world, but I don't have details handy.) As a* historical example, the US Constitution opens with "We the people", which could be gender-neutral, but then it goes on to say in Article I that "The House of Representatives shall be composed of members chosen every second year by the people of the several states", in which "people" means "people who can vote", which was in fact not all "people" (not women, and not all men either).

I'm delighted to recognize & celebrate the people (including the suffragettes) who worked at various times in the past to expand the rights of those groups who weren't originally included. I'd welcome clarification regarding the specific areas in which women are currently demonstrably not considered to be people, and would be interested to hear how feminist-people plan to address those specific areas.

* "a historical" or "an historical" ? ;)

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Spoken, it depends on whether you silence the consonant - irrelevant for written word where a is technically correct.

"An 'elicoper" vs "a helicopter."

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I resented it when women became people. I resented it then, I really resent it now.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Luke obviously went through a hero's journey and has an obvious character arc (from naive and impatient to wise and considerate — there are probably better words, but you get the idea). Rey had practically no arc, for her flaws are only hinted at: she's maybe a tiny bit too individualistic and impatient, but it hardly comes through. She readily teams up with others and readily accepts authority. I guess, they just change her character over time, so when she's robe-wearing and not rushing in to do things on her own, with a line thrown in about asking for help, it's applauded as a great character arc. I remain unconvinced so far — good popcorn flick, but little more.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Brive1987 wrote:Spoken, it depends on whether you silence the consonant"
I mis-read that - it must be breakfast time

http://stickeramoi.com/7130-7851-thickb ... issant.jpg

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Something for the history file - here is David Brin (author of 'The Postman' and that piece justifying the Empires destruction of the terrorist base on Alderaan) - talking about addiction and self-righteous indignation (way back in 2005)

http://www.davidbrin.com/addiction.html

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Brive1987 wrote:Spoken, it depends on whether you silence the consonant - irrelevant for written word where a is technically correct.

I'd say "as an historical example", the subject being "example" while "historical" is the adjective. I'm probably entirely wrong, too.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Just to be sure, you'd better make it gender neutral. Xa historical.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Aneris wrote:Luke obviously went through a hero's journey and has an obvious character arc (from naive and impatient to wise and considerate — there are probably better words, but you get the idea). Rey had practically no arc, for her flaws are only hinted at: she's maybe a tiny bit too individualistic and impatient, but it hardly comes through. She readily teams up with others and readily accepts authority. I guess, they just change her character over time, so when she's robe-wearing and not rushing in to do things on her own, with a line thrown in about asking for help, it's applauded as a great character arc. I remain unconvinced so far — good popcorn flick, but little more.
The Mary Sue aspect of her character didn't really bother me all that much. I'm so jaded by bad Hollywood screenwriting. The one scene that I found just appalling was the "stop holding my hand" action sequence. That was such blatant and in-your-face social lecturing, I had to fight the urge to leave the theater. Luckily, there was nothing else quite that bad.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Since I fell asleep during the movie at the theater (more to try and avoid the pain from sitting down on those low chairs), I will wait for the DVD release and watch it in English, the French dubs being a huge part of why I hated it.

So I'll comment on it once I've seen it again in favorable conditions.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

welch wrote:
The logic behind it seems fairly obvious: nostalgia + socially aware + targeting the majority of the population = $$$

as others have said, real money was spent on this. It may flop, but anyone thinking there's a reason for this getting made other than $$$$$$$$ has no understanding of how the film industry thinks.
Yeah, I agree, although I think that in the case of the Ghostbusters remake the logic may have not been sound. The trailer, at least, was very bad. The humor fell forced, the jokes were stale. Perhaps the film is better, but if that's the overall quality I really think that it will flop.

In general, though, the logic behind most cash cows these days has been based on 70s-80s nostalgia with some added important female characters. Either that or superhero movies. So you can understand why they remade Ghostbusters.

I fully expect that other iconic movies from the eighties might be remade or get sequels/prequels anytime soon. Maybe Back to the Future will be next.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Spoken, it depends on whether you silence the consonant - irrelevant for written word where a is technically correct.

I'd say "as an historical example", the subject being "example" while "historical" is the adjective. I'm probably entirely wrong, too.
http://www.everythingenglishblog.com/?p=541

The actual rule governing the use of “a” versus “an” is related to the sound made by the first letter in the following word. More specifically, if the first letter of the following word makes a consonant sound, you should use “a;” in contrast, if the first letter of the following word is silent and/or makes a vowel sound, you should use “an.” This rule clearly still works for our previous examples, i.e., “a book” and “an elephant.” In addition, it also helps to clarify more difficult situations.
For example, let’s consider the word “hour.” It starts with an “h,” which is a consonant. However, the “h” in “hour” is silent; therefore, the first sound from this word is a vowel sound. Hence, a grammatically correct sentence would refer to “an hour,” not “a hour.” Yet, in other “h” words, the “h” or consonant sound is made, thereby requiring the use of “a.” Examples include “a history book” and “a hotdog.”
Also consider words starting with “u.” Some such words make a “y” or consonant sound (e.g., unicorn, unique, and ukulele); in such instances, you should use the article “a” (e.g., a unicorn, a unique store, and a ukulele). Others make a “u” vowel sound (e.g., umbrella, ugly, and uprising); in such instances, you should use the article “an” (e.g., an umbrella, an ugly dog, and an uprising).
Therefore, when you question whether you should use “a” or “an” in your writing endeavors, look at the word immediately following the article. Better yet, say the word aloud. If this word starts with a consonant sound, use “a.” If it starts with a vowel sound, use “an.”

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Service Dog wrote:
You dipshits are the reason Heinlein had a stroke.

Regurgitating the same-old rocket trajectories. Hanging your Lisa Simpson self-image on affiliating yerself with 'hard science fiction'.

Ghostbusters is harder than hard. It's gonzo. Psychedelic pharmaceutical fieldwork.

The truth is out there: Trump is Slymer. If you wanna quibble... don't bicker over the science part... ask whether Ghostbusters is Fiction. What more proof of necromancy do you need... than the new Ghostbusters trailer itself!

But that's not the point! Bats! Swine! Make a note of it. Nevermind.

Altered States Where the Buffalo Roam. Dr. John Lilly. hurumblegrum. Swindlers! Nature's heirloom hierarchy. And so on.
[.youtube]25gSLDx_2m0[/youtube]
I think Service Dog has been huffing Fang's body glitter spray again.

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/ori ... ttmug1.jpg

welch

Post by welch »

comhcinc wrote:Luke's hair was better too.

He was dreamy.

he did have amazing 70s hair.

welch

Post by welch »

Brive1987 wrote:
Only Carrier would spin the mundanity of self-employed taxes as proof of massive success.

welch

Post by welch »

Aneris wrote:Luke obviously went through a hero's journey and has an obvious character arc (from naive and impatient to wise and considerate — there are probably better words, but you get the idea). Rey had practically no arc, for her flaws are only hinted at: she's maybe a tiny bit too individualistic and impatient, but it hardly comes through. She readily teams up with others and readily accepts authority. I guess, they just change her character over time, so when she's robe-wearing and not rushing in to do things on her own, with a line thrown in about asking for help, it's applauded as a great character arc. I remain unconvinced so far — good popcorn flick, but little more.
Not in the first movie. By the end of the third, maybe, and both Han and Vader had better arcs. Luke was mostly a victim of circumstances until the third movie.

In the first, he's stuck on a planet. Then he's conned into going along with ben. Oops, that went sideways, but about all he does of any value is...what he's told. Oh, and he tells threepio to stop the trash mashers. Then hey, he's a magic gunner! Now, he's a magic combat pilot in completely unfamilar gear, but at no point in the first movie is he really in control of anything. He's along for the ride as much as anything else and he can't even take the shot on the death star by himself. That's the force/kenobi holding his dick there, with han providing cover.

Great popcorn flick, but the first one had all the depth of vapor haze in the desert.

welch

Post by welch »

Kirbmarc wrote:
welch wrote:
The logic behind it seems fairly obvious: nostalgia + socially aware + targeting the majority of the population = $$$

as others have said, real money was spent on this. It may flop, but anyone thinking there's a reason for this getting made other than $$$$$$$$ has no understanding of how the film industry thinks.
Yeah, I agree, although I think that in the case of the Ghostbusters remake the logic may have not been sound. The trailer, at least, was very bad. The humor fell forced, the jokes were stale. Perhaps the film is better, but if that's the overall quality I really think that it will flop.

In general, though, the logic behind most cash cows these days has been based on 70s-80s nostalgia with some added important female characters. Either that or superhero movies. So you can understand why they remade Ghostbusters.

I fully expect that other iconic movies from the eighties might be remade or get sequels/prequels anytime soon. Maybe Back to the Future will be next.
Arnie's in talks about Predator 4.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Brive1987 wrote:
And it's only the beginning of March.

May Dr. Richard Carrier PhD's cup overfloweth this year... with ramen noodles soaked in hot tap water.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I'm still waiting on Remo Unarmed and Dangerous II

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Brive1987 wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:

The actual rule governing the use of “a” versus “an” is related to the sound made by the first letter in the following word. More specifically, if the first letter of the following word makes a consonant sound, you should use “a;” in contrast, if the first letter of the following word is silent and/or makes a vowel sound, you should use “an.” This rule clearly still works for our previous examples, i.e., “a book” and “an elephant.” In addition, it also helps to clarify more difficult situations.
For example, let’s consider the word “hour.” It starts with an “h,” which is a consonant. However, the “h” in “hour” is silent; therefore, the first sound from this word is a vowel sound. Hence, a grammatically correct sentence would refer to “an hour,” not “a hour.” Yet, in other “h” words, the “h” or consonant sound is made, thereby requiring the use of “a.” Examples include “a history book” and “a hotdog.”
Also consider words starting with “u.” Some such words make a “y” or consonant sound (e.g., unicorn, unique, and ukulele); in such instances, you should use the article “a” (e.g., a unicorn, a unique store, and a ukulele). Others make a “u” vowel sound (e.g., umbrella, ugly, and uprising); in such instances, you should use the article “an” (e.g., an umbrella, an ugly dog, and an uprising).
Therefore, when you question whether you should use “a” or “an” in your writing endeavors, look at the word immediately following the article. Better yet, say the word aloud. If this word starts with a consonant sound, use “a.” If it starts with a vowel sound, use “an.”
The phenomenon of inserting a consonant (in this case "n") between two vowels (the "a" and the subsequent vowel sound) is called excrescence, and it's a variation of the epenthesis, the insertion of a sound in a word.

You may think of "a" and the following word as two different words, and this is true semantically (i.e. their meaning is separate) but not phonetically (i.e. they're pronounced as a single word). Inserting the "n" between "a" and a vowel sound is useful to avoid hiatus,the presence of two vowel sounds in two consecutive syllables.

The "silent" h is a grapheme (i.e. a written letter) with no phonetic content (i.e. no sound). The "n" is inserted to avoid the hiatus between the "a" and the vowel(s) after the "silent" h.

In the case "u" we have two different sounds represented by the same letter. The "consonant" sound is /ju/ (as in university, pronounced /ˌjuːnɪˈv3ːsɪtɪ/) while the vowel is /ʌ/ (as in ugly, pronounced /ˈʌglɪ/.

[/ʌ/ is an open-mid back unrounded vowel, which means that it's prounced with the tip tongue in the middle of the palate (open-mid) with the tongue positioned as far back as possible without turning it into a consonant sound (back) and with flat, not rounded lips (unrounded).]

Now you know. And knowing is half the battle. GI Joe!

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Brive1987 wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:

I think it's supposed to be 'an hotel' but that sounds ghastly.

Sometimes the first consonant shifts from the noun to the article, ie 'a norange' became 'an orange'.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

welch wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
welch wrote:

Arnie's in talks about Predator 4.
They should make it it about an aging Predator who faces the old Arnie of these days.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

comhcinc wrote:Luke's hair was better too.

He was dreamy.

Mark Hammil was in Zoolander?

feathers

Post by feathers »

Scarlett is not from the South, she's from NY. I don't know her to be exceptionally pouty, but delectable, indeed.

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

Shatterface wrote:
Brive1987 wrote: http://www.everythingenglishblog.com/?p=541

I think it's supposed to be 'an hotel' but that sounds ghastly.

Sometimes the first consonant shifts from the noun to the article, ie 'a norange' became 'an orange'.
And if it's all too much, there's always an hero.