The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
Brive1987

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by Brive1987 »

Jesus but there are some crazy people out there.

:)

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Brive1987 wrote:Jesus but there are some crazy people out there.

[.tweet][/tweet]
Amazing how obsessed some people can get, innit? :whistle:

Wild Zontargs

Post by Wild Zontargs »

I've gotten back into derping around with shortwave radio, which led me to the weirdness that is rebroadcasts of Coast to Coast AM, Info Wars, and other colorfully-insane programming.

The thing that's weirding me out is this: they're all over topics like SJWs, internet privacy, the loony left, and other shit that fills up the Pit. Are these cases of "broken clocks are right twice a day", or have the conspiracy theorists actually been somewhat correct about this? Is it just that the right-wing conspiracy theorists are more amenable to this sort of topic, or has the general population actually shoved this sort of thing so far out of "acceptable conversation" that only the nutters (us included?) will talk about it?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Gumby wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Jesus but there are some crazy people out there.

[.tweet][/tweet]
Amazing how obsessed some people can get, innit? :whistle:
That's the joke. :lol:

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Really? wrote: It is all about perception. If you tell people you live in the shitty part of town, make no money, want prostitutes but refuse to pay and only want girlfriends who won't burden you with girlfriend shit but will fuck you when it is convenient, well...you sound like a weirdo.
You sure about that? I was given to understand that that was MRA behavior ... so Carrier is a MRA? Who knew? :o :o :o

(Note for the humor impaired ... )

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Brive1987 wrote: That's the joke. :lol:
Well of course, silly man.

http://media4.onsugar.com/files/2014/01 ... xlarge.jpg

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

Eskarina wrote:
Tigzy wrote: So Jenny's gone from generating rumours to growing tumors. Oh well.

Forgive my heartlessness. But it is only a basal cell carcinoma.
Can basal cell carcinomas be cured?

Yes, basal cell carcinomas can be cured in almost every case, although treatment becomes complicated if they have been neglected for a very long time, or if they are in an awkward place - such as near the eye, nose or ear. Seldom, if ever, do they spread to other parts of the body.
http://www.britishskinfoundation.org.uk ... inoma.aspx

Anyways, here's Jennay using it to get some digs in at Thunderfoot:

[youtube]PE_r5e-wF4s[/youtube]

Girl is sick, but probably not in the way she thinks.
Sickening to watch. I'm vaguely sorry for her, because I would wish this only on very few people, but there seems to be no redeeming quality in her personality. A narcissist to the very core.
Finally, I can beg on Patreon for some cash!

I had Mohs surgery last year for the same thing. Two different locations; near my left nostril and my upper right forehead near the hairline.
The nostril site was the worst and they had to skin graft from behind my left ear to repair the loss of tissue. Not something I'd wish on anyone, but not anywhere near as devastating as actual cancer of vital tissue or organs. She'll be fine and will probably only miss a day or two of work, if she gets another job.

For those interested, you can GIS "Mohs surgery" and see pics. Or you can ask and I'll post before and after pics from mine.

Now, how do I turn this into a money-making enterprise?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Gumby wrote:
Brive1987 wrote: That's the joke. :lol:
Well of course, silly man.

http://media4.onsugar.com/files/2014/01 ... xlarge.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Yyp0cju.jpg

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

George RR Martin denies being dead after George Martin dies

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/m ... of-thrones

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

And I'd been cracking jokes about how now we'd never learn how Game of Thrones[/b[ ends...

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

As seen on Twatter:
The United States Revokes Scientology’s Tax-Exempt Status
In a unanimous decision by the Supreme Court today, the eight justices ruled in favor of revoking the Church of Scientology’s tax-exempt status in the United States. Under the ruling, Scientology will still be able to operate as a business but no longer as a non-profit religious organization.

The case was brought forward by the Internal Revenue Service Criminal Investigation Division after concluding a two-year-long investigation into the inner workings of Scientology. The investigation, along with an extensive audit, found the group to be a “criminal operation with a sole purpose of making money”. The eight justices agreed with the IRS and its findings that Scientology was neither a religion or fell under the guidelines of a non-profit charitable organization.
Read the article ShitLords.

Wild Zontargs

Post by Wild Zontargs »

AndrewV69 wrote:As seen on Twatter:

You've been trolled. abcnews.com.co is not ABC News, but rather a second domain for News Examiner, which is a fake news site:
Paul Horner, the prolific writer and ubiquitous satirical character (he inserts his name into all his articles) whose work previously appeared on the National Report fake news site, has since started the News Examiner. The News Examiner skirts Facebook’s crackdown on fake news sites by mixing real news and listicle items in with its fake news reports, but the site neither identifies its fake news items as “satire” nor carries a disclaimer to that effect.

Fake stories from the News Examiner that have circulated widely enough as real news to prompt numerous inquiries from our readers include articles about the world’s first successful head transplant and President Obama’s limiting churches to offering twice-monthly services.
And yep, there's the signature Paul Horner cameo in the article:
Paul Horner, a spokesperson for Scientology, told ABC News the ruling is “discrimination based on religious beliefs”.

“In a free country, such as ours, it amazes me that over ten million Scientologists can have their beliefs trampled on like this,” Horner said.

Wild Zontargs

Post by Wild Zontargs »

Also, tweet's gone. Guess someone clued her in.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Andrew,

That is good news! :clap:

Lord xenu works in mysterious ways...

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Wild Zontargs wrote:

You've been trolled. abcnews.com.co is not ABC News, but rather a second domain for News Examiner, which is a fake news site:
Paul Horner, the prolific writer and ubiquitous satirical character (he inserts his name into all his articles) whose work previously appeared on the National Report fake news site, has since started the News Examiner. The News Examiner skirts Facebook’s crackdown on fake news sites by mixing real news and listicle items in with its fake news reports, but the site neither identifies its fake news items as “satire” nor carries a disclaimer to that effect.

Fake stories from the News Examiner that have circulated widely enough as real news to prompt numerous inquiries from our readers include articles about the world’s first successful head transplant and President Obama’s limiting churches to offering twice-monthly services.
Paul Horner, a spokesperson for Scientology, told ABC News the ruling is “discrimination based on religious beliefs”.

“In a free country, such as ours, it amazes me that over ten million Scientologists can have their beliefs trampled on like this,” Horner said.

Boo! That sucks!
Damn you Lord Xenu!!!!

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Oh BTW:

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Spike13 wrote:
Wild Zontargs wrote:

Boo! That sucks!
Damn you Lord Xenu!!!!

I was :nin: Oh! :bjarte: :bjarte: :bjarte:

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

katamari Damassi wrote:
ERV wrote:
comhcinc wrote:[youtube]h8Lt02D6xno[/youtube]

Oh look this is much better :twatson:
I'm going to love this movie.

I'm not joking. I love stupid movies. I've seen 'Spy' like a dozen times. And laughed really hard every time.
BANNED!

Thank you! It's always good to ban SJW trolls like this "Abbie" person from the Slymepit!

:rimshot: :whistle:

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

[youtube]DMw6u2OV174[/youtube]

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Brive1987 wrote:First new bog appears. But leads nowhere. Well done sirs.

http://i.imgur.com/8kqOmf3.jpg

Please be Nerd.
Tony is excited over at the shoopsroost:
Tony! says:
March 11, 2016 at 2:00 PM
Incidentally, those changes I spoke of a while back? We’re getting closer to the point when I can announce them. I really think people are going to be thrilled.
https://web.archive.org/web/20160312004 ... nt-page-1/

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

AndrewV69 wrote:Oh BTW:

What the hell's a 'true faith'?

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Shatterface wrote:

A faith of the heart.

[youtube]-8OpsPok6iQ[/youtube]

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

D W Adams wrote:
Now, how do I turn this into a money-making enterprise?
The tried and true way- send a friend a bunch of money and tell them to donate it back, or convince Bjarte that you are a feminist that bad people are saying mean things about.

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Tigzy wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote: Keep in mind that The Hobbit (and to some extent, LoTR) were bedtime stories meant for Tolkien's kids.
'...and what say thee, Theoden King -'

Come on you little bastard, fall asleep

'-er - Theoden King son of Theodric - uh'

Oh, long blink there - right you little shit, let's see you be awake after this -

'- Theodric of the, uh, Rohirrim. Yes, Rohirrim. Cousin of Eomer, protector of Rohan, weilder of the, erm, Sword of Arngoth, Horse Lord of the Hills bounded by Mirkwood, Steward of the Vales blah blah blah...'

My God, Tigzy, I think you are ON to something! :clap: :clap:

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

comhcinc wrote:
Shatterface wrote:

A faith of the heart.

[youtube]-8OpsPok6iQ[/youtube]

Wish we had a 'puke' symbol :(
And the ironic thing is that Twitter Based "Social Justice" isn't the best thing to keep the family all together either.
Remember, quite a few of these assholes brag about how they cut a family member off for problematic thought, or even language.

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

I think Trump pretty much has to do that for self defense.

These people want an incident.

They came close recently when ONE (out of thousands) of the Trump attendees actually sucker punched a protester as the cops were pulling him out. The guy was charged by the cops - but why, if you are Trump, take a chance of more of that?

I'd talk about how some of the protesters have been anything but polite or peaceful themselves, but it wouldn't matter. The optics are all on their side and Trump knows that.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Bjarte is a game developer?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

So Trump has cancelled the Chicago rally? Wow.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Brive1987 wrote:So Trump has cancelled the Chicago rally? Wow.
At least he recognizes that there could be a problem and has shown enough concern to cancel it.

I wonder if any of the other candidates would do the same.

SkepticalCat

Post by SkepticalCat »

Clarence wrote: Wish we had a 'puke' symbol :(
:puke-front: :puke-huge: :puke-left: :puke-right: :occasion-partyblower: :sleeping-drool:

I may have a missed a few

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

The protesters must be very proud of themselves for shutting down free speech of people they disagree with and interfering with the democratic process.

That said, Trump can use this to his advantage by pointing out these very things.

Whatever one thinks of Trump, these people are the same kind of sjw crybully assholes as the ones who protest on college campuses all the time. They can't stand to see anyone they disagree with be allowed to have a say or have their voices heard.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Spike13 wrote:
At least he recognizes that there could be a problem and has shown enough concern to cancel it.

I wonder if any of the other candidates would do the same.
I'm thinking this could spin into a significant tone escalation and you are not even out of the primaries.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Insert Mykeru image of woman throwing up.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Keating wrote:Insert Mykeru image of woman throwing up.

I miss Mykeru's big book of reap.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

What gets me is the anti-Trumpers on twitter claiming they've shut Trump up.

Do they realise how much publicity the fucker's gonna get out of this? They've pretty much handed him a megaphone.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Tigzy wrote:What gets me is the anti-Trumpers on twitter claiming they've shut Trump up.

Do they realise how much publicity the fucker's gonna get out of this? They've pretty much handed him a megaphone.
Absolutely. He must be rubbing his hands in glee at this. Pretty much everyone who supports him will be right behind him when he cries foul on the PC/crybully/fascist fuckers who did this. So, so stupid on their part...

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

This bit of google cache seems to indicate that 'new frontiers' is to be a group blog for 'new bloggers'

http://i.imgur.com/yGVOa2Q.png

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Lsuoma wrote:Absolutely. He must be rubbing his tiny little hands in glee at this.
FTFY

windy

Post by windy »

feathers wrote:
windy wrote:Maybe the Atheism+ forums didn't die, after all. They just assumed human form :shock:

http://www.groundup.org.za/article/rhod ... t-protest/
The Rhodes Must Fall Exhibition, “Echoing Voices from Within” was disrupted yesterday by members of the University of Cape Town's Trans Collective, a student led organisation that prioritises the rights of transgender, gender non-conforming and intersex students at the University of Cape Town.
Students smeared photographs with red paint and blocked the entrances to the Centre for African Studies Gallery with their painted naked bodies. The exhibition was shut down.
They must be arrested, made to pay damages and properly fined/jailed.

/Mr. It-should-be-obvious-but-somehow-i-think-theyll-get-away-with-it
The funny part is that the exhibit was already pandering to activists who make a habit of attacking works of art (RhodesMustFall). The university shouldn't really be surprised if another group thinks they can get away with doing the same thing to them.

The Yeti

Post by The Yeti »

Brive1987 wrote:U.S. soldiers lectured on the dangers of 'white privilege'

Yes yes I know.
The Pentagon's response to that was to say that that particular EEO presentation was not authorized disapproved and should not have been given. So it seems that the US Army hasn't reached peak stupidity.., yet.

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

Yes yes I know.
FFS, yanks vote Trump or become the new Sweden/Germany/Iceland/Canada. I swear liberalism is a mental disorder.

:hankey:

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Lsuoma wrote:
Tigzy wrote:What gets me is the anti-Trumpers on twitter claiming they've shut Trump up.

Absolutely. He must be rubbing his hands in glee at this. Pretty much everyone who supports him will be right behind him when he cries foul on the PC/crybully/fascist fuckers who did this. So, so stupid on their part...
If Twitter is anything to go by, it seems to be rallying some wavering or undecided Republicans into backing Trump. I don't place too much stock in what goes on with Twitter, but I'm damn curious as to what his numbers are gonna be like after this.

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

comhcinc wrote:[youtube]DMw6u2OV174[/youtube]
If you disable the comments then they are fucktards what ever cause they are supporting.

The Yeti

Post by The Yeti »

I saw this amusing comment on Carrier's blog post where he prattles on about how great polyamorous families are. One of Sticky Dicky's fans recommends a blog and describes the blogger as a happy, successful , atheist, polyamorous, mom. The blog being reccommended is..... Elyseanders.com. :shock:

http://i.imgur.com/SJ8guV3.jpg

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

The Yeti wrote:I saw this amusing comment on Carrier's blog post where he prattles on about how great polyamorous families are. One of Sticky Dicky's fans recommends a blog and describes the blogger as a happy, successful , atheist, polyamorous, mom. The blog being reccommended is..... Elyseanders.com. :shock:

http://i.imgur.com/XdZfO2a.jpg

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Tigzy wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:

If Twitter is anything to go by, it seems to be rallying some wavering or undecided Republicans into backing Trump. I don't place too much stock in what goes on with Twitter, but I'm damn curious as to what his numbers are gonna be like after this.
Yep, and I called it a week or so ago about the candidates doing a Christie once they drop out.

The Yeti

Post by The Yeti »

HunnyBunny wrote:
The Yeti wrote:I saw this amusing comment on Carrier's blog post where he prattles on about how great polyamorous families are. One of Sticky Dicky's fans recommends a blog and describes the blogger as a happy, successful , atheist, polyamorous, mom. The blog being reccommended is..... Elyseanders.com. :shock:

http://i.imgur.com/XdZfO2a.jpg
Yes, it sure seems that every last one of the Tri Lambdas is a can of carrier's blog :lol:

BoxNDox

Post by BoxNDox »

Mr. X, Indeed wrote: I'd forgotten Abscam. All that grainy surveillance footage of bribery on the news. Good times.
In that regard, Abscam was a blip compared to OKSCAM, the "the largest and most systematic case of public corruption in American history". Hundreds of hours of crap audio and video, sections of which were played regularly on the Oklahoma evening news.

Good times indeed.

http://www.okhistory.org/publications/e ... ntry=GO018

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

What the actual fuck, your brain on lefty/liberalism.

Jakob Augstein wrote:Some German commentators are downplaying or rationalizing the growing sexual violence against women and children. According to Jakob Augstein, an influential columnist for the newsmagazine Der Spiegel, Germans worried about migrant crimes are presumably motivated by deep-seated racism.

Shortly after the attacks in Cologne on New Year's Eve, Augstein ridiculed the idea that Muslim migrants were targeting German women. On his Facebook page, he wrote:

"We are so racist. Everyone immediately wanted to believe that 1,000 North Africans were committing mischief. One thousand: this is a fairy tale figure. Just like the three golden hairs of the devil. Or the seven dwarfs. Or the thirteenth fairy.

"One thousand Tunisians who attacked 'our' women. That is just what we needed. The foreigner and his menacing sexuality — this is the oldest prejudice of racism."

Now Augstein says the sexual assaults committed by migrants are a form of social rebellion.

Writing on his Facebook page on February 23, Augstein argued that the true victims in all of this are the migrants, because of their low rank in Germany's social hierarchy. He wrote:

"The victims of Cologne were inferior to their perpetrators only in the immediate moment of the attacks. Those women were powerless and helpless at the moment they were assaulted and robbed. But before the attacks and after, they were and are superior to their attackers.

"For the victims of Clausnitz [on February 18, an anti-migrant mob tried to block the arrival of 20 asylum seekers into the town] it is different: they were inferior to their attackers before, during and after the incidents. They are always inferior.

"The lawbreaking in Cologne brought a brief rupture in the established hierarchy, a reversal of the true balance of power. The reason is that in this moment, the relationship between victim and perpetrator was reduced to physical strength. In all other respects, the victims of Cologne are superior to their perpetrators: language, nationality, education, social status, wealth, legal certainty, self-confidence. ...

"In Clausnitz, the strong subdued the weak. This makes the attack in Clausnitz so repugnant. And — if you really want to draw such comparisons — this gives the attack on Clausnitz a different moral quality than the attack on Cologne."

Augstein, whose opinions have not been seriously challenged by the mainstream media, sheds light on the upside-down worldview of German multiculturalism: Migrants who assault German women and children are simply rebelling against German power structures. Germans who dare to criticize such assaults are racists.

http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/7557/ ... nts-crisis

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

TW: Many words, no gifs, only 1 image, and evidence of spoons; you may want to scroll past.

I. Requirements for tax-emption under 501(c)(3) in US
II. Secular Woman’s organizational purpose, mission, & vision; a new take on the meaning of "exclusively"
III. Secular Woman supports several specific individuals
_____A. Direct financial support on Patreon
__________i. RW
__________ii. Miri
__________iii. SZ
__________iv. AFM
__________v. ADR
_____B. Indirect support by promotion of businesses and services, including the small business of one individual they also support on Patreon (ADR)

I. The basic guidelines for tax-exempt non-profits in the US are here and here. From the first link (emphasis added):
To be tax-exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, an organization must be organized and operated exclusively for exempt purposes set forth in section 501(c)(3), and none of its earnings may inure to any private shareholder or individual. …
The word “inure” there links here (emphasis added):
A section 501(c)(3) organization must not be organized or operated for the benefit of private interests, such as the creator or the creator's family, shareholders of the organization, other designated individuals, or persons controlled directly or indirectly by such private interests. No part of the net earnings of a section 501(c)(3) organization may inure to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual. A private shareholder or individual is a person having a personal and private interest in the activities of the organization.
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is apparently most concerned that tax-exempt organizations not support political candidates, not focus a substantial portion of their operations on influencing legislation, and not be a front for the people running the organization to be lining their own pockets.

It's unclear whether the IRS would be concerned about a few specific people repeatedly being recipients of some portion of the financial expenditures by a tax-exempt nonprofit, outside of employment, and whether such individuals might be considered to have "a personal and private interest in the activities of the organization" especially if that portion were not substantial (whatever that means).

From the 2nd link above (emphasis as in the original):
The exempt purposes set forth in section 501(c)(3) are charitable, religious, educational, scientific, literary, testing for public safety, fostering national or international amateur sports competition, and preventing cruelty to children or animals. The term charitable is used in its generally accepted legal sense and includes relief of the poor, the distressed, or the underprivileged; advancement of religion; advancement of education or science; erecting or maintaining public buildings, monuments, or works; lessening the burdens of government; lessening neighborhood tensions; eliminating prejudice and discrimination; defending human and civil rights secured by law; and combating community deterioration and juvenile delinquency.
II. Secular Woman is a nonprofit with incorporated in Georgia state; its business filings with the state include this Amendment passed by its Board of Directors on July 25,2012 (emphasis added):
Purpose: Secular Woman is organized exclusively for educational and charitable purposes under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, or corresponding section of any future federal tax code.
Note the word “exclusively” - as required to become a 501(c)(3), which status Secular Woman sought from & was granted by the IRS.

As posted many places online by Secular Woman, including on SW’s Patreon donor page:
The mission of Secular Woman is to amplify the voice, presence, and influence of non-religious women.
Often, including on that Patreon page, their vision statement also appears:
Secular Woman envisions a future in which women without supernatural beliefs have the opportunities and resources they need to participate openly and confidently as respected voices of leadership in the secular community and every aspect of society.
SW’s Facebook “About” page (archived here) subtly rewords the mission statement, see if you can spot the difference (emphasis added here):
Short description: Secular Woman is a national organization focused exclusively on amplifying the voice, presence, and influence of non-religious women.
So SW has managed to organize itself "exclusively (sic) for educational and charitable purposes under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code" and also to be "focused exclusively (sic) on amplifying the voice, presence, and influence of non-religious women", which some people might consider "activism" - not a bad thing at all, except that it's not clear they mean all "non-religious women", and more to the point it's not obvious that this is an "educational and charitable purpose."

III. Secular Woman may be supporting educational and charitable work, but they also appear to be providing “resources” ($) and otherwise supporting several specific individuals whose "voice, presence, (or) influence" they'd like to promote.

_____A. Secular Woman gives money through Patreon to Rebecca Watson, Amy Davis Roth, Miri, Zinnia Jones, Stephanie Zvan, Ashley F Miller, and Science for the People; AFAICT support of the latter seems most clearly to meet the educational charge for a tax-exempt nonprofit.

__________i. RW: At the time RW announced publicly that she was on Patreon & seeking funders, Secular Woman was already one of her patrons there - somehow they'd already heard about it. Secular Woman has constantly appeared in the “Top Patrons” grid on RW’s Patreon page, meaning constantly in the top 20 (by amount pledged, it seems) – currently that means they’re in the top 20/392 = top 5% of RW’s funders. Patreon seems to be a primary source of income for RW. In fact, Secular Woman may be in the top 9 (= top 2%) of RW’s funders, from here on Patreon:

http://i.imgur.com/XfP2vIi.png?1
However, Secular Woman is not among the seven $20+ supporters thanked at the end of RW's last video (on "T. Gondii" aka T. gondii), but then only 1 of those named at the end is among the 9 whose avatars are in the photo above, and maybe some of the $20+ supporters asked not to be thanked publicly, and who knows whether those 9 avatars really are the top donors, so - hard to make any solid conclusions, other than Secular Woman having supported RW continuously on Patreon for about 2 years.

__________ii. Miri: Secular Woman is among the top 20 of Miri’s current 48 funders on Patreon. Miri’s Patreon product is blog posts and other writing. Miri supports, among others, SZ & AFM on Patreon.

__________iii. SZ: Secular Woman is among SZ’s 17 supporters. SZ’s Patreon product is essays which are visible to Patrons only. SZ has had close ties to Secular Woman, including through the Secular Women Work conference last year (of which Secular Woman was a sponsor).

__________iv. AFM: AFM’s Patreon page says more clearly than the others that she needs the funds and that her Patreon product is whatever strikes her fancy; I suppose one could make a case that writing a novel, playing ukelele, and giving makeup tutorials are educational & thus part of Secular Woman's organizational purpose but it seems like a stretch. From her Patreon page (italics carried over from original; bolding on that page wasn't carried over):
My close followers will know that this week I found out I was laid off and <snip> I’m facing large medical bills, both from the diagnoses and for the treatment, and I now will no longer have an employer to cover my insurance costs… or my mortgage for that matter.

This isn’t a pity party, but my ability to write stuff for little to no income has been undermined by my new diagnosis and new lack of a job. And I’ve got so many great projects planned!

What great projects are planned?

>My research on Honey Boo Boo and Tumblr is nearly complete (Redneckaissance: Honey Boo Boo, Tumblr, and the Stereotype of Poor White Trash)

>I want to write a book about how to survive online harassment (So Your Vagina is Destroying America: Surviving Online Harassment with Friends, Humor, and No Dignity Whatsoever)

>I’ve been working on a YA, Terry Pratchettesque Novel (Enchanted Forest, INC)

>A book on narcolepsy, because there are so few

>Uke songs to record by David Bowie, Elton John, Coldplay, Monty Python, and Tim Minchin

>More paintings in my series about gender presentation and power

>Makeup tutorials

>And dozens of other ideas, big and small.

Even a little bit of money makes all of these projects much more feasible. I currently make almost nothing from what I do online. My content has gotten over 1.5 million views and hits, but I'm not making much money from it.
AFM is supporting Miri, RW, ADR, and Science for the People on Patreon.

__________v. Finally, ADR: Her income is from her art, primarily through her business Surlyramics but also more recently through Patreon.

She indicates on Patreon that she would like support so that she has time to work on art that's educational - but, see below, it's also clear that selling that art is part of the plan.

And who can blame her? But it does then seem to stretch the IRS's intent that a tax-exempt nonprofit, as part of their "operational purpose", would directly support a businessperson in crafting new products to sell.

ADR's Patreon page doesn’t give information on who her 89 supporters are, but Secualr Woman, AFM, Miri, and RW are among them, and (from her page) ADR in turn supports RW & AFM on Patreon.

ADR’s Patreon page says (in part; emphasis added):
My Surly jewelry line is inspired by science, nature, critical thinking and social activism. It has been a very successful project that I am extremely proud of. <snip>

I love making art. It's something I have been doing for over 20 years. But fine art isn't something that can pay the bills and so it often gets pushed to back burner while I do other jobs to get by. But I want to change that. I want to be able to have the time to create ceramic work and paintings that are educational and beautiful. With just a little bit of help from you, I can do that!

<snip> My goal is to create art that is educational, inspirational and beautiful. <snip>

EDIT 7/26/2015: As of right now, none of the actual paintings are for sale. My goal is to create enough work to eventually have a gallery show or to obtain gallery representation. I will however, create prints of most of the pieces and they can be purchased in my Etsy shop. If you have any questions about the actual paintings or ceramic art pieces feel free to contact me here or through my website.

EDIT 9/30/15: I have now added science and nature inspired drawings to my Patreon project. At least once a month I will draw and post a pen and ink design and my Patrons can download a high rez version to print at home. You can also purchase them on 11x17 poster paper in my Etsy shop but my patrons, at any level, can print them at home for free! These are fun to color and/or frame. You can look at my creator posts for examples.
The latest Patreon-funded productions posted at her page are drawings of “Wine Bot”, “Fruit Salad Tree”, and “Beer Bot”. Regardless of how anyone feels about the artist, the art, peer review, or Patreon, it just isn't all that clear how a tax-exempt nonprofit paying an artist to create then sell art (with proceeds being her own income) fits with what the IRS had in mind.

_____B. Secular Woman, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, has promoted businesses and products by some women, including ADR. Their website has a page [url=http://archive.is/tF2LO]Products & Services] that says (in part):
Let’s support each other. Below you will find products and services by secular women. Submit yours here.
"You scratch our back, we'll scratch yours. Below you will find the list we curate of things you can purchase from specific individuals we want to support." There's nothing wrong with this...except possibly doing it under the auspices of a tax-exempt nonprofit, particularly if someone whose stuff they promote is also a donor to the nonprofit, in which case it could appear that they're getting advertising as a benefit for their donation

Secular Woman used to have lists on Twitter of tweeps whose products they were supporting, which heavily featured ADR’s tweets about items for sale at her Etsy store. (I haven’t logged out to get past their block to see if they still have those lists.)

And on their Facebook “About” page linked way above, this 501(c)(3) nonprofit announces (emphasis added):
We are a non-profit educational membership organization founded in June 2012. Programs: We promote secular women's products and services.
My 2 cents.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

That was more like a buck twenty five.

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

The Yeti wrote:

Yes yes I know.
The Pentagon's response to that was to say that that particular EEO presentation was not authorized disapproved and should not have been given. So it seems that the US Army hasn't reached peak stupidity.., yet.
They got called on it so they are backtracking, in future they will try to cover it better.

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

DaveDodo007 wrote:What the actual fuck, your brain on lefty/liberalism.

Jakob Augstein wrote:Some German commentators are downplaying or rationalizing the growing sexual violence against women and children. According to Jakob Augstein, an influential columnist for the newsmagazine Der Spiegel, Germans worried about migrant crimes are presumably motivated by deep-seated racism.

Shortly after the attacks in Cologne on New Year's Eve, Augstein ridiculed the idea that Muslim migrants were targeting German women. On his Facebook page, he wrote:

"We are so racist. Everyone immediately wanted to believe that 1,000 North Africans were committing mischief. One thousand: this is a fairy tale figure. Just like the three golden hairs of the devil. Or the seven dwarfs. Or the thirteenth fairy.

"One thousand Tunisians who attacked 'our' women. That is just what we needed. The foreigner and his menacing sexuality — this is the oldest prejudice of racism."

Now Augstein says the sexual assaults committed by migrants are a form of social rebellion.

Writing on his Facebook page on February 23, Augstein argued that the true victims in all of this are the migrants, because of their low rank in Germany's social hierarchy. He wrote:

"The victims of Cologne were inferior to their perpetrators only in the immediate moment of the attacks. Those women were powerless and helpless at the moment they were assaulted and robbed. But before the attacks and after, they were and are superior to their attackers.

"For the victims of Clausnitz [on February 18, an anti-migrant mob tried to block the arrival of 20 asylum seekers into the town] it is different: they were inferior to their attackers before, during and after the incidents. They are always inferior.

"The lawbreaking in Cologne brought a brief rupture in the established hierarchy, a reversal of the true balance of power. The reason is that in this moment, the relationship between victim and perpetrator was reduced to physical strength. In all other respects, the victims of Cologne are superior to their perpetrators: language, nationality, education, social status, wealth, legal certainty, self-confidence. ...

"In Clausnitz, the strong subdued the weak. This makes the attack in Clausnitz so repugnant. And — if you really want to draw such comparisons — this gives the attack on Clausnitz a different moral quality than the attack on Cologne."

Augstein, whose opinions have not been seriously challenged by the mainstream media, sheds light on the upside-down worldview of German multiculturalism: Migrants who assault German women and children are simply rebelling against German power structures. Germans who dare to criticize such assaults are racists.

http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/7557/ ... nts-crisis
I don't think a conservative think tank is in any position to report and comment fairly on the situation over here.

Having said that, Jakob Augstein - having more unresolved issues than the major SJWs combined - should stop trying to portrait himself as Germany's moral authority. If I ever came across a "Gutmensch", he is the one.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Following up on my whinging about "exclusively" being used to mean "not actually exclusively", I'd like to point out that 5 members here have a "Best [sic] Post Evah!" badge.

I would like to request that mine be rescinded. Even ignoring the challenge of trying to process the existence of multiple instances of the same superlative, I feel my post was simply a timely pun that doesn't qualify as one of the best.

Furthermore I strongly suspect that Lsuoma was under the influence of colonoscopy prep when he awarded it. :snooty:

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

I don't know about the rest of you but I am getting damn tired of base zebra and her annoying calls for fairness, level headedness, and santy.

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

Skep tickle wrote:Following up on my whinging about "exclusively" being used to mean "not actually exclusively", I'd like to point out that 5 members here have a "Best [sic] Post Evah!" badge.

I would like to request that mine be rescinded. Even ignoring the challenge of trying to process the existence of multiple instances of the same superlative, I feel my post was simply a timely pun that doesn't qualify as one of the best.

Furthermore I strongly suspect that Lsuoma was under the influence of colonoscopy prep when he awarded it. :snooty:
Don't try fishing for compliments. EVERY DAMN TIME you post is a "Best post Evah!" because you are always on topic and always fair.

Besides, if our FT says so, who are you to object? :D

Not dishing diagnoses over the tubes again, are you?

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

:nin: I was.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

I do hesitate to agitate for a change, just imagining alternatives FT could come up with. ("Among those who are more pedantic than most!!" ;) )