The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
Brive1987

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by Brive1987 »

Hunt wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:[.img]http://i.imgur.com/aRhRyHS.jpg[/img]
The Orbit is like Collateralized Debt Obligations (CDOs) formed by packaging junk bloggers from FtB. When will the bubble burst?
Normally you mix some AAA rated product to gild the lily.

Oh wait.

:?

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

rayshul wrote:
Holy shit
Nicely played! Asthma and ADHD totally blows away their speach impediment, and ze/hir could have claimed that she needed ramble in such a way to burn of excess adrenaline. And yet while neglecting to offer an apology, ze/hir admitted fault and offered to change it. Top virtue signalling.
Ania Onion is shaping up to be a star player in the Oppression Olympics this season. With Greta having apologize for things she said four years ago, it seems her game might be getting a little stale. While it's true that she is digging deep and drawing on her status as veteran, this does not make her current and is not a trick she can keep pulling. She is going to have work harder if she is going to compete with these up and coming youngsters.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Skep tickle wrote:
HunnyBunny wrote:...I have walked in those shoes, and continue to, having also been handed the same auto-immune diseases plus another for good measure, Psoriasis + psoriatic arthritis + Crohns. ... I still walk at least 3 km every day, it helps with the fatigue side of the diseases. I don't work, although not because of these diseases, but I do volunteer at a shelter for abused foreign domestic helpers here in HK. ...
Sorry to hear the hand you've been dealt, but glad that you've been able to stay active, have benefited from that, and have found some other approaches that help. ....

__

As a general comment: besides the disease itself, other factors that play into the experience of any illness include (a) the person's condition otherwise (overall health & fitness, other conditions aka 'comorbidities', etc), (b) support & resources, and (c) attitude & coping. Some of that is outside the person's control, but some of it can be managed, at least at some times & to some degree. (And other times you can use a thesaurus to find synonyms for "some".) ....
:) Seems it is one of those words for which there are very few if any synonyms for it. And the few here don't really seem to fit well in those sentences of yours.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

*correction: "Their" should have been "They's". My sincere apologies if anythey were triggered, I will do penance.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

VickyCaramel wrote:
rayshul wrote:
Holy shit
Nicely played! Asthma and ADHD totally blows away their speach impediment, and ze/hir could have claimed that she needed ramble in such a way to burn of excess adrenaline. And yet while neglecting to offer an apology, ze/hir admitted fault and offered to change it. Top virtue signalling.
Ania Onion is shaping up to be a star player in the Oppression Olympics this season. With Greta having apologize for things she said four years ago, it seems her game might be getting a little stale. While it's true that she is digging deep and drawing on her status as veteran, this does not make her current and is not a trick she can keep pulling. She is going to have work harder if she is going to compete with these up and coming youngsters.
Say, you're not the colour or play-by-play commentator for a sports network, are you? ;-)

Guest_84d94f98

Post by Guest_84d94f98 »

VickyCaramel wrote:But I doubt this is terribly relevant to us. It's unlikely to be SJWs or have any political motive.
Although he is critical of Sarkeesian, he has also had personal disagreements with "internet celebrities" from the gaming scene.
He hits so many hot button/hot topic issues and tends not to take the overly PC reaction to it, that finding someone butt hurt over his commentary or position would be a list of potential enemies a mile long. It could have pissed someone off on youtube. It could have been twitter. Hell, the latest video in his list about an angsty crowd was Anonymous. Matt says he has "an idea" of who it might be. But we don't have a reasonable chance of guessing who who might have pissed off. Hell, it could even be a preteen gamer who didn't like his review of a game. Not worth speculating and getting it wrong.

-Soylent f98

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

VickyCaramel wrote:*correction: "Their" should have been "They's". My sincere apologies if anythey were triggered, I will do penance.
Just had a Eureka moment. Since I'm from Norn Iron, my snowflake pronoun is "them'uns", so it is like.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

paddybrown wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote:*correction: "Their" should have been "They's". My sincere apologies if anythey were triggered, I will do penance.
Just had a Eureka moment. Since I'm from Norn Iron, my snowflake pronoun is "them'uns", so it is like.
A friend of mine was an electronics expert and was seconded to one of those special units in Northern Ireland. He would sometimes have to go plant bugs accompanied by a couple of minders dressed in plain clothes. He was taught that if he was ever challenged, to just say "Fuck off" and keep on walking. So the army spent many hours to teach him to say "Fuck off" in a Belfast accent.

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

Brianna Wu has appeared on a SyFy show called "The Internet Ruined My Life" I got this link from Kiwi Farms. I think it was only aired last night so there aren't many sources yet, and the sound is low on this one.

[youtube]jBBQ7MFx9RA[/youtube]

Check out the look at 2.30 :shock:

feathers

Post by feathers »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Shatterface wrote:I don't see how Sarkesian can do a series on women in history without falling back on the women-as-property trope she finds so 'problematic' in video games.
I'm sure her handler/script writer, Jonathan McIntosh, will sort that out.
No problem, she'll learn the piaffe in no time.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Oglebart wrote:Brianna Wu has appeared on a SyFy show called "The Internet Ruined My Life" I got this link from Kiwi Farms. I think it was only aired last night so there aren't many sources yet, and the sound is low on this one.

Ugh. While I'm sorry xe had to put up with the threats xe did get, the wrong is strong in that clip. Once more, a mainstream media outlet completely wrongly and superficially defines gamergate as simply a group of menz out to harass the womenz, as opposed to a massive movement concerned with ethics in the video game industry. Once again, the untold millions of tweets and articles from gamergate are reduced to a cherry picked handful of death threats. Wu even starts fake-crying, nice touch, as xe whinges about how awful women like her have it... while not bothering to mention xe's actually a dude. And she pulls a PZ Myers when xe says how thrilled that xe was when the first Mario game came out in the 80s and featured a strong female character. Yeah, another young boy lifelong feminist. And of course, no one ever fact checks this shit or makes any attempt at balanced reporting. The Narrative gets pushed and that's all that counts.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

VickyCaramel wrote:
paddybrown wrote:
A friend of mine was an electronics expert and was seconded to one of those special units in Northern Ireland. He would sometimes have to go plant bugs accompanied by a couple of minders dressed in plain clothes. He was taught that if he was ever challenged, to just say "Fuck off" and keep on walking. So the army spent many hours to teach him to say "Fuck off" in a Belfast accent.
Sounds like he's got all he needs.

I have only once encountered a Belfast accent so thick I couldn't understand it. It was a woman on a bus yelling into a mobile phone. Apart from the occasional "fuckin'", she sounded like the Martians from Mars Attacks.

[youtube]_k8YpQKzl_k[/youtube]

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Remember, today is St Paddy's Day.

If any non-Irish SJW attempts to celebrate this immediately slap them down with a Cultural Appropriation Notice.

If we can't wear sombreros they can't sport a shamrock.

SM12

Post by SM12 »

Here is a master lesson in Belfast accents

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

My family is from Belfast and even I have problems with the accent.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Harry Enfield gets us quite well.

[youtube]wxpYW_w5pgo[/youtube]

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

paddybrown wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote:
paddybrown wrote: Just had a Eureka moment. Since I'm from Norn Iron, my snowflake pronoun is "them'uns", so it is like.

I have only once encountered a Belfast accent so thick I couldn't understand it. It was a woman on a bus yelling into a mobile phone. Apart from the occasional "fuckin'", she sounded like the Martians from Mars Attacks.

The strange thing is, he met and married a girl from the Nationalist community. She was really sweet, easy going and easy to understand... until the subject of politics came up. The angrier she got, the harder she was to understand. She could rant on for hours about how Lloyd George murdered her potatoes, or some shit. Much like SJWs, it was a waste of time arguing with her, her head was filled with nonsense which bore no relationship to reality.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Kirbmarc wrote:The Orbit has already gone full Atheism Plus forum. (archive link).
This is a life and death matter. The cultural perception of my abilities directly impacts my ability to access care. The more people perpetuate this idea that disability equals incompetence, the harder it is to have doctors take me seriously when I say that something is wrong. The easier it is to excuse the horrible treatment of disabled children who are made to endure torturous treatments and have their bodily autonomy violated on a regular basis. The easier it is to ignore that 80% of people with disabilities will be sexually assaulted at some point in their lives. The easier it is to ignore that disabled children and even adults are murdered and abused by their caretakers. That people with disabilities are sterilized against their will, and that genocide against people with certain disabilities is given the clinical sounding name of eugenics. When you suggest eradicating people of a certain type by sterilizing those who fall in its category and aborting pregnancies that belong to that type, what else is it but genocide?
I suppose this '80%' is established using the SJW Statistics Method?

Also, does this person suggest we stop using medical treatment to help people overcome severe physical handicaps? So, for example, if someone is born blind, we should not try to make them see, but if a seeing person is in danger of losing their sight, we should? Or should we also let the latter rot?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

feathers wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:The Orbit has already gone full Atheism Plus forum. (archive link).
This is a life and death matter. The cultural perception of my abilities directly impacts my ability to access care. The more people perpetuate this idea that disability equals incompetence, the harder it is to have doctors take me seriously when I say that something is wrong. The easier it is to excuse the horrible treatment of disabled children who are made to endure torturous treatments and have their bodily autonomy violated on a regular basis. The easier it is to ignore that 80% of people with disabilities will be sexually assaulted at some point in their lives. The easier it is to ignore that disabled children and even adults are murdered and abused by their caretakers. That people with disabilities are sterilized against their will, and that genocide against people with certain disabilities is given the clinical sounding name of eugenics. When you suggest eradicating people of a certain type by sterilizing those who fall in its category and aborting pregnancies that belong to that type, what else is it but genocide?
I suppose this '80%' is established using the SJW Statistics Method?

Also, does this person suggest we stop using medical treatment to help people overcome severe physical handicaps? So, for example, if someone is born blind, we should not try to make them see, but if a seeing person is in danger of losing their sight, we should? Or should we also let the latter rot?
On the Atheism Plus forum the argument went this way: if they want to be blind, we should let me be blind, and anyone who attempts to "fix" their sight is a bigot. If they don't want to be blind, we should carefully vet them, because they're probably brainwashed the ableist Patriarchy.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

VickyCaramel wrote:
paddybrown wrote:

The strange thing is, he met and married a girl from the Nationalist community. She was really sweet, easy going and easy to understand... until the subject of politics came up. The angrier she got, the harder she was to understand. She could rant on for hours about how Lloyd George murdered her potatoes, or some shit. Much like SJWs, it was a waste of time arguing with her, her head was filled with nonsense which bore no relationship to reality.
Yep, it's exactly the same. All politics in Northern Ireland is identity politics. Us'uns are the morally pure victims, and them'uns are the evil oppressors. Self-righteous obnoxiousness. Daddy, he's on my side of the back seat of the car.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

paddybrown wrote:Harry Enfield gets us quite well.

Interestingly, Saint Nugent's latest blog mentions 'the Troubles'.
http://www.michaelnugent.com/2016/03/17 ... ts-unions/

I completely respect his position. But it raises questions.

The British strategy for dealing with the IRA was just a variation of the usual, the relevant part of which is to isolate them from the community from which they draw their support. This is a strategy perfected in Malaya and successfully adapted for other conflicts.... it is very successful, it works.

So in my opinion it is worth sacrificing freedom of speech in order to get the job done. After all, we think nothing of censoring ISIS as it's enemy propaganda. The Nationalist community weren't denied a voice, Sinn Fein did not represent the majority of the Nationalist community, they were the political wing of the IRA, which amounted to them having a platform for justifying killing civilians.

It can easily be argued that we could let them be heard, but that means having the argument, and that would mean people would take sides, which is what we would want to avoid.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

OK. Finally going to pull the plug on my old unused CRT TV. Since I lack basic familiarity with the new HDTVs, I am going to hit up this crowd with a few questions.

Input Devices:
* Computer (HDMI)
* Roku (HDMI)
* BlueRay Disc Player (HDMI)

Will I regret only having 3 HDMI inputs? (I am a PC game player, not console gaming)
Will I regret only having 1 USB input? Is adding a USB hub an option?
What on earth would I need an HDMI output on a TV for?

-------

Issue 2:
TV Stand (60").
I am looking for a dark solid wood stand. Not high profile, or enclosed TV set. I will probably be moving in the near future, so the ability to break it down & set it back up would be nice. But I also do want it to look attractive. Budget is highly flexible depending on the quality. Already checked Ikea and nothing in their limited dark wood selection works. Any suggestions?

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Jan Steen wrote:The Orbit gained a new blogger...

http://i.imgur.com/O3hQfQ8.jpg
If The Orbit means more fishies, then I'm donating. Yeah!

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

So this is an interesting example of double standards in the SJW culture war. A self-identified male feminist has a female guest on her podcast. They flirt via text for a while and end up fucking. He then ghosts her. She gets mad and writes about it on Facebook, then on Medium and then later updates her Medium post for an "It Happened to Me" article on XOJane:
Months later and not a word. For that first month after he stopped texting, the only contact he made was in the form of those weirdly passive-aggressive Twitter faves he’d occasionally toss at me like I was some kind of dog waiting beneath the dinner table for fuckboy scraps. This is who he is.

Furious, and needing an outlet, I posted an open letter detailing my experience. I didn’t name names, but I didn’t need to, because my Facebook messaging inbox was suddenly flooded with accounts from women who had had this same experience with him. Women who felt they didn't have a leg to stand on because this guy with 10,000 Twitter followers convinced everyone he was a feminist. We all felt the same way: stupid and embarrassed that we had fallen for it.

It was at this point that I learned he’s had a girlfriend he'd lived with for the past year.

It’s easy to claim male feminist sainthood to an audience of strangers on the internet. It’s easy to learn the right jargon, the PC customs, the dos and don’ts of online behavior. It’s easy to convince that audience that he is who he says he is. That he’s “one of the good guys.” That he proudly supports a woman’s right to choose. That he would even go so far as to volunteer at a women’s clinic because the publicizing of it has been very good for his brand. He declares that he “gets” a woman’s struggle. He really fucking gets it. He’s a lovable nerd. A music lover. A film buff. A writer. A comic. An actor. He’s one of the good guys.

He's not.
http://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me ... e-feminist

Although she didn't name the guy directly, the details she provided made it very easy anyone to figure out who he is, which is presumably how all these women found out about her Facebook post. In the XOJane piece, there are comments from people who claim to know both her and him and are disputing her version of the facts.

So here's the thing. Aside from her not directly naming him while still making it easy for anyone to find out who he is, and aside from framing the whole story as a narrative from her perspective, how is this any different from the Zoe Post, which everyone on the SJW side seems to agree was a monstrous invasion of privacy (if not an outright fabrication) from an abusive boyfriend?

At least Eron Gjoni was honest enough to post the chatlogs with his commentary, so providing readers with evidence to make up their own minds. It's clear from those logs that Zoe Quinn was a lot more toxic than this guy.

I'm really not seeing much of a difference here, except that Rachel Fisher was too chickenshit to directly name the target of her ire, settling instead for making it trivially easy to find out who he is. I won't be holding my breath for the outrage storm by SJWs over the abusive invasion of this guy's privacy.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

rayshul wrote:
Rebecca Watson and many of the others from their Orbit cohort are Millennials at the very top of the Millennial pool - the first generation to hit 18-20 in the year 2000. I'd never really thought about the year of birth having anything to do with SJWs... but it is interesting to notice that almost every friend I've made outside of school (e.g. all the people from not "good" class backgrounds) have succumbed to this bullshittery.

From that generation, I can pretty much predict a person's susceptability to SJWness depending on how successful as a human being they are.

Generally success is like -
* They have a job
* They don't live with their parents or are dependent on someone
* They have a fulfilling relationship - either with close friends or with a long term partner or family
* They have an enjoyable hobby they like to devote time

Race, class, gender and sexuality really don't factor at all.
As one of the first millenials (just made the cut, I can't imagine life without the internet, but then I don't have to, because I can remember life without the internet), I bristle when the SJWs are blamed on us. Can some of it be attributed to the everyone-gets-a-trophy upbringing? Sure. But who made that upbringing standard? Who created the gender studies departments in academia? Who developed critical race theory?

In real life, I mostly hang out with people my own age or younger, and there is widespread animosity toward the SJW mindset. This is especially true among my friends who have children, so there's hope. Then again the next leader of the free world is taking interviews with Lena Dunham, so... we're fucked I guess.

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

And, apparently, she made it really easy for him to find out who he is. Did I mention that?

My kingdom for an edit button!

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Oh. My. God.

Which one of you shitlords is behind this? Seriously, no more kidding around :lol:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Ed still has a corn up his bum, from his orbit post.

http://archive.is/vy1he
A note on comments: Do not — I repeat, do not — try to turn this into a raging argument over social justice and tactics. Unlike most posts, I will be monitoring the comments on this one and I’m simply going to delete comments that try to rip open old wounds and start new battles. You have been warned. And any denizens of the slymepit or MRAs or other assorted assholes that show up, you’ll be banned the moment I see it and your comments deleted. Don’t even bother. And if you want to scream about free speech, be my guest. I don’t give a fuck. You have no right to comment on my blog. I decide who gets to comment, period.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Cnutella wrote:So this is an interesting example of double standards in the SJW culture war. A self-identified male feminist has a female guest on her podcast. They flirt via text for a while and end up fucking. He then ghosts her. She gets mad and writes about it on Facebook, then on Medium and then later updates her Medium post for an "It Happened to Me" article on XOJane:
Months later and not a word. For that first month after he stopped texting, the only contact he made was in the form of those weirdly passive-aggressive Twitter faves he’d occasionally toss at me like I was some kind of dog waiting beneath the dinner table for fuckboy scraps. This is who he is.

Furious, and needing an outlet, I posted an open letter detailing my experience. I didn’t name names, but I didn’t need to, because my Facebook messaging inbox was suddenly flooded with accounts from women who had had this same experience with him. Women who felt they didn't have a leg to stand on because this guy with 10,000 Twitter followers convinced everyone he was a feminist. We all felt the same way: stupid and embarrassed that we had fallen for it.

It was at this point that I learned he’s had a girlfriend he'd lived with for the past year.

It’s easy to claim male feminist sainthood to an audience of strangers on the internet. It’s easy to learn the right jargon, the PC customs, the dos and don’ts of online behavior. It’s easy to convince that audience that he is who he says he is. That he’s “one of the good guys.” That he proudly supports a woman’s right to choose. That he would even go so far as to volunteer at a women’s clinic because the publicizing of it has been very good for his brand. He declares that he “gets” a woman’s struggle. He really fucking gets it. He’s a lovable nerd. A music lover. A film buff. A writer. A comic. An actor. He’s one of the good guys.

He's not.
http://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me ... e-feminist

Although she didn't name the guy directly, the details she provided made it very easy anyone to figure out who he is, which is presumably how all these women found out about her Facebook post. In the XOJane piece, there are comments from people who claim to know both her and him and are disputing her version of the facts.

So here's the thing. Aside from her not directly naming him while still making it easy for anyone to find out who he is, and aside from framing the whole story as a narrative from her perspective, how is this any different from the Zoe Post, which everyone on the SJW side seems to agree was a monstrous invasion of privacy (if not an outright fabrication) from an abusive boyfriend?

At least Eron Gjoni was honest enough to post the chatlogs with his commentary, so providing readers with evidence to make up their own minds. It's clear from those logs that Zoe Quinn was a lot more toxic than this guy.

I'm really not seeing much of a difference here, except that Rachel Fisher was too chickenshit to directly name the target of her ire, settling instead for making it trivially easy to find out who he is. I won't be holding my breath for the outrage storm by SJWs over the abusive invasion of this guy's privacy.
I thought the feminist directive on relationships & sex is that if the woman ceases communication with you after sex, you are supposed to graciously take the hint and not bother her again. So does she not have the same equal responsibility in this situation to not hound and harass a former sex partner if he no longer wishes to engage with her for whatever reasons he may have, and he owes her no explanation?

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

deLurch wrote: I thought the feminist directive on relationships & sex is that if the woman ceases communication with you after sex, you are supposed to graciously take the hint and not bother her again. So does she not have the same equal responsibility in this situation to not hound and harass a former sex partner if he no longer wishes to engage with her for whatever reasons he may have, and he owes her no explanation?
Heh, fair point. I also find it interesting that she chose to go after him not once but three times on three different platforms.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Brive1987 wrote:Ed still has a corn up his bum, from his orbit post.

A note on comments: Do not — I repeat, do not — try to turn this into a raging argument over social justice and tactics. Unlike most posts, I will be monitoring the comments on this one and I’m simply going to delete comments that try to rip open old wounds and start new battles. You have been warned. And any denizens of the slymepit or MRAs or other assorted assholes that show up, you’ll be banned the moment I see it and your comments deleted. Don’t even bother. And if you want to scream about free speech, be my guest. I don’t give a fuck. You have no right to comment on my blog. I decide who gets to comment, period.
OK. So the game plan is to slip a few past the goalie. When he bans us, we whine and cry about how we were misinterpreted and about how we were unfairly banned to a misunderstanding and how we totes aren't Slymepitters.

Remember folks, vary up your tactics.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Shatterface wrote:
deLurch wrote:
Gumby wrote:Also, I love how Carrier pretending that this whole Orbit thing was some sort of masterfully executed plan, as opposed to a bunch of bloggers stalking off in a huff because they finally figured out PZ's an asshole.
They couldn't stand PZ & Carrier. Patheos wouldn't take them. The only option left was to create their own blog network.
I'm of the opinion these people think Myers is a bit too woolly for them, rather than too much of an asshole.
Right now, they seem to be outcompeting each other in sheer SJW arseholiness. "You have a black lesbian armless blogger who wants to ban every word ever used for the disabled? Hah, take my queer blogger who has transitioned from white man to black woman and wants to kill all white men!"

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

20 pages?!? You got to be fucking with me! O_o

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Cnutella wrote:
deLurch wrote: I thought the feminist directive on relationships & sex is that if the woman ceases communication with you after sex, you are supposed to graciously take the hint and not bother her again. So does she not have the same equal responsibility in this situation to not hound and harass a former sex partner if he no longer wishes to engage with her for whatever reasons he may have, and he owes her no explanation?
Heh, fair point. I also find it interesting that she chose to go after him not once but three times on three different platforms.
Dating lesson 101 for men. Welcome to equality.

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

Oh Ed!

http://static1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... 3ahn40.jpg

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

VickyCaramel wrote:
paddybrown wrote:Harry Enfield gets us quite well.

Interestingly, Saint Nugent's latest blog mentions 'the Troubles'.
http://www.michaelnugent.com/2016/03/17 ... ts-unions/

I completely respect his position. But it raises questions.

The British strategy for dealing with the IRA was just a variation of the usual, the relevant part of which is to isolate them from the community from which they draw their support. This is a strategy perfected in Malaya and successfully adapted for other conflicts.... it is very successful, it works.

So in my opinion it is worth sacrificing freedom of speech in order to get the job done. After all, we think nothing of censoring ISIS as it's enemy propaganda. The Nationalist community weren't denied a voice, Sinn Fein did not represent the majority of the Nationalist community, they were the political wing of the IRA, which amounted to them having a platform for justifying killing civilians.

It can easily be argued that we could let them be heard, but that means having the argument, and that would mean people would take sides, which is what we would want to avoid.
I think Nugent's mostly right. What attempts there were to restrict freedom of speech during the troubles were ineffective at best and counterproductive at worst. Much better to let people express their opinions, and that way you know who's who, who can be reasoned with and who can't.

There were certainly restrictions on due process, and they were mostly counterproductive as well. Internment was a complete disaster. Interning not just known activists but also potential sympathisers radicalised people, created more activists and allowed them to organise and strategise. It's not often pointed out, but the IRA's aim in the 1981 hunger strikes was to get internment - "political prisoner status" - back.

The most effective thing the British did to isolate the IRA from their community was to abolish the local unionist-dominated Stormont parliament and reform all its abuses - gerrymandering, discrimination in jobs and housing - that had created the discontent in the Catholic community that drove the IRA.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

What's the word they use again? Entitlement?

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

paddybrown wrote:
What's the word they use again? Entitlement?
"Sometimes it is just sex. Get over it."

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Cnutella wrote: So here's the thing. Aside from her not directly naming him while still making it easy for anyone to find out who he is, and aside from framing the whole story as a narrative from her perspective, how is this any different from the Zoe Post, which everyone on the SJW side seems to agree was a monstrous invasion of privacy (if not an outright fabrication) from an abusive boyfriend?

It's no different from Eron's post, because Eron Gjoni is an asshole.

I have every sympathy for both posters in that they've had a hard time in a relationship, perhaps even been misled, but you know what? They can do what people have done for thousands of years and get over it. Have some fucking dignity not splashing your private shit all over the internet.

Kids today, honestly.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Every publication has turned into FTB/The OgvOrbit:

http://www.vqronline.org/profiles-artic ... al-descent

When will the patriarchal, sexist world of synchronized swimming have its own Elevatorgate so we can get some intersectional feminism going in this community, one that is dangerous for women?
While efforts are made to broaden the field and the events in the sport, making it inclusive, there is something particularly feminine about synchronized swimming. Not just in the way that the movements are impossibly difficult but made to look easy—as women we can’t just succeed, we must succeed without appearing to exert effort—but in the way it is judged. Swimmers must lift their body weight above the water while holding a smile rigid on their face, in full makeup, while the rest of the body is submerged in water. Imagine an Olympic weight lifter asked to smile during a clean-and-jerk, or a football player required to let out a churlish laugh during a tackle. In synchro, points are deducted for frowning. Points are awarded for presentation, such as makeup. But the essence of judging itself cuts to the core of what it is to be a woman. The FINA guide for judges states: “All judgments are made from the standpoint of perfection.”
So the synchronized swimmers are forced to SMILE?!?!?! No other athletes are forced to SMILE. So a woman isn't perfect unless she's SMILING?

This is bullshit.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Greta's latest book is just about ready for publication: “The Way of the Heathen: Practicing Atheism in Everyday Life” Is Done!

Congratulations to her, and I really mean that.

Note, though, the absence of any Content Note on her blog post above - there's no "CN: successful completion of a book, mentioning working on 2 big projects at the same time, and commenting with pride on having 4 previously published books".

It's not like her post is slipping past without her co-bloggers noticing - 2 of them have offered congratulations in the comments. Hopefully there is still time for her to add a CN before other(s) of her co-bloggers see & are triggered by her post.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

paddybrown wrote:
Fockin 'eejits!

They could have shot down that saucer if they'd had Shermans!!

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

VickyCaramel wrote:
Was her name Aoife?

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:20 pages?!? You got to be fucking with me! O_o
We got twenty pages of (mostly) Trump, and you got mountains. I don't think you should complain.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

paddybrown wrote:
I think Nugent's mostly right. What attempts there were to restrict freedom of speech during the troubles were ineffective at best and counterproductive at worst. Much better to let people express their opinions, and that way you know who's who, who can be reasoned with and who can't.

There were certainly restrictions on due process, and they were mostly counterproductive as well. Internment was a complete disaster. Interning not just known activists but also potential sympathisers radicalised people, created more activists and allowed them to organise and strategise. It's not often pointed out, but the IRA's aim in the 1981 hunger strikes was to get internment - "political prisoner status" - back.

The most effective thing the British did to isolate the IRA from their community was to abolish the local unionist-dominated Stormont parliament and reform all its abuses - gerrymandering, discrimination in jobs and housing - that had created the discontent in the Catholic community that drove the IRA.
I think you are exactly right. Mistakes were made and it took some time to adapt the strategy to Northern Ireland.

I think the organization which you mention which resulted from internment was partly mitigated by they amount of informants the security services were able to recruit or insert into the organization.

I also think by far the biggest mistake was Bloody Sunday. It is entirely possible that the fallout from this one event doubled the length of the conflict.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

jet_lagg wrote:
Oh. My. God.

Which one of you shitlords is behind this? Seriously, no more kidding around :lol:
It's a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, wrapped in an enigma. ;)

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

VickyCaramel wrote:
paddybrown wrote:

The solution to pretty much all conflicts is to reform abuses, fight corruption, end privileges and special concessions and isolate the unreasonable people until they're no longer popular.

This is rarely accomplished because it's far too convenient for some people to get entitlements and special rights, and it's incredibly tough to make give up their head start, even if it's an undeserved one. People in power cling to their power. Corrupt officials fear punishment for their corruption.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Passive-aggressive favouring of tweets.

Fuck's sake.

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

Kirbmarc wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:
Oh. My. God.

It's a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, wrapped in an enigma. ;)
So it's Churchill, not Sherman? :twatson:

Sorry if that joke tanked.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Obama on campuses which "coddle" their students too much:

[youtube]APbRtBU4O7U[/youtube]

His speech is pretty weak, but he refers to "no platforming" as "not the way we learn".

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

Gumby wrote:
Oglebart wrote:Brianna Wu has appeared on a SyFy show called "The Internet Ruined My Life" I got this link from Kiwi Farms. I think it was only aired last night so there aren't many sources yet, and the sound is low on this one.

Ugh. While I'm sorry xe had to put up with the threats xe did get, the wrong is strong in that clip. Once more, a mainstream media outlet completely wrongly and superficially defines gamergate as simply a group of menz out to harass the womenz, as opposed to a massive movement concerned with ethics in the video game industry. Once again, the untold millions of tweets and articles from gamergate are reduced to a cherry picked handful of death threats. Wu even starts fake-crying, nice touch, as xe whinges about how awful women like her have it... while not bothering to mention xe's actually a dude. And she pulls a PZ Myers when xe says how thrilled that xe was when the first Mario game came out in the 80s and featured a strong female character. Yeah, another young boy lifelong feminist. And of course, no one ever fact checks this shit or makes any attempt at balanced reporting. The Narrative gets pushed and that's all that counts.
Yep, that's pretty much my take on it all too. The telling of the story of the death threats are completely distorted, and the video where she mentions that a "gamergater" was on her way to her house to kill her was all part of a hoax that no one else was taking seriously, which of course Wu was aware of. She has chosen to inflate all this harassment angle at every opportunity, and I think she looks ridiculous in this program. I guess really the best course would be to ignore her and see if she can still generate publicity through quality of work, but I think everyone, including Wu, knows that that is not going to happen.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

VickyCaramel wrote:
paddybrown wrote:

There's a great scene in Der Tunnel, where, after cracking an East Berlin water main while digging, one of the group must go in and fix it. He masquerades as a city worker, but gets approached by an inquisitive security guard. He successfully blows off the security guard by hitting him with a bunch of red tape & paperwork -- all in an heavy, pedestrian Berliner accent. (The character, btw, is the prim, sophisticate son of a duchess.)

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

screwtape wrote:
We got twenty pages of (mostly) Trump, and you got mountains. I don't think you should complain.
Oh, ok, thanks for the heads-up. I'll just scroll, then, if there's nothing juicy.

The mountain venture was cool, then we decided to stay one extra day to finish some work, and then we were blocked by a snowstorm. I arrived home 1.5 hours ago. And didn't injure myself. I'll post some pictures later.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

d4m10n wrote:Looking forward to the police report, like any proper skeptic.
Well, if he was really swatted then there has to be one, since the victimization occurred by way of a major police action. Reporting the issue to the police would be redundant.

Whether Matt wants his full name on the internet, and whether he is publicly accusing someone are two additional considerations. If he's going to accuse Jenny McDermott (for example) then I think he should show everyone the report, and how he knows it was Jenny what done it. I would also hope that he'd go through official channels and press charges rather than simply naming someone on the internet.

If Matt just wants to let it be known that this happened, then I'm fine taking him at his word. OTOH, if that's what he is doing, I'd probably be skeptical if he started trying to use the incident to push reforms or pimp his patreon.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Cnutella wrote:

Oh Ed!

http://static1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... 3ahn40.jpg
What is it about fat, middle-aged men with small penises, so full of impotent rage that they're constantly at risk of blowing an artery ?

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote: The mountain venture was cool, then we decided to stay one extra day to finish some work, and then we were blocked by a snowstorm. I arrived home 1.5 hours ago. And didn't injure myself. I'll post some pictures later.
I will wait for the medical report like a good skeptic. :snooty:

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
screwtape wrote:
Oh, ok, thanks for the heads-up. I'll just scroll, then, if there's nothing juicy.

The mountain venture was cool, then we decided to stay one extra day to finish some work, and then we were blocked by a snowstorm. I arrived home 1.5 hours ago. And didn't injure myself. I'll post some pictures later.
The Orbit, dude. The Fuckin' ORBIT!

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Lsuoma wrote: The Orbit, dude. The Fuckin' ORBIT!
Yeah? What? I already said I liked the movies, Battle of the Five Armies was very entertaining.

*cough* can I get a digest on the Orbit stuff?

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Oglebart wrote: Yep, that's pretty much my take on it all too. The telling of the story of the death threats are completely distorted, and the video where she mentions that a "gamergater" was on her way to her house to kill her was all part of a hoax that no one else was taking seriously <snip>
He said he was going there to snipe her and "street race" her. People who take that seriously are the reason we have "do not eat" warnings on packets of silica gel.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Skep tickle wrote:Greta's latest book is just about ready for publication: “The Way of the Heathen: Practicing Atheism in Everyday Life” Is Done!

Congratulations to her, and I really mean that.

Note, though, the absence of any Content Note on her blog post above - there's no "CN: successful completion of a book, mentioning working on 2 big projects at the same time, and commenting with pride on having 4 previously published books".

It's not like her post is slipping past without her co-bloggers noticing - 2 of them have offered congratulations in the comments. Hopefully there is still time for her to add a CN before other(s) of her co-bloggers see & are triggered by her post.
How dare Greta shame Heina like that!