The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by John Greg »

How'd we get back on knives again? Anyway....

VickyCaramel said:
I'm still not completely happy with my bread knife....
What kind of bread knife? I've got one of these: http://houseofknives.ca/wusthof-classic ... 9-4150-23/

It's excellent.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Malky wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote:
To be fair, since i gave up work and now spend more time cooking, i have a thing about knives. In the last few months i have bought three complete sets, several additional carving knives, bread knives and Chef's knives.

I'm still not completely happy with my bread knife or my steel sharpener.
I have a Tojiro Senkou Bread Knife which is absolutely the best I have ever had the pleasure of using,. Also shouldn't you be using a whetstone for sharpening good knives rather than a steel?
The steel simply aligns the edge. You'll want a good sharpener. While a whetstone is a good investment, for novice sharpeners I generally recommend the Speyderco Sharpmaker It's easy to use while still producing good results.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

NoGodsEver wrote:Coyne posts about how PZ is a dishonest prick.

https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.co ... -graffiti/
I find it remarkable that Peez still has apologists there.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

John Greg wrote:How'd we get back on knives again? Anyway....

VickyCaramel said:
I'm still not completely happy with my bread knife....
What kind of bread knife? I've got one of these: http://houseofknives.ca/wusthof-classic ... 9-4150-23/

It's excellent.
Aww, we got the same breadknives. Yeah, Wustoff-Tridents are excellent.

Now I shall shut up about knives...

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Well, this seems appropriate

[youtube]pQ2dI_B_Ycg[/youtube]

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Oglebart wrote:
Shatterface wrote:We called them johnnies. We just weren't sure what they were for.

[/Catholic school]
Yeah, rubber johnnies as I remember. I have heard them called french letters too, don't know where that comes from though? Maybe an older generation thing, I've heard my Dad say it before.
You rang?

[youtube]FW-ZPTW4_IU[/youtube]
Ok, well Richard James is from the same area of England as me, similar age too so that makes sense.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Shatterface wrote:I think fraud may be a legitimate limit to free speech.
Being charged or sued for fraud is only one of myriad things that can happen to you when you (ab)use your right to free speech. The "right" to free speech only prevents the gov't from silencing you. It is no way provides any immunity against the consequences of your speech.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

VickyCaramel wrote:
Easy J wrote:
Incidentally, you shouldn't put this factoid on your dating profile. I had a discussion about this with a girl I met online.
Did she take it out of her profile after your discussion?
This knife talk made her sound like Laverne

[youtube]DDWr5rfZWjE[/youtube]

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

A man who was mistakenly charged by the Metropolitan police after claiming on Twitter that he confronted a Muslim woman over the Brussels terror attacks has said he will launch a formal complaint against the force.

Matthew Doyle, from south Croydon, provoked anger on social media after he tweeted about the encounter with the woman. He said the woman gave a “mealy-mouthed” response after he demanded she “explain” the Brussels attacks.

Police charged him with an offence under the Public Order Act on Thursday. But on Friday night they were forced to withdraw the accusations, admitting they had no power to charge him in the first place.

Doyle said police had bowed to a social media row. “In reality, the Met added ammunition to whatever I said,” he said. “Concurrently, their press office should be cautioned about issuing largely self-congratulatory statements and then being forced to backtrack.” He added: “They smelt blood, but got egg on both their face and reputation.”
Initially, Twitter users mocked Doyle for his tweet, posting hundreds of parody versions, however later tweets where Doyle referred to Muslims as “towel heads” were met with anger.

Asked if he regretted his original tweets, he said: “I said how I felt at that moment in time. If anyone fanned the flames, it was the nameless Twitter trolls who smelt a lynching on their hands.

“For the Met to bow to social media rows, it is not only foolish of them but I will be making a complaint against them and [claiming for] damages for trashing my flat, taking all my electronic stuff from my flat and forcing me to leave London.”

He said his case had been “badly handled” and complained of his treatment at the police station. He said: “Denied a shave, shower, food etc, I was stripped of any dignity to appear at Camberwell court without looking like a dishevelled hobo, which I am not.”

Doyle also explained the details of his interaction with the unnamed woman. He claims he had a “polite conversation” with a British Muslim after approaching her on Wednesday morning.

“We had a polite conversation and moved on. I thanked her for talking to me,” Doyle said. “The conversation took place in south Croydon. If I was being either threatening or racist, she was free to report me.”

In its statement, the Metropolitan police said it would consult further with the CPS over the issue

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016 ... an-croydon

-

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

comhcinc wrote:So this might be of interest, at the very least it will give people another chance to tell me how stupid I am.

Andrew Wakefield, the fraud behind the study still used by anti vaccers has made a movie called Vaxxed: From Cover-up to Catastrophe, in which he argues the same shit he always has. This film is going to be shown at the Tribeca Film Festival in New York in aboot a month.

Robert De Niro (one of the founders) has defended the film being screened stating that he is not an anti vaccer but having an autistic kid he wants there to be a discussion.

I also have an autistic kid and I personally don't want it to be a discussion when it comes to this bullshit but, I totally support De Niro and Tribeca in this. While I would have been very happy if they never would have offered to screen the film, now that they have I do not think they should give in to pressure and no platform it. I feel all that does is play into Wakefield's narrative.

I also feel all ideas, even the bad ones, need to be allowed to be discussed. A number of big time skeptics are asking the film be pulled. I think they are wrong.
Best thing they could do is invite one of them to speak before/after the movie to discuss the problems with it.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Shatterface wrote:
comhcinc wrote:So this might be of interest, at the very least it will give people another chance to tell me how stupid I am.

Andrew Wakefield, the fraud behind the study still used by anti vaccers has made a movie called Vaxxed: From Cover-up to Catastrophe, in which he argues the same shit he always has. This film is going to be shown at the Tribeca Film Festival in New York in aboot a month.

Robert De Niro (one of the founders) has defended the film being screened stating that he is not an anti vaccer but having an autistic kid he wants there to be a discussion.

I also have an autistic kid and I personally don't want it to be a discussion when it comes to this bullshit but, I totally support De Niro and Tribeca in this. While I would have been very happy if they never would have offered to screen the film, now that they have I do not think they should give in to pressure and no platform it. I feel all that does is play into Wakefield's narrative.

I also feel all ideas, even the bad ones, need to be allowed to be discussed. A number of big time skeptics are asking the film be pulled. I think they are wrong.
I think fraud may be a legitimate limit to free speech. Wakefield lied. It's not a controversial area for debate. And it's not just harmless bullshit like ghosts or Big Foot. Kids died.
There are people who still believe this bullshit, and they are out there whispering, trying to convince others.

Every time this crap is given a platform, it is an opportunity slap it into the dirt, teabag it and piss on it's ashes.

As you mentioned BigFoot, this is still my favourite sceptical subject and I listen to podcasts 2-3 times a week... from the more sane end of the community. And yet many of these people are from the bible belt, they are simple country folk, hillbillies and Rednecks. Not so long ago I was listening to Animal Behaviour Expert who worked for the park service. They knew damn well that climate change is real because it is changing the behaviour of the animals, it changes their distribution and even their average size, and yet made a point of saying it was natural and not man-made. This is somebody I would expect to know better.

This kind of battle isn't won just because it isn't in the newspapers.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
Malky wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote:
To be fair, since i gave up work and now spend more time cooking, i have a thing about knives. In the last few months i have bought three complete sets, several additional carving knives, bread knives and Chef's knives.

I have a Tojiro Senkou Bread Knife which is absolutely the best I have ever had the pleasure of using,. Also shouldn't you be using a whetstone for sharpening good knives rather than a steel?
The steel simply aligns the edge. You'll want a good sharpener. While a whetstone is a good investment, for novice sharpeners I generally recommend the Speyderco Sharpmaker It's easy to use while still producing good results.
I have a couple of whetstones which are family heirlooms in hand made wooden boxes.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Ted Cruz Mistress Crisis – Apparently There’s Video...

...That source said an operative allied with Marco Rubio—but not associated with his official campaign—showed the publication a compilation video of Cruz and a woman other than his wife coming out of the Capitol Grille restaurant and a hotel on Tuesdays and Thursdays. But the outlet opted not to report on the video, which demonstrated no direct evidence of an affair.
The most cartoonish US election season ever. And we've only just begun :shock:

http://imgur.com/KiSipcH.jpg

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

At this point Pizzy must grasp for what straws he can.

No matter how he tries to spin it, he has t realize that the larger A/S movement has seen what he has to offer and has overwhelmingly rejected it.

Gone are the days when he could send large numbers to Pharyngulate an on line poll. The speaking gigs are drying up, he's still checking his mailbox for the reason rally invite.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Spike13 wrote:At this point Pizzy must grasp for what straws he can.

No matter how he tries to spin it, he has t realize that the larger A/S movement has seen what he has to offer and has overwhelmingly rejected it.

Gone are the days when he could send large numbers to Pharyngulate an on line poll. The speaking gigs are drying up, he's still checking his mailbox for the reason rally invite.
And even if he had remained popular, he'd still be an arsehole.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

With Cracked going full SJW the past few years, it's nice to see College Humor still carrying the torch

[youtube]Z78_rAg4Ldg[/youtube]

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:The Pit has been boring for two days.
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1600/254 ... 0f7c_o.png

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

I am beginning to suspect that wzard1 is a troll :think:

25 March 2016 at 10:38 pm

Zeppelin, the murderer is a product of his environment/era. I’m familiar with that one, slightly.
As my wife and I have gone hungry to feed our children and really loathed life when our children went hungry with us, I understand his context, I fundamentally disagree with his solution set.
Abuse upon any opposing? Not in my lexicon, I convince those opposing and only destroy those attempting to cause harm to the masses via violence to those masses.

Vivec, you’re on the right trail, fascism. It’s been in this nation when fascism had new paint, it’s remaining today. Quite a worrisome condition!

Williamgeorge, that’s why I only drink rainwater and distilled grain spirits. Purity of essence! ;)

ModZero, I’ll never be scary to you. You are a gentle person and hence, could shield from offense. :)
Even an honest gaffe won’t hit a trigger, save glancingly and I’d make mention of it, apologetically.
Yes, I’ve performed my duty in ways that horrify civilized people, they horrified me. That isn’t desensitization, it was simple reality. eliminate a threat or be eliminated and our nation suffers.
I repeatedly reenlisted for a reason, so that my younger and younger peers didn’t have to let their children go through that mental meat grinder.
I never did what I did for thanks, it was to not put more people through that insanity factory.
As for point number two, it was a sparse condition in life, singular in nature, thankfully. I didn’t have to kill my way out of them and to be brutally honest, I was anticipating killing my way through them.
Something utterly disgusting to me, a failure in the extreme.
For my mantra has always been, violence is the first refuge of the incompetent.
While I’ve had the occasional incontinence, I’m far from incompetent. I’ll chalk that event up to hyperthyroid.
That said, there might be dementia, far premature, but that still is within the diagnostic criteria and not ruled out, courtesy of that hyperthyroidism.
If the latter is true, I refuse to put my family through what I and my wife had to deal with. All, save my wife, agrees.
We’ll deal with that one if it actually happens. That said, I obviously have many plans to deal with it if things go sideways. :/
My goal in life has always been to leave this world better than I arrived in it and as the early ’60’s wasn’t really great, the current decline can be removed and improved upon.
That said, I do have an asshole part of me. Threaten me, I threaten back and prepare within a fraction of a second to follow through.
One method I used in a desperate situation, where my firearms were neutralized in a narrow passage, placing a knife mid-claviclular line, redirecting blade medially and withdrawing it.
Wasn’t a fun experience to get all of that on me, but I got to go home, he didn’t.
Excuse me, while I get seriously drunk.

grandolddeity, get into my grille, be a new eunuch. I’ve never had a problem driving a blade into a suppossed man’s dick and then move toward more vital areas. Again, not a fun memory.
Excuse me, while I get my fifth drink.
After a week of proving that I don’t *need* to drink and sleeplessness, or more correctly, easily awakened, with hypervigilance.
Thanks for nothing.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

I want to believe in Big Foot, and the Yeti, and the Loch Ness Monster...

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

jet_lagg wrote:With Cracked going full SJW the past few years, it's nice to see College Humor still carrying the torch

*cough*

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Ape+lust wrote:

...That source said an operative allied with Marco Rubio—but not associated with his official campaign—showed the publication a compilation video of Cruz and a woman other than his wife coming out of the Capitol Grille restaurant and a hotel on Tuesdays and Thursdays. But the outlet opted not to report on the video, which demonstrated no direct evidence of an affair.

:lol: :clap:

Fucking awesome.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Shatterface wrote:

I think fraud may be a legitimate limit to free speech. Wakefield lied. It's not a controversial area for debate. And it's not just harmless bullshit like ghosts or Big Foot. Kids died.
Sure but this is just a movie. He is not selling any snake oil with this ticket.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Karmakin wrote:
Best thing they could do is invite one of them to speak before/after the movie to discuss the problems with it.
I think the best thing that could have happened is no one say shit aboot it right now. It's only in the news at this point because people are upset it's being screened. It's just free press.

But since that isn't going to happen yeah you have a good idea.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Ape+lust wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:With Cracked going full SJW the past few years, it's nice to see College Humor still carrying the torch

*cough*

Collegehumor puts out a lot of stuff. They tend to take jabs at everyone and that makes them alright in my book.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Well fuck

blitzem

Post by blitzem »

Ape+lust wrote:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :burn:
:burn: :burn: :burn: :burn: :burn:

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Christ that comic is cringeworthy.

Jack Wooster

Post by Jack Wooster »

VickyCaramel wrote: As you mentioned BigFoot, this is still my favourite sceptical subject and I listen to podcasts 2-3 times a week... from the more sane end of the community.

Out of interest which podcasts do you consider listenable to? I've got pissed of with the SGU again, obviously, leaving only 'Skeptics with a K'

feathers

Post by feathers »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:The Pit has been boring for two days.
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1600/254 ... 0f7c_o.png
So elegant in its simplicity.

feathers

Post by feathers »

free thoughtpolice wrote:I am beginning to suspect that wzard1 is a troll :think:

25 March 2016 at 10:38 pm

Zeppelin, the murderer is a product of his environment/era. I’m familiar with that one, slightly.
As my wife and I have gone hungry to feed our children and really loathed life when our children went hungry with us, I understand his context, I fundamentally disagree with his solution set.
[yapyapyapyapyapyapyap]
Manperson talk too much for special forces soldier.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Here is an interesting law; you can't have an abortion because the fetus shows symptoms of Down's syndrome or other anomaly:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... -syndrome/
The law also prohibits having an abortion because of the race or sex of the fetus.
So you can only abort fetuses if they are healthy white males? It sounds like the Republicans and the SJWs are teaming up.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
Malky wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote:

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

I've got a very basic wee little hand sharpener, by Henkels, that is, much to my surprise, completely effective. It's a tad slow; several minutes back and forth to sharpen, but it does a perfect job.

Link: http://houseofknives.ca/zwilling-j-a-he ... 32591-000/

All my knives are either Henkels, or Wusthof.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I'm in for the Skype call perhaps, but it is Easter here so if my mum arrives I'm gonna be doing egg stuff.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Jack Wooster wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote: As you mentioned BigFoot, this is still my favourite sceptical subject and I listen to podcasts 2-3 times a week... from the more sane end of the community.

Out of interest which podcasts do you consider listenable to? I've got pissed of with the SGU again, obviously, leaving only 'Skeptics with a K'
The one I always listen without fail is Sasquatch Chronicles
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/bigfoothotspot
Those are the Sunday shows, you have to pay to hear the midweek ones.
Most of the time it is just people telling their stories. Recently he has had some woo shows about skulls, giants and nephilim, but if you go back aways there is some interesting stuff. The two "Down the rabbit hole" shows are fascinating. I can't remember the name of the show, it has been featured twice, but there is one guy who tells a story which involved him pissing on a bigfoot. It is at the same time one of the scariest and funniest stories I have ever heard.

I have just started to listen to the Bigfoot Outlaws, who have recently decided to talk about Bigfoot raping horses.
https://www.youtube.com/user/BigfootCrossroads/videos

...come on, how can you resist a topic like that?

There are others which tend to be more sporadic such as http://www.blogtalkradio.com/sasquatchwatchradio
I don't have them bookmarked I am afraid as i get email alerts when they do a show.

I must mention ThinkerThunker, who is the closest thing to a real sceptic in the Bigfoot community.
https://www.youtube.com/user/ThinkerThunker/videos

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

rayshul wrote:I'm in for the Skype call perhaps, but it is Easter here so if my mum arrives I'm gonna be doing egg stuff.
Don't worry about it

[youtube]DpRn4Q4V81o[/youtube]

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Repost link for high interest, and many good ideas....

Michael Shermer: http://www.skeptic.com/reading_room/cam ... of-speech/

:whistle:

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Indeed. Apropos of which, seems that the transgender activists (aka, thugs) over at Lambda Literary are not too thrilled with Alice Dreger's views on the question:

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

John Greg wrote:Repost link for high interest, and many good ideas....

Looks to be worth a read.

But, in passing, I think that signature quote of yours on religion and flying is from Steven Weinberg.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Steersman wrote:
Indeed. Apropos of which, seems that the transgender activists (aka, thugs) over at Lambda Literary are not too thrilled with Alice Dreger's views on the question:
From near the end of her open letter:
Your decision is, honestly, pathetic. It reaffirms that LGBTQ people who don’t toe the party line of bullies and trolls like Conway and James must stay silent or else be harassed. It allows a small group of transgender people to smear a book that contains critically important original histories of and advocacy for intersex, transgender, lesbian, and gay people.

Unnecessary shame, I have learned in my twenty years of work on sexual minorities, is at the core of much suffering. It motivates unnecessary surgeries on the genitals of intersex babies, causes people to be closeted about their sexual orientations in ways that harm themselves and those they love or want to love, drives youth to engage in sometimes fatal self-harm, and pushes self-loathing bullies to bash.

There’s only one good reason for shame, and that is when you hurt others unjustly.

Malky

Post by Malky »

John Greg wrote:I've got a very basic wee little hand sharpener, by Henkels, that is, much to my surprise, completely effective. It's a tad slow; several minutes back and forth to sharpen, but it does a perfect job.

Link: http://houseofknives.ca/zwilling-j-a-he ... 32591-000/

All my knives are either Henkels, or Wusthof.
You've obviously never been exposed to the excellence of japanese steel:

[youtube]LDcTggvq6_4[/youtube]

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

I wish those people wouldn't have gotten involved.
The American College of Pediatricians (ACPeds) is a socially conservative association of pediatricians and other healthcare professionals in the United States. The College was founded in 2002 by a group of pediatricians including Joseph Zanga, a past president of the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), as a protest against the AAP's support for adoption by gay couples. The group's membership has been estimated at between 60 and 200 members
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_ ... iatricians

It's a lot like the Klan joining your cause.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

rayshul wrote:I'm in for the Skype call perhaps, but it is Easter here so if my mum arrives I'm gonna be doing egg stuff.

I am going to push it back to 8 pm Eastern Time (which is 12 GMT) I will just call everyone then on group chat and if you can make it then make it.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

I'm in old fart mode tonight. Going to hit the pillow soon, but if I wake up around that time, I'll be sure to check in.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Skep tickle wrote:
Steersman wrote:
[.tweet][/tweet]
From near the end of her open letter:
Your decision is, honestly, pathetic. It reaffirms that LGBTQ people who don’t toe the party line of bullies and trolls like Conway and James must stay silent or else be harassed. It allows a small group of transgender people to smear a book that contains critically important original histories of and advocacy for intersex, transgender, lesbian, and gay people.

Unnecessary shame, I have learned in my twenty years of work on sexual minorities, is at the core of much suffering. It motivates unnecessary surgeries on the genitals of intersex babies, causes people to be closeted about their sexual orientations in ways that harm themselves and those they love or want to love, drives youth to engage in sometimes fatal self-harm, and pushes self-loathing bullies to bash.

There’s only one good reason for shame, and that is when you hurt others unjustly.
Not that I want you to give a medical diagnosis or anything like that [ ;-) ], but I'm curious what your views might be on that underlined portion of Dreger's quote. The reason I ask is that "Eve" (a transwoman, apparently) over at a Patheos thread kind of objected to similar quote from Dreger in a comment of mine:
Eve wrote:It's almost funny how sadly irrelevant the entire first half of this is. Intersex children, more and more, are being given the right to choose what feels most comfortable to them instead of having a doctor decide when they're born. As far as I'm aware, there is no transgender child that has ever undergone any surgical procedure regarding treatment for their dysphoria - it is required that you be an adult. Hormonally, the only medication ever given out is a puberty blocker - which delays or stops puberty until the child is older and can choose exactly what they want to do later.
I was going to refer to the depressing if not egregious case of David Reimer but thought it likely to be anomalous at best. So, are you aware or know of any such surgeries on transgender children? I took a look in a related article in Wikipedia (gender dysphoria, I think) but didn't see anything conclusive.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

I assume that that wasn't an endorsing-type link, as (even given my views of gender identity) I consider the American College of Pediatricians to be a bunch of Right-wing, Christian whack-jobs and hope that you do, too.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Looking forward to the new atheism conference

HoneyWagon

Post by HoneyWagon »

John Greg wrote:Repost link for high interest, and many good ideas....

My link earlier wasn't good enough?!?!
Whatever mansplainer!

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
I assume that that wasn't an endorsing-type link, as (even given my views of gender identity) I consider the American College of Pediatricians to be a bunch of Right-wing, Christian whack-jobs and hope that you do, too.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

d4m10n wrote:Looking forward to the new atheism conference

An online conference. That seems to like the worst idea ever. Like you take all the fun things about a conference. The meeting new people, the drinking, the cool location, the asking for coffee in elevators.

Willyum

Post by Willyum »

Good article about a journalist who went undercover as a student in the Brussels neighborhood Molenbeek 11 years ago to investigate the jihadist culture there. According to the article she wrote a book about the experience not too long after.

Some interesting quotes from the author about her experience after publishing the book more than 10 years ago:
“You know in Belgium we don’t dare say things frankly when it concerns Islam, integration or immigration. We freeze. Ten years ago I was treated as an Islamophobe, and a racist. Some people said I had psychological problems and that I was a Muslim traumatized by Islam.
“The Belgian political right seized the opportunity to defend me and declare there was a problem with Muslims. The parties of the center and left simply didn’t take a stand, unfortunately. And then they continued to neglect the problem. But these young people are still there, like ghosts crossing the streets…all these years of negligence have unfortunately been captured by a terrorist group called Daesh [ISIS]. Because the recruiters know how to see these young people, how to listen to them…and then how to recruit them.”

Here is a link to the story. The longer original french version can be accessed there.

http://nytlive.nytimes.com/womeninthewo ... molenbeek/

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

AndrewV69 wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote: ...
Maybe this is why in some countries a woman's testimony is worth half of a man's?
From the cesspit of lies
Countries where in some cases a woman's testimony is worth half of that of a man:

Algeria (in criminal cases)[13]....

OIC countries where women's testimony is known to be equal to a man's in all cases:
Tunisia[29]
Oman[30]
*shrug*

Keep importing people from these countries. What could possibly go wrong?
Because we are horrified that the people we came to the West to get away from are being allowed in behind us?
So, can I count on your vote (joining Scented Nectar's ;-) ) in the upcoming election when I stand on a platform of banning Islam? And deporting those already here, at least those who won't piss on the Quran? ;-)

But, somewhat apropos of which:

Down to about 2 a minute now, but Milo tweeted something recently about that same suppression by Twitter of the hashtag. Dickheads.

And then there's this:

When I see that street filled with Muslisms protesting against the bombing in Brussels, and that egregious case in Pakistan, and the declaration that a law against child-marriage was "un-Islamic" then I'll maybe rethink that platform.
AndrewV69 wrote:Whatever man. Fuck (Die Antwoord)
Indeed.
People are unconscious, and you have to use your art as a shock machine to wake them up.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

The horde delivers.

http://i.imgur.com/Fna6FUN.jpg

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Willyum wrote:Good article about a journalist who went undercover as a student in the Brussels neighborhood Molenbeek 11 years ago to investigate the jihadist culture there. According to the article she wrote a book about the experience not too long after.
<snip>

Here is a link to the story. The longer original french version can be accessed there.

Looks interesting. You might also be interested in this recent article in Breitbart:
Dutch Party For Freedom (PVV) leader and prominent counter-Islamist campaigner Geert Wilders has spoken exclusively to Breitbart London in the aftermath of this morning’s major terror attack and has lamented it is just the beginning of growing Islamist violence.

Mr. Wilders said: “I fear that we ain’t seen nothing yet. According to Europol 3,000 to 5,000 European jihadists, who went to Syria to fight in the ranks of IS and similar terrorist groups, have meanwhile returned to Western Europe. Some of them hid among the hundreds of thousands of Islamic asylum seekers that entered Europe from Asia and Africa.
Deport the fuckers - every last one of them; at least all who won't piss on the Quran, and the Prophet to boot.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Ignore the Cloverfield tweet.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I don't know if it's good or bad that my last RW video comment got zero traction.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
Not endorsement, just noting gasoline being poured on the fire. Interesting that The Blaze didn't describe the Am Coll Peds until the end of the article, possibly the better to get people riled up (?). I hadn't noticed till Steers' post below that TFA had had a post on this last week.
Steersman wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:From near the end of her open letter:

Not that I want you to give a medical diagnosis or anything like that [ ;-) ], but I'm curious what your views might be on that underlined portion of Dreger's quote. The reason I ask is that "Eve" (a transwoman, apparently) over at a Patheos thread kind of objected to similar quote from Dreger in a comment of mine:
Eve wrote:It's almost funny how sadly irrelevant the entire first half of this is. Intersex children, more and more, are being given the right to choose what feels most comfortable to them instead of having a doctor decide when they're born. As far as I'm aware, there is no transgender child that has ever undergone any surgical procedure regarding treatment for their dysphoria - it is required that you be an adult. Hormonally, the only medication ever given out is a puberty blocker - which delays or stops puberty until the child is older and can choose exactly what they want to do later.
I was going to refer to the depressing if not egregious case of David Reimer but thought it likely to be anomalous at best. So, are you aware or know of any such surgeries on transgender children? I took a look in a related article in Wikipedia (gender dysphoria, I think) but didn't see anything conclusive.
I don't treat kids, but my understanding is that surgery for gender dysphoria isn't done before age of consent (18 in US), see for example here. I know less about surgery for intersex conditions, but from Wikipedia:
....Timing of surgery (infancy, adolescence or adult age) has been controversial, associated with issues of consent.

Intersex surgery is increasingly recognized as a human rights issue. Intersex organizations, and human rights institutions increasingly question the basis and necessity of surgical intervention. .... In 2015, the Council of Europe recognized, for the first time, a right for intersex persons to not undergo sex assignment treatment and Malta became the first country to prohibit involuntary or coerced modifications to sex characteristics.
Seems like general issues include who decides whether (& what for) surgery is done on a child, and when (what age) a person can consent to elective surgery.