The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
Matt Cavanaugh

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Interestingly, a search on Google for "Trigglypuff" came up empty, while on Yahoo it hit the jackpot.

Not the first time this sort of thing has happened.

Guest_df4fcc85

Post by Guest_df4fcc85 »

Fwiw Matt, even with personalized results turned off, I am seeing "177,000" results.

i.imgur.com/ZuNOYPb.png

(USA, Pacific Northwest)

Based Mom is there too, saying, maybe we should layoff triggles. That may be reasonable, contrary to Big Red, this seems to be triggles only known public tantrum.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

In other news, Jerry Coyne's latest:

It’s time to release the “Twenty-Eight Pages” about Saudi Arabia’s involvment in the 9/11 attacks

Related thereto, and in the one-picture-worth-a-thousand-words category:

Guest_dade8116

Post by Guest_dade8116 »

To bad about John, i really hoped his situation would improve.

I'm also saddened by the fact that Gabbo was gay enough to flounce the Pit before he could cover the carrier/benson incident. And the Orbit...it would fit so nicely in his Great Schism series.

/ Immanuel K as guest

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Interestingly, a search on Google for "Trigglypuff" came up empty, while on Yahoo it hit the jackpot.

Goofball gives me 155,000 hits.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Lsuoma wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Interestingly, a search on Google for "Trigglypuff" came up empty, while on Yahoo it hit the jackpot.

Goofball gives me 155,000 hits.

I just got aboot 182,000.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

So of course they found Trigglypuff's facebook. It doesn't have a lot of public stuff but I liked this.

http://i.imgur.com/3YLt52P.jpg

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

While they were 'courting' my father used to run his hand up my mothers leg and told her to 'whistle when you want me to stop.' My mother's raspberry-esque attempts to get out even a squeak amused him no end.
A few days after their wedding she came upstairs with his morning cup of tea whistling 'Daisy Daisy' at full throat.
At least that's the story I've heard every drunken Christmas night for the last 30-odd years.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Guest_df4fcc85 wrote:[youtube]BY1H1rZL53I[/youtube]

A literal lolcow.

No information as to what her handle is at shakesville.
She's a really good singer...

"Milo Who! A Remix! Featuring #TrigglyPuff"
[youtube]KCMJIGjWlPQ[/youtube]

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

In Australia, you can't register your car without a 'green slip' which is compulsory third party insurance - covering the suckers you hit while running a red light. Ie you only get the option of not covering your own car.

I assume something similar applies in sunny California no?

blitzem

Post by blitzem »

Google is up to 196,000 hits for the TrigglyPuff w/o the hashtag.

John D

Post by John D »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
screwtape wrote:
In one of Ian Fleming's James Books, I learned that gays can't whistle.

In fairness, I don't think I've ever heard a gay dude whistle. Least of all at me. I hate that our culture gives me the sadz about it ( H/T Jessica Valenti).
I can't whistle. :(
I whistle very well using three different techniques. Many people have complemented my whistling (so I think my self assessment is correct).

I am not gay

100% proof of the assertion!

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Tigzy wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote: I can't whistle. :(
Admit it - you tried just now to be sure, didn't you.
I have never been able to whistle despite several people trying to teach me.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Brive1987 wrote:In Australia, you can't register your car without a 'green slip' which is compulsory third party insurance - covering the suckers you hit while running a red light. Ie you only get the option of not covering your own car.

Yes but I don't know how strictly enforced it is in that state. For example in Alabama you just need to sign a slip of paper saying you are insured. They do random checks.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Tigzy wrote:

[youtube]u7yUO3q8QfE[/youtube]

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Billie from Ockham wrote:[.img]http://imgur.com/czAvMUy.jpg[/img]

California is not a no-fault state. As I wrote yesterday, most driver's-side T-bones involve someone running a stop-sign or red light. This could get fun.

:popcorn:
I'm also going to double down on my "Adam's either 90% guilty or 90% innocent" pitch.

And I will extend this to say that if he had right of way Becky-boo would have gone 100% innocent without the umming and ahhhing we got on the video.

Ergo 90% guilty. Think I'll join you :popcorn:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

comhcinc wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:In Australia, you can't register your car without a 'green slip' which is compulsory third party insurance - covering the suckers you hit while running a red light. Ie you only get the option of not covering your own car.

Yes but I don't know how strictly enforced it is in that state. For example in Alabama you just need to sign a slip of paper saying you are insured. They do random checks.
Gotta love America. Even when a 'requirement' can be simply enforced you find a way to celebrate "Don't tread on me".

John D

Post by John D »

comhcinc wrote:

In Michigan you can't get your annual license plate renewed without proof of insurance. The thing is that some people cancel their insurance as soon as they get the tabs. Michigan has a high rate on non-insured even though it is required.

We are a no-fault state so the lawyers have very few cases here. It does make things very simple so I really like it for that reason. My daughters totaled three cars in the last two years (only one was their fault)...but... the process here is very easy compared to other states.

I did read that we pay more than any other state for car insurance however... but if it keeps you out of court I think it is worth it.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Tigzy wrote:Further evidence, if it were needed, that Hollywood stars are completely out of touch with reality. http://www.newsdaily27.com/portsmouth-e ... ful-women/

Hint: I'm a skate. Dude has never been through Guildhall Walk on a weekend night. Still, can't really blame him for that.
So you think that BP has never experienced 'The Hard' ?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Shit just hit the fan. Oxford, Alabama passes birth-sex WC use ordinance. A Target store is located there.

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews ... 32.pdf.pdf

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

John D wrote:
comhcinc wrote:

In Michigan you can't get your annual license plate renewed without proof of insurance. The thing is that some people cancel their insurance as soon as they get the tabs. Michigan has a high rate on non-insured even though it is required.

We are a no-fault state so the lawyers have very few cases here. It does make things very simple so I really like it for that reason. My daughters totaled three cars in the last two years (only one was their fault)...but... the process here is very easy compared to other states.

I did read that we pay more than any other state for car insurance however... but if it keeps you out of court I think it is worth it.

What I discribed is only a couple of years old too. Before that all it took was a verbal affirmative response.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

In California, you are required to carry proof of auto insurance with you when driving.

Illegal aliens can now get CA driver's licenses, but few get insurance. I know three people personally who've been hit by an illegal (one whose husband died) and had no recourse for compensation.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

MarcusAu wrote:
Tigzy wrote:Further evidence, if it were needed, that Hollywood stars are completely out of touch with reality. http://www.newsdaily27.com/portsmouth-e ... ful-women/

Hint: I'm a skate. Dude has never been through Guildhall Walk on a weekend night. Still, can't really blame him for that.
So you think that BP has never experienced 'The Hard' ?
Even more surprised that he didn't experience Wecock Farm.

John D

Post by John D »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Shit just hit the fan. Oxford, Alabama passes birth-sex WC use ordinance. A Target store is located there.

Looks pretty reasonable to me. :popcorn:

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Shit just hit the fan. Oxford, Alabama passes birth-sex WC use ordinance. A Target store is located there.

It does have a Target and this might actually affect someone because Oxford is right on Hwy 20 and next to the Talladega National Forest.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

The thing that always throws a kind into the stuff is the "sex you are born as shown on a birth certificate" In many states that can be changed.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

I love Alabama. There's a typo in the second sentence of the ordinance.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

John D wrote:

Looks pretty reasonable to me. :popcorn:
But the person who drafted it appears somewhat illiterate:
The City Council finds that its citizens have a right to quite solicitude and to be secure from embarrassment and unwanted intrusion into their privacy while utilizing multiple occupancy bathroom or changing facilities by members of the opposite biological sex.
We should be glad they didn't say "it's" I suppose.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Bastard Ninja///

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Guest_df4fcc85 wrote:Fwiw Matt, even with personalized results turned off, I am seeing "177,000" results.

i.imgur.com/ZuNOYPb.png

(USA, Pacific Northwest)

Based Mom is there too, saying, maybe we should layoff triggles. That may be reasonable, contrary to Big Red, this seems to be triggles only known public tantrum.
Why does Hoff Sommers insist on saying "coming up next on The Factual Feminist" in the intro to her videos? It's not like there's a commercial break coming.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Steersman wrote:In other news, Jerry Coyne's latest:

It’s time to release the “Twenty-Eight Pages” about Saudi Arabia’s involvment in the 9/11 attacks

Related thereto, and in the one-picture-worth-a-thousand-words category:
The Saudi-sponsored wahabites are one of the biggest threats to democracy and world peace.

If the US were serious about their fight against terrorism they should have attacked Saudi Arabia, not Iraq.

Malky

Post by Malky »

In that Ordinance what on Earth does this mean?

"...places of increased venerability"...

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
So jimthepleb's dad didn't know when to stop as he ran his hand up your thigh? :think:

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Malky wrote:In that Ordinance what on Earth does this mean?

As a older male who just had a full physical, I would assume that this is when you drop trou', turn around, and put your elbows on the table, but note that my GP is a woman, so this clearly didn't happen in Alabama.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

A post by Jerry Coyne about Malia Bouattia, the new president of the National Union of Students:
Malia Bouattia wrote:“The notion of resistance has been perhaps washed out of our understanding of how colonised people will obtain their physical emancipation…With mainstream, Zionist-led media outlets …resistance is presented as an act of terrorism.

. . . To consider that Palestine will be free only by means of fundraising, non-violent protest and the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement is problematic… My issue is that whilst at time it’s tactically used, or presented as the non-violent option, it can be misunderstood as the alternative to resistance by the Palestinian people…”
Bouattia, for those who don't remember it, refused to support a motion which condemned ISIS in 2014 because it was "islamophobic". Back in 2014 Bouattia was only the president of the Black Student section of the National Union of Students.

Coyne has written about her before.
The Chronicle wrote:The warning signs have been there for years for all to see. It was Malia Bouattia who led the charge at the NUS to block a motion that sought to condemn ISIS and show solidarity to the Kurds fighting them, because it was deemed “Islamophobic.”

At this same meeting the NUS did pass a motion to boycott UKIP, and agreed to email every student in the country on polling day telling them to do likewise. Thus, in a sign of the terrible times in which we live, Britain’s student leadership found it easier to condemn UKIP than ISIS.

. . In 2011 Ms Bouattia co-authored a blog which lists a “large Jewish society” – by which she now insists she meant “Zionists” – as being one of the challenges at Birmingham University. But she even considers the UK government’s beleaguered Prevent strategy against extremism to be a result of the ‘Zionist lobby’.

Her bid for president was endorsed by the Muslim Public Affairs Committee (MPACUK), a group that has been banned by the NUS since 2004 after publishing material on its website originally published on neo-Nazi and Holocaust Denial websites, as well as their own post entitled “Take your holocaust, roll it nice and tight and shove it up your (be creative)!” MPACUK’s endorsement of her candidacy would be less concerning if she hadn’t appeared to welcome it, by replying “Thank you :-))”.

The new NUS president insists her concerns revolve around Zionism, not Judaism, and that her arguments are political, not faith based. But in an atmosphere in which the far-left and far-right are competing for people’s increased anger, is it any surprise that the same conference that saw her elected president applauded a speaker who argued that the NUS should not commemorate Holocaust Memorial Day, because “it’s not inclusive.”
The National Union of Students is lead by someone who finds it easier to condemn the UKIP than ISIS, and who supports terrorism as a viable mean to fight for some causes.

Michael J

Post by Michael J »

Green slips just cover people getting hurt not cars doesn't it? We had to get 3rd party property for my son.

Michael

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

In other news the Chinese have just invented a proto-Dalek, what could possibly go wrong. :(

[youtube]pFPwrC6Mba8[/youtube]

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Michael J wrote:

Green slips just cover people getting hurt not cars doesn't it? We had to get 3rd party property for my son.

Michael
You are right. I am ashamed. I hope my flight goes down. But thank you.

Goes to prove I just pay NRMA everything they ask for without knowing a damn about what I am buying.

So, abashed, yes it appears that dude you hit could come after you if you didn't have at fault insurance.

:oops:

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Malky wrote:In that Ordinance what on Earth does this mean?

Respected extra specially.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Lsuoma wrote: We should be glad they didn't say "it's" I suppose.
And no one begged the question.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Here's an upbeat suicide song by Hollywood Undead. Just because.

[youtube]lP077RitNAc[/youtube]

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

MarcusAu wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:
I love Franz Josef.

http://www.westcoast.co.nz/content/imag ... _Josef.jpg

Southern Hemisphere - Represent!
Unfortunately it has retreated a hell of a lot since I worked down there in the 90's.

Michael J

Post by Michael J »

Brive1987 wrote:
Michael J wrote:

Michael
You are right. I am ashamed. I hope my flight goes down. But thank you.

Goes to prove I just pay NRMA everything they ask for without knowing a damn about what I am buying.

So, abashed, yes it appears that dude you hit could come after you if you didn't have at fault insurance.

:oops:
Third party property is useless as well. My son had an accident which we don't think was his fault. It wasn't cut and dried though and the police weren't called. The other driver told his insurance company that it was my sons fault. I told our insurance company that we thought our son was in the right. The problem is that for 3rd party they will pay for the other car if you admit fault otherwise you are on your own (Of which we would have had to pay the initial $1k).

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Tigzy wrote:
screwtape wrote:
Suet Cardigan wrote:Trigglypuff art:
0exoyZO.png
Only guys get red elbows (don't ask me how :oops: I learnt it from Martin Amis in The Rachel Papers), so Trigglypuff must be a trans-something as well.
In one of Ian Fleming's James Books, I learned that gays can't whistle.
The Man With the Golden Gun. I think the same chapter describes the mating habits of circus elephants.

welch

Post by welch »

d4m10n wrote:
Oglebart wrote:
ERV wrote: Also that Morehead shit is funny ass shit and I can't appreciate it because I'm so upset. Jesus Christ organized atheism is a fucking scam! Christ!
So true, almost like organised religion really. Humans eh?
Zvan weighs in

Zvain REALLY weighing in:
zvanzilla!.gif
(731.01 KiB) Downloaded 310 times

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

Who would have thought that homophobes would be on the 'right side of history' well it is the 'current year' I guess.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3553719

welch

Post by welch »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: We should be glad they didn't say "it's" I suppose.
And no one begged the question.
But what does Pinker think?

HelpingHand

Post by HelpingHand »

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/28/opinions/ ... index.html

Our old friend 78 cents on the dollar shows up, but I really liked number 5 -- poor women have to pay higher lifetime health costs in large part due to living longer. Yes, they found a way to make more life be a downside.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Brive1987 wrote:
comhcinc wrote:

Gotta love America. Even when a 'requirement' can be simply enforced you find a way to celebrate "Don't tread on me".
They need to get with the Cantonese way of doing things. Driving without insurance is an automatic 1 year loss of licence, not just for you but the person that owns the car. If you hit anything while uninsured it also carries a maximum sentence of 5 years in jail, for driver and owner.

Although in the USA I guess that would be discrimination and oppressive.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Scented Nectar wrote:
Guest_df4fcc85 wrote:[youtube]BY1H1rZL53I[/youtube]

A literal lolcow.

No information as to what her handle is at shakesville.
She's a really good singer...

"Milo Who! A Remix! Featuring #TrigglyPuff"
[youtube]KCMJIGjWlPQ[/youtube]
Haha. It's restricted in my country due to copyright. How ironic.

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

comhcinc wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote: I have never been able to whistle despite several people trying to teach me.

[youtube]u7yUO3q8QfE[/youtube]

[youtube]HJ9P4dUKXYo[/youtube]

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Cnutella wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote: I have never been able to whistle despite several people trying to teach me.

[yootube]u7yUO3q8QfE[/youtube]

[yootube]HJ9P4dUKXYo[/youtube]

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

KiwiInOz wrote:Here's an upbeat suicide song by Hollywood Undead. Just because.

[youtube]lP077RitNAc[/youtube]
Nice one, anteater guy.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

I'm not up on US car insurance, and all, so is it possible Watson is going to lose some of her dope money?

A couple of hundred dollars will make me hard.
A couple of thousand....well, I'll leave that to your imaginations, Pit Crew.

Guest_84d94f98

Post by Guest_84d94f98 »

CommanderTuvok wrote:I'm not up on US car insurance, and all, so is it possible Watson is going to lose some of her dope money?
A couple of hundred dollars will make me hard.
A couple of thousand....well, I'll leave that to your imaginations, Pit Crew.
Car insurance has deductibles. The higher the deductible, the cheaper the insurance, but the more money out of pocket you would have to pay before insurance kicks in for a repair.

So somewhere between $200-$2,000. I am going to guess she had a $500 deductible.

And since her car was relatively new and she probably bought it with a loan, she probably had comprehensive insurance. This essentially pays out the full value of her car loan if the car gets wrecked.

And her insurance probably will cover the cost of the other person's wrecked car (assuming Adam is deemed at fault), unless it is an extremely expensive luxury car over $25,000-$50,000.

Then there are medical bills. Some of her coverage would cover some of the victim's medical bills, but only to a point. If this person goes full 'Better Call Saul' he could claim hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills, and pain & suffering. Anything over the insurance's coverage would come out of Adam's ass.

Guest_84d94f98

Post by Guest_84d94f98 »

I think the biggest ticket item that Becca is looking at is that she will need to come up with a 20% down payment for another car.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

KiwiInOz wrote:Here's an upbeat suicide song by Hollywood Undead. Just because.

[.youtube]lP077RitNAc[/youtube]
Good one. Too good not to share. I see Aoife is in similar torment. Only her friend was acrimoniously cut from her life two years ago.

But still.

I've passed along the cheer.

Couch

Post by Couch »

Feeling a little flat about the JG situation, and like some sort of grief-intruder to an extent; as many of you knew John with some degree of familiarity and interacted with him years before I encountered him here .

And I can't shake some guilts: Someone a few days back mentioned noticing a bunch of their useless, unused, expensive shite lying around and wondering whether a few more shekels JG's way mightn't have altered the outcome. I don't think, all things considered, that is a valid, rational calculus but, of course, its an entirely understandable reaction; and one which I've had.

Even though I'm middle-aged and was an early adopter of computers and the internet, I avoided online life for 15 years and the Pit is first place I've had any online existence, to speak of. My involvement probably appears haphazard, but I read almost every day - sad to say I've probably actually read 99% of what has been posted here since mid-2012. Only once did I not manage to go back and catch up, and that was probably only two weeks worth of posts.

I'm the better for it. I've learned a lot, had cherished beliefs challenged, validated and overturned in succession; and if, in the course of events, I've become unreasonably fond of you cunts and cuntesses, well I'm not apologising for that.

Farewell to John Greg and long may this very unsafe space persist.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

It really is classic SZvan isn't it? Self appointed Stasi.
I chose to share what I had learned with a fairly small group of other people. The main distinguishing characteristics of this group were that they had outsized influence
But more worrying:
I wish I could talk to the children directly.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Brive1987 wrote:It really is classic SZvan isn't it? Self appointed Stasi.
I chose to share what I had learned with a fairly small group of other people. The main distinguishing characteristics of this group were that they had outsized influence
But more worrying:
I wish I could talk to the children directly.

Because that is just what they need. To be grilled but some random cunt.