The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
welch

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by welch »

HunnyBunny wrote:I have no idea what to say. My SJW daughter has messaged me for the first time since the Paris attacks. No introduction, apology, hi how you doing. Straight in with a purity test , ' what are your views on the French Burkha law?'.

I hate regressive left dogma with a passion. But I love my daughter more. More than enough to lie, or too much that I can't lie?
"Very little. I don't actually live in France, so I've no real idea of the current political/cultural issues there. Said knowledge would be kind of required for an informed opinion as opposed to talking out of my ass. Since I dislike talking out of my ass, I don't have any sort of views/opinions on a law I know nothing of substance about."

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

jimhabegger wrote:Has anyone here seen or felt any adverse effects of white men being demonized in popular thinking, on yourself or on people around you including children, and if so, how have you coped with it or helped others cope with it?

I've been looking at how it has affected me, and all I'm seeing is that on some rare occasions, I've felt an impulse to apologize for being a white person or for being a man, and/or I've felt inhibited about saying or doing some things I wanted to say or do.

How I've coped with is that I haven't, because it has never troubled me much.

My wife and I have mentored some boys and young men, and that might possibly have helped them cope with being demonized in popular thinking, but we weren't doing anything explicitly for that at the time, or even thinking about it.
I troll people in real life. So I have no issue confronting people over this. Sometimes this results in a bunch of people shaking their fists at me and shouting.

*shrug*

I start smirking at them which for some reason does not exactly calm things down. I am prepared for things to get physical, but so far it never has.

Erm ... my best advise is to not do this. When it gets to a fight things can go south very quickly and your best bet is to not get into a fight at all.

welch

Post by welch »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
HunnyBunny wrote:I have no idea what to say. My SJW daughter has messaged me for the first time since the Paris attacks. No introduction, apology, hi how you doing. Straight in with a purity test , ' what are your views on the French Burkha law?'.

I hate regressive left dogma with a passion. But I love my daughter more. More than enough to lie, or too much that I can't lie?
My take on this is this.

Fuck that stupid law. Governments should not have the power to tell people their face has to be uncovered just so their fucking cameras can record you.
Fuck that shit. People should not be allowed to roam the streets with their face covered so they can commit any kind of crime in full anonymity.
Because the cops are so good at catching them otherwise.

welch

Post by welch »

Sunder wrote:I mean I'm not a hardcore libertarian by any means. I'm pro-gun control for instance. But I'm not convinced that head coverings are anywhere near as big a social concern as guns. If I'm wrong and there are stats that contradict this I'm open to changing my position.

I'm broadly against the surveillance state, however. Nor do I think a person needs any more justification to wear a piece of clothing than to have a tattoo.
Anonymity is the number one factor in crime. Look at how polite the internet got as more sites banned anonymous comments.

welch

Post by welch »

Guest_df4fcc85 wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Sunder wrote: Probably everyone but me knows already but as someone who's tried to pay as little attention as possible to the primary season what in the fuck are liberal progressives mad at Sanders over? I get why shallow SJW types would prefer the woman over the old white man (even if Hillary is also white and old), but I don't get how they could be so stupid as to go Trump-style character assassin on someone with an inarguably more progressive track record.

Fuck, are there any Hillary supporters who think Sanders might at least be a good veep choice?
Sanders on the ticket would hurt HRC in the general election.

Sanders is an independent running in the Dem primary. He's attacked HRC on her character more than on her positions, most notably saying she's "unfit" for the office. He's clearly going to lose the nomination, so a loyal party member would throttle back on the personal invective. He hasn't. Also, many of his supporters are spoiled little brats, who've convinced themselves they're on this transformative revolution quest, and would rather burn the whole place down than go with a typical moderate Dem nominee.
Alternatively, if you look at Sanders, you just might recognize that Hillary is bought and paid for by Wall Street, spouts social justice nonsense, uses being a woman as a shield, spouts pay gap and other bullshit, flips flops twice each day and never has a non poll tested position, and is just a same old same old Democratic corporatarian who will do little for the people she most claims to represent and nothing for anyone else. Plus, there's a likely indictment on the horizon (or there should be.)

She keeps her wall street speech transcripts far more securely than her emails.

If the Democratic Party can't promote a solid electable candidate whose good on the positions and demonstrates integrity, well fuck them.

Every election, if we don't vote for our evil, we will all go to hell with their evil. Not only is that nonsense but it encourages the production of shitty corrupt candidates. When your dog poops the bed you don't encourage it. Why encourage the Democratic Party when they've pooped the bed with Hillary?
HRC has already set everyone up for her literally accomplishing almost nothing and then calling it a success because progress happens in inches. All she has to do is get *any* bill passed that shows *any* form of progress and she's met her campaign promises. Shit, if she gets a bill passed that raises the minimum wage to $9 an hour, she's met her stated goals.

The average middle and lower-class families will see no difference under her than they have the last three presidents.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

screwtape wrote:
deLurch wrote:
Shatterface wrote:[youtube]Ch7N7KCn778[/youtube]
Was the show any good?
It was wonderful to a teenager at the time. Take the world you knew, and reduce it to you and a few other survivors. As with all apocalyptic stories, as soon as the original premise had been worked it degenerated into all the normal stories of the day.
The first series had a strong female lead, Abby, played by Carolyn Seymour, without the BBC feeling the need to call a press conference about it. Unfortunately there was a disagreement between Seymour and the producer, who gave her the boot at the end of series one.

Also, Terry Nation, who created the show, left and his vision for the show was that the situation should continue to deteriorate as supplies run out and people would become more savage. The end of his novelization has the few survivors fleeing Britain for a warmer climate, most having starved, and Abby being shot by the son she has spent the novel looking for, and who no longer recognises her.

On TV she finds her son and they live happily ever after; the other survivors start a community indistinguishable from the hippie communes of the time.

What starts off as a story about the collapse of civilisation ala Earth Abides or The Death of Grass turns into a drop-out fantasy about how great the world would be without motor cars and income tax.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

AndrewV69 wrote:
jimhabegger wrote:Has anyone here seen or felt any adverse effects of white men being demonized in popular thinking, on yourself or on people around you including children, and if so, how have you coped with it or helped others cope with it?
I troll people in real life. So I have no issue confronting people over this.
You mean, when you see people demonizing white men, you argue with them about it. That's funny, it hadn't crossed my mind to do that!

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

Sunder wrote:Bernie has swallowed some of the long-disseminated SJW misinformation, but his policies are still broadly class conscious. On much the same way Trump's nationalism while hewing to distasteful elements appeals to many people because it bypasses his party's typical obsession with free trade at any cost and makes middle class Americans think they have a shot at jot getting screwed for once.
I don't get how Trump can appeal, I really don't. He claims to be a billionaire, yet runs the sordid Trump Uni upselling scam, is so thin skinned and sue happy its painful. His demeanour is repulsively slimy to me. As for the successful businessman spiel, its claimed that he is in fact worth less than the amount of money he inherited. He's a gaffe prone joke. I don't get it. He's a blatant huckster.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

I prefer anonymous assholes to safe spaces and the enabling of IRL reprisals.

And as already been pointed out, a law banning face coverings isn't going to stop criminals wearing them. There's not even a way to regulate their ownership in the same way as firearms.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Sunder wrote:I mean I'm not a hardcore libertarian by any means. I'm pro-gun control for instance. But I'm not convinced that head coverings are anywhere near as big a social concern as guns. If I'm wrong and there are stats that contradict this I'm open to changing my position.

I'm broadly against the surveillance state, however. Nor do I think a person needs any more justification to wear a piece of clothing than to have a tattoo.
I have zero problem with things like street cameras for video surveillance. I'm of the opinion that it's mostly people who perform or want to perform unlawful acts who are against it. The right to privacy doesn't apply in public places (except for bathrooms and changerooms, but let's not get this one started again).

Now, I'm not saying this out of the blue or out of a wish for a totalitarian, 1984-like surveillance state, but out of my own experiences and more general statistics. Monaco, where Ali works, is over-controlled with police presence and street cameras. The level of crime in public spaces there is ridiculously low. I can leave my scooter unchained anywhere in Monaco and not see it vanish, which is not the case in Beausoleil, where my last scooter was stolen twenty years ago just one street away from Monaco.

I'll finish later, time for diner.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

jimhabegger wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
I troll people in real life. So I have no issue confronting people over this.
You mean, when you see people demonizing white men, you argue with them about it. That's funny, it hadn't crossed my mind to do that!
Seeing as I pass as a sand nigger that seems to have some sort of effect too.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

welch wrote:
Because the cops are so good at catching them otherwise.
I am not a give up personal freedoms for the cops type of person.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Sunder wrote:I prefer anonymous assholes to safe spaces and the enabling of IRL reprisals.

And as already been pointed out, a law banning face coverings isn't going to stop criminals wearing them. There's not even a way to regulate their ownership in the same way as firearms.

There is a difference too. I get the idea of not wanting guns everywhere because some one may get upset and use the gun in a moment of passion.

I have never heard of a person deciding to rob a place in a moment of passion

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
Sunder wrote:Bernie has swallowed some of the long-disseminated SJW misinformation, but his policies are still broadly class conscious. On much the same way Trump's nationalism while hewing to distasteful elements appeals to many people because it bypasses his party's typical obsession with free trade at any cost and makes middle class Americans think they have a shot at jot getting screwed for once.
I don't get how Trump can appeal, I really don't. He claims to be a billionaire, yet runs the sordid Trump Uni upselling scam, is so thin skinned and sue happy its painful. His demeanour is repulsively slimy to me. As for the successful businessman spiel, its claimed that he is in fact worth less than the amount of money he inherited. He's a gaffe prone joke. I don't get it. He's a blatant huckster.
As I said, it all comes down to his nationalistic angle. For me, it's not even close to enough to overcome his negatives, but he's promoting the sort of protectionist trade policies that really ought to be coming from a Dem were New Deal Dems not a dead and buried faction.

Really though, even though I think he's a shit person I'm not nearly as panicked by the possibility that he might win as many are, because I just don't see a fractured Republican party ever lining up to support him. Trump would be a lame duck in his first and only term nd possibly buy us some time to find some less shit candidates.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Jenny McDermott apparently got swatted (or her neighbor did at least). It should me mentioned that she was one of dumbasses that was behind the letter that tried to get Tf00t fired and also made allegations he was a nazi sympathizer/ holocaust denier that was sent to the police in the Czech Republic where he works and that is illegal. She also made allegations that another youtuber was a rapist, when it was clear that was BS.
[youtube]qik_QxTDz3g[/youtube]
It appears that she was swatted by a flat out random troll who enjoys swatting people.
https://archive.is/R5Yw9

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Guest_df4fcc85 wrote: shetterly.blogspot.com/2016/05/identitarian-classism-oxford-student.html
Identitarian classism: Oxford student refuses to tip waitress because she is white
Oxford student behind Rhodes Must Fall campaign says he refused to tip waitress because she is white | Daily Mail Online

ETA: If you wonder whether Ntokozo Qwabe is a privileged Oxford student, the Obz Cafe doesn't look cheap. There's something especially obnoxious about rich kids not tipping the servants.

ETA 2: Tip the "Ntokozo Qwabe" Waitress by Ernst Shea-Kruger - GoFundMe Worth visiting just to read the privileged kid's version of the story.
Because being a cunt to a waitress is the best way to deal with racial issues. Ayup.

Also, it was a "non-binary trans" who started the whole thing. Why is it always the trans? And what the hell is a "non-binary" trans? Someone who has invented a third gender?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Not for everyone for sure.

Anyway,

While I prefer the more traditional form I thought this version of Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring (JS Bach) by Celtic Woman was pretty good.
[youtube]iPeVIuRjUi4[/youtube]

Also as much as I am a fan of Anna Netrebko I lean towards this version of Pie Jesu
[youtube]qfN8j9r-jGQ[/youtube]
(this is the Andrew Loyd Webber version ... but I associate the original with a children's choir sung in church so perhaps that explains the preference )

Guest_df4fcc85

Post by Guest_df4fcc85 »

Pie lesu domine dona eis requiem.
[Thwack]

[Thwack]

[Thwack]

[Thwack]

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
The Trump is awesome, us conservatives are sick of the feminist/SJWs and the regressive left. I want a Donald victory so bad it will be painful if he doesn't win.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Guest_df4fcc85 wrote: shetterly.blogspot.com/2016/05/identitarian-classism-oxford-student.html
Identitarian classism: Oxford student refuses to tip waitress because she is white
Oxford student behind Rhodes Must Fall campaign says he refused to tip waitress because she is white | Daily Mail Online

ETA: If you wonder whether Ntokozo Qwabe is a privileged Oxford student, the Obz Cafe doesn't look cheap. There's something especially obnoxious about rich kids not tipping the servants.

ETA 2: Tip the "Ntokozo Qwabe" Waitress by Ernst Shea-Kruger - GoFundMe Worth visiting just to read the privileged kid's version of the story.

Hope the entitled little shit enjoys havin their food spit in from now on.( maybe even worse)

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Sunder wrote:

If you don't tip, fuck you. If you write some smarmy bullshit in place of a tip, double fuck you. It's fuckery when some Christian shithead does it and it's fuckery when some snotty rich kid does it. I hope everyone hears about this and spits in your food for the rest of your life, shithead.
[youtube]iWNGeBsd3Dc[/youtube]

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

deLurch wrote:
It appears that she was swatted by a flat out random troll who enjoys swatting people.
https://archive.is/R5Yw9
I'm sure it had nothing to do with her fucking around with the 8chan/baphomet crew. :drool:

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

German researchers devised a study, in which 900 workers were paid to solve maze puzzles.

Each worker set their own terms of payment, from an identical menu of options: gender-discrimination was impossible.

Women paid themselves 23% less than men.

https://translate.google.de/translate?s ... edit-text=

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:I married when she was 27 (I was 23) and she is now PM.

Despite natural changes, she is still the woman I wed. I think we have different concepts in mind.
Touché.
That was yesterday. But now we have todays reality. :violin:

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Sunder wrote: I have my issue with Sanders supporters as well, especially a sanctimonious prick like Peez who thinks it's alright for him to vote his conscience in favor of a loser candidate, but heaps derision on anyone voicing their desire to vote Green if Hillary is the Dem nominee.

The common theme is fuck your principles, kiss this woman's ass.
What annoys me is the hypocrisy of Sanders supporters, many of whom were the same ones insisting on "Party Unity™" in 2008, and who supported obama again in 2012, after he'd proven himself every bit as bad, if not worse, in the ways they now find intolerable about Hillary.

Steersman

Re: Steersman.

Post by Steersman »

Aneris wrote:A reply to Steersman. ….
Nice icon you've selected to key the conversation – biological hazard marker? ;-)
Aneris wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Aneris wrote:This is getting entirely silly. There are no essences or quasi-essences, but there are laws of nature that produce patterns. ....

Not quite sure who all of that was for but I kind of think you're looking at it from the wrong end of the telescope, are using the wrong metric, or insist on putting the cart before the horse. Consider the view of taxonomy:
Taxonomy (from Ancient Greek: τάξις taxis, "arrangement", and -νομία -nomia, "method"[1]) is the science of defining groups of biological organisms on the basis of shared characteristics and giving names to those groups. ....
The characteristics come first and determines the definitions - in this case, those who produce ova and those who don't; a binary classification - which then becomes "essential" to the definition. Kind of surpised to see you trying to characterize my argument as one of
1) Obviously, laws of nature come first in my version, too. You then go on and write much of the same. Where exactly do you believe the "cart is before the horse"?
I think we agree on many points – analogy as the “core of cognition”, Hofstadter, map-territory, etc – but periodically go off the rails on details (cf, devils, found therein) and focus and nuance. Or on not reading carefully enough.

More specifically, I think, using the language of taxonomy, that you’re putting the cart of the “supergroup” in front of the horse of the primary attributes that define the subgroups of “lower rank”. Which, generally speaking, apparently means that as you go to lower and lower subgroups you have fewer and fewer attributes to deal with, and which frequently resolve into binary classes (e.g., AT, CG) – digital logic FTW. But you are, apparently, insisting on defining the class “woman” by including under that rubric every last attribute that has ever correlated in any degree with the attribute “produces ova”. I wonder whether you entirely reject the common dictionary definition of “female human” for “woman”.

But, since you seem not to have read much of that article on taxonomy, allow me to quote another salient portion:
Taxonomy has been called "the world's oldest profession",[18] and naming and classifying our surroundings has likely been taking place as long as mankind has been able to communicate. It would always have been important to know the names of poisonous and edible plants and animals in order to communicate this information to other members of the family or group.
Apart from wondering whether prostitutes might object to a challenge to their own claim to that title, I think that illustrates both the hoary provenance of the process, and the fact that binary classifications – edible versus poisonous – are integral to it. And that “supergroups” are then built out of and on top of those primary ones – not the other way around.
Aneris wrote:2) You mention some characteristics as more important than others, see "membership" in your "Rotarian essentialism", whereas I wrote of graded categorisation where some properties are deemed more central than others. Again, where do you disagree? The general direction is the same, but your version is subtly false. Psychologists and cognitive scientists assume graded categories ….
I agree that there are, analogously, fuzzy sets or fuzzy categories, but my point was that there are also binary ones: Boolean logic for one, those who produce ova and those who don’t for another. That “psychologists and cognitive scientists assume graded categories” hardly precludes mathematicians and physicists and engineers [go/no-go gauges] and logicians and digital equipment designers and lexicographers and taxonomists from using binary ones.

While “graded categorization” certainly has its place, I think that that is, frequently at least, only the beginning of the process, that it should be followed by questioning which attribute among the set exhibits the highest degree of correlation with all of the others. And while, of course, correlation is not necessarily causation, it is often enough the case to justify the effort. Which was the purpose of my reference to the science or technique of principal component analysis, i.e., finding which component exhibits the greatest degree of correlation with all others – the article has an interesting example of that on “Y-STR haplotypes”.

And I made a bit of a stab at trying to illustrate that with a previous comment (Post 33966) which tried to model the concept of race. It shows that, depending on which component you accept as the primary or defining attribute, the population can cluster into different size groups which might then suggest an important causative factor.
Aneris wrote:3) You have sidestepped the difficult part: How humans construct categories and what makes them to rethink them. You believe people learn by dictionary, which is evidently false. ….
Certainly an interesting if not fascinating question as to how “humans construct categories”. If you’re interested in a neurological perspective on that, I’d recommend The Cerebral Code by William H. Calvin, particularly as he focuses on the “cortical pattern-copying mechanisms [that] seem capable of generating new categories”.

But your insistence that I “believe people learn by dictionary” isn’t particularly accurate and kind of looks like a bit of a strawman. Dictionaries are presumably and apparently the final result of a long process over millennia of people, as you put it, making “consistent perceptions about the world, which activate categories” which are then codified, tested, refined and recorded so other people generally don’t have to repeat the same process – “people who don’t learn from the mistakes of the past … etc”. And one of those (binary) categories is comprised of those who produce ova and those who don’t – i.e., females (“women” in the human category), and non-females, most of whom are males (“men” in the human category).
Aneris wrote:5) The platonist/steersman philsopher has it backwards: you would now conclude that there was an essence that must reside within entities to bestow them Abbie-hood, but that is false.
You’re not reading closely enough. Or you’re so focused on your own way of looking at things that you’re incapable of recognizing, or unwilling to even try to do so, that there are other ways of looking at things that might make more sense or that are more useful. Heliocentrism versus geocentrism, aliasing, spinning dancers, etc.

“Woman” is not a thing, it’s an abstraction, a map, the name for a class or group of humans that exhibit certain attributes. To be a woman is to manifest or possess a certain attribute in the same way that to be a Rotarian is to have paid an annual membership fee. Humans exhibit many attributes, many of which they share with other humans, and many of which they don’t, but we’re all more than any given collection of any subset of them. And while you can, if you wish though it’s not recommended, define the class “woman” to encompass everything under the sun, which is apparently the intent of many SJWs, if you do so it then becomes largely useless for anything (Matt’s point) – except maybe promoting animosity.

The only essentialism is in the definition of the class that exhibits an attribute, not the entitites who possess or manifest them; looks like you’re conflating map and territory.

Michael J

Post by Michael J »

deLurch wrote:

Don't bite at table scraps. If you play along with her SJW ideological game, she will use it to lead you around on that leash with on again-off again ideological tests for the rest of your time on earth or until she wises up.

Odds are somewhere in the back of her mind she is feeling bad for disowning your over silly shit. She wants to either get you to pander to her ideology and "come around" to her way of thinking, or reaffirm her stance.

When someone hands you a shit test, you don't play along. You don't take their test. I suggest not responding at all. Wait until she comes back with something more normal like "Hi, how are you doing?"

Time to reframe the issue from "You are a horrible bigoted mother who doesn't see things the SJW way" to "She is a horrible daughter who is off her rocker placing ideology before family and friends."
I agree don't play. I would just reply with "Hi how are you, I've missed you" and so forth. It's a sales technique I use, never directly answer a question that could cause the other side to end the call

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Service Dog wrote:German researchers devised a study, in which 900 workers were paid to solve maze puzzles.

Each worker set their own terms of payment, from an identical menu of options: gender-discrimination was impossible.

Internalized patriarchy. :bjarte:

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

feathers wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:I believe the real issue Steers is in persisting in your arguments way past the time you should have dropped them as unpersuasive. At least that is what I do at any rate.
But then again, I've just seen thirty pages on the dualist nature of bathrooms, propagating wholly without Steers' help.
Exactly. Looks to be a bit of a double standard in play. [Thanks.]

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

So, I've said my peace based on the realities of where I'm living. I fully understand some, if not most, will disagree with me on this.

And I'm totally fine with it (take notes, Steers).

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Sunder wrote: I have my issue with Sanders supporters as well, especially a sanctimonious prick like Peez who thinks it's alright for him to vote his conscience in favor of a loser candidate, but heaps derision on anyone voicing their desire to vote Green if Hillary is the Dem nominee.

The common theme is fuck your principles, kiss this woman's ass.
What annoys me is the hypocrisy of Sanders supporters, many of whom were the same ones insisting on "Party Unity[TRADE MARK SIGN]" in 2008, and who supported obama again in 2012, after he'd proven himself every bit as bad, if not worse, in the ways they now find intolerable about Hillary.
Considering how young Bernie's support base trends I don't think many of them were even of voting age two elections ago.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Brive1987 wrote: <snip>
Mate I am still on the shit list. Eventually I will find out how I offended. Once punishment is complete.
Unfortunately, In my experience this is something the majority of women tend to do.

This is after I ask what the matter is and the response is "nothing" in a tone of voice that clearly says the opposite.

Then I start reflecting that it was a mistake to treat women as adults, giving them the vote, etc. etc. etc. because of their childish emotion driven behavior.

For some reason this does not seem to go down well. :lol: :lol: :lol:
:-) Another stereotype heard from - or about. Though I might emphasize that while stereotypes can be remarkably accurate, that is generally only true of some segments of the given population - frequently somewhat bigoted to claim otherwise, to try to tar all for the "sins" of the few.

But it reminds me of a joke. Seems 3 guys - a doctor, a lawyer, and an engineer - were all chatting, as men are wont to do, about whether it was better to have a wife or a mistress. And the doctor argued persuasively for the former, and the lawyer for the latter, but the engineer insisted it was best to have both. And, on being challenged on that, he said, "well, with both, each of them will think that you're with the other, and you can then go to the shop and get some work done." :rimshot: :-)

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:So, I've said my peace based on the realities of where I'm living. I fully understand some, if not most, will disagree with me on this.

And I'm totally fine with it (take notes, Steers).
:) Different strokes and different folks. But while there are probably cases where live-and-let-live is the best policy, sometimes it is necessary argue for a particular course of action, preferably sooner than later:

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Steersman wrote: :) Different strokes and different folks. But while there are probably cases where live-and-let-live is the best policy, sometimes it is necessary argue for a particular course of action, preferably sooner than later:
No, that's not what I meant.

It is clear that my argument won't change hearts and minds. I myself think my argument is irrelevant outside of my limited geographical area and its societal situation. I don't see the need to push forward a localized argument on people who don't have the same everyday experiences as I have. I don't feel the need to argue, even if I do have some retorts to counter-arguments presented on the topic. Because my views apply mostly to my particular socio-political situation, not the one(s) of others posting here, who may have completely different socio-political situations.

Maybe we'll get back to the argument when it becomes relevant to the ones who disagree. Until then, it's pretty much useless to go on about it.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

PZ gets his facts about sociology form MTV bimbos that make youtube videos.
Did you know that not only are Caucasians all racists, but the term Caucasian is in itself racist?
https://archive.is/FVC3u
Interestingly, some of PZ's commenters point out flaws in the "facts" presented although no one comes out and points out how ridiculous the premise of the whole thing is.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Service Dog wrote:German researchers devised a study, in which 900 workers were paid to solve maze puzzles.

Internalized patriarchy. :bjarte:
My favorite detail is that-- in addition to paying themselves more-- the men also did more actual work.

The women correctly assessed their lesser value!

The same researchers-- women who are economists at University of Hamburg-- also conducted a very-different type of study:

They treated the re-unification of East & West Germany as a "natural experiment", noting that the East German pay gap had disappeared, but the West German pay gap had persisted. By surveying workers from both origins-- they learned that having-lived in the poor, communist East conditioned women to choose jobs Like A Man: prioritizing extrinstic rewards: 'high pay' and 'promotion opportunities'. While having lived in the rich, free West conditioned women to choose intrinsic rewards: jobs that were satisfying or a good-fit regardless of lower pay.

The pay gap is a product of freedom & prosperity, not oppression & poverty.

http://www.econstor.eu/bitstream/10419/ ... id_879.pdf

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Shatterface wrote:A suitable signifier for a doctor would be a monocle.

They tell everyone that you are a person who spends a great deal of time looking through microscopes, and the pause in conversation while you pop yours on before giving someone a bollocking is enough to tell your underlings that shit is about to get real.
It would have to be on a chain, so that when you see something alarming you can open your eye wide and have it fall off your face.

blitzem

Post by blitzem »

Mykeru taking a chance with KS while apparently still not understanding that YT isn't covered under the letter of the 1st Amendment nor what the spirit of Fair Use really is.

[youtube]8J0ze-V3mm0[/youtube]

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

welch

Post by welch »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:

I have zero problem with things like street cameras for video surveillance. I'm of the opinion that it's mostly people who perform or want to perform unlawful acts who are against it. The right to privacy doesn't apply in public places (except for bathrooms and changerooms, but let's not get this one started again).

Now, I'm not saying this out of the blue or out of a wish for a totalitarian, 1984-like surveillance state, but out of my own experiences and more general statistics. Monaco, where Ali works, is over-controlled with police presence and street cameras. The level of crime in public spaces there is ridiculously low. I can leave my scooter unchained anywhere in Monaco and not see it vanish, which is not the case in Beausoleil, where my last scooter was stolen twenty years ago just one street away from Monaco.

I'll finish later, time for diner.

well, you may not be in favor of the totalitarian part, but you clearly have no problem with the state monitoring everything you do.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

free thoughtpolice wrote:PZ gets his facts about sociology form MTV bimbos that make youtube videos.
Did you know that not only are Caucasians all racists, but the term Caucasian is in itself racist?
Interestingly, some of PZ's commenters point out flaws in the "facts" presented although no one comes out and points out how ridiculous the premise of the whole thing is.
Quite the contrary. For years now, the Social Justice Warriors with their White Race, People of Color, Asian Race have been operating with 19th century racist ideas. PZ Myers is one of those Race War racists and was the centre of such ideas. I recall that the MTV show does peddle similar views. And already years ago, it was pointed out that this is racist. Namely, I quoted the EU which rejects the notion of human races and argued that I am not too fond when Americans re-introduce this nonsense again. Note here again, that these sociological ideas have nothing to do with genetic clustering that are of interest for scientists and geneticists. Also, keep in mind the distinction between racism (as the belief that a small number of human races exist and the effects of this) and the existence of such races itself.

Guest_df4fcc85

Post by Guest_df4fcc85 »

blogs.scientificamerican.com/rosetta-stones/the-mind-boggling-scale-of-mount-saint-helens-s-crater/

"Science blogger" hikes Mount Saint Helens, writes article for Scientific American, "It's really really big! Here's a helicopter in flight to show that!"

==> Dana Hunter is a science blogger, SF writer, and geology addict whose home away from SciAm is En Tequila Es Verdad.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Aneris wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:PZ gets his facts about sociology form MTV bimbos that make youtube videos.
Quite the contrary. For years now, the Social Justice Warriors with their White Race, People of Color, Asian Race have been operating with 19th century racist ideas. PZ Myers is one of those Race War racists and was the centre of such ideas. I recall that the MTV show does peddle similar views. And already years ago, it was pointed out that this is racist. Namely, I quoted the EU which rejects the notion of human races and argued that I am not too fond when Americans re-introduce this nonsense again. Note here again, that these sociological ideas have nothing to do with genetic clustering that are of interest for scientists and geneticists. Also, keep in mind the distinction between racism (as the belief that a small number of human races exist and the effects of this) and the existence of such races itself.
A few years back the only people who believed in a 'white race' trancending cultural and historical differences were a hardcore of neonazis; now it's a message pumped out across campuses and in The Guardian.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

blitzem wrote:Mykeru taking a chance with KS while apparently still not understanding that YT isn't covered under the letter of the 1st Amendment nor what the spirit of Fair Use really is.

[youtube]8J0ze-V3mm0[/youtube]
I'm surprised it's taken the SJWs this long to close Mykeru down. Regardless of his legal position, I'd hope I speak for the pit :mrgreen: when I say that his voice was part of the holy choir and should not be snuffed out. And certainly not on the pretext he was an IP thief atypical of the YT medium.

It would take a Steersman like focus to zoom in on that tree and miss the triumphant SJ pullers of leavers.

In any case his Clown Car and Jenny McDermot vids were particular good, in very different ways.

:clap: :clap:

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Service Dog wrote:Naw... Shoe uses sex. But she doesn't flipflop-- to acting like she's an innocent victim passively "being" sexualized, objectified, etc.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cf0ha_wWQAAkv0s.jpg
I had not seen that [the above] before. I'm not sure how I feel about it. But thanks for showing me, anyway.*

* nb. my left pre-frontal area sometimes changes the word "asshole" to "anyway"
I couldnt find the one of her receiving an International Women's Day spanking.

blitzem

Post by blitzem »

Brive1987 wrote:
blitzem wrote:Mykeru taking a chance with KS while apparently still not understanding that YT isn't covered under the letter of the 1st Amendment nor what the spirit of Fair Use really is.

[youtube.]8J0ze-V3mm0[/youtube]
I'm surprised it's taken the SJWs this long to close Mykeru down. Regardless of his legal position, I'd hope I speak for the pit :mrgreen: when I say that his voice was part of the holy choir and should not be snuffed out. And certainly not on the pretext he was an IP thief atypical of the YT medium.

It would take a Steersman like focus to zoom in on that tree and miss the triumphant SJ pullers of leavers.

In any case his Clown Car and Jenny McDermot vids were particular good, in very different ways.

Oh absolutely. I just wish that he would relax a bit on his dogmatic approach to free speech and try to understand the situation as it actually is, not what he wants it to be. That way he could fight off the SJers from a position of greater strength.

And yes, the Clown Car is awesome. I re-watch it from time to time, along with the Shermer rape allegations vid. Sadly, the only one on his page I can see now is the one I posted.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

But will the earth move?

http://i.imgur.com/O3RQyr4.jpg

I have the strong feeling Jen's use of "Dr" is going to be .......

http://i.imgur.com/l8YjlLc.jpg

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Service Dog wrote:
Service Dog wrote:Naw... Shoe uses sex. But she doesn't flipflop-- to acting like she's an innocent victim passively "being" sexualized, objectified, etc.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cf0ha_wWQAAkv0s.jpg
I had not seen that [the above] before. I'm not sure how I feel about it. But thanks for showing me, anyway.*

* nb. my left pre-frontal area sometimes changes the word "asshole" to "anyway"
I couldnt find the one of her receiving an International Women's Day spanking.
It was a tweet

windy

Post by windy »

"We will give tip when you return the land": to whom? This idiot is Zulu afaict, and their historical claims to the Cape area (this happened in Cape Town) aren't any stronger than those of white South Africans.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

In other news, Gerry Adams has done a doodoo on Twitter.
I'm sure there a joke in there around 'Uncle Tom & Gerry' somewhere...

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

blitzem wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:

[youtube.]8J0ze-V3mm0[/youtube]

Oh absolutely. I just wish that he would relax a bit on his dogmatic approach to free speech and try to understand the situation as it actually is, not what he wants it to be. That way he could fight off the SJers from a position of greater strength.

And yes, the Clown Car is awesome. I re-watch it from time to time, along with the Shermer rape allegations vid. Sadly, the only one on his page I can see now is the one I posted.
Didn't mean to sound snarky. And I agree. He would benefit from a less emotionally framed defensive plan. I fear that giving over his details presages a final exit after a last futile official volley.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Tigzy wrote:In other news, Gerry Adams has done a doodoo on Twitter.
I'm sure there a joke in there around 'Uncle Tom & Gerry' somewhere...
I had a brain fart, looked at the Twitter handle and thought it was related to the SF Rabid Puppies thing. Thank goodness it wasn't.

If Twitter really cared about race relations, they would re-code the site so that you can't use the "n word" or any of its variants. Why wouldn't they do so? Don't they believe that black lives matter?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Apparently this asshole was leading the charge to get rid of a statue of Cecil Rhodes at Oxford. The little prick is attending Oxford because he is on a full fucking Rhodes scholarship.

Hey asshole, how about you give back the full amount of the Rhodes scholarship and then we might talk about the statue thingy you fucking hyporcrite?

Did I tell you what a self-entitled prick this prick is?

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Soooooooooo spankable.

Couch

Post by Couch »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:http://i.imgur.com/GlqBBtA.jpg

The only people I recognize on that panel are: 1) some cunt who banned me from his blog; 2) some dude who went to prison.

Who needs these pathetic circle-jerks, when we have Slymestock?
I would def. go to SlymeStock 2017.

I expect, through sheer weight of numbers, it would need to be in the pacific northwest. Can you get your entire body Goretexed? - asking for a friend.

There's enough antipodean pitters for a charter plane, or at least bulk seat purchase. 1 litre Absolut Vodka is AUD29 at Sydney Airport, not that I obsessively note these things.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

You will need to check your pockets if Franc comes along.

I have a PM in draft I'll send ASAP.

Couch

Post by Couch »

My mate's charter plane, by my calcs, will need 6 pacific ocean refueling stops before a dramatic beach landing at the bear's place.

We should ensure one of the footfalls of our island-hopping is Pitcairn Island, and marry Franc off to a local 'girl'.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Couch wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:http://i.imgur.com/GlqBBtA.jpg

The only people I recognize on that panel are: 1) some cunt who banned me from his blog; 2) some dude who went to prison.

Who needs these pathetic circle-jerks, when we have Slymestock?
I would def. go to SlymeStock 2017.

I expect, through sheer weight of numbers, it would need to be in the pacific northwest. Can you get your entire body Goretexed? - asking for a friend.

There's enough antipodean pitters for a charter plane, or at least bulk seat purchase. 1 litre Absolut Vodka is AUD29 at Sydney Airport, not that I obsessively note these things.

It should be in Atlanta. It's the home of ERV it's a world wide hub and it's cheap place compared a lot of the US.

We could do it during DragonCon.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Couch wrote:My mate's charter plane, by my calcs, will need 6 pacific ocean refueling stops before a dramatic beach landing at the bear's place.

We should ensure one of the footfalls of our island-hopping is Pitcairn Island, and marry Franc off to a local 'girl'.
Unfortunately I'm now channeling Amelia Earhart. :?

Nice to see you can in fact teach old dogs new tricks. KS finally figures out how to properly annotate her research.

http://i.imgur.com/ZB8oXrC.jpg

I read the first paragraph and was promptly attacked by unrestrained adjectives. Then came the sexy bits. :| :bjarte:

http://i.imgur.com/GsjAGaf.jpg