The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
welch

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by welch »

Brive1987 wrote:But will the earth move?

http://i.imgur.com/O3RQyr4.jpg

I have the strong feeling Jen's use of "Dr" is going to be .......

http://i.imgur.com/l8YjlLc.jpg
Funny how once she stopped living in PZ's world, she was able to remember that she's supposed to be doing science.

welch

Post by welch »

Couch wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:http://i.imgur.com/GlqBBtA.jpg

The only people I recognize on that panel are: 1) some cunt who banned me from his blog; 2) some dude who went to prison.

Who needs these pathetic circle-jerks, when we have Slymestock?
I would def. go to SlymeStock 2017.

I expect, through sheer weight of numbers, it would need to be in the pacific northwest. Can you get your entire body Goretexed? - asking for a friend.

There's enough antipodean pitters for a charter plane, or at least bulk seat purchase. 1 litre Absolut Vodka is AUD29 at Sydney Airport, not that I obsessively note these things.
Shitty vodka + multiple passes through a Brita filter = very expensive vodka.

You're welcome.

welch

Post by welch »

comhcinc wrote:
Couch wrote:

The only people I recognize on that panel are: 1) some cunt who banned me from his blog; 2) some dude who went to prison.

I expect, through sheer weight of numbers, it would need to be in the pacific northwest. Can you get your entire body Goretexed? - asking for a friend.

There's enough antipodean pitters for a charter plane, or at least bulk seat purchase. 1 litre Absolut Vodka is AUD29 at Sydney Airport, not that I obsessively note these things.

It should be in Atlanta. It's the home of ERV it's a world wide hub and it's cheap place compared a lot of the US.

We could do it during DragonCon.
During DragonCon? So you don't actually want to have it within 100m of Atlanta then.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

comhcinc wrote:
Couch wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:[.img]http://i.imgur.com/GlqBBtA.jpg[/img]

It should be in Atlanta. It's the home of ERV it's a world wide hub and it's cheap place compared a lot of the US.

We could do it during DragonCon.
DragonCon? Meh. If I go to Georgia it will be to tick off bucket list item #12

http://i.imgur.com/5T9FQiE.jpg

Couch

Post by Couch »

welch wrote:
Couch wrote:

Shitty vodka + multiple passes through a Brita filter = very expensive vodka.

You're welcome.
Yeah, so, if you noticed the price-point, I wasn't exactly reaching for the stars.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Brive1987 wrote:
Couch wrote:My mate's charter plane, by my calcs, will need 6 pacific ocean refueling stops before a dramatic beach landing at the bear's place.

We should ensure one of the footfalls of our island-hopping is Pitcairn Island, and marry Franc off to a local 'girl'.
Unfortunately I'm now channeling Amelia Earhart. :?

Nice to see you can in fact teach old dogs new tricks. KS finally figures out how to properly annotate her research.

http://i.imgur.com/ZB8oXrC.jpg

Damn! Karen is a great writer- that got me hot! :twisted: :P

I read the first paragraph and was promptly attacked by unrestrained adjectives. Then came the sexy bits. :| :bjarte:

http://i.imgur.com/GsjAGaf.jpg

Couch

Post by Couch »

So I've read up on Atlanta on wiki and learn:

* It had the Olympics! (I was massively stoned for most of the 90s): and
* The population is around 500k or ten times that depending on how you count.

Looks like an awesome place. And if understand how the northern hemisphere works, it will be warmer and probably dryer than the Pacific NW.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

welch wrote:
During DragonCon? So you don't actually want to have it within 100m of Atlanta then.

It's not so bad. But I met in DragonCon.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Brive1987 wrote: DragonCon? Meh. If I go to Georgia it will be to tick off bucket list item #12

http://i.imgur.com/5T9FQiE.jpg
You are Meh about DragonCon but your bucket list includes the airport?

Also that trip would take like two weeks with traffic.

DragonCon is awesome, or at least it was the last time I went like 12 years ago.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

Is anyone seeing people around you being adversely affected by identity politics, and scapegoat feminism and social justice, where you live, at work, or in any other part of your life? If so, have you found any ways to help reduce and counteract the damage? Also, does anyone have any success stories about people who have been hit hard by all that, and recovered from it?

I was never aware of all that when I lived in the US, and here in China I don't know enough about the politics, and I haven't known anyone well enough personally, to know if anything like that is going on here. All I can think of that I might do, if I saw people around me being adversely affected by identity politics, and scapegoat feminism and social justice, would be to try to learn to be a better friend, and to give them the kinds of encouragement and support that really helps, in facing up to it.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Couch wrote:So I've read up on Atlanta on wiki and learn:

Looks like an awesome place. And if understand how the northern hemisphere works, it will be warmer and probably dryer than the Pacific NW.
Atlanta is interesting because it's a pretty new city. It only started as a railroad crossing and was then burnt to the ground during Sherman's March so most of the town is post 1865 (this doesn't include the cities in the metro many of which are a lot older).

As to being dryer than the NW, less rain but humid as fuck. Today it was about 30%C and it just felt damp.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Weird. The site says it can take exactly 3 hours and 12 mins. - including all the extra sites off map.

Maybe that's on a Monday morning at 1.00am ?

It's ominous that the tour starts and finishes at the airport ........

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Brive1987 wrote:Weird. The site says it can take exactly 3 hours and 12 mins. - including all the extra sites off map.

Maybe that's on a Monday morning at 1.00am ?

It's ominous that the tour starts and finishes at the airport ........

Yeah it's lying. When I first moved here I was living in Jonesboro (just south of ATL) and worked in Mariette (where I know live and just north of ATL). 20 miles would take me about an hour unless it was a Friday afternoon when it would be anywhere 2 and 4 hours.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Guest_df4fcc85 wrote:Pie lesu domine dona eis requiem.
[Thwack]

Pie lesu domine dona eis requiem.
[Thwack]

[Thwack]

[Thwack]
http://imgur.com/J9MRbVZ.png
Donna Ace Requiem

Couch

Post by Couch »

'Working' from home. 'Working' from home.
Hi ho the derry-o, I'm 'working' from home!

NoGodsEver

Post by NoGodsEver »

comhcinc wrote:
Couch wrote:So I've read up on Atlanta on wiki and learn:

Atlanta is interesting because it's a pretty new city. It only started as a railroad crossing and was then burnt to the ground during Sherman's March so most of the town is post 1865 (this doesn't include the cities in the metro many of which are a lot older).

As to being dryer than the NW, less rain but humid as fuck. Today it was about 30%C and it just felt damp.
Seattle is only wet about 2/3 of the year. The rest of the year (summer) it hardly rains.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Couch wrote:'Working' from home. 'Working' from home.
Ha ha. It's Labour Day up here, today. Public holiday. Woo hoo.

So why am I working from home then?

Bugger.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, some were, to put it delicately, more helpful than others :roll: :doh:

After consulting the eldest daughter, whose response was to 'ignore her, everyone is sick of her 13 yr-old-tantrums. When you're 21 people expect adult interactions'. Ok, so valid point, but eldest & youngest from my 1st marriage have never gotten on, so perhaps not totally unbiased viewpoint.

I like the factual Phil approach, because she is simply wrong to call it the 'french burkha law'. This shows a complete lack of firstly facts, and secondly rational thinking. There is no French burkha law, there is one that bans the covering of faces in public - Loi interdisant la dissimulation du visage dans l'espace public. It applies to everyone and all face-coverings though, so not specifically about burkhas. And has been confirmed by European Court of Human Rights 2 years ago, so getting all righteous on behalf of muslims is old news. I like going to France and not seeing burkhas, they bring out the worst of Victor Meldrew in me. I begin muttering 'I don't believe it,this is 2016 not 616' under my breath.

Also, I am totally fine with surveillance on the street, and concur that if you aren't doing anything wrong you have nothing to worry about. On the contrary it can help you with false accusations. As happened in the case of the guy accused of sexual assault in Waterloo station http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 77036.html . My only caveat is that it shouldn't be used for money-generating schemes from minor traffic offences, as all UK local councils are complete Nazi jobs-worth wankers. http://www.confused.com/car-insurance/a ... affic-cctv

Anyway, I'm going with something short and sweet, like 'Hi there, great to hear from you, how's things? Would love to have a chat soon!', I've decided ignoring the SJW crap is the only way forward. I remain extremely pissed at her approach though, so I may yet go with Tigzy's cos-play suggestion.

blitzem

Post by blitzem »

Brive1987 wrote: Didn't mean to sound snarky. And I agree. He would benefit from a less emotionally framed defensive plan. I fear that giving over his details presages a final exit after a last futile official volley.

No worries. I didn't take it like that. :)

Couch

Post by Couch »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Ha ha. It's Labour Day up here, today. Public holiday. Woo hoo.

So why am I working from home then?

Bugger.
I noticed that - NT and QLD... Our Labour Day is first Monday in October (also known as Council Swimming Pool Re-opens for Summer Day).

Well, I'm off to pick my youngest up from school! His devout half-Chilean teacher is so freakishly, swooningly hot, it hurts.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

I couldn't do. I like getting out of the house. Traffic doesn't bother me. I have lots of podcast. It's just something to be aware of.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

HunnyBunny wrote: Anyway, I'm going with something short and sweet, like 'Hi there, great to hear from you, how's things? Would love to have a chat soon!', I've decided ignoring the SJW crap is the only way forward. I remain extremely pissed at her approach though, so I may yet go with Tigzy's cos-play suggestion.

I didn't offer advice because I don't feel I have the experience to give a straight answer so I just commented on the law itself.

I really hope it works out for you.

H. Korban

Post by H. Korban »

HunnyBunny wrote:\
Anyway, I'm going with something short and sweet, like 'Hi there, great to hear from you, how's things? Would love to have a chat soon!', I've decided ignoring the SJW crap is the only way forward. I remain extremely pissed at her approach though, so I may yet go with Tigzy's cos-play suggestion.
Send her a selfie of yourself wearing a burkha. Or, better yet, tell her you converted to Islam, and send her the selfie.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

blitzem wrote:Mykeru taking a chance with KS while apparently still not understanding that YT isn't covered under the letter of the 1st Amendment nor what the spirit of Fair Use really is.

[youtube]8J0ze-V3mm0[/youtube]

That company have been going after a lot of people. They are not that hard to fight if you are willing to do it.

[youtube]I8H1H2o5ycQ[/youtube]

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Also he has a video up with sound.

[youtube]4el7dRUfW84[/youtube]

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

With Jen now joining Dr Miller PhD there is a great opportunity for them to use their spare time to take down the scibabe.

I guess the sex approach has been strip mined. They need a header that combines their academic and scientific prowess with a cheeky nod at nerd culture.

They can use this until Alex finds a slot in his schedule.

http://i.imgur.com/i4RhLzW.jpg

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

HunnyBunny wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions guys, some were, to put it delicately, more helpful than others ,,,

HunnyBunny, and all those who helped her with this, thanks. This is a good example of what I was looking for, of people running up against scapegoat feminism and social justice in their own lives, and what to do about it.

Couch

Post by Couch »

comhcinc wrote:

I couldn't do. I like getting out of the house. Traffic doesn't bother me. I have lots of podcast. It's just something to be aware of.
I hear ya, but my commute is an hour each way and I get a crap-load of interruptions at work.

We've had a complete new fit out at work six months back which is supposed to be all Silicon Valley start-up collaborative love-in, and which is def. cool to look at; and actually has a nice feel to it. But for me it's just really noisy - there is such a thing TOO open-plan. We have three quiet-rooms on each floor but they're booked out days ahead.

Working from home once a fortnight or so is great when I need the extra hours from not commuting, and the quiet. Sometimes I need to draft opinions or advices, and long quiet spells are conducive to that. Also, there's the wanking.

Today I've been bludging a bit. I pruned the orange tree and the lemon tree, which smelled great.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Couch wrote: Today I've been bludging a bit. I pruned the orange tree and the lemon tree, which smelled great.

I have no clue what day you mean man of the future!

blitzem

Post by blitzem »

comhcinc wrote:Also he has a video up with sound.

[youtube]4el7dRUfW84[/youtube]
Yeah, I listened to this one earlier and heard him mention the Bible Reloaded thing. DMCAs all-around, it seems.

Couch

Post by Couch »

comhcinc wrote:
Couch wrote: Today I've been bludging a bit. I pruned the orange tree and the lemon tree, which smelled great.

It's Monday afternoon, just gone 4pm! Kids are all home from school now, and the lights are flickeing under the grid strain of powering so many iterations of Minecraft on so many devices.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Couch wrote:
comhcinc wrote:

It's Monday afternoon, just gone 4pm! Kids are all home from school now, and the lights are flickeing under the grid strain of powering so many iterations of Minecraft on so many devices.

More like 2 am and I have a horrible keeping me from sleeping and the kids are up getting ready for school in four hours!

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

I want to add "favorite" and "least liked" tranny awards next vote cycle. Here is my submission for favorite.

[youtube]XwM-MZjYof8[/youtube]

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Horrible headache.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Com, You are fucked either way. I'd stay up if you can crash after drop off.

I'll think of you as I escape for a cleansing end of day latte.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Brive1987 wrote:Com, You are fucked either way. I'd stay up if you can crash after drop off.

I'll think of you as I escape for a cleansing end of day latte.
Kids take the bus and eat breakfast at school. I just have to get them up and make sure the boy doesn't put his pants on backwards. I get to be lazy because my kids are independent because I like to be lazy so I have taught them to be independent.

But yeah at this point I think I am going to be up listening to youtube. Hurts to watch.

Woot woot for the ability to type without looking.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

H. Korban wrote:
HunnyBunny wrote:\
Send her a selfie of yourself wearing a burkha. Or, better yet, tell her you converted to Islam, and send her the selfie.
I feel for maximum trullz you should burka up and ask her about her Shariah feels.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Gosh I have zero idea what to do if my kids get SJW ness. I'm actually kinda thinking about sending them to a nearby church.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

rayshul wrote:Gosh I have zero idea what to do if my kids get SJW ness. I'm actually kinda thinking about sending them to a nearby church.
I would not if it is a Catholic Church. Especially if the Nuns & Priests are Irish Catholic. In my experience those are likely to be the most fucked up and chances are they will fuck up your kids.

It is a toss up between the Catholics and Scottish Presbyterians though. I would also be cautious about Baptists. Likewise the Evangelicals.

My experience with Anglicans would lead them me to assume they would be a better bet. But I would still stay alert if I were you and monitor your kids closely.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I was thinking of going Evangelical, I'd rather they stop believing in evolution as opposed to thinking they're pieces of shit.

Couch

Post by Couch »

rayshul wrote:Gosh I have zero idea what to do if my kids get SJW ness. I'm actually kinda thinking about sending them to a nearby church.
My 13 year-old girl is at a Catholic Girls private School. Last Xmas we took two cars away for Christmas. My wife emerged white-faced (a real trick for a POC) from a five hour drive with said daughter asking me what 'pansexual', 'genderfluid' and 'cis' mean, and why is her innocent little girl saying these things!

Turns out my daughter social group at school are getting massive doses of SJW-ism. I asked her if it's Tumblr, and she said yes, some, but it's pretty pervasive everywhere she hangs out/interacts online. She's pretty open with me, and I've made the decision to stand back at this stage.

There's eight girls in her group. Best as I can tell they're lovely kids from nice families, ethnically diverse, as is the norm round here where I live. Five have this year declared where they are on the gender and sexuality spectrums. Amazingly (not), none have come out as cis. My kid tells me she's pretty sure she's straight but doesn't feel the overwhelming urge to pipe up about that at the moment.

Of course my internal reaction is "For fucks sake you it are 13, what the fuck are your mates doing making claims about their gender and sexuality!" But I'm not going to be confrontational about it and I've found I'm making progress with her in other ways.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

They just want to be special. I feel like possibly I wasn't exposed to this so much growing up because we had shit like different music types rather than fucking sexuality types.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

Couch wrote:Amazingly (not), none have come out as cis.
Okay, I'm starting to realize how far beyond the times I am. Wow. We never had that to deal with when our kids were growing up. Now I'm wondering what's happening with our grandchildren.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Service Dog wrote:
My favorite detail is that-- in addition to paying themselves more-- the men also did more actual work.

The women correctly assessed their lesser value!

The same researchers-- women who are economists at University of Hamburg-- also conducted a very-different type of study:

They treated the re-unification of East & West Germany as a "natural experiment", noting that the East German pay gap had disappeared, but the West German pay gap had persisted. By surveying workers from both origins-- they learned that having-lived in the poor, communist East conditioned women to choose jobs Like A Man: prioritizing extrinstic rewards: 'high pay' and 'promotion opportunities'. While having lived in the rich, free West conditioned women to choose intrinsic rewards: jobs that were satisfying or a good-fit regardless of lower pay.

The pay gap is a product of freedom & prosperity, not oppression & poverty.

http://www.econstor.eu/bitstream/10419/ ... id_879.pdf
So basically the conclusion is that if given the chance women statistically tend to be less ambitious and risk-taking than men, and more attracted to emotional stability and harmony than to adventure.

I guess that it makes sense from an evolutionary point of view, since women get pregnant and while pregnant their children are more physically vulnerable, so women who take less risks while pregnant are going to produce more live offspring. Since evolution isn't a perfect tool driven by an intelligence interested in equality but merely the survival of the most successful genes this probably resulted into a selection for women who were less prone to take risks.

Men, on the other hand, can't get pregnant, and risk-taking men, while more likely to expose themselves to danger, are also more likely to gather more food for their offspring and get them to live longer.

However in times of need, when food is scarce (or life is particularly tough for whatever reason) women and men may modify their behavior with the goal of bringing home more food, and so in general take more risks.

This model seems to make sense, even though more studies would probably be needed to clarify whether it's accurate or not. And there might be other factors who come into play.

I guess that the egalitarian and leveling ideals of Communist East Germany may have also played a role. Many feminist movements, especially the modern radfems, seem to be influenced by the communist ideals of the complete equality, which wants to mold all human beings into the same Platonic ideal of "equal", regardless of the differences between individuals (at least in theory: in practice "all humans are equals but some-Party leaders, secret police members- are "more equal" than others). I don't think that's a coincidence.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

rayshul wrote:They just want to be special. I feel like possibly I wasn't exposed to this so much growing up because we had shit like different music types rather than fucking sexuality types.
That's an interesting way of looking at it. Actually, I find that comforting. Something like hair and clothing styles, now we have sex/gender styles. Sure, why not?

That puts the treatments and surgery in a different light, as just more medical frauds. I'm not sure it's wrong for everyone, but I imagine it's a lot of needless grief and expense for a lot of people, just like any other medical frauds.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

Kirbmarc wrote:Many feminist movements, especially the modern radfems, seem to be influenced by the communist ideals of the complete equality, which wants to mold all human beings into the same Platonic ideal of "equal", regardless of the differences between individuals (at least in theory: in practice "all humans are equals but some-Party leaders, secret police members- are "more equal" than others). I don't think that's a coincidence.
It's strange because it used to include class analysis, but that's been swept under the rug, maybe because it's all coming from privileged people, and or because class analysis would recognize the existence of oppressed white men?

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I mean don't get me wrong being a teen in the nineties we did sexual and identity experimentation but it was like, less of a big deal than the music you was into.

Really we should be blaming MtV

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

My Islamic apologist daughter identifies as pan sexual. Wot a surprise. Although in practice this seems to amount to little more than posting tame girl on girl kissing pics on facebook.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

jimhabegger wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:Many feminist movements, especially the modern radfems, seem to be influenced by the communist ideals of the complete equality, which wants to mold all human beings into the same Platonic ideal of "equal", regardless of the differences between individuals (at least in theory: in practice "all humans are equals but some-Party leaders, secret police members- are "more equal" than others). I don't think that's a coincidence.
It's strange because it used to include class analysis, but that's been swept under the rug, maybe because it's all coming from privileged people, and or because class analysis would recognize the existence of oppressed white men?
I think that it's a bit of both.

Also class differences work in a different way today than when Marx wrote Das Kapital. Class differences in the 21st century are a more complex matter: blue collar and white collar employees aren't as neatly separated as they were in the past, and some blue collar employees (plumbers, for examples) are "middle class" while some white collar employees (especially if their jobs are temporary ones) are of a lower class. To say nothing of the "McJobs" or of the differences in social mobility, of the rise of corporate business.

A modern class analysis needs to pretty much ditch Communism and replace it with a better, more nuanced approach.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Couch wrote:
My 13 year-old girl is at a Catholic Girls private School. Last Xmas we took two cars away for Christmas. My wife emerged white-faced (a real trick for a POC) from a five hour drive with said daughter asking me what 'pansexual', 'genderfluid' and 'cis' mean, and why is her innocent little girl saying these things!

Turns out my daughter social group at school are getting massive doses of SJW-ism. I asked her if it's Tumblr, and she said yes, some, but it's pretty pervasive everywhere she hangs out/interacts online. She's pretty open with me, and I've made the decision to stand back at this stage.

There's eight girls in her group. Best as I can tell they're lovely kids from nice families, ethnically diverse, as is the norm round here where I live. Five have this year declared where they are on the gender and sexuality spectrums. Amazingly (not), none have come out as cis. My kid tells me she's pretty sure she's straight but doesn't feel the overwhelming urge to pipe up about that at the moment.

Of course my internal reaction is "For fucks sake you it are 13, what the fuck are your mates doing making claims about their gender and sexuality!" But I'm not going to be confrontational about it and I've found I'm making progress with her in other ways.
My 15 yo daughter is at a princess school - Uniting so pretty soft. Lesbian leanings appear to be de rigueur. With teachers as well as students. My daughter fled appalled a while back when I tried to explain the need for semi arbitrary lines to avoid the slippery slope into the rapid embrace of pomo. I am a simple man and lack subtlety of approach.

My son's all boys private school was similar (in a guy way). In fact the school opened its hallowed halls for a student documentary,exploring sexual confusion. The video was so good it got a call out from Stephen Fry. The boys all fully supported the production and the guy who made it was self confessed straight. This time I was mindful enough to mumble "cool" while my wife stupidly spoke her mind to an increasingly crestfallen son.

Regardless I strongly recommend you check it out:

[youtube]A4Y1qTSqmgI[/youtube]

Bottom line. The world has really changed from when I was at school in the 1970s and 80s where any form of 'deviancy' was cause for rapid immolation. There really is genuine and strong support for the full spectrum of sexuality which is seen as the new normal.

Now I appreciate this lack of bigotry, but I mourn the injection of complex concerns at too early an age and fear the wedge that social liberalism offers for SJ crazy.

Ie I'm confused.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

rayshul wrote:They just want to be special. I feel like possibly I wasn't exposed to this so much growing up because we had shit like different music types rather than fucking sexuality types.
I have no objection to people defining "man" and "woman" any way they want to, for their own purposes, and calling themselves "men" or "women" as they choose, no matter what kind of body they were born in. I do object to them trying to impose their definitions on all people, for all purposes, and on agreements, laws and policies that were originally made with different understandings of those words.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

HunnyBunny wrote:My Islamic apologist daughter identifies as pan sexual. Wot a surprise. Although in practice this seems to amount to little more than posting tame girl on girl kissing pics on facebook.
You could always suggest that she read some perspectives of various ex-Muslims, although, not having had any kids, negotiating that particular mine field is not my forte.

But there's Namazie, and Anjuli, and Warraq's Why I'm Not a Muslim. And then there's Canada's own Irshad Manji - The Trouble with Islam Today - gay and female for maybe some extra hooks. But good luck. :-)

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

Brive1987 wrote:Now I appreciate this lack of bigotry, but I mourn the injection of complex concerns at too early an age and fear the wedge that social liberalism offers for SJ crazy.

Ie I'm confused.
Rayshul's remark really got me thinking, and now I'm seeing it as just a new dimension of personality and fashion, along with being nerdy or sportive for example, and hair and clothing style. I'm still concerned about the treatment and surgery complications and possible needless grief that might be causing, but now I see that as just another example of fraudulent medical practices.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Well of course the perfect storm is music, video and sexual pan whatever-ism

[youtube]tAp9BKosZXs[/youtube]

I guess we had the New Romantics.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Yeah if I had regressive left parents rather than second wave feminist parents, I'd be in the running for the sexual reassignment chopshop.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Bottom line. The world has really changed from when I was at school in the 1970s and 80s where any form of 'deviancy' was cause for rapid immolation. There really is genuine and strong support for the full spectrum of sexuality which is seen as the new normal.
The interesting thing is that it has all changed really fast, at least where I live.

I'm 27. I finished High School just nine years ago, and I remember that I had no idea that a "spectrum" of sexuality even existed. Boys were bullied or mocked for being gay or even simply "looking gay" (i.e. not being masculine enough), and most girls claimed to be disgusted by the idea of lesbian sex (there were a couple of exceptions, but they were more along the lines of "celebrity X is so hot, I'd fuck her evein if she's a woman"). There were only maybe 3 or 4 non-closeted gay people in entire school of 1200 pupils. One guy come to school in a dress once, but he was a meth head and he loudly claimed not to be gay (or trans).

There was a lot of confusion between transgenderism and transvestitism. Until four or five years ago I didn't even know what "cisgender" meant. And I'm still confused by the idea of pansexualism and I struggle to understand how it's different from bisexuality.

I have visited many high schools as part of my job, and I have a cousin who is turning 18 this year, and all the kids these days see gay sexuality or trans sexuality as the norm. Which is a good change, but has happened in less than a generation.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

welch wrote:
d4m10n wrote:
MacGruberKnows wrote:The arguments about toilets is finally fading out. But only because Steersman has become the new hot topic of the week.
Probably worth asking whether post-menopausal women should have a separate toilet, apart from the real women.
You can't call them women! I mean, with Muscato and Jenner corrupting the term, WE HAVE TO TAKE A STAND!
Maybe you can manage to read and reflect on this much Wikipedia though it's probably moot:
"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less."
"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Pan sexuals are third wave bisexuals. They reject the gender-construct as having any meaning or relevance to their label whereas bi will use said construct as the basis of their universality. Ie "both men and women".

Functionally identical but ideologically distinct.

Or at least that's my simple understanding.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Brive1987 wrote:Pan sexuals are third wave bisexuals. They reject the gender-construct as having any meaning or relevance to their label whereas bi will use said construct as the basis of their universality. Ie "both men and women".

Functionally identical but ideologically distinct.

Or at least that's my simple understanding.
Yeah, that's what I thought. It's a matter of ideology, not of sexual preference.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Steersman wrote: :) Different strokes and different folks. But while there are probably cases where live-and-let-live is the best policy, sometimes it is necessary argue for a particular course of action, preferably sooner than later:
No, that's not what I meant.

It is clear that my argument won't change hearts and minds. I myself think my argument is irrelevant outside of my limited geographical area and its societal situation. I don't see the need to push forward a localized argument on people who don't have the same everyday experiences as I have. ....
Maybe. Though I don't see it as all that localized. While the "French Burkha law", apparently the proximate cause of this donnybrook, might well be specific to France, and even that is moot as many other countries are facing similar issues, I think it is "of a piece" with the whole issue of how to deal with a virtual onslaught if not an outright invasion of Islam. Thought that France had the right idea about deporting a Muslim cleric some time back, and if Trump puts me in charge of immigration I'll deport every last one those clerics - drop them all in the middle of the Sahara, parachutes optional:

And then dotting the eyes and crossing the teas:
Arab-American Psychiatrist Wafa Sultan Blasts Islam, the Prophet Muhammad and Sheik Al-Qaradhawi, and States: When You Criticize Their Prophet, It Is As If You Chopped Off Muslims' Noses

Following are excerpts from an interview with Arab-American psychiatrist Wafa Sultan, which aired on Al-Hayat TV on May 29, 2008.

Wafa Sultan: When I examined the Koran, the hadith, and the Islamic books under a microscope, I came to the absolute conviction that it is impossible – impossible! – for any human being to read the biography of Muhammad and believe in it, and yet emerge a psychologically and mentally healthy person.
Islam needs either to have a serious reformation or it needs to be extirpated, root and branch. And I don't hold out much hope of the former.
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Maybe we'll get back to the argument when it becomes relevant to the ones who disagree. Until then, it's pretty much useless to go on about it.
As they say, no one squawks until it's their own ox getting gored. I wonder how many more outrages like Paris and Charlie Hebdo and Brussels it will take before people get the picture: Islam is intrinsically antithetical to the principles and values of Western democracies - the sooner we realize that, the better.