The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
Scented Nectar

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by Scented Nectar »

BoxNDox wrote:
Shatterface wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:He even had a complete catalogue of celestial objects named after him.
SF author Roger Zelazny has a crustacean name after him.

Which is more than Myers can say.
Cartoonist Gary Larson has a butterfly http://www.butterfliesofamerica.com/L/c ... _types.htm, chewing lice https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strigiphilus_garylarsoni, and a beetle (garylarsonus) named after him.

But the record probably goes to Stephen Colbert, who has all manner of stuff named after him.
Colbert's even got planets and dinosaurs named after him.

"Sean Murray May Have Replaced Morgan Freeman As God"
[youtube]ZqeN6hj4dZU[/youtube]

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Brive1987 wrote:Wtf?
So if Triump,is first part the post Indiana he's in?
Cherry-picking 7-week old data. (And a sad attempt to get super delegates to hand Bernie the nomination despite only getting 40% of the votes.)

Here's the link to the fake news outlet in that graphic:

Latest Reuters polling shows HRC with a comfortable lead over Trump. Sanders does better.
http://polling.reuters.com/#poll/TM651Y ... s/LIKELY:1
http://polling.reuters.com/#poll/TM651Y ... s/LIKELY:1

For a running tally of all recent polls, see:
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... _race.html

Observations:
Bernie's favorables would sink were he subjected to the intense scrutiny Hillary has been. Hell, Kasich is doing the best in those polls, cuz nobody realizes yet what dipshit he is.

And then there's the party machines. Trump won't have the GOP machine behind him; Bernie wouldn't have the Dem machine.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

rayshul wrote:I think, reading over arguments, that I agree with #TeamERV on the science thing - if you're a practising scientist, you're a scientist. If you're a science communicator, you're a science communicator. I'm not a techie now because while I have been a techie for a bajillion years, it's not what I actively do right now. If I had a degree in computer science I still wouldn't be a techie if I wasn't bloody doing that job.

The definitions here make sense to me.
ERV is erasing scientists' lived experiences.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Well, I don't know. Have you asked if ERV identifies as someone who is erasing scientist's lived experiences? You might be inflicting a microaggresion on her.

feathers

Post by feathers »

I guess you stop being a woman once you stop womanising? ;)

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

rayshul wrote:Well, I don't know. Have you asked if ERV identifies as someone who is erasing scientist's lived experiences? You might be inflicting a microaggresion on her.
I'm trans*species. ERV is cis-species. It's impossible for me to inflict micro aggressions. I'm punching up.

Couch

Post by Couch »

HunnyBunny wrote:
Couch wrote:
HunnyBunny wrote: Can't we have a bit of cultured slyme? Come to France! I have a stocked wine cellar and 11 spare bedrooms. Phil could provide the music, and Brive could do guided tours of, umm... Brive. :rimshot:
Um, 11 rooms? Que? Is this your home or is it a holiday house? Where about in France is it?
It's in Limousin, at the moment it's just a bolthole to get away from the shit that is Hong Kong. We'll live there in a few years, provided the xenophobes in the UK don't vote to leave the EU.

People here might not want to come, because I'm reliably told that French people are all a bunch of racist Islamaphobes who have a law, designed to punish only muslims, that bans burkas. This is part of a Jewish Zionist plot to commit genocide on Palestinians. I am unsure how they view scientists, but I believe they have some unisex toilets, although I haven't come across any in Limousin. There is a nudist beach nearby, I expect they have unisex toilets.
Hmm, Limousin.

Famous as the location of that significant Allied breach of the German lines, in late October '44, which most war historians attribute as being due to the cunning use of the (then) new 'Firefly' Sherman, equipped with the more powerful 75mm gun.

(somehow I don't think I'm going to quite slip that one through).

Yes the French may be headwear-ist, but I'm more happy to overlook any politically problematic aspects of a culture if they assuage my hipster guilt with cuisine, preferrably anything involving potato. Limousin, as you probably knows, delivers:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pâté_au ... s_de_terre

(I tried a bunch of times to get that URL to embed as a hyperlink...)

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Old_ones wrote:
Shatterface wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:I am now a scientist. Who knew? In addition to Captain, you must now address me as Chef, Marksman, Bladesmith, Artist, Musician, Engineer, plumber, software engineer, Science Sasquatch (but if you call me that instead of Scientist, I'll whine on Twitter, boo boo) and many more things I will only think of after you get it wrong, making you a sexist pig. Even though that is how I refer to myself at present and my only claim to fame.
Nobody is arguing that anyone can call themselves a 'scientist', just that being a scientist is about practicing science rather than having a few letters after your name.

Someone cataloguing nebulae in his garden shed is practicing science; someone hypothesising extra dimensions too small to see, even if light could propagate along those dimensions, might as well be playing Sudoku on Calabi-Yau manifolds.
To add to this, there is no more general way to refer to someone who participates in science than "scientist". People who fit the more demanding definition of "scientist" being argued for could aptly be described as "research professors" or "post doctoral fellows". As ERV mentioned, no one who does serious research in academia uses the term "scientist" as their primary professional identifier anyway. They refer to their discipline and/or sub-discipline and call themselves "organic chemists" or "geophysicists". If you want a more general, inclusive, term that can apply to fringe cases, then it has to be "scientist" -- not "post doc" or "research neuroendocrineologist".

I also have to ask how long someone has to participate in science in various capacities until it becomes recognized that "scientist" is part of who they are, and what capacities actually count. Jerry Coyne retired last year to focus on scientific writing for a lay audience. Does he now join PZ Myers among the ranks of "not real scientists"? To me that seems like an absurd question. He may not be practicing evolutionary genetics anymore, but he's made a contribution to that field, and he's still contributing to science in its broadest sense. To me that standard should also apply to PZ Myers, and most of the people who taught me how to do research as an undergrad (I went to an undergrad only college -- those professors weren't making tenure on research). If you want to disqualify PZ Myers, IMO it should be based on the fact that he's apparently losing his ability to think like a scientist and actively campaigning against evidence based reasoning when it suits him. Because PZ is still training undergrads to be scientists, and you can't ask me to believe that you can take a primary role in training scientists without being one yourself. Neither of my Ph.D. advisors ever "did research" in the sense of running experiments or interpreting their own data, either. They were "doing research" and "advancing science" by coming up with project ideas, and by teaching their students how to think about the data that we were generating with our experiments and calculations. Their research was inseparable from their teaching activities. And my advisors were real scientists by the standards of anyone on this board.
The restrictive definitions of 'scientist' being employed by some on this thread would imply special relativity and quantum mechanics aren't science, they're something to do with the clerking of patents because that was Einstein's profession at the time.

Couch

Post by Couch »

comhcinc wrote:[youtube]Pw8DXK9a9k8[/youtube]
Did this useless cunt just call basil, 'bay-sill'?

SkepticalCat

Post by SkepticalCat »

feathers wrote:And indeed, it borders on a scam:
The International Star Registry (ISR) is an organization founded in 1979 for the purpose of giving the general public the novelty of unofficially naming stars.
The International Astronomical Union (IAU) is the internationally recognized authority which designates stars, planets, asteroids, comets, and other heavenly bodies according to internationally accepted rules. The IAU neither sells naming rights nor does it authorize any other company or organization to do so. The IAU cautions consumers that products and services marketed by other companies have no formal or official validity whatsoever.[1] In fact with a few exceptions of ancient or Arabic names, nearly all stars are designated by catalog numbers rather than names.
And there's not just one of these "star registries" - there are several, each with their own set of names. The star you've paid $100 (or whatever) to "name" after your grandfather may have several other "names", none of which are of any relevance to either professional or amateur astronomers.

As for Rebecca Watson, the asteroid named for her is an official name, recognized by the IAU and likely permanent.

NoGodsEver

Post by NoGodsEver »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote: I have a vague recollection that Watson had something named after her? Or was it someone just as or even more odious?
A star. But anybody can have a star named after them -- some star registry sells them.
Actually, an asteroid. And she goes so far as to include this tidbit on her bio at Skepchick. It's about on the same level as saying you have a coffee mug that declares that you are, in fact, The World's Greatest Dad.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

dogen wrote:Discovering supernovae does not require any detailed knowledge of stellar structure & evolution. Rather, it needs a completely different toolset (including an understanding of instrumentation, and access to the same) plus a good familiarity with the sky. This toolset is often posessed by 'amateur' astronomers (quotes added to indicate that these people often really know their shit), and often *not* posessed by professional astronomers. But very few amateur astronomers are actively engaged in doing science, and so aren't scientists.

Put simply, You've confused 'astronomy/astrophysics' with 'things that can be seen through a telescope'.
I was talking about astronomy, which is a science, in the context of amateur science and amateur scientists.

A knowledge of stellar evolution isn't necessary for astronomy unless you think there were no astronomers prior to Fred Hoyle, or that the study of celestial bodies other than stars do not qualify as science either.

You might as well say there was no biology prior to Watson and Crick.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Shatterface wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:He even had a complete catalogue of celestial objects named after him.
SF author Roger Zelazny has a crustacean name after him.

Which is more than Myers can say.
I have a vague recollection that Watson had something named after her? Or was it someone just as or even more odious?
More odious than Watson?

I can think of one guy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anophthalmus_hitleri

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
Shatterface wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:I am now a scientist. Who knew? In addition to Captain, you must now address me as Chef, Marksman, Bladesmith, Artist, Musician, Engineer, plumber, software engineer, Science Sasquatch (but if you call me that instead of Scientist, I'll whine on Twitter, boo boo) and many more things I will only think of after you get it wrong, making you a sexist pig. Even though that is how I refer to myself at present and my only claim to fame.
Nobody is arguing that anyone can call themselves a 'scientist', just that being a scientist is about practicing science rather than having a few letters after your name.

Someone cataloguing nebulae in his garden shed is practicing science; someone hypothesising extra dimensions too small to see, even if light could propagate along those dimensions, might as well be playing Sudoku on Calabi-Yau manifolds.
Yeah, and SciBabe ain't practicing science any more than I am. She wants da title, she gotta earn it, degree or no. Nothing I've seen argues she's doing science, just a sideshow about degrees and history of science and a few folk who done it without any degrees, but nothing about what she done, yup. She just whined for victim points, and all the rest of this has nothing to do with her claims.
I'm not arguing that she is a scientist, I'm arguing that being a scientist is about practicing science, not the qualifications you have, the research grants, or the number of students, or any of the other shit the Steersbots have got hung up on.

Keating

Post by Keating »

That's nothing. Listen to an American pronounce 'emu'.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Okay, probably should have hit refresh first.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

welch wrote:
ERV wrote:Dude she was bitching about being addressed as 'SciBabe' instead of 'scientist', and suggested sexism was the reason for that.

No problem with SciBabe. She do wat she do. But she is SciBabe, not a scientist.
Y'all have a really funny way of not having a problem with what she does.

But let me get this straight, because it is often confusing to me:

Who can be a scientist: Only people with Ph.Ds who publish in approved journals

Who cannot ever be a scientist: everyone else

that's the basic point here?

Because if so, what do you call people who do scientific work every day but don't publish? People who do research kinds of stuff, but never get their name on a "real" paper? Should they just bung it all in and go dig ditches?
Welch, we were bitching that she was bitching about the con. She was speaking at billed her as scibabe(her chosen stage name) and had her real name second. She then accused the con of sexism by her being the only one so listed.( when in reality Mr. Deity was list by his stage name first as well)

She and folks like her are and acting as science communicators, not scientists.

That's no insult. Carl Sagan was a science communicator first. It s a job not to be taken lightly, we can use as many as possible.

dogen

Post by dogen »

Shatterface wrote:
dogen wrote:Discovering supernovae does not require any detailed knowledge of stellar structure & evolution. Rather, it needs a completely different toolset (including an understanding of instrumentation, and access to the same) plus a good familiarity with the sky. This toolset is often posessed by 'amateur' astronomers (quotes added to indicate that these people often really know their shit), and often *not* posessed by professional astronomers. But very few amateur astronomers are actively engaged in doing science, and so aren't scientists.

Put simply, You've confused 'astronomy/astrophysics' with 'things that can be seen through a telescope'.
I was talking about astronomy, which is a science, in the context of amateur science and amateur scientists.

A knowledge of stellar evolution isn't necessary for astronomy unless you think there were no astronomers prior to Fred Hoyle, or that the study of celestial bodies other than stars do not qualify as science either.

You're arguing that a tourist to the galapagos, who notices something about finch beaks but has no understanding of biological evolution, is therefore a scientist. Bravo.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Couch wrote:
Hmm, Limousin.

Famous as the location of that significant Allied breach of the German lines, in late October '44, which most war historians attribute as being due to the cunning use of the (then) new 'Firefly' Sherman, equipped with the more powerful 75mm gun.

(somehow I don't think I'm going to quite slip that one through).

Yes the French may be headwear-ist, but I'm more happy to overlook any politically problematic aspects of a culture if they assuage my hipster guilt with cuisine, preferrably anything involving potato. Limousin, as you probably knows, delivers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C3%A2t% ... s_de_terre

(I tried a bunch of times to get that URL to embed as a hyperlink...)
The paté aux pommes de terre is totally delicious, although it doesn't look much. I've made it myself - very easy http://www.binomegourmand.com/archives/ ... 86553.html Actually that wiki link appears to be wrong. When I buy it in the local boucherie or at the market, the Creusois/Limousin version is the one without meat, and the one with the Auvergne sticker on is the meat one. SEE STEERS, WIKIPEDIA IS WRONG. :roll:

As for Ze Germans, they were quite active around our way, commandeering the house for a while, supposedly because of the far reaching views all the way to the Massif Central from the second floor.
http://i.imgur.com/Bx317mJ.jpg

The family we bought the house off had owned it since 1934, and I am told that under wallpaper on the 2nd floor are crude doodles by bored soldiers, featuring WWI German pointy steels helmets and various parts of allied anatomy. Great location, with hardly any arseholes people around.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

rayshul wrote:
Steersman wrote:
rayshul wrote:Maybe in a year or so she'll look back at this and think okay maybe I'm expecting more charity from humans than is reasonable or possible.
I really don't think that pandering to the delusional qualifies as charity.
By charity I mean pity.
Oh. I was curious about where you were coming from.

But wouldn't that apply to everyone who is a popular target for maligning and mocking?

Dave

Post by Dave »

Shatterface wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote: Yeah, and SciBabe ain't practicing science any more than I am. She wants da title, she gotta earn it, degree or no. Nothing I've seen argues she's doing science, just a sideshow about degrees and history of science and a few folk who done it without any degrees, but nothing about what she done, yup. She just whined for victim points, and all the rest of this has nothing to do with her claims.
I'm not arguing that she is a scientist, I'm arguing that being a scientist is about practicing science, not the qualifications you have, the research grants, or the number of students, or any of the other shit the Steersbots have got hung up on.
With the caveat that things have become so specialized these days so its bloody hard to practice science as an amateur, I dont think anyone here is going to disagree with that. There may be some discussion over what exactly is practicing science, for example, does cataloging stars count? Or does it count if you never publish your work? But most everyone here will agree that to be a scientist, you must "do science."

If you have a PhD and a publication record in a relevant field, you get a presumption of being a scientist, but people without the degree can certainly do it (there may be legitimate disagreement if you can be a scientist without publications), as ERV pointed out there are several technicians in her lab who have progressed to doing science, but you will probably have a harder time showing it, because you actually have to show your work. Conversely, as the example of PZ demonstrates that presumption is rebuttable.

What ERV and others seem to be suggesting is that you dont get that presumption if you only have a Masters and no publication record. This agrees with my experience, as someone with a Masters. So, Scibabe doesnt get that presumption. If she wants to be considered a scientist, she needs to work for it.

A second, but related point is that science communication is different than science. This doesnt mean that science communication isnt important, it is, but its a different thing than doing science. So both Scibabe and The Science Guy are doing important work, but neither is a scientist. A reporter for Beatz magazine is not a musician (well, he may be if he plays at other times, but hes not a musician by virtue of reporting for Beatz) nor is an audio engineer or a record producer. They are all important to the music industry, but they are not musicians.

A third point that I believe was made, and I will second, is that the scientists I know dont call themselves "scientists." They are biologists, mycologists, biochemists, medical researchers, astrophysicists, theoretical nuclear physicsts, neurobiologists. Their self-descriptions almost always drill down to some sort of specialty within science. Others may call them a scientist, but they refer to themselves with more specific labels. As a result, I tend to be very skeptical when one claims to be simply a "scientist." In my experience thats a big sign that someone is looking for unearned credibility, either as an actual scientist speaking outside his field, or as a technician or lab worker looking to inflate his credentials.

Putting those items together leaves me a bit suspicious of Scibabe's latest kerfufle. She appears to want to be described as a "scientist" rather than a more specific label, on the basis of a Masters and no publication record, despite the fact that her actual activities are in science communication, not doing science. And assumes the only reason shes not so described is because sexism.

Nevermind the odd hypocrisy of objecting to being promoted with the branding ("Scibabe") that she created for herself, and she is best know under. Really? She doesnt recognize that Scibabe has much greater name recognition than Yvette D'Entremont? And in promotional material it makes sense to use the label with the most name recognition?

None of this disparages the work she did in fighting Vani Hari or her other science communication efforts. Those efforts stand on their own. But this does make me suspicious that she is not as clear a thinker as I might have assumed earlier when I only knew her from those efforts. For the moment, however, Ill borrow some of welch's optimism and assume this is a passing fancy.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

John D wrote:Oh my god.... carburetors were complete shit. I mean, they worked... once in a while. Cars are an order of magnitude more reliable than they where a few decades ago. There was a period where computer controlled combustion was fussy, but this shit works great now. When was the last time you "tuned" a car? Fuel use versus horsepower is significantly improved. Repair rates for almost ever vehicle system is a fraction of what it used to be.
+ a whole bunch

At the top of my list: I can't imagine combining forced induction with a carb.

Billie from Ockham

Service Dog wrote:
Oh my god.... carburetors were complete shit. I mean, they worked... once in a while. Cars are an order of magnitude more reliable than they where a few decades ago. There was a period where computer controlled combustion was fussy, but this shit works great now.... I do not try to fix my car when a control module breaks. No sense
Booo! Computers work great.... until they dont. then I am fucked. with a carb I can replace it with a wrong part... and get by.

Wolverines!! !
Taken to the extreme, you just argued that we should all walk.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
John D wrote:Oh my god.... carburetors were complete shit. I mean, they worked... once in a while. Cars are an order of magnitude more reliable than they where a few decades ago. There was a period where computer controlled combustion was fussy, but this shit works great now. When was the last time you "tuned" a car? Fuel use versus horsepower is significantly improved. Repair rates for almost ever vehicle system is a fraction of what it used to be.
+ a whole bunch

At the top of my list: I can't imagine combining forced induction with a carb.
I have no problem ingesting carbs.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Science is oddly elitist in comparison to other fields. Anyone who gets a degree related to civil engineering gets to call themselves an engineer. The only change comes with years of service, you might get to add principal in front of engineer, or move up and be Associate Engineer grade. My husband has a PhD. He occasionally publishes papers, but his peers with only a BSc are not lesser Engineers as a result. Although it may be true that fewer BScs make it to the top of the profession, but this is more a mark of the quality of the person, not their degree. Perhaps science could do with extracting its head from its arse a tad.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Brive1987 wrote:I've been needling Carrier for hitching his wagon to an alternative kook institute ("The Space" - that of the Reiki lessons).

His counter argument is that The Space is no different to a typical community library and offers free expression for all.

Exhibit A:

http://i.imgur.com/re1YJas.jpg

A quick check of past events provides this list of weird .... It's it's not kink its energy.

Exhibit B:

http://i.imgur.com/E7B0YY3.jpg

A check of the institute reveals the best recreation of an Operation Reinhard gas chamber I've ever seen.

Exhibit C:

http://i.imgur.com/iCDmDA7.jpg
That's just how Ohio looks, alas.

I've never lived with chronic depression, but Ohio was the next best thing

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Nude yoga? Sounds exactly like an Abby Winters film.

Dave

Post by Dave »

d4m10n wrote:Nude yoga? Sounds exactly like an Abby Winters film.
"Subs in Service Intensive"

"Whip it. Whip it good."

"Hardware Store Whipmaking Workshop"

Are these the events RC is thinking of when he speaks of "in the course of events?"

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

NoGodsEver wrote: Actually, an asteroid. And she goes so far as to include this tidbit on her bio at Skepchick. It's about on the same level as saying you have a coffee mug that declares that you are, in fact, The World's Greatest Dad.
If it could, I bet her cat 'd pee on the asteroid, too.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Doozy of a precious snowflake melts over The Triggering event at U Mass:

http://www.breitbart.com/milo/2016/05/0 ... ilo-event/

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

d4m10n wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:...A check of the institute reveals the best recreation of an Operation Reinhard gas chamber I've ever seen.

Exhibit C:

http://i.imgur.com/iCDmDA7.jpg
That's just how Ohio looks, alas.

Only 10 miles from where Dimebag was shot to death in another nondescript building. What a gruesome little patch of the midwest.

http://imgur.com/NxRiwhw.jpg

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Columbus Ohio is where Sarah Moglia lives. If the peer reviewed pinhead's move has anything to do with her, she's making a big mistake.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

d4m10n wrote: That's just how Ohio looks, alas.

I suffer from lifelong depression and I've lived in Ohio my whole life. Pity me.

It really is an armpit of a state. The sooner I win the Powerball and move to Maui the better.

Søren Lilholt

Post by Søren Lilholt »

Old_ones wrote:
ERV wrote:
I mean why *cant* there be Scientists? If it's something anyone can do, then what separates Jenny McCarthy from Francis Collins?
Why would you be using Francis Collins as an example of a scientist? Collins has been head of the NIH since 2009. That isn't a research position, and his NIH page only lists him as a "special volunteer" at the National Genomics Research Institute. His list of selected publications doesn't have a single one since 2013. https://www.genome.gov/10000646/collins-publications/

Better get back to publishing, Francis. You are about to join Jerry Coyne on the garbage pile with the has-beens.

On a serious note, the most glaring difference between McCarthy and Collins is that McCarthy is an ignoramus that regards medicine as some kind of conspiracy. Its not only that McCarthy doesn't have any training in science, she actively argues against established science without any original evidence or support from the literature. If anything she is an anti-scientist.
Francis Collins believes in the revealed truth of Christian doctrine because he once saw a waterfall.

He is an anti-scientist almost by definition.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Søren Lilholt wrote: Francis Collins believes in the revealed truth of Christian doctrine because he once saw a waterfall.
Well, duh. Everyone knows that if it weren't for Jesus, water would flow up.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Gumby wrote:

I suffer from lifelong depression and I've lived in Ohio my whole life. Pity me.

It really is an armpit of a state. The sooner I win the Powerball and move to Maui the better.
I left Columbus for Alaska. Where were you Gumby? I was in Merion Village for a bit and then Bexley.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Remember when I said that even though I support anyone's right to use any restroom that I was glad that some conservative groups were challenging Target's policy, because I thought it raise awareness of the we invent our own reality set? I've changed my mind. Apparently they're just loud mouthed christians going into stores and yelling at people. Yep. I should've known better. That's on me.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

d4m10n wrote:Nude yoga? Sounds exactly like an Abby Winters film.
"And now back to topless darts at Roehampton."

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Gumby wrote:

I left Columbus for Alaska. Where were you Gumby? I was in Merion Village for a bit and then Bexley.
Left you a PM.

BoxNDox

Post by BoxNDox »

free thoughtpolice wrote:John D wrote:
Of course, you will find some crank who says the twin towers will not go down from jet fuel.... but.... it is the rest of the real engineers who actually know you can.
More evidence that engineers were behind 911.! :ugeek:
Ahem.

http://press.princeton.edu/titles/10656.html

(The Engineers of Jihad)

Billie from Ockham

Kirbmarc wrote:PZ Myers is a scientist.
That may have been true at some point in the past. I see no evidence (via any academic search device) that it is still true.

Billie from Ockham

feathers wrote:But the important question is, should there be segregated toilets for real scientists and those who merely co-opt the term?
You may laugh (and your post was funny), but there was a serious discussion at my post-doc about using grant money to buy better toilet paper, but it broke down when no-one could come up with a way to prevent those without grants from using it, too.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Gumby wrote: I suffer from lifelong depression and I've lived in Ohio my whole life. Pity me.

Maui has plates of poi with an higher elevation than Ohio.

John D

Post by John D »

BoxNDox wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:John D wrote:
Of course, you will find some crank who says the twin towers will not go down from jet fuel.... but.... it is the rest of the real engineers who actually know you can.
More evidence that engineers were behind 911.! :ugeek:
Ahem.

http://press.princeton.edu/titles/10656.html

(The Engineers of Jihad)
Yep - I know a bunch of engineers who are very fundamentalist. One of my coworkers is a degreed engineer and thinks the earth is 6000 years old. IMHO there are lots of engineers who follow rules of thumb. These rules are what allows for fast (if not always perfect) problem solving. If the rules work engineers tend to not question them... they just follow them. Religion is like that. I am a super liberal compared to most engineers I know. I can name only one other engineer I have worked with that calls himself an atheist as I do. I have probably worked with hundreds of engineers in my career. Not that we would necessarily share our religious views, but I think it is interesting. I have also read surveys that support my claim that among all the STEM fields, engineers are the most religious.... more than doctors and scientists for sure.

Billie from Ockham

Shatterface wrote:I'm not arguing that she is a scientist, I'm arguing that being a scientist is about practicing science, not the qualifications you have, the research grants, or the number of students, or any of the other shit the Steersbots have got hung up on.
Agreed! :clap:

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

FFS Abbie, did you have to invoke the SteersWonderistWelch. He is never wrong, even when some level of subjectivity is concerned. He argues like a sack of wet cats and is ALWAYS dogmatic about it.

Billie from Ockham

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Doozy of a precious snowflake melts over The Triggering event at U Mass:

http://www.breitbart.com/milo/2016/05/0 ... ilo-event/
I love that the writer is a "pre-law" undergrad at Hampshire.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

Shatterface wrote:

Exactly, and the crux of the point being made is that Scibabe does not appear to be practicing science in any way that would warrant the title of scientist by the common understanding and she looks like she's trying to steal the prestige. Some folks appear to be glued to the idea that the original point was ALL about academic qualifications.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

dogen wrote:
Shatterface wrote:

You're arguing that a tourist to the galapagos, who notices something about finch beaks but has no understanding of biological evolution, is therefore a scientist. Bravo.
If that's what I was arguing that's what I'd have fucking written.

Fucking retard.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

A scientist is someone who contributes to science, which requires in one shape or another to interact with the scientific community, i.e. academia. The standard path is to have some academcial degree, and being in close touch with the field, but that is in theory not important. But, in reality, there are of course networks and there is reputation and all these things that do matter. While it's technically possible for some tinkerer without any education to do science in their barn and submit their findings, they are probably overlooked and have a hard time to meaningfully contribute. Without the interaction with academia, and nothing to submit, I would not consider someone a scientist. Though as with other discussions about categorization, this is also graded. Someone who did submit and remains immersed in some discpline but doesn't submit currently, or anymore is — in my book — a scientist proper.

I guess the more curious question is: Why is the title 'scientist' even important? Doesn't it suggest that in some communities, milleus, parts of society, the scientist has become a new kind of High Priest, uniquely in tune with The Truth? Couldn't this be the real reason why some people want to have the title, either because they see it as a confirmation of their own self image, or because they think they ought to have it, otherwise the populace won't as readily accept their pronounciations?

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Shatterface wrote:I'm not arguing that she is a scientist, I'm arguing that being a scientist is about practicing science, not the qualifications you have, the research grants, or the number of students, or any of the other shit the Steersbots have got hung up on.
Apparently some here see science as an exclusive club that even fucking Darwin couldn't join.

blitzem

Post by blitzem »

HunnyBunny wrote:Science is oddly elitist in comparison to other fields. Anyone who gets a degree related to civil engineering gets to call themselves an engineer. The only change comes with years of service, you might get to add principal in front of engineer, or move up and be Associate Engineer grade. My husband has a PhD. He occasionally publishes papers, but his peers with only a BSc are not lesser Engineers as a result. Although it may be true that fewer BScs make it to the top of the profession, but this is more a mark of the quality of the person, not their degree. Perhaps science could do with extracting its head from its arse a tad.
In Canada you aren't allowed to call yourself an engineer on any sort of documentation until you write your ethics exams and get your P. Eng, and that's only after 4 years of logged work under a qualified P. Eng from a recognized professional organization. The correct pre-P. Eng term is EIT...engineer in training.

(This may have changed in the years since I got my B. Eng. I don't really keep up on the regulations unless I have to.)

Billie from Ockham

Aneris wrote:A scientist is someone who contributes to science, which requires in one shape or another to interact with the scientific community, i.e. academia. The standard path is to have some academcial degree, and being in close touch with the field, but that is in theory not important. But, in reality, there are of course networks and there is reputation and all these things that do matter. While it's technically possible for some tinkerer without any education to do science in their barn and submit their findings, they are probably overlooked and have a hard time to meaningfully contribute. Without the interaction with academia, and nothing to submit, I would not consider someone a scientist. Though as with other discussions about categorization, this is also graded. Someone who did submit and remains immersed in some discpline but doesn't submit currently, or anymore is — in my book — a scientist proper.

I guess the more curious question is: Why is the title 'scientist' even important? Doesn't it suggest that in some communities, milleus, parts of society, the scientist has become a new kind of High Priest, uniquely in tune with The Truth? Couldn't this be the real reason why some people want to have the title, either because they see it as a confirmation of their own self image, or because they think they ought to have it, otherwise the populace won't as readily accept their pronounciations?
It's been a while since I've both understood and agreed with one of your posts, but this is one. I'll add that there have been a few contributions to my field by people without an academic or research-related job, one of which was the first model of Bloch's Law by a guy (Jim Hildreth) who used his home address as the byline on the paper. But note that he wrote and submitted the paper, and it was published in a top-tier journal. If he had just remained an amateur who solved a puzzle at home and never told anyone, then he'd be irrelevant.

dogen

Post by dogen »

Shatterface wrote:
Apparently some here see science as an exclusive club that even fucking Darwin couldn't join.

Fucking retard.

Billie from Ockham

blitzem wrote:In Canada you aren't allowed to call yourself an engineer on any sort of documentation until you write your ethics exams and get your P. Eng, and that's only after 4 years of logged work under a qualified P. Eng from a recognized professional organization. The correct pre-P. Eng term is EIT...engineer in training.

(This may have changed in the years since I got my B. Eng. I don't really keep up on the regulations unless I have to.)
Same down here. [Reza-Aslan-voice] I'm a professor of psychology with a PhD in the field (and 40+ pubs etc etc) [/Reza-Aslan-voice], but I can't call my a "psychologist" in the state where I live because I haven't passed (or even sat for) the boards and don't have malpractice insurance.

Fucking APA.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

dogen wrote:
Shatterface wrote:Apparently some here see science as an exclusive club that even fucking Darwin couldn't join.

Fucking retard.
Why don't you address the points we are making instead of straw manning the shit out of what people are saying?

Darwin noticed there was something odd about finches' beaks, he had no knowledge of evolution at the time, and he was the ship's doctor, not an academic.

You couldn't have picked a dumber fucking example if your tried.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Is Scibabe appearing at this con in her quality as a scientist, or as the popular science communicator she presents as when being Scibabe?

If the former, then yes "scientist" should be the qualifier attached. If the later, then Scibabe should be the qualifier.

Simple as that.

If Greg Graffin is invited to speak at a punk-rock event about the US punk scene in the last 30 years, is there a point in advertising him as a paleontologist? If he's presenting a lecture on early dinosaurs at a paleontology convention, should he be presented as the singer from Bad Religion?

Of course, he could be presented as both for both gatherings. That would work.

But it's because he's a real scientist... :dance:

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

blitzem wrote:
HunnyBunny wrote:Science is oddly elitist in comparison to other fields. Anyone who gets a degree related to civil engineering gets to call themselves an engineer. The only change comes with years of service, you might get to add principal in front of engineer, or move up and be Associate Engineer grade. My husband has a PhD. He occasionally publishes papers, but his peers with only a BSc are not lesser Engineers as a result. Although it may be true that fewer BScs make it to the top of the profession, but this is more a mark of the quality of the person, not their degree. Perhaps science could do with extracting its head from its arse a tad.
In Canada you aren't allowed to call yourself an engineer on any sort of documentation until you write your ethics exams and get your P. Eng, and that's only after 4 years of logged work under a qualified P. Eng from a recognized professional organization. The correct pre-P. Eng term is EIT...engineer in training.

Some people will use the term carpenter for anyone that has ever swung a hammer, but technically, here at least, you need to pass a test and work in the field for a certain amount of time at the trade before you are recognized as a carpenter in the industry.

dogen

Post by dogen »

Shatterface wrote:
dogen wrote:
Shatterface wrote:Apparently some here see science as an exclusive club that even fucking Darwin couldn't join.

Fucking retard.
Why don't you address the points we are making instead of straw manning the shit out of what people are saying?

Darwin noticed there was something odd about finches' beaks, he had no knowledge of evolution at the time, and he was the ship's doctor, not an academic.

You couldn't have picked a dumber fucking example if your tried.
But the point is, Darwin tried to figure out why the beaks were different. *That* was the science. Merely observing the difference, while a first step along the science pathway, doesn't constitute a full cycle of the scientific method (observe-hypothesize-predict-reobserve).

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:Exactly, and the crux of the point being made is that Scibabe does not appear to be practicing science in any way that would warrant the title of scientist by the common understanding and she looks like she's trying to steal the prestige. Some folks appear to be glued to the idea that the original point was ALL about academic qualifications.
Probably benevolent sexism. Carrier's claim to be peer-reviewed is no less true than her claims of being a scientist.