The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
JackSkeptic

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by JackSkeptic »

Scented Nectar wrote:
JackSkeptic wrote:It's from the Communist manifesto but like all cults it's very relegious, they even have the 'amen' equivalent at the end.

Anyway one of the reasons I stopped any sort of atheist activisim is the realisation some humans just have to believe something even if it is total bunk as long as it pushes all emotional buttons and explains everything. Even Scientists like Myers fall for it. So for every person who stops believing in god they are just as likley to fall for something else, like Neo Progessivism. Especially as it allows them to remain abusive, self righteous, sexist and racist yet be praised for it. It takes no real effort or thought and you can virtue signal all day long to feed you emotional needs.

Humans have not yet evolved to be resistant to this.
Another enlightenment age is needed. Future people should look back in horror and relief at not being like that any more.

Oh, and why on earth are you calling Myers a scientist? LOL, couldn't resist that one. :lol:
Sorry, I should have put in a trigger warning before calling him a scientist ;)

ERV angry retort in 3...2...1....

Tapir

Post by Tapir »

Scented Nectar wrote: "University Students Chanting: "We have Nothing to Lose but our Chains" "
[youtube]TvRlJ_MzoII[/youtube]
Revolutionary biscuits of Italy, rise up out of your box!

RebeccaB

Post by RebeccaB »

Tapir wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote: "University Students Chanting: "We have Nothing to Lose but our Chains" "
Last ten seconds of this: could that possibly be Melissa Click in the line of protesters? Sure looks like her, but the image isn't very clear.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

RebeccaB wrote:
Tapir wrote:
Last ten seconds of this: could that possibly be Melissa Click in the line of protesters? Sure looks like her, but the image isn't very clear.
Yep, that's her. She's been a busy little insane person.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

That bit at the end was from when The Mizzou people blocked the homecoming parade. It's from long before Melissa Click was fired and before she called for "muscle" on the quad.

Aneris

Make America Great Again!

Post by Aneris »

Taken from the german Postillon, which has a vision how great America could be by 2018.

http://i.imgur.com/rEvgtST.jpg

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Kasich just dropped out of the race .

The Trump stands alone.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Scented Nectar wrote:
JackSkeptic wrote:It's from the Communist manifesto but like all cults it's very relegious, they even have the 'amen' equivalent at the end.

Anyway one of the reasons I stopped any sort of atheist activisim is the realisation some humans just have to believe something even if it is total bunk as long as it pushes all emotional buttons and explains everything. Even Scientists like Myers fall for it. So for every person who stops believing in god they are just as likley to fall for something else, like Neo Progessivism. Especially as it allows them to remain abusive, self righteous, sexist and racist yet be praised for it. It takes no real effort or thought and you can virtue signal all day long to feed you emotional needs.

Another enlightenment age is needed. Future people should look back in horror and relief at not being like that any more.

Oh, and why on earth are you calling Myers a scientist? LOL, couldn't resist that one. :lol:
My bet is that there will be a wave of New Enlightenment in a few years, Steven Pinker is writing on this and quite possibly other authors are going in this direction, too. I hope Richard Dawkins and others (Jerry Coyne?) will add to it. It's bound to happen as an update of New Atheism, and as a reaction to the continued science-denial from the Right, and the new challenges coming from a new anti-intellectual left. There is a lot of material in there for many authors. I keep my fingers crossed.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

At least we still have the Democratic Party to keep us amused.

Bernie has been taking some good shots at Shillary lately. Not a good sign that she is 't sweeping him away by this point.

This should be a juicy election cycle.

Billie from Ockham

How many of us predicted that the GOP nominee would be settled before the Democrat?

Yeah.

Me, neither.

blitzem

Post by blitzem »

screwtape wrote:
blitzem wrote: No worries. I was just pointing out that in Canada we can be a bit silly and pedantic at times with our professional organizations.

And everybody knows that engineers are illeterate. :D
I believe that in Canada becoming a P.Eng. is optional, but a requirement if you are going to take responsibility/liability for your work. Otherwise you have to work under a senior engineer who has that qualification. Details. Roughly equivalent to holding a full medical license as opposed to a defined license. My father was a C.Eng., F.I.Struct.E. and an M.I.Mun.E. in the UK, and all are the same: you do your 'Civils', 'Municipals, and 'Structurals' to be allowed to work independently in those areas.

The really curious thing about Canadian engineers is the story behind the iron ring and the semi-mystical ceremony authored by Rudyard Kipling which initiates them into the brotherhood. Here's a wikipedia link for Steers.
Yep, that's pretty much it. Most of my classmates didn't want to write their ethics exams in Toronto because they didn't want the responsibility of signing off on someone else's work. A few did, though, mostly to start their own companies.

And the ring ceremony was awesome. Except for the culturally challenged international students who stood around the cracker table double-dipping the guacamole.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

JackSkeptic wrote:It's from the Communist manifesto but like all cults it's very religious, they even have the 'amen' equivalent at the end.

Anyway one of the reasons I stopped any sort of atheist activism is the realization some humans just have to believe something even if it is total bunk as long as it pushes all emotional buttons and explains everything. Even Scientists like Myers fall for it. So for every person who stops believing in god they are just as likely to fall for something else, like Neo Progessivism. Especially as it allows them to remain abusive, self righteous, sexist and racist yet be praised for it. It takes no real effort or thought and you can virtue signal all day long to feed you emotional needs.

Humans will likely never evolve to be completely resistant to this, unless we build up support very efficient support networks for those who are (or see themselves as) outcasts.

Human nature is tribalistic to its core, because we're herd animals. Until very recently (in evolutionary terms) most humans were born, lived and died in the same group, which was usually their extended family. They rarely (if ever) met strangers who weren't direct competitors (and therefore enemies).

This has changed. Due to various technological and social developments basic tribal mentality (where your tribe is often your extended family) has shifted to a set of more complex relationships between individuals and society. Many people today interact mostly with complete strangers on a regular basis. Many of us live far from our parents and family, and we often don't know our neighbors. Many of us live without a clear "group" to belong to.

For a lot of people this situation causes a lot of stress. Depression is common among people who are for one reason or another (ostracism, emigration, work) isolated from a "community", from a "family". We're simply not made to be loners.

This easily explains why many people wish to join a community, no matter which. Once you join a group it's easy to fall prey to group mentality. Group-thinking causes in-group morality and out-group hostility. Systems of belief are simply ways which help different individuals to coalesce into a group. Traditions and rituals are a way to smooth down differences and focus the group on the common goal. People stop thinking for themselves and start repeating what the group wants. Eventually, if the group is successful enough the rituals lose their meaning and become simply identifiers for the in-group status (basically they're a way to say "one of us! one of us!").

Groups made up of lonely people are particularly heterogeneous and many of them need to signal their group indicators in a loud, pervasive way.

This is why cults exist. Cults are a substitute for the traditional family-group-tribe. They're the extreme expression of group mentality. The only ties that cult members have are within the cult. Everyone who doesn't belong to the cult is an enemy, impure, a "suppressive person", etc.

"Social justice" is only the latest in a long line of cults (to be more precise, social justice is a collection of cults, not all of which go together in perfect harmony). It's centered on universities or the Internet, where people from different backgrounds and with weak social ties (often because they've been ostracized for one reason or another) come to find social support from groups which claim to be fighting for a righteous cause.

For example fat people who feel inferior, ostracized or depressed can find a place where they are appreciated, apparently unconditionally. The same is true for many different kinds of social outcasts or people who perceive themselves to be social outcasts (non-heterosexual people, minorities, nerds, atheists, etc.)

"Social justice" cults give those people focus, social support ("safe spaces", group hugs, etc.) and a common goal or purpose. People like Trigglypuff, who no doubt feel ostracized and rejected in some areas of their life, cling to the respect, support and sense of purpose they get from the Social Justice Fat Activism cult at their university. She's not going to give up that respect and support anytime soon.

And to be fair, why should she? She's not likely to be respected or appreciated outside of her cult, especially not now that she's turned into a minor celebrity. In her case giving up Fat Activism would mean social suicide.

This is also the case for many other people who are involved in the various SJ cults. Some of them will eventually find a way to build up a social support network which isn't totally dependent on their cult. Many of them won't and they will stay in the cult.

But considering just how much they've invested in the cult, and how hard it is for them to build a social support network outside of it (especially if they've been a member during their formative years), it's hard to seriously blame them. The best way to leave a cult is to never join it. If you live a cult you start from zero, and that's not for everyone.

Maybe in the future we'll need to help some people recover from the damage of the SJ cults, just like some people help former Scientologists.

Søren Lilholt

Post by Søren Lilholt »

Spike13 wrote:At least we still have the Democratic Party to keep us amused.

Bernie has been taking some good shots at Shillary lately. Not a good sign that she is 't sweeping him away by this point.

I just wish the FBI would hurry up and arrest the cunt. Surely that's what Bernie's banking on?

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Aneris wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:

My bet is that there will be a wave of New Enlightenment in a few years, Steven Pinker is writing on this and quite possibly other authors are going in this direction, too. I hope Richard Dawkins and others (Jerry Coyne?) will add to it. It's bound to happen as an update of New Atheism, and as a reaction to the continued science-denial from the Right, and the new challenges coming from a new anti-intellectual left. There is a lot of material in there for many authors. I keep my fingers crossed.
It might be like a boil that's come to a head. It's ugly, festering, and stinky, but maybe now it can start healing.

I am so glad I'm not a doctor, or even a nurse, who has to lance boils. Yuck.

Billie from Ockham

Søren Lilholt wrote:I just wish the FBI would hurry up and arrest the cunt. Surely that's what Bernie's banking on?
That would be sooo fucking cool. After 7+ years of doing absolutely nothing to those that enabled torture, to charge Hilary Clinton would un-be-fucking-lievably cool.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Brive1987 wrote:My son just gave me a lecture on how his circle felt that Hillary was a rape enabler. Apparently the power differential between Bill and Monica was the equivalent of her being permanently drunk.

I'm hoping son's wry smile indicated appropriate self awareness.

I am not sure he is for off. There is quiet a long list of women who have publicly come forth about Bill.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Kirbmarc wrote:
JackSkeptic wrote:It's from the Communist manifesto but like all cults it's very religious, they even have the 'amen' equivalent at the end.
<snip>

Humans will likely never evolve to be completely resistant to this, unless we build up support very efficient support networks for those who are (or see themselves as) outcasts.
<snip>

Maybe in the future we'll need to help some people recover from the damage of the SJ cults, just like some people help former Scientologists.
Nice bit of analysis and observation that highlights some of the problematic features of identity politics. Which is, apparently, a rather poorly understood phenomenon, though there's hardly a shortage of cases-in-point. Wikipedia:
While "in the psychoanalytic literature there is agreement that the core meaning of identification is simple - to be like or to become like another", it has also been adjudged '"the most perplexing clinical/theoretical area" in psychoanalysis'.
But it seems rather important to understand the roots of that process - maybe we should be looking to develop a vaccine to innoculate people, particularly the young, against the pernicious effects of it? And, maybe arguably, I think it is important to go a little deeper than just psychology, and get down to the bedrock of physiology and neurology for a workable understanding. Say, have I mentioned (recently) that there are some parallels with physical coupled systems like metronomes? ;-) :

[youtube]JWToUATLGzs[/youtube]

In any case, I'm also reminded of something from Nietzsche:
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
Groups can have their benefits. But "every place of refuge has its price" and all that, and sometimes the cost of allegiance to them is far more than can be justified.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

screwtape wrote: <snip>

Here's a wikipedia link for Steers.
Be still, my beating heart ... :-)

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Søren Lilholt wrote:

I just wish the FBI would hurry up and arrest the cunt. Surely that's what Bernie's banking on?
Bernie knows he's lost. He's been hemorrhaging campaign staff and making statements about plan b.
Mr. Sanders has started to talk more openly about the possibility of not winning the Democratic contest. During a rally in Indiana he talked not just of his path to victory but discussed what he might do if he lost.

He stressed he was in the race to “win and become the Democratic nominee.” But he also said if he did not succeed he would try to get as many delegates as possible and “put together the strongest progressive agenda any political party has ever seen.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/28/us/po ... paign.html

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Has anybody noticed another SJW infight, this time between Ofie and Lindy West?

Couldn't happen to 2 nicer people!
[.tweet][/tweet]

I like how Ofie thinks Lindy is "conforming to the orthodoxy". Both of them are fucking nuts, AFAIAC.
More so for West, methinks, than for Benson. Afterall, it was she who drew a line in the sand in the face of the purity test, "do you believe trans women are women, yes or no?!?".

But kind of amusing that West would, apparently or presumably, accept that Muscato is a woman yet insist that a "trans man", who is clearly pregnant and who is or was capable of "producing ova", isn't. Rank Lysenkoism where ideology trumps science. Although, it seems that some who should know better apparently don't ... ;-)

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Søren Lilholt wrote:

It's still possible for Sanders to win on a delegate count. Not very likely but possible.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Steersman wrote:But it seems rather important to understand the roots of that process - maybe we should be looking to develop a vaccine to innoculate people, particularly the young, against the pernicious effects of it? And, maybe arguably, I think it is important to go a little deeper than just psychology, and get down to the bedrock of physiology and neurology for a workable understanding.
I don't think that we've understood human neurology well enough to develop a vaccine for group mentality.

Since group mentality is likely an epiphenomenon of some aspects of human neurology (a likely candidate are mirror neurons) it's hard to say whether it's even possible to develop such a "vaccine" or whether group mentality is simply the natural consequence of the way human (or in general primate) brains are shaped.

The best "vaccines" are probably social support networks for people at risk of being involved in cults or for former cult members.
Groups can have their benefits. But "every place of refuge has its price" and all that, and sometimes the cost of allegiance to them is far more than can be justified.
Everyone needs some kind of social support network. Cults, however, are isolated social networks, which combine the worst of group mentality with complete commitment to the survival of the cult.

A normal social support network is, to a degree, open: people can come and leave, they can belong to more than one network (different groups of friends, family, colleagues, neighbors, etc.) and there's not such an extreme focus on group loyalty and virtue signalling.

Cults are totalitarian. They require total commitment. If you're a member of cult you must put the cult above family, friends and everything else. You must denounce family and friends as impure, and either make them join the cult or reject them. That's what's incredibly harmful about cults.

Billie from Ockham

"We had a perfectly functional 'vaccine' for human behavior until you people fucked it up."

- some theist to an atheist, many times in the past

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Old_ones wrote: Respect is given.

[.img]http://www.bbc.co.uk/staticarchive/9547 ... 6163ef.jpg[/img]

(but seriously, this is really just to frighten Steersman... ;) )
What with Steerz' imminent plan to nuke Mecca, this lot really need to get their duck-and-cover down better.
:-) B52s in the air, as we speak ....

Somewhat apropos of which - and something which some of the present company might do well to give some serious thought to - a comment by Anjuli on her blog post in response to someone else:
Anjuli says
2016-05-04 at 00:04
or offer an alternative version of the Koran, perhaps one printed in English that also excludes or re-couches the obligation of violence inherent in the original text ....
Unfortunately, Lorn, this is precisely what you cannot do. The Qur’an is the final word of God. It is perfect in every way. There can be no doubt about it. All who adhere to it are compelled to kill all who suggest otherwise. To change the Qur’an is to claim that you are more perfect than God. Someone, any one of 1.7 billion people, can turn up at your door one day and carry out Allah’s commandment. Any talk of how many peaceful Muslims there are in the world is irrelevant as long as there is one out there who will obey the Qur’an. Here is an example. It took only 19 hijackers to plunge the world into horror. What percentage of 1.7 billion is that? The Qur’an implicates every Muslim in this. It’s the most horrible catch-22 in history and Western moderate Muslims and Islamic reformers are the worst at covering this up. ....

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Aneris wrote:My bet is that there will be a wave of New Enlightenment in a few years, Steven Pinker is writing on this and quite possibly other authors are going in this direction, too. I hope Richard Dawkins and others (Jerry Coyne?) will add to it. It's bound to happen as an update of New Atheism, and as a reaction to the continued science-denial from the Right, and the new challenges coming from a new anti-intellectual left. There is a lot of material in there for many authors. I keep my fingers crossed.
I'm rereading the Foundation series at the moment and I think we are in dire need of a Hari Seldon.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Shatterface wrote:
Aneris wrote:My bet is that there will be a wave of New Enlightenment in a few years, Steven Pinker is writing on this and quite possibly other authors are going in this direction, too. I hope Richard Dawkins and others (Jerry Coyne?) will add to it. It's bound to happen as an update of New Atheism, and as a reaction to the continued science-denial from the Right, and the new challenges coming from a new anti-intellectual left. There is a lot of material in there for many authors. I keep my fingers crossed.
I'm rereading the Foundation series at the moment and I think we are in dire need of a Hari Seldon.
We'd also need a Daneel Olivaw, but our robots aren't advanced enough. The best we can offer is Steers. :(

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Billie from Ockham wrote:"We had a perfectly functional 'vaccine' for human behavior until you people fucked it up."

- some theist to an atheist, many times in the past
They weren't the vaccine, they were only another virus.

Billie from Ockham

Shatterface wrote:I'm rereading the Foundation series at the moment and I think we are in dire need of a Hari Seldon.
Fine, but here's hoping that this Hari Seldon knows that psychology concerns the behavior of individuals, not huge groups.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

This is quiet a pit kill.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

comhcinc wrote:This is quiet a pit kill.
Sssh!

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

MarcusAu wrote:
Sssh!

I will not be silenced!

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

comhcinc wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:
Sssh!

I will not be silenced!
Be quite.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

You Twitterers could go entertain Watson. She's obviously bored and fishing for some attention:

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

ERV wrote:
Doing what?

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

ERV wrote:
You Twitterers could go entertain Watson. She's obviously bored and fishing for some attention:

It's worse than that, Rebecca. Thunderf00t takes in 3.5 times as much with only twice the Patrons. Even free money is misogynistic.

In a just world, you would've been born a Kardashian.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

They are coming for you Dave!

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Couch wrote:My last post makes more sense if the first sentence includes the following italicised words:

I just always assumed genes were a small factor in life expectancy differences between races ..... Etc
Race is a social construct, except for when it is not. Think in terms of population groups is what I say. Actually what I tell people is to think in terms of breeds. Like dogs, cows etc.

For some reason that does not go down well with lots of people. More than a few give me a queasy look.

Anyway, remember that racism has to have institutional power before it becomes real racism? So that Blacks in the USA can not be racist? Check this out: From N.Y. college students accused of fabricating racially motivated attack
But university police said an investigation revealed that no one used racial epithets against the women. Instead, they assaulted another passenger and falsely reported the incident.
"What happened on the bus was not a 'hate crime,'" University Police Chief Frank Wiley said in February. "The only person we heard uttering racial epithets was one of the defendants."
So the students were arrested for falsely reporting a race crime, when it sounds to me that they should also have also been charged with a race crime.

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

Wow, just seen a news report on the forest fires in Canada, I know there are a few Canucks here at the pit, so hopefully no one affected. Devastating for the people involved.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Is there a legal way to remove all PETA activists from the rest of civilization? Asking for suggestions.

http://www.thewrap.com/peta-blasts-sili ... nged-rape/

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

My little scrub skirmish is bubbling along.

http://i.imgur.com/0iD1OgZ.jpg

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

ERV wrote:
I've been told that a surefire remedy for boredom is something known as a "job".

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: I've been told that a surefire remedy for boredom is something known as a "job".
Rebecca Watson was sitting in a bar one afternoon, getting hammered. A man walks up to her and whispers in her ear, "Hey honey, how about giving me a blow job?"

Outraged, Watson got up from her barstool and beat the living fuck out of the guy with her beer mug, then dragged his unconscious body outside.

When she returned to her seat the bartender came up to her and said "Hey, what did that guy say to you to make you go off on him like that?"

Watson replied "I dunno. Something about a job."

blitzem

Post by blitzem »

Oglebart wrote:Wow, just seen a news report on the forest fires in Canada, I know there are a few Canucks here at the pit, so hopefully no one affected. Devastating for the people involved.
TY for the good wishes, but those that I know of are not very close. I am a couple thousand kms away.

Was surprised though how quickly the fire spread. It isn't even fire season yet, AKAIK.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Oglebart wrote:Wow, just seen a news report on the forest fires in Canada, I know there are a few Canucks here at the pit, so hopefully no one affected. Devastating for the people involved.
It's ok. The left says that Alberta doesn't need as much fire fighting services as they used to have, and they've cut their budget.

"Notley NDP axe $15M from wildfire budget with dangerous fire season ahead"
[youtube]dt7LuH6dHoU[/youtube]

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

It's like a career bomb went off 7 years ago.

http://i.imgur.com/mntUaUB.jpg

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Someday the ebegging cash will dry up and she'll just be an NEET nearing middle age.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

comhcinc wrote:
ERV wrote:
Doing what?
What she means is that every person giving her a dollar should really raise that to $1.33

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

For so long we have heard about how she followed in the footsteps of giants, graduating from magic shop to skepticism.

Well, alas, Funtastic has closed, but it's digital memories remain.

And to me it looks like the typical novelty shop selling fart door signs and soft porn lava lamps. I'm sure it had its quota of fake blood capsules and impossible metal rings. But magic shop it ain't.

Yet again I fear we have a story that grew in the telling.

http://i.imgur.com/ylqfypL.jpg

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Funtastic. Funusual.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Gumby wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: I've been told that a surefire remedy for boredom is something known as a "job".
Rebecca Watson was sitting in a bar one afternoon, getting hammered. A man walks up to her and whispers in her ear, "Hey honey, how about giving me a blow job?"

Outraged, Watson got up from her barstool and beat the living fuck out of the guy with her beer mug, then dragged his unconscious body outside.

When she returned to her seat the bartender came up to her and said "Hey, what did that guy say to you to make you go off on him like that?"

Watson replied "I dunno. Something about a job."
Genuine lol. Thanks.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Reading PZ's SETI piece I really he doesn't really give a shit whether people pursue SETI or not. It's just another opportunity to annoy people. He really is the troll of trolls. Remember the chubby kid in high school who enjoyed annoying the jocks but enjoyed getting slapped around even more? That's PZ.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Looking at Google results, magic does not figure at all in any of the descriptions. Funusual was all about toys, gifts and quirky homewares.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Hah Becks boyfriend missed his one and only pity-fuck.

I bet he still dreams of what might have been.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Hunt wrote:Reading PZ's SETI piece I really he doesn't really give a shit whether people pursue SETI or not. It's just another opportunity to annoy people. He really is the troll of trolls. Remember the chubby kid in high school who enjoyed annoying the jocks but enjoyed getting slapped around even more? That's PZ.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Hunt wrote:Reading PZ's SETI piece I really he doesn't really give a shit whether people pursue SETI or not. It's just another opportunity to annoy people. He really is the troll of trolls. Remember the chubby kid in high school who enjoyed annoying the jocks but enjoyed getting slapped around even more? That's PZ.
Christ, he's feeble, isn't he. Look at this:
And who wants that kind of radical life-changing event anyway? Lottery winners aren’t made happier by getting a bucket of money dumped on them,
Yes they are. But I digress -
and the results of a successful SETI search are even less certainly positive. If we aren’t beaming our hard-earned secrets of science and technology to random stars in the galaxy, why should we expect other species to do us that favor? If we use us as an example, aliens would be more likely to transmit their holy books to the stars, or the contents of bad sitcoms, or ultimatums demanding tribute or face total annihilation.
Fuck me. What a bean-counting, beige, boiled cabbage approach to the concept of discovery. His lack of vision here isn't even pedestrian; it's grudging, recessive, almost religious in it's snide attitude to the very idea of finding something so amazingly new. Yes, SETI is basically a gamble; and yes, even if that remarkable signal were to be found, there's not a lot which can be done with it, in practical terms.

But we'd know. We'd look up at night skies and know they're out there. We'd know we're not alone. I'd be willing to bet that most people here find their imagination and sense of wonder at least fired up a little by the concept. But Peez - 'Meh. Oh look, someone's dissing atheists for not being into social justice again. That's the important shit, right there.'

Twat.

RebeccaB

Post by RebeccaB »

It's pretty dire, all right. My son-in-law was evacuated from one of the Suncor camps last night, as they were clearing space for evacuees from the town. The oil patch in Alberta was already in trouble, and the knock-on effects will be felt across Canada since so many of the work force came from other provinces. My daughter (the carpenter) has worked on construction sites in the town, and most of her workmates were from the Maritimes. It's a national disaster. :(

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

RebeccaB wrote:
It's pretty dire, all right. My son-in-law was evacuated from one of the Suncor camps last night, as they were clearing space for evacuees from the town. The oil patch in Alberta was already in trouble, and the knock-on effects will be felt across Canada since so many of the work force came from other provinces. My daughter (the carpenter) has worked on construction sites in the town, and most of her workmates were from the Maritimes. It's a national disaster. :(
I live more than 700 miles away and in spite of the long commute the oilsands are the largest employer in this community.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

For all you tank enthusiasts. Trigger warning: many allahus are akbared. :pray:
[youtube]1nBc0ksZLHg[/youtube]

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

RebeccaB wrote:
Half the young men (and some of the young women) of my little village in the Maritimes were in Fort McMurray for work. This will be painful for the whole country in terms of economic knock-ons.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Tigzy wrote:
Christ, he's feeble, isn't he. Look at this:
And who wants that kind of radical life-changing event anyway? Lottery winners aren’t made happier by getting a bucket of money dumped on them,
Yes they are. But I digress -
and the results of a successful SETI search are even less certainly positive. If we aren’t beaming our hard-earned secrets of science and technology to random stars in the galaxy, why should we expect other species to do us that favor? If we use us as an example, aliens would be more likely to transmit their holy books to the stars, or the contents of bad sitcoms, or ultimatums demanding tribute or face total annihilation.
Fuck me. What a bean-counting, beige, boiled cabbage approach to the concept of discovery. His lack of vision here isn't even pedestrian; it's grudging, recessive, almost religious in it's snide attitude to the very idea of finding something so amazingly new. Yes, SETI is basically a gamble; and yes, even if that remarkable signal were to be found, there's not a lot which can be done with it, in practical terms.

But we'd know. We'd look up at night skies and know they're out there. We'd know we're not alone. I'd be willing to bet that most people here find their imagination and sense of wonder at least fired up a little by the concept. But Peez - 'Meh. Oh look, someone's dissing atheists for not being into social justice again. That's the important shit, right there.'

Twat.
PZ Myers has, I think quite correctly, realized that he and his SJW are projecting enough to make SETI obsolete. Especially for attracting malevolent aliens.