Old subthreads
ConcentratedH2O, OM

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

d4m10n wrote:

[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Glorious.

Pro-tip: Keep away from terriers.
That's a bit unfair, to be honest. Those charges against Commie were dropped, thus never proven or otherwise in a court of law.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

MacGruberKnows wrote:It's a big no-no for the opposition and government sides to cross over to the other sides part of the aisle, because it's usually to get into someone else/s face or worse.
Okay that explains it some and it does help put it into context.

So I wouldn't call what they was doing bullying. I would call it genius. I just don't believe that walking to the left, but staying near that center table, then going back to the right would have caused an issue. At least no where near as big an issue as this now has.

Also Canadians have no room to talk about our politics. At least the members of congress can walk next to one another without it being seen as a big no-no.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Kirbmarc wrote:Wmdkitty thinks that the Regressive Left doesn't exist, and asks for evidence. I gave her evidence, and she rejected it as "a wall of opinionated bullshit".
This is commonplace. I observed the same (and reported about it here) from the RationalWiki. Generally, these people have no awareness that they are postmodernist Critcal Race Theory believers, even when the concepts and jargon are in plain sight laid out in front of them. For example, the American Humanists laud "Critical Pedagogy", and Intersectionality (of course), and lived experience and so on. You can go through the list and check the boxes, it's all there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_ ... y_elements

So as I've argued (unsuccessfully), SJW = CRT, give-and-take.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Also Canadians have no room to talk about our politics. At least the members of congress can walk next to one another without it being seen as a big no-no.
Merkins are famous for the civility in their politics, we Canadians just can't match it. :lol: :P

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Aneris wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:Wmdkitty thinks that the Regressive Left doesn't exist, and asks for evidence. I gave her evidence, and she rejected it as "a wall of opinionated bullshit".
This is commonplace. I observed the same (and reported about it here) from the RationalWiki. Generally, these people have no awareness that they are postmodernist Critcal Race Theory believers, even when the concepts and jargon are in plain sight laid out in front of them. For example, the American Humanists laud "Critical Pedagogy", and Intersectionality (of course), and lived experience and so on. You can go through the list and check the boxes, it's all there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_ ... y_elements

So as I've argued (unsuccessfully), SJW = CRT, give-and-take.
And most to the right, including our own DooDooDave, tend to lump all in the left together, without the slightest bit of nuance. There is an insatiable need for weak-minded labels.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

comhcinc wrote:
MacGruberKnows wrote:It's a big no-no for the opposition and government sides to cross over to the other sides part of the aisle, because it's usually to get into someone else/s face or worse.

So I wouldn't call what they was doing bullying. I would call it genius. I just don't believe that walking to the left, but staying near that center table, then going back to the right would have caused an issue. At least no where near as big an issue as this now has.

I was talking about this the other day with a friend and he said the British House of Commons aisle (maybe an earlier Commons than the one now, I can't remember)is two sword length wide. Which tells you something.

And American politics is about reaching consensus across the aisle so to speak. Not so in the 'Parliamentary tradition'. A government can fall on any bill involving an expenditure of money not passing the House. So party discipline is everything. You're right, it stinks.

CaptainFluffyBunny

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Merkins are famous for the civility in their politics, we Canadians just can't match it. :lol: :P
We can all be united in our electing amoral power-hungry idiots into our highest offices. It's a small world after all.

CaptainFluffyBunny

MacGruberKnows wrote:snip
I was talking about this the other day with a friend and he said the British House of Commons aisle (maybe an earlier Commons than the one now, I can't remember)is two sword length wide. Which tells you something.
It tells you that Brits can't lunge for shit.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
A member of Parliament never lunges. Just because it's the House of Commons does not give a member the right to act like a commoner.

CaptainFluffyBunny

MacGruberKnows wrote:
A member of Parliament never lunges. Just because it's the House of Commons does not give a member the right to act like a commoner.
:lol:

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

MacGruberKnows wrote:
comhcinc wrote:

And American politics is about reaching consensus across the aisle so to speak. Not so in the 'Parliamentary tradition'. A government can fall on any bill involving an expenditure of money not passing the House. So party discipline is everything. You're right, it stinks.
Not to be pedantic here, but the rows in Parliament (both Westminster and Ottawa) are two and one half sword lengths apart - symbolizing debate over violence.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Ya know swords come in different lengths right?

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

comhcinc wrote:Ya know swords come in different lengths right?

Ya know what symbolism is, right?[

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

No.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

dog puke wrote:

Not to be pedantic here, but the rows in Parliament (both Westminster and Ottawa) are two and one half sword lengths apart - symbolizing debate over violence.
From the Parliament of Canada website: http://www.parl.gc.ca/procedure-book-li ... dx=4#_ftn9
The distance across the floor of the House between the government and opposition benches is 3.96 metres, said to be equivalent to two swords’ length.[38]
[38]This relates to times gone by in the British House. Members in the British House no longer wear swords, but red lines marked on the carpet two swords’ length apart still serve as a reminder to seek resolutions by peaceful means.
British House of Commons:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/06/ ... 34x554.jpg

The Canadian House appears to have just a darker color of green carpet. Would much prefer the red lines.

And give every member a plastic sword, and a daily ration of grog, 3 times a day. The Parliamentary Channel ratings would go through the roof. It would pay for all of the operating expenses of Parliament and put 10,000 homeless people into rental accomodations.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Gentlemen's swords generally were close in length, from rapiers on to smallswords, especially after Queen Elizabeth regulated the maximum length of rapiers. There is a certain optimal length and a fashionable one. It is suprisingly inconvenient to carry around a two-handed sword whilst governing.

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

Gentlemen's swords generally were close in length, from rapiers on to smallswords, especially after Queen Elizabeth regulated the maximum length of rapiers. There is a certain optimal length and a fashionable one. It is suprisingly inconvenient to carry around a two-handed sword whilst governing.
Especially if you are dual-wielding.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

dog puke wrote:

Ya know what symbolism is, right?

Ferrets come in different lengths. But sometimes a ferret is just a ferret.
  • Q: Why doesn't a ferret eat you?

A: It would if it could, but it can't, so it doesn't. But it's not from lack of trying.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Greg Laden popped up on r/mensrights yesterday. When I think of Laden + soldier + suicide... I think of the violent threats that got Greg Laden in trouble at FtB. I hadn't known about this 2009 Jezebel thing...

CaptainFluffyBunny

Here
0523162115a.jpg
(739.28 KiB) Downloaded 137 times
0523162115b.jpg
(1.21 MiB) Downloaded 135 times
My 1878 duelling epee. If I had the mate, I'd have a minor bit o'wealth.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

My nephew informs me that the British Columbia (Provincial) Legislature has red carpeting. His tour guide said that was so that in the 'old days' the blood that was spilled from the fistfights that happened every now and then wouldn't ruin the carpet.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Blood stains brown.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

MacGruberKnows wrote:http://erickbrockway.files.wordpress.co ... reagan.jpg

Don't be that guy on the right of the last photo.

What's your beef with Shermer?

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

comhcinc wrote:Blood stains brown.
I wish your ferret could eat you. And leave nothing but a brown stain of you.

Maybe it was to hide the wine stains that led to the fistfights.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:Here
0523162115a.jpg
0523162115b.jpg
Your claim that you are not George RR Martin is not helped by that post like this.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

MacGruberKnows wrote:

What do you have against my ferret? I am much to high in cholesterol and saturated fat to be part of a healthy diet.

CaptainFluffyBunny

comhcinc wrote:
0523162115a.jpg
0523162115b.jpg
Your claim that you are not George RR Martin is not helped by that post like this.
Bastard is copying my style. I've worn a Skipper's cap for about 30 years. But I was gonna change hats randomly during the chat. Even borrowed a tiarra. A nod to Damion's inexplicable style.

But though I'm not nearly the wordsmith he is, I can tell you how it will end. Everybody dies. Horribly.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Missed the WoW talk yesterday but I was on the Legion alpha and now beta and it's pretty fucking fab. I may be a bit biased though considering I've been subbed for 8 of the last 10 years.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

comhcinc wrote:
0523162115a.jpg
0523162115b.jpg
Bastard is copying my style. I've worn a Skipper's cap for about 30 years. But I was gonna change hats randomly during the chat. Even borrowed a tiarra. A nod to Damion's inexplicable style.

But though I'm not nearly the wordsmith he is, I can tell you how it will end. Everybody dies. Horribly.
It better. I like the idea that all those people are pretty awful and the world sucks and everyone dies and there is no justice.

On the other hand I am really enjoying watching Vinyl and I hope Richie gets his act together and lots of good things happen. I am just starting to watch episode 8 (as I type this) and it's not looking good.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

comhcinc wrote:
MacGruberKnows wrote:

What do you have against my ferret? I am much to high in cholesterol and saturated fat to be part of a healthy diet.
I love ferrets. My sister had 3. We used to put 4 inch flex hose down the staircases and around the floor. They'd meet each other in the middle of a hose and fight it out. The little female Bella would chase the cat off the couch and leap after him off the coffeetable. One time she latched onto him and he dragged her across the length of the living-room screaming. We set a little playpen up with a scratchpost in the middle of it. Bella would climb to the top and leap across to the wire fence. And hit it about a foot to low and fall to the floor. Then run up the post again and do it all over again. For an hour. Full spread-eagled leaps. I always said we should have given her a Superman cape. They would crawl right up your leg if you wore sweatpants. They would wrap their legs around your ankle and you could drag them across the room. They would take anything they could clomp onto and drag it under the couch and have these little treasure caches. I used to call them wall rats because if you left the basement door open they were down into the basement in a shot and right into the walls. Pretty easy to catch again because they would let you get a hold of them when they stuck their heads out of a hole in the wall, which they did quite often. I could go on, but you know most of this stuff.

I do remember that ferrets can get a very nasty virus and you have to make sure that any ferret they play with does not have it.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

DC comics is incorporating Dr. Manhattan of Watchmen into their superhero universe. They must think that more blue dong will make them competitive with Marvel.
Alan Moore must be turning over in his grave. I know he's still alive, but I bet he sleeps in a coffin.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Be careful about letting cats and ferrets "play". I had a cat that mortally wounded a ferret I had to dispatch. Not a pretty sight, cat had a rip in her ear too..

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:Be careful about letting cats and ferrets "play". I had a cat that mortally wounded a ferret I had to dispatch. Not a pretty sight, cat had a rip in her ear too..
I am allergic to cats. Like eyes swell up till I can't see and I can't breathe allergic. So Hitchens would be defending me.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:Be careful about letting cats and ferrets "play". I had a cat that mortally wounded a ferret I had to dispatch. Not a pretty sight, cat had a rip in her ear too..
My sister took in a rescue cat that would go right after the ferrets to kill them. Had to lock it up when the ferrets were let out. We got rid of that cat in short order. Of the other two cats, Rafter ran upstairs and hid. And stupid Sylvester would jump up onto the top of the couch thinking he was safe, except he was never safe from the evil clutches and flying leaps of Bella.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

katamari Damassi wrote:DC comics is incorporating Dr. Manhattan of Watchmen into their superhero universe. They must think that more blue dong will make them competitive with Marvel.
Alan Moore must be turning over in his grave. I know he's still alive, but I bet he sleeps in a coffin.
They already did the "Before Watchmen" series or whatever it was called, so damage done. This cannot hurt any further.

And Moore hates everything equally anyway.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

katamari Damassi wrote:DC comics is incorporating Dr. Manhattan of Watchmen into their superhero universe. They must think that more blue dong will make them competitive with Marvel.

Because that is what DC needs. Another insanely powerful character that no one can connect with.

x_?_x

Post by x_?_x »

Humanism+ is a thing?

What a time to be alive!

I really thought we were moving past this nonsense, but I was clearly wrong.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

comhcinc wrote:

Because that is what DC needs. Another insanely powerful character that no one can connect with.
I thought it was Marvel that had all the crazy omnipotent villains that made the planet devouring Galacticus look like a pussy. And then a guy made out of inner tubes, a buntzen burner, and a guy made of cobbled-together stones and an invisible female would destroy them. In 50 pages or less.

Yeah, the comic wars are on bitch.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

MacGruberKnows wrote:
comhcinc wrote:

I thought it was Marvel that had all the crazy omnipotent villains that made the planet devouring Galactus look like a pussy. And then a guy made out of inner tubes, a bunsen burner, and a guy made of cobbled-together stones and an invisible female would destroy them. In 50 pages or less.

Yeah, the comic wars are on bitch.

Marvel has a lot of omnipotent characters but they are not often characters as much as things that need to be defeated. The really powerful characters that are protagonist tend to be very flawed. The Sentry has the power of a billion sons but is a very weak willed mentally disturbed guy. Franklin Richards (son of the the inner tubes guy and invisible female) literally has the power of a god but he is just a little kid and doesn't understand complex things.

feathers

Post by feathers »

MacGruberKnows wrote:Here:

If you want to be a politician and connect to people be this guy:
http://www.wiwfarm.com/jpg2/e131.jpg
Now that is Retro Raygun.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Wmdkitty is regressive left. You're telling a Body Snatcher that Body Snatchers exist and are taking over.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Steersman wrote:
Linky? Ta. Though I'm curious why people, in general, allude to something without providing a link. Ashamed? Careless? Afraid the Horde or the Dementers will descend? Inquiring minds and all that .... ;-)
Yes, give him a link Kirbmarc! Wmdkitty vs Steersmonster, the Armageddon of Arguments.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

feathers wrote:
MacGruberKnows wrote:Here:

If you want to be a politician and connect to people be this guy:
http://www.wiwfarm.com/jpg2/e131.jpg
Now that is Retro Raygun.
As long as you are not Snoopy in a tank:
http://www.jpattitude.com/IHTM/DukakisInTank.jpg

Regan captured the Yellow Dog Democrats, and it is about that time that the Republicans became the ordinary folk and the Democrats started to become the latte sipping elites. South Park and King of the Hill were great at skewering all sides but somehow the skewering of leftie elites always really worked. Clinton may not have have ridden a horse but he was the last democrat who looked like popping in for a burger and fries was a daily event and not a couple times in an election-race photo op. Kerry and his wife trying to pretend they were ordering a fast food burger was painful to watch.

Why did the Republicans lose the last election, easy,Romney was the Republican version of Kerry. I remember FreeRepublic banning Romney supporters (mostly for being Mormon) until he won the Repbulican nomination, and when the election was over they skewered him, hated him more for losing than they hated Obama for winning.

feathers

Post by feathers »

dog puke wrote:Not to be pedantic here, but the rows in Parliament (both Westminster and Ottawa) are two and one half sword lengths apart - symbolizing debate over violence.
That's why they invented this.

http://www.bladesandbows.co.uk/ekmps/sh ... 2532-p.jpg

feathers

Post by feathers »

Then the next time, you buy three ferrets to take vendetta.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

feathers wrote:

what does a ferret call a couch?

A 4 bedroom house.

The hours I spent on the couch waiting for a ferret to pop his head out of the couch so I could grab it and put it back in it's pen They would go to sleep in the couch, sometimes all three of them, they make a ball for warmth, and ferrets sleep most of the day.

feathers

Post by feathers »

MacGruberKnows wrote:The hours I spent on the couch waiting for a ferret to pop his head out of the couch so I could grab it and put it back in it's pen They would go to sleep in the couch, sometimes all three of them, they make a ball for warmth, and ferrets sleep most of the day.
Haha, so if you plucked the first one out, the other two would immediately withdraw so you could wait another couple of hours, amiright?

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

MacGruberKnows wrote:
feathers wrote:

what does a ferret call a couch?

A 4 bedroom house.

The hours I spent on the couch waiting for a ferret to pop his head out of the couch so I could grab it and put it back in it's pen They would go to sleep in the couch, sometimes all three of them, they make a ball for warmth, and ferrets sleep most of the day.
feathers wrote: That's why they invented this.

http://www.bladesandbows.co.uk/ekmps/sh ... 2532-p.jpg

feathers

Post by feathers »

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Gosh you people are talking a lot about ferrets.

On another note I might have a job op coming up that pays (guh) actual Decent Money as opposed to peanuts and won't mean that I start a lot of sentences with "that job I can't talk about".

feathers

Post by feathers »

rayshul wrote:Gosh you people are talking a lot about ferrets.

On another note I might have a job op coming up that pays (guh) actual Decent Money as opposed to peanuts and won't mean that I start a lot of sentences with "that job I can't talk about".
If you're up ferret, I'd say go take it! You mustelid courage so don't weasel out if it gets tough.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

So when will you be able to talk about your missions with the SAS?

feathers

Post by feathers »

MarcusAu wrote:

So when will you be able to talk about your missions with the SAS?
Hahaha, SAS is for wuss. Try S.H.I.E.L.D.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Oh dearie me

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

When I drove Ali to her workplace this morning, the whole street where she works was cordoned by the Monaco police. I have no idea what was going on and couldn't find anything on the web. I did, however, find out that Vladimir Putin is alleged to own two flats in her building...

feathers

Post by feathers »

See, you killed the Pit.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Nope.

feathers