Old subthreads
comhcinc

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by comhcinc »

All hate crimes are thought crimes.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Caine has post up of a great piece of art that took this woman years to make, a giant textile Jesus.
https://archive.is/fjthV
What is kind of silly is a comment by genius baboon Tabby Lavalamp:
Tabby Lavalamp says

June 16, 2016 at 3:44 pm

I realized how pessimistic I’ve become when my first thought was that the Jesus is pretty dark skinned so I hope she doesn’t get death threats for that.
Cishetwhitemalephobic or what? :roll:

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

You would think at this point that Twitter would put some lock on his account so that autobans don't kick in.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Caine has post up of a great piece of art that took this woman years to make, a giant textile Jesus.
https://archive.is/fjthV
What is kind of silly is a comment by genius baboon Tabby Lavalamp:
Tabby Lavalamp says

June 16, 2016 at 3:44 pm

I realized how pessimistic I’ve become when my first thought was that the Jesus is pretty dark skinned so I hope she doesn’t get death threats for that.
Cishetwhitemalephobic or what? :roll:
The trick is to keep your whites from your coloreds.

Cause that is how you get such a clean robe.

And for Gods sake, pre-soak.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

comhcinc wrote:
......That is my fucking point. If there are blog post it may happen. If there are not it won't. If there are not blog post by the end of the weekend it's a lot less likely to happen.
He did get lucky having the story break during a particularly hot bit of socjus news cycle.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

comhcinc wrote: You would think at this point that Twitter would put some lock on his account so that autobans don't kick in.
They literally threw his twitter account of the top of their building.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

I have gone Brive on this Carrier / SSA independent investigation shit, and this is completely fucked up. Amanda Metskas, the polyamorous wife of the Executive Director of SSA, who is herself the Director of Camp Quest , an organisation intimately linked to SSA, and the former President of the Secular Coalition for America (of which two voting members are Camp Quest & SSA), is the person who accompanied Carrier on his cross-country drive to take up digs in Columbus, Ohio. Which is the home of SSA. Timelines will follow.

Suffice to say that the 'independent investigation' that SSA are conducting isn't worth fuck-all. And allowing Carrier to continue to claim there is damning evidence that his victim is a liar is all kinds of fucked up. People involved in this, or involved in the circles he moves in should be speaking up now, organisations should be showing Carrier the door, and someone should be standing up for the students who are the ones that should be protected from this kind of nepotism.

Clearly, someone hacked Carrier's facebook while he was travelling, and inserted the Camp Quest info into his profile. Because they wanted a way to draw attention to this. Whether or not everything that has been presented is strictly factual or not, the point remains that Carrier was banned as a speaker at SSA events on the basis of an investigated complaint. This ban was never released publicly, nor the reasons for it, which allowed Carrier to continue to be present at SSA events after the complaint.

This photo was taken on 26th May in Salt Lake City
http://i.imgur.com/q6ILvJn.jpg

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

fuzzy wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
......That is my fucking point. If there are blog post it may happen. If there are not it won't. If there are not blog post by the end of the weekend it's a lot less likely to happen.
He did get lucky having the story break during a particularly hot bit of socjus news cycle.
I am not sure. They are avoiding talking too much about the Orlando shooting because they may have to admit Islam is evil.

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

Really? wrote:
d4m10n wrote:
Sunder wrote: Well-meaning people don't seem to get it.

While it's possible that Carrier has done nothing...
That's not possible, if we are to believe his own words from How to do Wrong Right, in which he explains why he parted ways with the SSA speakers bureau in the first place.

It remains an open question whether he's ever done anything more serious than awkward flirting with young women.
We mustn't forget that Heina and this Amy are collecting narratives and it doesn't look good for Dicky. By the time everything is said and done, this "all I did was touch her hair" thing is going to be history.
Video evidence:

[youtube]JEH8MG2Dkhw[/youtube]

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

HunnyBunny wrote:I have gone Brive on this Carrier / SSA independent investigation shit, and this is completely fucked up. Amanda Metskas, the polyamorous wife of the Executive Director of SSA, who is herself the Director of Camp Quest , an organisation intimately linked to SSA, and the former President of the Secular Coalition for America (of which two voting members are Camp Quest & SSA), is the person who accompanied Carrier on his cross-country drive to take up digs in Columbus, Ohio. Which is the home of SSA. Timelines will follow.

Suffice to say that the 'independent investigation' that SSA are conducting isn't worth fuck-all. And allowing Carrier to continue to claim there is damning evidence that his victim is a liar is all kinds of fucked up. People involved in this, or involved in the circles he moves in should be speaking up now, organisations should be showing Carrier the door, and someone should be standing up for the students who are the ones that should be protected from this kind of nepotism.

Clearly, someone hacked Carrier's facebook while he was travelling, and inserted the Camp Quest info into his profile. Because they wanted a way to draw attention to this. Whether or not everything that has been presented is strictly factual or not, the point remains that Carrier was banned as a speaker at SSA events on the basis of an investigated complaint. This ban was never released publicly, nor the reasons for it, which allowed Carrier to continue to be present at SSA events after the complaint.

This photo was taken on 26th May in Salt Lake City
http://i.imgur.com/q6ILvJn.jpg

https://memecrunch.com/meme/5LGDW/you-g ... ?w=500&c=1

So is he claiming his facebook was hacked now?

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

I telling ya. It's automatic thing that they should turn off for his account.

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

comhcinc wrote:
hippodown wrote:
comhcinc wrote: This is a blogging group. If no one is willing to write a blog about it then it will be viewed as unimportant. FA or someone at the Orbit has to throw the first stone.

oh. there will be blog posts. just wait.

I think you have a point. Now the SSA are running an investgation, PZ has the perfect excuse not to cornmemoryhole Carrier until "all the facts are in the investigation has concluded". You know, by the book (if you ignore the glaring conflict of interests that Captain H just highlighted). I dare say they'll both be hoping for a full exoneration, or for it to take enough time for the Lidless Eye to turn in another direction.

What might change things is if anyone else speaks up. Otherwise, I suppose it might be possible that he will live to blog another day.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) said there are two explanations for why schools would have no rape reports: “Either they don’t have an adequate reporting system … or they know about the rapes and are putting them under the rug.”
Tertium non datur.

The article goes on to explain that many of those colleges are online colleges or don't have campuses or dormitories or are very small, all of which make rape unlikely, but this isn't enough for Senator Gillibrand. It's just impossible that no rapes could happen in a college, even one where people only go to study. No, the colleges where no rapes are reported are either incompetent or corrupt.

Rape is everywhere in colleges (1 in 5! 1 in 5!) and if nobody reports it it's because the campus police are Keystone cops or protect rapists. Colleges where zero rapes are reported are wretched hives of scum and villainy. They need more women's studies departments and more brave journalists like Sabrina Erdely.
Israeli soldiers deemed racist for refusing to rape Palestinians:

http://www.israeltoday.co.il/NewsItem/t ... fault.aspx

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Cnutella wrote: I think you have a point. Now the SSA are running an investigation, PZ has the perfect excuse not to cornmemoryhole Carrier until "all the facts are in the investigation has concluded". You know, by the book (if you ignore the glaring conflict of interests that Captain H just highlighted). I dare say they'll both be hoping for a full exoneration, or for it to take enough time for the Lidless Eye to turn in another direction.

What might change things is if anyone else speaks up. Otherwise, I suppose it might be possible that he will live to blog another day.

It's human nature to forget about things if they are not brought up. That is why bad news is often dropped on Friday.

Also you can't assume that a lot of people know about this. If the usual suspect don't blog the story won't get out.

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

Service Dog wrote:

I've read some stupid shit this year so far, but this is in my top three:
The student's conclusion was that IDF soldiers don't rape because they are racists. "It is impossible to rape someone who is not human," she wrote. This young woman's perverted determination was that "just as Serbians formed their identity by publicly gang-banging Bosnian women, Jewish men define their unique identity as non-rapists … rape and non-rape are two sides of the same coin."
Holy fuck. You'd think some universities would have a sense of shame. Which reminds me, did you see the DIGRA paper recently released about Gamergate? I think it sets a new lo bar for SJW academics to limbo ounder. At least the Carbon Fiber paper had the dubious figleaf of pomo impenetrability.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

FACT: Only non-racists are capable of rape!
FACT: Racists are incapable of rape!

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

I don't make the rules.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

If you care about Brexit and haven't seen this (and don't mind seeing Tf00t ripped to shreds), it's very much worth the time:

[youtube]pZ9fxpmM1lA[/youtube]

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Cnutella wrote:
Service Dog wrote:

<snip>
Holy fuck. You'd think some universities would have a sense of shame. Which reminds me, did you see the DIGRA paper recently released about Gamergate? I think it sets a new lo bar for SJW academics to limbo ounder. At least the Carbon Fiber paper had the dubious figleaf of pomo impenetrability.
Indeed. Apropos of which:

And the New Real Peer Review has some classics:

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Billie from Ockham wrote:If you care about Brexit and haven't seen this (and don't mind seeing Tf00t ripped to shreds), it's very much worth the time:

[youtube]pZ9fxpmM1lA[/youtube]

I liked it but I couldn't believe any of his arguments because he is a ginger. They can't be trusted.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Bhurzum wrote:
Steersman wrote:But I thought you might have resigned from the club and changed your signature after I stopped sending protection money. Or because I went soft on Islam. ;-)
It's not because you went soft on Islam mate, I just went hard for Milo.

[.img]https://i.imgflip.com/s57ap.jpg[/img]

We still cool though... :D
Well, I don't feel so bad then - obviously the better man won. :-) Though I was amused by his recent "limp-wristed" Breitbart accusation against Obama:
Obama’s response to the tragedy today was similarly limp-wristed. He made no mention of Islam or Muslims, instead condemning “hate and terror” and taking a brazen swipe at gun rights activists by noting “how easy it is to let people get their hands on a weapon.”
In any case, while I certainly question some of his arguments and positions, I kind of have to commend him for stirring up a hornet's nest over Orlando. Might well be a water-shed event and broach the question of whether Islam is really compatible with democracy. As I've argued:

Though I'm sad to report that that position seemed to be too much for my go-to-gal in the Iranian atheist movement, PersianRose, as she has now blocked me ... :( :violin:

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

comhcinc wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote:If you care about Brexit and haven't seen this (and don't mind seeing Tf00t ripped to shreds), it's very much worth the time:

[.youtube]pZ9fxpmM1lA[/youtube]
I liked it but I couldn't believe any of his arguments because he is a ginger. They can't be trusted.
:lol: "That's wacist!"

But, BTW, thanks for the tip on the Chrome ad blocker ....

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

Just heard Meatloaf collapsed onstage in Edmonton.

Hope he's OK. 2016 can't end soon enough for me.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Service Dog wrote:Israeli soldiers deemed racist for refusing to rape Palestinians:

Wow.
A complete idiot wrote:"just as Serbians formed their identity by publicly gang-banging Bosnian women, Jewish men define their unique identity as non-rapists … rape and non-rape are two sides of the same coin."
So that's why there are zero rapes in certain colleges. They're full of racists! Of course!

We should make non-rape illegal, just like rape. There are thousands, hell, millions of women out there who are traumatized by the idea that they were never rape and likely will never be raped. Millions! It's a pandemic! They're de-humanized by the fact that men won't rape them!

When will this horror stop?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Steersman wrote:And the New Real Peer Review has some classics:
Deepak Chopra couldn't have said it better.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

VickyCaramel wrote:
As it stood in the 1970s? I wasn't aware anything had changed.
I get really confused because the way i am told things are doesn't map onto my experience of reality. My father's family were very much working class, my mother's side were at the upper end of middle class. So I have experience of both.
I remember one occasion, a dinner party where everybody had had far more wine than they should, and the subject of race came up, the worst thing that was said is that Africans are lovely people but West Indians have a poor work ethic. Seriously, this is about the worst i have heard.

By contrast, one lunch time I met a cousin of mine in a pub in East London, I think it was Leyton, when about 20 black people were marching down the street. Somebody at the bar called out, "Look at all these fucking spades, what they doing?". Somebody said that they were protesting because a coon had been run over by a police car. Somebody else said, "Just one, what a pity". The whole pub erupted in laughter, followed by a whole load of racist banter. I can quote countless examples of open racism from working class people, at least the sentiment is discussed, although it is rarely directed at anyone openly.

Lets face it, it only takes a few drinks and working class people will start throwing punches over football. So it isn't going to take a lot of friction between different communities for tribalism to take hold. Working class whites are going to be rubbing up against working class blacks and working class asians, and I know from experience that recent immigrants can come here with racist attitudes, it is far from a one way street.. If the middle classes find themselves in proximity to somebody from an ethnic minority chances are they are going to be a doctor moving in next door. Why the hell would middle class people be racist? What have they got to complain about? I have lived in middle class areas for most of my life, the only complaint I have is that they can't drive and don't seem to care where they park when they drop their kids at the catholic school, and frankly that's the only time I see them (No, I don't have a single black friend). So I have never really understood this idea that Tories are all racist and the left are happy clappy multi-culturalists.
I was brought up to say 'N-word' rather than nigger.

Using the alternative might give the impression that I was not middle-class, and thus had direct contact with the 'lower orders'. ie it had more to do with not appearing to be 'white-trash' / working class rather than any concern for the feelings of the people concerned.

(Only half joking)

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Carrier says the event at which he sexually harassed Amy Franks took place in April 2015. There is a photo of Carrier in a pub, with a group of UC (University of Chicago?) SSA students, in April 2015. An event at which Amanda Metskas was also present sat at the opposite end of the table to Carrier. I'm not linking it because these are young people who don't deserve to be associated with trash like Carrier.

These students look all of 18-19. Fresh-faced young adults. Carrier, then aged 44 is sat quite close to one of these girls in the photo. I've made a lovely lunch and now I've completely lost my appetite and feel slightly ill.

Carrier claims that Metkas is part of a polyamorous marriage in which both she and her husband are consumate professionals. I'm not buying it. A professional person should not be sitting by while her fuck-buddy is hitting on young students, firstly because of the power dynamics involved, let alone that SSA should be protecting the students they recruit from having to deal with sexual advances at organised events which are not advertised as a pick-up session.

In 2012 Carrier wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/j8SJ4YP.jpg

Except he didn't withdraw when he left his wife, became openly poly, and then started hitting on students at events where he was a speaker. Instead he redefined what he meant, after the complaint, to say that he wouldn't hit on them on the premises where the talk was held, and that any after events were not liable to this prohibition. Nifty.

And if this was the stated policy of SSA all along, and the photo I have seen is of the event that Carrier committed the harassment, then why is Amanda Metskas sat there doing nothing? As the wife of the Executive Director, of SSA and the Director of Camp Quest she must have known it was not acceptable. I am attempting to confirm if this photo relates to the complaint. It is possible I suppose it relates to the other incident that Carrier admitted to.

Then in June 2015 (note 1 month and 3 weeks after the complaint had been made, important timing given his current post), he gives a version of events of what happened after the complaint to SSA had been received. Here he describes it as almost a friendly exchange of emails between friends, nothing official, and he then agreed not to flirt with students at SSA events he was speaking at. And that was the end of it.
Thank you. I did express interest in [redacted] at an after event. And I recognized she did not appreciate that, and I apologized to her at the time. If she does want any further apology, I will definitely provide her one, so do relay that if that’s the case. But I don’t want to bother her by contacting her any further without her consent. I definitely felt bad about it. I thought the interest was mutual and I was very wrong. I won’t be doing that in future.
And that was considered an adequate resolution.
Obviously contingent on my making good on my promises, which I have.
Yet in this latest version of events he now states that he was made aware of the complaint on 21st April, and before a month was out he had been asked to RESIGN as a speaker because he couldn't agree not to hit on students.
Within a month of (what turned out to be) Amy’s complaint I had already agreed to resign from the SSA speaker’s bureau in compliance with the filed complaint and their zero tolerance policy... And they already noted that I had publicly said years ago that if I wanted to have the freedom to date students (and thus express interest in them), and the SSA insisted on that being against policy, “I’d just withdraw from the SSA Speaker’s Bureau.” So we agreed that’s what I should do.
So which is it Carrier? Which version of events do we now believe? You weren't asked to resign, you promised not to do it again, or you were asked to resign because you couldn't promise not to do it again? Because the first one makes the SSA look like a bunch of amateurs, and the new version gives them a nice shiny veneer of doing the right thing.

Fucking liar.

SM12

Post by SM12 »

Talking of rape culture, four young Syrian refugees in Germany have just been given probation after raping 2 girls in a flat.

This is a case for the Social Justice Warriors! (to ignore totally)

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

For those who care, here's a link to the paper (courtesy of KIA), written by Torill Mortensen, Associate Professor for the Center of Computer Games Research at the IT-University of Copenhagen.

It really is a pile of shit that is filled with inaccuracies, unsubstantiated opinion and outright lies.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

HunnyBunny needs a seperate thread for her awesome reseach so people can easily go through it.

Really?

Post by Really? »

comhcinc wrote:HunnyBunny needs a seperate thread for her awesome reseach so people can easily go through it.
Agreed. It is also pretty clear that Sticky Dicky wrote that confession as a preemptive move to muddy the waters about future investigations and to give him plausible deniability about whatever the fuck he does or tries to do with these "students."

Is it really slut shaming to question whether a 45 year old man should try so hard to get his hands into so many 19 year old cookie jars?

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

comhcinc wrote: I telling ya. It's automatic thing that they should turn off for his account.
I suspect that verified accounts are immune to these automated reports.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

The most recent review of SSA on FB, from here:

http://i.imgur.com/V0rViki.png?1

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Cnutella wrote:
Service Dog wrote:

The student's conclusion was that IDF soldiers don't rape because they are racists. "It is impossible to rape someone who is not human," she wrote. This young woman's perverted determination was that "just as Serbians formed their identity by publicly gang-banging Bosnian women, Jewish men define their unique identity as non-rapists … rape and non-rape are two sides of the same coin."
Do you mean this one? Anger, Fear, and Games. The Long Event of #GamerGate
The event known as #GamerGate (GG) emphasized the need to take the study of game culture seriously and pursue it across several platforms. It demonstrated how seemingly ephemeral media created echo chambers of anger, and how the outbursts of hypermasculine aggression exemplified by hooligans also can connect to games and play. Starting from how GG gained popular attention, this article outlines and discusses the nature of GG, the relation to the victims, the sense of victimization among the participants, and how it may have been provoked by the long-standing, general disregard of games as a culture and a cultural artifact of value. It discusses GG as a swarm using this metaphor to describe its self-organizing nature. Further comparing GG to hooligans, this article also introduces a class and marginalization aspect to understanding the event, opening up for discourses that complicates the image of game culture as mainly a culture of isolated consumption.
I skimmed the first five pages or so but apart from that I have not read it myself. Hence I have no opinion about the paper right now.

Anyone want a copy and you do not have access to SAGE send me a PM

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

VickyCaramel wrote:
As it stood in the 1970s? I wasn't aware anything had changed.
I get really confused because the way i am told things are doesn't map onto my experience of reality. My father's family were very much working class, my mother's side were at the upper end of middle class. So I have experience of both.
I remember one occasion, a dinner party where everybody had had far more wine than they should, and the subject of race came up, the worst thing that was said is that Africans are lovely people but West Indians have a poor work ethic. Seriously, this is about the worst i have heard.

By contrast, one lunch time I met a cousin of mine in a pub in East London, I think it was Leyton, when about 20 black people were marching down the street. Somebody at the bar called out, "Look at all these fucking spades, what they doing?". Somebody said that they were protesting because a coon had been run over by a police car. Somebody else said, "Just one, what a pity". The whole pub erupted in laughter, followed by a whole load of racist banter. I can quote countless examples of open racism from working class people, at least the sentiment is discussed, although it is rarely directed at anyone openly.

Lets face it, it only takes a few drinks and working class people will start throwing punches over football. So it isn't going to take a lot of friction between different communities for tribalism to take hold. Working class whites are going to be rubbing up against working class blacks and working class asians, and I know from experience that recent immigrants can come here with racist attitudes, it is far from a one way street.. If the middle classes find themselves in proximity to somebody from an ethnic minority chances are they are going to be a doctor moving in next door. Why the hell would middle class people be racist? What have they got to complain about? I have lived in middle class areas for most of my life, the only complaint I have is that they can't drive and don't seem to care where they park when they drop their kids at the catholic school, and frankly that's the only time I see them (No, I don't have a single black friend). So I have never really understood this idea that Tories are all racist and the left are happy clappy multi-culturalists.
You're assuming that working class people vote for the left and that middle class people vote for the right. This isn't always true. Many times working class people vote for right-wing parties exactly because of issues with immigration, why many middle class people are leftist and multi-culturalist.

SJWs, for example, are predominantly middle class, if not upper-middle class, while in the US for example Trump is very popular with working-class whites.

The reality of racism is that it doesn't rise from some kind of pathological hatred, but from in-group morality and out-group hostility in threatened groups. Working class people are wary of foreign workers because they see it as competitors for jobs and living space. The welfare-dependent class sees them as competitors for welfare. Immigrants are perceived as a direct threat to one's livelihood.

Moreover immigrants tend to cling to in-group morality, out-group hostility as well. They tend to live separate from the native population and see them as competitors and threats.

In a situation which has this kind of social tension culture clash is pretty much inevitable. Natives see the immigrants and their culture as incompatible with their way of life, and the same thing is true for immigrants as well. Different standards of cooking or hygiene are sources of concern. Different religions cause religious hatred. Inter-group dating is discouraged and is a source of further tension.

But at its core the biggest issue is economical: immigrants are willing to work at a fraction of the wages of the natives because they're comfortable with lower standards of life and often because their families back home, to which they send money, live in countries where the standards of living are much lower than the standards of the country where their immigrants relatives live.

Working class native people are penalized by the competition. They have to either accept lower wages (and lower their standards of living) or risk unemployment.

Immigrant communities in general stick to themselves. However in the case of Muslim immigrants this is complicated by the fact that they're of different origin and the glue that keeps their communities together is Islam. And imams in Europe are often paid and trained by Saudi Arabia and the Gulf petro-countries to teach open contempt for the West and its institutions and to build communities dominated by the religious law.

This doesn't happen in other immigrant communities. The Chinese government or the Polish government don't demand that Chinese or Polish people obey to Chinese or Polish laws, or have Chinese or Polish councils, and don't send people to teach contempt of Western institutions.

The first biggest mistake of the multicultural left has been dealing with "community leaders" of the "Muslim communities" without caring about who paid them, who trained them and what they want. The second biggest mistake has been giving them exactly what they wanted (Sharia councils, segregated meetings, etc.) in a misguided attempt at "multiculturalism".

Multiculturalism is by and large a failure. Immigration is best dealt with by encouraging immigrants to integrate within the community of the country they live in: learning the language of the land (the rates of Muslim women who live for years in a country without learning its language are staggering), learning the laws of the land and understanding that liberal democratic institutions are there to stay, and learning the culture of the land.

Assimilation is frowned upon in many leftist circles, but it's the only way to reduce (not eliminate, but reduce) social tensions if you have a consistent immigrant population. If someone lives in a ghetto surrounded by people who belong a specific culture and speak a specific language which is foreign to the country they live in they're going to feel like foreigners in that country.

Assimilation is a slow process. In the US it took decades for many groups to find their place within the American society. But today Italian-American are, for example, much more assimilated than Mexican-American. In part it's because few if any Italian-American still speak the dialect of their ancestors' country of origin, while many Mexican American still speak predominantly Spanish.

Anyway in dealing with immigration in a globalized world, where travelling is fast, there are four alternatives:

-little to no control of immigration and no assimilation, which leads to inter-ethnic tensions and conflict (especially with certain ethnicities where ideas of taking over a country are widespread).

-controlled immigration and assimilation, which requires to abandon the multi-cultural paradigm, and may not deal efficiently with tensions due to competition between immigrants and the native working class.

-little to no immigration, which in a globalized world leads to the bulk of your businesses moving abroad in search of cheaper labour (many already do it in all scenarios, but with no sources of cheap labour from immigrants pretty much all who can relocate their business will do it)

-little to no immigration and isolationist-protectionist policies and tariffs on trade, which leads to higher prices for materials produced by people with high wages and to a substantial reduction of export, because your products are more expensive than those made by those who pay their employees lower wages (the Trump paradigm).

The truth is that in today's world cheap labour is a commodity. "Western" countries where people have high wages compared to the rest of the world are at a huge disadvantage in this field. You can complain all you want about how Chinese workers are underpaid, but people will still buy product made by Chinese people with low wages, because they're cheap.

Without a source of cheap labour for certain jobs many businesses would cease to exist. So you either force your working class native people to accept lower wages, or you allow immigration in some fashion, or you try to follow isolationist-protectionist policies which make prices soar and reduce the purchasing power of your working class population and will kill your exports.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Skep tickle wrote:The most recent review of SSA on FB, from here:

http://i.imgur.com/V0rViki.png?1
That is a good sign. She is one of the craziest people they have. With any luck, Carrier will be on the Block Bot soon.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

[youtube]mbD8ay3UZSs[/youtube]

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Well, well, well, what have we here? :think:
http://i.imgur.com/0GhbGFh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/8c2TQcw.jpg

Yes, that is a photo, put on facebook in Oct 2015 by the official Camp Quest page of Richard Carrier, complete with Camp Quest tattoo and button.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Tapir wrote:Never heard of 'Britain First' until today.

http://i.imgur.com/Z9PzTPB.jpg

Well they look like nice lads!

:lol:
Totally not fascist.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Well, it's Friday 5.00pm and I just left my job of 25 years.

In honour of Dick, my farewell email rickrolled the whole company. I find shit like that amusing.

Less amusing was that group of 20 somethings who didn't know what a rickroll was. Obviously as students they never did SSA.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Brive1987 wrote:Well, it's Friday 5.00pm and I just left my job of 25 years.

In honour of Dick, my farewell email rickrolled the whole company. I find shit like that amusing.

Less amusing was that group of 20 somethings who didn't know what a rickroll was. Obviously as students they never did SSA.
Damn, 25 years! Hope the new adventures go well.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Thanks HunnyBunny.

Disturbingly it start on Monday. The good news is I get redundancy and a new job. The bad news is the new gig looks like a disaster needing fixing - ie the risk ratio goes up. I fear I will sit there stuttering and sharpening a whole packet of pencils.

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

I am still curious as to how Freethoughtblogs owner and Friend To Women PZ Myers can ignore comments from women like "He has been a missing stair for some number of years now. Plus is/was SUPER creeping on a friend of mine." After all, it's not like there hasn't been a lot of acrid smoke coming from Appropriate Boundaries Manor for quite some time. Maybe it's on fire?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

comhcinc wrote:
deLurch wrote:
Guestus Aurelius wrote:
That was sufficient evidence for the Radford case.

Isn't it more? DIdn't the investigation not find anything in the Radford case?
CFI's $40,000 third party investigation found against Stollznow's specific claims of sustained harassment dating from 2009. Radford was however said to have sent inappropriate emails during the period covered by the recent dispute and to have conducted himself 'unprofessionally' at a conference.

Radford demonstrated the intimate emails purportedly sent by him in 2012 actually dated from 2010 when he and Stollznow remained in an on-off relationship. Radford supported this dating with an independent forensic review of the data.

Rebecca Watson broke with Stollznow after she requested, but failed to receive, evidence the emails formed actual harassment.

Radford also claimed the investigator was mislead about the nature of their relationship during the time of the major conference-related allegation (TAM 2010).

It was later proved that Radford and Stollznow had in fact slept together during 2010.

CFI suspended Radford for two weeks. He remains a staff member to this day (2015).
http://brive1987.weebly.com

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

:popcorn:

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

BTW, from Prof. Dr. Steven Vertovec, Max Planck Institute for the Study of Religious and Ethnic Diversity, Göttinge. Diversity, social interaction and solidarity
The mechanisms through which heterogeneity interacts with trust or willingness to co-operate must be investigated more deeply.
IOW it is not unusual to see an inverse correlation with trust in a heterogeneous society. So this is bad right? Because it points to issues with Multicultrism and the way it has been implemented in various countries. Canukistan is usually cited as one of the countries that have managed multic-cult with less observed ill effect than others .... Like say Belgium for example (not that I know what policies Belgum has/had in the 1st place)

Anyway, our Prof wants to change something about the studies to date.
Until now, studies have often been restricted to presenting correlations between attitudes or facts without determining whether they are causally related and, if so, what mechanisms are responsible — for example, observing that, in areas with a heterogeneous population, trust in state institutions is limited and assuming that the one causes the other. Interdisciplinary research that integrates ethnological and other social scientific and psychological approaches appears promising in determining mechanisms and causal relations. Contact theory, which was developed within social psychology, is crucial. It assumes that positive, cooperative contact between individuals identifying with different groups can foster positive attitudes in both groups towards the other — and possibly also to cooperation and solidarity generally. Evidence from Northern Ireland — mirrored in studies in the United States and Canada — suggests that where high-quality social contact between different ethnicities occurs, there is a higher level of social trust. In other words, high-quality contact between different population groups can combat negative effects of diversity6,7.
Normally, I would have some very sarcastic remarks at this point, but because Max Planck has a good reputation as far as genetics is concerned (with me at any rate) I am probably assuming some sort of halo effect in my current attitude so ...

All I am going to say is good luck. I see trouble ahead when the demographics change. And they will. White Canukistans are not reproducing fast enough to even maintain their current demographic position. Not nice of White Canukistans to do this. Not nice at all.

Really?

Post by Really? »

HunnyBunny wrote:Well, well, well, what have we here? :think:
http://i.imgur.com/0GhbGFh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/8c2TQcw.jpg

Yes, that is a photo, put on facebook in Oct 2015 by the official Camp Quest page of Richard Carrier, complete with Camp Quest tattoo and button.
Fuck me. That is beautiful and you couldn't ask for a creepier old guy face on him.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Fuck me. HunnyBunny, Dicky is listed in Camp Quest west's 2014 bulletin as a friend or volunteer. Please snap that up. I can't link on my phone. It is a PDF. Also listed are Brian Parts, the brother in law with whom he did that bonsai podcast and Carrie Poppy.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Brive1987 wrote:Thanks HunnyBunny.

Disturbingly it start on Monday. The good news is I get redundancy and a new job. The bad news is the new gig looks like a disaster needing fixing - ie the risk ratio goes up. I fear I will sit there stuttering and sharpening a whole packet of pencils.
I was the same when I swapped my combat boots for the tools of my current trade - don't try to hit the ground running, ease into it gently. The transitionary period will be unsettling but if you take it steady, you'll get there in good order.

Oh, and if possible, try to avoid the "new brush sweeps clean" urges that will undoubtedly grip you. Give it a wee while before tackling that particular monkey.

Just my 2 cents...

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Congrats on... 25 years of your life... ending. ^_^ Was this the first job out of school?

Really?

Post by Really? »

Carrier and Andrea did this conference in 2015 along with some of the other SJWs.

http://atheistpa.org/speakers-2015/schedule-2015/

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Has Richard Carrier responded to this charge?
Tim Branin
Last year I drove back from a conference with someone who'd shared a room with him. They told me they weren't sure whether or not they had sex with him because they'd been so drunk. I didn't really comment on it at the time, but that conversation has haunted me. frown emoticon
http://archive.is/Hk3DL#selection-665.0-668.2

Really?

Post by Really? »

Carrier was the draw for this fundraiser in 2012. Thankfully, he couldn't spooge on anyone, as he was Skyping in.

http://www.meetup.com/Stockton-Atheist/ ... /40439552/

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

If you rickrolled the whole company maybe the departure wasn't on the best of terms? Sorry to hear that if that's the case, but best wishes on your new one.

Changing gears, not sure of how your ghostwriting is going for your daughter but I just ran across this that might be of some value:
Tolerance of backward attitudes does not help diversity
June 17, 2016 2:17pm
Rita Panahi

WE live in interesting times.

The Australian Prime Minister doesn’t attend the repatriation of Australia’s Vietnam War dead but is happy to host an Iftar dinner celebrating Ramadan attended by Islamist apologists and at least one hate preacher.

Sheik Shady Al-Suleiman who’s called AIDS a divine punishment for gays also has disturbing views about women, jihad and what he calls the “enemies of Islam.”

How did a man who preaches about women being “hung by their breasts” and stoned to death for adultery score an invitation to dine with the Prime Minister? ....
You could always ask your daughter about Islamic punishments for adultery to sharpen the point ...

But hard to believe that the school system is in the business of peddling such egregious propaganda and bigotry. Seems someone should wind up with their ass in a sling over that.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

AndrewV69 wrote:BTW, from Prof. Dr. Steven Vertovec, Max Planck Institute for the Study of Religious and Ethnic Diversity, Göttinge. Diversity, social interaction and solidarity
<snip>
The paper looks interesting regardless of whether you agree with it or not. This part in particular seems worth discussing:
Researchers in this field have identified several factors that determine the shape of personal networks: opportunities for contact, a preference for social relationships with similar people (the homophily principle) and the attraction of social relationships with people of a higher status8. To this end, interethnic contact might be facilitated by mixed residential areas. However, if there are ethnic hierarchies, in which immigrants and members of ethnic minorities are trapped at the bottom, this might reduce the willingness of higher- status, long-term residents to engage in such interactions. Furthermore, the way in which individuals define the homo- geneity they seek in their social networks needs to be clarified: is it based on a common national or regional origin or religious group, or on interests and lifestyles that have nothing to do with the drawing of ethnic boundary lines?
Vertovec looks at the factors which might facilitate inter-ethnic contact, like mixed residential areas, and at those which hinder it, like ethnic hierarchies.

Inter-ethnic contact, however, is hindered by some factors which aren't mentioned in the paper. The first is the language barrier. People who, for one reason or another, are separated by different languages are far less likely to have any inter-ethnic contact. Low rates of fluency in the lingua franca of the land (which is by and large the language of the institutions and of the majority) hinder inter-ethnic contact. This is clearly shown, for example, for women in Muslim communities in the "West", which in many cases have very low degrees of fluency in the language of the "Western" country they live in, and therefore very low rates of inter-ethnic contact.

Another big factor which hinders inter-ethnic positive contact is an ideological or political position which aims at hegemony or at least at separation according to "identity". Groups which favor the establishment of isolated "identities" and "communities" hinder inter-ethnic contact. "Community leaders" which represent special interests of an "identity" and lobby for special laws and customs in an area which is populated by people who belong to a specific ethnicity/religion hinder inter-ethnic contact, since people who belong to the specific ethnicity/religion are invited to co-operate to the "shared goals" of their community instead of operating as individuals in a diverse society.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

So delicious

http://i.imgur.com/5zKYm8o.jpg

A facebook post where Carrier advertises for tenants for Amanda Metskas and August Brunsman's (director of SSA, poly bi-sexual husband of Amanda) house in Columbus Ohio, and in which Amanda thanks Richard and comments further. In August 2015, 3 months after SSA removed from the list of speakers because of the harassment complaint.

This to me is entirely unprofessional for someone connected to organisations that work with young adults. If you have a zero policy on harassment then show it, and support the people you run the organisation for. Either end your relationship with the person who has been found to have committed harassment at events you are connected with, or continue the relationship and resign your position. Because something like this is bound to happen if you don't, and you drag what appears to be an organisation with good, worthy aims, through the mud for your personal fuck-life.

In all of these posts and photos of Amanda and Richard, Amanda has been tagged. On facebook there is a facility where photos you have been tagged in can automatically appear on your timeline. Or you have the facility to not have them appear in your timeline or in your photos section by having them held for review and you decide which ones appear. Amanda Metskas does not have any of these tagged photos on her timeline.

One wonders what could be the reason that Amanda does not want photos of herself with Richard to be connected to her account.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Really? wrote:Fuck me. HunnyBunny, Dicky is listed in Camp Quest west's 2014 bulletin as a friend or volunteer. Please snap that up. I can't link on my phone. It is a PDF. Also listed are Brian Parts, the brother in law with whom he did that bonsai podcast and Carrie Poppy.

:o No, can't be, he hasn't been involved since 2009 :dance:

Really?

Post by Really? »

HunnyBunny wrote:
Really? wrote:Fuck me. HunnyBunny, Dicky is listed in Camp Quest west's 2014 bulletin as a friend or volunteer. Please snap that up. I can't link on my phone. It is a PDF. Also listed are Brian Parts, the brother in law with whom he did that bonsai podcast and Carrie Poppy.

I can beat that. Here is Sticky pimping Camp Quest in his widely acclaimed FTBCon 2 presentation from 2014.

[youtube]SAqAR7ezKfc[/youtube]

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Steersman wrote: Changing gears, not sure of how your ghostwriting is going for your daughter but I just ran across this that might be of some value:
Thanks for the link Steers.

This is one of the dangers of dealing with many self-professed "Muslim community leaders": they're often the most outspoken and influential imams, i.e. Salafis or Salafi-friendly. I've written this multiple times: these people get A LOT of money and training from the Saudis/Gulf States, and their views are completely incompatible with liberal democracy. They're dangerous people who shouldn't be enabled, and shouldn't be taken approached by politicians in a misguided attempt to "reach out" to a community.

Panahi is right. Those people hinder "inter-ethnic contact", they promote inter-religious hatred and their goal is to create Sharia-dominated ghettoes or even to take over society. They're part of the problem, regardless of whether they say they're against violence or not. They're authoritarian theocrats on a level which is extreme even when compared to the worst of the US Christian right.

Any politician which legitimates them is damaging liberal democracy AND any chance of a peaceful integration of Muslim immigrants. They should be social pariah on the level of the KKK or of an explicitly Nazi party.

Having a dinner with them just because they're "community leaders" is probably the worst thing you can do to promote progress in society,

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

HunnyBunny wrote:

Damn, I can't find the link. I've looked through all the old newsletter on Camp Quest West's site but didn't find anything.