The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
Really?

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by Really? »

deLurch wrote:
Really? wrote:Wow. Sticky Dicky is as dumb as he is horny.
So you're allowed to fuck the students as long as your name is not on a list. Shady as shit.
Saving that:
https://archive.is/VSSsB

I bet both Richard and his poly-girlfriend-wive had the same interpretation. Getting off the list was not an end to business as usual. It meant that it was now officially open season.

Having been on the list for so long, and with no open announcement from the SSA about his removal from the list, being removed was no big deal. All the other SSA organizations knew he was available to speak from him working out deals with all the other college SSA groups. It was all about throwing the complainant a bone.
Don't forget that they also threw her some funding...

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

deLurch wrote:
Really? wrote:Wow. Sticky Dicky is as dumb as he is horny.
So you're allowed to fuck the students as long as your name is not on a list. Shady as shit.
Saving that:
https://archive.is/VSSsB

I bet both Richard and his poly-girlfriend-wive had the same interpretation. Getting off the list was not an end to business as usual. It meant that it was now officially open season.

Having been on the list for so long, and with no open announcement from the SSA about his removal from the list, being removed was no big deal. All the other SSA organizations knew he was available to speak from him working out deals with all the other college SSA groups. It was all about throwing the complainant a bone.
IIRC the complainant also received cash, a scholarship or some such.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Damn :nin:

hippodown

Post by hippodown »

carrierssa.jpg
(60.56 KiB) Downloaded 302 times
heres Dr Carrier at SSA Florida from May 14th this year. taken from their Twit page.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

comhcinc wrote:New Chekov has died in a car crash.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/23 ... 655497.jpg
I see a transporter beam accident in Chekov's future. "OMG. I am in a different body!"

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

hippodown wrote:
carrierssa.jpg
heres Dr Carrier at SSA Florida from May 14th this year. taken from their Twit page.
Wow, I didn't know he had a stunt double. Probably makes polyamory easier on the schedule.

hippodown

Post by hippodown »

d4m10n wrote:
hippodown wrote:
carrierssa.jpg
Wow, I didn't know he had a stunt double. Probably makes polyamory easier on the schedule.
dont quite get you?

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
d4m10n wrote:
Really? wrote:Damion: if you post my thing, I accidentally left the victim's name in one of the quotes. Feel free to pop it out. It's public everywhere else, and she is liking posts, but it looks like they are pretending it's not.
Fuck. I tried to post it thrice, using multiple accounts. It would appear they have either blocked me or locked the thread.

That would piss me off. Hopefully you have another point of contact.
Blogged about it, which I'd've avoided but for the fact that they cut off communication in the original forum.

http://www.skepticink.com/backgroundpro ... -alliance/

Hopefully I did you justice, Really.
hippodown wrote:
d4m10n wrote:
hippodown wrote:
carrierssa.jpg
dont quite get you?
Dude on the far left looks like a beardy version of RC.

hippodown

Post by hippodown »

ah..poor fellah.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

d4m10n wrote:In other Carrier news, I got a reply back from SSA
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016061 ... 9adddd.jpg
Well that is a dodged answer. He has clearly been speaking for three SSA clubs since his removal from the speaking list.

I guess we will have to assume the the SSA answers questions like Bill Clinton does.
[youtube]VBe_guezGGc[/youtube]

hippodown

Post by hippodown »

The May 14th 2016 SSA FIT gig seems to be him doing his full "Historicity of Jesus" Speil.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Content Note: Quoting Steers, I'm sorry.
Steersman wrote: *snip*
But I'm curious about your position on Brexit. Seems like a good idea for any number of reasons - putting an end to Muslim immigration for one thing, and the EU seems rather undemocratic to say the least.
The majority of 'muslim' immigration won't end, and that's just a silly statement from ignorance. Most muslim immigration comes from British Immigration policy that won't be changing - family members from muslims already present. And most increase in the percentage of muslims in the UK will come from those already there, for which you can thank Labour in the late 90s. The birthrate of muslims is significantly higher than other groups. If they UK wants to stop the increasing islamification of the UK, what it must do is stop worrying abut immigration and start secularising the country. Remove the rights of religious groups to any special consideration, ban faith schools, ban identifying religious icons (no minarets, no crosses) or dress in public. Allow free speech that criticises and laughs at religious beliefs. Stop religious education in schools, make it education about secular society and rationalism.

The problem the UK has is that Christians, or the culturally Christian think that clinging to their beliefs and pushing christian culture is a way to counter Islam. It isn't, because Christians are so fucking pathetic at promoting their religion, so wishy washy and liberal, that all allowing religions special rights does is allow Islam to dominate as the one true religion.
Steersman wrote:But this rather ambiguous tweet from Louise Mensch at least suggests some hidden gotchas for leaving - not that that should necessarily be decisive; principles and all that:
Louise Mensch is a Christian who should know better than to retweet blantantly false shit like that. But she does think that closing the borders will protect her church. It won't, they're fucked for reasons listed above. She doesn't even live in the country, she's a hypocritical twat.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

d4m10n wrote:
Blogged about it, which I'd've avoided but for the fact that they cut off communication in the original forum.

http://www.skepticink.com/backgroundpro ... -alliance/

Hopefully I did you justice, Really.
Thanks Damion, at least one person in the American AS movement has the courage to do the right thing.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

deLurch wrote:
d4m10n wrote:In other Carrier news, I got a reply back from SSA
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016061 ... 9adddd.jpg
Well that is a dodged answer. He has clearly been speaking for three SSA clubs since his removal from the speaking list.

*snip*
Neatly dodged. They're learning. 'SSA Sponsored Events', so when individual groups invite him on their own, without head group funding, it's completely fine, and Carrier can continue to use speaking engagements to pick up students. In which case, they should all stop calling themselves SSA chapters, because using the SSA logo is giving people false understanding.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Abbie's shitty movie reviews:

'Goosebumps' actually kinda cute with some clever lines in there. Shitty CGI but esp fun if you read the books as a kid.

'Central Intelligence' so shitty, but I love The Rock and action comedies so I liked it. Some real funny lines/bits/gags.

BONUS Abbie's shitty movie trailer reviews:
'Boo! A Madea Halloween'
AAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!!!!!

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

HunnyBunny wrote:Neatly dodged. They're learning. 'SSA Sponsored Events', so when individual groups invite him on their own, without head group funding, it's completely fine, and Carrier can continue to use speaking engagements to pick up students. In which case, they should all stop calling themselves SSA chapters, because using the SSA logo is giving people false understanding.
Are you sure those groups did not receive travel funding? The only thing the SSA head organization did was remove him from the list. I saw nothing about not covering travel, hotel & per diem expenses for speakers not on their list. Individual groups can still apply.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

I would have an ounce of sympathy for Carrier if, even once, he had spoken up for us Chill Girls, or thunderf00t, or anyone who was 'accused' of not even having, but WANTING to 'have sex', without even a suggestion of any kind of impropriety. An "Ooooh! They might be wanting to hook up with grown ass adult atheists? Who cares?" in 2011 would have been useful to Carrier in 2016, but, meh. Standard hypocrite.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Newsflash: SSA have no idea what is going on in their organisation, so they've asked someone to tell them.

http://i.imgur.com/srZfJS7.jpg

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

goofed on the image, here it is without real names

http://i.imgur.com/F3gZmVW.jpg

Really?

Post by Really? »

HunnyBunny wrote:goofed on the image, here it is without real names

Maybe some of us should send invoices to SSA, as we figured everything out and with no access to the principals.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

HunnyBunny wrote:Content Note: Quoting Steers, I'm sorry.
Well, I should hope so. Apart from being the proximate cause of a serious and barbaric reduction in the kitten population of animal shelters across this fair land, people have been hung, drawn, and quartered for less .... :-)

But thanks for the comments & perspectives.
HunnyBunny wrote:
Steersman wrote: *snip*
But I'm curious about your position on Brexit. Seems like a good idea for any number of reasons - putting an end to Muslim immigration for one thing, and the EU seems rather undemocratic to say the least.
The majority of 'muslim' immigration won't end, and that's just a silly statement from ignorance. Most muslim immigration comes from British Immigration policy that won't be changing - family members from muslims already present. .... Remove the rights of religious groups to any special consideration, ban faith schools, ban identifying religious icons (no minarets, no crosses) or dress in public. Allow free speech that criticises and laughs at religious beliefs. Stop religious education in schools, make it education about secular society and rationalism.

The problem the UK has is that Christians, or the culturally Christian think that clinging to their beliefs and pushing christian culture is a way to counter Islam. It isn't, because Christians are so fucking pathetic at promoting their religion, so wishy washy and liberal, that all allowing religions special rights does is allow Islam to dominate as the one true religion.
Yes, I quite agree with most if not all of that. However, I've also seen more than a few articles questioning the wisdom of allowing Turkey into the EU, and the consequences of that on various immigration policies:
Nearly half of Turkish immigrants in Germany put Islam above law, shock study reveals
Should the UK be worried about Turkish immigration?
Turkey is not part of Europe – as the history of our continent shows

But relative to immigration, my hobby horse of closing mosques and madrasas and deporting Muslims - mullahs at least, and those religous rights, I note that Australia has, quite commendably, taken that bull by the horns:
OFF YOU GO 06.16.16 8:57 AM ET
Australia Boots Iranian Cleric Who Says Gays Must Die

In the wake of the Orlando massacre, Sheikh Farrokh Bahram Sekaleshfar’s incitement to murder is seen as too much for Canberra.

Sheikh Farrokh Bahram Sekaleshfar, a Shia cleric of Iranian descent, sits opposite a reporter from the Australian TV network ABC. He is about to be kicked out of the country over his views, but he insists he played no role in the June 12 Orlando massacre. ....
Bravo. The whole lot of them should get the bum's rush - do not pass Go, do not collect $200.
HunnyBunny wrote:
Steersman wrote:But this rather ambiguous tweet from Louise Mensch at least suggests some hidden gotchas for leaving - not that that should necessarily be decisive; principles and all that:
[.tweet][/tweet]
Louise Mensch is a Christian who should know better than to retweet blantantly false shit like that. But she does think that closing the borders will protect her church. It won't, they're fucked for reasons listed above. She doesn't even live in the country, she's a hypocritical twat.
Haven't followed her that much to know whether that's entirely justified, although I'll agree that that claim looked highly questionable. And I was surprised to see her tweeting about "our party" in referring to the US Democrats as WIkipedia at least didn't give any indication of dual citizenship. But I'm also curious about your position on Brexit; seem to recollect you had said something against it recently.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

ERV wrote:Abbie's shitty movie reviews:

'Goosebumps' actually kinda cute with some clever lines in there. Shitty CGI but esp fun if you read the books as a kid.
Ermahgerd! Erbeh lerks Gersberms!

I just watched "Embrace of the serpent" (low budget eco-message movie), was pretty good. Not amazing but enjoyable enough to warrant a viewing.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4285496/

Mind you, I'm full of whiskey so...yeah.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-C1vpoW1xfO8/ ... 600/10.jpg

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

Are they reviewing comments before they appear?

CaptainFluffyBunny

Easy J wrote:Are they reviewing comments before they appear?
On Facebook? Not likely, judging by some of those already there. Damion warns the thread may be locked.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Really? wrote:
Maybe some of us should send invoices to SSA, as we figured everything out and with no access to the principals.
Just know that some time within the next week or two (when ever they decide on an investigator) that person will be referencing Brieve's chart to make sense of all this.

Really?

Post by Really? »

deLurch wrote:
Really? wrote:
Just know that some time within the next week or two (when ever they decide on an investigator) that person will be referencing Brieve's chart to make sense of all this.
I envy that investigator. He or she has no idea who Carrier is and will learn about him for the first time.

"So he told everyone atheism must be about feminism...while he was cheating on his wife? And he just called himself poly? What is this Benson blog...semen what? This guy's a fucking weirdo."

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Steersman wrote:*snip* But I'm also curious about your position on Brexit; seem to recollect you had said something against it recently.
I prefer not to discuss the Brexit thing on the grounds that it is just an endless argument and neither side has acted in much good faith. I blame Cameron for his stupid promise to hold a referendum ultimately. And that's all I'm going to say about that. ;)

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Really? wrote:"So he told everyone atheism must be about feminism...while he was cheating on his wife? And he just called himself poly? What is this Benson blog...semen what? This guy's a fucking weirdo."
The SSA is based out of Columbus. What do you think the odds are that the investigator will end up being a member of "The Room."

The best out for the SSA as an organization is to do what the CFI did and hire professional independent investigators and follow their recommendations. But given what I have seen, they are going to continue to fuck it up.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Fang called me yesterday to apologize for talking-crazy about wanting to beat-up the guy who gave him AIDS.
Fang had a long talk with his current AA sponsor, who is HIV+. And his previous sponsor, a well-grounded old businessman. Fang said he feels like nobody is truly on his side, since his dad died. The old guy knows Fang doesn't like the 'higher power' god stuff in AA. He suggested, instead of AA's usual advice of a daily morning prayer, Fang should 'talk to' his dead dad. The mere idea of this soothed Fang. Sounds alright to me. Fang hadn't been to an AA meeting in months, so he & the old guy did that, too.

M is a kosher-jewish girl who attends art openings & has begun a modestly successful side-career making art. We met on Tinder over a year ago, but shifted from hook-ups to friends. She wanted to see Kenny Scharf spraypaint volunteers' cars at a Museum in Queens, so today I drove us there in my dubious minivan.

http://i.imgur.com/TIHwFf5.png

I thought she chose that event because I've worked with Kenny a handful of times-- over a handful of years & I love the guy. But she had forgotten that. When I told her my connection, she was wary... like maybe she thought I had barely worked with the famous artist & was exaggerating our friendship. I worried she was right-- that Kenny wouldn't remember me. It took him a sec to recognize me, but then he lit-up, slapped hands 1970's-style, and told bystanders a quick story about me helping him paint an outdoor mural on a freezing day.
http://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/hypeb ... book-0.jpg

The museum's ground floor showed Kenny's art. The 2nd floor was devoted to 1970's graffiti icons, like Dondi, LEE, Rammelzee, CRASH, Futura 2000 & Keith Haring. Those were the guys I was aware-of, and idolized from afar, as a kid. Every single one-- still living-- I eventually worked-with, or knew socially. The ones who died long before we met-- I worked on posthumous projects, restoring & re-showing their art with my own hands, for their mother/widow/childhood mentor.
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-FFoCQFM6_zI/ ... G_4159.JPG

Then M & I ate Turkish food & I broke my diet for Froyo, because the Froyo place was called YOLO. We talked about the Orlando shooting & Brock Turner-- which risked harming our friendship. But it went fine. She told me a harrowing story about an ex-lover showing up drunk at 2 a.m., a couple nights ago, carrying an empty beer mug from a bar, shining his cellphone flashlight in her bedroom window. I expressed by reservations about white-knighting, but told her she could call me for help if it happens again. I told her about semen fetishist Dr. Richard Carrier PhD, and how his SJW cohorts obfuscate his admitted sexual harassment.
We drove the whole way back from Long Island on a 25 mph boulevard, watching the procession of Gucci & Tiffany's stores fade into low-rent nail salons, as we entered Queens.

Was a good day.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Every pitter deserves a good day now and again.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Naught for naught I don't think it's exactly crazy for wanting to beat up a person that gave you aids.

It actually sounds like a pretty rational response.

Keating

Post by Keating »

comhcinc wrote:
Easy J wrote:
comhcinc wrote:You didn't?
Hell, no! Little fucker stuck me with the motel bill, though.

Show me where the bad man touched you.

http://i42.tinypic.com/vyqmx2.jpg
Why do you have a naked Richard Carrier doll?

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Are you saying you don't?

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

comhcinc wrote:Naught for naught I don't think it's exactly crazy for wanting to beat up a person that gave you aids.

Hypothetically, maybe. In practice, Fang wasn't being 'rational' about it.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Service Dog wrote:
comhcinc wrote:Naught for naught I don't think it's exactly crazy for wanting to beat up a person that gave you aids.

Hypothetically, maybe. In practice, Fang wasn't being 'rational' about it.

I get what you are saying. I am just saying I would be real understanding of wanting to apply some violence to the guy.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Keating wrote:
comhcinc wrote:Show me where the bad man touched you.

http://i42.tinypic.com/vyqmx2.jpg
Why do you have a naked Richard Carrier doll?
Hm. That would make me way above average for a caucasian. Cool.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:
What's struck me, that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere (not that I've gone looking specifically), is that by far most of the victims were men, presumably cis gay men. Maybe that's just so obvious it isn't being mentioned?
Think back. Men are almost never mentioned as men in the news. Reports may say people, and then women & children. News reports mainly refer to men by their utility such as Miners, Sailors, Crew or as Survivors and then say women and children.

For example: UN says 800 migrants dead in boat disaster as Italy launches rescue of two more vessels
“There were a little over 800 people on board, including children aged between 10 and 12. There were Syrians, about 150 Eritreans, Somalians … They had left Tripoli at about 8am on Saturday.”
While aid agencies have not yet had access to the survivors of the wreck, one survivor airlifted to Sicily for medical treatment said the fishing boat had been carrying about 950 people, including many women and children.
While aid agencies have not yet had access to the survivors of the wreck, one survivor airlifted to Sicily for medical treatment said the fishing boat had been carrying about 950 people, including many women and children.
Once this was pointed out to me, I found it impossible to ignore. So nothing unusual to me at all.
Oh, I agree. Noticed that many years ago in news articles. Tried pointing it out here a couple of months back & was assured that I was imagining things. :roll:

CaptainFluffyBunny

Skep tickle wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:
What's struck me, that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere (not that I've gone looking specifically), is that by far most of the victims were men, presumably cis gay men. Maybe that's just so obvious it isn't being mentioned?
Think back. Men are almost never mentioned as men in the news. Reports may say people, and then women & children. News reports mainly refer to men by their utility such as Miners, Sailors, Crew or as Survivors and then say women and children.

For example: UN says 800 migrants dead in boat disaster as Italy launches rescue of two more vessels
“There were a little over 800 people on board, including children aged between 10 and 12. There were Syrians, about 150 Eritreans, Somalians … They had left Tripoli at about 8am on Saturday.”
Once this was pointed out to me, I found it impossible to ignore. So nothing unusual to me at all.
Oh, I agree. Noticed that many years ago in news articles. Tried pointing it out here a couple of months back & was assured that I was imagining things. :roll:
Who said that you were imagining, if I may ask?

Guest_2dd56722

Post by Guest_2dd56722 »

Not a pro. The "investigator" is Eliott Canter, the same guy discussed here:

patheos.com/blogs/godlessindixie/2016/05/05/nice-reputation/

dogen

Post by dogen »

dogen wrote:
Leary is that good at stealing...
Dogen, how goes the harp playing?
Got 3 (the Special 20 set), just got given the tutorials as a fathers day gift. On my way -- thanks!

CaptainFluffyBunny

dogen wrote:
dogen wrote:
Leary is that good at stealing...
Dogen, how goes the harp playing?
Got 3 (the Special 20 set), just got given the tutorials as a fathers day gift. On my way -- thanks!
We will have to have a pit jam someday. Harp is an underrated and versatile instrument. Have fun.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Skep tickle wrote: Oh, I agree. Noticed that many years ago in news articles. Tried pointing it out here a couple of months back & was assured that I was imagining things. :roll:
Ahahaha. No need for me to assure you. We both know that your are correct and whoever told you that you were imagining things is wrong. So wrong it is referred to as "not even wrong".

Really?

Post by Really? »

Guest_2dd56722 wrote:Not a pro. The "investigator" is Eliott Canter, the same guy discussed here:

Thanks for this. Looks like the incest continues.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Guest_2dd56722 wrote:Not a pro. The "investigator" is Eliott Canter, the same guy discussed here:

You mean the investigator looking into Dicky's splurg all over SSA is Eliott Canter?

Is there a link confirming he is leading the investigation?

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

The special snowflake waters are further muddied.

I give you...a white woman of colour!

[youtube]zWMsrNKajDo[/youtube]

CaptainFluffyBunny

Really? wrote:

Thanks for this. Looks like the incest continues.
Great mother of fuck. Anybody got any personal corroboration or info on this? That read was weird. Scientology weird.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Looks like Canter was the point person in the Stollznow investigation. We all remember how that went...

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

His description on the Nashville Nones Convention, March 5th, 2016, says that his firm deals with "Sexual Harassment/Code Of Conduct/Hostile Work Environment training and investigations." This
partially explains his involvement in this case to some extent. He was also consulting for the JREF in 2013, specifically involved in the harassment case of Dr. Karen Stollznow.
That came from this article, which is a 'down the rabbit hole' series of posts ably demonstrating how completely incestuous and fucked up the Amercian AS scene is

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/wwjtd/2016 ... 2682897038

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Still, I expect this Eliott chap will be well versed in incestuous organisational behaviour. Given he was brought in to investigate the Sarah Moreland / Recovering From Religion things, during which Sarah Moreland was replaced as head by...Eliott's wife. :rimshot: . Beautiful.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Skimming the thread, I'm getting the impression that the current SJ stand to be applied to sexual behaviour is as follows:

1. You must obtain verbal consent at every stage. In other words, you must ask. Anyone who does not do this is a rapist and must be shunned.

2. If you ask and she says no, you're guilty of serial harassment and must be shunned.

They've finally arranged it so you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. If you're male, that is.* Applying standards of any sort to female sexual behaviour is patriarchal and slut-shaming.

*in-crowd exemptions apply. IOKWWDI.

I'm a bit of an absolutist on sex: what goes on between consenting adults is none of my business. Carrier's behaviour may be comical, but the only wrong he seems to have done is be a massive hypocrite, condemning other people for things he justifies in himself.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Read "sexual" for "serial" in my previous comment. I thought I'd corrected all the autocorrects but apparently not.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Day 1 on the job.

Good news is I report direct to the new CEO whom I know well and there is an appetite for massive fix up.

Bad news is the state chapter I am working out of is a mess. Cat3 cabling stuck down on the floor, a server that does nothing, mindlessly beeping in the IT room as it sucks its last breath. Over all they have custom systems extending back 15 years, all of which have hit end of life .... Plus a number of third party system advisors each trying to out do the other with their FUD attacks on their "competitors".

Still I wanted a challenge.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

paddybrown wrote:Skimming the thread, I'm getting the impression that the current SJ stand to be applied to sexual behaviour is as follows:

1. You must obtain verbal consent at every stage. In other words, you must ask. Anyone who does not do this is a rapist and must be shunned.

2. If you ask and she says no, you're guilty of serial harassment and must be shunned.

They've finally arranged it so you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. If you're male, that is.* Applying standards of any sort to female sexual behaviour is patriarchal and slut-shaming.

I'm a bit of an absolutist on sex: what goes on between consenting adults is none of my business. Carrier's behaviour may be comical, but the only wrong he seems to have done is be a massive hypocrite, condemning other people for things he justifies in himself.
In this case, he did objectively do something wrong. The SSA had a policy against trying to fuck the students where he goes to speak. Richard tried to fuck the students where he spoke. One that he admitted to. One that he got reported for & "banned" for. It was a clear cut policy that he knew about well ahead of time and wrote about at length.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

So is anyone up for playing devils advocate and explain how Carrier is a better moral human being than Shermer?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

paddybrown wrote:Skimming the thread, I'm getting the impression that the current SJ stand to be applied to sexual behaviour is as follows:

I have to agree with paddy here. The only reason why Carrier is such a laughingstock is his massive hypocrisy. He's the SJW equivalent of an anti-gay pastor caught with his pants down in a room with a male prostitute. There doesn't seem to be anything incredibly wrong with what he has done: he hasn't raped anyone and hasn't had sex or advocated sex with underage women. Sure it's fun to see him twisting himself into a pretzel to justify his behavior before the Supreme Tribunal of Social Justice Inquisition, but supporting the SJW standards in his case just because we're talking about Mr. Spunk isn't the best choice we can make.

Carrier is a narcissistic egomaniac with lousy social skills but as long as he doesn't break the law everything that he does is his business. Even the issues with his cheating are his and his wife's problems. He's an insensitive moron for exposing his own private issues as a badge of "poly oppression", and he's a pathetic serial liar, but I think that some people here are painting him as unfairly as he did with Shermer.

Now if yo're doing it to emphasize how much of hypocrite Carrier is that's fine. If you're serious about wanting people to resign because Carrier might have made a pass at an adult woman who felt uncomfortable about it I think you're taking this too far.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Me, I just want to give a boost to the popcorn industry. And laugh at the general display of hypocrisy.

Usual Pit stuff, in short.

(And Paddy, it was a pleasure to host you guys. Don't hesitate to call if you come around these parts again)

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Brive1987 wrote:Day 1 on the job.

Good news is I report direct to the new CEO whom I know well and there is an appetite for massive fix up.

Bad news is the state chapter I am working out of is a mess. Cat3 cabling stuck down on the floor, a server that does nothing, mindlessly beeping in the IT room as it sucks its last breath. Over all they have custom systems extending back 15 years, all of which have hit end of life .... Plus a number of third party system advisors each trying to out do the other with their FUD attacks on their "competitors".

Still I wanted a challenge.
Look out the window. Maybe that's the problem.
http://www.worldpropertyjournal.com/new ... -Lines.jpg

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Kirbmarc wrote: Now if yo're doing it to emphasize how much of hypocrite Carrier is that's fine. If you're serious about wanting people to resign because Carrier might have made a pass at an adult woman who felt uncomfortable about it I think you're taking this too far.
Speaking for myself, that is my motivation, or at least 90% If it turns out that Carrier really is a legitimate threat in terms of kiddie diddling, then so much the better in taking him out. But taking him out is like nailing Jello to a tree. It is the spectacle that amuses me. What do you get when you mix an arrogant ephebophilic sex maniac with delusions of being an ageless adonis with a neo-puritanical sex-negative cult? Just how long will PZ tolerate a "sneaky little fucker" (SLF) raiding his fantasy alpha male harem without doing something? Every day it just makes him look more the fool. And I love it, I have to admit.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

deLurch wrote:

In this case, he did objectively do something wrong. The SSA had a policy against trying to fuck the students where he goes to speak. Richard tried to fuck the students where he spoke. One that he admitted to. One that he got reported for & "banned" for. It was a clear cut policy that he knew about well ahead of time and wrote about at length.
It's a bit more murky than that. Straight from the horse's mouth:
Leaky Dicky wrote:At an afterparty at a pub after a sponsored event that had an event policy against making sexual advances, after having engaged in fascinating and intense conversation with a woman for hours, I badly misread her fascination with the subject as flirtatious interest in me, and I told her that I’d like to make a pass at her. She was confused and taken aback by that, was definitely not interested, and I immediately realized I’d crossed a line with her. I was worried I had made her uncomfortable. I immediately apologized. She continued on her own interest to engage me in excellent conversation for several hours more and everything turned out well, but still. I should not have said that to her.

Once again I felt really awful about it because I got the definite impression I had made her uncomfortable, and that’s not how I should be making people feel who come to events. The more so if she gets that all the time (since I’m not the only man she’s going to meet at these things). But in this case in particular, I shouldn’t have allowed the ambiguity of where we were to imply the event policy didn’t apply. The sponsors had an obligation to make sure they weren’t complicit in causing this kind of discomfort. And responsibility for helping them with that starts with men like me. (And women like me.)
The situation is ambiguous enough that it's not clear whether the rules of SSA applied, and Carrier writes that he just suggested that he'd "like to make a pass" at a woman and backed off immediately after a negative reaction. I'm not sure if this brief interaction at an afterparty is a breach of the SSA policy.

Now of course Carrier could be lying and have done much worse, or the SSA policy could be so strict that a slightly flirty line is defined as sexual harassment, but if we take Carrier's admission at face level I don't think this is such a great scandal, and if the SSA policy is really so strict then it's pretty insane.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

MarcusAu wrote:So is anyone up for playing devils advocate and explain how Carrier is a better moral human being than Shermer?
I love playing devil's advocate, but even I can't come up with a plausible case for that.