The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by HunnyBunny »

deLurch wrote:http://www.peacock-panache.com/2016/06/ ... 23569.html
Do you feel the secular movement is gaining traction in general? I ask because it seems respected members of the movement are having trouble avoiding controversy and scandal lately, with the likes of Sarah Morehead, Neil Carter, Richard Carrier and others being under intense scrutiny following various accusations involving their character.
Do you feel the secular movement is gaining traction in general? I ask because it seems respected members of the movement are having trouble avoiding controversy and scandal lately, with the likes of Sarah Morehead, Neil Carter, Richard Carrier and others being under intense scrutiny following various accusations involving their character. Is this hurting the movement, or are they merely distractions as we move forward?

MN: Distractions. The movement is growing as we all know. We are going to have bad eggs in the bunch just like any group of people. The larger the group, the more examples of swindlers and crooks and perverts.
Did he just call Richard Carrier a pervert? How very sex-negative of him.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Cnutella wrote:I can't quite believe PZ can keep Carrier on now he's the cautionary tale on the front page of PZ's pet convention's web site...

This is from Skepticon's 'About' page:
Skepticon is a skeptic/freethinker/educational/awesome conference that is held annually in Springfield, MO.
It is the mission of Skepticon to support, promote, and develop free-thought skeptic, and scientific communities through inclusive educational programming.

…which is really a fancy way of saying we all get together to share ideas, knowledge, and high fives.
Skepticon is also the largest FREE skeptic conference in the nation, and quite possibly the universe*. We accomplish this through a small team of dedicated workers, the help of a great many amazing volunteers, and of course–the support of people like you!

We also enforce a harassment policy as it’s important to Skepticon that any and everyone feel welcome.

*we have PZ Myers working on verifying this
Sounds like he's wasting time verifying the wrong things. Someone there should set him straight.

I forgot that Zvan was a speaker last year at, I think, the lowest attended Skepticon since the first few conferences. It just shows that they can muscle their way into different mediums and genres and fuck them up, they can stifle expression and choke discussion by policing language and behavior but they can't force people to listen, to date who they say they should date, or to pay them any attention at all beyond what is necessary for self-protection. They can try to pull down horsemen off their steeds, but they can't convince the rank and file skeptics and atheists that they have anyone worthwhile to put in their place. It must be killing them.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

They can keep on chanting that atheism is more than just a word in the dictionary, but while they remain so inescapably clueless and welcoming of preachers, proselytizers, and perverts, then the initial traction they gained within atheism will soon disappear under a slippery mudslide.

Goodbye A+Theism, goodbye Becky Whatnot, goodbye PZ Meyers, and goodbye all of you incessant whingers. You might have enough support to sustain your preachers through Patreon and Kickstarter, and to provide a free vacation to the select few a couple times per year to your "conferences", but hopeless neckbeards and fat dykes are a limited audience. You have nowhere to grow into.

You're fucked.

Stretchycheese

Post by Stretchycheese »

Interesting developments, regarding Carrier. Perhaps Brive can re-visit Sargon's youtube channel to provide an update? Or Noel Plum's perhaps.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

free thoughtpolice wrote:I'm wondering who Leggy Sioux might be. I know from genuine Americans of Aboriginal Origin like Caine that Sioux is actually a bad word that the Cree call the totally not land stealing and civilized Lakota folks.
Something just doesn't add up. :think:
On Richard's facebook page he lists Siouxsie Sioux as his favorite music.
[youtube]5PjUY8IXvnA[/youtube]

Really?

Post by Really? »

Stretchycheese wrote:Interesting developments, regarding Carrier. Perhaps Brive can re-visit Sargon's youtube channel to provide an update? Or Noel Plum's perhaps.
Great ideas. I am also hoping for a mykeru video.

Stretchycheese

Post by Stretchycheese »

Really? wrote:
Stretchycheese wrote:Interesting developments, regarding Carrier. Perhaps Brive can re-visit Sargon's youtube channel to provide an update? Or Noel Plum's perhaps.
Great ideas. I am also hoping for a mykeru video.
Not sure if he'll see it, but I sent Sargon a message on his youtube channel. We'll see what happens...

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Ophelia Benson seems pleased. Or. I don't know. It's hard to tell.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnnnext/dam/as ... ge-169.jpg

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

https://yt3.ggpht.com/-hrIgjAg3No4/AAAA ... /photo.jpg

My accountant offers congrats on Brive & Commie's new jobs & everyone's baysean lulz.

He'll be back. "Soon."

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

[youtube]7P_QEn_QEwI[/youtube]

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Service Dog wrote:Ophelia Benson seems pleased. Or. I don't know. It's hard to tell.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnnnext/dam/as ... ge-169.jpg
:clap: :dance: :lol:

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Service Dog wrote:https://yt3.ggpht.com/-hrIgjAg3No4/AAAA ... /photo.jpg

My accountant offers congrats on Brive & Commie's new jobs & everyone's baysean lulz.

He'll be back. "Soon."
I look forward to the return of your accountant. I hope he has been well and happy.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Comment 15 on Zvan's thread demonstrates she has her facts twisted. If only she would let us peer review her work.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Really? wrote:Comment 15 on Zvan's thread demonstrates she has her facts twisted. If only she would let us peer review her work.
Fresh archive for those who wish to look:
https://archive.is/PsdGp
Tek:
Did Carrier admit that it was Frank’s complaint that the SSA was investigating? I read it as, he believed a different student made a complaint, and thought it was that lessor infraction (Carrier’s opinion not mine) that was being investigated. I could be mistaken.

Stephanie Zvan:
Tek, if you really find such a detail in any way important or interesting, go look. The information is still in his blog post, and there’s a link to that here.

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the Mary's Monday Metazoan post is actually written by PZ. If this is really his first post about the Sinking of the Carrier outside of the comments section, it's as oblique as it is graceless.
Mary’s Monday Metazoan: Today’s mood — goblin shark

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... 00x292.jpg

This is how I feel today. Stay clear.
https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://fr ... lin-shark/

Looks like we got ourselves an abyssal badass here, guys! What's he going to do, ban people in his comments who step a fraction out of line?

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

It's ironic that Zvan's blog about SSA disappearing wrongdoing by Carrier... is followed by Zvan bragging that she's disappearing comments-section wrongdoing by Pitters.

At this point, I have to conclude that Zvan is highly resistant to changing this behavior. She’s received plenty of feedback. Organizations and individuals have told her that whats she’s done is wrong. Her response is to handwave at irrelevancies. I don’t know why anyone would look at her recent blog post on this and think it won’t happen again the moment the opportunity presents itself.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

:nin:

This little guy is for the Pit fact-checking Carrier/ before the Orbiters spoke-up.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

d4m10n wrote:Shout out to The Yeti, who saw it coming years ago: https://www.google.com/search?q=%22hugo ... atheism%22
Hugo Schwyzer of Atheism?

Naw.

Richard Carrier is the Charlie Sheen of Atheism.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Jan Steen wrote:Seeing the likes of Zvan attack him fascinates me to the extent that one piranha eating another can be fascinating. It doesn't make either predator more likable. Nor do I feel pity. It's just Nature, red in tooth and claw.
Watching a grotesque specimen like Zvan gleefully destroy people, even fellow wretches like Carrier, is almost vomit-inducing. What a fucking foul excuse for a human being. Dick Cheney comes across as a warmer and more likeable person.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Service Dog wrote::nin:

This little guy is for the Pit fact-checking Carrier/ before the Orbiters spoke-up.
http://lunkhead.net/jpgs/horse4.jpg

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

I just woke up and went to check my emails. I swear I haven't altered this in any way:

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo35 ... amcusm.jpg

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

The more I think about it, the more I think that the Hadal zone is a pretty good metaphor for Freethought blogs. It's characterized by low population density and low diversity. It is inimical to those who live on the surface and, although it's quite interesting to study, you wouldn't want to live there. The freakish uggos, jelly fish and weakly bioluminescent dingdongs who call it home can live only under pressure and expire when brought up to the sunlit world. They are sluggish and expend as little energy as possible, living out their irrelevant lives and eking out an existence on a diet of garbage, detritus and dead bodies, when they're not eating each other. I think the Hadal Zone may have better Alexa ratings.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Jan Steen wrote:Seeing the likes of Zvan attack him fascinates me to the extent that one piranha eating another can be fascinating. It doesn't make either predator more likable. Nor do I feel pity. It's just Nature, red in tooth and claw.
Please keep your arms, hands, feet and legs inside the boat at all times.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Cnutella wrote:The more I think about it, the more I think that the Hadal zone is a pretty good metaphor for Freethought blogs. It's characterized by low population density and low diversity. It is inimical to those who live on the surface and, although it's quite interesting to study, you wouldn't want to live there. The freakish uggos, jelly fish and weakly bioluminescent dingdongs who call it home can live only under pressure and expire when brought up to the sunlit world. They are sluggish and expend as little energy as possible, living out their irrelevant lives and eking out an existence on a diet of garbage, detritus and dead bodies, when they're not eating each other. I think the Hadal Zone may have better Alexa ratings.
:clap:

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Finding Dildo
[youtube]d6oso_GeEx0[/youtube]

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

katamari Damassi wrote:
deLurch wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:Can't believe Benson hasn't referenced Carrier's troubles yet.
She must be so excited, her spider must be fearing eviction.
:o
Maybe she has learned, after attacking so many other high profile people, that her best possible stance is to stay the fuck out of it.
Naah.
More like she doesn't even know what's going on. She not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer. (...and no, Ophelia, that wasn't a death threat).

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Hunt wrote:More like she doesn't even know what's going on. She not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer. (...and no, Ophelia, that wasn't a death threat).
Perhaps she blocked everyone that might be in the know.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Many a sexual harasser will be acquitted, or can’t get convicted. Yet they are still harassers, even by the legal definition. That juries don’t or can’t be convinced of that does not change reality. And regardless of the legal definition, anyone who sexually harasses another without their honest consent is a harasser, by every moral standard we atheists have been applying to the Bible, and antebellum Christian slavery, and fundamentalist Mormon polygamy, and the scandals of the Catholic Church. We don’t stop to ask, “Oh, wait, was that actually legally sexual harassment where that occurred?” No. We know sexual harassment when we see it.

:whistle:

http://i.imgur.com/XWl71SE.jpg

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:As much as I understand what happened Carrier wasn't in a position of power over the people he was hitting on. He was a guest speaker, not their lecturer. The concept of "power imbalance" isn't as clear cut in this case as it would be for someone who has a clear power over someone else (student-teacher, employer-employee, etc.). There's the issue of age, but it's simplistic to say that differences in age equal power.
Com'on, dude. You know better than this.

Maybe it would have been better if jet_lagg had used "power/prestige" (instead of just "power"), but there is a power difference, even if Carrier isn't grading the students' papers. They are members of an SSA chapter. Carrier is (or, at least, was) a person on the SSA speaking circuit. There's a power difference, even if there's nothing specific that the student wants at that exact moment over which Carrier has say. Don't focus on the age difference.
Let's not focus on age difference then. It wasn't the main point of my comment anyway.

What is "differential power"? In a situation where there's nothing specific that you want on which someone else has a say, how can you say that they have "power" over you? Does a speaker have any kind of power over someone who attends to a speech? If it's a matter of "prestige", then does a rock star also have "prestige/power" over a groupie? What about a famous person over a non-famous one in general? Or someone who's good looking over someone who's not so good looking?
If I fuck some groupies while touring, would you consider there's power at play? I would, if only for the reason they wouldn't be remotely interested if I weren't in the band.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

On a totally unrelated note - does anyone think that Carrier would have the time to give a clear definition of the 'Schrodinger's Rapist' theory?

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
If I fuck some groupies while touring, would you consider there's power at play? I would, if only for the reason they wouldn't be remotely interested if I weren't in the band.
You're a Frenchman, so we just accept that you're a rapist, like that cartoon skunk, or Gerard Depardieu.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

BTW- skunks are North American mammals aren't they? Even the word "skunk" is Algonquin, so how is Pepe Le Pew French? Something is very wrong here.

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

Based Mom retweeted this from HunnyBunny:
And she's just posted this:
Fame at last, Richard.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:If I fuck some groupies while touring, would you consider there's power at play? I would, if only for the reason they wouldn't be remotely interested if I weren't in the band.
If they were adults and consenting I wouldn't see it as a big issue. Yes, there's power at play, but there's also power at play when a millionaire like Donald Trump marries a centerfold model, or when a good looking fellow bangs a not so good looking gal because she's easily available.

There's always some kind of power at play in relationships. People have sex with other people for a variety of reasons: power, money, fame, good looks, charisma, excitement, even conformism ("everyone's doing it, so I might as well do it"). Unless you want to limit sexual relationships to people who are in a stable relationship based on mutual emotional attraction you'll always have some cases of sex due to power differential. And even in couple where emotional attraction is at play you get cases where one side is more "powerful" than the other.

I don't think that what consenting adults do together is anyone's business but theirs. Even cheating is a problem between the persons involved and their eventual families, not a social issue. I believe that unless you're directly involved in a relationship (sexual or otherwise) between consenting adults it's best to mind one's own business.

Anyway I find it funny that many people here are so certain that Carrier is a moral depravate when we were willing to give Shermer the benefit of doubt. Regardless of whether he's guilty of the "hand grenade" rape, Shermer also admitted to hitting on women younger than him at conferences where he's a speaker, and I didn't see anyone arguing that he's potential danger to high school students.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
If I was you, I'd double check my contract before taking any action

[youtube]SQ-1f3tEuyE[/youtube]

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Christine Sommers has 115k followers, I think it's safe to say Carrier isn't going to squirm away from this one. So, PZ, about that blog post...

CaptainFluffyBunny

Kirbmarc wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:If I fuck some groupies while touring, would you consider there's power at play? I would, if only for the reason they wouldn't be remotely interested if I weren't in the band.
If they were adults and consenting I wouldn't see it as a big issue. Yes, there's power at play, but there's also power at play when a millionaire like Donald Trump marries a centerfold model, or when a good looking fellow bangs a not so good looking gal because she's easily available.

There's always some kind of power at play in relationships. People have sex with other people for a variety of reasons: power, money, fame, good looks, charisma, excitement, even conformism ("everyone's doing it, so I might as well do it"). Unless you want to limit sexual relationships to people who are in a stable relationship based on mutual emotional attraction you'll always have some cases of sex due to power differential. And even in couple where emotional attraction is at play you get cases where one side is more "powerful" than the other.

I don't think that what consenting adults do together is anyone's business but theirs. Even cheating is a problem between the persons involved and their eventual families, not a social issue. I believe that unless you're directly involved in a relationship (sexual or otherwise) between consenting adults it's best to mind one's own business.

Anyway I find it funny that many people here are so certain that Carrier is a moral depravate when we were willing to give Shermer the benefit of doubt. Regardless of whether he's guilty of the "hand grenade" rape, Shermer also admitted to hitting on women younger than him at conferences where he's a speaker, and I didn't see anyone arguing that he's potential danger to high school students.
Actually, most of didn't assume he was innocent or incapable, we just didn't think he should be found guilty on available evidence.

Really?

Post by Really? »

HunnyBunny wrote:Christine Sommers has 115k followers, I think it's safe to say Carrier isn't going to squirm away from this one. So, PZ, about that blog post...
I do wish that they would all know what is going on with him. They are all assuming that Dick merely looked at a woman. If they only knew about the poly complications in the situation, the SSA, the semen...

CaptainFluffyBunny

Really? wrote:
HunnyBunny wrote:Christine Sommers has 115k followers, I think it's safe to say Carrier isn't going to squirm away from this one. So, PZ, about that blog post...
I do wish that they would all know what is going on with him. They are all assuming that Dick merely looked at a woman. If they only knew about the poly complications in the situation, the SSA, the semen...
Sad. Carrier is a font of wisdom
photo-looks-like-she-is-holding-giant5.jpg
(42.87 KiB) Downloaded 261 times

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Odd that Christine Sommers picked up on that so quickly. I wonder if she happens to be a atheist.

CaptainFluffyBunny

deLurch wrote:Odd that Christine Sommers picked up on that so quickly. I wonder if she happens to be a atheist.
IIRC, Carrier has dissed her mightily in his blog. It may have come to her attention.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Really? wrote:
It's Gamergate, nuance isn't of interest to many*, headlines they can take the piss out of suffice. It gets Carrier's name associated as a sleaze to a wider audience than it might otherwise have been. Sure some might sympathise, but only for a moment before they take the piss out of him for being a male feminist.

*No offence was or is intended to gamers of any description. Y'all are great, keep up the good... errmm, whatever it is you do. :clap:

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Seeing as I was over The Orbit's way, I did a quick tally-up of how the blogging is going.

Out of 21 blogs, 9 have not blogged in the last month.

43% can't be arsed to get off the couch and rattle of a few vague accusations against anyone. Guess all that marginalisation. misogyny and black lives matter just isn't as important as ordering up another pizza delivery and watching Game of Thrones.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:Actually, most of didn't assume he was innocent or incapable, we just didn't think he should be found guilty on available evidence.
And I'm not assuming that Carrier is incapable of rape or definitely innocent of sexual harassment, I just don't think that what he admitted to is enough to find him guilty of sexual harassment, only of a violation of a SSA code.

I'm saying that if he's telling the truth then he has violated the rules of a SJW organization with very strict standards but he's not necessarily a "danger" to people. Some awkward flirting may make you socially inept and a PR disaster, but it doesn't necessarily make you a danger. Of course if he's lying and he actually crossed some other line (unwanted touching, stalking, etc.) then it's a whole different story.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Kirbmarc wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:Actually, most of didn't assume he was innocent or incapable, we just didn't think he should be found guilty on available evidence.
And I'm not assuming that Carrier is incapable of rape or definitely innocent of sexual harassment, I just don't think that what he admitted to is enough to find him guilty of sexual harassment, only of a violation of a SSA code.

I'm saying that if he's telling the truth then he has violated the rules of a SJW organization with very strict standards but he's not necessarily a "danger" to people. Some awkward flirting may make you socially inept and a PR disaster, but it doesn't necessarily make you a danger. Of course if he's lying and he actually crossed some other line (unwanted touching, stalking, etc.) then it's a whole different story.
Skepticism tells an interesting story. I think they're cunts for sitting on it until it was safe, but there are a lot of people insisting that Carrier doesn't respect boundaries. SSA are cunts for protecting him. These things should come to light.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Skepticon, not skepticism.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Congrats on the retweet from Sommers - must be good for a thousand or two "impressions". :-)

And nice bit of sleuthing from you and Brive et. al. Even if I think that some of the commentary and moralizing from all and sundry is skirting if not crossing the line into witch-hunting. While harassment no doubt happens, I periodically wonder whether "we" are conflating passes from many individuals - which would seem hard to construe as harassment - with multiple ones from a few - which might well qualify.

In any case, while there might be some justification for enjoying some schadenfreude in seeing Sticky Dicky hoist by his tribe's petard, I think the take-home-lesson should be that overly draconian or narrow-minded attempts to legislate morality have a tendency to blow up in one's face. So to speak.

Sent from my Altair 8800 using machine language entered with front panel switches ....

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... mputer.jpg

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Steersman wrote:
Congrats on the retweet from Sommers - must be good for a thousand or two "impressions". :-)
what is this impressions thing you speak of?

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

And Thunderf00t retweeted it. Everyone is going to be enjoying Richard's smooth moves in the AS world soon. Pity* it's because he's more infamous than famous.

*Not really

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

HunnyBunny wrote:
Steersman wrote:
This is the unit of the stats of your tweets.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

HunnyBunny wrote:
Steersman wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/OXNqTRf.png

On your own tweets if you click on that bar-graph icon on the bottom of a tweet - between the heart and the ellipsis - then you'll see some stats, including the number of "impressions".

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Gotcha, that tweet is at 12,400. Hope they all enjoyed Ape+Lust's beautiful encapsulation of Carrier sleaze. Sorry Ape, I usually put an attribution on, but I forgot where I got it from, but I found it in the archives now.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

HunnyBunny wrote:Many a sexual harasser will be acquitted, or can’t get convicted. Yet they are still harassers, even by the legal definition. That juries don’t or can’t be convinced of that does not change reality. And regardless of the legal definition, anyone who sexually harasses another without their honest consent is a harasser, by every moral standard we atheists have been applying to the Bible, and antebellum Christian slavery, and fundamentalist Mormon polygamy, and the scandals of the Catholic Church. We don’t stop to ask, “Oh, wait, was that actually legally sexual harassment where that occurred?” No. We know sexual harassment when we see it.

:whistle:

http://i.imgur.com/XWl71SE.jpg
Cute, but in the original he wrote "rape" and "rapist" not 'sexual harassment'/'harasser'.
And that paragraph appears after he (unintentionally) made a zealous case for why he, now, should be considered a rapist.

According to Carrier, Carrier is definitely rapist.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

katamari Damassi wrote:BTW- skunks are North American mammals aren't they? Even the word "skunk" is Algonquin, so how is Pepe Le Pew French? Something is very wrong here.
I always assumed Pepe was French-Canadian.

Do they have skunks in Canada?

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

HunnyBunny wrote:Gotcha, that tweet is at 12,400. Hope they all enjoyed Ape+Lust's beautiful encapsulation of Carrier sleaze. Sorry Ape, I usually put an attribution on, but I forgot where I got it from, but I found it in the archives now.
Wow! The most I've gotten has been some 10,000 - nothing like having a heavy-hitter signal-boost one's message. :-)

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

HunnyBunny wrote:Seeing as I was over The Orbit's way, I did a quick tally-up of how the blogging is going.

Out of 21 blogs, 9 have not blogged in the last month.

43% can't be arsed to get off the couch and rattle of a few vague accusations against anyone. Guess all that marginalisation. misogyny and black lives matter just isn't as important as ordering up another pizza delivery and watching Game of Thrones.
A ringing endorsement for the replayability of those crowdfunded cat toys, tho.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

feathers

Post by feathers »

jimmyfromchicago wrote:Hi Pit,

PZ and Carrier don't want to talk to me, so I think I'll come here.

I asked PZ when he first learned about Carrier, so he called me a troll and told me to drop it. He said they were "discussing it internally."
Calling someone, anyone, a troll is a fully automated reflex in PZ Myers (and the least insulting at that). One wonders if he even does it when the TSA wants to pat him down.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

VickyCaramel wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:BTW- skunks are North American mammals aren't they? Even the word "skunk" is Algonquin, so how is Pepe Le Pew French? Something is very wrong here.
I always assumed Pepe was French-Canadian.

Do they have skunks in Canada?
Yes. Stripped skunks.
http://www.aitc.sk.ca/saskschools/animals/skunk.html

feathers

Post by feathers »

Brive1987 wrote:Still sitting on tarmac in a plane with a "broken door mechanism".

I feel safe and relieved that someone will "fix" it shortly. In fact I'm waiting (and hoping) for this gentleman to turn up. What could go wrong?

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/imag ... CzFfh1yVMw
Hey you! That's not the door! It's an engine. Ennn-ginn.

feathers

Post by feathers »

katamari Damassi wrote:Wow. Just heard NPR's correspondent in Istanbul go out of her way to excuse Islamists for the police attack on a pride parade in Turkey. She made sure to tell us that there's homophobia in non-muslim countries and that there are plenty of non-religious people who are homophobic, and that a lot of homophobia in Turkey has to do with the countries patriarchal gender norms.
...which are codified in minuscule detail in the Quran.