The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
Really?

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by Really? »

Xenu wrote:Richard Carrier has completed his transformation into Andy Dick
Soon he will be living in a storage container.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Can someone shortcut me to the proper announcement of this?
He will be making a case on his own, elsewhere.
He was not kicked out. He voluntarily asked to be removed. I’ve sent him a complete backup copy of his blog already, he can recreate it all at the wordpress installation of his choice.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Well, am I shocked/surprised?

[youtube]lwWv0bWV0Ic[/youtube]

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Brive1987 wrote:Can someone shortcut me to the proper announcement of this?
He will be making a case on his own, elsewhere.
He was not kicked out. He voluntarily asked to be removed. I’ve sent him a complete backup copy of his blog already, he can recreate it all at the wordpress installation of his choice.
It sounds like a comment by Peezus.

Really?

Post by Really? »

http://archive.is/U5Z6l

Here Brive. You will enjoy.

Tapir

Post by Tapir »

Bhurzum wrote:Well, am I shocked/surprised?
It was only a couple of days ago I read something about Paris Jackson (his daughter) and how she was trying to get her shit together (self harming etc). Fuck knows what this is going to do to her.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Not everyone may need the lizard-thick skin that Bhurzum & his buddy helped each other develop, but yeah Service Dog I agree, resilience & hard work are key if having society functioning well is a priority. Sorta related, I muse about all the types of work in which more men than women are employed, & how few of those jobs (often very physical, difficulty, risky, and/or seen as unpleasant) seem to even be on the radar of the people who are vocal about achieving gender balance in society.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Tapir wrote:It was only a couple of days ago I read something about Paris Jackson (his daughter) and how she was trying to get her shit together (self harming etc). Fuck knows what this is going to do to her.
Ah, shit!

I can only hope she's got strong support from friends/family. Life has a habit of kicking people when they're already down... :(

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Really? wrote:http://archive.is/U5Z6l
Yup, the comments section is as official as it has been announced to date.
https://i.sli.mg/rAswYu.jpg

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

It's interesting to see the divergence of opinion between the SJWs and the non-SJWs as to what were the real transgressions of Carrier.
Both groups see him as having transgressed, but in different ways.

For non-SJWs the major issue seems to be the self-admitted pursuit of college students during speaking engagements.
This is not illegal but very unprofessional (remember, speaking at these events is essentially a major part of his job).

For SJWs, on the other hand, his crime seems to be harassment, which seems to amount to making passes at women who are not interested.
Or talking about (hetero) sexual stuff in the presence of women.
I didn't get the impression that he was ignoring the idea of consent, but Myers gave us a clue to that one when he said that consent was not enough. You need consent AND respect.
What 'respect' means in this context is not really defined but reading between the lines it is hard to avoid the conclusion that it amounts to the simple unspoken rule that a man must not make a pass at a woman unless she has given explicit permission beforehand.
And because this never happens in real life, it amounts to a situation where women have all the power in these situations.
In fact the 'consent' rule works against men. The old fashioned flirting/hook-up scenarios tended to work on ambiguities and reading body language. Asking someone out for coffee or dinner does not necessarily mean asking them for sex.
Unless you invoke a consent rule - in which case there is a direct implication that sex is the intended outcome.
Laci Green may say that asking for consent is sexy but we now have proof that asking for consent from a woman who isn't interested is not only not sexy, it's harassment.

You'd almost feel sorry for Carrier if it wasn't for the fact that he's a horrible little fucker who deserves all that is coming to him.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Thanks.

:lol: :lol: :dance: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

It's not a full-time job, but presumably provides some income:
http://secularactivism.org/?p=828
http://secularactivism.org/?p=832

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

deLurch wrote:
Really? wrote:http://archive.is/U5Z6l
Yup, the comments section is as official as it has been announced to date.
https://i.sli.mg/rAswYu.jpg
"SSA is also dealing with the issue of the power differential between speakers and students, which also muddies consent."

But this was hardly a secret to FTB.
Carrier had been vocal about his disagreement on this point on both his blog and the back-channel and had claimed that he had many relationships with students.

Why does it suddenly muddy consent now - years after Carrier had told them about it?
Why wouldn't it have muddied consent in 2014 or 2015?

And if it muddied consent then too, why didn't Myers say anything about it?

:think:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Now if Myers were to leave the crippled, utterly discredited FtB .......

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Brive1987 wrote:Now if Myers were to leave the crippled, utterly discredited FtB .......
Amusing maybe. But is kind of enjoying watching it wither and die while he still leads the pack.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Skep tickle wrote:It's not a full-time job, but presumably provides some income:

Is it just me, or is there something obnoxious about the "phd" at the end of his facebook URL? I have tons of respect for people who get doctorates in their field. But is the "phd" really necessary on his Facebook URL and his Twitter handle and everything else? Sam Harris, Shermer, Dawkins...they don't do the same thing, do they?
Ask Richard about his course by posting on his facebook wall at www.facebook.com/richard.carrier.phd

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Carriers user stats were respectable and consistent.

Looks like he has pulled the cork from the drain hole of the already sinking ship.

Oh the fucking irony.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Skep tickle wrote:Not everyone may need the lizard-thick skin that Bhurzum & his buddy helped each other develop <snip>
That "lizard-thick skin" has some weak spots. I still can't watch the "Leon" remake without getting something in my eye. When Leon says "This is for Matilda", I'm reduced to a sniveling wreck.

http://cdn4.gurl.com/wp-content/uploads ... Crying.gif

Don't tell anyone though or I'll be forced to cut you.

Sent from my alpha-male cave using pure testosterone

The Yeti

Post by The Yeti »

I really do hope Carrier restarts his blog soon elsewhere. His comment section was the most fun too troll on the entire internet.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Really? wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:It's not a full-time job, but presumably provides some income:

Is it just me, or is there something obnoxious about the "phd" at the end of his facebook URL? I have tons of respect for people who get doctorates in their field. But is the "phd" really necessary on his Facebook URL and his Twitter handle and everything else? Sam Harris, Shermer, Dawkins...they don't do the same thing, do they?
Ask Richard about his course by posting on his facebook wall at http://www.facebook.com/richard.carrier.phd
"Others named Richard Carrier"?

http://i.imgur.com/zs38zM7.png

:lol:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

The Yeti wrote:I really do hope Carrier restarts his blog soon elsewhere. His comment section was the most fun too troll on the entire internet.
Avicenna, Ophelia and Carrier could start a new micro network.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I'm a bit disappointed Heina's promised post featuring the demise of the factually correct (and yet utterly evil) flow diagram from the Pit is sloppy second to the main game.

On the other hand her railing will look pretty fucking stupid now that PZ has slammed he door on him.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Brive1987 wrote:I'm a bit disappointed Heina's promised post featuring the demise of the factually correct (and yet utterly evil) flow diagram from the Pit is sloppy second to the main game.

On the other hand her railing will look pretty fucking stupid now that PZ has slammed he door on him.
I have an inkling she'll provide excuses for the next year and a half, then shut up and pretend it never happened. Not that she has a history of doing this sort of thing of course, but it seems like something she might do.

Xenu

Post by Xenu »

Really? wrote:
Xenu wrote:Richard Carrier has completed his transformation into Andy Dick
Soon he will be living in a storage container.
[youtube]VFWzrTnQHik[/youtube]

PZ Myers is Jimmy Kimmel in this video, the security team is Skepticon's board.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

fuzzy wrote:Wendy's seems like a better fit.
Sticky Dicky could always work in a bakery.
debbie.jpg
(350.46 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
Dicky has particular skills that might apply.
cremepies.png
(341.95 KiB) Downloaded 263 times
:cdc:

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Bhurzum wrote: I'd take folk dancing (whilst being pelted with dog turds and bricks) over Greta Christina any day!
That was my favorite part of Bending, too!

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Steersman wrote: "nonsense"? But yea, the war ain't over yet, although it certainly seems we're past the end of the beginning - so to speak - as there is certainly some increasing levels of push-back:
So, what's the problem with that? Aside from the horrible click-bait title? It's a special night organized outside of the park's opening hours, and will give an opportunity for women who are usually imprisoned by their lunatic religion to have a bit of fun. Seriously, protesting this is fucking stupid.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Steersman wrote: "nonsense"? But yea, the war ain't over yet, although it certainly seems we're past the end of the beginning - so to speak - as there is certainly some increasing levels of push-back:
So, what's the problem with that? Aside from the horrible click-bait title? It's a special night organized outside of the park's opening hours, and will give an opportunity for women who are usually imprisoned by their lunatic religion to have a bit of fun. Seriously, protesting this is fucking stupid.
Will there be a "Western swimwear" day at water parks in Syria?

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Orlando terrorist's gay lover has come out of the woodwork.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/orlando-sho ... univision/
Obviously wearing a body suit & face mask.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Cnutella wrote:PZ is the Atheism/Skepticism's Nicolae Ceausescu.
Or Saeed al-Sahaf.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote:I have a feeling that his ego is not going to allow him to roll over and accept this.
Not only his ego ... simple, rational self-interest would also argue against rolling over and accepting this. If he were to accept it, what would he have left? He left his sugar-momma and he can't survive on e-begging or "teaching" an on-line course to the gullible. He has to double-down and fight. I'm just surprised that he hasn't started already.
Also his constant erection...will ha, not ha, let him roll over. Haha Ha?

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Brive1987 wrote:
The Yeti wrote:I really do hope Carrier restarts his blog soon elsewhere. His comment section was the most fun too troll on the entire internet.
Avicenna, Ophelia and Carrier could start a new micro network.
Random ejections from the Freethought Blogs Network?

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

After a day's worth of blogging, PZ's post on the demise of one of his prime bloggers for sexual harassment has a grand total of 110 comments. Remember the days when it would have been eight or twelve hundred?

PZ, time to throw in the towel. Nobody cares anymore, except you and your merry band of walking mental casualties. I personally will solemnly swear, I will throw down my sword* and take up my plow. Just give it up.

*My standard disclaimer about not being a death threat, of course, applies.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Dicky in 2009 lists his favorite Camp Quest activities:
a place godless kids can spend a week in the wild, learning stuff, having fun, gobbling early morning flapjacks, roasting strange things over a campfire, putting on silly skits, staying up all hours of the night playing Twister. Well, okay I made up the last bit (Cherry 2000 fans, huzzah)
Actually, Dicky ran a trivia game that he invented.
Author and historian Dr. Richard Carrier and his loyal sage David Fitzgerald will present History or Hogswallop!? .... an exciting team game that pits all your wits against the wildest claims in history. Can you figure out how to uncover the truth? Will your team win the prize? Find out, when you play History or Hogswallop!?

Dr. Carrier developed this game last year based on previous years at Camp Quest, when presenting challenging questions about ancient history led to a lot of fun for all.
Note that CQ claims Dicky volunteered in 2007 and 2009 only.

And for anyone into Statement Analysis :
(... but no, they won't kidnap your kids and force them to ... --I know, I know, you were hoping)
http://richardcarrier.blogspot.com/2009 ... -west.html

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Skep tickle wrote:Not everyone may need the lizard-thick skin that Bhurzum & his buddy helped each other develop, but yeah Service Dog I agree, resilience & hard work are key if having society functioning well is a priority. Sorta related, I muse about all the types of work in which more men than women are employed, & how few of those jobs (often very physical, difficulty, risky, and/or seen as unpleasant) seem to even be on the radar of the people who are vocal about achieving gender balance in society.
No kidding. From the Vancouver Sun 'Men’s work' often comes with high risk

Where I live I would suppose that there is some awareness though. Men go into Forrestry related like logging, You can go fishing including fish farms, mining (gravel mainly), Outdoor Tourism related activities. There are really not too many indoor jobs available for men around here.

If you really want a decent paying indoor job one then you go to Vancouver. Also, a lot of men around here are away from home for months at a time. They live in camps set up in the middle of nowhere if forestry related.

Another good one is a fish farm. Which is also isolated in that you are not going to spend two hours communting to sitr because the operators want someone there all the time.

But indoor work can be unpleasant too. You really do not want to know how many times I have been ready to go home only for someone from support frantically get hold of me because there is an issue and I wind up working all night because we have to have the system up for the next morning.

Every couple of months I would get a call at 3:00 am too. For a system that needs to be up by 7:00. am and 1st level does not know what to do. Add in working holidays, like Christmas and so on it can play hell with your marriage.

IBM employed people who worked those brutal hours also. Like the time I wrote the new config for the mainframe at 2:00 am on a Sunday ... and it failed. So now I had a mainframe that could not IPL and had to call in an IBM SE because this system had to be up for the keypunch clerks across the border due to arrive at their office by 7:00 am...So someone had to get out of bed. Do you know IBM had a policy that an IBM SE must always wear a suit and tie when they go to a customer site?

Anyway, so the women who started doing those jobs (tech engineering/3rd level support) never lasted more than 2-3 years. Once they got married it was the beginning of the end. In 25 years I watched all my efforts to hire, train and mentor women go down the drain. The only woman who stuck it out became the head of networking. I also lost one who decided to do engineering for Ahmdal but all the rest left after getting married. If they stuck it out after that most left after their 1st child. None stayed after their 2nd.

That was pretty expensive for the firm. All that time & resources we expended in attracting women, then training them and gone ... wasted effort. We needed them to stay 5 years to break even.

And then to top it off, the rest of us had to pick up their work while we looked for a replacement which could take months. To be honest ... if I had to do it all over again I would not.

I would tell them. You want to get married and have babies? Forget Engineering. Go get a job in as a programmer instead. Does not pay as much, less prestige, but most of the time you get to work hours that are not crazy, and you get to have a life because you are not constantly studying technical documentation all the time.

This is what I would also say :

Go have your babies. When they get out of school, and you no longer want a social life then we can talk.

feathers

Post by feathers »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:I don't think of it as victory, maybe not even the endgame. FtB are in tatters, The Orbit is decaying but some of the so-called social justice tropes are fucking with academia down to the preschool level, and the media gets more baboonish by the day. It's like fighting a hydra, cut off one head and you've soon got more.
In the media, it's in part clickbait that keeps this afloat. Also remember that we often link to third-rate 'Editor-sanctified' personal blogs rather than editorials. Reading the comments on those (try the Guardian) quickly shows nobody buys that shit.

Academia is potentially more dangerous, because an academic title still grants people some implicit authority regardless of the study they graduated in. They end up in all sorts of committees, advisory boards etc. where they can do a lot of damage. This is even more pronounced because students from pothead studies like sociology, politicology, gender studies and a range of similar fantasy studies seem to be far more politically active than students from, say, physics and chemistry.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

[youtube]BR542tQhXJo[/youtube]

jimmyfromchicago

Post by jimmyfromchicago »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
His Twitter description says
Gen. Robert E. Lee wrote:America Will Never Regain International Respect & Prominence With Muslim Obama In Office
Not exactly the kind of pushback I'm looking for.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Dicky explains his move from CA (Stockton, then Richmond, btw) to Columbus, OH:
maximun_concenration.png
(50.79 KiB) Downloaded 222 times
http://freethoughtblogs.com/carrier/arc ... t-1059487a

johnself

Post by johnself »

I will break rules and Dox Mr. Yeti:
https://snag.gy/Amx08p.jpg
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

feathers

Post by feathers »

Cnutella wrote:I agree to some extent with those of you who say that atheism's relevance was fading anyway. This may be a given in the postwar western world - it happened in the UK and in many European countries. It look the USA a bit longer because of entrenched protestantism and (I suspect, the association of atheism with communism during the Cold War). But one advantage of the Internet generation of postmodern millennials is that it seems to be happening a lot faster. I will be interested to see where we are in 10-20 years when climate change is really starting to bite. Maybe everyone will get religion again.
Right now, openly stating you're atheist- even when you avoid the A-word and just signal you don't believe in God- is political suicide in the USA. I'd say you have still some way to go.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Shatterface wrote:But what are you supposed to do if someone hands you a live grenade?
Why, hand it over to PZ Myers of Morris, MN.

^this is not a death threat^

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Remember 9'days ago, 1 day before it all went bang ? .......

Life was simpler then when simple denials were in order.

Brive1987

Re: The Refuge of the Toad

Post by Brive1987 »

johnself wrote:I will break rules and Dox Mr. Yeti:

Hahah! Catch it in context - last post.

http://archive.is/LlSc1

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Perfect sermon Yeti :clap: :clap:

johnself

Post by johnself »

HunnyBunny wrote:
Perfect sermon Yeti :clap: :clap:
The department of correct thinking has fortunately quickly sprung to life and protected the FTB members from wrongthink

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

feathers wrote:Academia is potentially more dangerous, because an academic title still grants people some implicit authority regardless of the study they graduated in. They end up in all sorts of committees, advisory boards etc. where they can do a lot of damage. This is even more pronounced because students from pothead studies like sociology, politicology, gender studies and a range of similar fantasy studies seem to be far more politically active than students from, say, physics and chemistry.
"Fantasy studies." :D :clap:

Thanks. That filled in some gaps in my speculations about what's happening.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

VickyCaramel wrote: (snip)
Somebody here said he is probably "on the spectrum" of personality disorders, and I was thinking about this on my drive home because the word "Narcissistic" is often bandied about when I think most of these SJWs are usually histrionic. I have a feeling that his ego is not going to allow him to roll over and accept this. It is one thing for him to admit making mistakes when he was in control of the situation, but if he is not in control I think he isn't going to be able to bare it. He doesn't seem to like being wrong.
(snip)
'On the spectrum' is code for autism and it's related disorders, not for personality disorders which are best regarded as the Grimpen Mire of the DSM. It's quite possibly accurate in Carrier's case, with his single minded focus on an esoteric area of history which he can explain with mathematics. Awkward dancing in an ineptly popped collar T-shirt. Reported inability to understand social cues, inappropriately sexualised conversation, failure to know when it isn't appreciated. Then the economic evidence of a bright man with an advanced degree who scrapes by on $15000 a year: there has to be a reason and it could fit into the pattern of an autistic spectrum disorder.
There's an interesting history to the story of Kanner and Asperger, and how the patients they saw made them see the problem quite differently. I'll recommend again the book Neurotribes for an overview that makes a good read even for lay people. One of the nuances that has been lost in DSM VI is the diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome, which has been rolled into autism. ICD-10 keeps it as a separate diagnosis. It was argued for a long time that there was no difference between Aperger's and high functioning autism, but there was one useful clue that makes a huge difference to the lives the individuals lead. Roughly put, HFA folk don't have friends and don't care, whereas Asperger's folk don't have friends and desperately persist in trying to make them (generally failing to succeed).
So is Carrier an Aspie? I don't know, but it seems possible. Frankly, while I dislike a preachy holier-than-thou person, as he has shown himself to be, the possibility does make me feel a little sympathy for him. I'm not absolving him of blame, social rules can be spelled out to ASD people and they can choose to follow them just as easily as a typpie can. If he is on the spectrum, we don't know if he knows it, or whether he was raised in a way to maximise his chance of relatively normal interactions. I'll admit, having a 26 year old high-functioning autist for a son makes me aware that there can be another side to the story. So the pleasurable schadenfreude for this situation is for me, not so much about enjoying Carrier's downfall, but more about the egg on the face of the social justice infiltrators who have proven themselves once again to have all the human failings that the rest of us enjoy.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Side note on Richard Carrier's self reported $15k/year income. I think we have noticed that Richard will lie or tell half-truths when he really needs to, or thinks he can get away with it. The motivation for claiming $15k/year may come from his efforts to elicit sympathy and higher contributions when he begs for money. It may have started out as $15k/year when he was married and he didn't really have to put much effort into it.

But I have trouble believing that is still the case.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

johnself wrote: The department of correct thinking has fortunately quickly sprung to life and protected the FTB members from wrongthink
I think PZ is experimenting with the Dyna-Ban-O-Matic. Either that or he's commissioned aides in each time zone to keep watch in his thread. I'm not sure which is more pathetic.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

screwtape wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote: (snip)
Somebody here said he is probably "on the spectrum" of personality disorders, and I was thinking about this on my drive home because the word "Narcissistic" is often bandied about when I think most of these SJWs are usually histrionic. I have a feeling that his ego is not going to allow him to roll over and accept this. It is one thing for him to admit making mistakes when he was in control of the situation, but if he is not in control I think he isn't going to be able to bare it. He doesn't seem to like being wrong.
(snip)
'On the spectrum' is code for autism and it's related disorders, not for personality disorders which are best regarded as the Grimpen Mire of the DSM. It's quite possibly accurate in Carrier's case, with his single minded focus on an esoteric area of history which he can explain with mathematics. Awkward dancing in an ineptly popped collar T-shirt. Reported inability to understand social cues, inappropriately sexualised conversation, failure to know when it isn't appreciated. Then the economic evidence of a bright man with an advanced degree who scrapes by on $15000 a year: there has to be a reason and it could fit into the pattern of an autistic spectrum disorder.
There's an interesting history to the story of Kanner and Asperger, and how the patients they saw made them see the problem quite differently. I'll recommend again the book Neurotribes for an overview that makes a good read even for lay people. One of the nuances that has been lost in DSM VI is the diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome, which has been rolled into autism. ICD-10 keeps it as a separate diagnosis. It was argued for a long time that there was no difference between Aperger's and high functioning autism, but there was one useful clue that makes a huge difference to the lives the individuals lead. Roughly put, HFA folk don't have friends and don't care, whereas Asperger's folk don't have friends and desperately persist in trying to make them (generally failing to succeed).
So is Carrier an Aspie? I don't know, but it seems possible. Frankly, while I dislike a preachy holier-than-thou person, as he has shown himself to be, the possibility does make me feel a little sympathy for him. I'm not absolving him of blame, social rules can be spelled out to ASD people and they can choose to follow them just as easily as a typpie can. If he is on the spectrum, we don't know if he knows it, or whether he was raised in a way to maximise his chance of relatively normal interactions. I'll admit, having a 26 year old high-functioning autist for a son makes me aware that there can be another side to the story. So the pleasurable schadenfreude for this situation is for me, not so much about enjoying Carrier's downfall, but more about the egg on the face of the social justice infiltrators who have proven themselves once again to have all the human failings that the rest of us enjoy.
Having worked with quite a few on the Aspergers end of the spectrum, it was also my thought that given his social ineptitude one could be forgiven for entertaining the possibility. Although I do also appreciate none of us are perfect, there is a normal range of behaviours that, imho, he falls outside of on a number of fronts.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

deLurch wrote:Side note on Richard Carrier's self reported $15k/year income. I think we have noticed that Richard will lie or tell half-truths when he really needs to, or thinks he can get away with it. The motivation for claiming $15k/year may come from his efforts to elicit sympathy and higher contributions when he begs for money. It may have started out as $15k/year when he was married and he didn't really have to put much effort into it.

If I were to guess (and I am) I think he will go the Ophelia route and start a Patreon account to give himself a little secure monthly income. The question is whether he's fucked himself with any type of fanbase he has. There may be people out there willing to give him monthly income (his girlfriends?). The one major error I think Carrier will kick himself for is sticking around at FtB. He should have moved out a year ago. That would have neutralized a major part of the threat. Instead he chose to remain in the belly of the beast. Major mistake.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

feathers wrote:Academia is potentially more dangerous, because an academic title still grants people some implicit authority regardless of the study they graduated in. They end up in all sorts of committees, advisory boards etc. where they can do a lot of damage. This is even more pronounced because students from pothead studies like sociology, politicology, gender studies and a range of similar fantasy studies seem to be far more politically active than students from, say, physics and chemistry.
I see some striking parallels between the role of academics in some societies in subjugating the masses, and the role of the clergy in some other societies past and present. The rulers and the clergy compete with each other for power and resources, the rulers more by force, and the clergy more through the influence of the mythology that they promote but don't really believe themselves, but at the same time they play complementary roles in subjugating the rest of the population for their plundering and pillaging purposes.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Hunt wrote:
deLurch wrote:Side note on Richard Carrier's self reported $15k/year income. I think we have noticed that Richard will lie or tell half-truths when he really needs to, or thinks he can get away with it. The motivation for claiming $15k/year may come from his efforts to elicit sympathy and higher contributions when he begs for money. It may have started out as $15k/year when he was married and he didn't really have to put much effort into it.

If I were to guess (and I am) I think he will go the Ophelia route and start a Patreon account to give himself a little secure monthly income. The question is whether he's fucked himself with any type of fanbase he has. There may be people out there willing to give him monthly income (his girlfriends?). The one major error I think Carrier will kick himself for is sticking around at FtB. He should have moved out a year ago. That would have neutralized a major part of the threat. Instead he chose to remain in the belly of the beast. Major mistake.
Sticky Dicky already has a patreon account.

https://www.patreon.com/DrRichardCarrier?ty=h

Give till it hurts, motherfuckers!

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

I'd second screwtape's recommendation of Neurotribes but I'm not sure I'd agree that the difference between HFA and Aspergers is about wanting friendship.

It's more about delayed language development in childhood for HFAs, plus an objection to being labelled 'autistic'.

I'm in the UK so we still have a seperate diagnosis (ICD10) but I'm happy with 'ASD' - though nobody speaks for the whole Aspie Pit.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

screwtape wrote:'On the spectrum' is code for autism and it's related disorders, not for personality disorders which are best regarded as the Grimpen Mire of the DSM. It's quite possibly accurate in Carrier's case, with his single minded focus on an esoteric area of history which he can explain with mathematics. Awkward dancing in an ineptly popped collar T-shirt. Reported inability to understand social cues, inappropriately sexualised conversation, failure to know when it isn't appreciated. Then the economic evidence of a bright man with an advanced degree who scrapes by on $15000 a year: there has to be a reason and it could fit into the pattern of an autistic spectrum disorder.

Roughly put, HFA folk don't have friends and don't care, whereas Asperger's folk don't have friends and desperately persist in trying to make them (generally failing to succeed).
So is Carrier an Aspie? I don't know, but it seems possible. Frankly, while I dislike a preachy holier-than-thou person, as he has shown himself to be, the possibility does make me feel a little sympathy for him. ...
Wow. That looks plausible to me, and I can join you in feeling some sympathy for him. In fact I already was having some fleeting moments of sympathy for him, from my own speculations about his possible disabilities.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Alright - who let Sargon know about this.

Live now

[youtube]88e6oouiKeQ[/youtube]

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

MarcusAu wrote:Alright - who let Sargon know about this.

Live now

[youtube]88e6oouiKeQ[/youtube]
Meh. No PM no listen.