The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
Snapfingers

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by Snapfingers »

Service Dog wrote:
Snapfingers wrote:
Service Dog wrote:
No. My obesity analogy was set-up for comparing butthurt remain naysayers to Fat Acceptance activists. Unhealthy is unhealthy.
Your analogy was retarded. Your analysis was flawed. go back to reporting on dog-walking feminists instead of throwing insults at people who actually understand the EU.
That attitude is gonna keep my side winning, on every front. My betters need to remember assholes like me hold veto power over their schemes. We can do this they easy way, or the hard way. Your pick.
Which attitude? Which sides? Stupid and ignorant outsiders throwing insults or knowledgable people trying to reason? Your "side" will probably win. Have fun with President Trump, and enjoy your victory.

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

Eskarina wrote:
Service Dog wrote:
Aneris wrote:Pound goes up:
Brexiter: See! See! It shows how the EU was holding us back!
Brextier: A-ha! After first panic, its calming down and we're winning, there you have it.

Reality update: nope.

Pound goes down:
Brexiter: Those grapes are sour, don't want them anyway.
Brexiter: Actually things going down really means things go up.
Brexiter: Cannot be decided now anyway!

Stock Market:
Same as above.
You ooze with too much disdain for the dumbest things a brexiter might argue/ in lieu of contending with brexit's strongest points. I find it easy to cast you in the role of an EU that was deaf to the grievences of britain's brexit-class. Thus they were wise to break-up with you, rather than acquiesce to your authority.
But what are brexit's strongest points? And who makes up the "brexit-class"? Boris "The Eton-mess" Johnson or poor Fred from Colne?

And thankyouverymuch for deciding on the issue, anyway. No more need for discussion, f-f-f-f-f-ffffolks. Service Dog decided the matter.
The result upset everyone I despise in the UK, I will take an economic hit just to watch the salt flow.

Git

Post by Git »

Ah yes. Germans lecturing Britons.

Thats going to go down well.

Not.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

feathers wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:Speaking of ISIS, and in the same breath dumb moves, for some reason a whole bunch of them (reports are all over the map 200-400-600) cars filled with ISIS fighters (and some with their families) retreating from Fallujah got blown to bits from the air. By US and "Iraq" air forces.
Retreating? Where to? Riyadh?
This is a good question.

War is Boring suggest northwesterly here Iraqis and Americans Butted Heads Over the ISIS ‘Convoy Massacre’

North West makes sense if you look at this map by Agathocle deSyracuse (I follow him on Twatter) and here is another http://isis.liveuamap.com/ .

Not a journey I would like to make.
AndrewV69 wrote: For some reason they seemed to have thought that they had a pass. Why would they think that?
feathers wrote: Objection, y'r honour. Speculation.
True. Not withdrawing the question though. Seriously, everyone knows, especially ISIS, that if you form a convoy it will be attacked from the air. Logically they should have scattered, not traveled together, certainly not formed a convoy, especially one involving hundreds of vehicles.

Is the answer stupidity? Or were they depending on not being attacked by the US because there were families in the convoy? No such consideration will be given by any Iraq Air Force though.

(I suppose I should mention that It is a given that Daesh and their women and children can not expect any quarter from the Shia at this point. That is off the table. There will be massacres.)

*shrug*

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

DaveDodo007 wrote: The result upset everyone I despise in the UK, I will take an economic hit just to watch the salt flow.
There are quite a few who seem to think the decision will be reversed. :doh:

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Cnutella wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote: Look, if you want to say that the US have underestimated Putin's resourcefulness into avoiding an open war, then I agree with you. If you're saying that Russia can't help itself to invade, and was "baited" into war, then you can justify everything with "baiting", even the actions of Islamic State, by saying that they were "baited".
Dumb moves are dumb. Perhaps I should not have said baited but it sure looks like it to me. The situation with ISIS is complicated. It looks as if they are getting support from one branch of the US, directly or indirectly ... as long as they are in Syria but not in Iraq.

Speaking of ISIS, and in the same breath dumb moves, for some reason a whole bunch of them (reports are all over the map 200-400-600) cars filled with ISIS fighters (and some with their families) retreating from Fallujah got blown to bits from the air. By US and "Iraq" air forces.

For some reason they seemed to have thought that they had a pass. Why would they think that?

Anyway, sun is up. Way past my bed time. Gnight all.
IDK, If surrendering is not an option and you've got to beat a tactical retreat across a desert, you don't have a lot of options when it comes to transportation. At least in a car, you can die with the AC on.
Surrender is not a viable option for Daesh. But you know this already based on your IDK?

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

The Yeti wrote:The rhetorical assassin Brony has posted a Carrier length post where he attempts to psychoanalyze a troll commenter. The length of it alone is quite comical, but skimreading it I noticed a part where he tries to analyze why trolls like to mention Nerd of Redhead. The funniest part is at the end though, where he gives us this gem:
Brony the stuffed horse fucker wrote: (9) I have a long term goal of being able to identify rapists and abusers on the internet by the patterns contained in their text. I do not yet have that level of skill, but it’s become useful to point out when a person’s positions make life easier for rapists and abusers. Much useful rhetoric can be added to that substance.
Now that Carrier is restricting comments I think I have found a new place to troll.
Archive link:
http://archive.is/3iZov
Holy fucking shit, dude. I see you guys make fun of Brony all the time but have never read anything of his. I didn't make it more than a couple hundred words before wigging out. When I see something odd I tend to first question my own sanity, rather than the sanity of the world. This sentence just had too many WTF moments.
The reason I see things this way is that brain science has to be able to explain the phenomena of criticism at it’s most basic level and the phenomena that I believe most closely compares to it is the dominance display, and that seems to be correlated to what testosterone does on a computational level in both male and female people
This is an explanation of why he believes literally any time you correct anybody it is an "attack".

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Snapfingers wrote:
Service Dog wrote:
No. My obesity analogy was set-up for comparing butthurt remain naysayers to Fat Acceptance activists. Unhealthy is unhealthy.
Your analogy was retarded. Your analysis was flawed. go back to reporting on dog-walking feminists instead of throwing insults at people who actually understand the EU.
It is, maybe, somewhat moot just how obese the UK economy really is, and whether there's any muscle and bone underneath the fat or not - so to speak. But the facts suggest both some "problematic" levels of fat, as well as some not inconsiderable amounts of muscle & bone:
The United Kingdom has the fifth-largest national economy (and second-largest in EU) measured by nominal GDP and ninth-largest in the world (and second-largest in the EU)[23] measured by purchasing power parity (PPP), comprising 4% of world GDP. The UK has been the fastest growing economy in the G7 for four consecutive years with 2.1% year on year growth in Q1 2016. ....

The service sector dominates the UK economy, contributing around 78% of GDP; the financial services industry is particularly important and London is the world's largest financial centre.[27] The British aerospace industry is the second- or third-largest national aerospace industry depending on the method of measurement.[28][29] The pharmaceutical industry plays an important role in the economy and the UK has the third-highest share of global pharmaceutical R&D.[30][31] The automotive industry is also a major employer and exporter. The British economy is boosted by North Sea oil and gas production; its reserves were valued at an estimated £120 billion in 2011. ....
"Some chicken! Some neck!"

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

Snapfingers wrote:
Service Dog wrote:
Snapfingers wrote:
That attitude is gonna keep my side winning, on every front. My betters need to remember assholes like me hold veto power over their schemes. We can do this they easy way, or the hard way. Your pick.
Which attitude? Which sides? Stupid and ignorant outsiders throwing insults or knowledgable people trying to reason? Your "side" will probably win. Have fun with President Trump, and enjoy your victory.
See my avatar.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Steersman wrote:
d4m10n wrote:It's a good list, Kirbmarc, but it only includes potentially rational reasons to vote one way or another.
That some people have less than rational reasons for voting one way or the other is no justification for insisting that all should be tarred with the same brush.
Of course not. It's just that irrational bigotry is may be among the motivations of those who fear the EU's open borders policy.

Dave

Post by Dave »

DaveDodo007 wrote: See my avatar.
I think Trump would be a disaster as President, but I love your avatar.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

John D wrote: Yeah... well... and gay used to just mean happy. Words end up with different meaning over time as they are used as a label. I think that an allegiant lifestyle is one of serial monogomy where a person ends an existing sexual relationship before starting another. My word choice... my definition.... haha.
did someone say ... cereal monogamy?
https://timedotcom.files.wordpress.com/ ... eaties.jpg

Tapir

Post by Tapir »

Eskarina wrote:
This is the secret Swiss army knife in question:

http://i.imgur.com/TSg0idq.jpg
Is this Phil's skeleton?

Also, that feminist deck thing has gone tits up. She managed to scam the vain fools for 30k out of them so it's all good.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

fuzzy wrote:
John D wrote: Yeah... well... and gay used to just mean happy. Words end up with different meaning over time as they are used as a label. I think that an allegiant lifestyle is one of serial monogomy where a person ends an existing sexual relationship before starting another. My word choice... my definition.... haha.
did someone say ... cereal monogamy?
[.img]https://timedotcom.files.wordpress.com/ ... eaties.jpg[/img]
:lol: :clap:

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

Jesus fucking Christ. What is happening on the pit? It is like freedom, liberty and independence is a 'bad thing' well news for you motherfuckers we conservatives/republicans are back and this time we are pissed. Both literally and figuratively in my case. :dance:

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

d4m10n wrote:
Steersman wrote:
d4m10n wrote:It's a good list, Kirbmarc, but it only includes potentially rational reasons to vote one way or another.
That some people have less than rational reasons for voting one way or the other is no justification for insisting that all should be tarred with the same brush.
Of course not. It's just that irrational bigotry is may be among the motivations of those who fear the EU's open borders policy.
That's a crock of shit, unless Notung is working with the standard SJW "only whites can be racists" redefinition of the word.

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Cnutella wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
Dumb moves are dumb. Perhaps I should not have said baited but it sure looks like it to me. The situation with ISIS is complicated. It looks as if they are getting support from one branch of the US, directly or indirectly ... as long as they are in Syria but not in Iraq.

Speaking of ISIS, and in the same breath dumb moves, for some reason a whole bunch of them (reports are all over the map 200-400-600) cars filled with ISIS fighters (and some with their families) retreating from Fallujah got blown to bits from the air. By US and "Iraq" air forces.

For some reason they seemed to have thought that they had a pass. Why would they think that?

Anyway, sun is up. Way past my bed time. Gnight all.
IDK, If surrendering is not an option and you've got to beat a tactical retreat across a desert, you don't have a lot of options when it comes to transportation. At least in a car, you can die with the AC on.
Surrender is not a viable option for Daesh. But you know this already based on your IDK?
I did - think of it as a general observation, although it sounds like morale has sagged enough that the rank and file are now refusing to follow orders because they see their position as hopeless. Too bad for them that ideology and cruelty is an unbridgeable gap preventing them from fading quietly into general population, as Mao would have recommended. Al Qaeda in Iraq made the same problem for themselves, and Icthink they had a better reception, initially.

I imagine that the fear of what might happen in the hands of vengeful Iraqi security forces prevents any thoughts of surrender.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

d4m10n wrote:
Steersman wrote:

[.tweet][/tweet]
Fine. But does that nullify the argument for Brexit or not? Yes or no. ;-)
d4m10n wrote:
Rather an untenuous claim as I seem to recollect seeing some rather obnoxious tweets from Remainers that looked rather racist and bigoted, not to say fascist.

Git

Post by Git »

Re the "Not all Brexiters are racist" sanctimonious claptrap, which was invented by that sanctimonious cunt himself, Billy Bragg (who is so much in love with the "diversity" that he advocates that he now lives in a gated mansion in 98‰-honky Dorset), it should really be a logical fallacy.

Let's reverse-engineer it to make it more applicable:

"Not all Billy Bragg fans are twats.
But all twats are Billy Bragg fans".

Git

Post by Git »

FB_IMG_1466631317025.jpg
(59.64 KiB) Downloaded 318 times

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

Dave wrote:
Worse than Clinton or Sanders? If you had another choice then you may have a point.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

jimhabegger wrote:Much more than ever before, I'm seeing the attitudes and behaviors that people posting here are protesting against, as people advancing their careers by demonizing white men. Even their feuding among themselves revolves all around demonizing white men.

I think that demonizing white men is just as wrong as demonizing any other group or category of people, and that it damages not only white men and boys, but all people and all of society.

It just now occurred to me to respond to that the same ways that I've been wanting to respond to anti-Muslim prejudices: by helping to diversify people's images of white men; and by looking for opportunities to show kindness and to white men and boys, and to recognize and appreciate their value, and the value of masculine qualities and capacities. That gives me an even better appreciation of what I've seen happening here, than I already had. Now that I think of it, it has helped diversify my own images of white men, which is a good start if I want to help diversify other people's images of them

Along with helping to spread the best kinds of love and knowledge far and wide, and helping to rebuild civilization from the ground up.
Who, apart from Steersman, needs their view of Muslims "diversified"? You do get that Islam is a religion, or more accurately a system of governance and set of instructions for the forced conversion or subjugation/murder of non-believers and Muslims are just people? It is you who seems to confuse Islam and Muslims. How is knowing that Abdul down the road is a peaceable dude going to erase the self-evident fact that Islam has a 1500 year history of murdering non believers by the hundreds of millions and that the spread of Islam is ongoing by cultural, political and violent means. Islamic scriptures are predominantly about how to spread the religion and what to do with unbelievers. This is reality and there is every indication that the West is under cultural attack. It isn't even necessary for your average Muslim to be conscious of what is going on for the process to be successful as it is just what the religion itself is designed to do.

Where is the parallel between a political ideology and whiteness/maleness? Where are the accusations that being born into a Muslim society renders one unfit to have an opinion and automatically privileged? Where are the attempts to silence Muslims?

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Steersman wrote:
d4m10n wrote:
Steersman wrote: That some people have less than rational reasons for voting one way or the other is no justification for insisting that all should be tarred with the same brush.
Of course not. I was merely pointing out that Kirbmarc's list was missing a few things that really do drive voter behaviour.

Some of the pro-Brexit rationalizations have already fallen apart on their own, most notably the one on the side of the tour bus.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06 ... a-mistake/

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

Git wrote:
FB_IMG_1466631317025.jpg
Be fair now if the lefty/liberals can't cry racism/sexism then they have no argument as they have been intellectually bankrupt for ages.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Re: Sinking island. Europeans on a boat.

Aneris wrote:
Brexiter wrote:I know, some of you must be thinking the day has come, we're all going down, etcetera etcetera. But let's get away from the fantasy and look at the facts.
[youtube]qJh6EQ5gv7g[/youtube]

The Pound is now down to 1.30 USD.
Yes, and? What else did you expect? Markets are not rational in the short term. Any instability causes the markets to react. The Pound is not down because anybody knows what is going to happen, it is down because of uncertainty.

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

Which way did the Muslim vote go on brexit? Islam has an indisputably racist attitude toward Jews.

Dave

Post by Dave »

DaveDodo007 wrote:
Dave wrote:
Worse than Clinton or Sanders? If you had another choice then you may have a point.
Yes, worse than Clinton. Shes not who I would want, but I dont think she will be a disaster, just sucky.

If current polls hold up and my state is an easy win for Clinton, Ill probably write in "Hulk Hogan" or something. But I will hold my nose and vote for Clinton if I need to in order to keep Trump out.

Sanders never had a chance.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Whether you are "remain" or "brexit", the outpouring of salt has been marvellous.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Snapfingers wrote: Which sides? Stupid and ignorant outsiders throwing insults or knowledgable people trying to reason?
Stupid and ignorant outsiders? Haw! Behold the xenophobia of Remain!

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

d4m10n wrote:
Of course not. I was merely pointing out that Kirbmarc's list was missing a few things that really do drive voter behaviour.

Some of the pro-Brexit rationalizations have already fallen apart on their own, most notably the one on the side of the tour bus.

If you had seen the propaganda from both sides it was despicable as I have already pointed out here. We had everything from WW3 to Syria joining the EU. If anybody didn't vote for their own reasons then they were gullible morons and show me a democracy that doesn't give gullible morons the vote.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

AndrewV69 wrote:
feathers wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:Speaking of ISIS, and in the same breath dumb moves, for some reason a whole bunch of them (reports are all over the map 200-400-600) cars filled with ISIS fighters (and some with their families) retreating from Fallujah got blown to bits from the air. By US and "Iraq" air forces.
Retreating? Where to? Riyadh?
This is a good question.

War is Boring suggest northwesterly here Iraqis and Americans Butted Heads Over the ISIS ‘Convoy Massacre’

North West makes sense if you look at this map by Agathocle deSyracuse (I follow him on Twatter) and here is another http://isis.liveuamap.com/ .

Not a journey I would like to make.
AndrewV69 wrote: For some reason they seemed to have thought that they had a pass. Why would they think that?
feathers wrote: Objection, y'r honour. Speculation.
True. Not withdrawing the question though. Seriously, everyone knows, especially ISIS, that if you form a convoy it will be attacked from the air. Logically they should have scattered, not traveled together, certainly not formed a convoy, especially one involving hundreds of vehicles.

Is the answer stupidity? Or were they depending on not being attacked by the US because there were families in the convoy? No such consideration will be given by any Iraq Air Force though.

(I suppose I should mention that It is a given that Daesh and their women and children can not expect any quarter from the Shia at this point. That is off the table. There will be massacres.)

*shrug*
Isn't that the road one of the roads that Avicenna lied about taking?

ThreeFlangedJavis

Aneris wrote:Pound goes up:
Brexiter: See! See! It shows how the EU was holding us back!
Brextier: A-ha! After first panic, its calming down and we're winning, there you have it.

Reality update: nope.

Pound goes down:
Brexiter: Those grapes are sour, don't want them anyway.
Brexiter: Actually things going down really means things go up.
Brexiter: Cannot be decided now anyway!
Karmakin wrote:
Sunder wrote:I remember when Krugman would mock conservatives for obsessing over a falling dollar. Because it literally came down to thinking "weakness is bad ergo a 'weak' currency is always bad."
A weak pound tends to help the sort of industrial/manufacturing class that were a large part of the Brexit vote to begin with.
Stock Market:
Same as above.
What point are you trying to make? Perhaps the Brexiters who act defensively as you describe (assuming they exist in any numbers) wouldn't feel the need to do so if some people weren't so invested in seizing on any tenuous premature indication that they made the wrong choice.

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

Service Dog wrote:
Snapfingers wrote: Which sides? Stupid and ignorant outsiders throwing insults or knowledgable people trying to reason?
Stupid and ignorant outsiders? Haw! Behold the xenophobia of Remain!
The stupid working class and their right to vote on issues which affect them. Down with this sort of thing.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Easy J wrote:Which way did the Muslim vote go on brexit? Islam has an indisputably racist attitude toward Jews.
According to the Lord Ashcroft polls, 70% of UK muslims voted to remain. Curiously, UK Sikhs and Jews were largely in favour of leaving, at 52% and 54% respectively. The Jewish vote for leave actually eclipsed that of the white vote a little, which was 53%. Chance that this statistic might make the Soros conspiracists reconsider their positions: 0% :D

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 01676.html

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Easy J wrote:Which way did the Muslim vote go on brexit? Islam has an indisputably racist attitude toward Jews.
The source may be somewhat questionable, or at least their phrasing, but fact seems incontrovertible - and "problematic":
EXCLUSIVE: Notorious Anjem Choudary Backs ‘Remain’ – Says EU Courts Are Softer On His Islamist Friends

British hate preacher Anjem Choudary – who is currently facing charges of supporting Islamic State – has told Breitbart London that he thinks the United Kingdom should stay in the European Union (EU).
“If you want my view on it, I think Britain will be worse off,” Mr. Choudary (pictured above) told Breitbart London.

“I think that [leaving the EU] is something that is probably not in our advantage from a Muslim perspective,” he added. ....
Surprised he's even in the country if not behind bars - should be dropped in the middle of the Sahara desert, parachute optional depending on the state of the Exchequer.

Whole fucking lot of them should be deported; nuking Mecca - from orbit, just to be sure - not without its justifications.

Cnutella

Re: The Refuge of the Toad

Post by Cnutella »

Lsuoma wrote: Isn't that the road one of the roads that Avicenna lied about taking?
Maybe they weren't attacked by airstrikes but instead were set upon by a rogue T-Rex?

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

So I was curious about whether there were any reports about ISIS fighters surrendering to Iraqi forces (there are a lot about them surrendering to the Kurds). I found a couple of examples, and also this:
ISIL Boils 7 Militants for Desertion

TEHRAN (FNA)- The ISIL terrorist group has resorted to new barbaric methods for executing its own militants who escape from the battlefield, and threw 7 of its militants into boiling water for deserting the terrorist group.
"The ISIL executed seven of its militants who had fled Sharqat battlefield in Salahuddin province by putting them in containers with boiling water," the Arabic-language media quoted a local source Mosul city as saying on Monday.

He noted that the seven ISIL militants were thrown into a big boiling water pot after their hands and legs were tied up tightly.

In mid-June, the ISIL terrorist group executed 19 of its elements on charges of deserting the battlefield in al-Shuhada region.

"The ISIL terrorists executed 19 of its elements who fled from the latest battles against the security forces in the neighborhoods of al-Shuhada and al-Nassaf in Central Fallujah,” an unnamed informed source in Iraq’s Western city of Fallujah said.

“This came after the issuance of death sentence against them by ISIL court ,”

The source also explained that the execution was carried out by firing a bullet into the convicts’ head.
http://en.farsnews.com/newstext.aspx?nn=13950414001184

Holy shit.

If it was any other group, I'd be suspicious of this story as propaganda but ISIS have long since shown themselves capable of such actions.

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

Tigzy wrote:
According to the Lord Ashcroft polls, 70% of UK muslims voted to remain. Curiously, UK Sikhs and Jews were largely in favour of leaving, at 52% and 54% respectively. The Jewish vote for leave actually eclipsed that of the white vote a little, which was 53%. Chance that this statistic might make the Soros conspiracists reconsider their positions: 0% :D

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 01676.html
So it seems likely that the majority of the Genocide The Jews lobby voted to remain, Notung's dumbfuckery notwithstanding.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Billie from Ockham wrote:Oh, man. We aren't going to have a "meaning of the 2nd Amendment" discussion, are we? That's a serious can of worms. In any event, it sounds like you've come across the idea that the 2nd Amendment was a guarantee that the public would never be out-gunned by the gov't, such that even a fully-functioning tank or jet fighter should be legal these days. This was close to the way it was as recent as the 1930s.

I'm actually quite sympathetic to that reading of the intent of the 2nd Amendment. I'm not in favor of that being the law in the US, but I can see the point of those arguing this. I will definitely say that I'm sick of hearing about hunting in any discussion of this.
I don't think there can be any discussion about the meaning. It very explicitly affirms an existing right. My view is that surrendering that right would be a big mistake. Guns are dangerous and that is the point. The (possible) saving of a few lives needs to be balanced against the symbolic acceptance of subjugation to the government. Obviously nations function because citizens willingly subjugate themselves, but willingness is the key. As an observer, I get the impression that USAians are very conscious that their obedience to authority is conditional on authority not exceeding it's constitutional rights. Without some means of holding authority to account even the illusion of balance of power disappears.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

d4m10n wrote:
Steersman wrote:
d4m10n wrote: <snip>

Ok, fair enough. Though it kind of looked like you - and Notung - were suggesting that that should carry more weight than seems justified.
d4m10n wrote:Some of the pro-Brexit rationalizations have already fallen apart on their own, most notably the one on the side of the tour bus.

Maybe. To some extent. Even if not all of that 350 million is available for the NHS, that doesn't mean that none of it is. And, as Farage pointed out, there is still, potentially, a large fund that might well be available for home-grown necessities, even if some of that fund might evaporate due to changes in what can be taxed to create it in the first place.

In addition, one might also suggest that many claims on the Remain side seem also to have "fallen apart on their own", e.g.:
11 Countries Gearing Up to Strike Trade Deals With Britain

By Lukas Mikelionis | 4:49 am, June 29, 2016

While Brexit doom-mongers have been focussing on the challenges of keeping access to the EU’s single market (16% of global trade – less once we’re gone), they forget there is a world elsewhere.

Green shoots are already emerging, as other countries start to realise the possibilities of free trade deals with a newly-liberated Britain, less than a week after the referendum. ....

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:I don't think there can be any discussion about the meaning. It very explicitly affirms an existing right. My view is that surrendering that right would be a big mistake. Guns are dangerous and that is the point. The (possible) saving of a few lives needs to be balanced against the symbolic acceptance of subjugation to the government. Obviously nations function because citizens willingly subjugate themselves, but willingness is the key. As an observer, I get the impression that USAians are very conscious that their obedience to authority is conditional on authority not exceeding it's constitutional rights. Without some means of holding authority to account even the illusion of balance of power disappears.
Isn't it interesting, then, how this view (that we're not alone in holding) is considered "fringe" or "anarchist" and has not done well at level of SCOTUS. Both the "liberals" and "conservatives" on the court seem to like the current half-assed middle-ground; no-one seems to question that idea that fully-automatics aren't protected. Even "originalists" like the recently-deceased Catholic fat fuck went along with it.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

jet_lagg wrote:It's always seemed obvious to me the 2nd amendment was intended to protect the people against the authorized force of a rival or newly tyrannical government, in which case, yes, the entire thing is obsolete (it's telling that the gun rights advocates nearly always leave out the qualifier "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State"). Give the people hellfire equipped drones or take away their hunting rifles. I'd be satisfied with either outcome.

As for this ThreeFlangedDavis
The threat of armed resistance is probably sufficient in most cases to cause authoritarians in positions of power to reconsider as nobody in a democracy wants to be the one who started a gunfight with the citizenry.
I'm not convinced. For everyone's viewing pleasure, I give you a government gunfight with the citizenry (spoiler: it doesn't go well for the citizenry).

http://digg.com/video/bundy-standoff-oregon-militia

Skip to 9:14 for the action.
This article, FBI agents under investigation for possible misconduct in LaVoy Finicum shooting includes a video simultaneously depicting events inside the truck.

ThreeFlangedJavis

jet_lagg wrote:It's always seemed obvious to me the 2nd amendment was intended to protect the people against the authorized force of a rival or newly tyrannical government, in which case, yes, the entire thing is obsolete (it's telling that the gun rights advocates nearly always leave out the qualifier "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State"). Give the people hellfire equipped drones or take away their hunting rifles. I'd be satisfied with either outcome.

The threat of armed resistance is probably sufficient in most cases to cause authoritarians in positions of power to reconsider as nobody in a democracy wants to be the one who started a gunfight with the citizenry.
I'm not convinced. For everyone's viewing pleasure, I give you a government gunfight with the citizenry (spoiler: it doesn't go well for the citizenry).

Yes, but there is the embarrassment of all those bodies lying about. If the gubmint is acting egregiously unconstitutionally then the presence of protesters who can't just be brushed aside without a bodycount is going to make it a lot harder for them to get away with it. Streets full of Napalmed protestors would tend to bring a lot of angry scrutiny.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

Service Dog wrote:You ooze with too much disdain for the dumbest things a brexiter might argue/ in lieu of contending with brexit's strongest points. I find it easy to cast you in the role of an EU that was deaf to the grievences of britain's brexit-class. Thus they were wise to break-up with you, rather than acquiesce to your authority.
I've finally decided to speak up about this, and say what I think about whether or not it's better for the UK to be part of the EU.

I don't know.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

CommanderTuvok wrote:
DaveDodo007 wrote: The result upset everyone I despise in the UK, I will take an economic hit just to watch the salt flow.
There are quite a few who seem to think the decision will be reversed. :doh:
Possible. But I think that the EU does not seem to be making any efforts on self reflection as to why the UK voted to leave.

The EU is great in theory, but poor in implementation. They just need to tweak it a little so that the citizens of the member states feel like it is a more responsive form of government. Because that is what it has evolved into. A super state somewhat like the United States, minus the direct accountability.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:

Yes, but there is the embarrassment of all those bodies lying about. If the gubmint is acting egregiously unconstitutionally then the presence of protesters who can't just be brushed aside without a bodycount is going to make it a lot harder for them to get away with it. Streets full of Napalmed protestors would tend to bring a lot of angry scrutiny.
It wouldn't be napalmed protestors. That's the whole point. It would be napalmed combatants openly defying the rule of law and daring the government to do something about it. This betrays two facts about anyone who would put themselves in the position: 1) They woefully overestimate their chances of facing off against state force and not being decisively defeated, and 2) they woefully *underestimate* how unsympathetic the rest of the nation would be to their plight.

The kind of unarmed protests that do actually work, the Selma marches for example, only again beg the question of what purpose the 2nd amendment serves in the modern era.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

DaveDodo007 wrote:
d4m10n wrote:

If you had seen the propaganda from both sides it was despicable as I have already pointed out here. We had everything from WW3 to Syria joining the EU. If anybody didn't vote for their own reasons then they were gullible morons and show me a democracy that doesn't give gullible morons the vote.
The U.S. Constitution is notoriously difficult to amend, in part because we don't put national affairs to simple majority popular plebiscite.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

deLurch wrote:The EU is great in theory, but poor in implementation. They just need to tweak it a little so that the citizens of the member states feel like it is a more responsive form of government. Because that is what it has evolved into. A super state somewhat like the United States, minus the direct accountability.
That looks reasonable to me.

I always thought that the biggest driving force behind the EU was global monopoly interests, but I still thought that the good in it outweighed the harm.

The most alarming thing to me, when I read the EU constitution, was that it explicitly subjugates national governments to rapacious global monopoly interests, under the euphemism "the market."

Really?

Post by Really? »

Tim O'Neill is not a big fan of Carrier. It's hilarious.

Here's the intro to the substantial piece.
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-0MG80Fy3gwo/ ... arrier.jpg

It seems I've done something to upset Richard Carrier. Or rather, I've done something to get him to turn his nasal snark on me on behalf of his latest fawning minion. For those who aren't aware of him, Richard Carrier is a New Atheist blogger who has a post-graduate degree in history from Columbia and who, once upon a time, had a decent chance at an academic career. Unfortunately he blew it by wasting his time being a dilettante who self-published New Atheist anti-Christian polemic and dabbled in fields well outside his own; which meant he never built up the kind of publishing record essential for securing a recent doctorate graduate a university job. Now that even he recognises that his academic career crashed and burned before it got off the ground, he styles himself as an "independent scholar", probably because that sounds a lot better than "perpetually unemployed blogger".

But in the minds of New Atheist true believers, far from being a failed academic (and more recently, thanks to some rather dubious life choices, itinerant beggar), Carrier is a towering figure of vast historical wisdom. This is because if there is a tenet of New Atheist Bad History that needs defending, Richard Carrier is usually there to help. Not surprisingly, Carrier is therefore a leading proponent of the Jesus Myth thesis, though given that this is a topic held in dismally low regard by real academics and one peddled mainly by cranks and loons, that's not much of an accolade.

Two years ago Carrier brought out what he felt was going to be a game-changer in the fringe side-issue debate about whether a historical Jesus existed at all. His book, On the Historicity of Jesus: Why We Might Have Reason for Doubt (Sheffield-Phoenix, 2014), was the first peer-reviewed (well, kind of) monograph that argued against a historical Jesus in about a century and Carrier's New Atheist fans expected it to have a shattering impact on the field. It didn't. Apart from some detailed debunking of his dubious use of Bayes' Theorem to try to assess historical claims, the book has gone unnoticed and basically sunk without trace. It has been cited by no-one and has attracted one lonely academic review, which is actually a feeble puff piece by the fawning minion mentioned above. The book is a total clunker.

So the failure of his academic career and the disaster of his attempt at a groundbreaking opus has left the perennially unemployed Carrier with a lot of time on his hands. Luckily he has a number of obsessive vendettas to keep him busy. The main one of these is with leading New Testament scholar Bart Ehrman, though he also has a beef with me. Recently, to his great joy, he was able to indulge in both at once.
Another highlight:
(Pause for a moment, gentle reader, and contemplate that. Here is a person who is so obsessed with himself that he keeps files of screenshots of mere mentions of his name so that he can produce them years later if required. This is narcissism taken to dizzying giddy heights.)
http://historyforatheists.blogspot.com/ ... eased.html

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

I always thought that the biggest driving force behind the EU was rapacious global monopoly interests, but I also saw it as a way for a part of the world to resist being bullied by the US, besides some of them having the Bomb, and I saw that as a good thing. I thought that even though it was designed primarily to serve rapacious global monopoly interests, it could still be used to help improve the world for everyone, if enough people wanted it to. I still think so. The same could be true of the UK leaving the EU, if it actually does. Maybe that too, could be used to help improve the world for everyone, if enough people want it to.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Really? wrote:Tim O'Neill is not a big fan of Carrier. It's hilarious.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-0MG80Fy3gwo/ ... arrier.jpg

It seems I've done something to upset Richard Carrier. Or rather, I've done something to get him to turn his nasal snark on me on behalf of his latest fawning minion. For those who aren't aware of him, Richard Carrier is a New Atheist blogger who has a post-graduate degree in history from Columbia and who, once upon a time, had a decent chance at an academic career. Unfortunately he blew it by wasting his time being a dilettante who self-published New Atheist anti-Christian polemic and dabbled in fields well outside his own; which meant he never built up the kind of publishing record essential for securing a recent doctorate graduate a university job. Now that even he recognises that his academic career crashed and burned before it got off the ground, he styles himself as an "independent scholar", probably because that sounds a lot better than "perpetually unemployed blogger".

But in the minds of New Atheist true believers, far from being a failed academic (and more recently, thanks to some rather dubious life choices, itinerant beggar), Carrier is a towering figure of vast historical wisdom. This is because if there is a tenet of New Atheist Bad History that needs defending, Richard Carrier is usually there to help. Not surprisingly, Carrier is therefore a leading proponent of the Jesus Myth thesis, though given that this is a topic held in dismally low regard by real academics and one peddled mainly by cranks and loons, that's not much of an accolade.

Two years ago Carrier brought out what he felt was going to be a game-changer in the fringe side-issue debate about whether a historical Jesus existed at all. His book, On the Historicity of Jesus: Why We Might Have Reason for Doubt (Sheffield-Phoenix, 2014), was the first peer-reviewed (well, kind of) monograph that argued against a historical Jesus in about a century and Carrier's New Atheist fans expected it to have a shattering impact on the field. It didn't. Apart from some detailed debunking of his dubious use of Bayes' Theorem to try to assess historical claims, the book has gone unnoticed and basically sunk without trace. It has been cited by no-one and has attracted one lonely academic review, which is actually a feeble puff piece by the fawning minion mentioned above. The book is a total clunker.

So the failure of his academic career and the disaster of his attempt at a groundbreaking opus has left the perennially unemployed Carrier with a lot of time on his hands. Luckily he has a number of obsessive vendettas to keep him busy. The main one of these is with leading New Testament scholar Bart Ehrman, though he also has a beef with me. Recently, to his great joy, he was able to indulge in both at once.
Another highlight:
(Pause for a moment, gentle reader, and contemplate that. Here is a person who is so obsessed with himself that he keeps files of screenshots of mere mentions of his name so that he can produce them years later if required. This is narcissism taken to dizzying giddy heights.)
Ouch!

Poor old Tricky-Dicky, that must sting like fuck! :lol:

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Lsuoma wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: Basically, you're saying the Switzerland is the European Afghanistan.
In theory, yes. Only with less crazy religious fighters. And with no burqas. :lol:

But seriously, you could apply the tactics of Afganistan to any country which is mostly made up of mountains. It's relatively easy for a local well-trained militia of mountaineer fighters to pin down big armies by using the terrain in their favor. See also the history of Kurdistan.
So if you want to see some really awesome fighting drop a few Afghans into Switzerland and let the combat begin!
Do you mean fighting over the Afghans?

http://www.kiwibaking.com/wp-content/up ... 00x300.jpg

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Good god. That's one of the most brutal literary eviscerations I've ever seen. I honestly do feel slightly sorry for Carrier now. Only very slightly, mind.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

As I see it, the good or harm that it does for the UK to withdraw from the EU, or to stay, depends mostly on what most people do with it. I have some hopes that what most people will do with it in their everyday lives is nothing like what I see people doing with it on the Internet. Intuitively, I still think the best possibilities for everyone would be in the UK staying in, but I'm not really sure of that.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

I'm curious about how much of a role the issue of Syrian refugees played in the campaign for Brexit, explicitly or implicitly, and how much difference the result of the referendum will actually make. Did any of the leading promoters of Brexit openly appeal to anti-immigration interests, and if so, how much compared to other interests? How much difference does anyone think it will actually make in the UK's immigration policies, if it actually does withdraw from the EU?

some guy

Post by some guy »

Tapir wrote:... that feminist deck thing has gone tits up. She managed to scam the vain fools for 30k out of them so it's all good.
And of course, using the ploy Anita used when she announced she wouldn't complete her Kickstarter video series, it was at least in part due to harrassment by internet trolls and misogynists.

That follows Melody quietly giving up on her DC fashion blog after getting funded 33% above her Kickstarter goal (from 32 backers). The link to the fashion blog is now completely dead, but she still is quite active under that persona on twitter (https://twitter.com/streetfashiondc), although it seems only to hawk the sale of all her clothing and accessories as a source of income (probably because she no long fits in them, although it appears she has quite a stash, so that might allow her to sustain her lifestyle for quite a while)

The interesting question is when will Heina finally announce she has no intention of writing that book after collecting Kickstarter funds? (Or maybe the question should be: Will she actually make an announcement (as the deck lady did), or just move on without acknowledging it was a scam?)

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Tigzy wrote:

Good god. That's one of the most brutal literary eviscerations I've ever seen. I honestly do feel slightly sorry for Carrier now. Only very slightly, mind.
:clap:

http://i.imgur.com/xaJRUnv.png

some guy

Post by some guy »

Wow. Just wow.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

jet_lagg wrote: :clap:

http://i.imgur.com/xaJRUnv.png
Polyamorous ukulele? WTF? Is it just the hand position or am I missing something?

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

some guy wrote:

Wow. Just wow.
Oh fuck. Steers has been moved to comment over there, and has already raised the issue of 'blacks' and 'racism'. Not in the way one generally fears, but it doesn't take much to get Steers heading off into that ol' nigger/cunt territory. Also Steers, you borked the link to the Atheism Plus glossary.