The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
feathers

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by feathers »

MarcusAu wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:
Speaking of which, on account of nothing... I'm only a layman on history, I'm not an expert... but the Moors were black, right?
Everything that was unknown can be known (or at least guessed at):

The Moors were not black.
Nope, and if that ain't a fact, he is lying.

[youtube]S3yon2GyoiM[/youtube]

feathers

Post by feathers »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Aneris wrote:The French block roads every other week in protest of something (Phil might as well, with his new grandpa mobile on the autobahn). There was a blocking of the nuclear waste transports in northern germany, which became a sort of ritual every time. I guess the US will survive it. Barely. But you'll make it through.
Excuse me?!?

http://images.motoconcess.com/NewViewIm ... 34-b347cea

1300cc. Top speed 220+km/h, 0 to 100 in 3.8 seconds. "grandpa mobile" my ass!
That thing screams...

[youtube]iukUMRlaBBE[/youtube]

Snapfingers

Post by Snapfingers »

feathers wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Aneris wrote:The French block roads every other week in protest of something (Phil might as well, with his new grandpa mobile on the autobahn). There was a blocking of the nuclear waste transports in northern germany, which became a sort of ritual every time. I guess the US will survive it. Barely. But you'll make it through.
Excuse me?!?

http://images.motoconcess.com/NewViewIm ... 34-b347cea

1300cc. Top speed 220+km/h, 0 to 100 in 3.8 seconds. "grandpa mobile" my ass!
That thing screams...

[youtube]iukUMRlaBBE[/youtube]
"Fun, fun, fun of the autobahn"? Who is the idiot who wrote that on the video?

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Apparently Ghostbusters is getting a release in Taiwan but not mainland China because the Chinese govt. is really strict about media depictions of the dead (zombies are allowed but only if there's no bone showing, a loophole that many game developers make use of when converting games for sale in the Chinese market).

Not being able to show your movie in China is a pretty big deal.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Snapfingers wrote:"Fun, fun, fun of the autobahn"? Who is the idiot who wrote that on the video?
Ein Ausländer.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Ghostbusters is looking like it's going to be a shitshow.

I am so disappointed.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Anybody noticed that Milo is looking increasingly like a 1980s US Christian evangelist? Almost expecting him to get arrested in some sort of scandal, real soon.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 30476.html

At first, there was complete silence from officials. As rumours spread on social media, police had nothing to say about allegations of mass sexual assaults and other crimes carried out on New Year's Eve in the German city of Cologne.

It was only days later that officials reported that hundreds of women were victims of assault in Cologne, Hamburg and other German cities.

But numbers that are now emerging are likely to shock a country still coming to terms with what happened in Cologne more than half a year ago. According to a leaked police document, published by Germany's Sueddeutsche Zeitung newspaper and broadcasters NDR and WDR, the previous estimates have to be dramatically revised — upward.
Authorities now think that on New Year's Eve, more than 1,200 women were sexually assaulted in various German cities, including more than 600 in Cologne and about 400 in Hamburg.

More than 2,000 men were allegedly involved, and 120 suspects — many of them foreign nationals — have been identified.

Only four have been convicted, but more trials are underway.

On Thursday, a court in Cologne sentenced two men in the New Year's Eve assaults. Hussein A., a 21-year-old Iraqi, and Hassan T., a 26-year-old Algerian, were handed suspended one-year sentences. Both arrived in Germany in the past two years, a court spokesman said. He declined to specify whether the two had sought asylum.

Officials have linked the sexual assaults to the influx of refugees. "There is a connection between the emergence of this phenomenon and the rapid migration in 2015," Holger Münch, president of the German Federal Crime Police Office, told Sueddeutsche Zeitung.
Gilliel will be outraged at this use of facts to try and denigrate innocent refugees.

Anything occuring from the last few days? Spent 3 days clearing out our petit étang (small man-made lake) of disgusting, slimey, smelly algae before all the fish died. Then went for another trip to Oradour sur Glane with some visitors. And then had a few too many at the end of a dinner party and argued with one of my American guests about BLM, there's just too much stupid in the world. Its been happy days here.

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

UN Calls IS, Episode Two #Brexit

[youtube]cCXnZQTPHzM[/youtube]

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Phil,
I don't know about you, but many of us have seen so many youngsters get a motorbike license,, buy a machine that is too powerful for their experience and end up with their brains on the road. You have the advantage of maturity (well, probably some...) but 1300cc? It's up to you, man, but we know your track record when it come to accidents. Be careful.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

My son is in Poland and he has been banned from going to Auschwitz by his polish girlfriend. Something about not having the country smeared by German history.

He is spending a week 40 mins by taxi from the place.

I am so ashamed. For me.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Spot the abuse of statistics:
“There’s too much violence in the black community,” he said. “f you want to deal with this on the black side, you’ve got to teach your children to be respectful to the police and you’ve got to teach your children that the real danger to them is not the police; the real danger to them, 99 out of 100 times, 9,900 out of 1,000 times, are other black kids who are gonna kill them. That’s the way they’re gonna die.”

While the majority of people of any race shot to death in the U.S. are killed by other civilians, not police officers, Giuliani’s statement ignores that black men are disproportionately affected by police shootings. An ongoing Washington Post tally found that 40 percent of the unarmed men shot and killed by police last year were black, despite black men accounting for only 6 percent of the population.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/rud ... 4d514fd28e

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

Brive1987 wrote:My son is in Poland and he has been banned from going to Auschwitz by his polish girlfriend. Something about not having the country smeared by German history.

I am so ashamed. For me.
Doesn't Poland operate the museum/historic site?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

She doesn't care.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

screwtape wrote:Phil,
I don't know about you, but many of us have seen so many youngsters get a motorbike license,, buy a machine that is too powerful for their experience and end up with their brains on the road. You have the advantage of maturity (well, probably some...) but 1300cc? It's up to you, man, but we know your track record when it come to accidents. Be careful.
Contrary to what some may think, I am a very safe driver. I don't look for speed or adrenalin on the road, but for a pleasant way to travel around. The only thing that would be worrying about the 1300 is its weight, but it's so well balanced, with a low center of gravity, that there's almost no difference with the 650 I'm practicing on.

No need to worry.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Easy J wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:My son is in Poland and he has been banned from going to Auschwitz by his polish girlfriend. Something about not having the country smeared by German history.

I am so ashamed. For me.
Yes, and I think the girlfriend is a bit of an idiot on this.

Snapfingers

Post by Snapfingers »

Despite having a lot of poles killed themselves they are ashamed of the enormous polish cooperration and assistance in the holocaust. To this day antisemitism is thriving, but back during the war poles were enthusiatic.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Well I'll be buggered. Alex Gabriel isn't dead (according to Twitter).

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Brive: your son should tell her he's always wanted to visit a Polish concentration camp. He should be back home in short order. And single.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Easy J wrote:

I am so ashamed. For me.
Yes, and I think the girlfriend is a bit of an idiot on this.
She has his balls in a head lock.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

The bugger won like massively top awards for modern history (impressive enough it''d be doxing to provide detail) and yes he wrote on the holocaust .... Dope.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

I am so ashamed. For me.
I took the 12 year old daughter to Oradour sur Glane this time. They had a temporary exhibition in the museum, projecting family photos on a wall and reading out the names of those who were killed. We sat for 15 minutes and listened together before walking around the ruins. Never a better time to be reminded of the effects of the politics of identity and how easy it is to dehumanise those outside the group.

Snapfingers

Post by Snapfingers »

Well then knows he isnulting her by asking.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Brive: your son should tell her he's always wanted to visit a Polish concentration camp. He should be back home in short order. And single.
That was Obama no? :lol:

I've already become non grata by raising Polish anti semitism with her.

:mrgreen:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

HunnyBunny wrote:

I am so ashamed. For me.
I took the 12 year old daughter to Oradour sur Glane this time. They had a temporary exhibition in the museum, projecting family photos on a wall and reading out the names of those who were killed. We sat for 15 minutes and listened together before walking around the ruins. Never a better time to be reminded of the effects of the politics of identity and how easy it is to dehumanise those outside the group.
I hate your French privilage. Give her 6 years and I could run interference for her with my son ... ?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

HunnyBunny wrote:

I am so ashamed. For me.
I was 7 or 8 the first time I visited and didn't really understand the scope of what I was seeing. I went back in 2010 with my mom and Ali, and this time it really hit the mark. Ghastly.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Anybody noticed that Milo is looking increasingly like a 1980s US Christian evangelist? Almost expecting him to get arrested in some sort of scandal, real soon.
I can see it now. The tearful Youtube apology. All the way through his Dangerous Faggot tour, he was spending the nights... with his wife. And she's a feminist!

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

fuzzy wrote:[youtube]2cW8Alo_5uI[/youtube]
I hate that song.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Brive1987 wrote:The bugger won like massively top awards for modern history (impressive enough it''d be doxing to provide detail) and yes he wrote on the holocaust .... Dope.
I take it he's around Krakow, then? It's very close by.

The Poles are - with most things, really - pragmatic about the holocaust. It happened in their country, and the ones that I knew did not shy away from anything about it. Krakow bus station has a clearly signposted location for Auschwitz tours.

Silesia is otherwise a fantastic place. Hope your son can get down south to the mountains. They're stunning:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2448/3852 ... 2243_z.jpg
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7430/1658 ... 7d60_z.jpg
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7620/1623 ... 9a7a_z.jpg

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Cnutella wrote:
There's some relationship (that could probably be described mathematically) between movies that feature black computer hackers vs actual black hackers. Black hackers definitely exist in the wild but they seem to appear a lot more in movies than in real life (maybe they're just that good?). It's like the inverse square law of corporate stock imagery - the glaring whiteness of any given corporation is in an inverse square proportion to the diversity of the stock imagery they use on their web sites.
Based on TV, a full third of all judges in the US are black women.

Sassy black women.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
HunnyBunny wrote:

I am so ashamed. For me.
I was 7 or 8 the first time I visited and didn't really understand the scope of what I was seeing. I went back in 2010 with my mom and Ali, and this time it really hit the mark. Ghastly.
This was pretty much my experience.

I love Krakow. I have a water colour of the cathedral on my wall.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

katamari Damassi wrote:Another snowflake patheos blogger is trying to get in on some of those sweet sweet TJ clicks.
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/miraclegir ... the-blind/

And in true snowflake tradition, she throws herself a pity party.
Yes, the bullied little girl in me is afraid that Leroy/TAA will wait for me after school to beat me up.
TJ should ignore these parasites.
Funny how, just before I was banned at Roll to Disbelieve, I was told to go enjoy my "circle-jerk" of SJW-free atheism. (Same term, btw, that Jen McCreight used in her A+ launch.) Yet all I see here is a circle jerk of Patheos/Orbit Plussers all congratulating each other on 'standing up' to racism. Same half dozen wankers, pretending they're a movement.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

jimhabegger wrote:There is no Papa John's here in Guilin. Pizza Hut, and something called "Pizza Papa," but no Papa John's.
I hear the Dog Lover's pizza is very tasty.

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
jimhabegger wrote:There is no Papa John's here in Guilin. Pizza Hut, and something called "Pizza Papa," but no Papa John's.
I hear the Dog Lover's pizza is very tasty.
Face muscles now hurt from laughing. :D

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:Another snowflake patheos blogger is trying to get in on some of those sweet sweet TJ clicks.
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/miraclegir ... the-blind/

And in true snowflake tradition, she throws herself a pity party.
Yes, the bullied little girl in me is afraid that Leroy/TAA will wait for me after school to beat me up.
TJ should ignore these parasites.
Funny how, just before I was banned at Roll to Disbelieve, I was told to go enjoy my "circle-jerk" of SJW-free atheism. (Same term, btw, that Jen McCreight used in her A+ launch.) Yet all I see here is a circle jerk of Patheos/Orbit Plussers all congratulating each other on 'standing up' to racism. Same half dozen wankers, pretending they're a movement.
They can bitch and kvetch as much as they like, but Youtube will still be off-limits to them.

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

I am so ashamed. For me.
What? Your son is probably aware Auschwitz was build by occupying Nazi forces, not Poles. It's important, historical place and a piece of our history; nobody having functioning brain would make visiting it "sour" Poland of CURRENT YEAR.

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

Snapfingers wrote:enormous polish cooperration
Are you sure it was enormous? Can you quote me some data on it?

jimmyfromchicago

Post by jimmyfromchicago »

Brive1987 wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Brive: your son should tell her he's always wanted to visit a Polish concentration camp. He should be back home in short order. And single.
That was Obama no? :lol:

I've already become non grata by raising Polish anti semitism with her.

:mrgreen:
Sorry to hear that. Generation Snowflake is perhaps not confined to the Anglosphere, then?

I've never been to Auschwitz, but I did go to Sachsenhausen. I was impressed by how the Germans were confronting that part of their history---a couple school groups came through that day. (No, I didn't take Carrieresque advantage of that situation.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimmyfromchicago

Keating wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
HunnyBunny wrote: I took the 12 year old daughter to Oradour sur Glane this time. They had a temporary exhibition in the museum, projecting family photos on a wall and reading out the names of those who were killed. We sat for 15 minutes and listened together before walking around the ruins. Never a better time to be reminded of the effects of the politics of identity and how easy it is to dehumanise those outside the group.
This was pretty much my experience.

I love Krakow. I have a water colour of the cathedral on my wall.
I'm thinking of taking my kids to Europe next year and including a visit to Auschwitz. It sounds like a stopover in Kraków would be worth it.

(FWIW, my kids are in Europe with my ex-wife now. From the photo of the "McDonald's Venezia" receipt they sent me, I gather they're not having the most culturally immersive experience.)

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

jimmyfromchicago wrote:I'm thinking of taking my kids to Europe next year and including a visit to Auschwitz. It sounds like a stopover in Kraków would be worth it.
This is correct.

johnself

Post by johnself »

Krakow is a very nice city. A hotel in the city center is cheap and you can walk everywhere. I would also recommend visiting the salt mine which is truly amazing. Instead of Auschwitz, you could consider visiting Schindlers factory (depending on the age of your kids). I think I regret visiting Auschwitz, it's a place that will haunt you.

jimmyfromchicago

They'll be 14 and 16, but I'll definitely think about this.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

johnself wrote:Krakow is a very nice city. A hotel in the city center is cheap and you can walk everywhere. I would also recommend visiting the salt mine which is truly amazing. Instead of Auschwitz, you could consider visiting Schindlers factory (depending on the age of your kids). I think I regret visiting Auschwitz, it's a place that will haunt you.
Huh! When we visited Schindler's factory, they had turned it into a kind of Disney World experience, complete with animatronics and reconstruction of the Płaszów camp in one of the rooms! And it was all very...camp.

Auschwitz, while haunting (I lost it at the toys display in camp I), is a necessary visit for anyone willing to take in the scope of the Holocaust.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Not completely unlike this, that Schindler museum:

[youtube]GOg5WZrGTAg[/youtube]

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

[youtube]pVHAQFxkiCA[/youtube]

Liana Kerzner on the concept of Moral Licensing, and how it affects the culture wars. It's focused on gaming, but honestly, Moral Licensing basically explains pretty much everything we see from the FTB brigade.

Basically TL;DR, Some people who see themselves as doing good acts are more likely to do bad acts because of that.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Karmakin wrote:[youtube]pVHAQFxkiCA[/youtube]

Liana Kerzner on the concept of Moral Licensing, and how it affects the culture wars. It's focused on gaming, but honestly, Moral Licensing basically explains pretty much everything we see from the FTB brigade.

Basically TL;DR, Some people who see themselves as doing good acts are more likely to do bad acts because of that.
I've been disappointed by Malcolm Gladwell's new podcast, "Revisionist History". One episode relies on Moral License to explain why Julia Gillard could be the first, And Last, female Prime Minister in Australia. (The token breaking the glass ceiling-- gives license to sexists to never elect another).

I find it more persuasive-- that Gillard's own moral license as a feminist-- caused her to behave in repellant ways, which showed the nation they shouldnt give another like-her the job.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
johnself wrote:Krakow is a very nice city. A hotel in the city center is cheap and you can walk everywhere. I would also recommend visiting the salt mine which is truly amazing. Instead of Auschwitz, you could consider visiting Schindlers factory (depending on the age of your kids). I think I regret visiting Auschwitz, it's a place that will haunt you.
Huh! When we visited Schindler's factory, they had turned it into a kind of Disney World experience, complete with animatronics and reconstruction of the Płaszów camp in one of the rooms! And it was all very...camp.

Auschwitz, while haunting (I lost it at the toys display in camp I), is a necessary visit for anyone willing to take in the scope of the Holocaust.
I went there in the mid-80's when Poland was communist. I remember watching a video with an english voice-over going on about "fascist-this" and "fascist-that" and about how fascism had been the greatest threat to humanity. I thought it was irritating how they lumped everything together into the catch-all "fascism", as though the Nazis and Fascists were exactly the same thing and as though there weren't plenty of enthusiastic fellow travelers who aided in the Holocaust. I'd be very interested to see what the site is like these days.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

I had an opportunity to go to Krakow as a Peace Corps volunteer in the 90's. I chose to go to Africa instead, because I figured that culturally Poland was too much like my hometown, I didn't want to learn Polish, I wanted a motorcycle-which the Africa placement allowed, and because the Krakow position came with a warning not to take it if you have any respiratory problems because the air pollution was so bad there.

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

katamari Damassi wrote:I didn't want to learn Polish
Smart thing to do. You'd have to learn all the żółte źdźbło ususzonego kłosa chrzęści pod ciżemką rozwrzeszczanego gówniarza.

(The yellow blade of dried ear rustles under the (medieval boot) of an asshole who screams his head off)

jimmyfromchicago

sp0tlight wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:I didn't want to learn Polish
Smart thing to do. You'd have to learn all the żółte źdźbło ususzonego kłosa chrzęści pod ciżemką rozwrzeszczanego gówniarza.

(The yellow blade of dried ear rustles under the (medieval boot) of an asshole who screams his head off)
Mark Twain said the Polish language had so few vowels, the Poles had to build fences of consonants to keep them in.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Shakesville McEwen covers the BLM protests over the weekend, doesn't mention the 5 dead cops once.

Also McEwen on Bernie Sanders a couple of weeks ago was like-"Bernie what are you doing? You can't win. Endorse Hillary and unite the party against Trump!"
Bernie endorses Hillary.
McEwen responds with a fuck you, you nobody. We don't need you.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Service Dog wrote:I've been disappointed by Malcolm Gladwell
Did you really need to continue past this point? Gladwell's about as shallow a thinker as you can get. Even when he's right about something, he doesn't really understand why.

Guestus Aurelius

Seen on Facebook, "liked" by several friends.
AlwaysListenExceptWhenSomeoneDisagrees.png
(72.3 KiB) Downloaded 252 times

Guestus Aurelius

You know what's frustrating?

One or two years ago, I would have had no problem sharing my thoughts on police brutality with people I know. Spoiler: I'm against it, and I recognize that it affects black people disproportionately in the USA. Hell, this is a topic I've spoken out about for many years.

But now I'm afraid to. Why? Because even though I'm on the "same side" of the issue as BLM, I don't agree with them in the right way. They've made it impossible to show support for their cause without accepting their entire ideology. Either you're 100% supportive of everything they stand for and everything they do, or you're a filthy racist who loves white supremacy.

If a referendum comes up on, say, body cams for cops, I'll vote for it. But as things stand, I must remain silent or be ostracized, even though I agree that there's a problem here that needs addressing.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

Kirbmarc wrote:
jimhabegger wrote: Could you give some examples of some possible applications for all that, for any of us, or for decision makers or policy makers?
The first practical concern would be for people to stop taking parts in spreading misleading information and practice more skepticism towards information in general, even if it seems to "agree with your lived experience". It's also good to rationally control one's temper instead of writing online rants. People should be encouraged to discuss facts with a cool head and a detached approach instead of being encouraged to express their feelings in an explosive manner.

Skepticism and a focus on evidence come in handy here. It's also useful to try to have a tentative charitable reading of other people's intention unless they explicitly reveal to have ill intentions, to avoid demonization.

People should also avoid voting politicians just because they say what they want to hear and focus more on their track record and the possible effects of their policies. Skeptics should educated people to recognize propaganda and political posturing.

Policy wise I think that people should support a gradual legalization of the sale recreational drugs, revising the justice system so that there are no disproportionately high mandatory sentences, revising the prison system so that corporations can't handle prisons, revising law enforcement so that people are trained as community policemen instead of a standing army, stop supporting campaigns to convict more people by dismantling the principles of "innocent until proven guilty", devoting more resources to public schools, and making sexual education of teenagers which includes instructions on the use of contraceptives mandatory.

A limited ban on certain kinds of guns (automatic and semi-automatic rifles) would also be a good idea.

This is what progressives should support instead of focusing on internet slacktivism, special pronouns, political correctness, witch hunts and promoting social tensions.
Do you have any ideas about how any of that might happen, and how any of us might help it happen?

Guestus Aurelius

By the way, here is some interesting new polling data on support for BLM: http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/20 ... -movement/

Seems that well over 50% of black Americans support BLM (less than 50% "strongly support").

Here is some polling data from last year that suggests that support may have increased (the questions asked are very different, though): http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_ ... ves_matter

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

I am so ashamed. For me.
He should ask her to compromise with a visit to Katyn instead

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:By the way, here is some interesting new polling data on support for BLM: http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/20 ... -movement/

Seems that well over 50% of black Americans support BLM (less than 50% "strongly support").

Here is some polling data from last year that suggests that support may have increased (the questions asked are very different, though): http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_ ... ves_matter
I suspect that survey became suddenly out of date about three days ago.

jimmyfromchicago

Guestus Aurelius wrote:You know what's frustrating?

One or two years ago, I would have had no problem sharing my thoughts on police brutality with people I know. Spoiler: I'm against it, and I recognize that it affects black people disproportionately in the USA. Hell, this is a topic I've spoken out about for many years.

But now I'm afraid to. Why? Because even though I'm on the "same side" of the issue as BLM, I don't agree with them in the right way. They've made it impossible to show support for their cause without accepting their entire ideology. Either you're 100% supportive of everything they stand for and everything they do, or you're a filthy racist who loves white supremacy.

If a referendum comes up on, say, body cams for cops, I'll vote for it. But as things stand, I must remain silent or be ostracized, even though I agree that there's a problem here that needs addressing.
I pretty much think the same way you do. One thing I don't get is Black Brunch. What purpose does disrupting the meals of hipsters and rich liberals---who probably already agree with you---serve? Why did Chicago BLM protest at restaurants in the Wicker and Lincoln Park neighborhoods? Why didn't they go out to Edison Park or Mt. Greenwood, where the cops are drinking brunch?